What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should the New York Jets move forward after losing Aaron Rodgers for the season in Week 1? (1 Viewer)

A vet who is probably available and is probably better than what the FA market is, is another former #2 overall pick, Mitch Trubisky. Steelers can proceed with Mason Rudolph as the #2, and maybe pick up a 3rd rounder if they are lucky, though whether that is better than another former #2 overall pick (Wentz) is debatable.
This idea makes the most sense of the veteran type QB's.

If I were a Jets fan, my vote would be to stick it out with Wilson for another year. Probably you'll miss the playoffs, but I don't think that's a sure thing. Regardless, your 2024 starting QB is not currently on your roster and there's nothing you can do about it now. Rodgers' injury sucks, and there is no replacement sitting out there.

ESPN reporting that...JOE FLACCO is interested in returning to the New York Jets
I wonder what other QBs are interested in the position

That O-Line was looking Swiss Cheesey last night …Wilson needs to unlock his inner super saiyan powers and level up … it’s not likely… but it is possible

Jets will probably give up a 1st for Sean Clifford because they haven't meet a GB QB that they didn't like. Third time is the charm.

Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.

I've never understood why an NFL team doesn't put a great mind QB in the booth to talk directly into the on-the-field QB's helmet. Imagine a young gunslinger getting not only the play call, but, the defensive read from Tom Brady in his ear before every play. Yes, the mic is cut off once he's under center, but, a lot of info can still be conveyed based on who's on the field and where they're lining up. Find a good mentor QB and put him in a comfy chair looking at a big screen TV with all the offensive coordinators around him, and put that voice in the young QB's head, it's worth a try.
If the QB playing can't read and process the defense in front of him, it's unlikely that he will be able to process what he is being told fast enough to actually be able to implement it. Maybe there is someone who that would work for but I really doubt it.

I say bleep all these over-priced has-beens. I would be signing Nathan Rourke off the Jags practice squad to backup Wilson.

I know that your draft position is your worth in the NFL but teams passed on Brock Purdy 261 times so scouting is far from perfect.
This is a good play on a QB that will cost you next to nothing. Take a flyer.

What about Aiden O' Connell? Las Vegas is listing him 3rd Emergency QB. He looked sharp in preseason.

I thought about this already and I think he's on the 53 man roster and I can't imagine the Raiders will part with him cheaply.
cheap price to pay if sb bound.
With Aiden O’Connell??
yes. I think Super Trooper is better than Wilson by a mile. All they need is a game manager and I think O' Connell can do that better.

I think the play calling on offense needs tweaking if Wilson takes over
-they should have taken a shot into the end zone and tried to think about going up 6 or 7 vs a FG.

Buffalo did march down the field and tie the game up, almost won the game
I don't think Overtime Punt returns for TDs is going to be a good game plan.
Now you have an OC that was historically bad in his 1st season as Head Coach
I anticipate Wilson trying to make some plays with his legs which is why the Jets better start auditioning some potential back ups.

I could see Matt Ryan wanting one more chance after the dumpster fire in Indy last year.
Phillip Rivers apparently would have been the SF 49'ers Starting QB in the Super Bowl just 6 months ago

Gotta roll with Wilson and see how he responds with a full week of prep. But while he's prepping, you're stealth calling LAR, TEN, and IND about Stafford, Tannehill, and Minshew.

To rely on an offense led by Zach Wilson with Nathaniel Hackett calling the plays seems ludicrous. Did we not just see this in Denver last year with a different Wilson?

Hackett was Rodgers boy, because he let Rodgers run what he wanted. They need a qb who can push back and challenge the OC.

What about Aiden O' Connell? Las Vegas is listing him 3rd Emergency QB. He looked sharp in preseason.

I thought about this already and I think he's on the 53 man roster and I can't imagine the Raiders will part with him cheaply.
With Aiden O’Connell??
yes. I think Super Trooper is better than Wilson by a mile. All they need is a game manager and I think O' Connell can do that better.
he probably could be better, but that is a far cry from getting them to the super bowl.

With Aiden O’Connell??
he probably could be better, but that is a far cry from getting them to the super bowl.
ok hang with Wilson and see what that brings. :shrug:

With Aiden O’Connell??
i'm not saying o'connell wouldn't be better, i'm just saying it would be almost impossible to get to the super bowl with him.

With Aiden O’Connell??
i'm not saying o'connell wouldn't be better, i'm just saying it would be almost impossible to get to the super bowl with him.
It's about the shot. NOT guarantees. No one hands you the trophy based on paper. You got to take your shot. I think they have all the pieces in place for a run with a compantant QB. Trooper is a cheap option that MAY yeild results. I take that shot. WE've seen enough of Wilson to know that this is an opertunity lost with him.

I'll be shocked if they are riding with Zach, but crazier decisions have been made.
They are - Saleh said as much in his presser awhile ago. Folks can keep throwing speculative names out, but it’s not happening. At least not for awhile.

To rely on an offense led by Zach Wilson with Nathaniel Hackett calling the plays seems ludicrous. Did we not just see this in Denver last year with a different Wilson?

Hackett was Rodgers boy, because he let Rodgers run what he wanted. They need a qb who can push back and challenge the OC.

To be fair to Hackett, he did have a lot to do with Blake Bortles taking the Jags to the AFC title game that was closer than many may remember.

I just feel badly for Wilson and NYJ because they have to face the Cowboys in Dallas. The Dallas defense looked like the 1985 Chicago Bears. Gllllllllĺll

With Aiden O’Connell??

32 teams passed on O'Connell multiple times and he's a 3rd stringer behind Bryan Hoyer. Plus, he's too ugly to be a QB in New York.

With Aiden O’Connell??

32 teams passed on O'Connell multiple times and he's a 3rd stringer behind Bryan Hoyer. Plus, he's too ugly to be a QB in New York.
31 teams passed on Purdy. Just sayin'.

I'll be shocked if they are riding with Zach, but crazier decisions have been made.
They are - Saleh said as much in his presser awhile ago. Folks can keep throwing speculative names out, but it’s not happening. At least not for awhile.

Well, they have to add a QB now for depth. It can't be Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle....not when Dallas just made New York's other QB look like a shell shocked soldier from the film "Dunkirk". That's just football malpractice.

I see them bringing Flacco back this week and making a play for a vet QB before Sept ends.

Stafford
Tannehill
Dalton

Bridgewater
Mayfield

Mariota
Davis Mills

Brady, Ryan, Rivers et al

With Aiden O’Connell??

31 teams passed on Purdy. Just sayin'.

Who only got his shot because he was last man standing in San Fran. Nobody traded for him in week 2 and elevated him to starting status.

I just don't see how you can look at Dalton and Wilson, and choose Wilson. I realize Dalton isn't Rodgers, but he's at least an NFL qb. People are forgetting how very very bad Wilson has been. With a defense as good as the Jets, there is real value in a proven NFL veteran who can recognize defenses pre-snap and knows when to throw the ball away. Wilson was running backwards 20 yards in panic yesterday.

Regardless of how the Lance situation ended, you have to give the 49ers credit for accepting their mistake and moving on. They didn't sit Lance behind Purdy, because they knew he wasn't the guy. I'm not sure how you can justify to the locker room that you think you can win with Wilson. As an organization you've already stated you can't by acquiring Rodgers. They should have traded him in the off season and brought in, or drafted another guy.

Ryan Tannehill might be the spark the Jets need, Titans are going nowhere this season
Agreed.
Trubisky makes sense, but also Gardner Minshew might work.
Too bad the 9ers already freaky Lance.
I like Minshew a lot for a reasonable trade.
Indy is going all in on ARich, if they go 2-15 (probably won't) but if they did, they can always pick another QB if they really like someone in '24
So why not trade Minshew for whatever they can get, now?

I like Brissett as a steady hand on the tiller
Stidham could be cheap ?
Have to admit I did also think of O’Connell before coming in this thread

I got a chill reading this
Hackett without any pushback

Minshew. Interesting. That could work for the Jets. Have no idea the type of relationship he has with Richardson. He could be quality mentor type so they wont move him.

To be fair to Hackett, he did have a lot to do with Blake Bortles taking the Jags to the AFC title game that was closer than many may remember.

I just feel badly for Wilson and NYJ because they have to face the Cowboys in Dallas. The Dallas defense looked like the 1985 Chicago Bears. Gllllllllĺll
And sometimes you make it to the Finals as an 8-Seed, doesn't mean you don't try and poach another teams' best player to improve your chances of returning.

Users who are viewing this thread