What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (4 Viewers)

Tables have turned.

I was watching the Prime interviews after the game with Goff and Monty. Really like Richard Sherman on that show.

Sherman said "Goff is a winner, and has always been a winner" None of them seemed impressed at all with Jordan Love.

I messed the pre-game but Goff made a comment about a statement one of them made and the whole crew was laughing.

They’ve got Gibbs for five years. They want him peaking in late December & January. In September he’s a luxury item.
Most of the moves they have made have been great but I'm still so bitter about the Gibbs pick. I could accept taking an RB like Bijan, but a player like Gibbs at pick 12, that is outrageous. They knew a player like Gibbs is not their identity and RB has no current value in todays NFL, WTF were they thinking. Keeping Swift and drafting Carter would have put them in serious super bowl consideration this year, now I think this pushes them back one year.
You want to make more good moves than bad ones. They have certainly done that.
It’s still early on Gibbs and there are 13 more games to go. And if they keep running Montgomery 32 times a game they’ll need Gibbs.

Regarding Carter to me this needs to be a long term evaluation. His character and fit were the questions and that is going to take time to determine if they were right to pass on him. Besides their draft looks a lot different if Carter was the pick at 6.

The Swift trade also needs to be evaluated longer term. Questions about his ability to be available and fit were there.

How Swift and Carter go longer term will serve as a good comparison of the Eagles and Lions organizations. Right now in the short term the advantage goes to the Eagles.

Last edited:
The Lions' Taylor Decker aggravated his high ankle sprain last night, but said beating Packers was worth it. Didn’t miss a snap.

HAS are tricky, especially for OL. Might end up missing more time.

Oh BTW, did not miss a snap.

The Lions' Taylor Decker aggravated his high ankle sprain last night, but said beating Packers was worth it. Didn’t miss a snap.

Branch hurt his ankle too, but now they can pretty much take a week off to heal.

Branch hurt his ankle too, but now they can pretty much take a week off to heal.

Branch came back out and played; haven't heard anyone say it's a high ankle sprain but we'll see next week. HAS + bone bruise are a whole other animal from ordinary low ankle sprain.

Boy, thank goodness BB is OK. Was feeling sick for a few minutes waiting for word and feared something far worse.

preliminary PFF grades Week 4

Five highest-graded defenders (with enough snaps):
  1. DL John Cominksy (84.9)
  2. DL Alim McNeill (83.0)
  3. DB Brian Branch (82.5)
  4. LB Alex Anzalone (81.1)
  5. EDGE Aidan Hutchinson (80.1)
Five-lowest graded defenders (with enough snaps):
  • LB Jack Campbell (46.9)
  • EDGE Charles Harris (49.8)
  • DL Benito Jones (49.8)
  • S Tracy Walker (60.1)
  • LB Derrick Barnes (64.2)
Five highest-graded offensive players (with enough snaps):
  1. WR Josh Reynolds (82.2)
  2. RB David Montgomery (80.2)
  3. WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (80.0)
  4. OG Graham Glasgow (76.0)
  5. C Frank Ragnow (74.9)
Five lowest-graded offensive players (with enough snaps):
  • OT Taylor Decker (48.0)
  • TE Brock Wright (52.8)
  • OG Jonah Jackson (58.1)
  • RB Jahmyr Gibbs (59.5)
  • TE Sam LaPorta (66.1)

Wouldn't hate Decker taking two off to get better. We should be able to beat Carolina without him.

When you think about it the Lions are doing this with very little production from their last three #1 picks. Unreal.

But the other picks have shined.

If NFL teams had their pick of Gibbs and Campbell or LaPorta and Branch not sure any team would take the two first rounders. If they start performing look out.

Jacobs has two INT's and still doesn't grade high.

Seems like every time they give up a deep ball or a PI.... its Jacobs.

Leads the team in missed tackles, penalties and the worst coverage grade by a country mile

MCDC telegraphed his near term future in the postgame. “Jerry, man, that’s a guy who is always going to be a part of what we do. [Even if it’s on special teams.]”

As soon as Emmanuel Moseley is 100% Jacobs is no longer going to be the starting RCB. They’ll figure out ways to utilize him but not in the base defense.

Edit [oops left out the best part]

Last edited:
Name
Snap CountPFF Grade
1. Josh Reynolds (2nd - 76.1 run block)55 (24 routes run, 13.7 ADoT)82.2
2. David Montgomery (1st - 78.3 run, 3rd - 78.2 pass block)53 (17 routes run, 3 pass pro snaps)80.2
3. Amon-Ra St. Brown (1st - 85.8 run block)66 (32 routes run)80.0
4. Graham Glasgow (3rd - 74.4 run block)7576.0
5. Frank Ragnow (1st 84.2 pass block)7574.9
6. Darrell Daniels574.1
7. Jared Goff7572.9
8. Penei Sewell (2nd - 80.4 pass block)7566.7
9. Sam LaPorta (team high 31 YAC)60 (23 routes run, 3 pass pro snaps. 9 inline, 8 slot, 6 wide)66.1
10. Kalif Raymond17 (12 routes run)65.7
11. Craig Reynolds160.0
12. Jahmyr Gibbs28 (14 routes run, 0 pass pro snaps)59.5
13. Jonah Jackson7558.1
14. Antoine Green1556.6
15. Marvin Jones Jr.2152.9
16. Brock Wright44 (12 routes run, 4 pass pro snaps)52.8
17. Taylor Decker7548.0
18. James Mitchell1032.1

Jared Goff with a clean pocket Week 4:
  • 22 drop backs
  • 1 scramble for 10 yards
  • 16 of 21 with 1 drop and 1 batted ball
  • 191 yards, TD, NFL passer rating of 119.3
  • 1 Big Time Throw and 0 Turnover Worthy Plays
Jared Goff under pressure Week 4:
  • 9 drop backs
  • 2 sacks for -20 yards
  • 3 of 7
  • 19 yards, 1 INT, NFL passer rating of 10.7
  • 0 Big Time Throw and 1 Turnover Worthy Plays

NAMESNAPSDEFENSE RUN DEFENSETACKLINGPASS RUSHCOVERAGE
1. John Cominsky LE3684.974.573.575.0-
2. Alim McNeil DLT3483.067.768.778.7-
3. Brian Branch SS4082.572.581.860.079.8
4. Alex Anzalone WLB5781.174.378.353.977.3
5. Aidan Hutchinson DLE5480.169.669.979.5-
6. Isaiah Buggs NT1277.161.165.965.5-
7. Romeo Okwara RE871.560.0-69,.860.0
8. Cam Sutton LCB5770.375.975.1-67.7
9. Levi Onwuzurike DLT1069.360.267.354.6-
10. ifeatu Melifonwu FS4667.960.281.6-66.3
11. jerry jacobs RCB5767.362.179.1-71.9
12. Malcolm Rodriguez MLB765.460.2--62.9
13. Derrick Barnes MLB4264.249.079.462.169.8
14. Jalen Reeves-Maybin WLB260.4---60.3
15. Tracy Walker III SS5760.149.880.767.361.0
16. Benito Jones DRT2149.853.9-52.8-
17. Charles Harris DRE3849.865.472.853.660.0
18. Will Harris LCB1449.360.077.5-48.6
19. Jack Campbell LOLB3546.961.271.449.248.1

Tota Missed Tackles by Week
  1. 11
  2. 13
  3. 8
  4. 2

Jared Goff with a clean pocket Week 4:
  • 22 drop backs
  • 1 scramble for 10 yards
  • 16 of 21 with 1 drop and 1 batted ball
  • 191 yards, TD, NFL passer rating of 119.3
  • 1 Big Time Throw and 0 Turnover Worthy Plays
Jared Goff under pressure Week 4:
  • 9 drop backs
  • 2 sacks for -20 yards
  • 3 of 7
  • 19 yards, 1 INT, NFL passer rating of 10.7
  • 0 Big Time Throw and 1 Turnover Worthy Plays
Better get ready to pay Jonah Jackson!!

I wanted to take a minute and congratulate the Lions on a terrific start to the season,
If they'd lost by a point vs winning by a point against K.C. then we might have a little different POV
I imagine many of you feel like Miami fans this year and have a lot of hope for making the post season
Long journey, injuries are killers and you already had a little taste of life without Monty, need to keep him healthy.
So many new rookies to cheer for, young team.
Happy for Jameson Williams to become a quicker part of the team this year. I hope he can enhance and not slow down what the Lions are doing.
Cheers!

I wanted to take a minute and congratulate the Lions on a terrific start to the season,
If they'd lost by a point vs winning by a point against K.C. then we might have a little different POV
I imagine many of you feel like Miami fans this year and have a lot of hope for making the post season
Long journey, injuries are killers and you already had a little taste of life without Monty, need to keep him healthy.
So many new rookies to cheer for, young team.
Happy for Jameson Williams to become a quicker part of the team this year. I hope he can enhance and not slow down what the Lions are doing.
Cheers!

Injuries are the way of life in the NFL. This years Lions are deeper than the past years and can sustain the usual bumps and sprains better. Even have a good backup QB after a decade of nobodies.

I really want to see Williams and Gibby light it up one game with explosive plays like Tyreek Hill does. Those are game changers.

Every time Jared Goff has thrown an interception this year (3x), he's lead the offense for a touchdown on an ensuing drive.
His teammates don't have to pick him up, he picks himself up.

I can't speak to every TD, but the move that ARSB made on the Packer DB made that a very easy touchdown throw for Goff.

That was a play they put in this week specifically to bait Rasul Douglas. Nice route but credit to Ben Johnson.

Early line has the Lions as -7.5 at home despite last years result on the frozen ice rink in Carolina.

Lions have the 6th ranked offense and 6th ranked defense rn (yds /g basis.) With road wins at KC and at GB I’m thinking overhyped will be the new normal for awhile.

Have a long ways to go cleaning up both units and a year after being #1 in Special Teams they’re middle of the pack. They play good complimentary football but they’re nowhere near elite IMO. But good luck slowing down the media from hyping them.

Early line has the Lions as -7.5 at home despite last years result on the frozen ice rink in Carolina.

Lions have the 6th ranked offense and 6th ranked defense rn (yds /g basis.) With road wins at KC and at GB I’m thinking overhyped will be the new normal for awhile.

Have a long ways to go cleaning up both units and a year after being #1 in Special Teams they’re middle of the pack. They play good complimentary football but they’re nowhere near elite IMO. But good luck slowing down the media from hyping them.
I think there is still so much negative history going back decades that still needs to be forgotten/buried before there is an overreaction. You see it in some of the media for example Michael Wilbon's last Lions take on Pardon the Interrruption which basically was you haven't proved anything yet and season is still young. Kornheiser was more supportive but didn't really contradict him. Nothing wrong with it because Lions haven't won a playoff game since 1991. Also there are a ton of Goff haters out there who are just waiting for him to turn into a pumpkin and will downgrade the Lions' prospects.

Many people do see the positive changes that have occurred especially those who follow the team closely such as the fans who participate in this thread. The loss to Seattle was a tough one but they have responded in a gritty winning way.

I think there is still so much negative history going back decades that still needs to be forgotten/buried before there is an overreaction. You see it in some of the media for example Michael Wilbon's last Lions take on Pardon the Interrruption which basically was you haven't proved anything yet and season is still young. Kornheiser was more supportive but didn't really contradict him. Nothing wrong with it because Lions haven't won a playoff game since 1991. Also there are a ton of Goff haters out there who are just waiting for him to turn into a pumpkin and will downgrade the Lions' prospects.

Many people do see the positive changes that have occurred especially those who follow the team closely such as the fans who participate in this thread. The loss to Seattle was a tough one but they have responded in a gritty winning way.

Yeah that’s not negativity to me. They haven’t accomplished anything.

They’re on a good trajectory but nobody cares how you start, it’s how you finish. One game lead is nothing.

[Justin Rogers] Brian Branch drew two $8,100 fines for his pair of 15-yard penalties against the Falcons, the horse-collar tackle and unnecessary roughness, when he went helmet to helmet with Bijan Robinson late in the game.

Saw another guy got popped for $87,000 so a light fine seems appropriate. The horse collar kind of wasn’t (grabbed the back of his jersey with his weak arm & pulled him down.) The H2H only happened bc Bijan lowered his helmet. Regardless, Branch is a bad *** little dude.

Branches week 3 stat line of 11 tackles, 3 TFL, and 2 PD has only been accomplished 11 times in the last decade. The other 10 were by linebackers. Best tackling DB in the NFL as a rookie, a good cover guy too.

Branches week 3 stat line of 11 tackles, 3 TFL, and 2 PD has only been accomplished 11 times in the last decade. The other 10 were by linebackers. Best tackling DB in the NFL as a rookie, a good cover guy too.

read this week he's the only CB or Slot Corner with a grade above 80 in both run defense and coverage

playing a little FS in base now with Kerby out - though I have to say Melifonwu has exceeded expectations in the nickel packages when BB goes back to the Slot/Box S

Iffy may have finally found a home

Really looking forward to next week's game. Getting Jamo back should really complete the offense on the one dimension that has been missing. Amon-Ra and LaPorta have been elite. Reynolds has provided that solid play when needed. Montgomery has been solid running for those tough yards, getting in the end zone and icing the game. Jamo will take away the defense's top cover guy and force the safeties to play back. Just the threat of Jamo opens the entire field up for the other players. Gibbs might be able to turn one of the 15-yard gains into a 65-yard TD. LaPorta and ARSB YAC will get even better. The offense has been good, but should take a huge step up with the full slate of weapons.

The Lions have allowed 243 rushing yards this season. That’s the fewest in the league.

They had allowed 662 yards at this time last year.

RB1s against the Detroit Lions defense this season:
- Aaron Jones: 5 rushes, 18 yds
- Bijan Robinson: 10 rushes, 33 yards
- Kenneth Walker III: 17 rushes, 43 yards
- Isaiah Pacheco: 8 rushes, 23 yards

This all started in November though:

Aaron Jones 2x (25 yards + 48 yards)
Travis Etienne (54)
Saquon Barkley (22)
Dalvin Cook (23)

yes I am pretending Carolina didn’t run for 320 in the middle of that lol

This is why I like DC. No BS.

DC was not exactly gushing over Williams return in todays presser. I think we as fans are hoping for the big splash plays. DC seems to just want Williams to be a stable player.

When asked about Williams going forward this season Campbell said his only goal for Williams this fall is to be a reliable, dependable player when it comes to executing his job.

"Get lined up, know where you’re supposed to be. We’re going to get the depth out of you and we need to count on you to be where you’re supposed to be, when you’re supposed to be there. That’s it," Campbell said. "I’m not looking for yards, I’m not looking for explosives, not looking for touchdowns. Man, just be a reliable receiver, like all of those guys in the room. That’s it. Cause we’re about winning. It’s not about one player, and that’ll help us win."

Lions DVOA report through 4 weeks:

Overall: 3rd

Offense: 5th -- 6th passing, 6th rushing

Defense: 5th -- 8th passing, 3rd rushing

Top 10 units across the board.

#stayhumble

And neither the offense or defense has really peaked. Especially the offense, I think can be a lot better.

This is why I like DC. No BS.

DC was not exactly gushing over Williams return in todays presser. I think we as fans are hoping for the big splash plays. DC seems to just want Williams to be a stable player.

When asked about Williams going forward this season Campbell said his only goal for Williams this fall is to be a reliable, dependable player when it comes to executing his job.

"Get lined up, know where you’re supposed to be. We’re going to get the depth out of you and we need to count on you to be where you’re supposed to be, when you’re supposed to be there. That’s it," Campbell said. "I’m not looking for yards, I’m not looking for explosives, not looking for touchdowns. Man, just be a reliable receiver, like all of those guys in the room. That’s it. Cause we’re about winning. It’s not about one player, and that’ll help us win."
Thats the coach delivering a message and sounds like he may not have been reliable to date. Williams career to date has been choppy. He's really still a rookie.

Appears he needs to show up with his lunch box each day on time ready to work.

Campbell has said each player develops in his own way. I'm glad he's back from his ticky-tack suspension. Hoping for good things for him and Gibbs as the season goes on. If either breaks out Lions offense becomes ferocious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread