What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

I was thinking I’d be starting reynolds this week over gibbs as the “safe play”. Now with reynolds being designated w/ a hammy/toe I’m backing off and going gibbs. I still think if reynolds plays he’s the safer start as I’m guessing he’ll get the gl work.

How is the Baltimore D this year? I assume pretty stout against the run?

Banged up but getting healthier. Unsurprisingly, they hit like a MFer. Big challenge for 16.
Yeah a road game against a well coached and well built team like Baltimore is sure to be a challenge. I kind of expect us to lose. Not because I am a doubter, but just because that's how the NFL is. Getting humbled on the road is just part of the league. If Detroit wins here, on the road, against an experienced MVP QB and SB winning coach than I do think it bumps Detroit fully into the KC-SF-Philly-Buf tier of elites.

If Detroit wins here, on the road, against an experienced MVP QB and SB winning coach than I do think it bumps Detroit fully into the KC-SF-Philly-Buf tier of elites.

Yeah unfortunately the hot take gotta get there first crowd is already crowning Detroit and calling them a top 3 in the entire league SB contender.

OK, I get it, 4 straight by at least 14 gets people hard, but how about we get a few more games under our belt. We’ve accomplished nothing of true significance. Couple nice road wins, 13 of the last 16, but one week at a time.

Look ahead & start daydreaming & believing the hype machine, you’ll get your hat handed to you. Cardinals embarrassing the Cowgirls type stuff.

Stay humble& keep your head down. It’s a long season.
Yep, for me a win this weekend makes them officially 5th. It will take a little more to move them further up than that because as you said those top top teams have actually put their dicks on table when the knives were out.

Banged up but getting healthier. Unsurprisingly, they hit like a MFer. Big challenge for 16.
Yeah a road game against a well coached and well built team like Baltimore is sure to be a challenge. I kind of expect us to lose. Not because I am a doubter, but just because that's how the NFL is. Getting humbled on the road is just part of the league. If Detroit wins here, on the road, against an experienced MVP QB and SB winning coach than I do think it bumps Detroit fully into the KC-SF-Philly-Buf tier of elites.
Z. Moss did pretty well against them. 30-122 with a couple catches and a TD.

A hodge podge of CLE RBs also did pretty well.

Henry almost took one to the house last week.

Good, yes. Dominant, no.

Feels like they’ll put the game of Gibbs somewhat. They have a lot of versatility in the passing concepts but good week to lean on 26.

Could be a slugfest, both teams are very physical on both sides of the ball.

Some Wild A** Guesses:

run 67 plays
39 drop backs, 2 sacks, 37 PA
28 RA

PASSING 250 yards
RUSHING 125 yards

Gibbs 20-72 | 4-30
Reynolds 6-40
Mo I 2-13
If Craig Reynolds is dinged I wonder if AST Brown gets some touches out of the backfield.

Feels like they’ll put the game of Gibbs somewhat. They have a lot of versatility in the passing concepts but good week to lean on 26.

Some Wild A** Guesses:

run 67 plays
28 RA

PASSING 250 yards
RUSHING 125 yards

Gibbs 20-72 | 4-30
Reynolds 6-40
Mo I 2-13

That's about 14-15 PPR points for Gibbs. About what I'm seeing projected.

Hell, I just want to see him a) be healthy, b) play, and c) Give me hope I'm not screwed until Montgomery gets back.

If he happens to break one to the house I'm cracking beers early.

If Detroit wins here, on the road, against an experienced MVP QB and SB winning coach than I do think it bumps Detroit fully into the KC-SF-Philly-Buf tier of elites.

Yeah unfortunately the hot take gotta get there first crowd is already crowning Detroit and calling them a top 3 in the entire league SB contender.

OK, I get it, 4 straight by at least 14 gets people hard, but how about we get a few more games under our belt. We’ve accomplished nothing of true significance. Couple nice road wins, 13 of the last 16, but one week at a time.

Look ahead & start daydreaming & believing the hype machine, you’ll get your hat handed to you. Cardinals embarrassing the Cowgirls type stuff.

Stay humble& keep your head down. It’s a long season.
Yep, for me a win this weekend makes them officially 5th. It will take a little more to move them further up than that because as you said those top top teams have actually put their dicks on table when the knives were out.

Exactly. Like you can make the argument “those teams we had in front of them all had bad weeks. Detroit brings it every week.”

OK, fine, 4 impressive wins. But…
  • Desmond Ridder
  • Jordan Love
  • Bryce Young
  • Baker Mayfield
That’s your 4 games by 14+ win streak OPP QB.

How about we see if they can win versus a big boy QB before we say they’re awesome?
Yep, you put Lamar Jackson and then soon Justin Herbert's names on that list (both road games too) I will be at full attention. Right now it's still a half chub.

Some Wild A** Guesses:

run 67 plays
28 RA

PASSING 250 yards
RUSHING 125 yards

Gibbs 20-72 | 4-30
Reynolds 6-40
Mo I 2-13

That's about 14-15 PPR points for Gibbs. About what I'm seeing projected.

Hell, I just want to see him a) be healthy, b) play, and c) Give me hope I'm not screwed until Montgomery gets back.

If he happens to break one to the house I'm cracking beers early.
I want that one play so bad. Like what Jamo had last week. Take that one screen 50 yards or find the edge the opening on a counter and house it. Let us and teams know that Gibbs is going to score from distance if you don't pay special attention.

I’m guessing he’ll get the gl work.

WRT Craig…really? Would you mind sharing how you got there?
I have no statistics or coach speak to back it up. Just a hunch after watching how they’ve used him previously and knowing gibbs hasn’t been practice. He seems ok up the middle.

Fair enough.

Listen I like Craig Reynolds, it's a great story, have a ton of admiration for the perseverance and fortitude it took for him to carve out a role for himself on an NFL roster.

His A Gap run stats are decent enough in limited opportunities (32 inside the Guards rush attempts over 3 years.) Historically he has never had any significant role except 2 g in 2021 when both the 1A/1B are unavailable. Functionally he's a 4-phase STer who you utilize sparingly when the starter needs a breather. He is not talented enough to take on a bigger role.

IMO

Reynolds so far this season (24-89-1):
  • LE 3-21-0
  • LG 4-11-1
  • ML 1-(-1)-0
  • MR 5-28-0
  • RG 2-11-0
  • RT 2-5-0
  • RE 7-14-0
Gibbs so far this season (39-179-0):
  • LE 9-51-0
  • LG 3-17-0
  • ML 6-29-0
  • MR 4-16-0
  • RG 3-17-0
  • RT 1-3-0
  • RE 12-40-0
  • JSR 1-6-0
I don’t think reynolds is anything special either. But he does seem to get what’s there for him and the coaches like him. All I’m saying is with gibbs having been out to injury and not practicing there going to play him somewhere if he’s healthy enough. I could easily see mcdc taking it easy on gibbs fresh off injury and not banging him up the middle near the gl.

The only reason I think this is even relevant because the dang injuries are so bad right now. -scrapes barrel

This will be a difficult game to win, but I would say it is at least 50-50 for sure. Expect a good game from both.

If Gibby plays I expect a couple of splash plays that we have not seen from him. Want to see the Lions get him 1-2 screen passes.

This will be a difficult game to win, but I would say it is at least 50-50 for sure. Expect a good game from both.

If Gibby plays I expect a couple of splash plays that we have not seen from him. Want to see the Lions get him 1-2 screen passes.
That would be nice.. but they have been so disappointing with their usage for him so far

That would be nice.. but they have been so disappointing with their usage for him so far

I really want to see Gibby get the ball with some space to see the speed and moves. Want to see him hit that top end speed.

I really want to see Gibby get the ball with some space to see the speed and moves. Want to see him hit that top end speed.
Same been waiting all year lol :ROFLMAO:... he is as fast as Tyreek Hill (Top end speed of 23 mph).. probably not as quick though

Same been waiting all year lol :ROFLMAO:... he is as fast as Tyreek Hill (Top end speed of 23 mph).. probably not as quick though
Well when he was drafted is was be a RB/Slot/WR type. Line up anywhere. Had a couple of drops and ran a wrong route that led to an INT early in the season. Would love to see him get the ball on a crossing pattern with room and see what happens.

Seeing tweets about C. Reynolds back to a limited practice and D. Montgomery DNP. Nothing on Gibbs.

I'm hoping it's not wishful thinking that no news is good news?

Sure hope there is a definite Yes or No today!

Short bench (1 RB) with that bench RB on bye week, make keeping Gibbs in this situation somewhat uncomfortable! :)

Lions head coach said RB Jahmyr Gibbs (hamstring) will take the “load” of rushing attempts in Week 7 against the Ravens.
“I’d like to say we’ll be careful with him, but the reality of it is we need him, so we’ll go as far as he can take us,” Campbell said Friday. “He’s ready.” It’s finally happening for Gibbs drafters, who have seen their guy relegated to a part-time pass-catching role behind lead back David Montgomery this season. Montgomery is sidelined with a rib injury, leaving Gibbs and a banged-up Craig Reynolds as Detroit’s only to viable running back options. Assuming he’s a full go, Gibbs should (finally) be a top-12 fantasy option in Week 7. At worst, his PPR floor should be solid.

With Hall and Hubbard on bye and Roschon declared out, starting with Pacheco. Other options:
  • Jaylen Warren
  • D’Onta Foreman
It’s going to be a low scoring week league wide. Lowest implied totals from the O/U this year.

Besides the stars out due to bye week, this season has seen the fewest TDs since 2010.
Probably cause of all these young QB's. Starting QB's are the youngest they have been in 60 years due to Brady, brees, Roeth, and Ryan retiring recently. This could be part of the reason for these offenses are sucking.

The other part is that the defensive coordinators and defenses might have finally caught up to all the recent rule changes that benefit the offense

Campbell quoted as saying something along the lines of he's going to "carry the load" and "he'd like to ease him in but they need him."

Tough matchup, but looks like his time is now.

There’s a lot of optimism for gibbs this week. If he’s falling down dropping balls and missing blocks I don’t think Campbell is going to be too forgiving about it. This is a huge week for gibbs imo. I’m super excited to see what he does with the opportunity and I’ll be using this game as a measuring stick to determine his potential for the rest of the season.

After seeing that video im not sure how much he realizes how important this game is for him.

Here’s to Sunday!

I'm sure Gibbs can have a great day but I'm not trusting him in my lineups where I have other options.

FBGs has him ranked a fair amount ahead of Jonathan Taylor but I'm playing JT ahead of him, even though JT's matchup is super dicey.

I guess whatever goodwill I had for Gibbs was erased by his early season lack of production. Now he's coming off injury, the Ravens ain't exactly slouches, and I personally think that there is some bias at play here.

I'd love it if he blows up on my bench but I kinda think he's not going to do much today.

Feels like a game he kinda gives something back for that high draft value. Still takes some strength to put in lineup, but I got a good feeling about today. Not heavy usage, but dudes gonna make 3 big plays of 20 plus yards today.

Feels like a game he kinda gives something back for that high draft value. Still takes some strength to put in lineup, but I got a good feeling about today. Not heavy usage, but dudes gonna make 3 big plays of 20 plus yards today.
I hope you’re right … I am considering starting him

I have to chose 2 between

Zay Flowers vs Det
Jahmyr Gibbs vs Bal
Jonathan Taylor vs Cle

Leaving towards sitting out Taylor because Cleveland is legit

Last edited:
I'm sure Gibbs can have a great day but I'm not trusting him in my lineups where I have other options.

FBGs has him ranked a fair amount ahead of Jonathan Taylor but I'm playing JT ahead of him, even though JT's matchup is super dicey.

I guess whatever goodwill I had for Gibbs was erased by his early season lack of production. Now he's coming off injury, the Ravens ain't exactly slouches, and I personally think that there is some bias at play here.

I'd love it if he blows up on my bench but I kinda think he's not going to do much today.
I’d be very surprised(and concerned) if he faceplants today, barring an injury or hamstring setback of course.

“And that’s the third touchdown today for the Lions third-string running back!” as the Fox camera pans to Gibbs standing on the sideline.

I’m not buying it.

I have a similarly good feeling about Gibbs possibly doing well in this game and having some explosive plays.

That said he needs to keep his feet under him and avoid these past mistakes in this game. Something I am sure we will all be watching out for.

I also wonder if the Ravens will spy him in this game the way the Packers did. Roquan Smith and Kyle Hamilton do seem like players who may be up to this task and could be used in tandem depending on the defensive call to prevent this from happening.

I also wonder if the Ravens will spy him in this game the way the Packers did. Roquan Smith and Kyle Hamilton do seem like players who may be up to this task and could be used in tandem depending on the defensive call to prevent this from happening.
A lot of people are wondering this and I'm sure Ben Johnson has some plays prepared just for that scenario.

A lot of people are wondering this and I'm sure Ben Johnson has some plays prepared just for that scenario.
Yes it does create a situation where defenders can be caught out of position that leads to big plays with designs to counter that.

If the Lions can make them pay for this (if the Ravens do it) then they might be able to get the Ravens to abandon such a plan after this and play more honest with their defense, which then would open up plays for Gibbs more.

It will be interesting to see this game within the game and how that plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread