What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (6 Viewers)

All six episodes of Full Circle are now available on HBO Max. I think its labyrinthine plot might work better as a binge watch rather than spread out over a three week release schedule.

I don't think the story nailed the ending. It felt a little anticlimactic after all the plot twists and turns but there was still enough quality in the production to recommend.

I also give a thumb up to Black Bird. Good series. Speaking of birds, I've not seen anyone mention The Good Lord Bird. It's a Showtime historical fiction 7 episode series about abolitionist John Brown with Ethan Hawke looking like Nick Nolte in the star role. It's not a comedy, but it's kind of funny? I don't know how to describe it other than to say it's kind of irreverent but entertaining. Serious but it doesn't take itself seriously. He's a preacher, but the show isn't preachy. Anyway, if you don't like it after the first 30 minutes, it's probably not for you.

Reading all the hype, finally broke down and got Hulu. Wife and I binged both seasons in four days. It’s not like any tv show I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to say that I “enjoyed” it given how stressful nearly every episode is. But it is absolutely riveting television. Season 1 was really really good, but Season 2 was a master class. It’s definitely not a show for everyone, but for those it does speak to, I think it will blow you away. I think I had some of the same emotional reactions to The Bear that I had to Whiplash, which I absolutely loved, and Uncut Gems, which in the end was just too dang stressful for me.
Finished season 1 over the weekend. Your summation mirrors my thoughts exactly.

I just finished Severance on Apple TV - loved it, especially the last episode.
I've been looking at Black Bird to start next. Is it good?

I feel it starts really, really strong but drops a bit during the last 1/3. Still very good. Some fantastic acting.
Agree with this comment. It doesn't end strong but the beginning and middle are very, very good that's it's definitely worth the watch. The actor playing the antagonist is phenomenal. Up there with the performance by the main serial killer in Mindhunter.

Started watching The Last Ship to get a feel for if it's something the wife and I should put in the queue to watch together. Don't think I'll subject her to it. It's okay but I can see why they cancelled it. Maybe if we run out of other things to watch.
I thought it got better as it went along. I liked the story line and after going through the pandemic you could see how things could devolve into what happens in the show (to some degree). I was pleasently surprised with the show as I wasn't expecting much. I thought it was very entertaining.

First justified episode was awesome. Loved it.
I enjoyed it. But the daughter angle is stupid and unnecessary. I hate when shows resort to that. It's like Oliver on the Brady Bunch.

Her voice makes me want to murder someone.
The sound mix for this show is terrible on my TV for some reason and I think it is specifically just this show,

Everything sounds like mud., or on this case helium-squeaky mud.

Wife and I started Deadloch last night on Prime and we are hooked after the first episode. It's an Australian Crime/Comedy. Great mix of humor and drama and great characters. It's rare one episode can hook me so fast. Hopefully it holds up.

I'm 6 episodes in and am totally engrossed. Really good show. I hate the visiting detective. But still a great show.

I didn't love Witcher season 3 but it had a couple of great episodes. I am probably repeating myself, but whatever quality the show has is so dependent on Cavill nailing the character. I suspect next season will be a true disaster.

The Bear S2 was incredible

Reading all the hype, finally broke down and got Hulu. Wife and I binged both seasons in four days. It’s not like any tv show I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to say that I “enjoyed” it given how stressful nearly every episode is. But it is absolutely riveting television. Season 1 was really really good, but Season 2 was a master class. It’s definitely not a show for everyone, but for those it does speak to, I think it will blow you away. I think I had some of the same emotional reactions to The Bear that I had to Whiplash, which I absolutely loved, and Uncut Gems, which in the end was just too dang stressful for me.
Mr In-Between should be #1 on your list to watch.

One of my favorite series ever.

Ooh forgot this was Hulu also!!!

Thank you for the rec!

Thank you for the rec!
Little Monsters, Attack the Block, Barbarian, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, Hell or High Water, 3:10 to Yuma, Dune, Whiplash

Just finished 12 Monkeys (on Hulu).

Excellent TV show (not necessarily included among the best - but that's a tough ring of honor to join) that sticks its landing very satisfyingly.

Unfortunately it does not. Found myself fast forwarding through it, but it’s really corny This year. Was hoping it would get better too as I like that type of show.
I binged through the last 4 or so episodes of Pickett this week and it was surprisingly much more enjoyable than the first half of the season. Less focus on the corny protestor/hunter drama and more focus on the serial killer backstory. Having read all of the books probably helped tie it all together, I will tune in for season 3 if there is one. Joe Pickett and Big Sky (both CJ Box adaptations) have been entertaining enough to watch but they are not in the same class as adapatations like Longmire and Bosch.
I found the last episodes a little better too but still felt a bit corny. I’ll probably give season 3 a chance too as I really want to like it.

Idiocracy (Tubi only through today): I had seen this once long ago and remembered it as being pretty good. I enjoyed it again. Maya Rudolph, Like Wilson, and Dax Shepard in a Mike Judge movie about everyone getting dumber as time goes on. The jokes are all about taking dumb things today and taking them to the extreme, and they all make me laugh. I think my favorite part is when Dax hears a knock at his door and just yells, “Go’way, ‘m batin’!”

I mean, it’s a stupid movie, but it makes me laugh.

Idiocracy (Tubi only through today): I had seen this once long ago and remembered it as being pretty good. I enjoyed it again. Maya Rudolph, Like Wilson, and Dax Shepard in a Mike Judge movie about everyone getting dumber as time goes on. The jokes are all about taking dumb things today and taking them to the extreme, and they all make me laugh. I think my favorite part is when Dax hears a knock at his door and just yells, “Go’way, ‘m batin’!”

I mean, it’s a stupid movie, but it makes me laugh.
I've always thought that Idiocracy is brilliant as social commentary, but not very good as a movie. And it pains me to say that because I love most of Mike Judge's other work.

Reading all the hype, finally broke down and got Hulu.
Some Hulu recommendations: Reservation Dogs and Letterkenny.

Thanks!
Since you have Hulu, another recommendation. "Prey". Really good Predator movie.

Awesome installment in the franchise. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah I recommend Prey to everyone. It's a perfect SiFi action horror film. Good story, great protagonist.

After a couple of down seasons, What We Do in the Shadows has been better this season, imo. Just watched the one where Colin Robinson runs for Comptroller and all the individual storylines were great. Nandor with his new Jewish friend was hilarious. "I gotta get the f out of this city"

In the list of Hulu exclusives, I always recommend "In and Of Itself" - although its not without controversy. Opinions seem to range from, "OMG it changed my life" to "it was OK, not impressed." I checked out some reviews a while back and saw some comments on Reddit to the effect that DelGaudio manipulates his audience's emotions in a way that is almost unethical and that he presents as an arrogant donkey. For me, at minimum you have to say it's worth your time and gets the viewer thinking. There was some value in the takeaway for me that I've tried to incorporate into my daily life.

The Untold Johnny Manziel documentary told us pretty much everything we already knew. Not sure how much more Told it could have been.

Does it go back a couple generations?
Not farther back than his parents who were clearly prepped for TV. I also don't know anything about the family other than Johnny.

Horrible history building wealth by swindling the unsophisticated and even (alleged/suspected) murder. Not the parents, but earlier generations.

The Untold Johnny Manziel documentary told us pretty much everything we already knew. Not sure how much more Told it could have been.

Not farther back than his parents who were clearly prepped for TV. I also don't know anything about the family other than Johnny.

Horrible history building wealth by swindling the unsophisticated and even (alleged/suspected) murder. Not the parents, but earlier generations.
there's a quick scene where Manziel talks about asking his grandpa if he can write him some checks to cover cash he was given for signing autographs where Johnny says "my grandpa was a G"

quick cut to his grandpa who smiles, quick laugh, cut away and that's all you hear about his grandparents.

@TheAristocrat nailed it, and Ryan Leaf, who i heard on the radio earlier today said it best "this was an ad for Johnny Manziel". nothing we saw was new. it was just a puff piece. not interesting. they breeze over Manziel mentioning he was diagnosed as bipolar, that he attempted suicide, he blew through (his guess) $5mm on drugs & partying. they covered all that in like 8 seconds.

the rest was "Johnny Manziel was exciting, then he sucked at football".

there's a quick scene where Manziel talks about asking his grandpa if he can write him some checks to cover cash he was given for signing autographs where Johnny says "my grandpa was a G"

quick cut to his grandpa who smiles, quick laugh, cut away and that's all you hear about his grandparents.

@TheAristocrat nailed it, and Ryan Leaf, who i heard on the radio earlier today said it best "this was an ad for Johnny Manziel". nothing we saw was new. it was just a puff piece. not interesting. they breeze over Manziel mentioning he was diagnosed as bipolar, that he attempted suicide, he blew through (his guess) $5mm on drugs & partying. they covered all that in like 8 seconds.

Thanks for the info. Definitely a pass for me.

the only new thing was that he didn’t come from oil money, that was made up and not really known until this. The rest has already been done before

QB1 on tubitv - free, just search and watch.
Recorded years ago, but just got purchased/released.
Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson

Good watch. They don't seem to have changed much in terms of personality or football abilities.

Thank you for the rec!

Here's another ..

The title leave no mystery about the subject matter. It's a historical time-travel flick based off of a Stephen King book. A kind-of, "what if" show. I liked it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread