What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

Whelp Indy didn't workout last week so going to give the Commanders a try this week.
Whelp...
I’m right there with you.

I’ve been so bad at streaming this year. I’ve streamed a negative scoring defense 3 times in 5 weeks.
Now the question is the Commanders have the Falcons and Giants coming up. Are they a hold? Did the Bears just get a Butkus Bump?
As @dgreen pointed out in the game thread, the Commies have given up 144 points the past 4 weeks. Not sure I'd want to run them out there right now, despite those opponents.

Whelp Indy didn't workout last week so going to give the Commanders a try this week.
Whelp...

I’ve been so bad at streaming this year. I’ve streamed a negative scoring defense 3 times in 5 weeks.
Now the question is the Commanders have the Falcons and Giants coming up. Are they a hold? Did the Bears just get a Butkus Bump?
I’m just even more upset that I just missed out on the Bills juicy 7 game schedule with my Tuesday FAAB bid.

I should have uncorked a little more. I was $6 short.
I am sincerely sorry for you about that.

Also, no one cares about your fantasy team. ;)

Whelp...

As @dgreen pointed out in the game thread, the Commies have given up 144 points the past 4 weeks. Not sure I'd want to run them out there right now, despite those opponents.
I pointed that out in the WSIS thread. I balanced it out with Fields high sack rate and general offensive ineptitude.

I blame Butkus.

Whelp...

I’m just even more upset that I just missed out on the Bills juicy 7 game schedule with my Tuesday FAAB bid.

I should have uncorked a little more. I was $6 short.
I am sincerely sorry for you about that.

Also, no one cares about your fantasy team. ;)
I know, I know. I just was and am really upset about my poor streaming choices this year. Especially on a Thursday night where I have to stare at a negative number all weekend until Sunday.

Back to my daily routine of panicking about my fantasy team and playing the should’ve would’ve could’ve mental gymnastics.

Already have Baltimore and Cleveland, but I like to carry 3 all season. Also have New England but considering dropping them for the NYJ.
Good move, bad move or neutral?

Already have Baltimore and Cleveland, but I like to carry 3 all season. Also have New England but considering dropping them for the NYJ.

they haven't been as good as we thought they'd be so IDK

contemplating adding CLE to BAL/DET (would drop one of them later), just trying to decide if Hunt is totally worthless

I think the Browns are the best IRL defense but that doesn't always translate to FF (and near term they have few tough matchups)

really not sure what to do this weekend; I like both BAL @ PIT and DET v CAR

Whelp...

I think they were exhausted from the Eagles game and having to turn right around. They should be well rested and prepared for their next outing.

Whelp...

I think they were exhausted from the Eagles game and having to turn right around. They should be well rested and prepared for their next outing.
It certainly looked like they got plenty of rest last night.

Having 3 def seems like a bad move
We have 25 of player rosters

We have 18 (10 starters 8 bench 1 QB PPR)

I usually carry 2 DSTs but sometimes will hold 3 for a week or two. In our format yards allowed, sacks, TFL, 3 n outs forced, 4th down stops, return RDs all earn points (+ the standard PA, INT, FR, safety, Def TD.)

Last year I held the DST1 (Pats) and DST9 (Jets.) The former was equivalent to TE2/RB11/WR14. The latter was TE5/RB27/WR30.

I also held the DS2 (49ers) early in the year but traded them in mid-October for Evan Engram.

edit

So last year I used a total of 12 defenses over 17 weeks, and 7 of those weeks I held 3 DSTs (1 week I only had one.) I kept the same pair for the three weeks of the playoffs.

Choosing matchups, I scored 288.50 points from my DST. The most any single DST scored was 242.50. I was hardly perfect in picking my lineup, I got the DST choice right only 11 out of 17. But by paying attention to generous offenses who turn the ball over and planning a few weeks in advance, I usually had two or three good choices so getting it perfect didn't matter.

I've been using this system for about 5-6 years. My league mates currently hold 15 defenses across 11 teams. I'm always the only one who will hold 3.

edit 2

288.50 points was equivalent to:

• QB12
  • WR7
  • RB6
  • TE2
This is not the first time matchups was better than hypothetically riding the DST1 all year long. Think it's happened 4 of the last 6 years, and the other two years it was close, like top 3.

Last edited:

I think that NE has a better Rest of season projection and matchup schedule than NYJ if that helps 🙂
It does thank you!

I think that NE has a better Rest of season projection and matchup schedule than NYJ if that helps 🙂
It does thank you!
maybe you can help me. PPR i need to play either Dallas vs SF or Hou vs Atl?

How about those Saints? Helped me to win my week.

Anybody else thinking about shutting down the streaming for the season and just rolling with them until some personnel get hurt or the wheels come off? I know it's been mentioned before in this thread, but the rest of that schedule is a DST's dream:

6 @HOU
7 JAC
8 @IND
9 CHI
10 @MIN
11 BYE WEEK
12 @ATL
13 DET
14 CAR
15 NYG
16 @LAR
17 @TB

Only Detroit in week 13 is a concern. Rams and Bucs in the fantasy playoffs aren't ideal, but also not deal breakers either.

I dropped the Saints to pick up the Ravens - wish I didn't. Oh well at least I won my week but it was a lot more stressful than it should have been.

Whelp...

I'm just sticking with the Commanders the next 2 weeks. Opponents are juicy and this defense is SUPPOSED to be talented. Hopefully they figure it out.

Whelp...

I'm just sticking with the Commanders the next 2 weeks. Opponents are juicy and this defense is SUPPOSED to be talented. Hopefully they figure it out.
Me too.

Whelp...

I dropped Washington and picked up Las Vegas. I’ve made all the wrong choices all year so you are probably right sticking with Wash… but they burned me last week.

Whelp...

I dropped Washington and picked up Las Vegas. I’ve made all the wrong choices all year so you are probably right sticking with Wash… but they burned me last week.

Have DET, but don't love the @TB matchup. Baker is slinging it and he should have Evans back.

I also grabbed the LV D at home against NE. I'm a NE fan and I've never seen such a bad offense. Not a single thing is clicking. LV didn't seem so bad at home against GB and I'd argue that offense is 5x more functional than NE.

Now watch Mac Jones throw 5 TDs and R. Stevenson run for 150.

Whelp...

Have DET, but don't love the @TB matchup. Baker is slinging it and he should have Evans back.

I also grabbed the LV D at home against NE. I'm a NE fan and I've never seen such a bad offense. Not a single thing is clicking. LV didn't seem so bad at home against GB and I'd argue that offense is 5x more functional than NE.

Now watch Mac Jones throw 5 TDs and R. Stevenson run for 150.
With my luck picking defenses weekly this year, and going against Rahmondre, I wouldn’t doubt it.

Fade me.

I picked up the Raiders to go against the Pats this week and dropped Commanders who give up too many points, but I don't feel good about it. There are reports that the Pats are "tweaking" the offense quite a bit and have to be better that the last 2 games. The run game scares me against a terrible run defense for Raiders and I can see a few gimmick plays to get the offense going.

Other options are
Falcons vs Commanders
Chargers vs Cowboys
Bengals vs Seahawks
Rams vs Cardinals

Howell takes too many drive killing sacks, putting the defense in pretty bad positions. They get gassed. I wouldn't recommend them against a team who loves to run the ball.

They’re running a very similar scheme as Seattle, which has given DET fits the last two years (85 pts in 2 g.) Plus it’s likely Slot CB Brian Branch [is out again.] He’s the glue, great on coverage and a downhill box S in run support.

TB defense has some vets still playing at a very high level. Big challenge for Detroit. Also, this weekend is the return of the creamsicle throwbacks - can’t wait to see them.

I expect the Bucs to be fresh coming off the bye & fired up to take charge of the South.

Last edited:
Y'all still going with the Ravens as your primary, instead of playing the wire each week?

This week playing them over DET. Also CLE on the WW.

I’m not comfortable setting it and forgetting it with these Ravens, though. They enough tough matchups you would do well to pair them if your roster can absorb that.

They’re running a very similar scheme as Seattle, which has given DET fits the last two years (85 pts in 2 g.) Plus it’s likely Slot CB Brian Branch. He’s the glue, great on coverage and a downhill box S in run support.

TB defense has some vets still playing at a very high level. Big challenge for Detroit. Also, this weekend is the return of the creamsicle throwbacks - can’t wait to see them.

I expect the Bucs to be fresh coming off the bye & fired up to take charge of the South.
Yeah leaning LV instead, but don't love it.

Kinda feel like DET is due to have somewhat of a sub par game too. Think TB will be ready for them.

I got lucky with the Denver D last week, looking at Washington now. Basically trying to face Fields every week lol
I know it's a late response, but I just saw this. You started Broncos defense after the team gave up 70 the week before? Talk about big balls of the year award. It actually worked out which makes this even more epic. Ha ha

Lol, it balanced out with what the Commanders did to me last week. :bag:

They’re running a very similar scheme as Seattle, which has given DET fits the last two years (85 pts in 2 g.) Plus it’s likely Slot CB Brian Branch. He’s the glue, great on coverage and a downhill box S in run support.

Yeah leaning LV instead, but don't love it.

Kinda feel like DET is due to have somewhat of a sub par game too. Think TB will be ready for them.

They’re a terrible defense with one elite pass rusher. But given the ineptitude of Mac Jones it just might work out.

from r/frantasyfootball (r/subvertadown posts a weekly "Defensive Maneuvers" thread)

Tuesday RankD/ST (Yards-allowed penalized "ESPN")Tuesday Projection
149ers @ Browns12.6
2Eagles @ Jets12.4
3Bills vs. Giants12.1
4Chiefs vs. Broncos12.0
5Dolphins vs. Panthers11.1
6Vikings @ Bears9.9
7Ravens @ Titans8.5
8(Bengals vs. Seahawks)7.5
9Jaguars vs. Colts7.4
10Lions @ Buccaneers7.4

Whelp...

Was that last word correct? Just feels like routing is more appropriate for these bums.

2023 NFL season: Four things to watch for in Broncos-Chiefs on Prime Video

Excerpt:

1. Denver’s defense will have its hands full either way. Let’s start with the not-terrible news: The Broncos are middle of the pack defensively in terms of sack and interception rates and third-down success. The problem? Most of the other numbers are near or at the bottom. Denver allows a stunning 187.6 rush yards per game, more than 50 more than the next-worst team. The pass defense gives up 8.5 yards per pass attempt, too -- half a yard greater than any other defense. Coordinator Vance Joseph has come under fire for his unit’s play over the past four games, allowing an average of 498 yards and 41 points. How can they possibly stop the Chiefs, even if they’re banged up? As Cardinals defensive coordinator last year, Joseph tried an unusual approach to stopping Mahomes: by blitzing him 59.5% of his dropbacks, per NGS. Joseph’s approach didn’t work, as Mahomes diced up Arizona (30 of 39, 360 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INT). Most teams don’t even attempt that -- Mahomes has been blitzed a league-low 20.6% of his dropbacks since 2018 -- but the Vikings had respectable success doing just that, blitzing Mahomes on 46.5% of his dropbacks Sunday. No matter what approach Joseph takes, his defense has struggled with the basics, such as covering receivers and tackling. You can send the house every play if you want, but if those areas aren’t fixed, it won’t matter.
  2. Chiefs defense can keep strong play going, but Broncos have threats. Kansas City’s defense is by no means a perfect unit, but there’s an argument to be made that it has helped steady the ship while the offense has fallen short of its typical Star Wars-like numbers. The run defense, pass-rush numbers and big plays in the pass game (only one INT) have been lacking. But the Chiefs are top 10 in some pretty important categories, including yards allowed, third-down defense and red-zone efficiency. They’re getting healthier, too, with LB Nick Boltonpossibly returning Thursday. But the Broncos have enough playmakers to stress good defenses, especially with RB Javonte Williams back after missing Week 5 and Jaleel McLaughlin giving Denver’s offense a lift as a runner and receiver. WRs Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy and Marvin Mims Jr. all have double-digit catches and more than 200 yards receiving, and the emerging Brandon Johnson gives Wilson another viable target. Wilson also has shown more willingness to scramble, something he did effectively vs. Steve Spagnuolo’s defense last year. Kansas City’s corners have been terrific, and the pass rush likely will heat up eventually, but Denver appears to have the firepower to hang for four quarters.

Users who are viewing this thread