What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (1 Viewer)

Brock Purdy completed 25-of-37 passes for 210 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in the 49ers' 33-17, Week 13 win over the Dolphins.​

Purdy took over for Jimmy Garoppolo in the first quarter after the latter went down with a foot injury while being sacked. The injury was later revealed to be a broken foot, meaning Garoppolo is done for the year. The plan will now be for Purdy, the final pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, to be San Francisco's starter for the remainder of the season. Both of Purdy's scores were easy ones. The first was a dump-off to Kyle Juszczyk and the second was a similar throw to Christian McCaffrey. Neither player was closely covered. Purdy's interception came on an underthrown pass to Brandon Aiyuk, who Xavien Howard boxed out for the pick. Going forward, Kyle Shanahan will do his best to scheme up yards after the catch for Purdy while hiding him behind an efficient ground game. He is worth a look in Superflex leagues but can be left on the wavier wire ahead of his Week 14 matchup with the Bucs in most other formats.
Dec 4, 2022, 8:08 PM ET

For anyone that has seen him in the past, is running part of his game? Just thinking about his value in superflex - has a great supporting cast but wondering about any rushing floor.

Only thing I got on him is that he had a high completion percentage in college. So did a lot of others that became stars and others that did nothing after.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think think is the first game in Brady's career that he is an underdog to a QB drafted even later than he was.

Has anyone seen him throw the ball more than 15 yards? I don't know much about him, but tried to watch some Youtube highlights and even in college it seemed like a lot of short stuff. I like the pre snap reads, zip on the ball, and quick decisions. He has some of the best weapons in the NFL around him so I'm interested, but I also worry about teams stacking the box and taking away all the underneath stuff if he's unwilling or incapable of pushing the ball downfield. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts that is more familiar with the guy.

Has anyone seen him throw the ball more than 15 yards? I don't know much about him, but tried to watch some Youtube highlights and even in college it seemed like a lot of short stuff. I like the pre snap reads, zip on the ball, and quick decisions. He has some of the best weapons in the NFL around him so I'm interested, but I also worry about teams stacking the box and taking away all the underneath stuff if he's unwilling or incapable of pushing the ball downfield. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts that is more familiar with the guy.
I agree at some point he'll have to take the top off the defense on occasion, but they do have some real YAC monsters in CMC/Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle and defenses can't account for all of them. All he really needs to do is get the ball in their hands.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think think is the first game in Brady's career that he is an underdog to a QB drafted even later than he was.

Heard on ESPN today that if Purdy wins a start, he'll be the first player drafted in the 7th round to win a game since Gus Frerotte in 2008.

I agree at some point he'll have to take the top off the defense on occasion, but they do have some real YAC monsters in CMC/Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle and defenses can't account for all of them. All he really needs to do is get the ball in their hands.
Oh, I agree. He has some of the best playmakers in the game surrounding him, maybe THE best. Problem is all that underneath stuff goes away with 9 in the box and gets even more tricky with some zone blitzes. The good part for him is that he also has guys with 1 on 1 "my ball" skills and mentalities. Throw it up vs 1 on 1, they're going to get it more times than not. I just haven't seen him try, that's all. I just found that odd, especially going back through some college highlights. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I'm saying I want to see it. I did blow the the remainder of my FA budget on him FWIW, that's how highly I think of his situation.

Here's what Ourlads said about him:

"As routes move outside the numbers or upfield, the ball doesn’t come out as quickly and easily. Has to gather a bit harder as arm strength is average. Velocity goes down the more the play is extended deep outside. Not one to consistently beat man coverage or throw in a lot of short windows. Has a chance to make a team and develop into a solid backup. He does most things well but lacks any outstanding trait. He could fit a number of systems but has limitations."

I also worry about teams stacking the box and taking away all the underneath stuff if he's unwilling or incapable of pushing the ball downfield

This is why scouts fall in love with arm talent and draft guys like Zach Wilson number two overall. You need to be able to throw outside the numbers and deep occasionally, or they'll just stuff nine in the box (like you said) and create havoc on the underneath routes that he'll be looking for. It'll take a game or two to expose it, but once they do, I'll bet this guy is in a lot of trouble.

That is predicated on him having average arm strength. If he has good arm strength, then I stand corrected. I'm doubting he does.

I also worry about teams stacking the box and taking away all the underneath stuff if he's unwilling or incapable of pushing the ball downfield

This is why scouts fall in love with arm talent and draft guys like Zach Wilson number two overall. You need to be able to throw outside the numbers and deep occasionally, or they'll just stuff nine in the box (like you said) and create havoc on the underneath routes that he'll be looking for. It'll take a game or two to expose it, but once they do, I'll bet this guy is in a lot of trouble.

That is predicated on him having average arm strength. If he has good arm strength, then I stand corrected. I'm doubting he does.
I don't disagree on your sentiment, but a lot of time scouts fall too far in love with athletic and arm talent. This type of one way group think produces Zach Wilsons and Jameis Winstons, but on the other side of the coin it lets guys still starting and doing well like Tom Brady and to a lesser degree Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott to fall in the draft. And I agree that guys need to be able to hit certain throws in the NFL or you never be successful but some guys can do it with pure arm talent, some guys can do it with a a combination of timing and accuracy. Peyton Manning is an extreme example of this, but he made a living off timing and accuracy. He was never known for arm talent. Not as a rookie, not certainly not as a late career Super Bowl winner.

We haven't just seen Purdy try, but there will come a time where he'll have to or it will be impossible to succeed just based on how teams will play him like we're all saying. Based on reporting from San Fran, he's a very hard worker, so come game time I'm sure the timing with his guys will be good. Now, whether or not he can pull the trigger and hit his spots under fire remains to be seen.

The predictive side of drafts, guys' work ethic, guys' leadership, reading an NFL D pre/post snap when you're staring down the barrel of the gun and feeling the extreme weight of the NFL, timing, the intangibles, it's all very difficult to say how a guy will react once he has some money in his bank account and starts to deal with the rigors of the NFL. That said, the NFL needs to find more out of the box innovative ways to draft. The number of 1st round busts is astonishing considering the time and money spent on evaluation.

David Lombardi:

Purdy can move a little bit. He’s not fast enough to be a running NFL QB, but Shanahan might dial up some more rollouts, etc.

49ers targets are especially impressed with Purdy’s accuracy throwing on the run.

The Bucs are historically pretty awful against backup QBs and their offense won’t sustain drives.

You could do a lot worse than Purdy this week.

Brock Purdy completed 16-of-21 passes for 185 yards and two touchdowns in the 49ers' 35-7, Week 14 win over the Bucs, adding two carries for three additional yards and a touchdown.​

Making his first career start, Purdy soundly out-dueled Tom Brady, and did a few things Jimmy Garoppolo hadn't all season. Each of Purdy's touchdowns traveled 20-plus air yards. That was a feat Garoppolo had accomplished only one time all year. Not too shabby. Those aerial strikes went to Christian McCaffrey and Brandon Aiyuk. More of those kinds of plays could be a necessity if Deebo Samuel is headed for a multi-week absence after injuring his ankle. Purdy's rushing score was a two-yarder where no one was upon and Purdy took it upon himself to find the goal line. The performance was a triumph of coach Kyle Shanahan's scheme, but Purdy sure looked more than ready to implement it. He now gets a short-week test with Thursday's matchup with the Seahawks' leaky defense. Of note is that Purdy picked up an oblique injury against the Bucs, but the 49ers don't expect it to be an issue even with the short turnaround.
Dec 11, 2022, 7:50 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that QB Brock Purdy will undergo an MRI on his injured oblique.​

The 49ers seemed optimistic that Purdy's injury won't be a major issue, but he will still undergo testing to be safe. ProFootballTalk reports that Purdy is expected to be "ready to roll" even with the 49ers playing the Seahawks on Thursday night. If Purdy were to miss the game, Josh Johnson would take over under center. Johnson is an experienced veteran who is familiar with Kyle Shanahan's system. He would likely be able to facilitate a functional offense, but the 49ers would prefer to have Purdy in the lineup. His odds of suiting up remain solid.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Dec 12, 2022, 11:31 AM ET

#49ers QB Brock Purdy is scheduled to get an MRI on his oblique which he hurt on the 2nd drive of the game, per @TomPelissero

Purdy says he will be "ready to roll" Thursday

Shanahan: Purdy is a perfectionist.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, head coach Kyle Shanahan reminisced on the moment he shared with Purdy after the game, sharing that, despite the strong performance, Purdy brought up plays from practice that he had missed, speaking to his "perfectionist" mentality.

"[After the game, during our conversation, Brock] said how much fun he had. He said he brought up a couple plays he missed in practice during the week that were killing him. He was like, Hey, I knew I would get it by gameday, so I'm sorry about some of the things during the week, which was unbelievable because he had a great week of practice and we weren't concerned about that aspect at all, but it just shows you the kid is a perfectionist and everything he does, he wants to see what he can do better," Shanahan said.

Purdy faced a "Welcome to the NFL" moment on the first play of the game as he took a hit after audibling out of the pre-planned play, but remained confident in his abilities, which propelled the rest of the team with their belief in him.

"I think [not getting rattled] affects everything and it's hard to fake that stuff. And Brock is always himself and how he carries himself, how he talks," Shanahan said. "He is the same dude every day and he's the same guy on the field, whether he is making a good play or bad play, he believes in himself and he's going to keep slinging it and ripping what he sees and I think our guys feel that and when you're like that, it gives a lot of people confidence because you know it's a matter of time."

He was looking Purdy good yesterday :) Not only did he look good but he played within himself and the system. I did not see the entire game but he did not appear to make some of the boneheaded throws that Jimmy G sometimes does. It would be a straight to Disney movie if Mr. Irrelevant leads the 49ers to the Superbowl

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Brock Purdy (oblique) will be limited in practice Tuesday.​

The rookie signal caller will go into Wednesday's declarations a likely questionable after back-to-back limited listings on the injury report. Given that he played through the injury on Sunday, he's likely still on the optimistic side of questionable for Week 15 against the Seahawks. Josh Johnson would be the backup in the event that Purdy can't go.
SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter
Dec 13, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy (oblique) is expected to start on Thursday against the Seahawks.​

This wasn't ever really in doubt. Despite the short week, Purdy played through this injury in Sunday's win over the Buccaneers and has logged limited practices in the days leading up to this game. He'll be hard to trust outside of 2QB and superflex leagues, and shouldn't be viewed as anything more than a low-end QB2 for fantasy purposes.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 15, 2022, 12:37 PM ET

Brock Purdy completed 17-of-26 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns in the 49ers' 21-13, Week 15 win over the Seahawks.​

Purdy also helped seal the victory with a late third down run. With the win, the 10-4 49ers clinched the NFC West. Making his first career road start, Purdy perfectly executed coach Kyle Shanahan's game plan, though he didn't necessarily do more. For his first score, Purdy pulled off a pair of designed fakes to free George Kittle over the middle of the field. That touchdown went 28 yards. For the second, Purdy executed another fake before Kittle was left all alone by a coverage bust. He found Kittle down the left sideline and the bruising tight end did the rest for a 54-yard TD. Beyond that, Purdy was lucky to escape with zero turnovers after throwing an interception directly to Quandre Diggs that the safety dropped. His longest non-Kittle completion went 28 yards to fellow tight end Tyler Kroft. No other pass catcher had a gain longer than 16 yards. Purdy hasn't exactly been explosive since replacing Jimmy Garoppolo, but it is safe to say he is exceeding expectations. He is mostly avoiding mistakes and being a faithful custodian of Shanahan's vision. He gets a tough Week 16 test in the Commanders before a soft Week 17 date in Vegas.
Dec 15, 2022, 11:23 PM ET

Since 2008, there are only 2 quarterbacks in their first 2 starts, who have:

* 175+ passing yards
* 2+ touchdowns
* 115+ passer rating

Aaron Rodgers and.....Brock Purdy.

Per Akash Anavarathan on Twitter

He was looking Purdy good yesterday :) Not only did he look good but he played within himself and the system. I did not see the entire game but he did not appear to make some of the boneheaded throws that Jimmy G sometimes does. It would be a straight to Disney movie if Mr. Irrelevant leads the 49ers to the Superbowl
He did make 1 really bad throw that was a pure dropped INT but overall kid looks really comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread