What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Pittsburgh to host 2026 NFL Draft (3 Viewers)

They have to bring someone in.

They DO...but <hork>

So here we are with the hope that Kenny can keep someone like an aging and mediocre tannehill on the bench.

I dont have a ton of hope he can. That's the rub.

Fully expect Tanny's a Steeler come training camp, and starting more games than anyone wants in '24.
I know. But if tannehill is where it ends up why poop on it when the other option is a failing Kenny all year? Nice to dream of something "splashy" but that's all that it is, a dream. It's not going to happen. All of the chips are on Kenny and the hedge is going to be someone on the cheap.
I would agree with what you are saying and I'll just add if we ended up signing him I can't have an opinion on it until I know the money. As in I think he's a good addition if the money is right.

Its certainly possible to be "okay" if its cheap enough. I just hate that they have put themselves in a position to even have to consider it.

NFL.com insiders Tom Pelissero, Ian Rapoport, and Mike Garafolo speculating / reading between the tea leaves. It's obvious that the Steeler's aren't making Mason a priority. Otherwise, they'd look to lock him up and Mike T would go out of his way to say that Mason is the starter. Last year no one in the league was interested in signing Mason. This year will be a different story. There's a number of team's that could use his services. He's definitely a better option than Ryan Tannehill. You could argue that depending on the best available player at their draft spot that the Steeler's could draft someone to compete for the starting job or pick someone up in the later rounds to be the 3rd string QB.

If it's true and the NFL.com insiders are in the know that Mason wants to move on. I can easily envision that it goes something like this. Another team reached out to Mason's agent expressed interest. Mason looking at it from the perspective that another organization, GM, head coach and OC are actively recruiting him behind the scenes and showing some love. Actively trying not to build up a bidding war. If Russell Wilson wasn't a Broncos or if Russell gets cut, why would he not want to choose Denver. The Steeler's are not in the driver's seat here unless they lock him up ASAP. I feel as if the Steeler's are leaking out information to deter Mason from coming back.

If it's true Arthur Smith wants Ryan T and we all know that Mike T wants football justice for Kenny P. Steeler's fans could be forced to watch pre-season battle of the uninspiring and the start of bickering between Mike and Arthur over their guy. Imagine Mason doing well in 2024 for another team. Steeler's have another the non-standard is the non-standard season. Then the boo birds will be out in full reign.

I honestly believe that the Steeler's need to bring back Mason. It's in their best interest. If the story line was Mitch Trubisky looking at a fresh start, then that's a different story. I have some concern that if Mason moves on. That the Steeler's might keep Mitch. But he's such an obvious cut. Dumbest Steeler's move was Mitch's 2023 extension which runs through 2025. 2023 Extension: The Steelers extended his contract for 2 years, bringing the total to 3 years. The deal is worth $11.25 million, with a $6.92 million signing bonus. The contract could be worth up to $33 million with incentives.

Please cut the Punter spend some money on an existing free agent Punter in the league.

Last edited:
I hate to bring this into play, but I think there are deeper issues why the Steelers don't like Mason..
Ben dogged him in his early years.
Lainey Wilson's husband in 2019 challenged him for playing time and started a number of games.
Kenny Pickett arrives at Pitt in 2017. Steeler's brass became enamored of him. Due Kenny playing 5 years at Pitt. If Kenny leaves Pitt after his 4th year, he's lucky if he gets drafted. He passed for 42 touchdowns in his last season. The previous ones he passed for about 1 TD a game. Finishes 3rd in the Heisman.
Mike T want's football justice for Kenny P. Steelers are still hoping that Kenny is the guy. After 25 games Kenny is not the guy. However, the Steeler's brass isn't as smart as the 49'ers who moved on from Trey Lance and Jimmy G for Brock Purdy.

Mason could have been just unlucky. But he saved the Steeler's 2023 season. Got them out of that massive rut that Mitch dug us into.

Does anyone have credible sources for Mason Rudolph not wanting to return? Sounds like insane speculation to me.
This "could" be speculation but sounds like it's more than that.

Rudolph, who will be a free agent next month, has indicated he’s interested in a fresh start after six seasons with the team that drafted him in the third round in 2018.

To my knowledge, Mason Rudolph hasn't said this publicly so it is unclear to me how he "indicated" it. After the season Rudolph said that he loved being a Steeler and did not rule out a return. Now he certainly could have changed his mind since then but he hasn't come out and said it.

If it's true Arthur Smith wants Ryan T and we all know that Mike T wants football justice for Kenny P. Steeler's fans could be forced to watch pre-season battle of the uninspiring and the start of bickering between Mike and Arthur over their guy. Imagine Mason doing well in 2024 for another team. Steeler's have another the non-standard is the non-standard season. Then the boo birds will be out in full reign.

I honestly believe that the Steeler's need to bring back Mason. It's in their best interest. If the story line was Mitch Trubisky looking at a fresh start, then that's a different story. I have some concern that if Mason moves on. That the Steeler's might keep Mitch. But he's such an obvious cut. Dumbest Steeler's move was Mitch's 2023 extension which runs through 2025. 2023 Extension: The Steelers extended his contract for 2 years, bringing the total to 3 years. The deal is worth $11.25 million, with a $6.92 million signing bonus. The contract could be worth up to $33 million with incentives.

I am certainly not looking forward to a Kenny P and Ryan T QB combo for the 2024 Steelers. However if they use the draft and offseason to solidify the offensive line and defense then I'll be okay if with a crappy 2024 season so they can get an early draft pick in 2025 to select a potential franchise QB.

Does anyone have credible sources for Mason Rudolph not wanting to return? Sounds like insane speculation to me.

Rudolph, who will be a free agent next month, has indicated he’s interested in a fresh start after six seasons with the team that drafted him in the third round in 2018.

To my knowledge, Mason Rudolph hasn't said this publicly so it is unclear to me how he "indicated" it. After the season Rudolph said that he loved being a Steeler and did not rule out a return. Now he certainly could have changed his mind since then but he hasn't come out and said it.
I doubt he would say that publicly. He's probably discussed it with his agent who then shared it with "insiders". If he gets an offer with a real shot at competition he's more likely to be gone than he is to stay because he's not getting a real shot in Pittsburgh.

I doubt he would say that publicly. He's probably discussed it with his agent who then shared it with "insiders". If he gets an offer with a real shot at competition he's more likely to be gone than he is to stay because he's not getting a real shot in Pittsburgh.
If I was Mason, I'd be looking for a fresh start if the money is comparable. He's only gotten playing time as a last resort. It's clear the coaching staff does not see him as an answer.

Tannehill is washed, signing him feels like a waste of money. The only justification I could see is if he's purely being brought in to mentor/back up Kenny, and that would be an overpay.

It feels like a bad idea that is already inevitable unless he retires.

@steelers1080 Reposting your stellar message from the 2023 thread. Cuts underway and 3 of your top group gone in a hurry. If you repost your message, I'll delete this one. Nice to track moves from your list.

So, Pick 20. All we need is a QB, Center, OT, ILB, CB, WR, DL, and Safety.

We're currently over the projected cap. There's moves to be made to save cap space:
  • Cut Mitch - Save $3 mil
  • Cut A-Rob (Sorry A-rob) - Save $10 mil
  • Cut Chuks - Save $8.8 mil
  • Cut Mason Cole - Save $5 mil
  • Cut Harvin - Save $1 mil
  • Cut Peterson - Save $8 mil
  • Cam Heyward retires - Save $16 mil, but that would be sad
  • Extend James Daniels - Current Cap Hit $11 mil, could reduce by ~$5 mil easily
  • Restructure TJ - Move $6 mil (Could be restructured, traded, or extended; I'd leave this contract alone)
  • Projected salary Cap in 2024 is $240 mil, if we save $61.8 we'd be at ~$189 mil
  • The Steelers don't currently have any players we NEED to re-sign. We already have 41 signed, though I do list a few cuts and extensions.
This would leave us with:
  • QB - KP; Draft rookie and re-sign Mason
  • RB - Najee & Warren; 3rd RB undrafted FA
  • WR - Diontae, George, and Calvin Austin; need 2 WRs
  • TE - Pat F (final year), Darnell and Connor Heyward; TE room is solid
  • OT - Broderick Jones and Dan Moore; need OT to upgrade over Dan Moore, hopefully move Jones to LT
  • G - Daniels (final year) and Isaac Seumalo, and Herbig/Anderson; Depth if not extending Daniels
  • C - Herbig/nobody; Upgrade center at all costs
  • DL - Larry O, Benton, Leal, Loudermilk; becomes a need if Heyward is gone
  • OLB - Watt, Highsmith, Herbig; Solid
  • ILB - Holcomb, Roberts, Robinson; Need a great ILB so that Holcomb/Roberts can rotate and we have our own on-field general
  • S - Minkah, Kazee, Neal, Thompson; Could use upgrade at S over Neal/Kazee
  • CB - Porter, Trice; Need 2 CBs, 1 starter
  • K - Bos
Lots of needs, but some of them are just preference. The biggest holes are QB and Center, and honestly if we upgrade Center, LT, and OC, we'd improve greatly even with the same QBs (not Trubisky).

Some guy I think it was Adam Schefter was on the Pat McAfee and said Tomlin wants Justin Fields..
As a Bears fan, who likes the Steelers as my AFC team, Justin Fields would certainly be a better option than rolling with Rudolph. Especially if the price was a 2, or even a 3rd+. This isn't Trubisky all over again (which was an obvious bad move at the time) Fields is a playmaker, who instantly elevates the running game, and the deep passing game (great fit for Pickens.) He needs work on some of the shorter stuff, but that's a lot easier to fix than it is to make someone faster, or stronger armed. Fields OC was probably as bad as Canada was, and Arthur Smith could certainly run his ball control deep shot offense with a QB who averages 51 YPG rushing on 6.2 YPC. Fields also had some horrible supporting casts. His passer rating to DJ Moore and Cole Kmet this year was 131.8, it was rubbish when throwing to guys like Tyler Scott, and Robert Tonyan. The Steelers obviously have better weapons with Diontae, Pickens, Freiermuth, and very good pass catching RBs.

Personally, I do still think Kenny Pickett could be fine, I put a ton on Canada, and I truly believe he would have been as good or better than Rudolph down the stretch had he not gotten hurt, but it does very much feel like they want to turn the page there.

I kinda think Tannehill might end up staying in Tennessee. I don't see any team giving him a starting job, so why not stay and be Will Levis mentor/insurance policy? Russell Wilson could be interesting too, but I feel like that's more of a Band-Aid solution, though probably the highest floor 2024 option.

Some guy I think it was Adam Schefter was on the Pat McAfee and said Tomlin wants Justin Fields..
As a Bears fan, who likes the Steelers as my AFC team, Justin Fields would certainly be a better option than rolling with Rudolph. Especially if the price was a 2, or even a 3rd+. This isn't Trubisky all over again (which was an obvious bad move at the time) Fields is a playmaker, who instantly elevates the running game, and the deep passing game (great fit for Pickens.) He needs work on some of the shorter stuff, but that's a lot easier to fix than it is to make someone faster, or stronger armed. Fields OC was probably as bad as Canada was, and Arthur Smith could certainly run his ball control deep shot offense with a QB who averages 51 YPG rushing on 6.2 YPC. Fields also had some horrible supporting casts. His passer rating to DJ Moore and Cole Kmet this year was 131.8, it was rubbish when throwing to guys like Tyler Scott, and Robert Tonyan. The Steelers obviously have better weapons with Diontae, Pickens, Freiermuth, and very good pass catching RBs.

Personally, I do still think Kenny Pickett could be fine, I put a ton on Canada, and I truly believe he would have been as good or better than Rudolph down the stretch had he not gotten hurt, but it does very much feel like they want to turn the page there.

I kinda think Tannehill might end up staying in Tennessee. I don't see any team giving him a starting job, so why not stay and be Will Levis mentor/insurance policy? Russell Wilson could be interesting too, but I feel like that's more of a Band-Aid solution, though probably the highest floor 2024 option.
apparently Fields biggest issue on short passes is footwork. often doesn't align his feet on those short throws which causes some wild misses & not leading the receiver being off target. also tends to drift in the pocket (usually to his left) while going through progressions. makes the LT job much harder which is a MAJOR issue in Pittsburgh. nothing close to as bad a Pickett's patented spin move to the left out of a clean pocket.

whether it's chicago, pittsburgh or elsewhere, hopefully his QB coach drills the footwork with him all offseason. break those habits and he should see a big return in production.

coaching wise, arthur smith's wide zone moves the pocket around naturally which would help slow down the rush as well.

It was schefter and I believe what he said is 1) the Steelers are going to get a QB from outside the organization, 2) he likes fields. Nothing really new. He is trying hard to tie them together though.

apparently Fields biggest issue on short passes is footwork. often doesn't align his feet on those short throws which causes some wild misses & not leading the receiver being off target. also tends to drift in the pocket (usually to his left) while going through progressions. makes the LT job much harder which is a MAJOR issue in Pittsburgh. nothing close to as bad a Pickett's patented spin move to the left out of a clean pocket.

whether it's chicago, pittsburgh or elsewhere, hopefully his QB coach drills the footwork with him all offseason. break those habits and he should see a big return in production.

coaching wise, arthur smith's wide zone moves the pocket around naturally which would help slow down the rush as well.

He also needs to clean up the fumbles.

He also needs to clean up the fumbles.
He doesn't lose many fumbles though. He did clean it up a little bit overall this year. I mean he went from the most in 2022 to the 9th most this year, but he's only lost 6 fumbles the last 2 seasons. Which is less than guys like Kirk Cousins, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts or Josh Allen, and a lot less than Trevor Lawrence who I would very much argue Fields is better than. That argument is more about Lawrence being vastly overrated than Fields though.

Its great theyve recovered a lot of his fumbles. Not fumbling in the first place would be better.

Putting it on the ground a dozen times a year isnt a positive just because half get recovered. IMO, of course.

Its great theyve recovered a lot of his fumbles. Not fumbling in the first place would be better.

Putting it on the ground a dozen times a year isnt a positive just because half get recovered. IMO, of course.
Ideally, he wouldn't fumble at all, but I think it's a big enough sample size that it's not a fluke that the defense isn't recovering them. Much of that is likely because the fumbles aren't happening so as much on strip sacks in the pocket but are happening more downfield and often by the sidelines. Not saying it's a positive, but I think its overblown as a negative.

I hate to bring this into play, but I think there are deeper issues why the Steelers don't like Mason..

There are things Mason believes in or follows that aren’t valued The Steelers way IMO.

Stop beating around the bush - what are you hinting at?
I think if you research on Rudolph and his family you can come to the conclusion.
iT's NoT mY JoB tO eDuCaTe yOu.

I can't find anything, but I'm only using Google and very basic searches. If I need to do more to find it than that then it probably isn't happening.

I doubt the Steelers care much about Mason being a bible banger, or he wouldnt have been drafted. He certainly isnt their first. Are his family members snake handler's or something? 🤣 I dont care enough to check.

Their alleged interest in other players probably has more to do with him being a pretty fungible QB.

Last edited:
I doubt the Steelers care much about Mason being a bible banger, or he wouldnt have been drafted. He certainly isnt their first. Are his family members snake handler's or something? 🤣 I dont care enough to check.

Their alleged interest in other players probably has more to do with him being pretty a fungible QB.

So we're supposed to believe that Rudolph was overlooked in Pittsburgh because he is a Christian?

Their alleged interest in other players probably has more to do with him being pretty a fungible QB.

So we're supposed to believe that Rudolph was overlooked in Pittsburgh because he is a Christian?
ESPECIALLY this guy

Um no.
There are other things out there concerning Mason and his fam that have leaked over the years and bible thumping ain't it.

I'M certainly not asking you to believe that. Ask the gentleman from Thunder Bay.

Im fairly certain Rudolph was "overlooked" because he sort of sucks. Based on his last foray into FA, the league seemingly agrees. A decent three game stretch didnt really change my mind about him.

"Better than Mitch" is faint praise. I feel the same way about Pickett. They need to do better at QB.

Um no.
There are other things out there concerning Mason and his fam that have leaked over the years and bible thumping ain't it.

"Welllll? We're waaaiting,!" 🤣

Him being a s***** quarterback is enough for me to want him as a former Steeler. Dont need any other reason, really.

Um no.

Him being a s***** quarterback is enough for me to want him as a former Steeler. Dont need any other reason, really.
Won't repeat what I saw on a message board or past tweets that Mr. Rudolph 'liked' but it wasn't anything to do with bible thumping. Never heard that one.

Um no.

Won't repeat what I saw on a message board or past tweets that Mr. Rudolph 'liked' but it wasn't anything to do with bible thumping. Never heard that one.

Fair enough. So likely racist/"Trumpy"/ discriminatory. stuff. Gotcha.

Hes been "thumpy" since college (probably longer), fwiw. Never been a secret.

Um no.

His political leanings etc. are probably the same as at least 50% of the NFL players and 90% of ownership.

I suck at googling apparently, all I see is stuff on his strong religious beliefs.

And if it was that bad why they resign him Twice

The police should be called bc TJ Watt has just been absolutely ROBBED.
It was always going to be the case that Garrett was going to win. Really happy for Cam though winning the Walter Payton award.
May I ask - Why?
Both what Grid posted and an "if not now when" mentality. The writers wanted to give it to him and they made up their minds halfway through the season. And the "best player on the best defense" thinking as well. Best defense being subjective of course.
JJ Watt thought his brother should get it but he didn't have a prob with Myles winning. He had plenty to say about how difficult it is for Myles and the average person just doesn't see it. I think he wanted to say it was like him versus his bro.
Baldy? Someone else was chatting about Big Jeff and Myles and said how they get blocked by three and four players and don't get a sack, fans get upset.

I suck at googling apparently, all I see is stuff on his strong religious beliefs.

And if it was that bad why they resign him Twice
Yeah I can’t find anything other than the Jesus stuff and the alleged racial slur (which was never substantiated) against Myles. Meh - I guess we won’t find out because certain posters are refusing to elaborate for some reason.

A lot of talk Arthur Smith is pushing the team to bring in Ryan Tannehill..
They have to bring someone in. Can't (shouldn't, better not) bring back Mitch. Mason is more likely to leave than come back. More and more I feel like they're not going to make a move for someone like Fields, and they're not going to trade up for one of the top draft QBs. So here we are with the hope that Kenny can keep someone like an aging and mediocre tannehill on the bench.
Mitch is gone for sure. Cap savings is the clincher.
Pickett is a bust well on his way to third stringer territory

Does anyone have credible sources for Mason Rudolph not wanting to return? Sounds like insane speculation to me. It’s no secret he is night vs day better than Kenny. That makes him a lock as QB 1 or 2. Depends upon who else is signed or drafted.
I haven't seen Rudolph not wanting to return and I go to OK State boards where they have every article/discussion on every former player.
Tannehill hasn't been good the last two years and made 35 mil last year. When and if his agent comes down to earth, he'd probably be considered. I'd expect it to be months for crow to be eaten.
I'd predict the Steelers and most teams work out their QB position before that and he has a hard time finding a team.
Not playing well for two years at 35 is generally the kiss of death for careers in the NFL.
He would be very good for the Steelers in camp, idk regular season, but definitely in camp. The former WR does a great job working with an explaining to WRs- AJB and Davis complimented him pretty often. Just this is what I'm looking at, looking for. Little details or nuances. He and Nuk did it this past summer. Nuk waived his arms a few times cancelling a play, Tannehill audibled. That whole back n forth has to be great for any QB WR relationship and a guy like Pickens- he'd know what's what and not just whine he's not getting the ball. He'd turn to constructive mentality.

But again, I lean towards him struggling to find work. I'd pencil him in as some added offensive assistant coach role before I see the Steelers paying him 25 mil

Mitch is officially gone. “Mutually parting ways” per Garafalo.
That's always good.
New staff came in, old staff watched tape and returned.
Every team met Monday w players to hand out (very minimal depth) playbooks and discuss diet n rest n workouts for the off-season. Head coaches lead this meeting too.

Anyone not on board should be let go.
The timing of it tells ya Trubisky didn't fit in with something and it doesn't really matter what just...ok pack your bags.

Same with the RT backup. If Tomlin didn't like his attitude or commitment or whatever, adios.

It's not challenging to replace backups either

Get Bracie out of here with that Myles Garrett ********. He's (Bracie) been pulling the same stuff for years with that unsubstantiated ****. He came into the Jets thread when Garrett broke Siemian's leg to talk about what a great guy Myles Garrett is.

It's ******** and Bracie pulls it every time. Like cats to catnip.

The alleged racial slur according to Myles Garret in this video occurred as he was taking down Mason Rudolph. Steelers Feiler and Decastro were very close in proximity to Mason and Myles neither heard the alleged slur. No Pittsburgh Steeler or Cleveland Brown substantiated the alleged slur. Mike Tomlin's viewpoint in this thread. The NFL investigated and found no evidence of the alleged racial slur. Myles role in the incident(ripping off Mason's helmet) resulted in an indefinite suspension that ended up costing him 6-games and 1.2 million dollars.

Maurkice Pouncey suspended for 2 games and Larry Ogunjobi(then a brown and now a Steeler) were suspended for 1 game due to fighting after the play. There are comments in the video that one could point out. But if you don't believe Myles Garrett then what's the point of harping on something that most likely didn't occur.

Last but not least if you don't like what someone is posting in forums the simplest thing to do is to simply ignore them. Click on their username and then click ignore and/or report them if their post is egregious or threatening.

Last edited:
The Steelers need another veteran QB on the roster whether it is Rudolph, Tannehill, Fields or someone else. Whether or not Rudolph signs with the Steelers will simply come down to 1) will the Steelers extend an offer and 2) will Rudolph get a better offer from another team. Of course Rudolph will also consider his chance to get an opportunity to be the starter with whatever team that gives him an offer.

I don't think the Myles Garrett incident that happened years ago or a twitter that Rudolph might have liked will be a factor at all.

Users who are viewing this thread