What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA, are you aware of this? From mere months ago, no less.

Run-D.M.C.'s "Walk This Way" was the soundtrack to my eighth grade. We had grown up with fragments of hip hop culture—MCs and DJs and graffiti and breakdancing—but this was the song that really introduced rap/hip hop into our daily consciousness and made it seem like it was a long-lasting and viable art form that transcended a whole bunch of boundaries.

It still sounds heavy and righteous.

Run-D.M.C.'s "Walk This Way" was the soundtrack to my eighth grade. We had grown up with fragments of hip hop culture—MCs and DJs and graffiti and breakdancing—but this was the song that really introduced rap/hip hop into our daily consciousness and made it seem like it was a long-lasting and viable art form that transcended a whole bunch of boundaries.

It still sounds heavy and righteous.
I'm probably missing some, but that might have been the most impactful crossover hit since Blondie's "Rapture" five years prior.

I'm probably missing some, but that might have been the most impactful crossover hit since Blondie's "Rapture" five years prior

Beastie Boys and LL Cool J were probably the others from the mid '80s, anyway. They were big in the 'burbs. I can't claim to know what "Rapture" brought to the mainstream in terms of hip hop because I was way too young for it.

I'm probably missing some, but that might have been the most impactful crossover hit since Blondie's "Rapture" five years prior

Beastie Boys and LL Cool J were probably the others from the mid '80s, anyway. They were big in the 'burbs. I can't claim to know what "Rapture" brought to the mainstream in terms of hip hop because I was way too young for it.
I don't think Rapture had nearly the same cultural impact on suburbia that Walk This Way had, but Blondie did help bring public awareness to the genre when many of us (I was 12/13 at the time) had no idea what rap was at the time.

I don't think Rapture had nearly the same cultural impact on suburbia that Walk This Way had, but Blondie did help bring public awareness to the genre when many of us (I was 12/13 at the time) had no idea what rap was at the time.
"Rapper's Delight" helped grease the skids in cul-de-sacs

@scorchy This song has been stuck in my head for a few days now. :lol: Back in the day when I watched the show, I used to be disappointed if I'd miss this opening song. I wanted it played at Mildred's funeral, but that was shot down fast. It could have been worked in with the gospel songs. My mom is a great piano player, and she could have played a snippet of it. It would have made all that knew her smile. I played it in my head for her.

Mister CIA, are you aware of this? From mere months ago, no less.

I'm not too familiar with that thread, but last month I swapped 4th round picks to acquire Sean Tucker (gave 4.03 and got 4.09 + Tucker), so this bodes well. The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades.

I'd only heard Tanya Tucker's version of Delta Dawn, so I listened to Bette Midler's, and it's good. It's quite different than Tanya's version. Part of it has a gospel feel to it. One of my friends used to play The Rose soundtrack a lot around 1980. Bette rocked on that album. Tanya was one of my favorite acts at the Merlefest last year. Her banter was fun and she performed great, and though she has simmered down a lot in her older years, you can tell that wild child is still inside her. The last song she played was Delta Dawn.

I'd only heard Tanya Tucker's version of Delta Dawn, so I listened to Bette Midler's, and it's good. It's quite different than Tanya's version. Part of it has a gospel feel to it. One of my friends used to play The Rose soundtrack a lot around 1980. Bette rocked on that album. Tanya was one of my favorite acts at the Merlefest last year. Her banter was fun and she performed great, and though she has simmered down a lot in her older years, you can tell that wild child is still inside her. The last song she played was Delta Dawn.
There may or may not be a more recent Tanya record coming up. The bolded may or may not still be true.

Tearwave's version of Under The Milky Way is dreamy.

Corona by Calexico makes me want to put on my sombrero and drink some tequila. I saw the Minutemen back in December of '85 when they opened for REM, but I don't remember what they played, only that they were fun, crazy, and energized.

I like this slowed down version of Be My Baby by Glasvegas.

There may or may not be a more recent Tanya record coming up. The bolded may or may not still be true.
Check her out in this photo from a few months ago. Her daughter, Presley (beside her on her right), backed her up on vocals at the Merlefest.

It's amazing how many covers of this song popped up in the early 70s. First there was Bette Midler, then Tanya in 72 hit #6 on the country charts, and then in 73 along comes another artist and hits #1 on the pop charts (which I had totally forgotten about).

I had also totally forgotten about how young Tanya was when she released Delta Dawn - 13. That's amazing. I knew she was young when she released it, but I thought she was 17 or 18, probably because I have a mental link connecting her to teenage baseball pitching phenom, David Clyde, who made his MLB debut in '73 at the age of 18. That was back in my Junior Dr. Pepper Ranger membership days.

This weekend means relaxing, playing games and listening to the #29s. It was pretty heavy on songs I know, if by performers that I didn’t know covered those songs. If I was familiar with the coverers at all. Because of that, and wanting to save some songs to discuss later, I decided to add another “new” to this list. Maybe this will keep, maybe not. Only time will tell.

Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn’t Know: 10

Selected Favorites:
I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself - The White Stripes
Get Together - The Youngbloods
Take Me To the River - Talking Heads -somewhere in my Next Five Out
Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals

Hadn’t heard before, but liked

Hanging on the Telephone - Blondie
Don’t Look Back in Anger - Maroon 5
Be My Baby - Glasvegas
Rebel Yell - Adrenaline Mob
Cool it Now - Robbers on High Street - Plausibly my favorite new version for this round.

I had also totally forgotten about how young Tanya was when she released Delta Dawn - 13. That's amazing. I knew she was young when she released it, but I thought she was 17 or 18, probably because I have a mental link connecting her to teenage baseball pitching phenom, David Clyde, who made his MLB debut in '73 at the age of 18. That was back in my Junior Dr. Pepper Ranger membership days.
She brought up her past a lot during her show, and I think she said her dad moved them to Nashville when she was 9, cause he thought she could be a country music star. She said they were poor so they had nothing to lose. He hitched his dreams to her, and that is a lot of pressure for anyone let alone a kid.

I didn't know the totally tubular song "Hanging On the Telephone" by Blondie is a cover.

Cindy Incidentally is one of my favorite Faces songs, and Del Amitri does a good job on it.

I love the intro to Get Together by The Youngbloods. It captures the feeling of peace and love, especially during that era. I didn't know it is a cover. Jesse Colin Young has some good albums from the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:
In regard to Kashmir, I like Dave Matthews better with Tim Reynolds than I do with his DMB. I've seen him three times perform with Tim Reynolds at Farm Aids, and I like their acoustic music together.

Buddy Holly puts his signature sound on this Rave On cover with the Crickets. I'd never heard the original, so I listened to it, and favor Buddy's version. This song reminds me of doing welcome parties at a resort in Florida, and when we did the 50s theme, people loved the Buddy Holly tunes. I hated having to wear a poodle skirt. I liked doing The Stroll.

Still digging the second helping of Der Kommisar in town. wa-uh-oh

This version of Rebel Yell rocks as much as the original. 🎸 This song brings back great memories.

In regard to Kashmir, I like Dave Matthews better with Tim Reynolds than I do with his DMB. I've seen him three times perform with Tim Reynolds at Farm Aids, and I like their acoustic music together.

Buddy Holly puts his signature sound on this Rave On cover with the Crickets. I'd never heard the original, so I listened to it, and favor Buddy's version. This song reminds me of doing welcome parties at a resort in Florida, and when we did the 50s theme, people loved the Buddy Holly tunes. I hated having to wear a poodle skirt. I liked doing The Stroll.

Still digging the second helping of Der Kommisar in town. wa-uh-oh

This version of Rebel Yell rocks as much as the original. 🎸 This song brings back great memories.
Good thing Tim's part of the band now :wink:

Ilov80s was gracious enough to break up my Hipple.

I am currently listening to Marquee Moon (again). There's been a big debate over the specific release I just purchased and the original version. In the original version, the guitars and everything are apparently much brighter than in this re-release. Some critic asked a legitimate question, in my opinion: How much should an artist's original intent be taken into consideration when it comes to remixing or remastering the album? In this case, we don't know Tom Verlaine's intent. How much can you infer? What should you infer? It's a great little conundrum that sums up hermeneutics in a bit of a nutshull, only it's not a text, but a record. And the records—I have a 2012 cut from the original—sound different. I prefer, like many, the brightness of the original master/mix.

Anyway, just thought that was interesting and figured this was the place for it. The guitars really are at the fore of Marquee Moon. The newest master, while great, is definitely different in that bass is brought more to the fore.

@Oliver Humanzee would probably have thoughts - perhaps more thoughts than you'd like - on this. :)

On an adjacent note, another special guest recently at my current Beatles class was engineer/producer Ken Scott, and there was a lot of fascinating (to me) discussion of re-releases (not just Beatles but generally) and how and to what extent to use modern technology on these older recordings. He's insistent that the old mono recordings should only be released in mono, which I know you and I touched on before.

@Oliver Humanzee would probably have thoughts - perhaps more thoughts than you'd like - on this. :)

I'd love to hear them. I should correct myself, though. I don't have an original pressing copy. Those go for over a hundred bucks in good condition. I have a 2012 copy that was analog sourced but is considered "bright" and somewhat on par with the original. It's not what collectors crave, though. They want the 1977 pristine recording.

He's insistent that the old mono recordings should only be released in mono, which I know you and I touched on before.

Yeah, I think they'd naturally sound better in mono given that it's how they were recorded. Anything stereo after that would seem to be artificial.

Actually, I was just looking up the Chuck Jackson version, but see now that Wiki says that was first recorded, but then first release was by Tommy Hunt. So, a change in original artist from what I had put down.

I’ve been duped. The original artist is actually Anni-Frid Lyngstad or Frida, although written by the usual Abba team. It was on her 1975 sold album and sung in Swedish. Abba then rerecorded and reinterpreted the lyrics in 1976.

Africa - Mike Masse and Jeff Hall (Toto)
Song: two votes, two versions
Cover artist: first vote for each
Original artist: first vote

The two votes are reflected in the song but not in the original artist.

Thanks! Cleanup commencing on these.

29.ee - Frank Black - "Hang On to Your Ego" (The Beach Boys cover)

The original:
Brian Wilson wrote the original about LSD but the title and lyrics were altered to the more inspirational "I Know There's an Answer" for its initial release on side two of Pet Sounds. A demo version with the original lyrics appeared on the CD reissue of the album in 1990. Both Beach Boys versions share a beautiful and unique arrangement with Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine sharing lead vocals and a bass harmonica solo that sounds like a kazoo.

The cover: Frank Black covered the song in 1993 on his debut solo album after breaking up The Pixies. His version rocks much harder than the original with a sound that's reminiscent of his old band along with some Krautrock influences. Underlying it all is a cool little Eurodisco synthesizer riff courtesy of Eric Drew Feldman who arranged and produced the record and is a longtime resident of my neighborhood.

Is the cover better than the original?: As much as I love the first Frank Black album, we're talking about Pet ####in' Sounds here. Things might be a little closer if "Hang On to Your Ego" was a track off a different Beach Boys album but the original takes the honors pretty handily.

I really enjoy your format for these. :thumbup: And this song was among my very few new favorites of the 29s.

Cool it Now - Robbers on High Street (New Edition)

I bought the debut CD from Robbers on High Street when it first came out in 2005, at a time that I was still grabbing anything from the NYC indie/dancepunk scene that popped across my radar. After putting my list of covers together, I went back and listed to their record - didn't recognize a single track. Their cover of Cool It Now, on the other hand, has stuck with me since Q magazine highlighted it on their "10 new tracks to listen to this month" list a couple of years later. I'm happy though that the band was wise enough to not re-create the rap interludes - "Ronnie, Bobby, Rickie and Mike, if I love the girl who cares who you like?"

Song: Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right

Artist: Elvis Presley

Original Artist: Bob Dylan

Original song facts:

"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" is a song written by Bob Dylan in 1962 and released the following year on his second album, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, and as the b-side of the single "Blowin' in the Wind". The melody is based on the public domain traditional song "Who's Gonna Buy Your Chickens When I'm Gone", which was taught to Dylan by folksinger Paul Clayton.

Interesting facts about the cover:

The Elvis version was recorded in 1971 during a break in his recording of a Christmas album and features his core band including legendary guitarist James Burton.

I also like your formatting.

Now I feel like I'm leaving out great formatting comments and shouldn't have made that one to Eephus.

Anyway, love the formatting and the cover was good, too.

Speaking of formatting...

ANNOUNCE:

Starting with the four-pointers, I'm introducing a new formatting of the data for original artists. I hesitated to do this at first because of the Bob Dylan and Abba stuff (and probably others), but whatever. Guess I'll do the cover artists this way, too. Oh, and the songs. Anyway, here's an example from the three-pointers:

David Watts - The Jam (The Kinks)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: three votes total – Apeman (1); Act Nice and Gentle (1); David Watts (1) <--- NEW FORMAT

#29 Torn - Natalie Imbruglia (Lis Sorenson)
Original: Spotify ; Youtube

I'll be honest by noting that I didn't know this was a cover until I was doing research for this countdown. So it's possible this is(/was) the case for others too. Or that this will appear higher in lists (like I expect for my #28. But I get ahead of myself). Or both! Anyway, this was first recorded in Danish by Lis Sorsenson, though the Ednaswap (English) version is likely slightly better known, considering the song was written by two of its members. There was a time in the late 90s to early 2000s this song was hard to escape, and there was a time that I was rather sick of it. Time healed that wound somewhat, though. I mean, it's necessarily a song I'll seek out, but one that I still respect and enjoy. You know, in case reaching #29 didn't clue you in on that.

I considered this one, but it didn't make my list because, like you, I don't seek it out. A rare instance of an overplayed song with a female singer that I still love, though. :)

I found the 29s to be the best yet. The highlights for me:

Songs I knew the originals and the covers:

Don Quixote: Be My Baby - Glasvegas (The Ronettes): This one was in my first 5 out but really should have made my 31. All those JaMC-type bands love to pay tribute to Ronnie.

John Maddens Lunchbox: Money Changes Everything - Cyndi Lauper (The Brains) - my favorite Cyndi Lauper song.

rockaction: Der Kommissar – After The Fire (Falco) - Definitely prefered the ATF version. Not sure how much of it was b/c of Falco's terrible video.

Val Rannous: Walk This Way - Run-D.M.C. ft. Aerosmith (Aerosmith) - A song whose greatness is only surpassed by its influence.

Songs I knew the covers but not the originals

Mister CIA: Delta Dawn - Tanya Tucker (Bette Midler) - Tanya Tucker was my first crush. Along with Sandra Locke and Pam Dawber. Not sure what I was going for at 7 years old.

Ilov80s: I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself - The White Stripes (Chuck Jackson)

krista4: Rave On – Buddy Holly (Sonny West) - had no idea this was a cover

Uruk-Hai: We're All Alone - Rita Coolidge (Boz Scaggs) - Rita crushed this.

Mt. Man: Torn - Natalie Imbruglia (Lis Sorenson) - Only new this was a cover b/c of a podcast that's in my rotation. Natalie's version is the best of the bunch.

Chaos34: Under The Milky Way - Tearwave (The Church) - my favorite from this round.

Songs I knew the originals but not the covers

shuke: Corona - Calexico (Minutemen) - loved this.

simey: Willin' (live at Television Center Studios) - Linda Ronstadt (Johnny Darrell)

Songs I didn't know at all but really liked

simsarge: Cindy Incidentally - Del Amitri (Faces)

landrys hat: Act Nice and Gentle - The Black Keys (The Kinks)

On an adjacent note, another special guest recently at my current Beatles class was engineer/producer Ken Scott, and there was a lot of fascinating (to me) discussion of re-releases (not just Beatles but generally) and how and to what extent to use modern technology on these older recordings. He's insistent that the old mono recordings should only be released in mono, which I know you and I touched on before.

Big fan of Ken Scott's work. The clean trebley guitar sound is an important part of Bowie's early 70s masterpieces. I also love the albums he produced for Supertramp.

shuke: Corona - Calexico (Minutemen)

I know everyone recognizes this as the Jackass song, but it's really more than just that. And I love this cover with the horns.

Well, not everyone. But I've never seen Jackass.

This was my favorite new-to-me song on the #29s. While this playlist had more already-known favorites, the new-to-me ones have me thump-thump-Thumpering a lot. On the positive side, I didn't know I needed covers of the Simpsons theme, but they were both good, especially the Danny Gatton. I also hit a nice four-song run of new favorites from "I Just Don't Know What To Do with Myself" through "Hang On to Your Ego" and "Let Down," finishing with "Get Together," which I also did not know was a cover. (Binky seems to be particularly good at this aspect of the countdown.) "Cool It Now" was also...errr, cool.

We saw Tucker a few years back at a festival. I don't know how much she's simmered down because she sure talked a lot about drinking tequila.

Big fan of Ken Scott's work. The clean trebley guitar sound is an important part of Bowie's early 70s masterpieces. I also love the albums he produced for Supertramp.

He was an absolutely delightful guy, too. Great British humo(u)r, very outspoken but gracious and humble, too. He's still working and utilizing newer technologies but was very blunt about when he thought something was garbage.

We saw Tucker a few years back at a festival. I don't know how much she's simmered down because she sure talked a lot about drinking tequila.
Yeah, "Tanya" and "simmer down" may mean different things to mere mortals.

Scroll down a little. It's the third one down, after Robert Becerra and Mark Adams.

Oh, thank you. Yep. See it now. My scroller goes on the fritz every so often. I use the middle part of the mouse and use it so frequently it doesn't respond at times.

Users who are viewing this thread