What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

One frequent trend in here seems to be folks kicking dirt on Fields’ grave. that seems premature to me, but whatever makes y'all happy I guess.

Another trend is the “I told ya so’s” - Fields is just 25 and it seems at least one team has a plan for him at the moment.

He's become a really divisive figure. There's a guy or two (or three to ten) on Twitter/X totally losing their minds today, and it's coming from people I wouldn't expect it to be coming from. And that's both the pro-Fields and the anti-Fields side. The anti-Fields side is losing their proverbial minds just as much as the side that saw their guy get dealt for a sixth. I'm watching meltdowns happening in real time—there are receipts being pulled, there are arguments, and there is personal stuff going back and forth about people's positions regarding this QB and what that means about one's football knowledge, etc. It's a bad look, really.

What people should do is give it a little time. State a case backed with as much evidence as one likes about why one thinks what one thinks, and then back off a bit and realize that nobody is going to be crowned as fantasy king even if one is right about their predictions regarding Fields. I say that because there are some bad looks going around all over the place with this guy.

What people should do is give it a little time.
On this we are in total agreement.

Those making the most bold cases in either direction most certainly risk having egg on their face in humiliating fashion.

I’ve certainly been cautious with my choice of words, and while I believe Fields has the talent to come back from this, I’m certainly not speaking in absolutes or pounding my chest about it.

Some folks need to take a deep breath & see how it plays out. Maybe it will surprise in one way or another.

Ita gonna be funny when fields turns out to be worse than pickett.
Fields was a 5 star recruit with crazy natural ability, who had a great college career and flashes in the NFL and he just turned 25.

Pickett has no arm and tiny hands where he needs gloves to grip the ball. He had one good college season, which was year 6 for him. He will be 26 in July and has shown no improvement in pocket awareness, and his arm is what it is. No upside for him.

Last edited:
Pickett has the worst TD to pass ratio in NFL history. He came off scared, wouldn't go over the middle, became a malecontent, baby, forced his way out of Pittsburgh, people tend to think of his fake slide run in college thinking he's a good runner. He's a terrible runner in the pros. No chance of turning elite. He will be able barely hold a clip board

Think what you want about Justin. If he unlocks the ability to read defenses and process faster he could turn elite.

Fields is a good example of why you should cash out and sell into hype, especially at the quarterback position. Fantasy football isn't real life. The list of Fields types is LONG. I pivoted to Lamar before '23. I've lost my share of trades, but I will add that one to the win column!
He was on championship teams this year and most likely the year before. His elite running certainly played a role in many playoff runs. You can sell too early as much as selling high. I agree that selling high on anyone at the right time is smart. Determining the right time is the trick you have to learn.
I cashed a ship with him in 2023 in a 16-team SF IDP where I took over and rebuild an orphan. $2K in my pocket - thank you, Mr Fields for your contributions to my team & bank account. :hifive: rest assured, I feel every bit as smart for that league victory as y’all do for selling before the bottom fell out.

And now I hold, hoping for a PIT reclamation project and a starting role in 2025.

One frequent trend in here seems to be folks kicking dirt on Fields’ grave. that seems premature to me, but whatever makes y'all happy I guess.

Another trend is the “I told ya so’s” - Fields is just 25 and it seems at least one team has a plan for him at the moment.

So that, too, seems somewhat premature.

You may resume shoveling to y’all’s hearts content. :shrug:
I can see a world where after the 51% is done and over with the Steelers may want to see what they have in Fields. He could be a valuable buy piece later for 2024 playoff runs in Fantasy. If that happens you can sell for a lot more on the dollar than now. Or ride it out into the playoffs. If Russ is playing lights out then that does not happen of course. I can see the leagues' trade deadlines being a vital piece with buys and sells. I have him (Fields) in a 1QB performance scoring ppr league and I did not want to give up on him so I didn't but I also made a couple of trades this offseason to get Kyler Murray and Kirk Cousins to mitigate the risk. I currently have the roster spot space so for now I'm holding. Congrats on your "ship". My team is defending the "ship" in 2024 and I still consider the roster a contender. If I needed the roster spot though holding that long could be difficult. I'm also open to moving him but can not be for pennies on the dollar because of what I said above.

Last edited:
Congrats on your "ship". My team is defending the "ship" in 2024 and I still consider the roster a contender. If I needed the roster spot though holding that long could be difficult.
Thanks - fortunately I also have TLaw, and expect a bounce back 2024. It’s an IDP league so possible to win with 1 QB and a RB or WR at the SF spot.

Best of luck on the back to back for you as well!

One aspect that no one has yet mentioned (that I’ve seen at least) is the possibility of flipping Fields mid-season.

Last year there were what, 60-some starting QBs used in the NFL?

Seems like some competitive team might find themselves in a CLE-type situation.

Just wildly speculating here, but I’d bet the Steelers could net a nice profit on their 6th round investment by sending him to such a team in such a situation.

Good luck with that gb. Have you forgot how the internets works?

My bad, GB. I'd totally forgotten how rage posting and personal attacks were actually the best way to ascertain the truth when settling disputes over contentious and deeply-held issues.

I'll try to re-think that "back off a bit" and "give it a little time" part of my request. Keep myself real, as it were. :)

One aspect that no one has yet mentioned (that I’ve seen at least) is the possibility of flipping Fields mid-season.

Last year there were what, 60-some starting QBs used in the NFL?

Seems like some competitive team might find themselves in a CLE-type situation.

Just wildly speculating here, but I’d bet the Steelers could net a nice profit on their 6th round investment by sending him to such a team in such a situation.
That's actually a really good thought. Would take a few things to work out but not really wild that if either of them ran away with the job everyone would welcome a move if an opening existed.

And it was 66 QB's who started to be exact.

Interesting Ringer article by a guy who seems to be a believer.

Like many things, there is truth and speculation This was a good read. I think they could have waited to make a deal later. That said Poles wanted to get a deal done and I respect that. I think it was a mistake but still, I get it. There is also a lot that goes on we may never know that played a role in the decision-making. I believe when it is all said and done, Pittsburgh will look very good in how they negotiated the waters of trading for Fields.

He was traded for $50 and a case of beer and some of you think he a good shot to start in Pittsburgh, smh.
If Fields is equivalent to that, than what is Russ? Wooden nickel and a half a can of zima?
there are unique circumstances around Russ's situation that make the analogy inaccurate. The Steelers got a great value because of these circumstances.
You get what you pay for.

He was traded for $50 and a case of beer and some of you think he a good shot to start in Pittsburgh, smh.
If Fields is equivalent to that, than what is Russ? Wooden nickel and a half a can of zima?
there are unique circumstances around Russ's situation that make the analogy inaccurate. The Steelers got a great value because of these circumstances.
I got a hotel free once because someone else paid for it.
Oddly, the hotel was nice, kinda like if I had paid for it myself.

I got a hotel free once because someone else paid for it.
Oddly, the hotel was nice, kinda like if I had paid for it myself.
You wonder at all why your room got paid for twice in the last three years but the guys who paid for it didn’t want to stay there ever again?

Dead hookers in there would be my guess.

You
NFL QB IQ have any significant correlation with performance?

Copilot
NFL quarterbacks are often evaluated based on their cognitive abilities, including IQ, but how do these mental attributes correlate with on-field performance? Let’s explore the data:
  1. S2 Cognition Score:
  2. Wonderlic Test:
  3. College Completion Percentage:
In summary, while cognitive skills play a significant role in quarterback performance, traditional IQ tests like the Wonderlic have limited predictive value. The ability to process information quickly, make split-second decisions, and handle distractions appears to be more crucial for success on the field.

I think PIT takes a page out of the GB playbook and they sign him to a one year extension prior to the May 2 deadline.

First off, Fields wants to be in PIT. 2nd...he knows that he's not getting a $25M option picked up in 6 weeks. But PIT will want to have at least an option to continue the relationship past 2024 and the uncertain nature of Fields situation up until 5th year option deadline makes this ripe for a middle ground.

...and at that juncture, maybe the Russell starting rhetoric softens and Tomlin leaves the door open a crack

My crystal ball ... Russ starts. Does average. Tomlin looses patience. Fields comes in. Plays slightly above average. Steelers barely miss playoffs. Russ is gone in 2025. And PIT is trying to decide if they should take team option/sign Fields long term. In other words, PIT has put themselves in the same situation CHI was just in.
In general, i can agree with your crystal ball, with the caveat...if the Bears didn't have Carolina's pick then Fields would be a Bear this season. So not the same situation really.

I think his summer is going to be like Levis' last year.
He'll struggle and learn, maybe fall to third string, struggle and learn and then come on strong as the summer wraps up.

Sooo I don't think this debate/disagreement goes away any time soon.

First off, Fields wants to be in PIT. 2nd...he knows that he's not getting a $25M option picked up in 6 weeks. But PIT will want to have at least an option to continue the relationship past 2024 and the uncertain nature of Fields situation up until 5th year option deadline makes this ripe for a middle ground.
The way to do it, is give Fields a bonus, spread over the two years, and a salary of $25 mill (or whatever) in 2025, and if they cut him, they take the cap hit from the signing bonus.

There's middle ground to be had there, but there's no rush. They aren't picking up the option, so they can negotiate all summer if they want. It's totally possible they already have a deal in mind, but there is no real rush to get it done either.

Fields just needs to do whatever to get on the field. Play the game and see what happens. The contract will work itself out. The chip has to be big right now. It's all about 2024.

2025 will work itself out.

I think PIT takes a page out of the GB playbook and they sign him to a one year extension prior to the May 2 deadline.

...and at that juncture, maybe the Russell starting rhetoric softens and Tomlin leaves the door open a crack
We're making some assumptions here but I want to hear more.
Apparently Pickett did not feel like he was going to get a chance to start ahead of Wilson, what is the outlook for Fields?
NFC North is stacked, we've seen Cinci, Cleve, Balt and Pitt all lose their starting QBs for stretches of games.
I'm not saying Russ cannot go all 17 games but Lamar Jackson started 12 games in '21, 12 games in '22, Pickett 12 and 12 the last 2 seasons,
Burrow has missed half a season in 2 of his first 4 years in the NFL?
Deshaun Watson started 6 games last year for Cleveland.

What I'm saying is there is a good chance that Fields would see real game time this season or next. Russ has no guarantees for '25 that i know of.
It's an interesting place for Fields to land.

Apparently Pickett did not feel like he was going to get a chance to start ahead of Wilson, what is the outlook for Fields?
NFC North is stacked, we've seen Cinci, Cleve, Balt and Pitt all lose their starting QBs for stretches of games.
I'm not saying Russ cannot go all 17 games but Lamar Jackson started 12 games in '21, 12 games in '22, Pickett 12 and 12 the last 2 seasons,

What I'm saying is there is a good chance that Fields would see real game time this season or next. Russ has no guarantees for '25 that i know of.
Fields wanted to be in Pittsburgh for a reason.

.if the Bears didn't have Carolina's pick then Fields would be a Bear this season
I think they'd be exploring how to move up from 9.
Yeah, i dont disagree, but the premise was a similar situation to the Steelers. Do you expect a top 10 pick in 2025?
No for sure not to the bolded, I'd be more inclined to expect a playoff team.

But mainly I don't see agree with the premise you responded to that Steelers would find themselves in the same situation as the Bears would have found themselves if they did not have pick one of deciding between picking up his option or not because I don't think that was much of a consideration for the Bears is what I was trying to allude.

What's crazy about PIT is that the last 5 years, they're 48-34-1. The QB play they've gotten during that time has produced on average/season...

379 Completions
593 Attempts
6.37 YPA
21 TD's
13 INT's

49/118/2 rushing line

The Steelers find ways to win as well as any team in the NFL, but the QB play they've gotten the last 5 years has been atrocious.

If that rubs off on Fields and he realizes from the get-go he doesn't have to play hero ball, there might be something there. Say what you will about the kid, but he handled his business in a tough situation in A+ fashion, unlike Pickett.

Fields is a good example of why you should cash out and sell into hype, especially at the quarterback position. Fantasy football isn't real life. The list of Fields types is LONG. I pivoted to Lamar before '23. I've lost my share of trades, but I will add that one to the win column!
He was on championship teams this year and most likely the year before. His elite running certainly played a role in many playoff runs. You can sell too early as much as selling high. I agree that selling high on anyone at the right time is smart. Determining the right time is the trick you have to learn.
I cashed a ship with him in 2023 in a 16-team SF IDP where I took over and rebuild an orphan. $2K in my pocket - thank you, Mr Fields for your contributions to my team & bank account. :hifive: rest assured, I feel every bit as smart for that league victory as y’all do for selling before the bottom fell out.

And now I hold, hoping for a PIT reclamation project and a starting role in 2025.

So that, too, seems somewhat premature.

You may resume shoveling to y’all’s hearts content. :shrug:
Congrats on the chip!

I told you I'm a buyer now that he isn't being valued as a top-10 quarterback. He's a great QB3/4 in superflex.

Rapoport seems to think that Fields' agent/representation told the Bears he didn't want to play for at least 4 other teams who inquired. From all appearances, Poles was really trying to do right by Justin Fields. On one hand I respect the willingness to work with a guy who's done nothing but give his heart/soul/all for the team. On the other, the Bears had no obligation to follow Fields' wishes on where he wanted to play. If the difference was a '24 4th vs a '25 conditional 4th, I don't see it as a big deal. However, if Poles let a 2nd or 3rd go because Fields didn't want to play there, that's a problem.

Rapoport seems to think that Fields' agent/representation told the Bears he didn't want to play for at least 4 other teams who inquired. From all appearances, Poles was really trying to do right by Justin Fields. On one hand I respect the willingness to work with a guy who's done nothing but give his heart/soul/all for the team. On the other, the Bears had no obligation to follow Fields' wishes on where he wanted to play. If the difference was a '24 4th vs a '25 conditional 4th, I don't see it as a big deal. However, if Poles let a 2nd or 3rd go because Fields didn't want to play there, that's a problem.
think this is mostly PR spin, no way would he pass on a 2 or a 3, the difference was most likely miniscule if there was any at all

He wanted to go to a stable organization. One where he could develop. Chicago was neither of those.

What's crazy about PIT is that the last 5 years, they're 48-34-1. The QB play they've gotten during that time has produced on average/season...

379 Completions
593 Attempts
6.37 YPA
21 TD's
13 INT's

49/118/2 rushing line

The Steelers find ways to win as well as any team in the NFL, but the QB play they've gotten the last 5 years has been atrocious.

If that rubs off on Fields and he realizes from the get-go he doesn't have to play hero ball, there might be something there. Say what you will about the kid, but he handled his business in a tough situation in A+ fashion, unlike Pickett.
In the last 5 years:

2019 - Ben got hurt and the Steelers had to rely on Rudolph and Hodges
2020 - Ben came back somewhat diminished but still managed 33 TDs and 10 INTs with 3,800 yards passing. Ben couldn't move much and his deep ball suffered.
2021 - In Canada's 1st year and Ben's last, production dropped. But Ben still managed 3,700 yards with 22 TDs and 10 INTs.
2022 and 2023 - In 25 combined games, Pickett threw for 9 fewer TDs and 3 more INTs than broken-down Ben did only in 2021 under the same offensive coordinator.

The bar is low right now, the running game is strong, and the defense has multiple playmakers. Fields hasn't yet had the support he'd have in Pittsburgh, and personally, I'd rather see him start from day 1 because I don't believe WIlson makes them a contender.

The Poles PR spin on the score was almost sickening to listen to yesterday. They went with the angle that Poles is a better person than other GMs and this new approach is going to propel the franchise forward. Which fine... that's one angle to look at it from, but then they doubled down with how the NFL's old white ownership are dinosaurs and outdated on their thinking. Thats the reason people think its a bad trade.

The Poles PR spin on the score was almost sickening to listen to yesterday. They went with the angle that Poles is a better person than other GMs and this new approach is going to propel the franchise forward. Which fine... that's one angle to look at it from, but then they doubled down with how the NFL's old white ownership are dinosaurs and outdated on their thinking. Thats the reason people think its a bad trade.
Let me guess... Bernstein and Holmes?

So doing the best thing for the franchise you're working for is an old white thing?

Let me guess... Bernstein and Holmes?

So doing the best thing for the franchise you're working for is an old white thing?
Nailed it.

I think Dan's point was old white ownership still views players as assets with values. "New age" owners/GMs view players as people who have more leverage over their situations than ever before.

He wanted to go to a stable organization. One where he could develop. Chicago was neither of those.
Like how they developed Kenny Pickett?

Pickett just isn't good.

Playing with Russ, a good coach and good organization is about as much as he could hope for.

Pickett just isn't good.

Playing with Russ, a good coach and good organization is about as much as he could hope for.
You don't find it a little funny that Fields failing is the organization's fault, but Pickett failing is his own?

Users who are viewing this thread