What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIFWIW...Noles have worked everything out being debated here, but there are a few hurdles still being worked thru (like which 2nd school follows) and the CFP chaos delayed things.
I've read it's UNC or Miami. UNC has the B1G and FOX approval already, but not sure on the $$$. Whereas Miami has the $$$, but I'm not sure they have full approval yet?
Yep those are the 2 candidates I believe...

TIFWIW...Noles have worked everything out being debated here, but there are a few hurdles still being worked thru (like which 2nd school follows) and the CFP chaos delayed things.
This is what my big money guy says. Big invite is there, fsu is taking it, gotta work some stuff out. He says it is UNC. Not interested in Clemson at all which is surprising to me.

Last edited:
This is what my big money guy says. Big invite is there, fsu is taking it, gotta work some stuff out. He says he’s UNC. Not interested in Clemson at all which is surprising to me.
I get it....there is plenty of football power in the B1G at this point. UNC helps with basketball for sure, plus the TV audience across all sports is larger with UNC than Clemson, so they can charge more in their next TV deal. Really don't know why they are considering Miami though. Seems UNC is the play.

This is what my big money guy says. Big invite is there, fsu is taking it, gotta work some stuff out. He says he’s UNC. Not interested in Clemson at all which is surprising to me.
I get it....there is plenty of football power in the B1G at this point. UNC helps with basketball for sure, plus the TV audience across all sports is larger with UNC than Clemson, so they can charge more in their next TV deal. Really don't know why they are considering Miami though. Seems UNC is the play.

This is not about basketball. Clemson > UNC in football.

And it's impossible to leave the ACC. We "know."

Of course they are, but Clemson <= Top teams already in the B1G moving forward. They don't add anything meaningful to the B1G for football moving forward. And with the B1G, it's rarely ever just one dimension. Of course, Nebraska is the puzzling exception. Still don't know why they took Nebraska.

North Central and Cortland are scoreless 2:30 before halftime. There were people on the D3football site saying NCC was gonna hang 70 on Cortland. I want what they’re smoking.

I'm going to just stop responding on this. I could definitely be wrong, I am not an attorney. But I think most of you are making a lot of assumptions that may not prove out.
You can be right and wrong at the same time.

Your GoR arguments are legally correct. However, teams continue to leave conferences and break contracts. It happens and will continue to happen.
I mean let's be honest. There simply isn't room for many more teams in the power two. Could add at most 1 more. And not easily

I'm going to just stop responding on this. I could definitely be wrong, I am not an attorney. But I think most of you are making a lot of assumptions that may not prove out.
You can be right and wrong at the same time.

Your GoR arguments are legally correct. However, teams continue to leave conferences and break contracts. It happens and will continue to happen.
I mean let's be honest. There simply isn't room for many more teams in the power two. Could add at most 1 more. And not easily

The two 64-team conference solution. https://twitter.com/i/status/1736095626310406501

Harding in the process of boat racing CSM. They lead 28-7 after the Harding RB almost went brain dead by dropping the ball around the goal line.

1st and only (?) Famous Toastery Bowl delivered. Old Dominion went up 28-0 and still lost in overtime. Western Kentucky players celebrated by throwing toast in the air.
Until yesterday I had no idea what a Famous Toastery was. Guess their money was well spent in getting the word out to the couple of thousand who watched that game. 🤣

ODU had a lot of luck jumping out to that lead but I'm kinda surprised they were unable to hold off WKU. Once they made the QB change they went on a roll.

1st and only (?) Famous Toastery Bowl delivered. Old Dominion went up 28-0 and still lost in overtime. Western Kentucky players celebrated by throwing toast in the air.
Until yesterday I had no idea what a Famous Toastery was. Guess their money was well spent in getting the word out to the couple of thousand who watched that game. 🤣

ODU had a lot of luck jumping out to that lead but I'm kinda surprised they were unable to hold off WKU. Once they made the QB change they went on a roll.
Can't imagine it was much money to sponsor. The whole thing was pretty thrown together, but the Charlotte stadium is nice. A little horseshoe stadium right on campus. Famous Toastery is a notch or two above Denny's I guess. There is one across from my office that I've never been impressed by. Apparently they tried to expand into another state that already had a brunch chain called "Toast" so they went with this stupid name.

Clay Helton's son looked lost out there to start the game for WKU. The QB that came in is hitting the portal, bet he is glad to put some of that on tape. He locked into Dalvin Smith down the stretch who looked like a man among boys. Felt like ODU should have spent more time running the ball, particularly with their QB.

Last edited:
I wanted to take the Chip Kelly presser and do an entire thread on the NCAA's need for a Commissioner but I also want to do right by this thread which encompasses a lot

Lot of sports shows have played his words over the last couple days and I think he makes a lot of sense as we learn the kind of money needed to grab a quality QB in the portal
Matt Rhule was blunt at his presser and what he tells the administration at Nebraska...blank check basically
When will we see the first $5M a year college QB?
We already see guys that realize they can leave high school and sign anywhere they can play immediately and get paid a lot of money
That is what college football has become, it just isn't presented like that most of the time on TV

Why would an 18 year old sign with a top school like Texas and sit for 2-3 years when they can go to Syracuse and start right away, AND get PAID
I'm waiting to see Miami just pony up and get a big name at QB since Van Dyke fell apart under Cristobal's watch and transferred to Wisconsin, good for him
I am a casual college football fan, mostly just watch Miami when they are worth watching. I'm likely missing out but when you get married its usually either Sat or Sun and I choose to have my Sundays in the Fall with the NFL. I think a lot of folks are like me and don't understand all the ways players are making money right now.

-Is anyone actually tracking the portal...how can you with so many players?
I want to buy a college football team, that's got to be in the cards for rich/wealthy people that cannot get an professional franchise, go buy a college team like Nike did.
The Miami Hurricanes presented by Amazon works for me. We have a guy named John Ruiz that has done well with the Basketball but we need a better football guy.

What would it take to buy a college football program right now or sponsor one with so much money they all but have to listen to you or else you pull back the money?
Quarterbacks are getting paid more money in the NCAA than Purdy and others right now. Maybe an NFL QB with college eligibility left behind can figure a way to go
BACK to SCHOOL

They need a Commissioner and they need to get their act together quickly or things are going to end up going badly.
NCAA Football should be its own thing, I agree with Chip that ladies softball at UCLA should be playing other Pac-10/Pac-12 schools, this should not be something where all sports have to be sucked into the 5 power conferences or 64 teams the NCC is ultimately wanting.

What are your alls thoughts on some of this?
I'm old school, still think they should just have the 2 best teams when the polls close in early Dec just duke it out on New Years Day and be done with it but those days are history
Miami won 5 Titles that way, it worked fine but I understand the enthusiasm and TV revenue from a College Football Playoff

I'm old school, still think they should just have the 2 best teams when the polls close in early Dec just duke it out on New Years Day and be done with it but those days are history
Miami won 5 Titles that way, it worked fine but I understand the enthusiasm and TV revenue from a College Football Playoff
No, if one were truly "old school", you would return to the pre-BCS era of bowl commitments and praying that voters don't give us a split national championship.

Follow your instincts and do right by this thread by moving this to it's own :thumbup:
"Should Brock Purdy return to college and double his NFL salary?"
-Do you think I should launch it in the Shark Pool where I belong?

"When are we going to have an NCAA Commissioner?"
I'd like to nominate Chip Kelly, I don't care what he did post-Oregon, he clearly has a brilliant and and has thought long and hard about all this.

NSD has lost all its momentum with the transfer portal nowadays. Some of the singers today won’t play and transfer next year. Some will play and still transfer. Kinda stinks that the aura of NSD has lost mojo too.

Michigan dropped from 11 to 19 in the 24x7 recruiting rankings today. That's a pretty big drop in 1 day. Maybe the kids think Harbaugh is leaving.
This is the range where a good many of their classes usually are. I haven't paid close attention, but they only count the players that actually sign right?

ETA: Looking through their list, I don't see anyone glaring that is missing though. I think I saw a few portal target misses, but those aren't part of this are they?
ETA2: Looks like some of them aren't rating as high as they were earlier in the year. That might be part of it too....not sure.

Last edited:

That NIL number seems misleading. It looks like it is an average for kids that do get an deal
Yea I'm not sure how complete the data is...but here's how the calculate it:

That NIL number seems misleading. It looks like it is an average for kids that do get an deal
Yea I'm not sure how complete the data is...but here's how the calculate it:
Ah so it's AI guessing at it. Even better.

FSU board meeting tomorrow to discuss challenging ACC GOR. FSU really going to spend a billion dollars on legal fees, exit fees, and lost television money over the next 12 years? The B1G isn't even paying the west coast schools a full share. How much are they going to pay FSU to join for 12 years without any television rights? This should get fun though.

FSU board meeting tomorrow to discuss challenging ACC GOR. FSU really going to spend a billion dollars on legal fees, exit fees, and lost television money over the next 12 years? The B1G isn't even paying the west coast schools a full share. How much are they going to pay FSU to join for 12 years without any television rights? This should get fun though.
There will be an expensive settlement and fsu will be in the big 10 in a few years. The ACC probably doesn’t want to find out if the grant of rights is actually enforceable.

They may have some outside financial help I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread