What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Thanks to @Val Rannous for running the charity contest and @Hawks64 (plus anyone else who helped with the playlists). Thanks to @krista4 for pulling this thing together and doing 95% of the work not to mention your generous financial donations on top of that. Also thanks for making a few changes to help make my job easier. :)

Gonna say this one was way more work and not sure it was even that valuable to anyone but it's done now so I can change my avater. :wink:

Thanks to @Val Rannous for running the charity contest and @Hawks64 (plus anyone else who helped with the playlists). Thanks to @krista4 for pulling this thing together and doing 95% of the work not to mention your generous financial donations on top of that. Also thanks for making a few changes to help make my job easier. :)

Gonna say this one was way more work and not sure it was even that valuable to anyone but it's done now so I can change my avater. :wink:
Oh shoot, also thanks to all you knowledgable music fans for the excellent commentary and discussion . I read nearly every post along the way (skipped most of Krista's)

Top song: “Gimme Shelter”

Top non-Big 3 song: “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” (2nd overall)

Ace Award co-winners: Mark Ronson for “Valerie” (22nd overall) and, since that was a lame way to win, Phil Collins for “In the Air Tonight” (38th overall)

Favorite Songs from British Isles Artists According to Middle-Aged Dummies:
1. Gimme Shelter - 217
2. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - 205
3. Into the Mystic - 195
4. Baba O’Riley - 181
5. Comfortably Numb - 177
6. Paint It, Black – 154
TIE 7. Solsbury Hill - 150
TIE 7. A Day in the Life – 150
TIE 9. Heroes - 148
TIE 9. Waterloo Sunset - 148
11. When the Levee Breaks - 143
12. Train in Vain - 137
13. Zombie - 124
TIE 14. Bad - 113
TIE 14. Here Comes the Sun - 113
TIE 14. War Pigs (including War Pigs/Luke’s Wall) - 113
17. Kashmir - 110
18. Abbey Road Medley – 109
19. Sympathy for the Devil – 108
20. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - 105
21. The House of the Rising Sun – 104
22. Valerie - 103
23. Time - 101
24. Let Down – 98
25. A Whiter Shade of Pale – 97

I almost feel guilty for not voting for Into the Mystic as I definitely think it's his best song and worthy of being the greatest UK song of them all - I blame my wife and her brown eyes.

Fearless may be the most under-rated Floyd song.
I agree. Its been my favorite Floyd song for a lot of years. A beautiful song about the struggle to believe in yourself......which ultimately happens in the song, in a very English way. At the end, the Liverpool fans chanting "You Will Never walk Alone"......the support of the "faces in the crowd"

It was cool to see two songs from Meddle be chosen #1! Dogs is a great track too, and I was stoked to see it chosen.

Thanks K4, Val, falguy, Hawks for all you did! Nice work Pips!
Peace out!

Last edited:
Known-to-me (that is, all but two songs one song) favorites from #1, not including my own pick, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding or London Calling, all of which were on my list:

Echoes -- Pink Floyd (Zamboni)
Abbey Road Medley -- The Beatles (MAC 32)
Here Comes the Sun -- The Beatles (Doc Oc)
In the Light -- Led Zeppelin (Shuke)
A Whiter Shade of Pale -- Procol Harum (Simey)
Hey Jude -- The Beatles (Higgins)
Let It Be -- The Beatles (Yankee23Fan)
All Things Must Pass -- George Harrison (OH) -- On most days, my #2 solo George, after What Is Life
Bad -- U2 (Scorchy)
Waterloo Sunset -- The Kinks (Don Quixote and Westerberg)
Comfortably Numb -- Pink Floyd (Falguy)
Fearless -- Pink Floyd (Manster)
Tin Soldier -- Small Faces (Binky) -- I called this because of the Todd Rundgren connection. His cover appears on the same album as Bang the Drum All Day.
Time -- Pink Floyd (Chaos34)
Fool in the Rain -- Led Zeppelin (Hawks64)
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You -- Led Zeppelin (Just Win Baby)
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding? -- Elvis Costello (Eephus)
Pyramid Song -- Radiohead (KarmaPolice)
Black Star -- Radiohead (Titusbramble)
Victoria -- The Kinks (Mister CIA)
Heroes -- David Bowie (Doug B) -- Five votes, all in the top three. I guess this wins the "when they love it, they REALLY love it" award.
The Village Green Preservation Society -- The Kinks (Landryshat)

Last edited:
Stones picks got heavily concentrated into a coupe songs. All those Gimme Shelter voters for example.
If I had moved off of Gimme Shelter, it would have been to Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which wouldn't have helped expand their song appearances.

They would have benefited from fewer people sticking to the one-song-per-artist theme, as would have most of the biggest names, I would think.

@krista4 I didn't know Nick Drake was before this excercise. I read his Wiki page and I'm kind of intrigued. Sounds like a very talented, yet tormented soul.
He was featured prominently in some of Tim's countdowns. Big influence on certain types of indie singer/songwriters.
Yeah he is great. 3 very strong albums, each with a different feel.

Stones picks got heavily concentrated into a coupe songs. All those Gimme Shelter voters for example.
If I had moved off of Gimme Shelter, it would have been to Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which wouldn't have helped expand their song appearances.

They would have benefited from fewer people sticking to the one-song-per-artist theme, as would have most of the biggest names, I would think.
Yep, I could certainly list a lot of LZ and Beatles songs that are "worthy" of being selected here.

Yep, I could certainly list a lot of LZ and Beatles songs that are "worthy" of being selected here.
The Beatles benefited from Zegras11 NOT sticking to one song per artist, as he took 11 of their songs (plus one George solo).

Fearless may be the most under-rated Floyd song.
I agree. Its been my favorite Floyd song for a lot of years. A beautiful song about the struggle to believe in yourself......which ultimately happens in the song, in a very English way. At the end, the Liverpool fans chanting "You Will Never walk Alone"......the support of the "faces in the crowd"
Fearless is the one tune omitted from the Pompeii movie that I wish they had performed.

Added a tab that shows all the songs selected for each artist sorted by artist. Ignore the "xxxx total" line. I have no idea why that got added and I'm not about to manually remove it

Also, in case you wondered and i can't recall if K4 posted this but I count (by I, I mean Excel)
369 different artists
898 different songs

Here's who shared my 31 songs. No one else picked my top 3.

Dogs -- Pink Floyd -- 31 points -- #1
Achilles Last Stand -- Led Zeppelin -- 30 points -- #2
Tomorrow Never Knows -- The Beatles -- 29 points -- #3
Gimme Shelter -- The Rolling Stones -- 28 points -- #4 (also selected by Andy, Binky, Don Quixote, Just Win Baby, jwb, Marco, Mister CIA and Worrierking)
Where The Streets Have No Name -- U2 -- 27 points -- #5 (also selected by Andy, Falguy and Zegras11)
Firth of Fifth -- Genesis -- 26 points -- #6
Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding -- Elton John -- 25 points -- #7 (also selected by Chaos34, Doug B, DrIanMalcolm, Simsarge, Yankee23Fan, Zamboni and Zegras11)
Town Called Malice -- The Jam -- 24 points -- #8 (also selected by Chaos34)
Long Snake Moan -- PJ Harvey -- 23 points -- #9
Baby Blue -- Badfinger -- 22 points -- #10 (also selected by AAABatteries, Shuke and Simey)
21st Century Schizoid Man -- King Crimson -- 21 points -- #11
20th Century Man -- The Kinks -- 20 points -- #12
London Calling -- The Clash -- 19 points -- #13 (also selected by Binky, Don Quixote, DrIanMalcolm and Worrierking)
How Soon Is Now? -- The Smiths -- 18 points -- #14 (also selected by Doug B, Just Win Baby, Shuke and Simey)
Empty Pages -- Traffic -- 17 points -- #15 (also selected by Shuke)
Jive Talkin' -- Bee Gees -- 16 points -- #16
The Song Is Over -- The Who -- 15 points -- #17
Yours Is No Disgrace -- Yes -- 14 points -- #18 (also selected by Binky)
Fools Gold -- The Stone Roses -- 13 points -- #19
Showdown -- ELO -- 12 points -- #20 (also selected by Doc Oc)
Kill Your Television -- Ned's Atomic Dustbin -- 11 points -- #21
Son of a Preacher Man -- Dusty Springfield -- 10 points -- #22 (also selected by Don Quixote, DrIanMalcolm, Falguy, Ilov80s and Landryshat)
Rolling in the Deep -- Adele -- 9 points -- #23 (also selected by AAABatteries, Don Quixote and MAC 32)
Valerie -- Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse -- 8 points -- #24 (also selected by DrIanMalcolm, Eephus, Hov34, MAC 32, Mrs. Eephus, Scorchy and Westerberg)
Every Picture Tells a Story -- Rod Stewart -- 7 points -- #25 (also selected by Doc Oc, jwb and Mister CIA)
Cruel to Be Kind -- Nick Lowe -- 6 points -- #26 (also selected by Krista4 and Simsarge)
Pump It Up -- Elvis Costello -- 5 points -- #27 (also selected by jwb)
Suspect Device (1979 album version) -- Stiff Little Fingers -- 4 points -- #28 (also selected by OH and Scorchy)
Child in Time -- Deep Purple -- 3 points -- #29 (also selected by Zamboni)
A Tab in the Ocean -- Nektar -- 2 points -- #30
Nine Feet Underground -- Caravan -- 1 point -- #31

Mrs. Eephus: To Sir With Love – Lulu
I was surprised by this one but I probably shouldn't since I know how much she loves the movie and Sidney Poitier. Lulu's theme song is a beautiful love song with an exceptional string arrangement. It was the best selling single in the US during 1967. Six degrees fun fact: the composer Mark London was best friends with famed Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant. London and Grant managed 60s Scottish band Stone the Crows whose singer Maggie Bell who sang with Rod Stewart on "Every Picture Tells a Story" and whose guitarist Les Harvey was electrocuted on stage during a performance.

Mrs. Eephus first saw the film To Sir With Love at the age of six. She said it was a life changing experience for her. She fell in love with Poitier of course but more importantly it was the first time she learned there were Black people in England. She says it opened her eyes to the wider world and set the course for a lifetime of Anglophilia.

@ditkaburgers: If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) - The 1975
Like a lot of us probably did, ditkaburgers went with her favorite song by her favorite band at #1. "If You're Too Shy" has the dance beats, infectious chorus and au courant lyrics that the band does well.

The single was released in April 2020 with the album Note on a Conditional Form following one month later. She says she'll forever associate the song with the early days of the pandemic. When she saw the band perform the song in concert last year, the memories and emotions came flooding back and she found herself crying.

ephus: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding - Elvis Costello
I didn't pick this song to be edgy and cool although there was a time when I went to college in the late 70s where aligning yourself with what would come to be called New Wave was such a statement.

I could have gone with a dozen different Costello songs in this countdown It originally bothered me a bit to select a cover over the many great songs written by Costello but the message of this one has spoken to me for going on 45 years. The Attractions pump up the intensity from the original version by pub rockers Brinsley Schwartz. The original treated the lyrics with irony but Costello's raises the stakes turning the lyrics from a question to a demand.

DrIanMalcolm:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
(duplicate – sixth, seventh, AND eighth votes today, and the non-Big 3 favorite song winner!!)

simsarge:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John h
(duplicate – sixth, seventh, AND eighth votes today, and the non-Big 3 favorite song winner!!)

Zegras11:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hifive::hifive::hifive:

Pretty Amazing that Maggie May went unselected.

This got me to looking at my long list and I noticed some songs that weren't taken from well represented artists and then some on my list that no one took any songs from:

Artists were picked, but surprised these songs weren't (meaning they were on my long list):

10cc - I'm Not In Love
The Beatles - Dear Prudence, Revolution1
Coldplay - Clocks
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Harry Styles - Adore You :bag:
Howard Jones - New Song, Things Can Only Get Better
Kate Bush - Cloudbursting
Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate, Cold Little Heart
The Fixx - One Thing Leads To Another, Secret Separation
Yes - Owner of A Lonely Heart, Leave It (I loved 90125)
Talk Talk - Life is What You Make It

Artists on my list that weren't even picked (I could be wrong on a couple of these):

ABC - When Smokey Sings, Be Near Me (I think they were in someone's Last 5 Out?)
Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro
Jamiroquai - Alright, Virtual Insanity
Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away :cry:
T'Pau - Heart and Soul
Wham! - Everything She Wants

Had a blast and thanks to everyone who participated, told stories, created playlists, shouted out songs, introduced new artists, and made me laugh.

And especially @krista4 for putting up with us, and ALL the work she put into this. You are amazing!

♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Since he was a double winner, Pip has kindly agreed to have his portion of the ***OFFICIAL*** contest winnings go to a charity of Eephus's choice given that Eephus lost the tiebreaker by only six points. @Eephus , @Just Win Baby , and @Pip's Invitation , please let us know your designated charities.

Thanks @pipsinvitation for deferring on the Official Contest winnings. I didn't understand the rules when I entered and still am confused by the scoring system but I'm pleased to finish second or something.

Since this was a music thread, I'm choosing a music-related charity.

Girls Write Nashville is a nonprofit songwriting mentorship program based in Nashville that cultivates empowered expression and positive community for teen girls. They offer free songwriting and music production classes to middle and high school students that culminate with the recording of the young artistss' work in professional studios such as the legendary Sound Emporium, and Studio NPL. The organization was co-founded by a grade school classmate of @ditkaburgers who went on to study at Berklee and is now a singer-songwriter in Nashville.

the Stones pick that didn't happen - that surprised me

Jumpin' Jack Flash :kicksrock:
No Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice or Midnight Rambler either. Less shocking is no Brown Sugar, whose lyrics have not dated well.

I'm not much for Midnight Rambler, which is a meandering song, but the others are solid. I just went with more ragged names from the catalog. It may be that we've heard some of these so much that the others still have ways of surprising us.

Users who are viewing this thread