What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (3 Viewers)

Defense is a turnstile and offense has no confidence, whether it's the coaching, the players, or both. Maybe the "cupcakes" left on their schedule help them both get back on track, but it's just as likely they go from 10-1 controlling their own destiny for a 1-seed and the division to a 5 seed playing on the road in the WC round. That would be a pretty big fall and among the worst in team history. And if I'm in the NFL writer's room, I would punch up the script to include a devasting injury in W17 @ MetLife that happens only because we had to play the starters to still have a chance at the division because we also drop 1 of these next 3.
:shrug:

Somehow, the Eagles are favored next week. I thought for sure they'd be a 5 point dog.

After today, and assuming next week is similar, I don't know how you can bring Sirianni back. Unless Roseman/Lurie are secretly pulling the strings, this all falls on him. This is his offensive scheme that STILL has zero answers for blitzes. He's the one who panicked and switched Desai for Patricia, of all people.

I always have unrealistic hope for Philly teams when they make the playoffs. It's a clean slate and anything can happen, but not this time. I had more optimism in '21 when they went to TB then I do this year. This is the '94 season all over again, only that year they mercifully missed the playoffs. I remember vowing to not watch another game until Kotite was fired after the Atlanta game I think, and I'm close to the same here.

This team has too much talent to be this bad, especially on offense. So many of the issues look so easy to fix to at least become competitive, but when you get shellacked by a garbage Giants team that was rotating backup QBs...

One thing I'll say, and I know he has his own issues that need to improve, but this season made me more impressed with Hurts. This scheme did him no favors at all. The fact he did anything positive in the first half of the season was more on his ability and those around him. Imagine what they could do with competent coaching!

Defense is a turnstile and offense has no confidence, whether it's the coaching, the players, or both. Maybe the "cupcakes" left on their schedule help them both get back on track, but it's just as likely they go from 10-1 controlling their own destiny for a 1-seed and the division to a 5 seed playing on the road in the WC round. That would be a pretty big fall and among the worst in team history. And if I'm in the NFL writer's room, I would punch up the script to include a devasting injury in W17 @ MetLife that happens only because we had to play the starters to still have a chance at the division because we also drop 1 of these next 3.

Noid you nostradomous

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Somehow, the Eagles are favored next week. I thought for sure they'd be a 5 point dog.

After today, and assuming next week is similar, I don't know how you can bring Sirianni back. Unless Roseman/Lurie are secretly pulling the strings, this all falls on him. This is his offensive scheme that STILL has zero answers for blitzes. He's the one who panicked and switched Desai for Patricia, of all people.
Are we sure this is the case? I’m not disagreeing with your broader point, just wondered if that is a known fact, because I heard rumors that it came down from Roseman/Lurie.

This is a false narrative though, even if team wasn't a genuine 10 win type team. They still sported wins against FOUR teams that would eventually win 10 or more and make the playoffs. No bad team does that, and no bad team starts 10-1 regardless of schedule or luck involved.
This wasn't a case of a weak team getting exposed, this was an epic COLLAPSE of what was a good team. So please for the love of God can we stop with the "I always knew they stunk" garbage, because they didn't.

It’s a lot more nuanced than they beat four teams that would eventually win 10 games.

You seem to have it at a “good or bad” and I didn’t say that or mean to imply it. They simply weren’t as good as their record would indicate. I didn’t say this was a 10-1 team that was really a 2-9 or 3-8 team. They were a 10-1 team that looked like a 6-5 or 7-4 team. So a good team (above average) that was masquerading as a great team getting exposed.

I agree the answers for the blitz are concerning, however, I’m not sure why it’s falling all on the HC? He shares some blame for sure. He's also not the creator of the offense. I’m wondering why our QB is unable to see a blitz coming (even though it’s shown) and can’t change the play. Can he not even see the pressure? Or is he not capable to change a play? This is 3 years of it with him now. He hasn’t gotten any better in that area. The great QB’s see this a mile away and would FEAST with our weapons.

As far as Patricia and Desai goes that’s not on Nick at all. You could see how bad Desai was immediately. The very fact that Patricia was here speaks volumes on what everyone thought of Desai. That’s bad all around. Now maybe Gannon really screwed us and let lead us to believe he’d be back before leaving and that’s what put us in this situation. It’s possible.

Bottom line is, you’ll know all you need to know when you see what we do with these coordinators. If we fill these spots with guys who have no real experience than the problems are above a HC.

Damn, that’s so eerily accurate.

I agree the answers for the blitz are concerning, however, I’m not sure why it’s falling all on the HC? He shares some blame for sure. He's also not the creator of the offense. I’m wondering why our QB is unable to see a blitz coming (even though it’s shown) and can’t change the play. Can he not even see the pressure? Or is he not capable to change a play? This is 3 years of it with him now. He hasn’t gotten any better in that area. The great QB’s see this a mile away and would FEAST with our weapons.

As far as Patricia and Desai goes that’s not on Nick at all. You could see how bad Desai was immediately. The very fact that Patricia was here speaks volumes on what everyone thought of Desai. That’s bad all around. Now maybe Gannon really screwed us and let lead us to believe he’d be back before leaving and that’s what put us in this situation. It’s possible.

Bottom line is, you’ll know all you need to know when you see what we do with these coordinators. If we fill these spots with guys who have no real experience than the problems are above a HC.

He was seeing it great last year

He was seeing it great last year
I wouldn’t say great but better. He was also way better at getting away from it. The knee has been a big issue too, but he looked noticeably slower even before he got dinged. Teams know he’s not outrunning anyone.

Coaches never adjusted to this.

Are we sure this is the case? I’m not disagreeing with your broader point, just wondered if that is a known fact, because I heard rumors that it came down from Roseman/Lurie.
You missed the line before that one where I asked this.

It's Sirianni's offense at its core. It's not like Johnson came in and created everything from scratch. If Sirianni has nothing to do with the offense, then what is he even doing during the week? If it isn't his offense, by now he damn well should have sat Johnson down and said WTF, fix it this way. If you and I can see the problems, these dudes should be able to as well. From what I understand, most plays have no hot routes, no dump-offs, nothing to compensate for a blitz. Hell, sometimes they don't even have a back in to help when they know it's coming. I can't put all the blame for this on the QB (I don't absolve him, more than one thing can be true). If Hurts needs to adjust at the line for a defense that blitzes as much as the Giants do, then the coaches didn't prepare a good gameplan at all. At that point, why have the coaches do anything? Let the players play sandlot style.

And Gannon 100% screwed the Eagles last year. Fangio was here to take over, but Gannon had illegal contact with the Cards week before the Super Bowl. Gannon lied (shocker) and said he was definitely coming back, so Fangio walked, then Gannon did as well, leaving the Eagles to scramble and they picked poorly. Forget where I read it, but apparently the Eagles tried to get Fangio to stay after Gannon screwed them, but he had already verbally committed to the Dolphins and didn't want to break his word. Though this Fangio style defense is garbage anyway, but it's what we're stuck with for now.

I'm getting rambly, but end of the day Sirianni is responsible for most of this and has done nothing to fix it. And if he isn't and it's really Roseman/Lurie doing everything, then the team is more flawed than we know.

• Thanks

It's Sirianni's offense at its core. It's not like Johnson came in and created everything from scratch. If Sirianni has nothing to do with the offense, then what is he even doing during the week? If it isn't his offense, by now he damn well should have sat Johnson down and said WTF, fix it this way. If you and I can see the problems, these dudes should be able to as well. From what I understand, most plays have no hot routes, no dump-offs, nothing to compensate for a blitz. Hell, sometimes they don't even have a back in to help when they know it's coming. I can't put all the blame for this on the QB (I don't absolve him, more than one thing can be true). If Hurts needs to adjust at the line for a defense that blitzes as much as the Giants do, then the coaches didn't prepare a good gameplan at all. At that point, why have the coaches do anything? Let the players play sandlot style.

And Gannon 100% screwed the Eagles last year. Fangio was here to take over, but Gannon had illegal contact with the Cards week before the Super Bowl. Gannon lied (shocker) and said he was definitely coming back, so Fangio walked, then Gannon did as well, leaving the Eagles to scramble and they picked poorly. Forget where I read it, but apparently the Eagles tried to get Fangio to stay after Gannon screwed them, but he had already verbally committed to the Dolphins and didn't want to break his word. Though this Fangio style defense is garbage anyway, but it's what we're stuck with for now.

I'm getting rambly, but end of the day Sirianni is responsible for most of this and has done nothing to fix it. And if he isn't and it's really Roseman/Lurie doing everything, then the team is more flawed than we know.

That's where I'm at with siranni. It's been 2 months and it's the same issues over and over.. what the hell are they doing during the week?

You missed the line before that one where I asked this.
No I saw it. I guess I misinterpreted. I thought you were saying it was confirmed that this was a Sirianni move.

If it’s Sirianni’s offense at its core, why does it look so drastically different this year than the previous 2? What or who changed?

Why do we assume he hasn’t helped Johnson? What if Sirianni has zero control over whether Johnson is here or not? There is zero doubt they’ve helped him. Just because you help doesn’t mean they do.

You're letting Hurts off the hook big time too. This isn’t a rookie. My 255 million dollar QB better check off of a play every single time he sees that he can. He worked within the framework of the offense very well last year. This year he’s backyard football.

I feel like a broken record but we severely underestimated the impact of losing both coordinators and lots of other coaches. That’s a TON to replace in one off season.

That's where I'm at with siranni. It's been 2 months and it's the same issues over and over.. what the hell are they doing during the week?

Do you think if Andy Reid just spoke to Juan Castillo that would have made him a better DC? I mean he had the same issues all year long. WTF was Andy doing all week? Why didn’t Juan just change and do better? Some people just aren’t capable of doing the job they have well. Some are just gonna be bad at it no matter what.

Look, I get it that the HC is gonna take the blame. Hell, he’s already taking it for all kinds of things according to the players. That doesn’t mean it’s his fault.

If they do move on from him the issues are 100% above the HC position and these guys are just puppets. All you can expect after that is another no-name coach and staff and as soon they do well they’re purged, everyone else is elevated and exposed and around and around we go.

We can remedy this by simply getting a Bienemy as OC since that staff is done.

• Thanks
I just don't understand how supposed professional coaches can keep trotting out the same failed plan 6 weeks in a row. Especially the last 2 weeks. Defense is non existent. I think you could put a state champion High school coach back there and he'd scheme up something that would stop the Cards and the Giants for at least half the time.

Nick won't be fired but he is literally Brandon Staley right now. What does he do here if his coordinators are either

A) following his plan

Or

B) ignoring him and running the same failed ****.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFF. All that detail too. That's eerie.

How the **** are we 2.5 point faves?

Our 3 best offensive players may or may not be playing, and we look like this now. I'm surprised.

I always have unrealistic hope for Philly teams when they make the playoffs. It's a clean slate and anything can happen, but not this time. I had more optimism in '21 when they went to TB then I do this year. This is the '94 season all over again, only that year they mercifully missed the playoffs. I remember vowing to not watch another game until Kotite was fired after the Atlanta game I think, and I'm close to the same here.

This team has too much talent to be this bad, especially on offense. So many of the issues look so easy to fix to at least become competitive, but when you get shellacked by a garbage Giants team that was rotating backup QBs...

One thing I'll say, and I know he has his own issues that need to improve, but this season made me more impressed with Hurts. This scheme did him no favors at all. The fact he did anything positive in the first half of the season was more on his ability and those around him. Imagine what they could do with competent coaching!
it is hard to figure out what is going on with this team. I agree about Hurts here as well, you can see in most of the replays from the last few games that Hurts has every single receiving option covered when he drops back to pass, Watching more film does give more credit to Hurts, and hopefully they are able to find the root of the issues before camp starts next year

This is a false narrative though, even if team wasn't a genuine 10 win type team. They still sported wins against FOUR teams that would eventually win 10 or more and make the playoffs. No bad team does that, and no bad team starts 10-1 regardless of schedule or luck involved.
This wasn't a case of a weak team getting exposed, this was an epic COLLAPSE of what was a good team. So please for the love of God can we stop with the "I always knew they stunk" garbage, because they didn't.

It’s a lot more nuanced than they beat four teams that would eventually win 10 games.

So a good team (above average) that was masquerading as a great team getting exposed.
I think most of us could agree with this. Perhaps they were never great, but they certainly weren't bad. They weren't lose 5 of 6 including two cellar dwellers bad.

Something went horribly wrong, and for whatever reason they haven't been able to right the ship. I still believe the offense was....ok. Not great, but not terrible during these last 6 games. They were certainly poor today but also faced more then normal adversity today after losing Brown and Hurts hurting his hand. I think we can all agree that we expected more from the offense, but it certainly hasn't been terrible (before today). Like many others here, I have serious questions about play calling.

The defense is a whole different story. We knew even at 10-1 they weren't very good. They looked merely average. The sack totals were way down from last year. But 11 games in, they were getting pressure fairly routinely, even if the sack totals weren't all that impressive, They got a few turnovers here and there. Since the kickoff of the SF game though, that sack average dropped to less then 2/game, and the turnovers to less then 1. A team that struggled on 3rd down suddenly couldn't stop even a bad team from converting even on long third downs. Suddenly an Arizona team doesn't punt even once in a game. This defense is a league bottom five unit right now, maybe bottom 2 or 3. And they WEREN'T THAT bad. WTF happened??????

Our 3 best offensive players may or may not be playing, and we look like this now. I'm surprised.
I'm betting a large sum on TB this week. Easy money
I'd like to caution you to think about that decision carefully.

The Buccaneers got throttled by the Saints at home in week 17 with everything on the line, and followed it up by scoring exactly zero touchdowns against the worst team in the NFL. The same team that had a missed field goal, a touchdown called back, and another punched out before they crossed the goal line. Tampa never got nearly that close to a touchdown. That victory paired nicely with the unimpressive 21-18 victory over this same team at home a few weeks back.

Tampa Bay is 3-7 against teams that finished with winning records. Take out the middling teams (9-8) and they're 0-5 against teams with at least 10 wins. On the bright side, they're playing at home, where they were a dominating 4-4.

I'm not a gambler, so you probably know more than I do. But this does not look like easy money to me.

I'm betting a large sum on TB this week. Easy money
I'd like to caution you to think about that decision carefully.

The Buccaneers got throttled by the Saints at home in week 17 with everything on the line, and followed it up by scoring exactly zero touchdowns against the worst team in the NFL. The same team that had a missed field goal, a touchdown called back, and another punched out before they crossed the goal line. Tampa never got nearly that close to a touchdown. That victory paired nicely with the unimpressive 21-18 victory over this same team at home a few weeks back.

Tampa Bay is 3-7 against teams that finished with winning records. Take out the middling teams (9-8) and they're 0-5 against teams with at least 10 wins. On the bright side, they're playing at home, where they were a dominating 4-4.

I'm not a gambler, so you probably know more than I do. But this does not look like easy money to me.
The eagles lost 2 straight games to the Cardinals and Giants. They let up 31 points per game and 425 yards per game doing it. Their defense is non existent. So this is truly the case of moveable object meets resistable force. Add in that the Eagles will be without AJ Brown most likely and D Smith and Jalen Hurts will play injured at best and this is going to be very ugly

So a good team (above average) that was masquerading as a great team getting exposed.
I think most of us could agree with this. Perhaps they were never great, but they certainly weren't bad. They weren't lose 5 of 6 including two cellar dwellers bad.

Something went horribly wrong, and for whatever reason they haven't been able to right the ship. I still believe the offense was....ok. Not great, but not terrible during these last 6 games. They were certainly poor today but also faced more then normal adversity today after losing Brown and Hurts hurting his hand. I think we can all agree that we expected more from the offense, but it certainly hasn't been terrible (before today). Like many others here, I have serious questions about play calling.

The defense is a whole different story. We knew even at 10-1 they weren't very good. They looked merely average. The sack totals were way down from last year. But 11 games in, they were getting pressure fairly routinely, even if the sack totals weren't all that impressive, They got a few turnovers here and there. Since the kickoff of the SF game though, that sack average dropped to less then 2/game, and the turnovers to less then 1. A team that struggled on 3rd down suddenly couldn't stop even a bad team from converting even on long third downs. Suddenly an Arizona team doesn't punt even once in a game. This defense is a league bottom five unit right now, maybe bottom 2 or 3. And they WEREN'T THAT bad. WTF happened??????
Teams got more info on how to stop the Eagles as the year went on...

Also keep in mind, we lament losing to a 4 win Arizona team as the ultimate downfall. During the part of the season where we were "good" - we needed overtime to beat a 4 win Washington team, and barely beat the 4 win New England Patriots. It was literally the Patriots AND Washingtons best offensive game all year long. When we beat the Vikings by FOUR points they had 4 turnovers, including the fluky Jefferson fumble out of the endzone that 95% of the time is a TD. The Miami win...they might be close to a fraud as we are, they beat up on bad teams and lose to good teams.

This is the best possible matchup for the Eagles. Although I do think the Bucs defense will be a challenge for the Eagles O. They blitz a lot - Hurts will have to make quick decisions with a gimpy WR core.

I think a “come to Jesus” meeting will happen this week for Philly. It’s the playoffs and as bad as they have played the last 4 weeks, they are professionals that want to win. I don’t think they can beat anyone in the playoffs EXCEPT Tampa. Faker Mayfield is a joke, and they barely squeezed out 9 points to a crappy team. I think Hurts comes out of his shell and rallies these guys. I get that the defense sucks, but the offense can put up points- the Bucs can’t. The best thing for y’all’s Eagles is they get the worst team to play. Eagles 24 Bucs 20. I’d give up the -2.5 and take the Eagles before it changes (if I could force myself to bet on the Eagles 🤢)
That was tough for me to admit…. GO Cowboys 🤠

I think a “come to Jesus” meeting will happen this week for Philly. It’s the playoffs and as bad as they have played the last 4 weeks, they are professionals that want to win. I don’t think they can beat anyone in the playoffs EXCEPT Tampa. Faker Mayfield is a joke, and they barely squeezed out 9 points to a crappy team. I think Hurts comes out of his shell and rallies these guys. I get that the defense sucks, but the offense can put up points- the Bucs can’t. The best thing for y’all’s Eagles is they get the worst team to play. Eagles 24 Bucs 20. I’d give up the -2.5 and take the Eagles before it changes (if I could force myself to bet on the Eagles 🤢)
That was tough for me to admit…. GO Cowboys 🤠
You'd think, but the fact they didn't that realization when beating Arizona would have been the path for the #2 seed...I just don't know. Something is seriously broken with these guys.
I'm guessing with Matt Patricia - they just are trying to learn it and are making mistakes? There's no way his defense scheme is *this* bad.

This is the best possible matchup for the Eagles. Although I do think the Bucs defense will be a challenge for the Eagles O. They blitz a lot - Hurts will have to make quick decisions with a gimpy WR core.
Bucs secondary is pretty bad, other than Winfield who is amazing. Bucs are tough to run on. I expect the Eagles to hit a bunch of annoying 10-12 yard passes all day and keep the chains moving. Think they win like 24-20. Bucs will put up a fight.

If it’s Sirianni’s offense at its core, why does it look so drastically different this year than the previous 2? What or who changed?

Why do we assume he hasn’t helped Johnson? What if Sirianni has zero control over whether Johnson is here or not? There is zero doubt they’ve helped him. Just because you help doesn’t mean they do.

You're letting Hurts off the hook big time too. This isn’t a rookie. My 255 million dollar QB better check off of a play every single time he sees that he can. He worked within the framework of the offense very well last year. This year he’s backyard football.

I feel like a broken record but we severely underestimated the impact of losing both coordinators and lots of other coaches. That’s a TON to replace in one off season.
Not a fair comparison since Reid is not a defensive coach, just like I don't expect Sirianni to fix the current defensive issues directly. But during the week, I have to assume he's involved with the offensive gameplan and the "scripted" plays to start a game, and how has that worked out? Of course the new coordinators are an issue, but I don't see how Sirianni is absolved of blame for the offense as if he isn't involved at all. Johnson is just bad and Sirianni can only watch helplessly and throw his hands up all season? I'm not letting Hurts off the hook, but I place more blame on coaching than him. More than one thing can be true. The coaches aren't putting any of the players in a position to succeed. Almost every big play is due to their talent or some fluke. I know people like to say, "It's not the X's and the O's but the Jimmys and the Joes" but I never fully agreed with that because it assumes basic competence. The best players will fail if the coaches aren't playing to their strengths, like putting Brady in an option offense for example.

i think we should root for a loss so they are forced to make major coaching changes.
if they win this game or somehow win 2 playoff games it might make them think they can keep some of these clowns around.....

Not a fair comparison since Reid is not a defensive coach, just like I don't expect Sirianni to fix the current defensive issues directly. But during the week, I have to assume he's involved with the offensive gameplan and the "scripted" plays to start a game, and how has that worked out? Of course the new coordinators are an issue, but I don't see how Sirianni is absolved of blame for the offense as if he isn't involved at all. Johnson is just bad and Sirianni can only watch helplessly and throw his hands up all season? I'm not letting Hurts off the hook, but I place more blame on coaching than him. More than one thing can be true. The coaches aren't putting any of the players in a position to succeed. Almost every big play is due to their talent or some fluke. I know people like to say, "It's not the X's and the O's but the Jimmys and the Joes" but I never fully agreed with that because it assumes basic competence. The best players will fail if the coaches aren't playing to their strengths, like putting Brady in an option offense for example.

It wasn’t meant to be a comparison. Just saying that incompetent people will remain that way regardless of how much you try. When people want Sirianni “to do something” what they truly mean is to make it right or to fix it. That just isn’t possible at times.

He’s also not completely absolved from blame. He’s always going to get some which is what we’re seeing right now. Most likely most of the blame he’s getting is not his fault. At some point you have to rely on people to do their own jobs well.

The blame for me is coordinators, GM, QB and then HC.

Howie has a say in the roster and coaches apparently. He fell into the same trap after our SB and had to “bring the band back” when conventional wisdom said to let some older players walk and keep the younger ones.

When it comes to Hurts we can’t have it both ways. We can’t call him a top 5-10 QB in the game and then remove blame because he can’t see a blitz or bails from clean pockets over and over.

Even with all of that said, it’s easily correctable in my opinion. Most of the talent is locked up for a while. You HAVE to nail on some good coaches. I mentioned it above but if you can get like Bienemy as OC or even a Minter as DC that’s huge.

• Love

It wasn’t meant to be a comparison. Just saying that incompetent people will remain that way regardless of how much you try. When people want Sirianni “to do something” what they truly mean is to make it right or to fix it. That just isn’t possible at times.

He’s also not completely absolved from blame. He’s always going to get some which is what we’re seeing right now. Most likely most of the blame he’s getting is not his fault. At some point you have to rely on people to do their own jobs well.

The blame for me is coordinators, GM, QB and then HC.

Howie has a say in the roster and coaches apparently. He fell into the same trap after our SB and had to “bring the band back” when conventional wisdom said to let some older players walk and keep the younger ones.

When it comes to Hurts we can’t have it both ways. We can’t call him a top 5-10 QB in the game and then remove blame because he can’t see a blitz or bails from clean pockets over and over.

Even with all of that said, it’s easily correctable in my opinion. Most of the talent is locked up for a while. You HAVE to nail on some good coaches. I mentioned it above but if you can get like Bienemy as OC or even a Minter as DC that’s huge.
I think we're saying the same things, just putting a different percentage of blame out there, and I'm talking like 10% difference between us. Either way it's an incredibly frustrating end to a season and a waste of talent.

Bucs secondary is pretty bad, other than Winfield who is amazing. Bucs are tough to run on. I expect the Eagles to hit a bunch of annoying 10-12 yard passes all day and keep the chains moving. Think they win like 24-20. Bucs will put up a fight.
oh, that's not something that we do. We only get to 3rd and 3 and take shots 35 yards down the sideline. That's it. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread