What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I believe the economy may be really bad right now. (2 Viewers)

We (5 of us) went out to eat last night at an Indian restaurant. After taxes and tip it was a $100 bill and that included a kids meal. We probably won't go out to eat again for several months. It is just impractical.
$100 for five people (including tip) is very cheap.
It wasn’t considered cheap 5 years ago. At least not for the majority of this country.
Gotta disagree here. A sit-down meal for $20 per person has been pretty reasonable for a while, especially if it includes tax and tip. I get that you had a kids meal stuck in there, but that still works out to like $15 per entree. Clearly a step up from Qdoba, but cheaper than a bottom-feeder chain like Applebee's. (Full disclosure: my wife and I almost never go out, partly because she's a picky eater, but mainly because we both feel like it's a bad value. I sympathize with your price-sensitivity.)
I’ll be more succinct: a whole lot of people can’t afford to drop $100 for a meal very often.

The country is massively unequal right now economically. And it has been getting worse for a long time. So is $100 for a meal affordable? Yeah, for about 30% of the country. This is what my friends and family “back home” tell me about the economy. My friends in suburban Chicago would think $100 for a meal is a steal.
I’m across the lake from you. I get a lot of Chicagoans questioning their bar bill because they are used to paying $15-20 for a Tito’s martini in the city, while we are $12.

In the long run, I'm not sure it's a bad thing that paying for people to provide a nice location to eat, cook for you, and serve you is expensive.
Economies of scale have made it a decent fiscal alternative over the past few decades. It's why most people don't garden or raise their own livestock anymore. Efficiency is often found in volume and repetition and restaurants are no exception.

I spend like crazy because my bills go up - namely groceries, utilities, and insurance. I’m at the point where two jobs is barely coving it.

Between my wife and I were probably in the top 10% but with two kids in college things are pretty tight. I’ve been trying to get a job at UPS for a night shift. I’m extremely overqualified but It’s been impossible so far.

I’m going though a nightmare with our water company with high water bills. Our last quarter bill was almost $800. They sent out the crew to check my house for leaks and told me I had none and replaced the water meter. The following day they tell me that they discovered an underground leak and I instructed me that I needed to get a plumber to dig up my front yard to check my Water main. I did that and they didn’t find a leak. :rant:

I’m going to get my money back because I have it all in writing and take meticulous notes but it’s still money out of my pocket a week and a half before Christmas.

I know somebody on the inside, and they told me that they’re getting ready to jack up the rates for water another 8% soon.

ETA - Were fine, we have plenty of savings, all bills get paid and we’re not behind- but there just isn’t as much disposable income right now.

I can’t imagine how rough it must be for others. If this was happening 10 years ago things would be a lot different.
****ty story Steady, sorry to hear it.

We’re not in too different a position. I don’t have 2 kids in college (have an 8yr old) but I make what the vast majority would say is a great living yet disposable income feels like a mythical creature. The idea of spending money on a nice family vacation is laughable.
And the utilities thing is very real. I live in SoCal yet had a $350 gas bill last month, all because we had the audacity to heat our home to 68 in the morning (after turning it down to 65 at night). We also got a notice from Gas company that we should sign up for notifications of future rate increases. In other words they plan multiple increase coming. Unreal.

*and for clarity, like you, I’m not saying this as a “poor me” statement, it’s in the vain of I’m in awe of how people who aren’t as lucky as myself are doing it.
I too live in SoCal. I almost never run my heat or air. The weather is perfect 340 days a year.

In the long run, I'm not sure it's a bad thing that paying for people to provide a nice location to eat, cook for you, and serve you is expensive.
Economies of scale have made it a decent fiscal alternative over the past few decades. It's why most people don't garden or raise their own livestock anymore. Efficiency is often found in volume and repetition and restaurants are no exception.
Restaurants are certainly not about efficiency in feeding people. (Possibly with the exception of some cheap fast food places.)

Restaurants are certainly not about efficiency in feeding people. (Possibly with the exception of some cheap fast food places.)
I get what you are saying, but it is what happens.

A September Bankrate article that I just leafed through is timely.

Wage growth is trailing infilation by 3% or so since the start of 2021. However, wage growth has been outpacing inflation since early in 2023, and is currently on pace to catch up fully by late next year. Better times are ahead for all of us, hopefully! Moderating gas prices, stronger purchasing power, and an improving national mood would make 2024 a good year.

A September Bankrate article that I just leafed through is timely.

Wage growth is trailing infilation by 3% or so since the start of 2021. However, wage growth has been outpacing inflation since early in 2023, and is currently on pace to catch up fully by late next year. Better times are ahead for all of us, hopefully! Moderating gas prices, stronger purchasing power, and an improving national mood would make 2024 a good year.

You cherry picked the most optimistic part of that article.

People are hurting - “ hoping “ things “might” get better by the end of next year is not comforting.

We (5 of us) went out to eat last night at an Indian restaurant. After taxes and tip it was a $100 bill and that included a kids meal. We probably won't go out to eat again for several months. It is just impractical.
You think that’s high?
Depending on the Drinks, that’s pretty reasonable.

I was thinking the same earlier this morning but everyone’s experience/situation is relative.

The vast majority of Americans don't have such a rosy perception. People care more about their personal situation more than the "macro data."

New CBS News polling shows many Americans believe their standard of living is worse than their parents. The poll found people are feeling deep impacts of inflation, despite strong economic data and speculation surrounding a so-called "soft landing" for the economy.

Income isn't keeping up with inflation, 76% of Americans say in new CBS poll

The vast majority of Americans don't have such a rosy perception. People care more about their personal situation more than the "macro data."

New CBS News polling shows many Americans believe their standard of living is worse than their parents. The poll found people are feeling deep impacts of inflation, despite strong economic data and speculation surrounding a so-called "soft landing" for the economy.

could be true or maybe it isn't but most polls are garbage, usually gamed with an agenda.

You think that’s high?

I was thinking the same earlier this morning but everyone’s experience/situation is relative.
For sure. Growing up, we would go out to eat a couple times a year. I know people who go out to dine 5 times a week.

what's funny is income has been higher than inflation since beginning of 2023 as posted above, so really what this is saying is that 76% of Americans don't know what they're talking about

what's funny is income has been higher than inflation since beginning of 2023 as posted above, so really what this is saying is that 76% of Americans don't know what they're talking about
Perhaps instead of trashing ordinary Americans you should spend more time actually reading the articles you reference.

Nonetheless, a gap between household buying power and inflation remains.

As of the second quarter of 2023, prices are up 15.8 percent since the beginning of 2021, while wages have climbed 12.8 percent

At its current pace, workers’ wages aren’t set to recover their loss of total purchasing power until at some point in the fourth quarter of 2024

Perhaps instead of trashing ordinary Americans you should spend more time actually reading the articles you reference.

As of the second quarter of 2023, prices are up 15.8 percent since the beginning of 2021, while wages have climbed 12.8 percent

At its current pace, workers’ wages aren’t set to recover their loss of total purchasing power until at some point in the fourth quarter of 2024
I'm not trashing ordinary Americans, the poll just said Americans.

Yep. We are getting there. Just hang on, friends. A lag in wage recovery was predictable. I feel for everyone who is hurting.

Frankly, I was surprised that wages are only 3% behind, given that nasty bout of inflation and all the media hype. These numbers good?

You think that’s high?
When I first read the post I thought it was pointing out what a good bargain the indian place was. 100 bucks all included for 5 is a hell of a good price

I spend like crazy because my bills go up - namely groceries, utilities, and insurance. I’m at the point where two jobs is barely coving it.

Between my wife and I were probably in the top 10% but with two kids in college things are pretty tight. I’ve been trying to get a job at UPS for a night shift. I’m extremely overqualified but It’s been impossible so far.

I’m going though a nightmare with our water company with high water bills. Our last quarter bill was almost $800. They sent out the crew to check my house for leaks and told me I had none and replaced the water meter. The following day they tell me that they discovered an underground leak and I instructed me that I needed to get a plumber to dig up my front yard to check my Water main. I did that and they didn’t find a leak. :rant:

I’m going to get my money back because I have it all in writing and take meticulous notes but it’s still money out of my pocket a week and a half before Christmas.

I know somebody on the inside, and they told me that they’re getting ready to jack up the rates for water another 8% soon.

ETA - Were fine, we have plenty of savings, all bills get paid and we’re not behind- but there just isn’t as much disposable income right now.

I can’t imagine how rough it must be for others. If this was happening 10 years ago things would be a lot different.
****ty story Steady, sorry to hear it.

We’re not in too different a position. I don’t have 2 kids in college (have an 8yr old) but I make what the vast majority would say is a great living yet disposable income feels like a mythical creature. The idea of spending money on a nice family vacation is laughable.
And the utilities thing is very real. I live in SoCal yet had a $350 gas bill last month, all because we had the audacity to heat our home to 68 in the morning (after turning it down to 65 at night). We also got a notice from Gas company that we should sign up for notifications of future rate increases. In other words they plan multiple increase coming. Unreal.

*and for clarity, like you, I’m not saying this as a “poor me” statement, it’s in the vain of I’m in awe of how people who aren’t as lucky as myself are doing it.
I too live in SoCal. I almost never run my heat or air. The weather is perfect 340 days a year.
You’re on the coast. I’m not. Gets into the 30’s here at night, low 40’s regularly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It really isn't for a lot of families. That's kind of the point.
I can respect that, but you don't have to go out to eat, can also go to a cheaper restaurant, should also look at the menu ahead of time if you're concerned about cost. I don't really have too much sympathy for someone who goes to a restaurant and gets the bill and then complains about it.

we did all that.

thanks for the sympathy.

You think that’s high?

i think that price is more than most families can afford, so yes.

and i know we didn't go to an expensive restaurant.

You think that’s high?
we all had water
For families, there are more and more that $100 is a luxury. I don’t know how people continually go to Pro sporting events.

If you’re going to a full service place you’re right. Personally, we do our best to find good food where 7 of us can eat for under $100. Usually that means “healthy” fast food, or the healthiest we can find anyway. Places like Cava, SalsaRita’s, Slim chickens, chicken salad chicks, etc. But less than once a month. Not the best food by any means. Most of the time we’d rather just eat at home.

can also go to a cheaper restaurant
Is this possible? Less than 20 bucks a head?

This has nothing to do with the national economy, at any rate

Possible, but you’re not doing full service unless you refuse to tip, in which case you shouldn’t go to those restaurants.

In NYC this weekend. Everywhere is jammed and people are spending money like water. Economy sucks.
In Bethesda (MD 'burbs) running errands Saturday afternoon. Wildwood strip mall was a nightmare, and Montgomery Mall reminded me of the fall of Saigon based on what I saw of the mall entrance passing by.

Mom lives near Winston-Salem. Says Hanes Mall Blvd is not for the faint of heart. To be fair, it never is.

You think that’s high?
we all had water
For families, there are more and more that $100 is a luxury. I don’t know how people continually go to Pro sporting events.
Or skiing. Was shocked at the cost. Northeast, $130 a ticket on the weekend. if you need rentals forget about it, you’re looking at near a grand for a family of 5 for a single day.

I don’t know how people continually go to Pro sporting events.
Bought passes for Busch Gardens a couple months ago after not having gone for years. Individual tickets sans discounts are near $100 each. Then there's parking, food, etc. That's an awful lot for a family of 4 yet the place is always packed.

You think that’s high?

For sure. Growing up, we would go out to eat a couple times a year. I know people who go out to dine 5 times a week.
My parents took me out for dinner about a half dozen times per year until I was a teenager. They were more financially secure then — so we started to dine out maybe once a month. (Note: we also never flew in a plane — didn’t do that until age 19 with my then GF, now wife)

It makes me both happy (for them) and slightly nauseous how pampered my kids are now.

In NYC this weekend. Everywhere is jammed and people are spending money like water. Economy sucks.
In Bethesda (MD 'burbs) running errands Saturday afternoon. Wildwood strip mall was a nightmare, and Montgomery Mall reminded me of the fall of Saigon based on what I saw of the mall entrance passing by.

Mom lives near Winston-Salem. Says Hanes Mall Blvd is not for the faint of heart. To be fair, it never is.

Bethesda, Maryland, a top 20 richest county in the nation. (Used to be too 5)

Are you guys really that out of touch?

FWIW, Walmart in Alabama was busy too.

The place where they sell cheap stuff to poor people was busy?

Nobody should be shopping at Walmart but that’s a different thread.

so evidence of rich people buying things doesn't mean anything and evidence of what you say are poor people buying things doesn't mean anything. i guess someone will have to say they were at a packed Olive Garden to convince you.

My wife and I
You think that’s high?
we all had water

Saturday we did not have plans so I went online to see how much Lion tickets were. Cheapest I found was 200.00 a ticket for "Standing Room Only" Most seats were going from 300-750 a ticket. That was not counting fees, parking, and whatever you spend at game.

Somehow Taylor Swift tickets sell out at $1,000 each and the Stones can charge $500 for upper deck seats at Giants Stadium and sell out - all the restaurants here are still packed, despite it being the offseason at the beach...everyone on Facebook is traveling in the Bahamas or Europe....

I think people love to complain about eggs costing $4.50 instead of $3.05 - while they spend money like water on non-essentials.

I guess we’re poor.
Somehow I’m okay with others thinking that.

I think people love to complain about eggs costing $4.50 instead of $3.05 - while they spend money like water on non-essentials
I don’t think these are the same people. Well, there’s a distinction to be made between “complaining” and “truly being affected”. High-dollar concerts are not the province of the price-sensitive.

so evidence of rich people buying things doesn't mean anything and evidence of what you say are poor people buying things doesn't mean anything. i guess someone will have to say they were at a packed Olive Garden to convince you.

I knew I would get this lazy response.

It’s OK, we’re not gonna change each other’s minds.

I think people love to complain about eggs costing $4.50 instead of $3.05 - while they spend money like water on non-essentials
I don’t think these are the same people. Well, there’s a distinction to be made between “complaining” and “truly being affected”. High-dollar concerts are not the province of the price-sensitive.
Oh, trust me it's a lot of the same people.

I guess we’re poor.
Somehow I’m okay with others thinking that.

That’s what I was saying. I was just suggesting that a store which buys in mass bulk and sells items for cheap to corner the markets being busy is not exactly the best place to gauge the economy’s overall health.

I knew I would get this lazy response.

It’s OK, we’re not gonna change each other’s minds.
who's the person being lazy here?

I feel the shifting of priorities amongst people is often overlooked regarding spending habits.

Millennials and GenZ will complain to anyone who will listen that buying a home is simply out of reach for them. But, compare them to someone in the 70's - perhaps most of the 90's and you'll find a person who spends like crazy on daily comforts compared to their elders.

Nobody used to spend $200 month at Starbucks, another $500 month on DoorDash, drop $250 on a concert once a month. The reason many are able to do this is they are willing to live with Mom & Dad into their 30's. 'In my day' we still wanted to get out on our own as fast as possible. Just doesn't seem to be a priority for many young people anymore. Maybe the return of the multi-generational household is coming back? That might not be all bad.

The narrative is strong!

Anticipating zip code shaming, I chose to also mention Winston-Salem, which is a typical American mid-sized burg. Guess you didn't read that far. My absolutely reliable and utterly definitive mall-as-an-economic-proxy report indicates that consumers are crushing it down there too. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread