What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2023 Pro Cycling Thread*** - The Vuelta will be a Primoz, Vigo, G, Remco mosh pit (2 Viewers)

Here you go https://lanternerouge.com/2023/07/1...r-in-week-3-tour-de-france-2023-stages-16-17/

After the second rest day, this year’s sole time-trial ended with a climb up Côte de Domancy (6.05 km, 6.84%) after a rolling course beforehand. Jonas Vingegaard did a historic performance, beating Pogačar on the 22.4 km course by 1:38 min and everyone else by at least 2:51 min. According to our calculations, Vingegaard did 7.60 ᵉW/Kg for 13:21 min. This performance would put it as one of the greatest of all time.

The comparables...Patani and Ulrich. They are also underestimating his w/kg. If you watch him pedal quite frequently his leg would swing out wide.

Jonas did 7.46 w/kg for 11:17 in Itzulia Basque Country race in April. That was the highest w/kg since since Alberto Contador (2009 Verbier.) 6th and final stage, attacked with 2 km left on the penultimate climb (4.1Km @ 9%, thought the section where he launched was 14.4% - ended up soloing the final 28.4 km to win the stage by 47 seconds and the race by 2:24.

Jonas Vingegaard Pushes All-Time Great Watts

Big fan of the author you linked (my article Is from the same blog); he's a good Twitter follow. https://twitter.com/CyclingGraphs

That said, he works for Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast. They're propellor heads who have done consulting work for Jumbo-Visma. The brains behind all that w/kg stuff is Patrick Broe, an Australian lawyer who lives in Andorra. I think their content is fantastic but you do you have to keep in mind they've taken fees from TJV and they're not going to say or write anything that endangers that relationship.

I'm not keen on the presumption of guilt based solely on performance. I like Vingegaard, have read a lot about his humble background and think it's kind of crazy a semi-pro cyclist went from setting Strava records on training runs to the UCI World Tour.

FTR, I like Tadej Pogačar a ton as well - what he has done by age 25 is below only Merckx. The tribalism of their respective fans is baffling to me. They both seem like good dudes.

The sport has always been dirty, the first champion was DQ'ed for hopping on trains & riding in cars instead of riding the course. Cocaine in the 1920s, amphetamines in the postwar, and a plethora of methods (EPO, growth hormones, insulin, testosterone, DHEA, IGF-1, Oxyglobin, cortisone and blood doping) in Armstrong-Ulrich-Landis-Rassmussen-Contador era.

There have 7 mountain stages in this TDF. In 6 of them, either Pogačar or Vingegaard have set new climbing records. Does that alone mean they are dirty? It's definitely up for discussion.

I prefer to just appreciate the competition. Clean or dirty, getting on the bike for 6 hours a day and riding 2,100 miles whilst climbing 188,000 vertical feet is an amazing achievement.

Jonas gave four blood samples in the last 48 hours. Those will be stored for years; if the testing hasn't caught up to whatever they might be doing, eventually they will. But until then I'm not going to presume he is guilty.

If he and/or Tadej are dirty, it would be disappointing. Not surprising, but would definitely be a bummer. I'd like to believe the technology, the aero, the diet, the increased training are all reasonable explanations. Jonas was tested as a teenager and his VO2Max is higher than Indurin, second highest of any athlete ever. That and setting Strava records were before TJV discovered him, when he was packing fish in ice to pay the rent. Do people think he was dirty then? Seems absurd.

But it's the nature of the sport. People are always going to be skeptical no matter how many years pass since back when the whole peloton was doping and ASO didn't GAF.
Idgaf let ‘em dope. Entertain me!

If you watch him pedal quite frequently his leg would swing out wide.

What's the implication here?

This point was actually discussed on r/peloton but I haven't been able to find it. I forget exactly what people said about it, but a couple of experienced riders explained what was going on. Wish I could remember what they said but it didn't seem nefarious in any way.

(basically if you watch from directly behind his legs bend or bow out at the knees from time to time)
Ive noticed this a lot. He does it all the time.

Here you go https://lanternerouge.com/2023/07/1...r-in-week-3-tour-de-france-2023-stages-16-17/

After the second rest day, this year’s sole time-trial ended with a climb up Côte de Domancy (6.05 km, 6.84%) after a rolling course beforehand. Jonas Vingegaard did a historic performance, beating Pogačar on the 22.4 km course by 1:38 min and everyone else by at least 2:51 min. According to our calculations, Vingegaard did 7.60 ᵉW/Kg for 13:21 min. This performance would put it as one of the greatest of all time.

The comparables...Patani and Ulrich. They are also underestimating his w/kg. If you watch him pedal quite frequently his leg would swing out wide.

Jonas did 7.46 w/kg for 11:17 in Itzulia Basque Country race in April. That was the highest w/kg since since Alberto Contador (2009 Verbier.) 6th and final stage, attacked with 2 km left on the penultimate climb (4.1Km @ 9%, thought the section where he launched was 14.4% - ended up soloing the final 28.4 km to win the stage by 47 seconds and the race by 2:24.

Big fan of the author you linked (my article Is from the same blog); he's a good Twitter follow. https://twitter.com/CyclingGraphs

That said, he works for Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast. They're propellor heads who have done consulting work for Jumbo-Visma. The brains behind all that w/kg stuff is Patrick Broe, an Australian lawyer who lives in Andorra. I think their content is fantastic but you do you have to keep in mind they've taken fees from TJV and they're not going to say or write anything that endangers that relationship.

I'm not keen on the presumption of guilt based solely on performance. I like Vingegaard, have read a lot about his humble background and think it's kind of crazy a semi-pro cyclist went from setting Strava records on training runs to the UCI World Tour.

FTR, I like Tadej Pogačar a ton as well - what he has done by age 25 is below only Merckx. The tribalism of their respective fans is baffling to me. They both seem like good dudes.

The sport has always been dirty, the first champion was DQ'ed for hopping on trains & riding in cars instead of riding the course. Cocaine in the 1920s, amphetamines in the postwar, and a plethora of methods (EPO, growth hormones, insulin, testosterone, DHEA, IGF-1, Oxyglobin, cortisone and blood doping) in Armstrong-Ulrich-Landis-Rassmussen-Contador era.

There have 7 mountain stages in this TDF. In 6 of them, either Pogačar or Vingegaard have set new climbing records. Does that alone mean they are dirty? It's definitely up for discussion.

I prefer to just appreciate the competition. Clean or dirty, getting on the bike for 6 hours a day and riding 2,100 miles whilst climbing 188,000 vertical feet is an amazing achievement.

Jonas gave four blood samples in the last 48 hours. Those will be stored for years; if the testing hasn't caught up to whatever they might be doing, eventually they will. But until then I'm not going to presume he is guilty.

If he and/or Tadej are dirty, it would be disappointing. Not surprising, but would definitely be a bummer. I'd like to believe the technology, the aero, the diet, the increased training are all reasonable explanations. Jonas was tested as a teenager and his VO2Max is higher than Indurin, second highest of any athlete ever. That and setting Strava records were before TJV discovered him, when he was packing fish in ice to pay the rent. Do people think he was dirty then? Seems absurd.

But it's the nature of the sport. People are always going to be skeptical no matter how many years pass since back when the whole peloton was doping and ASO didn't GAF.
I've been enjoying it and understand your position.

That said, his TT result was the equivalent of Elliot Kipchoge running a 2:01 marathon and 3rd to 10th place men finishing a half an hour later and slower than the top ten women. I would ask anyone to chew on that and explain the odds of that happening. I was starting to buy into the "now a clean(er) sport vibe", but this result defies logic.
This is where I am as well at this point. They never popped Froome either. I’m pretty sure they’re all micro-dosing, have TUEs, and will probably never get caught (and no one truly wants them caught anyway unless UAE wants to buy the thing out at some point).

I've been enjoying it and understand your position.

That said, his TT result was the equivalent of Elliot Kipchoge running a 2:01 marathon and 3rd to 10th place men finishing a half an hour later and slower than the top ten women. I would ask anyone to chew on that and explain the odds of that happening. I was starting to buy into the "now a clean(er) sport vibe", but this result defies logic.
This is where I am as well at this point. They never popped Froome either. I’m pretty sure they’re all micro-dosing, have TUEs, and will probably never get caught (and no one truly wants them caught anyway unless UAE wants to buy the thing out at some point).
I’m comfortable in my assumption that every one that was ever crazy good/way better than everyone else has doped. Indurain was a freak of nature. They didn’t test like they do now. Everyone in the lance era. The horribly boring tempo train of skyy. I’m ok with it.

I’m comfortable in my assumption that every one that was ever crazy good/way better than everyone else has doped. Indurain was a freak of nature. They didn’t test like they do now. Everyone in the lance era. The horribly boring tempo train of skyy. I’m ok with it.
It's not even everyone who was crazy good... It's EVERYONE... My brother-in-law was a cyclist that was good enough for his national cycling team as a youth. From ages 14-16 he was averaging the 3rd best times on his national team. By 18, he wasn't in the top 10. Guys he used to beat by 5+ minutes on a course were now beating him by 5+ minutes. He had been offered drugs dozens of times in order to improve his time and kept turning them down(he's pretty religious and 100% against doping).

He was straight up told by his national team coach that if he didn't start doping he was off the team... so, he quit the team. He's in his 50s. Talk with him for 5 minutes and you'll understand how there hasn't been a clean pro cyclist in 100 years.

These guys are beating Lance and Ullrich records. There's ZERO chance they're clean. Will they be caught? That's a different question.

It's not even everyone who was crazy good... It's EVERYONE... My brother-in-law was a cyclist that was good enough for his national cycling team as a youth. From ages 14-16 he was averaging the 3rd best times on his national team. By 18, he wasn't in the top 10. Guys he used to beat by 5+ minutes on a course were now beating him by 5+ minutes. He had been offered drugs dozens of times in order to improve his time and kept turning them down(he's pretty religious and 100% against doping).

He was straight up told by his national team coach that if he didn't start doping he was off the team... so, he quit the team. He's in his 50s. Talk with him for 5 minutes and you'll understand how there hasn't been a clean pro cyclist in 100 years.

These guys are beating Lance and Ullrich records. There's ZERO chance they're clean. Will they be caught? That's a different question.
Correct. It’s everyone more or less. And I’m ok with it.

@JumboVismaRoa
·
4h

@WoutvanAert has left the Tour de France to be with his wife Sarah who will give birth to their second child soon.

Least important detail, WVA had longest active streak without a single DNF / DNS. Officially he wasn't DNS after skipping 2022 RVV due to cv. Last time WVA didn't complete race(day) in road cycling was 4 years ago, barrier accident in Stage 13 ITT of 2019 Tour de France.

🇧🇪 Wout Van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) will not appear at the start. He has left the Tour.
Well that likely dooms my team.

quit yer bellyaching, you knew this could happen when you picked him

@Jaysus get back on your bike let's go chase down @BassNBrew

;)

but seriously, sucks for sure - kind of like in the Giro when we all finished with like 3-4 riders bc of the huge number of crashes, Covid, guys not GAF anymore.

WvA never DNFs (see above) but it was clear going in he really, really didn't want to be here, would much rather be home to be with his wife. Wasn't dominant like last year but man he put in some legendary massive efforts this Tour. Kudos to him for pulling Jonas until it was in the bag before he packed it in.

saw a picture of WvA in civilian clothes and he's such a normal sized dude - looked it up, 6'2-3/4" 172

it's just funny bc next to Jonas in a skin suit you think "whoa that dude is an absolute unit"

Jonas is tiny (5-8-58" & 132) but has massive thighs

def gonna skip today and just watch The Open

185 km, two Cat 4 climbs (1 KOM pt each), intermediate sprint (20 pts) with 50 km to go, feed zone with 25 km to go, last 15 km are downhill into the bunch sprint (50 pts)

just going to watch the last 10 minutes or so (11-11:30 EST?)

250 max sprint points left and Jasper is 137 up on Mads so not a lock yet

Last edited:
🇧🇪 Wout Van Aert (Jumbo-Visma) will not appear at the start. He has left the Tour.

;)

but seriously, sucks for sure - kind of like in the Giro when we all finished with like 3-4 riders bc of the huge number of crashes, Covid, guys not GAF anymore.

WvA never DNFs (see above) but it was clear going in he really, really didn't want to be here, would much rather be home to be with his wife. Wasn't dominant like last year but man he put in some legendary massive efforts this Tour. Kudos to him for pulling Jonas until it was in the bag before he packed it in.
Fun to root for him. Picking him even if he finished was a mistake, but there's something to be said for tuning in and seeing your guy on camera and not buried in the pack.

Probably found some sarms that aren't detected plus an oil change or two.

;)

Fun to root for him. Picking him even if he finished was a mistake, but there's something to be said for tuning in and seeing your guy on camera and not buried in the pack.

The most fun guy to watch in cycling! He does stuff that amazes us all the time, has to be the most versatile rider in the world.

I really wanted him on my team but figured I had to take 3 of 4 from Jonas, Pog, Jasper and WvA; the fact he's more focused on Glasgow Worlds and knowing he might pull out swayed me. He still had a ton of points. Ideally you want 100 pts per $1, and Wout netted 1443. He's the only guy you can get points like 5-6 different ways.

I really enjoy the attitudes in the peloton these days. There is so much camaraderie. WvA is a good guy, Pogi has a great sense of humor, Jonas is humble. This generation of riders are a lot less nationalistic and nobody has the win at any/all costs that was prevalent in earlier decades. Earlier this year WvA let LaPorte win after they teamed up to dominate an attack. Old timers Merckx and Boonen railed on him, bc they want him to win every classic. WvA was like "I don't have to do anything" - became this whole generational debate thing in Belgium. I think it's a much more balanced view of sportsmanship and life in general, I'm with the youngsters on this - Vince Lombardi was wrong.

Last edited:
everybody is exhausted after that brutal stage yesterday - no fight

not letting the small break go, but just a chill ride day

Number of attacks + accelerations per stage:
  • Stage 1 - 10
  • Stage 2 - 11
  • Stage 3 - 2
  • Stage 4 - 2
  • Stage 5 - 12
  • Stage 6 - 12
  • Stage 7 - 5
  • Stage 8 - 23
  • Stage 9 - 33
  • Stage 10 - 29
  • Stage 11 - 4
  • Stage 12 - 72
  • Stage 13 - 5
  • Stage 14 - 19
  • Stage 15 - 12
  • Stage 16 - ITT
  • Stage 17 - 16
  • Stage 18 - 1

My name is BassNBrew and I have a problem. I'm addicted to listening Bob Roll demonstrate he has no clue about cycling. How can someone so immersed in the sport for so long get pretty much everything wrong?

another one bites the dust

🇩🇪 GESCHKE Simon (Cofidis) abandoned the race

saw an interview with Biniam today, he's feeling pretty good. longest he's gone in a GT so far in his career. my local bodega lady is from Eritrea, she asks me how he's doing almost every time I stop by for my morning bagel. hope he finally gets himself in position today bc so far he's been a master at always taking the wrong line.

The top-10 sprinter favorites in Tour de France based on all sprint results in the last two years.

My name is BassNBrew and I have a problem. I'm addicted to listening Bob Roll demonstrate he has no clue about cycling. How can someone so immersed in the sport for so long get pretty much everything wrong?

apparently their guidebook they depend on every year was botched this year - like not collated or something. I mean....is this like a 5 man crew? they don't have an intern who could spend a day fixing it? lol

when I realized Week 1 the World Feed on Peacock is commercial free I switched to that one.

back in the day I loved Phil & Paul

Last edited:
oh look, MvdP isn't bored today

#Intermediate Sprint Saint-Rambert-en-Bugey Pts. Cl
  1. Jonas Abrahamsen (NOR, UXT) 20
  2. Pascal Eenkhoorn (NED, LTD) 17
  3. Victor Campenaerts (BEL, LTD) 15
  4. Kasper Asgreen (DEN, SOQ) 13
  5. Jasper Philipsen (BEL, ADC) 11
  6. Bryan Coquard (FRA, COF) 10
  7. Jordi Meeus (BEL, BOH) 9
  8. Mathieu van der Poel (NED, ADC) 8
  9. Nils Eekhoff (NED, DSM) 7
  10. Jenthe Biermans (BEL, ARK) 6
  11. Nils Politt (GER, BOH) 5
  12. Søren Kragh Andersen (DEN, ADC) 4
  13. Michael Gogl (AUT, ADC) 3
  14. Luke Durbridge (AUS, JAY) 2
  15. Silvan Dillier (SUI, ADC) 1

17 km to go

time to reel 'em in and setup for the bunch sprint

Bini is about 80th wheel in the center of the peloton

starting to think he might be a slow learner

now that was awesome.

And Nico totally picked up on all of Quicksteps tactics there on the world feed.

Victor Campenaerts with a massive pull today, the break worked well together

nice to see an unexpected finish to a bunch sprint

Japser trying to be a bully today - almost ran Eenkhorn off the road when he tried to join the break - had everyone rooting against him in r/peloton

he's def a bit jerky sometimes

anyway great win for Kasper - he had a great classics seasons a couple years ago but kind of been off form, nice to see him get a stage win

What a moron....why would you sit up and pull a teammate up to the break. Why would a teammate jump the gap to the break. The other two in the break are pissed and will punish them by making it hard. Stupid tactic, doomed to failure. I don't know what they are thinking, obviously they aren't...

Opps, wrong again. Wearing all that spandex for years must create brain damage.

I get that there were good tactics and etc, but isn't this still really malpractice from the peleton? Left it too late again.
I’m not sure they had the legs, but in general yes. Nico picked up that Aliphillipe was repeatedly getting to the front and then soft pedaling. That’s actually really hard to counter if someone is committed to that which is ultimately what let them succeed.

I get that there were good tactics and etc, but isn't this still really malpractice from the peleton? Left it too late again.

in other bunch spring stages they let Alpecin-Deceuninck get up front and control

SQS (& others) said eff that man good job running interference

17 km to go

time to reel 'em in and setup for the bunch sprint

Bini is about 80th wheel in the center of the peloton

starting to think he might be a slow learner
Probably would have been more productive for him to stay at home and do the evening beer ride.

did Welsford hit the wrong side of the roundabout again? he and Bini finished 19/20

dudes with top 5 talent, no support & a DS clueless about tactics

Meant to ask... "A huge final effort from Campanaerts in the final kilometre also made a crucial difference."

Why did Campanaerts self-sacrifice with that leadout at the front of the breakaway? He didn't have a teammate behind him (right?), but he pulled with everything he had for a couple hundred meters before bonking with maybe 150m to go.

yeah me

LE FBG TDF STAGE WINS
  1. Da Raiders (1)
  2. BassNBrew
  3. BobbyLayne
  4. BobbyLayne
  5. sammy3469
  6. BobbyLayne
  7. BobbyLayne
  8. sammy3469 (2)
  9. Jaysus (1)
  10. BassNBrew
  11. BobbyLayne
  12. cheeseypoof
  13. BobbyLayne
  14. cheeseypoof
  15. cheeseypoof (3)
  16. BassNBrew
  17. BassNBrew (4)
  18. BobbyLayne (7)

TEAM ROSTER​

ALT-TJV.png
Vingegaard
45 pts
UAD.png
Pogačar
38 pts
ALT-TJV.png
Kuss
28 pts
LTD.png
Van Gils
4 pts
ADC.png
Philipsen
158 pts
ALT-TFS.png
Kirsch
0 pts
UAD.png
Laengen
10 pts
ACT.png
Peters
0 pts
ADC.png
Van Der Poel
3 pts

Last edited:
looks like @BassNBrew is up the road too far for me to catch

LE FBG TDF OVERALL LEADERBOARD​

Meant to ask... "A huge final effort from Campanaerts in the final kilometre also made a crucial difference."

Why did Campanaerts self-sacrifice with that leadout at the front of the breakaway? He didn't have a teammate behind him (right?), but he pulled with everything he had for a couple hundred meters before bonking with maybe 150m to go.
He had a teammate. The only reason they pulled this off was because a team had two in the break and could sacrifice one. Of course Bob Roll and Chris VanderVelde would say it was a stupid move and Horner will call it a knucklehead move...which mean it's a brilliant move.

He had a teammate. The only reason they pulled this off was because a team had two in the break and could sacrifice one. Of course Bob Roll and Chris VanderVelde would say it was a stupid move and Horner will call it a knucklehead move...which mean it's a brilliant move.

I think the break guys had a conversation when Eenkhoorn joined them. did you see that jerk try to run me into the ditch? I think Jasper not winning was motivation enough for all of them, they worked well together. this is also the first stage the peloton didn't allow Alpecin to control the tempo. that was the entire peloton saying nope we don't put up with bully tactics, this ain't 2003 and you def don't tell us what we can/cannot do.

Probably was my best shot at a stage. Needed Campanaerts to win it, not lead out!

Velogames should have bonus points for most combative for the stage - that was a great leadout from a TT specialist

I was looking over the scoring system and it could end up being really close in our league - the bonus points for final GC, PC, KOM & team will decide it

I won't see the last 2 stages or find out the Velogames standings until a week from today when I come back from vacation (we're going totally unplugged for 5 days)

Probably was my best shot at a stage. Needed Campanaerts to win it, not lead out!

Velogames should have bonus points for most combative for the stage - that was a great leadout from a TT specialist

I was looking over the scoring system and it could end up being really close in our league - the bonus points for final GC, PC, KOM & team will decide it

I won't see the last 2 stages or find out the Velogames standings until a week from today when I come back from vacation (we're going totally unplugged for 5 days)
enjoy your trip

Users who are viewing this thread