What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And the Denver starting RB goes to (1 Viewer)

How you figure. He's done nothing tonight to sew it up. But he likely already had it sewn up.

5 ypc is pretty good where I' m from. Tatums 5 for 12 ain't getting it done
Stats don't tell everything. Take out his big run and then calculate the YPC.
Yeah. I mean, really, big runs really shouldn't count. If you look at the great RBs thoughout history, you'll see the best managed to get the EXACT same yardage on every run, no big runs on the statsheet inflating their numbers or any negative runs pulling the YPC down and hiding their true glory.Hey Bristol, since we're taking out Mike Bells big run from that game, I think we should take out Tatum Bell's big run as well. Oh, wait...

Cobbs 5 for 21 and an 8 yarder taken off the board due to defensive penalty. Announcers saying Cobbs looks better than either Bell. Might not be over yet.

Sorry, I don't think they said better. Maybe the word was different. I dunno. I'm tired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I mean, really, big runs really shouldn't count. If you look at the great RBs thoughout history, you'll see the best managed to get the EXACT same yardage on every run, no big runs on the statsheet inflating their numbers or any negative runs pulling the YPC down and hiding their true glory.Hey Bristol, since we're taking out Mike Bells big run from that game, I think we should take out Tatum Bell's big run as well. Oh, wait...
Obviously, you know nothing about statistical analysis. Let's look at these numbers: 2, 2, 1, 24, 4. Add them up and you get 33. The average of the 5 numbers is 6.66. Now does that tell you waht is really going on in this string of numbers? The 24 is an outlier and should be considered the aberration instead of the standard. In any statistical analysis, when there is an obvious trend and then an outlier pops up, you need to look at the outlier and consider it is is starting a new trend or is a aberration. In this case, it is an aberration.My whole point was that this game showed nothing and sewed up nothing.

Cobbs 5 for 21 and an 8 yarder taken off the board due to defensive penalty. Announcers saying Cobbs looks better than either Bell. Might not be over yet.
It's the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game, is there anyone notable playing on defense for Arizona right now?

Obviously, you know nothing about statistical analysis. Let's look at these numbers: 2, 2, 1, 24, 4. Add them up and you get 33. The average of the 5 numbers is 6.66. Now does that tell you waht is really going on in this string of numbers? The 24 is an outlier and should be considered the aberration instead of the standard. In any statistical analysis, when there is an obvious trend and then an outlier pops up, you need to look at the outlier and consider it is is starting a new trend or is a aberration. In this case, it is an aberration.My whole point was that this game showed nothing and sewed up nothing.
If you understood statistical analysis you'd know that there are far too few carries to calculate anything remotely predicitive of Mike Bell's performance this season.

I understand statistical analysis, however, applying it to football doesn't really work. Here's the (main) reason why:You want outliers. You want your running back to have 3-4 outliers out of those 25 carries. Or 1 or 2 out of his 10-15. If I'm a head coach and I have to choose between a running back with 60 yard outlier in a game and a running back with no outliers, I'll pick the one with outliers every time.

It's the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game, is there anyone notable playing on defense for Arizona right now?
Don't know, but I doubt it. But, if Cobbs comes out for the next series I'd begin to worry a little if i was a Bell owner.Edit: Looks like it's Tatum Bell.And he ripped off a couple of long runs.

His average was 6.66 - I say that says a lot. If I am the coach I want the RB backed by the devil.

His average was 6.66 - I say that says a lot. If I am the coach I want the RB backed by the devil.
Especially if your Shanny. Do you think Skeletor summoned Mike Bell from the depths of Hell? Can we start the Hells Bell chants yet?

:no: if he was truely backed by the devil, his average would be 666, not 6.666667.

Mike Bell starts, Tatum gets 10-12 carries, Cobbs warms pine.

Those are your Denver Broncos in a nutshell, boys.

If you understood statistical analysis you'd know that there are far too few carries to calculate anything remotely predicitive of Mike Bell's performance this season.
Agreed. So why is this guy trying to annoint him the starter already? He based it on a small sample size that showed a negative trend.

I understand statistical analysis, however, applying it to football doesn't really work. Here's the (main) reason why:You want outliers. You want your running back to have 3-4 outliers out of those 25 carries. Or 1 or 2 out of his 10-15. If I'm a head coach and I have to choose between a running back with 60 yard outlier in a game and a running back with no outliers, I'll pick the one with outliers every time.
This makes no sense. I would much rather have a RB that cranks out 3 to 4 yards with every carry than one that normally gets 1 or 2 but MAY rip a long one. The numbers with consistency will pay off in the long run.

Agreed. So why is this guy trying to annoint him the starter already? He based it on a small sample size that showed a negative trend.
because the season starts next week and someone has to start?

Mike Bell starts, Tatum gets 10-12 carries, Cobbs warms pine.Those are your Denver Broncos in a nutshell, boys.
That's pretty much how it'll start. Cobbs will get a chance at some point, so it'll come down to what he does with it.The Denver announcers really seem to like the way Cobbs runs, that's for sure. They aren't talking about his results as much as they're talking about the power he runs with and how he can explode into a hole.

This makes no sense. I would much rather have a RB that cranks out 3 to 4 yards with every carry than one that normally gets 1 or 2 but MAY rip a long one. The numbers with consistency will pay off in the long run.
Because it's late and i'm bored, can you define outliers for me? Use rigorous statistical definitions please. TIA

because the season starts next week and someone has to start?
The original poster said that MBell was the starter because he averaged 5 YPC. What I am saying is wait and see what Shanny says. To annoint anyone the starter before that happens is ridiculous!I'd like to see MBell win it because I have him in a couple of leagues, but we need to wait this out and see what happens.

Because it's late and i'm bored, can you define outliers for me? Use rigorous statistical definitions please. TIA
An outlier is something strange and makes no sense. It could also be known as "Ministry of Pain"

I don't think statistical analysis or any other kind of process is going to help determine which guy Skeletor is going to go with...

I believe Mike Bell is going to get the first crack but no matter what, Tatum Bell will get his carries much like he did last year...

If Mike Bell struggles at all in the first couple of games much like Quentin Griffin did after his quick start with the Broncos in 2004, It could be Tatum, Cedric, Dayne revival, Door #2 or curtain #3. The joys of fantasy football and Shanahan-post Terrell Davis. You just never know.

Well said

Maybe because Shanny said that Mike Bell was the starter...much like Mike Anderson...he even said this early in the preseason...and has continued to start Mike Bell every week...why will that change in week 1?

Maybe because Shanny said that Mike Bell was the starter...much like Mike Anderson...he even said this early in the preseason...and has continued to start Mike Bell every week...why will that change in week 1?
Sorry if you missed the memo.He said that the #1 back spot was still up for grabs. Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

An outlier is something strange and makes no sense. It could also be known as "Ministry of Pain"
Wow dude...I thought you learned your lesson after last season...I see the tool knob is still cranked to maximum on you...but I'm flattered you think of me in so many threads. Cheers Bristol and have a great season.

Boys my phone just rang off the hook.....I'm hearing Tatum Bell will be annointed the starter as early as tomorrow morning. Tatum Bell leads the RB stat sheet tonight and had a short yardage TD to boot. Looks like Shanahan finally motivated Tatum Bell, after screwing with this guy's head for three years.

It actually varies. Either way even mentioning the term outlier in a sample size of 5 is ridiculous.

Sorry if you missed the memo.He said that the #1 back spot was still up for grabs. Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.
Uh oh...you mean Mike Bell hasn't started every preseason game after being annointed the starter for preseason game 1?

Wow dude...I thought you learned your lesson after last season...I see the tool knob is still cranked to maximum on you...but I'm flattered you think of me in so many threads. Cheers Bristol and have a great season.
Learned my lesson on what? You have a warped sense of reality. You should really seek mental help. If you need funds to do so, I will be more than happy to pitch in.

Let me do that for you.2,2,Outliers = touchdowns.3,3,3 = punts and field goals.Touch choice.

Yeah Bristol, the short bus is leaving the station. Don't miss your ride. You can also take away Dorsett's 99 yard run vs the Vikes and he doesn't hold the longest TD run record.

where I was gonna go with this is that yardage is not normally distributed - it's clearly one sided (F, I think?) , because you can't have negative yardage (ok, you can, but not likely at all). So - statistically speaking, 2, 2, 1, 24, 4 might be a realistic data sample, and 24 might not be an outlier.

Boys my phone just rang off the hook.....I'm hearing Tatum Bell will be annointed the starter as early as tomorrow morning. Tatum Bell leads the RB stat sheet tonight and had a short yardage TD to boot. Looks like Shanahan finally motivated Tatum Bell, after screwing with this guy's head for three years.
LMAO I love Shanahan, Mike Bell is back in the game and just ran for another 47 yards on 3 carries to have a much much better stat line than Bell. :lmao:

Great! Tatum had a few good runs in the late 4th against guys who probably will be bagging groceries by Monday. :yawn:

Learned my lesson on what? You have a warped sense of reality. You should really seek mental help. If you need funds to do so, I will be more than happy to pitch in.
Let's keep the personal wars out of this thread guys... It's bout Bell vs. Bell vs. Cedric not Bristol vs. MOP...Thanks guys. This thread has potential. Play nice :thumbup:

Cobbs 5 for 21 and an 8 yarder taken off the board due to defensive penalty. Announcers saying Cobbs looks better than either Bell. Might not be over yet.Sorry, I don't think they said better. Maybe the word was different. I dunno. I'm tired.
Dude...let it go.

LMAO I love Shanahan, Mike Bell is back in the game and just ran for another 47 yards on 3 carries to have a much much better stat line than Bell. :lmao:
Clearly Shanahan is looking at this through the eyes of an FF manager so Tatum wins on the TD.

Users who are viewing this thread