What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

The jury is still out on Levis, but keep in mind that this is going to be a different Titans offense under Brian Callahan. Not sure if Ridley can be more consistent than last year, but with an aging Hopkins, I’m not ready to say this was a bad landing spot.

Matt Harmon likes it and he knows things:

Titans refused to give 24 y/o AJ Brown 4 years and $100M

But they were okay giving 30 y/o Calvin Ridley 4 years and $92M

It's a poverty franchise. They have to take what they can get. They just canned Vrabel too, they don't have a clue what they're doing. I'm allowed to say this, I'm a Bears fan and we suck too. With that said, I think this is actually a really good landing spot for Ridley. Levis has a cannon and there should be plenty of garbage time.

The jury is still out on Levis, but keep in mind that this is going to be a different Titans offense under Brian Callahan. Not sure if Ridley can be more consistent than last year, but with an aging Hopkins, I’m not ready to say this was a bad landing spot.

Ridley has been better as a WR2 than a WR1. In theory this is a great spot for him behind Hopkins facing lesser coverage.

Ridley has been better as a WR2 than a WR1. In theory this is a great spot for him behind Hopkins facing lesser coverage.
Exactly where he fits. He was never a #1

Well I for one don't view him as the #2 to Hopkins.

Opposing defenses might.

Which is fair considering Hopkin's age, but Ridley is not an alpha, if that's a better term. He absolutely needs another top WR taking coverage.

Opposing defenses might.
I doubt it, truly,

Which is fair considering Hopkin's age, but Ridley is not an alpha, if that's a better term. He absolutely needs another top WR taking coverage.
I think he's not a top 5-10 type WR, that kind of Alpha were the teams know he's getting the ball and can't stop him.

How far off from that I don't know. I've said a lot in this thread he only had 8 games in Atlanta without Julio and flourished but that was awhile ago and really not enough sample size to know if he can be a teams #1, an effective one, even if not an Alpha. He's getting paid like one though, don't see anyone else's #2 making that kind of money.

I think he's not a top 5-10 type WR, that kind of Alpha were the teams know he's getting the ball and can't stop him.

How far off from that I don't know. I've said a lot in this thread he only had 8 games in Atlanta without Julio and flourished but that was awhile ago and really not enough sample size to know if he can be a teams #1, an effective one, even if not an Alpha. He's getting paid like one though, don't see anyone else's #2 making that kind of money.
I’m honestly not sure if either Ridley or Hopkins are “alpha” receivers at this point.

Ridley is faster but doesn’t separate as well.

They’re both good size targets. DHop can still get the contested catches.

It’ll be interesting to see how it works. On paper it looks ok. In practice it could go a lot of ways. There’s a pretty wide spectrum of outcomes with this collection of players IMO.

The sneaky value might be Chig.

I can see a world where Ridley DHop Pollard Spears Chig Burks have some good games.
I think Hopkins has a roster bonus of about $4.4M tomorrow. It would not be surprise me if he was not on the team by this time tomorrow or for the Titans just pick up the bonus and move him later knowing they can get more because they paid some of his salary. I am NOT reading or hearing this anywhere, just a new regime in and perhaps with Ridley they don't want to commit all that money to a 32 and 29 year old WR especially when the 32 year old WR is just down to a year left. Hopkins, may not be in the position he signed up fan and would welcome a change.

Again I'm just speculating, just makes sense to me in terms of what could transpire. Just a lot of financial committment to two older WR's in what looks like a rebuild.

Still a little surprised Vrabel didn’t get another gig. I wasn’t a fan of firing him, tbh

Yeah, it's all a bit strange that he didn't get a job. My guess? I think teams are moving away from big bully ball and into more analytics-friendly philosophies and players. I think the league is getting smaller. They've been talking about the counter-punch to more nickel and dime packages, but I haven't seen it.

The assertion has been—by most in-the-know football guys—that teams would want to get bigger and run the ball more to take advantage of smaller defensive alignments and personnel, but the trend seems to be going the opposite way. I think it's because analytics has identified that it's just more productive for offenses to throw the ball instead of running it. See the devaluation of running backs, too. It's all one big piece and is part and parcel to the rules and newer philosophy about run/pass distribution and efficiency.

Get smaller guys in space and throw more often, the NFL seems to say. And thus everything follows from there.

The bolded means almost nothing to me, many people get overpaid in life. I just don’t think he has “it” to be a number 1.

The 5-10 range you mention is also hard for me personally to get on board with.

JJ
Hill
Lamb
Chase
Brown

And then Ridley? Not even close imo.

Very good receiver, sure, but will always need someone else to share coverage with.

I may have worded that poorly but please take notice of the word NOT.

You say can say he's overpaid and what I'll say is that the major reason I had predicted the Titans as the leading contender for him before FA opened was the familiarity people had on staff with him from working with him directly or being close to those who have. I feel like they got an idea of what they are buying. I will agree to disagree he needs someone else to share coverage with him more then most teams #1WR's.

I may have worded that poorly but please take notice of the word NOT.

You say can say he's overpaid and what I'll say is that the major reason I had predicted the Titans as the leading contender for him before FA opened was the familiarity people had on staff with him from working with him directly or being close to those who have. I feel like they got an idea of what they are buying. I will agree to disagree he needs someone else to share coverage with him more then most teams #1WR's.
Haha my bad dude. Got caught quick reading.

I can see a world where Ridley DHop Pollard Spears Chig Burks have some good games.
I think Hopkins has a roster bonus of about $4.4M tomorrow. It would not be surprise me if he was not on the team by this time tomorrow or for the Titans just pick up the bonus and move him later knowing they can get more because they paid some of his salary. I am NOT reading or hearing this anywhere, just a new regime in and perhaps with Ridley they don't want to commit all that money to a 32 and 29 year old WR especially when the 32 year old WR is just down to a year left. Hopkins, may not be in the position he signed up fan and would welcome a change.

Again I'm just speculating, just makes sense to me in terms of what could transpire. Just a lot of financial committment to two older WR's in what looks like a rebuild.
It's possible but he was "recruiting" this off-season and went from comments on Ridley's Instagram to private discussion

Yeah, in no way, shape, or form is Ridley a 2 in Tennessee.

Levis has a world class arm and Ridley is going to get peppered like mashed taters. If Levis develops, look TF out.

Still a little surprised Vrabel didn’t get another gig. I wasn’t a fan of firing him, tbh

Yeah, it's all a bit strange that he didn't get a job. My guess? I think teams are moving away from big bully ball and into more analytics-friendly philosophies and players. I think the league is getting smaller. They've been talking about the counter-punch to more nickel and dime packages, but I haven't seen it.

The assertion has been—by most in-the-know football guys—that teams would want to get bigger and run the ball more to take advantage of smaller defensive alignments and personnel, but the trend seems to be going the opposite way. I think it's because analytics has identified that it's just more productive for offenses to throw the ball instead of running it. See the devaluation of running backs, too. It's all one big piece and is part and parcel to the rules and newer philosophy about run/pass distribution and efficiency.

Get smaller guys in space and throw more often, the NFL seems to say. And thus everything follows from there.
Callahan believes the RB position isn't devalued it's more that there are committees because one guy does this well and another does that well. He mentioned backs that can do it all do get paid.
To each their own, just thought it was an interesting perspective is all.

Levis has a world class arm and Ridley is going to get peppered like mashed taters. If Levis develops, look TF out.
Levis and Hopkins had a connection last year. That doesn't usually decrease.
No one but Andre has ever been the lead dog over Nuk in his career.
Ridley is not force the ball and he'll make a play type and he has key play drop issues. I don't think he's a 1.

We don't know what the Callahan offense is. He loved the Bengals offense. His dad was a coach. His OC was with the Jags last year. They liked some prior year Titans offenses (amusing to us that aren't a fan of Kelly) and plan a whole mishmash.
Lazy writers just put them as Bengals II but Callahan has explained a few times how they're working it all out

Well, you always want to spin it, but I can’t see selling Ridley now. I’m certainly not selling.

Might as well hold and see if he can come close to his ceiling (which is very high).
Dude’s 29

If I had Ridley I’d certainly be entertaining offers to see if someone else believed in his ceiling & was willing to pay for it.

Because there’s a significantly greater than zero chance he doesn’t hit his ceiling. Cashing out now might make the difference between perception & reality profitable.

Ridley is not force the ball and he'll make a play type and he has key play drop issues. I don't think he's a 1.

We don't know what the Callahan offense is. He loved the Bengals offense. His dad was a coach. His OC was with the Jags last year. They liked some prior year Titans offenses (amusing to us that aren't a fan of Kelly) and plan a whole mishmash.
Lazy writers just put them as Bengals II but Callahan has explained a few times how they're working it all out
Hopkins has a little juice left, but I have no concerns about him as a Ridley owner.

Well, you always want to spin it, but I can’t see selling Ridley now. I’m certainly not selling.

Might as well hold and see if he can come close to his ceiling (which is very high).
Dude’s 29

If I had Ridley I’d certainly be entertaining offers to see if someone else believed in his ceiling & was willing to pay for it.

Because there’s a significantly greater than zero chance he doesn’t hit his ceiling. Cashing out now might make the difference between perception & reality profitable.
Exactly (he’s 29). I suppose if somebody makes an incredibly strong offer, but Ridley is too talented and is setup too good to take a so-so offer.

That said, there’s a wide range of possible outcomes.

Hopkins has a little juice left, but I have no concerns about him as a Ridley owner.
It's wonderful for me to hear this talk as a Titans fan. It's been a long time since AJB and Davis were a legit duo

Dude’s 29

Exactly (he’s 29). I suppose if somebody makes an incredibly strong offer, but Ridley is too talented and is setup too good to take a so-so offer.

That said, there’s a wide range of possible outcomes.
That’s my whole point though. You could
1. Sell now, on the hopes and dreams of him hitting his absolute ceiling.
Or
2. Hold, and hope and dream that he hits his absolute ceiling.

Seems like #1 is significantly more profitable/likely. All you need is someone to believe in him as much as you do.

The only downside is selling & he does indeed hit his ceiling - in which case the worst case scenario is a push.

Last edited:
Also, as chronicled in here quite a bit the last few days, if Jags resigned him too soon the pick they traded for him went from a 3rd to a 2nd.
While undoubtedly relevant, I just don’t think the Jags were in the ballpark financially, especially after signing Davis.

To me he was priced out of the Jags reach. If he were in the ~20M guaranteed, I’d bet they’d eat that pick.

But that’s all speculation.

Why did the Falcons and Jags let him walk?
Falcons it was the gambling scandal/suspension; no?
No one else has been traded that was guilty of that so I believe it's more. He was the heir to Julio. He was just what Trevor needed.
I'm not saying I've watched the guy super closely or anything. It just makes me wonder
I’ll say this as a Ridley redraft & TLaw dynasty shareholder who watched way too many Jags games - I saw Ridley have some bad drops at big times. 3rd down conversions, TDs…balls on good throws that hit him in the hands, in stride.

It’s possible he shrinks in big moments.

Maybe that’s just 1 season back, and the result of his being away from the game for an extended period.

Or maybe it’s who he is.

It’ll be interesting to see what 2024 Titans Ridley looks like.

Why did the Falcons and Jags let him walk?
Falcons it was the gambling scandal/suspension; no?
No one else has been traded that was guilty of that so I believe it's more. He was the heir to Julio. He was just what Trevor needed.
I'm not saying I've watched the guy super closely or anything. It just makes me wonder
Well, the Jags did want him back and were willing to pay big money to keep him, but got outbid. Not like they were trying to dump him.

Well, the Jags did want him back and were willing to pay big money to keep him, but got outbid. Not like they were trying to dump him.
Within financial reason.

I wouldn’t at al be shocked to see the Jags in on a Boyd, Samuel, Renfrow or some other lower tier WR.

Users who are viewing this thread