What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

Mama’s don’t let your babies grow up to be RBs.

Eckler deserves to get paid but won’t because of age and lack of longevity for RBs. Sucks for him.
And the absolute glut of FA & rookie RB coming.
is there really a huge glut though? Jacobs is off the board, there's some decent guys like Montgomery, Damien Harris, Sanders, etc. And then the draft has one stud, one smallish top tier back and then some other late 2nd or 3rd round guys with potential but who knows if they'll work out.

Eckler deserves to get paid but won’t because of age and lack of longevity for RBs. Sucks for him.
is there really a huge glut though? Jacobs is off the board, there's some decent guys like Montgomery, Damien Harris, Sanders, etc. And then the draft has one stud, one smallish top tier back and then some other late 2nd or 3rd round guys with potential but who knows if they'll work out.
Chabonet, Tucker, Evans, and several other rookie RB could come in and take the between the tackles role while Kelley could take over the receiving role

There’s also Mattison, who would be a fantastic fit in the Chargers offense. Monty is a very good back, and Sanders is the most like Eke of the bunch.

So yes - there is a glut. At least enough of one to negate most of Eke’s leverage. Likely why he’s asking to be traded since he knows the Chargers are unlikely to pay him. I’m betting his trade market is fairly soft as well.

Chabonet, Tucker, Evans, and several other rookie RB could come in and take the between the tackles role while Kelley could take over the receiving role

There’s also Mattison, who would be a fantastic fit in the Chargers offense. Monty is a very good back, and Sanders is the most like Eke of the bunch.

So yes - there is a glut. At least enough of one to negate most of Eke’s leverage. Likely why he’s asking to be traded since he knows the Chargers are unlikely to pay him. I’m betting his trade market is fairly soft as well.
Well i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the value of those guys you mentioned. think they're all decent but not close to replacements for Ekeler.

Well i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the value of those guys you mentioned. think they're all decent but not close to replacements for Ekeler.
I’m not saying they are replacement level talent. I neither agreed nor disagreed with that statement.

I’m saying their availability takes away Ekeler’s leverage.

That’s an entirely different statement. You’re welcome to agree to disagree with that one though.

I’m not saying they are replacement level talent. I neither agreed nor disagreed with that statement.

That’s an entirely different statement. You’re welcome to agree to disagree with that one though.
i guess i wasn't arguing against it taking away his leverage but more that this year is not a huge glut of talent that significantly impacts his value more than any other year

i guess i wasn't arguing against it taking away his leverage but more that this year is not a huge glut of talent that significantly impacts his value more than any other year
Fair to question - I believe there’s a larger number of talented backs available than years past. We came up with a pretty good combined list.

They could also draft Bijan and deal Eke. My question is how soft his trade value will be considering the FAs and rookies.

not much of a drop off to Kelley
Ummmm....
Ypc pretty close on 1/3 of the carries. 1/3 is getting pretty significant.
Ekeler does other things great......right?
Catches passes at .5 ypc less than Kelley.

To be fair Ek has a much higher catch percentage. I’m not arguing Kelley is better, just that the drop off from a $10 million a year rb to $1 million is much less than that drop at other positions

Ummmm....

To be fair Ek has a much higher catch percentage. I’m not arguing Kelley is better, just that the drop off from a $10 million a year rb to $1 million is much less than that drop at other positions
Sure, if you want to be average everywhere, you can pay a lot less at every position.
Not saying give him some stupid deal, but people are undervaluing him here.

I am guessing the most likely outcome is Ekeler plays his deal out on the Chargers, And this is a big nothingburger.
Unless a team actually offers a 2nd or whatever, then he's probably gone.
I agree with this. I just don’t see how he has the leverage to pry any more money out of the chargers, and I don’t really see any other team overpaying for him in a trade at his age.

Ummmm....
I'm not sure how we could actually really prove this one way or the other, so I'll drop it after your response, but ypc in such a small sample size is irrelevant, and the rushing stats are only a small part of it anyway. Ekeler's a far bigger threat in the passing game.
Sample size is getting up there rushing wise. Agreed Ekeler is a far bigger passing threat. I was surprised how many Carries Kelley had last year. Eke wasn’t treated like a bell cow. Likely the Chargers system more so than Eke’s ability, but here we are.

Ummmm....

Come on, man. "Not much of a drop off to Kelley" is a really bad take. You are not looking at the right metrics or considering the right context. Is this a schtick response?

Ummmm....

Come on, man. "Not much of a drop off to Kelley" is a really bad take. You are not looking at the right metrics or considering the right context. Is this a schtick response?

Why did the Chargers give Kelley 25% of the carries (and he missed 4 games) when pretty much every game mattered? That split for the Raiders was about 6% to Bolden. Please why a team would settle for such a big drop off one of every four plays?

Now if you do come up with an explanation, please also explain why said team would re-negotiate a contract of that player.

Most likely will get the Bell treatment. Will they just tag him in 2024 after his contract is up next year? It would be dumb for the Chargers to trade him this year and draft a rookie RB. Better spent on a TE they need. I don't really like the 2nd/3rd rd RB draft options this year.

Ummmm....

Why did the Chargers give Kelley 25% of the carries (and he missed 4 games) when pretty much every game mattered? That split for the Raiders was about 6% to Bolden. Please why a team would settle for such a big drop off one of every four plays?

1. The Chargers had 360 rushing attempts by RBs in 18 games last season. Ekeler had 217 (60.3%). Kelley, the RB2, had 76 (21.1%). I don't see anything remarkable about that.

2. The Chargers gave their RBs 535 touch opportunities -- 360 rushing attempts and 170 targets. Ekeler had 348 (65.0%). Kelley, the RB2, had 102 (19.1%). Again, I don't see anything remarkable about that... and I see a reason for Kelley to have 21% of the rushing attempts, given that Ekeler had 131 targets to go along with his 217 carries.

3. Not a big needle mover, but Ekeler played less than usual in the week 18 game, which didn't matter to the Chargers. He had 15 opportunities, less than his average per game (19.3), while Kelley had 9 opportunities, greater than his average (5.7).

4. Most importantly, the Chargers had an incompetent OC last season, which is why he was fired immediately after the season. He has now been replaced by Kellen Moore, who is proven to be a better OC. So any questionable usage choices were suspect and should not be repeated.

Now if you do come up with an explanation, please also explain why said team would re-negotiate a contract of that player.

Because:

1. In the past 4 seasons, he has finished in the top 10 in receptions (across all positions) 2 times, top 10 in YFS 3 times, and #1 in TDs 2 times. These finishes would be more impressive had he not missed 6 games due to injury in 2020.

2. He is the #7 active player in YPC and #9 in yards per touch.

3. He is a highly respected player in the locker room, especially as a UDFA who worked his *** off to become one of the best RBs in the league. And especially at his size, which meant he had to work even harder.

4. And, practically, giving him an extension means lowering his cap number in 2023, which helps the team in its current "all in" approach to 2023.

Any questions?

Call me crazy, and I'm an owner, he's awesome in fantasy but he's not that great of a rb. That system and the tds absolutely make him and he's going to hit the downside of his career pretty fast here...

Call me crazy, and I'm an owner, he's awesome in fantasy but he's not that great of a rb. That system and the tds absolutely make him and he's going to hit the downside of his career pretty fast here...
I'm with you brother.

Great in fantasy, decent receiving game weapon, below par rusher. Not the sort of player you trade anything of value for, or even necessarily give a decent contract to in my opinion.

He’s been granted permission to seek a trade. I can’t imagine he’s as valuable on any other team, but Miami stands out as a place he could still rack up the fantasy points. Hoping for that!

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chargers granted Austin Ekeler permission to seek a trade.

Ekeler's trade request comes after he and the Chargers failed to reach an agreement on an extension. The soon-to-be 28-year-old will now look to find a suitor willing to fork over top dollar. Teams in immediate need of slashing running back help include the Bears and Dolphins, as well as the Bills and Chiefs. The Broncos could also be a consideration, as Javonte Williams' knee injury sounds like one that could sideline him longer than expected. Cincinnati could emerge if it cuts Joe Mixon.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:20 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chargers granted Austin Ekeler permission to seek a trade.

Ekeler's trade request comes after he and the Chargers failed to reach an agreement on an extension. The soon-to-be 28-year-old will now look to find a suitor willing to fork over top dollar. Teams in immediate need of slashing running back help include the Bears and Dolphins, as well as the Bills and Chiefs. The Broncos could also be a consideration, as Javonte Williams' knee injury sounds like one that could sideline him longer than expected. Cincinnati could emerge if it cuts Joe Mixon.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:20 PM ET

Surely the Chargers would not trade him to the Bills, Chiefs, Broncos, Bengals, or Dolphins. If the Bears were to be interested and willing to make a reasonable offer, that should be the target from among these teams.

I really don’t think Ekeler is going to find a robust market of teams willing to trade capital for him and then give him a top 5 RB contract at age 28. I fully expect he will play this season for the Chargers.

is Ekeler the biggest draft miss by nfl teams ever? I'm sure there are some other undrafted greats, but he's been top 5 at his position for years now

As much as I would like him to remain a Charger, I'm thinking he ends up in Chicago. He'd fit well there methinks.
He won’t like cold weather.
He grew up and played college football in northern Colorado
I think he'll be okay
he did play high school ball in northern CO....in the town I live in (Eaton)....no real weather issues as the high school football season is over by late November....but he played college ball in Gunnison which is indeed one of the coldest places in the state....the town sits in a bowl and the temps are bone chilling...dude is pretty good friends with my kids....long snapper for the Raiders is also from our town...

Can we throw Spiller in the trash?

is Ekeler the biggest draft miss by nfl teams ever? I'm sure there are some other undrafted greats, but he's been top 5 at his position for years now
Arian Foster comes to mind as another undrafted RB who was pretty great for a short period but yes, Ekeler has to be on that list.

Can we throw Spiller in the trash?
Seems like a safe bet since he was beat out by Kelley pretty soundly.

Deep bench probably a hold. Ya never know.

It is reasonable to view him as a long shot to ascend to a fantasy meaningful role, but keep in mind he was injured during preseason and the early regular season last year, which limited his opportunity to compete. Agree he is a hold.

Users who are viewing this thread