What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff pay per view? No effing way (1 Viewer)

I've always had Peacock for free (I think it comes w/ my internet service now), they seem to bundle it as a free add-on to a bunch of stuff, but I do see the slippery slope danger here, and like every streaming service I'm sure they'll aggressively raise prices once they have a userbase.

That said, with ESPN potentially releasing a streaming network soon if all the games are on streaming networks while that's annoying, it could eliminate the largest streaming cost (Youtube TV as a replacement for cable). I only keep YTTV at this point for sports and it costs more alone than all the other streaming services combined.
A couple points of clarification:

Peacock has a free tier with ads. However, free users will not have access to the playoff game.

We obviously don't know what the ESPN standalone service will be like since it hasn't been released yet, but my understanding is that it will be a way to get the broadcast feed without paying a cable provider. But if you still have cable, your service will remain the same. So if there's an MNF game, you can either watch it through your cable sub or fire up your standalone app and watch it that way.

Of course, they've already shown us that they're willing to put games exclusively on ESPN+, so that's clearly on the table as well

There are talks of several of them merging which could ultimately end up being sort of like cable again.
Only way to stream Showtime (starting Monday I think) is to subscribe to "Paramount+ with Showtime" which I did sometime back at a nicely discounted rate.
Comcast lost $3B on Peacock last year. There are merger talks now that would tie Paramount + and (HBO) Max together. Disney already owns Hulu and is going to merge it in with Disney+ soon. That will leave those 2 services and Netflix as the 2 major players and would leave Peacock likely just sold for parts. Of course when these streamers merge, prices are going to increase significantly. It's only a matter of time before we get more bundles as well. IMO, we are just working our way back to cable.
Paramount/Showtime/Max would be pretty good, but I'd have to imagine $$ since Par/Showtime is $12/mo and Max is $16/mo (less with ads). I currently have the Hulu/Disney/Espn bundle but not for much longer. Very little I want to watch on Hulu and once I finish Loki2 I'm done with it. Only got Peacock since it was $2/mo but when that ends it's gone too. Mainly watch stuff that's free there anyway (PFT/DP show). Seems this is their answer to people jumping from one service to another when new series or new seasons of a series releases. Figure that will also stop the binge dump of all episodes at once as well. Gotta keep people locked in longer.
It's weird ever since Paramount merged with Showtime. I can watch Paramount Plus shows when they air on Showtime and set them to record on my DVR and I can stream on demand any showtime shows but I can't stream any Paramount Plus shows

Not paying either but I wonder what happens if my Browns play in that time slot if that gets put on local TV here. Really sucks how things have gone this way it isn't like we are not paying enough money already for cable and whatever else everyone is paying for.

Not paying either but I wonder what happens if my Browns play in that time slot if that gets put on local TV here. Really sucks how things have gone this way it isn't like we are not paying enough money already for cable and whatever else everyone is paying for.
They have to offer it to a local station of the 2 teams playing.

I’ll be the old man yelling at the clouds…

This is BULL****. The amount of money I’ve spent on football is ridiculous imo. Like previously mentioned finding the when and where every week is annoying as can be.I canceled the nfl ticket. I canceled my cable. I canceled my Amazon prime acct. canceled espn+. Glad I never got nfl+ and I’m sure as heck not buying peacock even if it is only 5.99. I get what they’re doing but it’s just not well thought through. Too many hands in the till so to speak…. I’m saving around about 250 dollars a month now and I still get to watch quite a bit of football. If I feel like I can’t miss a game I’ll go to the bar or figure out how to stream it. I cant justify over 3k a year just for football. Besides, That hurts my roi in fantasy 🤣

I mean jeez. These announcers cant even pronounce the players names half the time and the refs blow games the other half.

This is BULL****. The amount of money I’ve spent on football is ridiculous imo. Like previously mentioned finding the when and where every week is annoying as can be.I canceled the nfl ticket. I canceled my cable. I canceled my Amazon prime acct. canceled espn+. Glad I never got nfl+ and I’m sure as heck not buying peacock even if it is only 5.99. I get what they’re doing but it’s just not well thought through. Too many hands in the till so to speak…. I’m saving around about 250 dollars a month now and I still get to watch quite a bit of football. If I feel like I can’t miss a game I’ll go to the bar or figure out how to stream it. I cant justify over 3k a year just for football. Besides, That hurts my roi in fantasy 🤣

I mean jeez. These announcers cant even pronounce the players names half the time and the refs blow games the other half.
How much do you spend each time you go to the bar?

Irrelevant. Getting gouged is getting gouged, no matter where you go as an alternative.
I didn’t intend it as any sort of justification for the streaming services. My point was that if he’s “saving” all that money in fees but spending, I don’t know, $30 a week at the bar that he wouldn’t otherwise be spending, you have to take that into account.

When I was a freelancer, I would frequently work out of cafes that offered free wifi. I would view the money I spent on food or drinks as a business expense for my wifi access (note to any IRS agents lurking in the thread: I’m just talking about my own mental amounting, not anything I actually included in my tax return)

yay capitalism!
Do people think the nfl is not a capitalist venture? It is the very definition of our American society.
They aren't claiming it's not a capitalist venture. They are criticizing the fact that it it is, and are pissed that a new paradigm has been established that now requires them to pay for what used to be accessible for free.

Oh, and sportsurge.net

And I'm quite sure Peacock is banking on the fact people are busy and forgetful, and many sign up to watch this game and forget they did. Autopay and paperless billing will net them a few more months of revenue before people finally remember to cancel. It's all predatory and disgusts me.

They are indeed counting on it—it is predatory, obnoxious, and not even a good business model. It's a temporary revenue stream for an industry that needs to figure out long-term viability.

Not going thru the thread to see if it's been mentioned... But afaik, all the games get broadcast "free" in Canada. As in, you need like a low tier cable/satellite pan which includes TSN/NBC/CBS etc etc to get the games.

Crazy that they're gouging their biggest fanbase, but I guess that's where the cheddar is. Makes no sense to me.

A great way to force ppl over to using eye-pee-tee-vee is they arent already

If we're cool with games on ESPN and Amazon Prime, why not Peacock? Why not Hulu? Why not a PPV Super Bowl?

That's capitalism. If they can get away with it, they'll do it. It's not good or bad. It's the way the market works.

It costs more to park your car than it used to cost to attend a game. And they still sell out. A beanie that might cost $5 costs $19.99 if they sew a little logo on it. And people buy it.

They're fine with you saying "no, this is too much for me" as long as there's someone to replace you who's willing to pay that much more.

So what can you do? Take your kids to a high school football game instead, buy hot dogs and popcorn and candy, support a local school, and still leave with money in your pocket. Listen to playoff games on the radio while you do something else, and watch highlights online afterward. Or pay a little and keep watching. But it's going to get worse before it gets better.

If we're cool with games on ESPN and Amazon Prime, why not Peacock? Why not Hulu? Why not a PPV Super Bowl?

That's capitalism. If they can get away with it, they'll do it. It's not good or bad. It's the way the market works.

It costs more to park your car than it used to cost to attend a game. And they still sell out. A beanie that might cost $5 costs $19.99 if they sew a little logo on it. And people buy it.

They're fine with you saying "no, this is too much for me" as long as there's someone to replace you who's willing to pay that much more.

So what can you do? Take your kids to a high school football game instead, buy hot dogs and popcorn and candy, support a local school, and still leave with money in your pocket. Listen to playoff games on the radio while you do something else, and watch highlights online afterward. Or pay a little and keep watching. But it's going to get worse before it gets better.
I'm not cool with them on prime or whatever other service.

MLB is the same way. My 96 year old grandmother never missed one Phillies game not one. She probably watched just about every game for close to 40 years. Well a couple years ago there were a couple games the were in Apple TV only. I get capitalism but I hated it for her. Like you said these places don't really give a crap about their fans as long as at the end they have "enough".....it why I don't buy merchandise anymore

This is a weird argument, this "capitalism, therefore stratified television rights" argument. First of all, in order to broadcast football as the NFL wanted, they had to get around antitrust law. The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, enacted by the federal legislature, gave football an antitrust exemption so that they could negotiate the football rights to networks as a league, which would then distribute the profits to the teams as they saw fit.

This, from the Sports Business Journal:

"In 1961, the NFL signed a contract with CBS to televise its season, rather than have teams sign their own TV deals. Commissioner Pete Rozelle thought the deal was necessary to help small-market teams like the Green Bay Packers compete with teams in bigger cities like New York and Los Angeles, by pooling national TV revenue among all clubs. But the Justice Department soon questioned the legality of the deal on antitrust grounds. That led a federal judge in Philadelphia, Allan K. Grim, to strike down the contract in July 1961, ruling that it 'eliminated competition' among the teams in the sale of TV rights."

So the capitalism vs. other sort of industry is an interesting one to have regarding football. There are several grants from Congress and the judiciary that the NFL gets that are the antithesis of capitalist industry as normally regulated by the United States government. There are a bunch of public/private entanglements with football to where very little about their own business model is fully, privately capitalistic. Even the structure and revenue sharing of the NFL isn't "capitalistic" in a pure sense.

There are exemptions granted for stuff that normally wouldn't be allowed by a business enterprise or industry in America.

The draft, for one, would not be allowed.

The minimum age requirement, for another. It would be that all 18 year-olds were eligible to work, regardless of the CBA.

The antitrust exemptions granted by the United States legislature to football.

There are other exceptions to our economic system granted to the NFL. There's the public financing of stadiums, for one.

They owe the collective viewers something greater than the explanation that "It's capitalism!"

Last edited:
yay capitalism!
Do people think the nfl is not a capitalist venture? It is the very definition of our American society.
I think most are very aware of this. Let's look closer at that. Last year the NFL had a total revenue of over 18 BILLION. Up 1 BILLION from the previous year. The Peacock deal is roughly one year 100 million. Lots of money for sure, but finding a balance of making money and showing care to fans is important. It's not like the NFL is struggling or has competition to battle. Make your money. Provide good product. Respect fans. Nickel and diming us on beers at stadiums is one thing. Nickel and diming us on our ability to simply watch a game from home seems greedy.

One other thing to note is that this game will be available on regular NBC in the home markets for the two participating teams. Perhaps a small concession but if anything it shows they know this is going to piss a ton of people off so they're easing us into it.
I forget the exact reason (part of the antitrust exemption?) but I'm pretty sure they are required to do this. It's not a concession.
Yes. Required. I'm sure the NFL would love to get around it. These are the people that would actually buy the game.

I’m not a bar dweller nor am I a “get drunk at the bar guy” I’d be fine with a burger and a coke.

It's so easy to find free streams online, I dont know why anyone would pay a network or service to watch a football game, but millions of people do, so they're not gonna stop.

I refuse to play by their rules.

yay capitalism!
I think most are very aware of this. Let's look closer at that. Last year the NFL had a total revenue of over 18 BILLION. Up 1 BILLION from the previous year. The Peacock deal is roughly one year 100 million. Lots of money for sure, but finding a balance of making money and showing care to fans is important. It's not like the NFL is struggling or has competition to battle. Make your money. Provide good product. Respect fans. Nickel and diming us on beers at stadiums is one thing. Nickel and diming us on our ability to simply watch a game from home seems greedy.
The NFL pays lip service to it's fans.
The Elephant in the room doesn't care two $#it$ about it's fans.
The media money just keeps pouring in.
If you're a fan accept this is the new reality or leave,that's The NFL's mindset.

yay capitalism!
The NFL pays lip service to it's fans.
The Elephant in the room doesn't care two $#it$ about it's fans.
The media money just keeps pouring in.
If you're a fan accept this is the new reality or leave,that's The NFL's mindset.
Agreed. Mostly. I will add today's culture is very different then it used to be. See Bud Light. I'm not necessarily comparing the NFLs product to run of the mill products. It's a strong, nearly indestructible force of popularity.. Having said that. Posters on this site are in most cases way above average fans. If these above average fans are starting to chirp do you think the part time average fans might also chirp? Once again the popularity isn't in question. The least interesting game of the week, if put on prime time is gonna crush for ratings. I'm just saying if the NFL continues this "take it and shut up" approach it will be interesting to see if those ratings gaps start to close a bit. In the end what does that mean? A drop from 18 BILLION a year to 17 Billion? Ha ha

It's so easy to find free streams online, I dont know why anyone would pay a network or service to watch a football game, but millions of people do, so they're not gonna stop.

I don't like football enough to find a stream online to then hookup to my giant projector :shrug:

I don't like football enough to find a stream online to then hookup to my giant projector :shrug:
Finding an online stream is just one way. IPTV is another. Before I went that route, I'd find a YouTube live game link (via Dufo sports app) and just play it on the YouTube app on my TV. Or mirror from my phone to my TV.

If streaming is too much work then yeah by all means, pony up for the service and help them get richer, whatever works.

now requires them to pay for what used to be accessible for free.
Unless you’re using rabbit ears (or similar) this hasn’t been free in many years.
$20 antenna from Amazon. Been using it for years.
Yep. Got one.l of those a few months ago . It's shaped like a mouse pad and sticks to window. Downloaded app that has local TV guide. The idea was to cuty cable cord. Just still haven't. Smh

Unless you’re using rabbit ears (or similar) this hasn’t been free in many years.
Yep. Got one.l of those a few months ago . It's shaped like a mouse pad and sticks to window. Downloaded app that has local TV guide. The idea was to cuty cable cord. Just still haven't. Smh
I have that same one. I tried more expensive antennas but none work as good as that cheap thin Amazon mouse pad antenna. Don't know what the secret about it is.

I bought one but couldn’t get good reception

Just curious, how is this any different than having to have Prime to watch Thursday night games (other than it being a playoff game)?

I dont know how it's any different, but its more the precedent it sets. It opens the door for multiple NFL/playoff games all being on some different streaming service. Then you'll have the Superbowl on another, oh but then maybe you'll have to switch to another for the halftime show. And for the most part they're all streaming services you wouldnt really watch anything else on. There are so many of them now, everything is so diluted. Having to sign up and cancel each time the one show you want to watch has a new season gets tiresome.
The dilution upsets me. I don't watch ANYTHING except football on NBC at this point. For decades they were the kings of Thursday nights. Now they split their shows between broadcast and streaming and I'm not paying for yet another streaming service. I have cable still (still have a dang landline too because my wife refuses to let me stop paying $5 a month so telemarketers can annoy me), Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, Max, and Apple TV. Several are free for me, but it's ridiculous. Anyways, Peacock and Paramount+ can eat a fat one, they showed up after I already hit my limit.

Just curious, how is this any different than having to have Prime to watch Thursday night games (other than it being a playoff game)?

I dont know how it's any different, but its more the precedent it sets. It opens the door for multiple NFL/playoff games all being on some different streaming service. Then you'll have the Superbowl on another, oh but then maybe you'll have to switch to another for the halftime show. And for the most part they're all streaming services you wouldnt really watch anything else on. There are so many of them now, everything is so diluted. Having to sign up and cancel each time the one show you want to watch has a new season gets tiresome.
This really isn't that complicated. The league will do whatever brings in the most money. If that means having every playoff game on a different network or streaming service, at some point they'll do that.
That's why I hope it gets terrible ratings

I did find it interesting that they are putting the primetime game on Peacock and the afternoon one on NBC. Saturday afternoon is by far the worst timeslot, and I would have figured they would put the Peacock game there as an experiment. If they end up with a headline team like Dallas, Philly, or KC, there could be a much bigger backlash
It's so they can advertise the Peacock game 800 times during the afternoon game.

The way I see it is this is no different than cable companies mysteriously increasing your cable bill $2 a month every three or four months. This has been going on for YEARS. And anyone with cable has been dealing with this literally for the last 25 years.

I quit streaming about 4 years ago. My bill now STILL with streaming is about $30-40 a month cheaper than when I had cable. Depending on what I have chosen to stream at the time. And I'll add the Peacock app for a month to get this game.

Why? Because to me people that complain about "its the principle" is failing to understand that the consumer now has control of all of this instead of a cable company that can basically do whatever THEY want. Not what YOU want.

You want this game for free but are willing to bend over and just take that cable cost raise every few months for no reason? Be my guest - because you are gonna pay for this one way or the other.

I can easily cancel another app I'm not using for a month to offset that cost. Give me that control all day every day. And guess what? I have access to WAY MORE stuff than I ever had as a cable company and I'm STILL saving money.
I agree. It's like people think the NFL owes us "free" games.

This is the likely future. I can see a total pay model at some point down the road. If so, I'll be paying just like the overwhelmingly vast majority of NFL fans. Maybe a few boomers will hold firm, but the NFL machine will roll on.
I personally don't think the NFL owes me free games. It should be that if I buy a car (cable), the car comes ready to drive. I shouldnt have to buy the car (cable), the tires (Amazon prime), the windshield (ESPN plus), the battery (peacock). All my opinion of course.
We're also buying the games by being advertised to. It's not like Peacock won't have ads and constant banners. They will.

So which game will Peacock get? Hopefully CLE/HOU. No need to watch that garbage anyways.
I kind of wonder about the Eagles game due to the comcast ties... that would actually move a needle in terms of signups, them or the Steelers but I sort of think the Steelers get Monday night.

I did find it interesting that they are putting the primetime game on Peacock and the afternoon one on NBC. Saturday afternoon is by far the worst timeslot, and I would have figured they would put the Peacock game there as an experiment. If they end up with a headline team like Dallas, Philly, or KC, there could be a much bigger backlash
They will.

As a matter of fact, I would almost bet $100 the Chiefs will be in that spot. They are probably one and done in this playoffs, so may as well try it out on them.
You all almost owe me $100

So which game will Peacock get? Hopefully CLE/HOU. No need to watch that garbage anyways.
KC vs Pit\Mia\Buf depending on tonight

They're already pumping the exclusive thing and throwing out the Peacock QR code tonight. It's going to ruin the afternoon game as they're going to mention it 87 more times than Taylor Swift gets mentioned in a Chiefs game.

ETA: I bet they intentionally picked the Chiefs game so they can leverage Swift into more Peacock sign ups.

They're already pumping the exclusive thing and throwing out the Peacock QR code tonight. It's going to ruin the afternoon game as they're going to mention it 87 more times than Taylor Swift gets mentioned in a Chiefs game.

ETA: I bet they intentionally picked the Chiefs game so they can leverage Swift into more Peacock sign ups.
They’re going to use the game as a lead-in for Eras Tour Behind the Scenes, aren’t they?

They’re going to use the game as a lead-in for Eras Tour Behind the Scenes, aren’t they?
I mean, I have no idea what programming Peacock has but if they have that, 100%. There are probably execs over there having seizures and chanting "synergy" about it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread