What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Metalheads - Drop an album for the masses (2 Viewers)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
I feel like metal is just not appreciated enough around here, or elsewhere....

I use *metal* to encompass all the subgenres too, including black, death, sludge and so on...

But drop ONE album you wish others would give a listen to, front to back, to melt the paint off their walls.

For me, I cannot recommend Mastodon's "Leviathan" enough... Just absolutely shreds.

Black Sabbath's Paranoid would probably be a decent answer. It has "War Pigs," "Paranoid," "Iron Man," and my favorite off of the album, "Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots"

Hold my beer...

Judas Priest :headbang:

1978, 1980, 1982 and 1984...
Stained Class, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of Faith...these 4 albums stand abovet he rest IMHO, they released almost 20 all together.

We can point to a few songs but I would prefer to showcase them on stage which is where they separate themselves from many of the rest in this genre
May 29, 1983 they play a set on the heavy Metal day of the US Festival which had bands like Motley Crue in their early days, OZZY Osbourne, and ends with Van Halen at night.
But they absolutely blow all of them off the stage and I will play a clip of Halford coming out on a motorcycle thru the speakers on stage

Here is the entire set

My wife and I were like 8-10 years old when many of these albums were released so we found the Priests later in life.
We like to play their live shows sometimes at night after a really hard day of work, the Priest are quite the release
A lot of bands stink when they have to play a live set, not Judas Priest

Vulgar display of power....... Re....Spect.....Walk.....Are you talking to me????

For something more recent Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil has some great riffs, RIP the Rev
Just saw Pantera a couple months ago with Zakk Wylde playing guitar. Awesome show. They sounded great.

Vulgar display of power....... Re....Spect.....Walk.....Are you talking to me????

For something more recent Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil has some great riffs, RIP the Rev
Just saw Pantera a couple months ago with Zakk Wylde playing guitar. Awesome show. They sounded great.

One of 2 bands I never got to see that I'd kill to have seen (alongside Nirvana)

Every time I see the live version of Domination (from Russia) on youtube I want to run thru a wall. The GOAT live metal performance.

Anthrax - Among The Living
I believe I was in Iceland, and the Anthrax guys were there (only noticed because of Scott Ian) just 5ft away, standing in line to board to oslo. With the rest of us. Not first class, just like regular dudes. Stuck w me, it felt so odd.

Especially when a few minutes later I looked outside the terminal windows and saw the HUGE iron maiden "ed force one" was sitting on the tarmac.

Black Sabbath's Paranoid would probably be a decent answer. It has "War Pigs," "Paranoid," "Iron Man," and my favorite off of the album, "Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots"

If you go back and look at the songs that were popular around the time this came out, is there any question about who the godfathers of metal are?

One of 2 bands I never got to see that I'd kill to have seen (alongside Nirvana)

Every time I see the live version of Domination (from Russia) on youtube I want to run thru a wall. The GOAT live metal performance.
I saw them in the 90's with Dimebag. Worst concert I had ever been too! They seemed to spend more time goofing off than playing. I did love Dimebag's guitar tone.

I saw them in the 90's with Dimebag. Worst concert I had ever been too! They seemed to spend more time goofing off than playing. I did love Dimebag's guitar tone.

Ugh that sucks to hear.

Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Chriss is one of the most underrated guitar players from the 80s.
i second savatage. i can’t get album specific, i had so many back in the day. i loved WASP, all things DIO, every Maiden album. Accept i could handle in small doses. I was a Dokken and Ratt fan. Stryper if you love Christ like i do!! not really metal, but nowadays i lean towards sevendust, tool.

Lots of great albums listed so far. I will throw out Slayer - Reign in Blood. It is still my favorite album when working out after all these decades.
For Halloween every year all our neighborhood sets up in the driveway. Table with candy and decorations. Kids get bussed in. It’s great. Everyone participates.

I play Raining Blood on a loop. That thunder at the beginning and then the evil riff kicks in is so sick.

We’re definitely the “scary” house.

Saw Pantera open for Skid Row in the 90s. Fantastic show. Dimebag was an incredible guitarist. RIP.

Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Chriss is one of the most underrated guitar players from the 80s.
i second savatage. i can’t get album specific, i had so many back in the day. i loved WASP, all things DIO, every Maiden album. Accept i could handle in small doses. I was a Dokken and Ratt fan. Stryper if you love Christ like i do!! not really metal, but nowadays i lean towards sevendust, tool.
Love Dokken!!! Ratt were good too.

Skid Row had one great metal album:

Slave to the Grind.
Wayyy heavier than their debut and pretty darn respectable.

Love so many of these choices. I'd add Overkill, who put out some solid thrash in the late 80's/early 90's, Taking Over probably being my favorite of theirs with Under The Influence a close second.

Also even though they're way over the top I have a soft spot for Manowar, not sure if they're that good or it's a guilty pleasure.

But give me anything Sabbath (Ozzy or Ronnie) or Priest and I'm a pretty happy fella.

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake

I use *metal* to encompass all the subgenres too, including black, death, sludge and so on...

But drop ONE album you wish others would give a listen to, front to back, to melt the paint off their walls.

For me, I cannot recommend Mastodon's "Leviathan" enough... Just absolutely shreds.

Ashes of Leviathan Tour this summer celebrating the 20th anniversary of these incredible albums.

Ashes of Leviathan Tour this summer celebrating the 20th anniversary of these incredible albums.

Saw that. So incredibly bummed they arent anywhere near me in europe... And im missing the canadian dates by 2 weeks when i go home for a visit.

Mastodon is INCREDIBLE live. Will legitimately make you levitate. lamb of god crushes as well

Saw that. So incredibly bummed they arent anywhere near me in europe... And im missing the canadian dates by 2 weeks when i go home for a visit.

Mastodon is INCREDIBLE live. Will legitimately make you levitate. lamb of god crushes as well
I'll be at the Orlando, Florida show. It's at the Orlando Ampitheater. Outside. In the Summer. In July. 😓

Looks like Kerry King (Slayer guitarist) is opening with his band. That should be fun. His new album "From Hell I Rise" drops May 17th. Maybe I'll start a thread? :wink:

I'll be at the Orlando, Florida show. It's at the Orlando Ampitheater. Outside. In the Summer. In July. 😓

Looks like Kerry King (Slayer guitarist) is opening with his band. That should be fun. His new album "From Hell I Rise" drops May 17th. Maybe I'll start a thread? :wink:
I really liked the single I heard from King's new record. Not surprisingly, it sounded a whole lot like Slayer, which is a good thing in my opinion. I had really hoped he wasn't going to go off the rails experimenting with some new sound or something, and he didn't.

Out of curiosity, does anyone consider Appetite for Destruction metal now? Back then it pushed glam cause of their look. But a number of those songs are as hard as most metal these days that isn't considered Death Metal. Damn it was a great album. I remember my mom seeing the inside cover and wanting to take me to a psychiatrist :laugh:

Out of curiosity, does anyone consider Appetite for Destruction metal now? Back then it pushed glam cause of their look. But a number of those songs are as hard as most metal these days that isn't considered Death Metal. Damn it was a great album. I remember my mom seeing the inside cover and wanting to take me to a psychiatrist :laugh:
Definitely hard rock.

Users who are viewing this thread