What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (4 Viewers)

I still don't know if 3BP is good or not. Read me the premise prior to watching, I'd have thought debating between 8 or 9. Now I'm trying to justify watching the first season. It isn't terrible but it also isn't good.
Okay, so last night (wife and kids were away) I watched episodes 3 and 4 on an edible. Really enjoyed them. "The game" ( a plot device I didn't initially care for) was wrapped up decently enough to make sense and, oddly despite some of the posts I've read in here, episodes 3 and 4 actually have made things clearer for me (at least I think that was truly the show and not the edible). The London cast is still very miscast and I was able to predict the "twist" in episode four, but I actually feel like the show has a clearer direction with a now defined conflict to set up super episodes. I also really enjoyed what I'll call the "Little Red Riding Hood Conversation" and this show, compared to other alien movies/shows, actually seems quite plausible to me as to how our contact with aliens - should such ever happen - might actually go.

Traveling for work right now and am at a hotel wrapping up some work, but plan to watch a couple more episodes tonight.

I still don't know if 3BP is good or not. Read me the premise prior to watching, I'd have thought debating between 8 or 9. Now I'm trying to justify watching the first season. It isn't terrible but it also isn't good.
Okay, so last night (wife and kids were away) I watched episodes 3 and 4 on an edible. Really enjoyed them. "The game" ( a plot device I didn't initially care for) was wrapped up decently enough to make sense and, oddly despite some of the posts I've read in here, episodes 3 and 4 actually have made things clearer for me (at least I think that was truly the show and not the edible). The London cast is still very miscast and I was able to predict the "twist" in episode four, but I actually feel like the show has a clearer direction with a now defined conflict to set up super episodes. I also really enjoyed what I'll call the "Little Red Riding Hood Conversation" and this show, compared to other alien movies/shows, actually seems quite plausible to me as to how our contact with aliens - should such ever happen - might actually go.

Traveling for work right now and am at a hotel wrapping up some work, but plan to watch a couple more episodes tonight.
Good luck with (waves hands) all that.

I think we wrapped 3 Body etc. no idea, tbh... because it just seemed to end.
I had read the books and showed my 15yo son the previews and he thought it looked cool, so we watched together, and my wife joined in. They were pretty into it, and my wife was totally shocked at the Panama Canal scene, I had completely forgotten that from the book. Unfortunately, mentally gearing up for a potential alien war 400 years away isn't a good way to end a season and they were disappointed too. My son was like, "we didn't even get to see the aliens!?"

I will say that 3BP introduced some interesting concepts in this and the next couple books that I don't think I'd seen in a lot of other SciFi. I'm curious if they're going to get enough interest after the first season for the investment in future seasons.
I got curious about this and so I read up on the books a bit. (Note: I didn't actually read the books -- I just looked up reviews and summaries to see how the show compared to the source material).

I suppose this shouldn't have been surprising, but I learned that the books are are high-level "concept" sci-fi, and that the characters in the novels are just cardboard cutouts used to advance the plot so Cixin can explore his ideas. And of course, the characters in the books were apparently mostly or all Chinese. The result was that Netflix basically had to invent the characters more or less from whole cloth -- several characters in the show are mash-ups of assorted characters from the books, but it's not a one-to-one mapping or anything.

That explains why this series is so addictive despite being a typical Netflix production. The source material is genuinely interesting. It's just the "Netflix" part that blows. I know we're all shocked and amazed that the book might be better than the film adaptation, but still.
I was laughing out loud at the ending with the fate of a certain character that rhymes with Schmill . Like what was the point of him and why was he a main character? I liked it but it was dumb. So many wtf moments. Can’t wait till season 2!
Question I wonder is.. Are they going to jump 400 years, and thus the characters we know are gone.. Or is season two going to be another long drawn out story? :shrug:
They've got the cryosleep technology now to jump ahead so will be a mix.

The Signal (Netflix) is a German limited series, just 4 episodes long. It's essentially a long movie. I'm 3 episodes in and interested to see how it ends - this could have been a really crappy 8-episode show, but at 4 episodes, it's not too rambly.
I thought it ended well. Some surprises, but they made sense.

Is there another thread where discussion of Full Swing is taking place or is that in here?

Never thought I'd ever root for Keegan Bradley but my god, did Zach Johnson do him dirty. Liking JT less and less....
Keegs is a good guy. I like JT but man that is not a good look

Yeah, I've always liked JT somewhat, but that episode left a really bad impression on me. I know this is a television show and not a true documentary, so we're getting fed an edited story, but there's really no good reason to have left Keegan off the RC.

Two episodes left of 3-body problem and I still like it. Not great writing or acting but it’s an original sci-fi idea and that’s rare

Is there another thread where discussion of Full Swing is taking place or is that in here?

Never thought I'd ever root for Keegan Bradley but my god, did Zach Johnson do him dirty. Liking JT less and less....
Yeah... that wasn't a great look. At the time I thought I understood the choice, but man that documentary made Keegan look very sympathetic and made it look like ZJ just picked a buddy.

Yeah... that wasn't a great look. At the time I thought I understood the choice, but man that documentary made Keegan look very sympathetic and made it look like ZJ just picked a buddy.

Zach Johnson should be removed as captain immediately. The USA was embarrassed and he has to answer for how he captained that team.

Oh well, I've really enjoyed Season 2.

Zach Johnson should be removed as captain immediately. The USA was embarrassed and he has to answer for how he captained that team.

Did you finish yet?

Did you finish yet?

No, I've got 2 left I think? I'll finish it tonight if I can stay up past 9pm. :bag:

Okay finished up 3 Body Problem last night. Here's the review.

3 Body Problem (Netflix) - 7.5/10.

A lot of this has probably been said already, but the overarching plot and some of the philosophical questions posed by some of the scenes (I particularly liked the "Little Red Riding Hood" scene and fallout as well as the purely Machiavellian takes by the head MI5 guy). Also, I grew far less annoyed by many of the confusing plot points and scenes in the first couple of episodes because they do start to clear up by episode 3 and I thought the middle episodes (3-6) really saved the season. That said, the casting choices and the plotlines for some of the main characters are just baffling and the pacing throughout the season was off - which surprised me because the individual plotlines and pacing is what made the earlier seasons of GoTs so good and these are mostly the same writers and producers.

In short, definitely worth the watch and I'm going to give season two a shot, but this is unfortunately well short of true television masterpieces (e.g. GoTs, Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc.) and is more in the bucket with shows like Foundation, The Walking Dead, etc. where it's still interesting and entertaining but there are noticeable flaws.

Bonus tip: I enjoyed the show much more after a few mgs of an edible than sober.

Not streaming but Ill put it in here

Anyone check out Parish yet?
I watched the 1st episode and liked it. No commercial interruptions which was a bonus for an AMC show. Giancarlo Esposito is always $$ in a show, so that will keep me tuning in. My wife thought it looked promising too.
Interesting that both Cranston (Your Honor) and Esposito (Parish) end up in shows set in New Orleans.

A lot of this has probably been said already, but the overarching plot and some of the philosophical questions posed by some of the scenes (I particularly liked the "Little Red Riding Hood" scene and fallout as well as the purely Machiavellian takes by the head MI5 guy). Also, I grew far less annoyed by many of the confusing plot points and scenes in the first couple of episodes because they do start to clear up by episode 3 and I thought the middle episodes (3-6) really saved the season. That said, the casting choices and the plotlines for some of the main characters are just baffling and the pacing throughout the season was off - which surprised me because the individual plotlines and pacing is what made the earlier seasons of GoTs so good and these are mostly the same writers and producers.

In short, definitely worth the watch and I'm going to give season two a shot, but this is unfortunately well short of true television masterpieces (e.g. GoTs, Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc.) and is more in the bucket with shows like Foundation, The Walking Dead, etc. where it's still interesting and entertaining but there are noticeable flaws.

Bonus tip: I enjoyed the show much more after a few mgs of an edible than sober.
If there’s one thing that seems unanimous it’s that the casting director should be flipping burgers. Agree with your review

Older show, but I started watching Hell on Wheels (Prime) a few days ago. Finished the first season. I liked it.

That is all.
Ok, I finished Hell on Wheels tonight. It had the mark of a great Western - the good guys aren’t all that good and the bad guys aren’t all that bad.

Anson Mount kind of felt like a poor man’s Kurt Russell for awhile, but as the show went on, you could see that his range made the character special. That said, Christopher Heyerdahl stole every scene he was in.

I actually started watching to see Colm Meaney - Miles O’Brien in Star Trek (TNG and DS9) He plays an ******* pretty convincingly, perfect for a sleazy robber baron.

Finished it last night. I think I'm total agreement.

I have been slowly reading a book about Ryder Cup (John Feinstein). It’s a bit older but the theme is that Ryder Cup captain is a terrible job and they always screw it up or piss off everyone 😂

6.5 episodes into The Gentlemen and I'm enjoying it. Very Guy Ritchie, which is a positive for me. I liked that they showed the female lead just after working out, not in her makeup. Given how she was presented until that point, it had a good effect.
I also appreciated what didn't happen in the final scene. Good show, there better not be another season.

6.5 episodes into The Gentlemen and I'm enjoying it. Very Guy Ritchie, which is a positive for me. I liked that they showed the female lead just after working out, not in her makeup. Given how she was presented until that point, it had a good effect.
I also appreciated what didn't happen in the final scene. Good show, there better not be another season.
Ritchie has already done a movie with a very similar plot - called "The Gentlemen"...

Ritchie has already done a movie with a very similar plot - called "The Gentlemen"...

Yeah I went and watched the movie after episode 1. Sounds like it ties together loosely

Movie was ok, I think I’m 3 episodes into the series and liking it so far

The Signal (Netflix) is a German limited series, just 4 episodes long. It's essentially a long movie. I'm 3 episodes in and interested to see how it ends - this could have been a really crappy 8-episode show, but at 4 episodes, it's not too rambly.
Finished this one last night and I agree with Tick here. At 4 episodes, it was essentially a 2 night binge and there was enough of a story to want to see where it went. Nothing awe inspiring at all, but if you like the first episode, you'll like the series. And yeah, if it was 8 - 10 episodes, they would have really had to drag it along to fill and I probably would have bailed.

Came out in 2017, never heard of it but was on Prime this weekend so gave it a go and was pretty good, Last Flag Flying.

Bryan Cranston, Laurence Fishburne, Steve Carell. All served together in Vietnam, fast forward 30 years and Steve Carell loses his son. He collects up the other two to get his son and take him home. Pretty good watch.

Just finished episode 1 of Fallout. This looks just awesome and I like the (currently) multiple storyline introduction to the world. Very impressed so far.

Really liked all the care to Fallout details as well. Feels like a mix of 3 and 4 but more leaned into 4.

I had really been looking forward to Fallout and it delivered.

Oh baby! Where to start???
This series perfectly captures the feel of this bonkers game straight out of the vault. It is filled with Easter eggs and references that will have gamers jumping out of their seats, but there is enough suspenseful story to keep non-players interested and begging for more, too.

Walter Goggins has now stepped into rare air.
4.5/5

I had really been looking forward to Fallout and it delivered.

Oh baby! Where to start???
This series perfectly captures the feel of this bonkers game straight out of the vault. It is filled with Easter eggs and references that will have gamers jumping out of their seats, but there is enough suspenseful story to keep non-players interested and begging for more, too.

Walter Goggins has now stepped into rare air.
4.5/5
Watched the first 2. Love it. Not enough compliments.

My news feed has reviewers losing their minds over Fallout- Looking forward to diving in. Never played the game, but also never played any of the other recent game to TV shows and enjoyed them.

In other shows..

Shogun has been amazing and improving episode to episode.

Constellation has been good, but feels repetitive (were about ep8). Last couple episodes have been quite good out on that swedish lake.

Sugar had a really solid starting 2 episodes- looking forward to seeing it unfold, although the leads apparent vice feels pretty cliche despite the character being pretty cool.

Loved the first episode of Fallout. Amazing production value and attention to detail, tons of easter eggs, really nailed the look and feel of the games. Curious to hear opinions of others who haven’t played the games.

Show is pretty brutally gory but not bleak despite dealing with the horrors of a nuclear apocalypse. That was one of the things they have hit a homerun on in nailing the feel of the games. This isn’t The Walking Dead or The Last of Us where everything is completely depressing as there’s also a lot of comedy in the Fallout world and that can be tough to pull off given the setting and not be campy.

Loved the first episode of Fallout. Amazing production value and attention to detail, tons of easter eggs, really nailed the look and feel of the games. Curious to hear opinions of others who haven’t played the games.

Show is pretty brutally gory but not bleak despite dealing with the horrors of a nuclear apocalypse. That was one of the things they have hit a homerun on in nailing the feel of the games. This isn’t The Walking Dead or The Last of Us where everything is completely depressing as there’s also a lot of comedy in the Fallout world and that can be tough to pull off given the setting and not be campy.
Yeah. I've played them all so this is gonna be a fun ride. I did, however, make the mistake of reading some internet comments from gaming bros and god do they suck with their complaints. No one can just enjoy a ride anymore.

One thing I will note, be careful with online reviews. IDK when it became a normal thing for reviewers to totally drop major spoilers in their reviews with no warning, but they are out there. I was reading one this morning for Fallout that spoiled something for episode 3 I'd rather not know before I watched it. Seeing similar comments from others online about other different reviews spoiling things.

Fallout is good, enjoying it. Not huge into the game.

I can get on board with a lot of the cheesy stuff as it is an alternate world video game, but, for her not to shed her bunker clothes and try to fit in or at least disguise a little bit in a ruthless top world is just off the reservation. She'd have been taken advantage of and a lot worse right off the bat.

I really hope that Fallout has no plot and it's just the lone wanderer emerging from the vault, picking a direction and just going.

That would represent the game experience perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread