What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this the weirdest stat in sports history? (1 Viewer)

Bonus stat: I regularly play golf with the punter who owns the second longest punt in NFL history of 93 yards (he's the pro at my club).
i golf with a guy who owns the record for throwing his club after a shot and getting it stuck in a tree about 40 feet off of the ground so put that in your pipe and smoke it take that to the bank bromigo

If Wayne Gretzky never scored a goal, he'd still be the all-time points leader in the NHL.
I don't think I knew that.... I know it was ridiculous but I didn't know at that level
1,963 assists alone. The number two in points all time is Jaromir Jagr at 1,921.
I knew this stat and I'd argue is just incredibly impressive versus "weird."

Weird ones I'd nominate:
1. Brett Favre's first NFL completion was to himself.
2. A perfect inning (9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 outs) has only happened 46 times. Oddly, there have more times (60) that a team struck out four times in the same inning.
3. Greg Maddux only saw a presumably unintentional 3-0 count like less than 150 times despite facing thousands of batters. He saw an intentional 3-0 count (if not obvious, due to intentional walk rules back then) more times.
4. And this one I just found thanks to google: from a complete stop a human such as Usain Bolt can outrun a driven formula 1 racecar for 30 feet.

Bonus stat: I regularly play golf with the punter who owns the second longest punt in NFL history of 93 yards (he's the pro at my club).
i golf with a guy who owns the record for throwing his club after a shot and getting it stuck in a tree about 40 feet off of the ground so put that in your pipe and smoke it take that to the bank bromigo
Yeah, well, I'm the only guy to take his skate off and try to stab somebody in a sanctioned hockey game.

I also knew a guy that slept with Veronica Vaughn.

If you took away Hank Aaron's 755 career home runs, he would still have over 3000 hits, and still rank in the top 30 all time in hits.
Great stat that demonstrates how awesome Aaron was but, again, more "impressive" than "weird."

If Wayne Gretzky never scored a goal, he'd still be the all-time points leader in the NHL.
I don't think I knew that.... I know it was ridiculous but I didn't know at that level
1,963 assists alone. The number two in points all time is Jaromir Jagr at 1,921.

Weird ones I'd nominate:
2. A perfect inning (9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 outs) has only happened 46 times. Oddly, there have more times (60) that a team struck out four times in the same inning.
3. Greg Maddux only saw a presumably unintentional 3-0 count like less than 150 times despite facing thousands of batters. He saw an intentional 3-0 count (if not obvious, due to intentional walk rules back then) more times.
4. And this one I just found thanks to google: from a complete stop a human such as Usain Bolt can outrun a driven formula 1 racecar for 30 feet.
bert who take that to the bank brochacho

There are a few of these but examples of Simpson's Paradox always blow my mind:

In the 1995 season, David Justice had a higher batting average than Derek Jeter.
In the 1996 season, David Justice had a higher batting average than Derek Jeter.

However, Derek Jeter had a higher batting average over the 1995-1996 seasons combined.

I forget how many it was but Cecil and Prince Fielder (father and son MLB players) both hit the exact same # of homers in their careers.
Edit: I googled it, they each hit 319 dingers.

And also Stan Musial finished his career with 1815 career hits on the road, and 1815 career hits at home.

Weird ones I'd nominate:
2. Also called an immaculate inning, but happened 114 times

In the 1995 season, David Justice had a higher batting average than Derek Jeter.
In the 1996 season, David Justice had a higher batting average than Derek Jeter.

However, Derek Jeter had a higher batting average over the 1995-1996 seasons combined.
Never heard this and I'm trying to quickly understand how this is possible.

ETA: Just googled it. Seems like to my not so great at math brain that it has to do with the number of opportunities. Jeter likely had much more in a particular season with Justice having very few.

I know it has to be some sort of weighting thing, but I'm still struggling to figure out how this is possible.

I know it has to be some sort of weighting thing, but I'm still struggling to figure out how this is possible.

It was messing with my head as well, but basically the idea is both of their averages were low in a season where Jeter had few at bats and Justice had a lot, and both of their averages were high in a season where Jeter had a lot of at bats and Justice had a few.

So for a an extreme example where Player 2 has a higher batting average in each season but a lower average overall...

Year 1, Player 1: 1/10 = .100 batting average
Year 1, Player 2: 150/1000 = .150 batting average

Year 2, Player 1: 800/1000 = .800 batting average
Year 2, Player 2: 9/10 = .900 batting average

Total, Player 1: 801/1010 = .793 batting average
Total, Player 2: 159/1010 = .157 batting average

In the case of Jeter/Justice, Jeter was 12/48 and 183/582 in the two seasons, and Justice was 104/411 and 45/140 in the two seasons.

Even though Justice was higher in both seasons, Jeter's total was actually not just a little bit higher, but quite a bit (.310 vs. .270).

Yeah Simpson's Paradox is really quite weird and to our brains it seems like it shouldn't be possible.

Umpires once sat in padded rocking chairs.

They would sit on these chairs behind the catcher. However, this was later removed in 1859.

Babe Ruth had a habit of placing cabbage in his cap.

During a game, he would place a cabbage leaf under his cap to keep him cool under the sun. He would change this leaf with a fresh one every two innings. Many people believe that this could be his trade secret to being one of the best players in baseball history.

Weird ones I'd nominate:
I struck out 5 batters in one inning in high school.
Dang catcher couldn't corral the curve.

One that comes to mind is Orel Hershiser's 59 consecutive scoreless innings in 1988. Six and a half games. The closest anyone has gotten since is 45.

--

The other they showed during the Saints Bears game. Matt Ryan has started the 6th most games as a starting NFL QB in the Superdome.

And it is even more incredible is when you look at the games played.

Gretzky has significantly less games (~250) played than each of the next top 4 players.

Last edited:
Bret Saberhagen had an “odd” start to his career.

SeasonW-LERA
198410-113.48
198520-62.87
19867-124.15
198718-103.36
198814-163.80
198923-62.16
19905-93.27
199113-83.07
19923-53.50
19937-73.29

Users who are viewing this thread