What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (1 Viewer)

Brutal injury, hate to see it. Such a great pure runner and it's impossible to imagine he ever comes back the same after something like that.

I don't really know how this works but from a practical football standpoint, does he go on IR today? In one of my leauges we can only put someone on our fantasy IR if the player is on the real IR - meaning if he doesn't get that designation today, his owner would need to drop him outright to pick up another RB when waivers run overnight, which is a situation we'd prefer to avoid.

I don't really know how this works but from a practical football standpoint, does he go on IR today? In one of my leauges we can only put someone on our fantasy IR if the player is on the real IR - meaning if he doesn't get that designation today, his owner would need to drop him outright to pick up another RB when waivers run overnight, which is a situation we'd prefer to avoid.
I would think the Browns would want to go ahead and IR him to clear the roster spot so they can make a corresponding move. But then again, Diontae got hurt last week and it was announced within ~24 hours that he was going to miss at least 4 weeks, and Pitt waited until right before yesterday's game to designate him for IR so who the heck knows why and when these teams do these things...

Brutal injury, hate to see it. Such a great pure runner and it's impossible to imagine he ever comes back the same after something like that.

From a (redraft) fantasy standpoint this seems moot

I wonder what are they waiting for? A second opinion? From who, Oscar Goldman?

It's not a redraft league, hence the question.

More generally just curious if there's any reason the Browns wouldn't immediately put him on IR; sounds like there's no standard timetable so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

More generally just curious if there's any reason the Browns wouldn't immediately put him on IR; sounds like there's no standard timetable so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Could always have a mutually agreed work around in the league. We know he will go on IR at some point; so maybe just have him drop him to make waiver pickups, and use commish powers to add him back to the roster to go on IR once the tag officially hits.

Fair enough, I assumed it was a dynasty question, I can't see why they wouldn't put Chubb on IR immediately, but from a fantasy perspective a lot of places will allow you to put players designated out on IR, which I assume Chubb to be right now, your mileage may vary

I don't think Minkah was trying to injure Chubb. The NFL efforts to reduce helmet to helmet to contact is forcing the defenders to go low. This just seems like a freak accident.
Exactly. Players have been saying for years that the emphasis on avoiding hits to the head will lead to more leg injuries.

Nothing dirty about that hit.
i agree as well. it looks dirty cause of what happened but everything moves so fast out there and chubb is one of the strongest rbs in the league so you have to do what you can to take him down. to me it's just a freak accident. mikah's hit combined with chubb planting his foot at the moment of impact just created the worst case scenario for the leg to be caught. if the hit was just a little bit later or earlier it may not have happened and no one would think anything of it. just a horrible timing thing
It was definitely no Kimo von Oelhoffen

I’m just glad he didn’t need emergency surgery. Hit like that and you worry about the leg itself.

That's all I've thought about with respect to this injury as soon as it happened and people were united in how gruesome it was (I haven't seen the hit and was watching the Panthers game at the time of it happening). I thought of Alex Smith's infection and Teddy Bridgewater's situation, who almost lost his leg from the knee down.

I’m just glad he didn’t need emergency surgery. Hit like that and you worry about the leg itself.

That's all I've thought about with respect to this injury as soon as it happened and people were united in how gruesome it was (I haven't seen the hit and was watching the Panthers game at the time of it happening). I thought of Alex Smith's infection and Teddy Bridgewater's situation, who almost lost his leg from the knee down.
Zach Miller also almost lost his leg.

It reminded me of Willis Mcghaee vs. Ohio State in the 2002 National Championship game.
Yeah.....close.

Catastrophic knee injury. Feel terrible for the guy.
Yeah, I'm not sure he can comeback from this.

He's already 28. That's like 50 in RB years.
Actually, 28 y/o at the end of December. But I agree 100% with your point. I expect Chubb to work like hell to come back and play, if that's even possible with how messed up his knee must be.

How? That's like jumping on a grenade and sustaining some burns.
How did he possibly not destroy everything in his knee area???

Feels miraculous.

The day after he got hurt, I took a flier on him in dynasty. Gave Michael Mayer and Deuce Vaughn (TE Prem) hoping he has an amazing recovery. Expected it to be 15+ months if ever. Feeling very lucky right now. If he’s really back by week 1 next season I’ll be thanking my lucky stars.

People on twitter were giving Chubb away for 2025 3rds and stuff to get anything. Seemed very stupid to me and sent me on an offer spree. But this outcome is not what I expected at all.

Wow, is this ever great news. Been running around so I missed the updates. This is wonderful for Chubb and his dynasty GMs. Long may they prosper. (I'm not one, but you know, why not?)

Oh, some of you were mistaken and thought that Chubb was human...

In all seriousness, I thought that his utter dumptruck build might have softened that blow to where he wouldn't lose the leg. Most of us would. That he's that much of an outlier is surprising, though.

You know who else is superhuman but has sadly slowed down? Zeke. Zeke took a hit like that last year and merely slowed down. It was insane that he could even stand afterwards, never mind that he only missed a few games. It was dead on his knee and bent it almost backwards. My word, these guys are something else.

Pay 'em their money, GMs.

Hope his recovery goes well but Doc Chao does not seem to be buying it's just the MCL and even Rapaport tweeted something about "even if he does need an ACL repair".

Maybe this was his agent getting ahead of things with Chubb due $16M next year?

I'm not an orthopedic expert but I don't think MCL tears take 6-8 months to heal. Might depend on the grade though. Seems virtually impossible that's the only injury he suffered but if so, great news.

Hope his recovery goes well but Doc Chao does not seem to be buying it's just the MCL and even Rapaport tweeted something about "even if he does need an ACL repair".

Maybe this was his agent getting ahead of things with Chubb due $16M next year?

The quote was that the MCL is the only full tear. Meaning the ACL was damaged but may or may not need to be surgically repaired alongside the MCL.

Either way, a much much better prognosis than what people were expecting. That’s normal 1-year rehab + some time to get comfortable (and we already know he’s a freak). As opposed to 15+ months to maybe never, will he walk again, did he also tear his Patellar and bust his leg and tear open his arteries that people were afraid of. People thought he suffered the full Lattimore last weekend. In comparison this is a miracle even if it IS his MCL + ACL needing repair.

Not sure why they tried so hard to spread the 6-8 month recovery story on us?

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
·
59s

Key passage from #Browns on Nick Chubb: “As expected, a second surgery will be scheduled to repair his anterior cruciate ligament in the coming months. Estimated recovery time from the surgeries indicate that Nick would be able to return to play at some point in the 2024 season.

What are everyone's expectations for Chubb in fantasy moving forward? Do you think he will return and produce for a few more seasons?

Not sure why they tried so hard to spread the 6-8 month recovery story on us?

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
59s

Key passage from #Browns on Nick Chubb: “As expected, a second surgery will be scheduled to repair his anterior cruciate ligament in the coming months. Estimated recovery time from the surgeries indicate that Nick would be able to return to play at some point in the 2024 season.
Had to figure 6-8 months was a little too optimistic given how gruesome the injury looked. 😕

The Browns announced Nick Chubb (knee) underwent a second surgery to repair his torn ACL and is on track to return in 2024.

It was initially reported Chubb tore only his MCL in Week 2’s loss to the Steelers. However, it was later announced Chubb also tore his ACL and would need a second surgery. Having now had that second surgery, Chubb is officially on the road back, with Dr. James Voos saying he has progressed well from his first surgery. We don’t yet know how early Chubb could return, but according to the team, the “estimated recovery time from these surgeries indicates that Nick would be able to return to play during the 2024 season.”

So not ready for the start of the season...going to make for some tough decisions.
Likely not back to mid-year, at the earliest.
Likely on a pitch count and eased in over time. You’ll have to wait until 2025 for any potential return to form, and that’s iffy.

I’d hold, only because he’s an an absolute low in trade value right now.

Users who are viewing this thread