What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Match Ups Week 1 (2 Viewers)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Let’s take a look at week 1 and see who has great match ups and who has the tough ones…as always you want to start the studs you drafted.

Miami vs Pittsburgh

Ronnie Brown: Let’s look what Brown has done on the road against some of the better defenses…cause Pittsburgh is great against the run. @TB 9/22/1, 2/44, @SD 11/30, @NE 8/21, 2/13…Pittsburgh allows about 80 yds a game on the ground at home lately. Will Pitt be as good as they were last year…that’s sort of for you to decide but I think a little of the intensity will be lost. Big Ben out is not good but it might inspire that defense to not give an inch as they have Batch controlling the offense for the time being. This is not a good match up for Brown but he has been in the league only 1 year.

FWP: Miami’s run defense can be a little suspect on the road. This is a night game and not being played at JRS at 1:00PM where the heat and humidity in September are miserable for road teams. So I think FWP has a decent chance to put up some good numbers here…but wait a minute…with Big Ben out for the game, Miami will likely key on the run. In the overall picture, even if FWP gets 25 touches which I think is very likely, he might have a hard time having anything better than an average night.

Atlanta vs Carolina

Warrick Dunn: 8/17, 100/2Tds, 23yds, 16/76/1, 28/134/1, 16/80, 7/29…these are the games he has had playing the Panthers. The bigger games he had were in 2004 when Carolina was in a bit of a downturn…for some people he is an RB3 this week or maybe a flex starter. With no TJ Duckett he might get more work around the end zone. I would say Dunn’s match up is not optimum but he will rack a few yards as he has to get a certain amount of touches. What a game in week 1…division rivalry already.

DeShaun Foster: Atlanta appears as though they are still having trouble stopping the run. I expect DeShaun to get his season started off with a big game. The rushing match up favors the Panthers better than the passing game will. Look for Carolina to pound the football.

Baltimore vs Tampa Bay

Jamal Lewis: Has been nursing an injury the past 3 weeks. I don’t like the match up in Tampa. Tampa gave up 150 yds at home last season to Atlanta and 180 to Washington but everyone else got little to nothing on them. I wouldn’t be too excited about Lewis lining up this week.

“Cadillac”: Believe it or not Baltimore was actually pretty giving in the rushing dept on the road last season. They did draft a new DT in the draft named Ngata but he is a rookie and I don’t think they magically become world beaters because of that pick. I am sure Cadillac owners are worried about this match up but I think he will get loose and I expect him to total 100 yds in this game.

Buffalo at New England

Willis McGahee: NE was so desperate for help they went out and found Junior to play LB. I think McGahee will get plenty of snaps and he should total 100 yds in this contest IMO. He amassed 150+ total yds @NE last season.

Corey Dillon: With Maroney out Dillon will have a chance to put up one of his bigger games this season…I like Dillon to score and rush for 100 yds in this game. Dillon has feasted on Buffalo the past 2 seasons…check out these stats/points…100yds/1TD, 150+yds, 70/2TDs, 130/1TD…that’s his output in 4 dividional games the past 2 seasons. Dillon is a great play this week.

Cincinnati at Kansas City

Rudi Johnson: This is not as good a match up as some will think. KC was actually very good at keeping the rush in check at home last season…they gave up 200+ yds on the ground to both Denver and NYGiants but those games were on the road. Rudi is an impressive runner and the game Cinci played in week 17 last season where they lost 37-3…you have to throw that out the window. Rudi will cross the goal line but he might only rack up somewhere in the 50-75 yard range as I think this game will be settled thru the air.

Larry Johnson: I hope FF owners are not expecting the pinball numbers he got the last 8 weeks of the season again this year. I think LJ is gonna have to work hard for his yds this season…ever see him or Priest run a sweep left inside the 5 or 10 yd line the last 4 seasons? Never touched! Things will be different this year. This is a good match up though as Cinci looks like they still have not figured out how to stop the run. Maybe LJ will have a pinball game in week 1.

Denver at St Louis

MBell/TBell: Your guess is as good as mine. Mike Bell will likely touch the ball 1st but I expect there to be a rotation at RB as many of you presume as well. If you can avoid this situation the 1st week I would. St. Louis is not going to be great at stopping the run this season, and will offer some good match ups as the season progresses but trying to figure out which Denver RB to start may be a gamble at best.

Steven Jackson: Is he healthy? Has been nursing a bad heel. I don’t think this is a great match up as Denver has 3 very quick hard hitting LBs and they will show up ready to shut down the run. Most of their contests on the road last season the rush defense was very good. 6 of their contests they held the opposition to under 100 yds total rushing. @Jax 12(yes 12), @NYG 97, @Oak 60, @Dallas 85, @Buff 75, @SD 91…that’s a pretty good road record. Jackson may have to wait a week to get on track.

New Orleans at Cleveland

Reggie Bush: We have no idea how many plays he will be on the field for. My guess is he is brought along a little slow the 1st 3-4 games. They have Deuce and there is no reason to rush this guy. Still, look for him to touch the ball 10-15 times in the game so we will get a better feel for him after this week. I would not be starting him week 1.

Deuce McAllister: Looked good in preseason at times. He will likely get at least 15 carries in this contest. 75 yds and a TD are not out of the question for him in this contest. Cleveland has an improved defense but they were very giving last season on the ground even at home. Deuce might make a good option in the flex this weekend.

Reuben Droughns: I hate to pick on NO for last season as they had bigger problems than football but they were fairly easy to run on. Droughns should have a good game and Fraley was acquired from the Eagles, look for Droughns to find room…I expect him to post over 100yds and score at elast once on the ground this week. This will be one of his bigger games of the season.

NYJets at Tennessee

Barlow/Blaylock/Houston: I heard Blaylock was gonna be cut…he did carry the ball 25 times in the final preseason game, a sure sign a player is on the bubble at best. I heard Cedric Houston was going to be a casualty…but they are both still on the team. I would stay away from the Jets for a week till we get a clear idea who is going to carry the rock there.

Brown/Henry/White: This is a mess too. Brown is the starter one minute, the next it’s Henry. I think lenDale White is totally a bench player right now. Eventually Brown or Henry might get moved especially if a playoff caliber team has an injury early season you could see something happen there. Henry has 2 strikes against him though on the substance abuse policy…one more and he is gone for the entire season. Steer clear of the Titans right now.

Philly at Houston

Brian Westbrook: An injury risk right now…50/50 as to whether he can play this week or not. I would not start him this week. I think McNabb can pass Philly to a win this week anyways so stay away from Westy till he is at least probable and maybe after you have seen him play a week too.

Wali Lundy: He is the starter. I like him in a flex line up or position this week. Look for him to touch the ball 15-20 times during the game, probably will see action out of the backfield. May not cross the goal line but I don’t think 75-100 total yds is out of the question. In PPR leagues he is going to shine a little more.

Seattle at Detroit

Shaun Alexander: Interesting to see life after Hutch. He will do fine.

Kevin Jones: The Seahawks were really good against the run the 2nd half of last season. Mike martz is not going to hand the ball off to KJ 20-25 times a game so KJ will need to catch the ball in order to produce some points. I think KJ will have an OK game but could get shut down rushing. He is not a strong play this week.

Chicago at Green Bay

Thomas Jones: I like this play. He is starting and Cedric is not ready to go as this is being written. Benson may prove to vulture away a lot of carries as the season goes on but I think TJ will have a nice game this week. He has been nursing some injuries as well, still like him against a soft GB defense this week.

Ahman Green: He’s starting. He will get his shots but I don’t like this match up. Chicago is due to come back down to earth a bit on defense but Lovie Smith is a Tony Dungy disciple and there is also a good chance Chicago will still be pretty darn tough to rush on. Urlacher is free to roam and take heads off. Well the fact I wrote about Chicago the whole time instead of Ahman Green ought to tell you something. Not a strong play this week.

Dallas at Jax

Julius Jones: You know he is gonna split some carries with MBIII. Gonna be interesting to see if the Dallas OL is any good and the Jax DL will be a good test. I think Dallas will take to the air…they have a lot of weapons in the pass attack so don’t be surprised if this week Julius gets overlooked a bit in the game plan. Not a great match up this week.

Fred Taylor: Have you seen the Dallas defense this year yet? WoW! They look set tot ake on the world but real games will be the decider for them. I don’t like Taylor to get loose this week and Dallas will shut down the Jax rush attack.

San Fran at Arizona

Frank Gore: Like the match up for him. 100 yds and maybe a score.

Edge: We are going to find out real quick if the Cards can run the ball or not…cause if they can’t run it on San Fran’s rush defense then you better trade Edge for whatever you can get for him quickly. I expect Edge to do well this week…this is a great match up for him.

Indy at NYGiants

Dominic Rhodes: I expect him to start on the road. He’s a veteran and will pick up the blitz to help protect the real offense…Peyton manning and the pass attack. Lot of offense to go around in this game so Rhodes is likely to score at some point. Addai to me is a pinerider till he actually is named as a starter for this team.

Tiki Barber: Start him…did you need me to say that? Didn’t think so.

Minnesota at Washington

Chester Taylor: Not this week. I expect Washington to play hard on defense and shut down the running game…I don’t like Taylor. Anyone actually ever see Chester Taylor? 5’11” 210 lbs…if he is actually that big I’m surprised. You’ve heard the term “he plays big”…Taylor plays small IMO. Bad match up this week.

Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts/TJ Duckett: Duckett is still learning the offense, I expect him to touch the ball very little in the 1st week. If Portis cannot play than I think Betts might actually be a decent play this weekend. You will need to watch the injury reports but Gibbs has said Portis is doubtful for week 1.

San Diego at Oakland

LaDainian Tomlinson: Huge game on Monday Night…what do you want to hear? 150+yds and 2TDs? OK

Lamont Jordan: Losing Steve Foley may not hurt the Chargers rush defense as much as some think. He is better as pass rusher and can sometimes be a liability in one on one coverage with a RB. Jordan has his work cut out for him. 36 yds and 55 yds rushing in the 2 games last season…did score 2 TDs in the 1st contest. You have to start Jordan but I don’t see this as a great match up for him.

OK, chime in and play nice, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree on waiting on Westbrook. I drafted him with some trepidation. Will play Gore over him (or possibly a QB - it is a utility position)

I'm willing to give Chester a chance, though I do have Foster behind him. I tend to start who I drafted earlier the first couple of weeks without much regard to matchups :shrug:

Very nice write up!

Agree on waiting on Westbrook. I drafted him with some trepidation. Will play Gore over him (or possibly a QB - it is a utility position)I'm willing to give Chester a chance, though I do have Foster behind him. I tend to start who I drafted earlier the first couple of weeks without much regard to matchups :shrug:Very nice write up!
Chester vs Washington or Foster vs Atlanta? Atlanta cannot stop the run...I like Foster a lot better than Chester this week. Don't let draft position dictate what you want to do..at this point draft slots have nothing to do with production.

[Chester vs Washington or Foster vs Atlanta? Atlanta cannot stop the run...I like Foster a lot better than Chester this week. Don't let draft position dictate what you want to do..at this point draft slots have nothing to do with production.
Well, based on your write up, I knew this was your preference. :D . I would argue,that, Week One, draft slots do have a role. You draft according to who you think will produce most in the regular season. When you submit your line up, you have not seen them play reg. season, so theoreticaly nothing has changed. After that, I agree. I would never sit a proven player for a less proven one just because of who I drafted first. But no one is proven to me yet for this season. That said, I mainly had Foster below Taylor because of injury risk; since he's healthy, I could make the argument to start him. And, I guess you could also make the argument that Foster is more proven because Chester has not been a starter. Hmmm....just had this draft today and may have some more thinking to do.

I'm struggling with a Chester Taylor start v. Corey Dillon start. The Dillon start looks great-backfield to himself, relying on the run game until the Wr's get sorted out, etc. I am in a PPR league though, so Taylor does make it a hard decision. Anyone have any thoughts on Taylors receiving production this week if they can't run it on Wash. I see 5 catches easy.

The Lamont verdict is dead-on. The only way I see him having a big game is if gets a few short passes near the goal-line. The Raiders really haven't been able to run on SD for the last couple of years no matter who they used. From best I can tell it shouldn't be any different this year.

Let’s take a look at week 1 and see who has great match ups and who has the tough ones…as always you want to start the studs you drafted.

Miami vs Pittsburgh

Ronnie Brown: Let’s look what Brown has done on the road against some of the better defenses…cause Pittsburgh is great against the run. @TB 9/22/1, 2/44, @SD 11/30, @NE 8/21, 2/13…Pittsburgh allows about 80 yds a game on the ground at home lately. Will Pitt be as good as they were last year…that’s sort of for you to decide but I think a little of the intensity will be lost. Big Ben out is not good but it might inspire that defense to not give an inch as they have Batch controlling the offense for the time being. This is not a good match up for Brown but he has been in the league only 1 year.

FWP: Miami’s run defense can be a little suspect on the road. This is a night game and not being played at JRS at 1:00PM where the heat and humidity in September are miserable for road teams. So I think FWP has a decent chance to put up some good numbers here…but wait a minute…with Big Ben out for the game, Miami will likely key on the run. In the overall picture, even if FWP gets 25 touches which I think is very likely, he might have a hard time having anything better than an average night.

Atlanta vs Carolina

Warrick Dunn: 8/17, 100/2Tds, 23yds, 16/76/1, 28/134/1, 16/80, 7/29…these are the games he has had playing the Panthers. The bigger games he had were in 2004 when Carolina was in a bit of a downturn…for some people he is an RB3 this week or maybe a flex starter. With no TJ Duckett he might get more work around the end zone. I would say Dunn’s match up is not optimum but he will rack a few yards as he has to get a certain amount of touches. What a game in week 1…division rivalry already.

DeShaun Foster: Atlanta appears as though they are still having trouble stopping the run. I expect DeShaun to get his season started off with a big game. The rushing match up favors the Panthers better than the passing game will. Look for Carolina to pound the football.

Baltimore vs Tampa Bay

Jamal Lewis: Has been nursing an injury the past 3 weeks. I don’t like the match up in Tampa. Tampa gave up 150 yds at home last season to Atlanta and 180 to Washington but everyone else got little to nothing on them. I wouldn’t be too excited about Lewis lining up this week.

“Cadillac”: Believe it or not Baltimore was actually pretty giving in the rushing dept on the road last season. They did draft a new DT in the draft named Ngata but he is a rookie and I don’t think they magically become world beaters because of that pick. I am sure Cadillac owners are worried about this match up but I think he will get loose and I expect him to total 100 yds in this game.

Buffalo at New England

Willis McGahee: NE was so desperate for help they went out and found Junior to play LB. I think McGahee will get plenty of snaps and he should total 100 yds in this contest IMO. He amassed 150+ total yds @NE last season.

Corey Dillon: With Maroney out Dillon will have a chance to put up one of his bigger games this season…I like Dillon to score and rush for 100 yds in this game. Dillon has feasted on Buffalo the past 2 seasons…check out these stats/points…100yds/1TD, 150+yds, 70/2TDs, 130/1TD…that’s his output in 4 dividional games the past 2 seasons. Dillon is a great play this week.

Cincinnati at Kansas City

Rudi Johnson: This is not as good a match up as some will think. KC was actually very good at keeping the rush in check at home last season…they gave up 200+ yds on the ground to both Denver and NYGiants but those games were on the road. Rudi is an impressive runner and the game Cinci played in week 17 last season where they lost 37-3…you have to throw that out the window. Rudi will cross the goal line but he might only rack up somewhere in the 50-75 yard range as I think this game will be settled thru the air.

Larry Johnson: I hope FF owners are not expecting the pinball numbers he got the last 8 weeks of the season again this year. I think LJ is gonna have to work hard for his yds this season…ever see him or Priest run a sweep left inside the 5 or 10 yd line the last 4 seasons? Never touched! Things will be different this year. This is a good match up though as Cinci looks like they still have not figured out how to stop the run. Maybe LJ will have a pinball game in week 1.

Denver at St Louis

MBell/TBell: Your guess is as good as mine. Mike Bell will likely touch the ball 1st but I expect there to be a rotation at RB as many of you presume as well. If you can avoid this situation the 1st week I would. St. Louis is not going to be great at stopping the run this season, and will offer some good match ups as the season progresses but trying to figure out which Denver RB to start may be a gamble at best.

Steven Jackson: Is he healthy? Has been nursing a bad heel. I don’t think this is a great match up as Denver has 3 very quick hard hitting LBs and they will show up ready to shut down the run. Most of their contests on the road last season the rush defense was very good. 6 of their contests they held the opposition to under 100 yds total rushing. @Jax 12(yes 12), @NYG 97, @Oak 60, @Dallas 85, @Buff 75, @SD 91…that’s a pretty good road record. Jackson may have to wait a week to get on track.

New Orleans at Cleveland

Reggie Bush: We have no idea how many plays he will be on the field for. My guess is he is brought along a little slow the 1st 3-4 games. They have Deuce and there is no reason to rush this guy. Still, look for him to touch the ball 10-15 times in the game so we will get a better feel for him after this week. I would not be starting him week 1.

Deuce McAllister: Looked good in preseason at times. He will likely get at least 15 carries in this contest. 75 yds and a TD are not out of the question for him in this contest. Cleveland has an improved defense but they were very giving last season on the ground even at home. Deuce might make a good option in the flex this weekend.

Reuben Droughns: I hate to pick on NO for last season as they had bigger problems than football but they were fairly easy to run on. Droughns should have a good game and Fraley was acquired from the Eagles, look for Droughns to find room…I expect him to post over 100yds and score at elast once on the ground this week. This will be one of his bigger games of the season.

NYJets at Tennessee

Barlow/Blaylock/Houston: I heard Blaylock was gonna be cut…he did carry the ball 25 times in the final preseason game, a sure sign a player is on the bubble at best. I heard Cedric Houston was going to be a casualty…but they are both still on the team. I would stay away from the Jets for a week till we get a clear idea who is going to carry the rock there.

Brown/Henry/White: This is a mess too. Brown is the starter one minute, the next it’s Henry. I think lenDale White is totally a bench player right now. Eventually Brown or Henry might get moved especially if a playoff caliber team has an injury early season you could see something happen there. Henry has 2 strikes against him though on the substance abuse policy…one more and he is gone for the entire season. Steer clear of the Titans right now.

Philly at Houston

Brian Westbrook: An injury risk right now…50/50 as to whether he can play this week or not. I would not start him this week. I think McNabb can pass Philly to a win this week anyways so stay away from Westy till he is at least probable and maybe after you have seen him play a week too.

Wali Lundy: He is the starter. I like him in a flex line up or position this week. Look for him to touch the ball 15-20 times during the game, probably will see action out of the backfield. May not cross the goal line but I don’t think 75-100 total yds is out of the question. In PPR leagues he is going to shine a little more.

Seattle at Detroit

Kevin Jones: The Seahawks were really good against the run the 2nd half of last season. Mike martz is not going to hand the ball off to KJ 20-25 times a game so KJ will need to catch the ball in order to produce some points. I think KJ will have an OK game but could get shut down rushing. He is not a strong play this week.

Chicago at Green Bay

Thomas Jones: I like this play. He is starting and Cedric is not ready to go as this is being written. Benson may prove to vulture away a lot of carries as the season goes on but I think TJ will have a nice game this week. He has been nursing some injuries as well, still like him against a soft GB defense this week.

Ahman Green: He’s starting. He will get his shots but I don’t like this match up. Chicago is due to come back down to earth a bit on defense but Lovie Smith is a Tony Dungy disciple and there is also a good chance Chicago will still be pretty darn tough to rush on. Urlacher is free to roam and take heads off. Well the fact I wrote about Chicago the whole time instead of Ahman Green ought to tell you something. Not a strong play this week.

Dallas at Jax

Julius Jones: You know he is gonna split some carries with MBIII. Gonna be interesting to see if the Dallas OL is any good and the Jax DL will be a good test. I think Dallas will take to the air…they have a lot of weapons in the pass attack so don’t be surprised if this week Julius gets overlooked a bit in the game plan. Not a great match up this week.

Fred Taylor: Have you seen the Dallas defense this year yet? WoW! They look set tot ake on the world but real games will be the decider for them. I don’t like Taylor to get loose this week and Dallas will shut down the Jax rush attack.

San Fran at Arizona

Frank Gore: Like the match up for him. 100 yds and maybe a score…he needs to as Michael Robinson a rookie you may not be familiar with is hot on his heels for playing time. I expect for MRob to get in the game at some point, watch for him. He is 6’1” and 225 lbs, he played at Penn State last season and racked up 800 yds 4.9ypc and 11 TDs…he also split time while he was there so he wasn’t the feature back always…I look for him to push Gore…and eventually vulture away TDs. Oh yeah, Gore is a decent play this week.

Edge: We are going to find out real quick if the Cards can run the ball or not…cause if they can’t run it on San Fran’s rush defense then you better trade Edge for whatever you can get for him quickly. I expect Edge to do well this week…this is a great match up for him.

Indy at NYGiants

Dominic Rhodes: I expect him to start on the road. He’s a veteran and will pick up the blitz to help protect the real offense…Peyton manning and the pass attack. Lot of offense to go around in this game so Rhodes is likely to score at some point. Addai to me is a pinerider till he actually is named as a starter for this team.

Tiki Barber: Start him…did you need me to say that? Didn’t think so.

Minnesota at Washington

Chester Taylor: Not this week. I expect Washington to play hard on defense and shut down the running game…I don’t like Taylor. Anyone actually ever see Chester Taylor? 5’11” 210 lbs…if he is actually that big I’m surprised. You’ve heard the term “he plays big”…Taylor plays small IMO. Bad match up this week.

Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts/TJ Duckett: Duckett is still learning the offense, I expect him to touch the ball very little in the 1st week. If Portis cannot play than I think Betts might actually be a decent play this weekend. You will need to watch the injury reports but Gibbs has said Portis is doubtful for week 1.

San Diego at Oakland

LaDainian Tomlinson: Huge game on Monday Night…what do you want to hear? 150+yds and 2TDs? OK

Lamont Jordan: Losing Steve Foley may not hurt the Chargers rush defense as much as some think. He is better as pass rusher and can sometimes be a liability in one on one coverage with a RB. Jordan has his work cut out for him. 36 yds and 55 yds rushing in the 2 games last season…did score 2 TDs in the 1st contest. You have to start Jordan but I don’t see this as a great match up for him.

Portis may not play but at not time(including today's press coference) has gibbs ever said that he was doubtful. If he doesn't practice this week he probably won't play. That's from Gibbs. Anything else you heard is bull####.

I'm struggling with a Chester Taylor start v. Corey Dillon start. The Dillon start looks great-backfield to himself, relying on the run game until the Wr's get sorted out, etc. I am in a PPR league though, so Taylor does make it a hard decision. Anyone have any thoughts on Taylors receiving production this week if they can't run it on Wash. I see 5 catches easy.
Hi KingI think Dillon is a great start this week as I talked about up top. Maroney is not playing...Faulk will spell him on 3rd downs but Dillon could easily rack 100 yds and have 1-2TDs on Sunday as they get their WR situation settled down...my take anyways.Taylor has a lot of questions and hasn't looked real good up to this point. I would be nervous starting him on the road at Washington week 1.

I like to start the year of good but in my money league I have Portis out and C. Taylor facing a tough D in Washington. That is why I was tempted to grab Lundy for B. Jacobs (have Tiki).

I guess I have to go with Tiki and C. Taylor and hope for the best.

Great post by the way.

San Fran at Arizona

Frank Gore: Like the match up for him. 100 yds and maybe a score…he needs to as Michael Robinson a rookie you may not be familiar with is hot on his heels for playing time. I expect for MRob to get in the game at some point, watch for him. He is 6’1” and 225 lbs, he played at Penn State last season and racked up 800 yds 4.9ypc and 11 TDs…he also split time while he was there so he wasn’t the feature back always…I look for him to push Gore…and eventually vulture away TDs. Oh yeah, Gore is a decent play this week.

Michael Robinson split time at Penn State? Try he wasn't even a RB. :wall: Hope I'm still playing nice, wouldn't want to break the MoP thread rules...

Portis may not play but at not time(including today's press coference) has gibbs ever said that he was doubtful. If he doesn't practice this week he probably won't play. That's from Gibbs. Anything else you heard is bull####.
Hey Skins,First off in the future you don't have to quote that whole post just for 1 player...you can delete it in the reply board you write in. There has been a lot of info going back and forth whether he will play/won't play. I just wanted to offer my take if he can't go. Thanks for the clear up.

I think Dillon is a great start this week as I talked about up top. Maroney is not playing...Faulk will spell him on 3rd downs but Dillon could easily rack 100 yds and have 1-2TDs on Sunday as they get their WR situation settled down...my take anyways.
Agree. Do you think Dillon also benefits from the whole Branch thing and being someone who Brady is used to?

I like to start the year of good but in my money league I have Portis out and C. Taylor facing a tough D in Washington. That is why I was tempted to grab Lundy for B. Jacobs (have Tiki).

Great post by the way.
I have Portis and I'm waiting for Gibbs or somebody on the team to say that he's not playing. Who told you he was out? Gibbs never said it in any press conference(including today's). That said, I hope he sits this week and next just to make sure he's close to 100%.

Great post by the way.
Thanks Detfan, I will be doing these most weeks of the season. (Peanut Gallery groans) :D Brandon Jacobs has looked pretty good..if Tiki went down you want to have that back up. Tiki might make up for part of the RB2 slot you have to fill.

The trickiest plays this week involve the Denver, Houston and NO backfields. Legitimate cases could be made for all six backs vying for carries on those teams, and we will undoubtedly have the following I-told-you-so-situations:

"Yeah, Reggie is really a top ten back this year :rolleyes: "

"Yeah, Deuce is really going to limit Reggie this year :rolleyes: "

"Yeah, Lundy is going to be ROY alright :rolleyes: "

"Yeah, I guess Lundy is going to get replaced by Dayne next week :rolleyes: "

"Yeah, Mike Bell is totally going to be this year's Mike Anderson :rolleyes: "

"Yeah, Tater and Cobbs are clearly going to unseat Mike Bell in no time :rolleyes: "

Unfortunately I have an unfriendly combination of all the above players and in some cases NEED to decide who I'm going to start out of them...

Hey Skins,First off in the future you don't have to quote that whole post just for 1 player...you can delete it in the reply board you write in. There has been a lot of info going back and forth whether he will play/won't play. I just wanted to offer my take if he can't go. Thanks for the clear up.
Will do. Not sure what difference it makes and if I remember, I'll delete next time. Not going to sweat it though. As for Portis, watch practice. As an owner of Portis, I want to hear that he's not playing this week or next. I didn't draft him thinking he'd be playing the 1st 2 weeks and I really don't want him to.

San Fran at Arizona

Michael Robinson split time at Penn State? Try he wasn't even a RB. :wall: Hope I'm still playing nice, wouldn't want to break the MoP thread rules...
Excellent point, duly noted, removed from uptop...thanks Cringe.

Andy Reid on Westbrook

-Monday, September 04, 2:25 PM EST (Week Pre-season)

News Story: Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday that RB Brian Westbrook (foot) looks like he'll play at Houston in Week 1. Westbrook missed four of five preseason games with a sprained foot. "He's getting there," Reid said. "I'm not going to get into all of the percentages, but he's getting in there and he's feeling more comfortable. I think he's ready to go and I'm not too worried about that."

Source: SportsTicker

Thanks for the post MOP.

I think for the most part you got most of them right.

I am really struggling with a couple of decisions this up coming week and this just confirms my main problem of my biggest decision this week; starting Jordan vs Foster. I think Jordan is going to score this week and until I know who the goaline back is in Carolina it is going to be hard to start Foster this week.

I think Foster has a good yardage week but don't know if it will be enough if he doesn't find the end zone.

I am really curious as to find out who is going to get goaline work in Carolina. I think Foster will get the first shot.

Andy Reid on Westbrook-Monday, September 04, 2:25 PM EST (Week Pre-season)News Story: Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday that RB Brian Westbrook (foot) looks like he'll play at Houston in Week 1. Westbrook missed four of five preseason games with a sprained foot. "He's getting there," Reid said. "I'm not going to get into all of the percentages, but he's getting in there and he's feeling more comfortable. I think he's ready to go and I'm not too worried about that."Source: SportsTicker
See, this is good stuff. OK, so Westbrook owners can breathe a little easier.

Great Work

Curious as to how much difference a defense performs against the run at home and on the road. Did you find the numbers to be a lot different? I have typically just looked at the strength of the team's rushing defense, but perhaps I have been overlooking something.

Andy Reid on Westbrook-Monday, September 04, 2:25 PM EST (Week Pre-season)News Story: Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday that RB Brian Westbrook (foot) looks like he'll play at Houston in Week 1. Westbrook missed four of five preseason games with a sprained foot. "He's getting there," Reid said. "I'm not going to get into all of the percentages, but he's getting in there and he's feeling more comfortable. I think he's ready to go and I'm not too worried about that."Source: SportsTicker
See, this is good stuff. OK, so Westbrook owners can breathe a little easier.
btw-Monday, September 04, 2:21 PM EST (Week Pre-season)News Story: Eagles coach Andy Reid explained what RB Correll Buckhalter will be doing in the Week 1 game at Houston. "He'll work into the game and play," Reid said. "He'll be in there working with Brian (Westbrook). On certain plays he'll have an opportunity to get in there and spot Brian, so that's why we kept him here. We felt coming out of the Pittsburgh game that he was ready to go and could be very productive for us."Source: SportsTicker

Great post MoP .. as usual

Don't overlook KFaulk this week ... :wub: ... with the WR mess and Maroney likely out Faulk will suddenly become Brady's best friend, well next to Watson that is!

Look for 6/24/0 - 7/63/1 ... nice day in the neighborhood

:whistle:

Great WorkCurious as to how much difference a defense performs against the run at home and on the road. Did you find the numbers to be a lot different? I have typically just looked at the strength of the team's rushing defense, but perhaps I have been overlooking something.
I think most teams do play different on the road..for example Denver really only had 2 awful games against the rush last season and they were on the road...so I like to look at how defenses do when they are away and home, hope that helps.

Shhhh.

Great post MoP .. as usualDon't overlook KFaulk this week ... :wub: ... with the WR mess and Maroney likely out Faulk will suddenly become Brady's best friend, well next to Watson that is! Look for 6/24/0 - 7/63/1 ... nice day in the neighborhood :whistle:
Good stuff MM, not sure I would want to wheel out KFaulk week1, but I like you going out on a limb...most are not willing to do that.Oddsmaker may be unrolling later this week, hope to see you in there again.

Great post

I agree 100 percent with the Dillon numbers. I think he puts to rest this week all the talk about Maroney taking over this year :banned:

Great post MOP.

I think Bush could be a good sell high candidate if he has a good game this week against a mediocre Cleveland run D.

Great post MOP.I think Bush could be a good sell high candidate if he has a good game this week against a mediocre Cleveland run D.
Bush will be an interesting play....How many touches will he get as a RB ? What kind of numbers can we expect him to get receiving the ball ? We do know he's a threat to break one when he does touch the ball so this one should be interesting to see whether the Saints force the ball into his hands or stay within their offense.

I hope Portis can go, without him that offense is going to struggle big time.
If the Washington offense struggles without Portis, that means the D might be on the field a lot. I could see Chester Taylor running up some good 4th quarter numbers against a tired D. Just a thought.

:thumbup: I had been hedging between T Jones & K Jones until I read this post. Awesome work by the author.

I agree with this. parker will have a nice night vs a very overrated and shaky Dolphins run D.

Baltimore vs Tampa BayJamal Lewis: Has been nursing an injury the past 3 weeks. I don’t like the match up in Tampa. Tampa gave up 150 yds at home last season to Atlanta and 180 to Washington but everyone else got little to nothing on them. I wouldn’t be too excited about Lewis lining up this week.

Lewis is an easy call but I don't think Caddy will have a lot of running lanes. Baltimore played with a lot of injuries on defense this year and should be good against the run this year. I don't think Caddy will find too many lanes. Since he isn't involved in the passing game 100 yards is a reach. I'd say more tlike 70 with a TD.

Baltimore vs Tampa BayJamal Lewis: Has been nursing an injury the past 3 weeks. I don’t like the match up in Tampa. Tampa gave up 150 yds at home last season to Atlanta and 180 to Washington but everyone else got little to nothing on them. I wouldn’t be too excited about Lewis lining up this week.b]“Cadillac”: Believe it or not Baltimore was actually pretty giving in the rushing dept on the road last season. They did draft a new DT in the draft named Ngata but he is a rookie and I don’t think they magically become world beaters because of that pick. I am sure Cadillac owners are worried about this match up but I think he will get loose and I expect him to total 100 yds in this game

This is a bigtime hit or miss game for Dillon. I think NE will be throwing a lot in this game to prove doubters wrong and Dillon will be a good play in TD only leagues. Buffalo is a team to sit back and gage because most people think they will be bad and I don't. I think Dillon is a Flex play and no better.

Rudi Johnson: This is not as good a match up as some will think. KC was actually very good at keeping the rush in check at home last season…they gave up 200+ yds on the ground to both Denver and NYGiants but those games were on the road. Rudi is an impressive runner and the game Cinci played in week 17 last season where they lost 37-3…you have to throw that out the window. Rudi will cross the goal line but he might only rack up somewhere in the 50-75 yard range as I think this game will be settled thru the air

This is a good match-up and I'm a Rudi hater.

LJ will have a huge game here. Cincy is not good against the run especially when they are behind. This will be a good game and KC will go to the well a lot. LJ gets a receiving TD in this game and although he will not put up numbers like last season, the Roaf departure is very overrated.

MBell/TBell: Your guess is as good as mine. Mike Bell will likely touch the ball 1st but I expect there to be a rotation at RB as many of you presume as well. If you can avoid this situation the 1st week I would. St. Louis is not going to be great at stopping the run this season, and will offer some good match ups as the season progresses but trying to figure out which Denver RB to start may be a gamble at best

Agreed. It may be tough to gage what these guys will do and the only hope for fantasy owners is a clear cut choice. I think we are in for a lot of Mike Bell had 110 yards and 2 TDs on my bench because Shanny said Tatum was the guy type of posts all year. I think both are decent starts vs the Rams though.

Denver at St LouisMBell/TBell: Your guess is as good as mine. Mike Bell will likely touch the ball 1st but I expect there to be a rotation at RB as many of you presume as well. If you can avoid this situation the 1st week I would. St. Louis is not going to be great at stopping the run this season, and will offer some good match ups as the season progresses but trying to figure out which Denver RB to start may be a gamble at best

Denver will stop the run but the Rams passing game should be fine this week and all year playing from behind a lot.

NYJets at Tennessee

Brown/Henry/White: This is a mess too. Brown is the starter one minute, the next it’s Henry. I think lenDale White is totally a bench player right now. Eventually Brown or Henry might get moved especially if a playoff caliber team has an injury early season you could see something happen there. Henry has 2 strikes against him though on the substance abuse policy…one more and he is gone for the entire season. Steer clear of the Titans right now
Hopefully no one has to watch this game on TV. Terrible.

Philly at Houston

Link? Seriously Westbrook is a great start this week. GREAT START.

I don't think so. Eagles will eat up Houston and it will be 21-0 before Houston can move. I'd play Lundy only if my other RBs were Fred Taylor and Ahman Green.

Yes he will. If he is healthy all year he should be the #1 fantasy player once again.

Agreed. I'll be at this game with Roy and SA in play and my Hawks playing in my hometown. :thumbup:

Agreed

Obvious

Fred Taylor: Have you seen the Dallas defense this year yet? WoW! They look set tot ake on the world but real games will be the decider for them. I don’t like Taylor to get loose this week and Dallas will shut down the Jax rush attack
I don't think Taylor is a good play this week but Dallas' defense is very overrated on this board. They have the fourth best unit in their division.

San Fran at Arizona

[

b]Edge: We are going to find out real quick if the Cards can run the ball or not…cause if they can’t run it on San Fran’s rush defense then you better trade Edge for whatever you can get for him quickly. I expect Edge to do well this week…this is a great match up for him.
Ah...I wouldn't be trading for Edge based on his performance vs the 49ers. Maybe after the Seahawks game.

You spend a lot of time on this stuff and I think a lot of people appreciate it. I do as well but just don't say "Hey DD" or "Hi DD" because that is the owners shtick and it is almost spooky to me. You can call me ####### like you do over in the FFA. :bye:

A good read.

May want to verify your NY Jets accuracy regarding Blaylock a possible cut and rushing 25 times... that was Houston.

San Fran at Arizona

Frank Gore: Like the match up for him. 100 yds and maybe a score.

I am with you on Gore this week. He is an easy start for my team over Jamal Lewis.

Cringe said:
Imagine how hard it would be to edit this stuff and be accurate if you were actually on staff.
Cringe, truth be told MRob will steal carries from Gore as the season moves along...I expect him to slide into the RB2 role in San Fran and see the ball. Also the draft list in a major publication I was working with had him listed as a RB from Penn St several times...then when I flipped thru Phil Steele's I simply saw the rushing yds...i wasn't look for him under the QB slot.I said good catch, I deleted most of it although it still is fine minus the RB/QB correction...what more do you want? :shrug: If I do a search under your name will I find some thread you started too? This thread seems to get a pretty positive feedback and as long as that happens I'm gonna keep posting.

Thanks for the analysis. Good stuff. :thumbup:

One minor quibble: Gibbs did not say Portis was doubtful.

Minnesota at Washington

Users who are viewing this thread