What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (2 Viewers)

Next time please let me know youre linking Grant Cohn so I can kindly disregard it

Purdy looked rusty, as most of us thought he would. He has 6+ weeks to get ready for week 1. He will be fine.

Here's a breakdown of every throw by Purdy, Lance, and Darnold at today's practice

Last edited:
ESPN’s Nick Wagoner reports the 49ers hope Brock Purdy (elbow) no longer requires scheduled off-days “within two weeks.”

Purdy is currently resting every third day, but the Niners are claiming his velocity has already returned to its pre-injury level. Purdy’s recovery has been surprisingly seamless, putting him on track to be under center against the Steelers in Week 1.

Next time please let me know youre linking Grant Cohn so I can kindly disregard it

Purdy looked rusty, as most of us thought he would. He has 6+ weeks to get ready for week 1. He will be fine.

Here's a breakdown of every throw by Purdy, Lance, and Darnold at today's practice

OK, I'll kindly let you marinate in your echo chamber!

Purdy after practice presser transcript:

Fwiw, I agree with your read. I was fighting back initially early in the offseason, but it's clear Purdy is the starter if healthy. He was too good down the stretch last year for them to flip back to Lance or whoever. Now, does Purdy keep the job? That is far from locked up. There's a lot of smoke around Purdy that isn't great. Now is the time to acquire Lance if you're a believer.

Fwiw, I agree with your read. I was fighting back initially early in the offseason, but it's clear Purdy is the starter if healthy. He was too good down the stretch last year for them to flip back to Lance or whoever. Now, does Purdy keep the job? That is far from locked up. There's a lot of smoke around Purdy that isn't great. Now is the time to acquire Lance if you're a believer.

He could absolutely lose the job if he regresses, had a setback, or if he's another Nick Mullens, or just isn't as good as they think he is...I mean he's not very big or gifted athletically and doesnt have a big arm, but what he lacks in those areas he makes up for IMO in football IQ, quick processing ability, and his understanding of the offense.

Of course he's going to have growing pains and make mistakes, but it seems like he learns from those things and moves on quickly. He also seems like the perfect QB for Shanahan. He's got zero ego and just does his job the way Kyle likes it done.

Everything about the kid I've learned in the last year makes me believe he is going to put in the work to continue to get better, and if he can do that, I like his chances of being the 49er starting QB for a long time.

Lombardi from camp:

Brock Purdy already looked much sharper today. Finished 6-11; some impressive strikes downfield. Velocity good.

Sam Darnold 4-7; 2 of the best plays (one to Mitchell in seam, one to Jennings who made a great catch)

Trey Lance really struggled today. 1-4 and blew 2 gimmes

Matt Maiocco:

Practice reps the past two days:

🏈 Brock Purdy 41.6%
🏈 Trey Lance 21.8%
🏈 Sam Darnold 18.8%
🏈 Brandon Allen 17.8%

I think Shanny is concerned because he knows the window isn't forever and, Purdy (I believe), led the league in 'most potential for intercepted passes' last year. It looks like the 49ers are just trying to cover their bases with the unknown that is Purdy's recovery, the investment that is Lance, and the cushion that is Darnold. Good luck to them.

Purdy (I believe), led the league in 'most potential for intercepted passes' last year.

🤣 the straws people try to grasp is hilarious to me.

On any other team, Purdy might not be starter material, but under Shanahan, hes gonna shut a lot of people up this season. Watch.

There's a lot of smoke around Purdy that isn't great.
Is there?
Lol no, there isn’t. Pretty vanilla piece if
You actually read it.

My concern with Purdy is being available to play isn't the same as playing at the same level you were pre-surgery.

If Purdy isn't all the way there, how many games do the 49ers go before they just shelve him? Who do they go to if they do?

There isn't a lot of historical comparisons to draw on to see how players perform. The two guys who had this done weren't NFL contributors.

At the very least, we'll have some comparisons going forward of how players recover from this surgery and what to expect.

My concern with Purdy is being available to play isn't the same as playing at the same level you were pre-surgery.

If Purdy isn't all the way there, how many games do the 49ers go before they just shelve him? Who do they go to if they do?

His arm shoild be 100% by week 1, maybe even stronger than pre surgery. At that point, IMO he just needs to get over the mental hurdle that's usually there after serious injuries.

I don't see any reason he isn't as good as he was last season from the get go. He came in cold vs Miami last year and we all know how the next 8 games went. The way he prepares, he will be ready.

Yes, there's tape on him now and DCs will try to exploit that, but getting all 1st team reps throughout camp is something he didn't get last camp, so I think the chemistry with his weapons will be better than last season, and having CMC a whole offseason is gonna help Brock tremendously. We're gonna see Shanahans offense like we've never seen it. All Brock needs to do us his job, he doesn't have to be Mahomes in this offense.

Also, people forget how good this defense is, and could.even be better than last season. That's also gonna help, as there shouldn't be many shootout scenarios.

If he struggles a bit, I don't see them benching him unless he's gets in a funk and is just awful for several games in a row. Otherwise, it's ride or die with Brock this season IMO.

His arm shoild be 100% by week 1, maybe even stronger than pre surgery. At that point, IMO he just needs to get over the mental hurdle that's usually there after serious injuries.

I don't see any reason he isn't as good as he was last season from the get go. He came in cold vs Miami last year and we all know how the next 8 games went. The way he prepares, he will be ready.

Yes, there's tape on him now and DCs will try to exploit that, but getting all 1st team reps throughout camp is something he didn't get last camp, so I think the chemistry with his weapons will be better than last season, and having CMC a whole offseason is gonna help Brock tremendously. We're gonna see Shanahans offense like we've never seen it. All Brock needs to do us his job, he doesn't have to be Mahomes in this offense.

Also, people forget how good this defense is, and could.even be better than last season. That's also gonna help, as there shouldn't be many shootout scenarios.

If he struggles a bit, I don't see them benching him unless he's gets in a funk and is just awful for several games in a row. Otherwise, it's ride or die with Brock this season IMO.

Yeah, I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but Bryce Harper came back from Tommy John surgery and was available and is playing the field and can throw and do all the things that he could do pre-surgery. But he isn't all there, there's something missing. His contact numbers are great, but his power numbers just fell off a cliff. This is what concerns me, you can say you're 100%, you can look like you're 100% but you might not be 100%. If Brock Purdy is 80%, is that good enough? If the 49ers are 4-4 at the BYE and Purdy doesn't look like he did at the end of last season, do the 49ers stay with him? There are plenty of quarterbacks who have had good stretches only to regress and they didn't have elbow surgery.

Brock Purdy is 80%, is that good enough? If the 49ers are 4-4 at the BYE and Purdy doesn't look like he did at the end of last season, do the 49ers stay with him? There are plenty of quarterbacks who have had good stretches only to regress and they didn't have elbow surgery
It's absolutely a possibility he regresses for a variety of reasons. If 2023 Brock doesn't look like 2022 Brock, it will be interesting to see how much of a leash Kyle has on him, especially since hes so enamored with Darnold.

As far as being truly 100% recovered or not, I've read a few articles that talk about how football players (QBs in particular) throw completely different than baseball players (pitchers in particular). Pitchers throw a lot more harder and with a lot more torque than QBs do, so a UCL repair on a QB doesn't put as much stress on the repair site. So I'm not sure we can use baseball players who have had the same surgery since they use their arms in completely different ways, but I get your point. If Purdy was a pitcher, I'd be more concerned, but Kyle and the coaching staff know how far he is in his recovery and I'm sure if he does start week 1, it will be because they believe he is truly 100%. Otherwise, I think we'd see Darnold start.

Brock Purdy is 80%, is that good enough? If the 49ers are 4-4 at the BYE and Purdy doesn't look like he did at the end of last season, do the 49ers stay with him? There are plenty of quarterbacks who have had good stretches only to regress and they didn't have elbow surgery
It's absolutely a possibility he regresses for a variety of reasons. If 2023 Brock doesn't look like 2022 Brock, it will be interesting to see how much of a leash Kyle has on him, especially since hes so enamored with Darnold.

As far as being truly 100% recovered or not, I've read a few articles that talk about how football players (QBs in particular) throw completely different than baseball players (pitchers in particular). Pitchers throw a lot more harder and with a lot more torque than QBs do, so a UCL repair on a QB doesn't put as much stress on the repair site. So I'm not sure we can use baseball players who have had the same surgery since they use their arms in completely different ways, but I get your point. If Purdy was a pitcher, I'd be more concerned, but Kyle and the coaching staff know how far he is in his recovery and I'm sure if he does start week 1, it will be because they believe he is truly 100%. Otherwise, I think we'd see Darnold start.

How much confidence do 49er fans have in Darnold? Is he outplaying Lance?

Reported twice Purdy lost the grip on the ball when he was going to throw. Maybe the fully back comments were wrong.
It's wild we weigh down RBs coming off of ACL surgery but not QBs coming off elbow surgery. Has there been multiple situations similar to Brock's where QBs have returned to form?

Reported twice Purdy lost the grip on the ball when he was going to throw. Maybe the fully back comments were wrong.
It's wild we weigh down RBs coming off of ACL surgery but not QBs coming off elbow surgery. Has there been multiple situations similar to Brock's where QBs have returned to form?

Only 2 other times has a QB gotten the same surgery. Both players were never major contributors in the NFL so Purdy will be the case study for future comparisons.

The surgery is new and there have only ever been two third stringer type QB's that have had this surgery previously, neither of which had a form to return to: Nick Mullens and Clayton Thorson.

But we do not downgrade RB's coming of MCL tears. We do not know if this is equivilent to ACL or MCL in the knee or something completely different.

Edit, and I would say we are downgrading his value. He has tons of weapons going high in the draft, however Purdy is a late round flyer.

Last edited:

Where we stand on the last day of July:

• Brandon Aiyuk will be the best WR in fantasy.
  • Deebo Samuel will be a top 10 WR.
  • Christian McCaffery will be the #1 receiving RB.
  • Clear starter QB Brock Purdy is barely draftable... 🤯
I can't tell if this is a tweet poking fun at preseason hype/predictions that often don't pan out when real football starts or if it is an honest assessment of what FBG staff see happening based on preseason activity.

As someone who is debating keeping Aiyuk at a slight premium over expected value because I get attached to "my guys" are you saying FBG expects him to have a Kupp/Jefferson/Deebo of the last 3 years type season?

Where we stand on the last day of July:

• Brandon Aiyuk will be the best WR in fantasy.
  • Deebo Samuel will be a top 10 WR.
  • Christian McCaffery will be the #1 receiving RB.
  • Clear starter QB Brock Purdy is barely draftable... 🤯
I can't tell if this is a tweet poking fun at preseason hype/predictions that often don't pan out when real football starts or if it is an honest assessment of what FBG staff see happening based on preseason activity.

As someone who is debating keeping Aiyuk at a slight premium over expected value because I get attached to "my guys" are you saying FBG expects him to have a Kupp/Jefferson/Deebo of the last 3 years type season?

It was a lighthearted poke at how we as an industry don't see the whole picture. Those 4 things can't all be true. Now where the truth lies, is what we'll all be trying to determine.

Purdy appears to have taken the next step in his recovery ahead of schedule:

@LombardiHimself:

The 49ers have been very encouraged by the fact that Brock Purdy has only felt a standard amount of arm soreness after practices and it appears that his practice schedule has ramped up. Purdy is back out here today after only one day of rest as opposed to the previous two days. This is the cadence that SF hoped to hit by next week, based on what Kyle Shanahan previously said

Last edited:
Per Nick Wagoner:

Brock Purdy had 31 reps (all w/ 1s) today and I had him at 8-of-17 with 3 TDs, an INT and a rushing TD on a scramble.

Today a good example of the numbers not telling the whole story. Purdy had some of his best throws of camp but didn't get a lot of help from pass catchers.

Purdy's first completion was a deep crosser that led WR McCloud perfectly. He later hit three straight in the red zone for TDs to Jauan Jennings, Tay Martin and Willie Snead IV.

TD to Jennings, in particular, was on the money in right corner.

Purdy had at least four that were catchable to McCaffrey (x2), Deebo and Danny Gray that fell incomplete. CMC couldn't get second foot down on a TD, didn't turn his head on a second for a would-be big gainer.

On INT Purdy got pressured, Greenlaw deflected, Gipson pick.

Users who are viewing this thread