What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should the New York Jets move forward after losing Aaron Rodgers for the season in Week 1? (1 Viewer)

9/11, running out of that tunnel with the American Flag at MetLife, it sent chills up my spine which is why it made it all the harder to watch it unfold Monday Night

rodgers has some kyrie in him fo sho.
Half of the teams in the NFL if not more would couldn't overcome this type of injury. Most NFL teams that lose their starting QB are pretty much done for the year
Rodgers' had some very curious things to say about 9/11 according to DeShone Kizer. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-9-11-deshone-kizers/07eb6f300f1572e6e44a6f94

Half of the teams in the NFL if not more would couldn't overcome this type of injury. Most NFL teams that lose their starting QB are pretty much done for the year

Honestly, other than the Ravens and 49ers I’m not sure any team could make it far if they lost their starting QB. Jets are among the next group that just might be able to overcome.
i really wish the nfl would experiment with a way to solve the backup qb issue, financial wise from a cap standpoint. the highest paid qb on the rooster counts 100% against the cap, other qbs count 35% or something creative. is there really any other sport that counts on 1 position as much as nfl qb? i suppose people will argue nick foles. or spend less on another position, but if a team loses its qb1, season is basically over, no?

To simply add some drama: Jets do not get a new starter, end up with a top 15 pick next year w AA-ron rehabbing and then take a QB in the Draft causing more drama in NY

He’ll surely be okay with that.

Honestly, other than the Ravens and 49ers I’m not sure any team could make it far if they lost their starting QB. Jets are among the next group that just might be able to overcome.
i really wish the nfl would experiment with a way to solve the backup qb issue, financial wise from a cap standpoint. the highest paid qb on the rooster counts 100% against the cap, other qbs count 35% or something creative. is there really any other sport that counts on 1 position as much as nfl qb? i suppose people will argue nick foles. or spend less on another position, but if a team loses its qb1, season is basically over, no?
Why incentivize NFL teams to spend more on the highest paid position?

I think this particular issue in "order of importance" is small. look, the jets have taken two "high pick, Low cost" QBs over the past 10 years and Neither have worked out. Perhaps instead of the NFL solving a non issue, the Jets should solve their Scouting department and pick a better rookie QB. It's one thing to be the colts and after Luck retires to lather, rinse, repeat on vet Qbs and truly another on getting Darnold and Wilson and making the same mistake twice.

Miami for all their "questions" about Tua did not start mortgaging their draft capital until they got a coach who believed in Tua (the concussions came after).

Finally, colleges spit out about 40 QBs a year and of those 40 maybe 10 are "NFL Worthy" How is having a larger QB cap going to change the lack of talent at the position?

Edit to add: Very few front offices consider taking 2 QBs in the same draft. If I were a GM I'd either do that or make sure I have one "draft pick" every 3 years be for a rookie QB because you never know.

I could easily be proven wrong. It has happened many times before. Maybe it's still the shock of the Rodgers injury, but I don't understand the positivity towards Wilson. He has had the worst passer rating in the NFL the past two seasons. He is the first quarterback to do that back-to-back since the 1957-58 season. Even if he improves what does that mean? He goes from worst to 10th worst? People are questioning if there is a better option than Wilson. It seems like every option is a better option.
Whatever. He's still better than Favre.

We give up on QBs far too quickly in todays NFL
How many QBs came into the league highly drafted, played as bad as Wilson did and made themselves into above average starters? Or won a playoff game? (Honestly asking)
goff and alex smith?
Goff was a pro bowl QB in his second season.
Smith and Tannehill are good examples of a player taking longer to develop into quality starters.
Rich Gannon is another example although a 4th round pick. And what about another 4th round pick AND #1 overall pick in the expansion draft, Steve Beuerlein and that magical 1999 season where he led the NFL in passing yards. He was also on that 1992 Dallas team that won the Superbowl.

Last edited:

yeah, take any "good" team and get rid of their starter for the rest of the year. They're generally screwed.
'91 Eagles had perhaps the best defense of all time and couldn't make it happen when Randall Cunningham went down. And the Jets defense is good but not '91 Eagles level good.

yeah, take any "good" team and get rid of their starter for the rest of the year. They're generally screwed.
'91 Eagles had perhaps the best defense of all time and couldn't make it happen when Randall Cunningham went down. And the Jets defense is good but not '91 Eagles level good.

Don't remind me...

Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.
I think this is a good answer
I also remember last season which makes me pause
The irony if Wilson can manage enough games to help them into the Playoffs

Wilson was horrendous last year and nothing in the Bills game made me think he has solved his issues.

People saying that Jets need a qb who can exploit play action and work the short routes are 100% correct. Wilson is not that qb.

Rogers seems willing to mentor Zach Wilson. IMO Wilson is the best option. With the Jets defense they can be a run heavy team. Wilson is good enough to exploit play action and or trust Garret to make the contested catch. I believe the team will rally behind Zach.

Wilson was horrendous last year and nothing in the Bills game made me think he has solved his issues.

People saying that Jets need a qb who can exploit play action and work the short routes are 100% correct. Wilson is not that qb.
Who is out there that can be signed, get up to speed and plugged into the system at this point? retreads and hasbeens?

We all agree that Wilson is bad but he's the only real options at this point - he doesnt have to be great - just Sanchez like.

Hes going to get a few games - if he fails and its a lost season then so be it. Thinking a Wentz/Ryan or other retread can come in and save the season is pipe dream. Zach can either become a game manager and keep the team competitive or they bottom out, write off the season as a Rodgers disaster, get a high draft pick and run it back with Rodgers next season with a better backup.

Who is out there that can be signed, get up to speed and plugged into the system at this point? retreads and hasbeens?

We all agree that Wilson is bad but he's the only real options at this point - he doesnt have to be great - just Sanchez like.

Hes going to get a few games - if he fails and its a lost season then so be it. Thinking a Wentz/Ryan or other retread can come in and save the season is pipe dream. Zach can either become a game manager and keep the team competitive or they bottom out, write off the season as a Rodgers disaster, get a high draft pick and run it back with Rodgers next season with a better backup.
Depending how guys feel in Nashville, I’d love to see Tannehill dealt to the jets. Let the titans really see what they have in Levis and Willis. But that will take a few weeks if it happens.

Yeah basically.....so...is what it is. I mean you can’t fart on QB’s....now we gotta start making finical concessions so teams can hoard back up QB’s?

It’s fine the way it is. Owners paying gobbles of money to QB’s.....is what it is.

Deal with it if your a team that loses your #1 signal caller. It’s part of sports. Injuries happen.

Figure it out.

The Dolphins were a quarter away from the second round of the post season with our 3rd stringer last season.

I think this particular issue in "order of importance" is small. look, the jets have taken two "high pick, Low cost" QBs over the past 10 years and Neither have worked out. Perhaps instead of the NFL solving a non issue, the Jets should solve their Scouting department and pick a better rookie QB. It's one thing to be the colts and after Luck retires to lather, rinse, repeat on vet Qbs and truly another on getting Darnold and Wilson and making the same mistake twice.

Miami for all their "questions" about Tua did not start mortgaging their draft capital until they got a coach who believed in Tua (the concussions came after).

Finally, colleges spit out about 40 QBs a year and of those 40 maybe 10 are "NFL Worthy" How is having a larger QB cap going to change the lack of talent at the position?

Edit to add: Very few front offices consider taking 2 QBs in the same draft. If I were a GM I'd either do that or make sure I have one "draft pick" every 3 years be for a rookie QB because you never know.
Shula used to draft a QB every year....without fail....even with Marino. Always took a QB. In every single draft I believe.

Depending how guys feel in Nashville, I’d love to see Tannehill dealt to the jets. Let the titans really see what they have in Levis and Willis. But that will take a few weeks if it happens.
Tannehill HA HAHAHAHAHAHA Talk about a guy who would be murdered inside a game with that OL.

Dude he may have the worst pocket presence of any starting QB out there.

Good luck with that.

And again....how are the Jets going to make any high priced starter trade work under the cap? The Cap won’t work.

Yer stuck with what you got or a cheap backup off the street. This is what the reality is.

realistically, the only name that makes any sense to me is matt ryan. that is how bad the landscape is. i mean, would the lions move bridgewater? hooker would be the backup in detroit? if you talk winston, cam newton would be free, but can he play a little? some legit backups are needed to mentor younger qbs. flacco is completely shot. ryan is an absolute statue, but can he pro manage a game with that defense? i’d think yes. unfortunately, you are prolly staring at 2-3 weeks of hack wilson.

remember this, the jets went thru a lot of hoops and efforted extensively to get a qb because wilson can’t play the position. let’s make no mistake about that. being in the exact spot as last year is unenviable. if they believed wilson could play then rodgers wouldn’t be here. so, they have to find someone for when wilson has to sit for good again. from i what i read, wentz is a complete doosh.

i think they get ryan.

I think Wentz is toxic. No team will employ him again, IMO.
I somehow missed it. What did he do that was so toxic (other than play poorly)?

Seriously not being flippant but I’ve heard this comment now a few times on podcasts and now by you. I follow football closely and genuinely don’t know what I missed about wentz.

Tannehill HA HAHAHAHAHAHA Talk about a guy who would be murdered inside a game with that OL.

Good luck with that.

And again....how are the Jets going to make any high priced starter trade work under the cap? The Cap won’t work.

Yer stuck with what you got or a cheap backup off the street. This is what the reality is.
cutting carl lawson would save a pile of money, but i don’t know what happens after the season starts and i doubt a qb trade happens during the season. jets are stuck with hack wilson and a retread backup at some point.

realistically, the only name that makes any sense to me is matt ryan. that is how bad the landscape is. i mean, would the lions move bridgewater? hooker would be the backup in detroit? if you talk winston, cam newton would be free, but can he play a little? some legit backups are needed to mentor younger qbs. flacco is completely shot. ryan is an absolute statue, but can he pro manage a game with that defense? i’d think yes. unfortunately, you are prolly staring at 2-3 weeks of hack wilson.

remember this, the jets went thru a lot of hoops and efforted extensively to get a qb because wilson can’t play the position. let’s make no mistake about that. being in the exact spot as last year is unenviable. if they believed wilson could play then rodgers wouldn’t be here. so, they have to find someone for when wilson has to sit for good again. from i what i read, wentz is a complete doosh.

i think they get ryan.

Seriously not being flippant but I’ve heard this comment now a few times on podcasts and now by you. I follow football closely and genuinely don’t know what I missed about wentz.
after philly went to hurts, wentz basically checked out. stopped competing, wouldn’t help hurts in any way. think he was hated in indy and they were desperate to dump him.

Seems odd that they haven't signed a cheap emergency QB to the roster yet even if there is no plans to keep him long term.

Good luck with that.

I won't disagree with you on too many points here, but Tannehill played WR at Texas A&M and was really good at it. He's got a lot more mobility than you're giving him credit for.

I heard that Rivers "almost" came out of retirement last season when a team inquired.
Fitzpatrick still loves the Jets and could be functional.

They at least need a Trent Dilfer type, who will let the defense and running game dominate, make the throws needed and not make mistakes. Amazing to say that about Dilfer after his Tampa start, but that's who he became. Caretaker QB.

Not sure what the best options are. Trade for Brissett? Definitely not Wilson. I think that will become even clearer over the next few games.

i think they get ryan.

He quit on his team in Phily, which is a cardinal sin. He's a whiner. And he cost the Colts a playoff berth because he refused to get vaccinated against Covid. He also would change plays called by Doug Pederson when he didn't want to run them. Add to it his obnoxiously pious rhetoric and you have a QB that men don't want to play with or for. I don't think another NFL team gives him a shot.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

i think they get ryan.

He quit on his team in Phily, which is a cardinal sin. He's a whiner. And he cost the Colts a playoff berth because he refused to get vaccinated against Covid. He also would change plays called by Doug Pederson when he didn't want to run them. Add to it his obnoxiously pious rhetoric and you have a QB that men don't want to play with or for. I don't think another NFL team gives him a shot.
Thanks. This is what Ben Solak was alluding to as well. I somehow missed all this when it was going on.

I heard that Rivers "almost" came out of retirement last season when a team inquired.
Fitzpatrick still loves the Jets and could be functional.

They at least need a Trent Dilfer type, who will let the defense and running game dominate, make the throws needed and not make mistakes. Amazing to say that about Dilfer after his Tampa start, but that's who he became. Caretaker QB.

Not sure what the best options are. Trade for Brissett? Definitely not Wilson. I think that will become even clearer over the next few games.
Brissett seems like the best option to me when considering all factors (fit for system, cost, personality, etc.).

Good luck with that.

I won't disagree with you on too many points here, but Tannehill played WR at Texas A&M and was really good at it. He's got a lot more mobility than you're giving him credit for.
Those days of mobility are over….but more importantly his pocket presence never developed….at all. He needs to be protected or it all gets ugly. He really looks old these days and he has been beat up to hell man.

Good luck with that.

Those days of mobility are over….but more importantly his pocket presence never developed….at all. He needs to be protected or it all gets ugly. He really looks old these days and he has been beat up to hell man.

He had 270 yards and 7 rushing TDs just two years ago....I don't disagree that he's aging and mobility has waned, but he's not Vinny Testeverde back there either.

Bortles and Roethisberger also on their radar.

LINK

I would guess at this point, they are turning over every rock to assess what their options are.

Let's face it, I have no love for the jets, but this sucks for them in a lot of ways. Rivers is likely their best option bc of how this fell. Had it happenned in training camp, maybe they trade for Lance. Maybe a guy like David Mills?

If Mike White went anywhere but Miami maybe him (again)?

Bortles and Roethisberger also on their radar.

LINK

I would guess at this point, they are turning over every rock to assess what their options are.
I'm not a jets fan but I'd take Wilson over those two stiffs. Maybe Marino can finally be a Jet?

Good luck with that.

🤷 say what you will, and I’ll agree that he’s not elite by any stretch. But he’s squarely among the “above average starters who have won a playoff game after being drafted highly and playing poorly for a few years or more”.

Good luck with that.

He had 270 yards and 7 rushing TDs just two years ago....I don't disagree that he's aging and mobility has waned, but he's not Vinny Testeverde back there either.
They ravens wouldn’t trade him but Huntley would be perfect in some ways.

Good luck with that.

Forget that, I'd be on the phone trying to get that Aidan O'Connell, He looked great in the preseason.

Good luck with that.

Forget that, I'd be on the phone trying to get that Aidan O'Connell, He looked great in the preseason.
the raiders seem highly unlikely to trade him.

deja-

Good luck with that.

the raiders seem highly unlikely to trade him.
deja vu

in the end, they still need to develop the young QB on their roster. That priority has always been there. Rodgers presence just pushed that priority into the background a bit.
obviously they need a reasonable backup but in the interim, everything should be geared toward making Zach Wilson into a player. They dont really have any other options.
nobody they could acquire on the cheap is gonna make a huge difference to the bottom line for this season.

We give up on QBs far too quickly in todays NFL
How many QBs came into the league highly drafted, played as bad as Wilson did and made themselves into above average starters? Or won a playoff game? (Honestly asking)
goff and alex smith?
Goff was a pro bowl QB in his second season.
Smith and Tannehill are good examples of a player taking longer to develop into quality starters.
Geno Smith

Users who are viewing this thread