What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (2 Viewers)

Where are the logical landing spots?
I would not be surprised if the Jags and he have already agreed on premise of a deal but can't sign it until FA starts to they would only owe Atlanta a third instead of a second.

But if not here is where I'd start, and fwiw everyone of these teams except the Jets were reported by Diania Russini to have interest in Mike Evans, as well as some other teams and that's probably a good place to start.

Familiarity, cap space and need are what I typically look for in trying to predict a FA landing spot.

Titans check all 3 boxes which is why put them as my slight favorite. For those that don't know it's going to be Callahans offense but the OC they just hired, Nick Holz, is coming from the Jags. Getting into a less direct path Ridley's OC last year was Press Taylor, who is Zac Taylors brother, who was Callahans boss in Cincy and they no doubt talk. Perhaps Holz and Press Taylor don't have good things to say about Ridley which would kill this idea but if they like his talent and working with him I expect it to carry a lot of weight.

NE heavily checks two boxes and arguably have biggest need and most cap space over next two years then any team in the league.

Carolina is the main comp vs NE for desperation, a little light on cap space however, could make it work but really only checks one box.

Jets are one team Russini did not mention as being interested in Evans as a potential spot for Ridley. Need exists, win now mode, not Titans or NE level of cap space but more then Carolina ($20M)and they have a loose connection with Ridley in their DC Ulbrich who was on staff in Atlanta for most of Ridley's career in Atlanta, all but the last year he bailed early.

Giants were another team listed by Russini as interested in Evans and another team with major need and solid cap space.($38M)

Those would be my 5 most likely spots I'd predict.

Chiefs were a team listed by Russini as intersted in Evans but I think they are hoping to get players chasing rings and not looking for top dollar and Ridley probalby needs to get paid. I can't rule them out, just seems unlikely to me. Rams were oddly enough another team listed by Russin, I got to think they were trying to get Evans cheaper as well and not a team willing to pay top dollar. Jaguars and Falcons were the last two teams Russini reported as interested in Ridley and for obvious reasons would take them out.

Thanks @menobrown for the breakdown!
I agree that Ridley & Jax likely have a “handshake deal” until after the pick upgrade becomes moot.
Carolina & NE both offer good potential but both have QB issues currently and lower his fantasy value IMO.
KC is a WOW potential and drives his value up even if unlikely
What about Chicago potential to pair with DJM or Dallas to pair with Lamb?
Dallas needs upgrade on WR2 with Cooks, Etc doing little.

He also scored 8 TD.
Boy, what a frustrating guy to own. Cost me big time. I hate isolating stats as much as anyone, but…

* 2 TDs/100 yards came in a game after a 4 game stretch where he averaged 3.25 recs/33.75 yds per game, with no TDs. In short, any owner who benefited was a fool for starting Ridley.

* 3 TDs/200 yards came when his owners were competing for league toilet bowl.

That leaves 700 yds, 3 TDs over 13 gutter/strike weeks. Hard to blame his owners viewing him that way.

He also scored 8 TD.
Boy, what a frustrating guy to own. Cost me big time. I hate isolating stats as much as anyone, but…

* 2 TDs/100 yards came in a game after a 4 game stretch where he averaged 3.25 recs/33.75 yds per game, with no TDs. In short, any owner who benefited was a fool for starting Ridley.

* 3 TDs/200 yards came when his owners were competing for league toilet bowl.

That leaves 700 yds, 3 TDs over 13 gutter/strike weeks. Hard to blame his owners viewing him that way.
I’ve said it before, but someone on Twitter did a super cut of Ridley’s drops - and while there weren’t as many as I’d thought, almost all of them were high value targets. End zone, 1st down, deep shot that likely woulda scored…all on dimes from TLaw. Lawrence made some mistakes this year, too, but drive-extending drops, or not getting open on key 3rd downs stole a lot of potential yards/fantasy points from both players.

It was frustrating as a TLaw shareholder, and especially with Ridley in one of my redrafts.

And spot on - He’d play to the point of being impossible to start, then I’d bench him & he’d go off for 30+.

Last edited:
Trevor Lawrence said he wants the Jaguars to re-sign Calvin Ridley.
Lawrence praised Ridley’s 2023 performance after sitting out for two seasons. “He still has so much more room — we both do — for growth,” Lawrence said, adding Ridley last year was on the verge of having a “crazy, historic” season for the Jags. “We have a great thing going.” Ridley in 2023 had the ninth most air yards in the league and the 27th most receiving yards, mostly operating as a boundary vertical threat, with several almost-touchdown connections with Lawrence. Perhaps another offseason with the organization will lead to a more efficient campaign as Ridley heads into his age-29 season.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Patriots are “pushing to sign free-agent WR Calvin Ridley, but sources believe that he currently prefers to return to Jacksonville.”
The Jaguars have already spent a sizable chunk of change on Gabe Davis but may not be done yet. The Patriots have the money to outbid Jacksonville if they want to, but money doesn’t appear to be the only factor for Ridley. Going to New England would likely pair him with a rookie quarterback on a low-volume offense. Even if they can give him more money, he may prefer to immediately contend for a playoff berth on a better offense at the cost of a few million dollars. If the Jags bring back Ridley, they will likely cut Zay Jones for extra cap space. Jones would also be redundant as the team’s fourth receiver behind Ridley, Davis, and Christian Kirk.

Not surprised he isn't drawing more interest, he really needed to ball out more than he did last year. Once the Jaguars signed Gabe Davis, you knew Calvin Ridley wasn't coming back to Jacksonville. For any other WR, 76 / 1036 / 8 TD in 17 games would be great. But for a WR of Ridley's age and history, the bar is higher. Besides, how idiotic would it be fore Jacksonville to spend all that money on Christian Kirk, Gabe Davis, and Calvin Ridley. Pay WRs sure, but that's not the combination of guys I'm paying, let alone paying all that money to have them sitting on the bench in 2RB sets when we the team LOVES to run the ball.

He is about a year younger than Mike Evans and people view that guy as ancient. Like most GMs, I surmise they don't want to sign him through his early 30s and end up paying an extravagant amount for 60 / 850 / 6 TD when he inevitably declines in the next couple years. He is not somebody I would trust giving the bag to and there are at least half a dozen WR in the draft that I feel have the same upside as this cat. Prepare to be humbled young man.

Last edited:
Not surprised he isn't drawing more interest, he really needed to ball out more than he did last year. Once the Jaguars signed Gabe Davis, you knew Calvin Ridley wasn't coming back to Jacksonville. For any other WR, 76 / 1036 / 8 TD in 17 games would be great. But for a WR of Ridley's age and history, the bar is higher.

He is about a year younger than Mike Evans and people view that guy as ancient. Like most GMs, I surmise the don't want to sign him through his early 30s and end up paying an extravagant amount for 60 / 850 / 6 TD when he inevitably declines in the next couple years. He is not somebody I would trust giving the bag to and there are at least half a dozen WR in the draft that I feel have the same upside as this cat. Prepare to be humbled young man.
Ummmmmm, OK :ponder:

Not surprised he isn't drawing more interest, he really needed to ball out more than he did last year. Once the Jaguars signed Gabe Davis, you knew Calvin Ridley wasn't coming back to Jacksonville. For any other WR, 76 / 1036 / 8 TD in 17 games would be great. But for a WR of Ridley's age and history, the bar is higher.

He is about a year younger than Mike Evans and people view that guy as ancient. Like most GMs, I surmise the don't want to sign him through his early 30s and end up paying an extravagant amount for 60 / 850 / 6 TD when he inevitably declines in the next couple years. He is not somebody I would trust giving the bag to and there are at least half a dozen WR in the draft that I feel have the same upside as this cat. Prepare to be humbled young man.

I'm just saying they're paying Christian Kirk $14,500,000 this year and $15,500,000 next year. They just signed Gabe Davis on a 3-year $39,000,000 contract. They're already committed at least $27,500,000 to just those two WR for 2024. Ridley will want as much as Gabe Davis got, right?

So they're gonna pay $40,000,000 a year for these 3 WR, in a loaded WR draft class, and give up a 3rd Round pick to do it? I guess they could but it defies any conventional logic that I know of, unless I am mistaken:

ETA: They still have to sign Trevor Lawrence to a long-term deal as well. A deal that only gets more expensive the longer they wait to get it done.

Last edited:

I'm just saying they're paying Christian Kirk $14,500,000 this year and $15,500,000 next year. They just signed Gabe Davis on a 3-year $39,000,000 contract. They're already committed at least $27,500,000 to just those two WR for 2024. Ridley will want as much as Gabe Davis got, right?

So they're gonna pay $40,000,000 a year for these 3 WR, in a loaded WR draft class, and give up a 3rd Round pick to do it? I guess they could but it defies any conventional logic that I know of, unless I am mistaken:

I was more referring to the comments of:

-People viewing Mike Evan as "ancient". The just hit age 30 is always a concern, but he has a couple good years left. Feel the same about Keenan Allen, even though they are totally different kind of receivers. Age 30 isn't a death sentence these days. Plus, basically sitting out for two years decreased wear and tear some.

-Saying Ridley needed to ball out more. He had a pretty nice year overall, considering how he was used. A couple of big drops on long TDs hurt a lot, but first year in new system after a year and a half out of the game wasn't bad. Expectations were a bit over the top right before the season started.

Hope he doesn't go to the Patriots because of the QB situation or lack of one currently. Would get a lot of targets, but not great quality ones IMO

I was more referring to the comments of:

-People viewing Mike Evan as "ancient". The just hit age 30 is always a concern, but he has a couple good years left. Feel the same about Keenan Allen, even though they are totally different kind of receivers. Age 30 isn't a death sentence these days. Plus, basically sitting out for two years decreased wear and tear some.

-Saying Ridley needed to ball out more. He had a pretty nice year overall, considering how he was used. A couple of big drops on long TDs hurt a lot, but first year in new system after a year and a half out of the game wasn't bad. Expectations were a bit over the top right before the season started.

Hope he doesn't go to the Patriots because of the QB situation or lack of one currently. Would get a lot of targets, but not great quality ones IMO

I feel you, I'm just thinking like an NFL GM. The guy stepped away from football (quit on his team if you are a pessimist), then got suspended for gambling. He comes back and it takes him 17 games to get 1,000 yards. If you take away him quitting and the suspension, you can stomach his age, but an aging WR with character issues who failed to hit a common 1,000 yard mark barometer is going to scare away many GMs who would rather hitch their wagon to somebody else. Somebody like Gabe Davis for instance.

Evans is healthy, didn't quit, and is the Buccaneers' franchise guy. I call him old because people laugh at me when I try to offer him in dynasty. I've seen Reggie Wayne, Hines Ward, Larry Fitzgerald, etc ball out into their 30s. But those guys are all closer to Mike Evans than they are Calvin Ridley.

Calvin Ridley is much closer to being Tampa Mike Williams than those guys.

Good on him for not wanting to leave where he’s comfortable, but this is going to be his last big contract and I’d be surprised if he didn’t take the Pats’ cash.

All we can confirm now is that he did not have agreement in place with Jacksonville, or at least one he's sticking to.

Could a third team other then NE and Jax get into the mix? I hope so.

All we can confirm now is that he did not have agreement in place with Jacksonville, or at least one he's sticking to.

What would be the best landing spot right now? KC seems unlikely to spend that much money.

Maybe Arizona, as Murray has a history of peppering his #1, and maybe they trade down or take Alt at #4?

What would be the best landing spot right now? KC seems unlikely to spend that much money.

Maybe Arizona, as Murray has a history of peppering his #1, and maybe they trade down or take Alt at #4?
Good question. Agree on KC not wanting to spend.

I'm not excited about doing it over again in Jax, would actually prefer Brissett/breaking in a rookie QB to that. Neither were really excited about it hard to think of a lot of places that would get me pumped that I would think might really be interested.

Titans would be ok,would be a plus spot if they got rid of Hopkins, but if they keep them both would feel really subpar. Carolina, as strange as it may sound, was a really preferred landing spot for me on a lot of WR's but did not hear any interest before they traded for Diontae. I'd personally hate to see the Jets because I got him on a team with Wilson.

So I guess right now I'm not jacked about anything, out of the options I think might exist my first choice would be Titans if they got rid of Hopkins or the NE will at least he'll be the #1.

Arizona would be great if they really ended up passing on a WR, just not hearing anything out of them and guessing they don't want to paint themselves in a corner a little bit for the draft. But if they were a surprise entry into the mix, I'd welcome it.

Albert Breer tweeted that NE was up to $22m and the Jags were back at $20m.

Titans were my favorite to land him the whole time, well except until the last two days when everyone said it was a two team race. But not surprised, we'll see how it works out.

Guess a lot of mocks having Titans taking a WR at 7 will change, at least if Hopkins is still on the roster.

Can't remember her exact comments but in the presser after letting Vrabel go you could tell Amy Strunk thought they had a potential franchise guy in Levis, she's certianly trying to give him what he needs.

Can't wait to hear the story on this one.
Once upon a time, 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

And he lived happily ever after.

- the end
Used Robert Kraft to drive up the price.

Thanks for the steak dinner, Bob! Later! Going somewhere warm. 😎
Exactly. Used the Jags, too, but with the immediate Davis signing, I’m not so sure they were ever truly in the mix unless Ridley was gonna give them a discount.

Which, clearly, he was not.

Wouldn't pay AJ Brown in his prime but found the money to pay 30 year old Ridley
Drafted Treylon Burks as a replacement that hasn't panned out yet. Lot of resources burned trying to replace AJB

Users who are viewing this thread