What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

I enjoy reading about everyone's 2024 Resolve and their findings! Me personally for 2024, I am done doing the chase. I am no longer going to drive miles out of my way IN SEARCH for that unicorn allocated bottle that ends up not being there, or way too expensive. I have a few local stores that I like to patron. And I will always visit stores in my travels, just to see what they have. I like to look for store picks as well...however I am pretty selective about those. In 2024, I am going to drink the available stuff and be happy with it.

I've been seeing the secondary market start to deflate a little bit. So I hope that makes certain bourbons and whiskies a bit more available and attainable to those of us who actually like to drink what we purchase.

Last edited:
I've got 8 bottles already waiting for me at my hotel in Tokyo. 3 bottles each of Wild Turkey 12 and Evans Williams 12, and 2 bottles of Eagle Rare.

I'll probably keep a bottle of each of the 12-years and try to take advantage of the rarity (and high secondary values) to flip the others for some other hard-to-find stuff.

ETA: Hoping to find some Japan-only Blanton's red/black when I'm over there, too.

@Peak - at that price point another two I would try it Cooper Craft (100 proof) and Early Times BiB.

Thanks for the recommendation on Cooper Craft. That was the one I received at Xmas and really enjoy it! I'll pick up some of the other options suggested later (probably 1 per month). But definitely a good start!

Store Pick Hunt Update #1:

Friday - Store #1, haven't been there in almost a year. They had a few picks (Four Roses OBSQ, Old Elk Wheated, Rittenhouse Rye, Clyde Mays 6yr, Peerless Rye). While I sampled a couple (the Old Elk was fantastic) we started chatting about their frequency of store picks, what they've picked before, what's upcoming, etc. and I asked if they ever picked any Old Forester barrels as I've never seen an OF SiB pick anywhere near me. They said they did one 2021 and were planning on doing another one Fall 2024. One of the workers wandered off to help another customer, and as I was tasting the last sample she walked back over and plunked down a beautiful blue label Old Forester Single Barrel Barrel Strength (130.1 proof) bottle on the counter in front of me. She said they had 3 bottles of it tucked in the back somewhere from their 2021 pick. I had to buy it at that point.

Also Friday - Store #2 (never been to this one) and while parking I saw two different people carrying bottles out to their car in an Eagle Rare box. Noticed more ER boxes stacked up behind the register. So I asked the clerk (turns out she's the owner's daughter) if they'd gotten in a big shipment of it and maybe had any bottles left. She told me they had an ER store pick delivered on Wednesday (2 days prior), and even with a 1 bottle limit per customer, sold out of it in 1.5 hours. The only store pick I've ever been able to nab from BT was a Blanton's once.... So the hunt continues...

Got lucky this year...

I don't even really buy bourbon anymore. Grabbed a WFP and Blantons just to replace two I gave away as gifts.

Got my call my from shop for allocation season... he lets me know he can't get me my annual WLW (sad) but asked if I wanted the ER17?

😳 Yes please!

This year's ER17 is actually comprised of the oldest stuff ever bottled as ER17... the youngest barrel is 19 years / 3 months old.

They also bottle it at 101pf now (which is way better than the old 90).

Cracked it wt the store and tasted with my two guys up there, Holeeeeeey **** it's good. I've been actively trying to trade a WLW for another but can't find any takers.

This is a monster sip if you have the chance. One of the very few I'd pay inflated bar pricing for.

Got lucky this year...

I don't even really buy bourbon anymore. Grabbed a WFP and Blantons just to replace two I gave away as gifts.

Got my call my from shop for allocation season... he lets me know he can't get me my annual WLW (sad) but asked if I wanted the ER17?

😳 Yes please!

This year's ER17 is actually comprised of the oldest stuff ever bottled as ER17... the youngest barrel is 19 years / 3 months old.

They also bottle it at 101pf now (which is way better than the old 90).

Cracked it wt the store and tasted with my two guys up there, Holeeeeeey **** it's good. I've been actively trying to trade a WLW for another but can't find any takers.

This is a monster sip if you have the chance. One of the very few I'd pay inflated bar pricing for.
icon is back in the bourbon thread babay!!!!! This is level of bourbon hunter I hope to get to one day o_O

Level 1 - buy a bottle off the shelf, pay and leave
Level 2 - chat with them a bit, shop there regularly, and get access to Weller SR and Eagle Rare not on the shelf because the owners know you a little bit
Level 3 - [my level] you get access to Weller Antique or maybe Stagg Jr. from the owner
Level 4 - you get to see (and purchase) almost everything not on the shelf
Level 5 - you can purchase Pappy or BTAC but at double MSRP, or secondary price
Level 6 - you get a call or text from the owner when he gets in a Pappy or BTAC or something super allocated
Level 7 - [icon]'s level - your store owner calls you to come get your annual WLW (or ER17 in this case)

Lol it ain't quite like that, just lucky I got into the game early 😂

What's everyone else's thoughts on the Yellowstone 101 limited edition? Came across one and was very pleasantly surprised.
Saw the 2023 version in my local store over Christmas but it was a little over $100 iirc. I've liked the other Yellowstone stuff I've had before especially the 119 proof store picks, but I'm not big on wine finishes (tokaji cask I think it was) so I passed on it. What year is yours?

I hope Stagg isn't all that, because I've officially given up trying to get a bottle. There was an allocated drop in VA Saturday and it was in the 20s so I got to the store about 9:15. I was number 15 in line for the 10am opening. The store only had five bottles, so the people that got there at 6:00am with chairs and a kerosene heater got them. No way I'm standing in line four hours.

I hope Stagg isn't all that, because I've officially given up trying to get a bottle. There was an allocated drop in VA Saturday and it was in the 20s so I got to the store about 9:15. I was number 15 in line for the 10am opening. The store only had five bottles, so the people that got there at 6:00am with chairs and a kerosene heater got them. No way I'm standing in line four hours.
Yeah, I missed out on Stagg the one time I saw it available. I was just starting my "hunting" and ended up about 24 th in line...no chance. I showed up for an EH Taylor drop at 6:45 for a store opening at 9 hoping to get a barrel proof. I was 10th in line. They had 3 bottles. I did get an EH Taylor Single Barrel as a consolation prize, but really? 3 bottles? The dude who was 4th in line got there at 3 AM. He got the same thing I got. It is a funky system of distribution. At least in Ohio we are paying reasonable prices IF you can get what you are looking for.

The older I get, the fewer things there are that I’m willing to stand out in the elements for.

The older I get, the fewer things there are that I’m willing to stand out in the elements for.
A store about 45 min from me does a lot of store picks, and the owner made a facebook post yesterday that a "very special barrel" was dropping at noon Thursday. But he wouldn't say what it was until it arrived. So I kept tabs on facebook, figured I'd wait to hear what it was and the price and might make the drive if it was something cool.

Buddy of mine went by on his lunch break at 1:00 and the truck hadn't come. Owner posted again that it'd be later in the day. My buddy went by again after work around 6 pm and still no truck. He said there was a group of people tailgating in the parking lot with chairs that had been there since noon. Then last night the owner posted "sorry folks it'll be tomorrow, truck ran too late, my bad". My buddy said he drove past the store at 6:30 this morning on his way to work and the same group of people were camping out in the parking lot, maybe they had stayed all night :shrug:

Granted, the weather was pretty mild yesterday and overnight, in the 60's and no rain or anything, but still....and even as of this post, the owner hasn't said what the barrel is yet.

Edit: it turned out to be an Old Forester Single Barrel 100 proof (black label)

Last edited:

A store about 45 min from me does a lot of store picks, and the owner made a facebook post yesterday that a "very special barrel" was dropping at noon Thursday. But he wouldn't say what it was until it arrived. So I kept tabs on facebook, figured I'd wait to hear what it was and the price and might make the drive if it was something cool.

Buddy of mine went by on his lunch break at 1:00 and the truck hadn't come. Owner posted again that it'd be later in the day. My buddy went by again after work around 6 pm and still no truck. He said there was a group of people tailgating in the parking lot with chairs that had been there since noon. Then last night the owner posted "sorry folks it'll be tomorrow, truck ran too late, my bad". My buddy said he drove past the store at 6:30 this morning on his way to work and the same group of people were camping out in the parking lot, maybe they had stayed all night :shrug:

Granted, the weather was pretty mild yesterday and overnight, in the 60's and no rain or anything, but still....and even as of this post, the owner hasn't said what the barrel is yet.

Very special barrel had me thinking Blantons Gold.... 😂 at OF Single. No doubt it's solid drinker but cmon

Very special barrel had me thinking Blantons Gold.... 😂 at OF Single. No doubt it's solid drinker but cmon
I 100% expected it to be some sort of Buffalo Trace product - that's what the people here go nuts over. All the comments on his initial "special barrel" facebook post were speculating that it was everything from Blantons to EHT to Weller Antique or Full Proof. This same owner dropped an Eagle Rare store pick right after New Years, and with a limit of 1 bottle per person and priced at $60, it sold out in a little over an hour. In October 2023 another store dropped an Eagle Rare store pick (also $60) and didn't put a limit on it. People were in line before the store opened, and literally the first 28 people in line bought the entire barrel within 15 minutes of the store being open, just whole cases at a time. Tater love is real in MS.

Oh, and that OF barrel also sold out by 6 pm the day he dropped it, at $95/bottle.

Just got back from another weekend in the whiskey holy land. We had 21 people in our travel group and a great time was had by all.

Tours/formal tastings - Michter's, Old Forester, Angel's Envy, Whiskey Thief Distilling Co., Glenn's Creek
Other distillery stops for pours and such - Willett, Jim Beam, Woodford, Castle and Key
Restaurants - The Rickhouse, The Kitchen Table (Jim Beam distillery), Doc Crows, The Stave

A few things from my perspective from the tours/tastings...
Micther's - wasn't worth the time. I have heard much that is good about this brand, but it just doesn't do it for me. The tour was sort of a contrived mini demo of the whiskey making process. We were in Louisville, so this location is just in a downtown building on Whiskey Row. They do some limited production there, but it just felt staged. The tasting allowed us to sample 5 of their products (No 10 year to tatse or available to buy), but I found them to be very muted in flavor, very low proof, and very similar to each other. I really had no Micther's experience before this. Nothing here won me over as a customer.

Old Forester - this was an unexpected surprise and a solid tour. The coolest part of this experience was the fact that they do their own barrel making there and the whole process was included as part of the tour. We got to see it all...the barrel shaping, the toasting, the charring, the banding, the leak testing and the filling. It was a nice addition to the typical whiskey making tours. We got a guided tasting of the Whiskey Row series (not including the new 1924 unfortunately), but I was already pretty familiar with those products. I am a huge fan of the 1910. Our tour guide, Michael, was awesome.

Angel's Envy - Ho-Hum typical tour...2 unique things: they let you taste the mash in the fermenter (not pleasant) and they let you rub the head of the distillate on your hands. Smell...rub...smell...rub...smell...rub...and the nose of what you could pick up on changed significantly as you did this. The guided tasting was pretty limited...only included their 2 base products, the port finish and rye rum finish. Biggest surprise to me here was finding out the rye whiskey for the rum cask product is sourced from MGP. I did not know that previously. I also found out that Angel's Envy is now owned by the Bacardi corporation...which is the source for the rum barrels for finishing the rye. I did get to try their Cask strength versions of both the port finish and rye in the bar after the tour. They were fantastic...so much better then the lower proof decedents. Unfortunately, I just can't justify the cost of these at $230 and $270 per bottle. Glad I got a taste though, because they are much better than the base model (and I like the base models, especially the rye).

Whiskey Thief - a great experience and I would suggest a must do for anyone hitting the bourbon trail. Aside from the whiskey making tour (which was kept brief since they knew everyone has been on other tours), the tasting part made the day. You get to taste samples of 5 different whiskies drawn with a copper whiskey thief straight from the barrels. We sweet talked the young lady working there (Katie) into letting us taste a 6th barrel as well. She was awesome...so friendly and informative. She also brews beer aside from her gig here. Anyway, they are very liberal with the tastings. You can go back for seconds...and thirds...and... No one stopped us. This was our first stop of the day on Sunday, and I left there with a buzz. If you decide to purchase a bottle, 375 mL or 750 mL, you get to fill it yourself using the whiskey thief tool. I left with 2 bottles.

Glenn's Creek - another highlight of the trip...strongly recommend. We did a guided tasting there. You literally sit around the bar in the distilling room with the master distiller leading the experience. It felt like we were in his garage. He just hangs out with you casually swapping stories as he pours your samples. As he tells you stories about how he got started and learned the craft, he calls out many of the other distilleries (generically) for the BS they spread to the public about the process. He sat with us for near an hour and a half chatting it up. Every bottle we purchased, he wrote our name on it with a "Cheers" message with the date and then signed his name. The whole vibe was very cool and personal.

Last edited:
Just got back from another weekend in the whiskey holy land. We had 21 people in our travel group and a great time was had by all.

Tours/formal tastings - Michter's, Old Forester, Angel's Envy, Whiskey Thief Distilling Co., Glenn's Creek
Other distillery stops for pours and such - Willett, Jim Beam, Woodford, Castle and Key
Restaurants - The Rickhouse, The Kitchen Table (Jim Beam distillery), Doc Crows, The Stave

Micther's - wasn't worth the time. I have heard much that is good about this brand, but it just doesn't do it for me. The tour was sort of a contrived mini demo of the whiskey making process. We were in Louisville, so this location is just in a downtown building on Whiskey Row. They do some limited production there, but it just felt staged. The tasting allowed us to sample 5 of their products (No 10 year to tatse or available to buy), but I found them to be very muted in flavor, very low proof, and very similar to each other. I really had no Micther's experience before this. Nothing here won me over as a customer.

Old Forester - this was an unexpected surprise and a solid tour. The coolest part of this experience was the fact that they do their own barrel making there and the whole process was included as part of the tour. We got to see it all...the barrel shaping, the toasting, the charring, the banding, the leak testing and the filling. It was a nice addition to the typical whiskey making tours. We got a guided tasting of the Whiskey Row series (not including the new 1924 unfortunately), but I was already pretty familiar with those products. I am a huge fan of the 1910. Our tour guide, Michael, was awesome.

Angel's Envy - Ho-Hum typical tour...2 unique things: they let you taste the mash in the fermenter (not pleasant) and they let you rub the head of the distillate on your hands. Smell...rub...smell...rub...smell...rub...and the nose of what you could pick up on changed significantly as you did this. The guided tasting was pretty limited...only included their 2 base products, the port finish and rye rum finish. Biggest surprise to me here was finding out the rye whiskey for the rum cask product is sourced from MGP. I did not know that previously. I also found out that Angel's Envy is now owned by the Bacardi corporation...which is the source for the rum barrels for finishing the rye. I did get to try their Cask strength versions of both the port finish and rye in the bar after the tour. They were fantastic...so much better then the lower proof decedents. Unfortunately, I just can't justify the cost of these at $230 and $270 per bottle. Glad I got a taste though, because they are much better than the base model (and I like the base models, especially the rye).

Whiskey Thief - a great experience and I would suggest a must do for anyone hitting the bourbon trail. Aside from the whiskey making tour (which was kept brief since they knew everyone has been on other tours), the tasting part made the day. You get to taste samples of 5 different whiskies drawn with a copper whiskey thief straight from the barrels. We sweet talked the young lady working there (Katie) into letting us taste a 6th barrel as well. She was awesome...so friendly and informative. She also brews beer aside from her gig here. Anyway, they are very liberal with the tastings. You can go back for seconds...and thirds...and... No one stopped us. This was our first stop of the day on Sunday, and I left there with a buzz. If you decide to purchase a bottle, 375 mL or 750 mL, you get to fill it yourself using the whiskey thief tool. I left with 2 bottles.

Glenn's Creek - another highlight of the trip...strongly recommend. We did a guided tasting there. You literally sit around the bar in the distilling room with the master distiller leading the experience. It felt like we were in his garage. He just hangs out with you casually swapping stories as he pours your samples. As he tells you stories about how he got started and learned the craft, he calls out many of the other distilleries (generically) for the BS they spread to the public about the process. He sat with us for near an hour and a half chatting it up. Every bottle we purchased, he wrote our name on it with a "Cheers" message with the date and then signed his name. The whole vibe was very cool and personal.

Love Doc Crows!

I believe the only place in your list that actually distills their own bourbon is Old Forrester. The rest are either contract distillers (Michters) or NDP/Sourcers who buy barrels from others. That may have contributed to your experience.

Many put on a dog and pony show with a pot still and fermenter but the vast majority if not all the product that goes in the bottle under there name was not made by them.

Curious about Whiskey thief however. Drawing from the barrels with a thief is a common means of tasting for a private barrel selection... but that is obviously barrel proof. Other places like Jameson pull the bourbon from the barrel, proof it down, then put it back in the barrel and let you fill your bottle "from the barrel".

Did they clarify which approach they went with? The fact that they were letting you fill bottles for purchase with the thief makes me think the latter, but I'm curious.

Love Doc Crows!

I believe the only place in your list that actually distills their own bourbon is Old Forrester. The rest are either contract distillers (Michters) or NDP/Sourcers who buy barrels from others. That may have contributed to your experience.

Many put on a dog and pony show with a pot still and fermenter but the vast majority if not all the product that goes in the bottle under there name was not made by them.

Curious about Whiskey thief however. Drawing from the barrels with a thief is a common means of tasting for a private barrel selection... but that is obviously barrel proof. Other places like Jameson pull the bourbon from the barrel, proof it down, then put it back in the barrel and let you fill your bottle "from the barrel".

Did they clarify which approach they went with? The fact that they were letting you fill bottles for purchase with the thief makes me think the latter, but I'm curious.
I didn't review the restaurants because my post was getting long enough, but Doc Crows was pretty good. They have a ridiculous whiskey list available...like 3000 or so the bartender told me.

Angels Envy said they distill all of their own bourbon, but sourced the rye liquid. I got the impression that Glenn's Creek and Whiskey Thief were distilling their own. In fact, I believe Whiskey Thief said they do some contract distilling for others. They are a pretty small operation though so it can't be too much.

I assumed the Whiskey Thief was barrel proof products...I brought home a 124.6 proof rye and a 119 proof bourbon. So, if they were proofing it down, it couldn't have been too much.

Thoughts on Weller Antique 107?
Solid if you like wheaters (I do). But I wouldn't pay much over MSRP for it. People overpay these days for anything with the Weller name on it. Before the bourbon boom 107 was a $25 a bottle solid daily drinker. Which it is. But it gets treated like gold now.

Solid if you like wheaters (I do). But I wouldn't pay much over MSRP for it. People overpay these days for anything with the Weller name on it. Before the bourbon boom 107 was a $25 a bottle solid daily drinker. Which it is. But it gets treated like gold now.

Thanks. What's a fair price for it now? 750 ml bottle.
MSRP is $50 and I wouldn't go much beyond that. Weller 12 is the next step up and MSRP of about $70 but I might go up to about $100 on that one. 12 is significantly better IMO. Full Proof is the best of the common Weller line.

MSRP is $50 and I wouldn't go much beyond that. Weller 12 is the next step up and MSRP of about $70 but I might go up to about $100 on that one. 12 is significantly better IMO. Full Proof is the best of the common Weller line.

Thanks. Is it easily available for $50 in lots of places?

I've only ever seen it for between $90-130 in TX

Probably not easily.

I really like Antique a lot. It has a lot of vanilla and caramel with a slightly spicy cinnamon background. It has a really great mouth feel to it. It has become on of my regular go to pours when I just want to relax and chill. Sells for $56 in Ohio and is an allocated product. It is one of the more commonly available allocated bottles in the state and usually drops once a month or so, but you need to be willing to stand in a line around here to get it. It has become pretty much the underground bourbon currency around here. People hoard it and use it to trade for harder to get stuff to folks who will take the Weller out of state and sell it for profit. This saddens me because I just want to buy it to drink it and it is always something you got to work for to get.

Never found it in the wild in Charlotte and it goes $100 on the secondary.
Wish it was cheaper because I really enjoy it.

Probably my favorite "daily drinker".
Great proof point. Easy sipper. Exceptional character in some picks.

Stocked up 6-7 years ago when it was readily available at $29.99 ($360/case) but getting down my my last case now

Had a work trip to Houston last week so took advantage of the new location and did a little bourbon hunting. Went to a Total Wine, a couple of Specs, and then a few random stores that I found by googling or that were recommended. Came away with more than I meant to (isn't that always the case?) :

Frey Ranch Farm Strength Uncut (121 proof)
Larceny Barrel Proof C923
Jack Daniels SiB Barrel Proof Rye (132 proof)
Jack Daniels 10 Year (Batch 3)
2023 Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Batch Proof (124.7 proof)
Old Forester King Ranch

The King Ranch was the one thing I had to come home with, as I love everything Old Forester and had never had this since it's a TX only product. Everything else was just something found while hunting that I couldn't pass up for the price, or something that's impossible to find back home.

Completely blew my bourbon budget for a couple of months now though :shrug:

Bought this last week but haven't had a chance to try it until Saturday, Bulleit Bourbon Single Barrel Hand Selected. Didn't move the needle in my world compared to their normal bourbon and rye offerings but gave it a shot at the price point of $59.

Seems the higher proof stuff is not my cup of tea but willing to learn.

Had a work trip to Houston last week so took advantage of the new location and did a little bourbon hunting. Went to a Total Wine, a couple of Specs, and then a few random stores that I found by googling or that were recommended. Came away with more than I meant to (isn't that always the case?) :

Old Forester King Ranch

The King Ranch was the one thing I had to come home with, as I love everything Old Forester and had never had this since it's a TX only product. Everything else was just something found while hunting that I couldn't pass up for the price, or something that's impossible to find back home.

Where did you get that Jack Daniel 10 Year? My wife's family is in Houston and we go a few times a year. When we drove down there Christmas I spent a long morning driving around and picked up the JD SiBBP Rye as it doesn't really exist in Colorado (holy **** is it good) as well as some 1792 FP and a smattering of Benchmark's stuff that we don't get in CO.

Old Forester King Ranch

Speaking of Old Forester, after having mixed feelings about the 100 proof (liked the flavor but too much heat, Kentucky Hug), I picked up their 100 proof rye in the hope that it wouldn't burn as much, you, because it's rye.

I made the mistake of having it after having spaghetti for dinner, and the acid from the sauce was irritating my reflux, so I can't fairly judge if it burns too much for me. I will say that the flash of heat I got from the bourbon was stronger than the rye yet the 'baking spice' notes that I liked were still there. The burn on the way down was awful, but again I'm blaming the spaghetti I had earlier, so I'm hoping it's not as bad the next time.

Old Forester King Ranch

Where did you get that Jack Daniel 10 Year? My wife's family is in Houston and we go a few times a year. When we drove down there Christmas I spent a long morning driving around and picked up the JD SiBBP Rye as it doesn't really exist in Colorado (holy **** is it good) as well as some 1792 FP and a smattering of Benchmark's stuff that we don't get in CO.
It was at a place called Liquor Lot in The Woodlands area. A local friend has a brother that lives there so I asked him/them for any recommended shops to hunt in and it was #2 on their list. I told the lady at the counter I was from out of town, just looking for stuff that I can't get back home, wasn't really looking for anything allocated but she says "well have you ever seen Hardin's Creek?" and she opens the cabinet under the counter and pulls out a three pint set. I said yes, I've tried it before, and then she pulls out an EHT Small Batch, a 1.75L Weller SR, and then pulls out Jack 10.

I've got a local store that got in a 1792 FP store pick back around Christmas, it is delicious - but that's the only time I've ever seen FP anywhere near me. It's everywhere in Houston, I probably saw it in 5 or 6 different stores out of the 12 or so I went to. Also saw a Sweet Wheat in one, and a few 1792 BiBs.

Old Forester King Ranch

Speaking of Old Forester, after having mixed feelings about the 100 proof (liked the flavor but too much heat, Kentucky Hug), I picked up their 100 proof rye in the hope that it wouldn't burn as much, you, because it's rye.

I made the mistake of having it after having spaghetti for dinner, and the acid from the sauce was irritating my reflux, so I can't fairly judge if it burns too much for me. I will say that the flash of heat I got from the bourbon was stronger than the rye yet the 'baking spice' notes that I liked were still there. The burn on the way down was awful, but again I'm blaming the spaghetti I had earlier, so I'm hoping it's not as bad the next time.
I love the OF 100 Proof Rye - really want to find a Single Barrel Rye of theirs but the only place I've seen one was another shop in Houston, it was in a glass case along with tons of other allocated bottles that were all at MSRP, but you have to redeem points to be able to purchase them. Really wish I had a local store that would do a points system... :sadbanana:

Old Forester King Ranch

I love the OF 100 Proof Rye - really want to find a Single Barrel Rye of theirs but the only place I've seen one was another shop in Houston, it was in a glass case along with tons of other allocated bottles that were all at MSRP, but you have to redeem points to be able to purchase them. Really wish I had a local store that would do a points system... :sadbanana:

I don't buy enough to really take advantage of a points system. I'm signed up at Total Wine, but their discounts only cover their 'Spirits Direct' brands, of which I only like a couple of their scotches.
Last month, I discovered that the liquor store next to the place where my wife gets her nails done that does points as well. I had been in there before but at first glance, their prices were above both Total Wine and the honey hole near my parents' house. I went in there one Saturday when my wife was getting a pedicure and noticed that not all of their prices were bad, including Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond (actually $1 cheaper than Total Wine), so I bought it with my wife's blessing ( :shock:). Since it was my first purchase there, the cashier explained their system to me but I didn't sign up; the list of allocated bottles for their raffle was what I imagine is fairly standard for allocated raffles, and none of it appeals to me, plus I don't buy very often so I don't know that it would have been worth my while. They had a few labels that I wasn't used to seeing elsewhere (nothing epic, just stuff like Old Overholt 10), so I may go back in a month or so. Maybe I'll sign up then.

After I posted last night, I tried the Old Forester again and the burn wasn't as bad. Good price, good taste. I like it better than the Sagamore Spirit basic rye but not as much as their cask strength and definitely not as much as their double oaked.

Some low end suggestions for you - I think all will be at or below $30 depending on location and availability. WT101 is be my go-to for value - not sure it can be beat.

- Elijah Craig Small Batch

- 1792 Small Batch

- Early Times BiB

- Buffalo Trace - had to throw it in, some find it impossible to find. I’m able to get as much as I want for $25-30.

- Coopers Craft Reserve

- Something I recommend to folks because I think it’s great and is a little different (and a little more) is Redwood Empire’s Lost Monarch. It is a bourye- bourbon, rye blend.

If you are wanting to branch out to ryes to:

- Old Forester rye (100 proof, is delicious and can be found $20-25)

- WT101 Rye (I like the bourbon better but their rye is a great value too)

- Rittenhouse is a solid rye, especially for mixed drinks
Wanted to circle back to this post:

Very prophetic list.

Elijah Craig Small Batch-I'm on board and recently bought a 1.75L to alternate with the Wild Turkey 101
1792 Small Batch-haven't tried it yet but did get to sample the barrel proof and like it.
Early Times BiB-not available in my area, want to try it as it's unanimously liked online.
Cooper's Craft-will be one of the next 2-3 I buy.

Re: ryes, I'll probably hold off on the WT101 for a bit and dip further into the basement with Old Overholt 10 on my short list right now, as well as the other big distilleries ryes, and I believe I saw the Jack Daniels SBBP Rye in the 375ml size at my local Total Wine at a price I can stomach.

Old Forester King Ranch

The OF SiB BP Rye is still maybe my favorite pour I’ve ever had

Last trip in to one of my local spots…it had happened to be an allocation drop day but I didn’t get in til evening and was picking up some wine. Noticed there was still some Buffalo Trace out. $44.99. Allocations usually sell out in an hour or two…clearly people were like me and not going to pay that. I had just cracked a litre i had in the cabinet so I wasn’t in need of a bottle especially at that price. Was interesting when i had seen the litre the one day at another local store (cheaper than that $45 for a .750) as its typically only the .750 or occasionally the 1.75.

At a hotel, ordered and old fashioned. Menu said Hochstanders Slow and Low Rock and Rye. Didn’t realize it’s a premix. Might be the worst drink I’ve ever had

Store Pick Hunt Update #1:

Friday - Store #1, haven't been there in almost a year. They had a few picks (Four Roses OBSQ, Old Elk Wheated, Rittenhouse Rye, Clyde Mays 6yr, Peerless Rye). While I sampled a couple (the Old Elk was fantastic) we started chatting about their frequency of store picks, what they've picked before, what's upcoming, etc. and I asked if they ever picked any Old Forester barrels as I've never seen an OF SiB pick anywhere near me. They said they did one 2021 and were planning on doing another one Fall 2024. One of the workers wandered off to help another customer, and as I was tasting the last sample she walked back over and plunked down a beautiful blue label Old Forester Single Barrel Barrel Strength (130.1 proof) bottle on the counter in front of me. She said they had 3 bottles of it tucked in the back somewhere from their 2021 pick. I had to buy it at that point.

Also Friday - Store #2 (never been to this one) and while parking I saw two different people carrying bottles out to their car in an Eagle Rare box. Noticed more ER boxes stacked up behind the register. So I asked the clerk (turns out she's the owner's daughter) if they'd gotten in a big shipment of it and maybe had any bottles left. She told me they had an ER store pick delivered on Wednesday (2 days prior), and even with a 1 bottle limit per customer, sold out of it in 1.5 hours. The only store pick I've ever been able to nab from BT was a Blanton's once.... So the hunt continues...
Store Pick Hunt Update #2:

(not necessarily the 2nd time I went hunting for store picks, just that I had a weird encounter in a new store that I thought was interesting/worth mentioning so hence, the second update)

Someone recommended a store to me about ~1:40 min away, said the owner Tom is big into bourbon and always gets the largest allocations, tons of store picks, etc. The fact that I've never heard of this store before when it's within 2 hours of me tells me they very likely charge full secondary for stuff (Hint #1), but the guy that mentioned it told me he's gotten lots of good bottles from them so I save the store name in my phone for next time I go that way. So now it's 3 months later, and I bopped in there yesterday morning since I was going that direction for work. Normal store at first glance, I peruse down the whiskey aisle and see all the familiar faces. I see on one wall of the back of the store there's a separate counter, with shelving behind it full of bottles that aren't typically on any shelf. Sitting right on the counter is a beautiful blue Weller Full Proof, and I immediately notice the gold store pick sticker on it. I ease over to the counter, scanning the shelves - half the bottles have no price listed, so Hint #2...

Guy walks up behind the counter with "Hi I'm Tom, can I help you?" and I mention that I'm from XX town, never been to this store before, just looking over what all they have, and he starts in on "is there anything you're specifically hunting for? We have pretty much anything you might want". Hint #3.... what store would immediately open up their back room inventory to an admitted first-time customer if their prices weren't marked up to the mountaintops?

I ask about the Weller Full Proof since it's right on the counter - I see it's a store pick, but I don't see the typical barrel and bottles display like all your other picks here so is this a leftover bottle from an old pick? He says it's $250 for the bottle (DING DING DING), and they got it around Thanksgiving, and that he rations it and only puts out one bottle each day for purchase. Never seen a store do that...most of them want to actually sell the bottles they have, but whatever works I guess...

So he asks me again if there's anything I'm hunting, so knowing how this conversation was going to turn out but still trying to be nice I said "well I recently found a Jack Daniels 10 year that is great, so now I'm kind of looking for the 12 year". He pulls one out from under the counter, almost as if he had his hand on it the whole time. He says: "It's $299, and let me just say that I won't be offended if you don't buy this because I really don't even want to sell this one, I'd rather take it home for myself". Well now to be sure all of my hints are confirmed, and I thank the man for his time and tell him to keep it and enjoy it and I turned and left.

Oh, and his other store picks:
  1. Elijah Craig Private Barrel (I see these everywhere for $60-70, his was $85)
  2. 1792 Full Proof ($60, just got one for $45 from another store)
  3. Russells Reserve SiB ($80, I have a store 5 min from my house that has these for $65)
  4. Saz Rye SiB ($50)
  5. maybe others that he's rationing one per day, who does that?!

Is there any consensus for your favorite bourbon to sip by itself (or a little water) that's regularly available under $50 for a 750 ml bottle?

Best bottle under $75?

Is there any consensus for your favorite bourbon to sip by itself (or a little water) that's regularly available under $50 for a 750 ml bottle?

Best bottle under $75?
Consensus? Idk.

I have always thoroughly enjoyed Knob Creek Single Barrel. I think it is generally around $50 now, but used to be around $35.

Best bottle under $75?

It would be weird if there was a total consensus - it's not different than asking people their favorite beer, wine or soda - it's always personal preference. However, if you look at aggegator lists and people voting, here's some bottles that frequently show up in the under $50 list:
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Eagle Rare (if you can find it for MSRP)
  • Knob Creek
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Woodford Reserve (not for me but it's very popular)
  • Weller Reserve
  • Old Forester (there's a few under $50)
Under $75 here's some I'd look at:
  • Rare Breed
  • Old Forester 1910/1920
  • Elijah Craig BP (this can be found for $70 but not everywhere)
  • Woodford Double Oaked
  • Russell Reserve Single Barrel
These are all both very popular and easy to find. I didn't list too many that are harder to find.

Best bottle under $75?

It would be weird if there was a total consensus - it's not different than asking people their favorite beer, wine or soda - it's always personal preference. However, if you look at aggegator lists and people voting, here's some bottles that frequently show up in the under $50 list:
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Knob Creek
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Weller Reserve
  • Rare Breed
  • Old Forester 1910/1920
  • Woodford Double Oaked
These are all both very popular and easy to find. I didn't list too many that are harder to find.
The price variation by location point is so key. Stuff I can barely get in TX or get for a high price was super easy or affordable in Chicago. And both had better selection and prices than when i lived int he Bay.

Best bottle under $75?

• Buffalo Trace
  • Knob Creek
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Weller Reserve
  • Rare Breed
  • Old Forester 1910/1920
  • Woodford Double Oaked
The price variation by location point is so key. Stuff I can barely get in TX or get for a high price was super easy or affordable in Chicago. And both had better selection and prices than when i lived int he Bay.

Agree but I’d say most of these are very available and should meet the price point even with regional variation.

Best bottle under $75?
I don't imagine there will ever be consensus when it comes to "favorite" since everyone has such different tastes, but here are a few of my favorites under $75

Weller Antique 107 - $56 in Ohio, but prices and availability will vary wildly. It is allocated, but I always keep a couple bottles bunkered. I know you asked for readily available, but I had to list this one...so good. I am enjoying a pour as I type this.

Here are one's I like a lot that are readily available on most of the store shelves in Ohio...
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked - $56
Rare Breed - $50
Bardstown Origin Series - $46
Bardstown Origin Bottled in Bond - $50
Old Forester 1910 - $57
Old Forester 1920 - $62
Four Roses Small Batch Select - $60
Four Roses Single Barrel - $50
Sazerac Rye - $31 (yeah, I know you asked for Bourbon but this one drinks very bourbon like)
Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond - $50
Maker's Mark Cask strength - $45
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof - $65
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye - $65 (may be a little harder to find than the others)

The 2 Jack Daniel's choices are monsters when it comes to proof and may not be for everyone.

Best bottle under $75?
It would help tremendously if you have any input as to what you’ve tried so far and whether you liked it or didn’t like it. There’s tons of readily available stuff in both of those price ranges, some is widely liked and some not so much.

Is it hard to find Buffalo Trace or their other products in other parts of the country? It's in every grocery store and some gas stations around here for roughly $25.

Users who are viewing this thread