What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Red Dog - Unofficial Staff vs. Posters (2 Viewers)

Here is how my ROOKIE draft shaped out....

DE-STL-Adam Carriker

Basically went with BPA. He could contribute in year 1, but overall I think he has a solid career ahead of him.

Roster now looks like.

DT

BYoung, Pickett, FRobbins, Carriker

DE

Carriker, JGreen, TPryce, Jason Taylor

:lmao:
Fixed. :lmao: I read that STL is planning on moving Carriker to DT. I was looking at him last night and I was all set to have him #1 on my pre-draft list until that scared me off of him.

Good luck. Maybe they won't move him.
:lmao: Lets hope not

1.05 Russell, JaMarcus OAK QB ® 1.07 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR ® 1.08 Willis, Patrick SFO LB ® 1.13 Posluszny, Paul BUF LB ® 2.10 Allison, Aundrae MIN WR ® 4.14 Hairston, Justise NEP RB ® - Someone has to be the 2nd back in NE - why not him?
I needed WR help but Russell is too good to pass up at 5. I like Bowe over Meachem, so I'm happy there. Willis and Pos are likely starters for me this year, so I'm also happy with those. Did feel rather strange taking 4 picks in the Top 13 and no RBs.Aundrae Allison in the 2nd made me feel better about only 1 WR in Round 1. 4.14 was a gift in a trade of Sage Rosenfels, and I thought about Hairston or Ben Patrick there (who went at the next pick). Gamble either way.Overall happy with it. I'll post my complete team in a minute.
I think you've had one of the best rookie drafts so far....a little bit of a reach on Allison, but #### if you wanted him that bad... :lmao:
Hard not to have one of the best rookie drafts when you have four first rounders! Actually, I really like what he did with those four picks, and he swiped probably the two best LB prospects in a somewhat thin draft.

1.05 Russell, JaMarcus OAK QB ® 1.07 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR ® 1.08 Willis, Patrick SFO LB ® 1.13 Posluszny, Paul BUF LB ® 2.10 Allison, Aundrae MIN WR ® 4.14 Hairston, Justise NEP RB ® - Someone has to be the 2nd back in NE - why not him?
I needed WR help but Russell is too good to pass up at 5. I like Bowe over Meachem, so I'm happy there. Willis and Pos are likely starters for me this year, so I'm also happy with those. Did feel rather strange taking 4 picks in the Top 13 and no RBs.Aundrae Allison in the 2nd made me feel better about only 1 WR in Round 1. 4.14 was a gift in a trade of Sage Rosenfels, and I thought about Hairston or Ben Patrick there (who went at the next pick). Gamble either way.Overall happy with it. I'll post my complete team in a minute.
I think you've had one of the best rookie drafts so far....a little bit of a reach on Allison, but #### if you wanted him that bad... :shrug:
I would have agreed if he had gone Meachem over Russell, and Gonzo/Davis/Hill over Allison. I like Allison's talent and opportunity, but all three of them are clearly better talents, and Hill's situation is just as good. Davis and Gonzo will take a few years to see the results but they have fantastic upside.

10.13 Jackson, Tarvaris MIN QB

05.01 Vick, Michael ATL QB

36.07 Bollinger, Brooks MIN QB

Rook 1.05 Russell, JaMarcus OAK QB ®

31.10 Rosenfels, Sage HOU QB

34.07 Griese, Brian CHI QB

04.09 Barber, Marion DAL RB

08.13 Jordan, Lamont OAK RB

01.04 Westbrook, Brian PHI RB

24.07 Buckhalter, Correll PHI RB

37.04 Ward, Derrick NYG RB

40.07 Shipp, Marcel ARI RB

Rook 4.14 Hairston, Justise NEP RB ®

11.04 Bennett, Drew TEN WR

11.01 Caldwell, Reche NEP WR

15.13 Crayton, Patrick DAL WR

03.08 Driver, Donald GBP WR

09.04 Glenn, Terry DAL WR

09.02 Jones, Brandon TEN WR

22.09 Jason Avant PHI WR

37.10 McMullen, Billy MIN WR

43.13 Northcutt, Dennis CLE WR

44.07 Looker, Dane STL WR

FA Patten, David NO WR

Rook 1.07 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR ®

Rook 2.10 Allison, Aundrae MIN WR ®

19.10 Baker, Chris NYJ TE

04.10 Crumpler, Alge ATL TE

22.07 Jeff King CAR TE

43.02 Miller, Billy NOS TE

FA Shiancoe, Vishante MIN TE

26.07 Gregg, Kelly BAL DT

41.10 Glover, La' roi STL DT

FA Smith, Robaire CLE DT

17.14 Anderson, Mark CHI DE

13.10 Ogunleye, Adewale CHI DE

38.07 Tapp, Darryl SEA DE ®

42.07 Johnson, Jarret BAL DE

FA Peek, Antwan CLE DE

43.10 Wistrom, Grant SEA DE

06.10 Briggs, Lance CHI LB

18.07 Greenway, Chad MIN LB

17.13 Greenwood, Morlon HOU LB

37.10 Banta-Cain, Tully NEP LB

27.10 Colvin, Rosevelt NEP LB

20.07 Vrabel, Mike NEP LB

45.10 Godfrey, Randall SDC LB

FA Diggs, Na'il CAR LB

FA Lenon, Paris DET LB

Rook 1.08 Willis, Patrick SFO LB ®

Rook 1.13 Posluszny, Paul BUF LB ®

21.04 McAllister, Chris BAL CB

25.10 Hill, Tye STL CB

28.07 Bodden, Leigh CLE CB

37.02 Sheppard, Lito PHI CB

12.07 Hamlin, Ken SEA S

34.15 Brown, Mike CHI S (I)

33.10 Bullocks, Josh NOS S

37.14 Smith, Anthony PIT S ®

32.70 Smith, Dwight MIN S

36.04 Akers, David PHI PK

39.10 Rayner, Dave GBP PK
Free Agents since the draft:Added:

Smith, Robaire CLE DT

Diggs, Na'il CAR LB

Peek, Antwan CLE DE

Shiancoe, Vishante MIN TE

Patten, David NO WR

Lenon, Paris DET LB

Dropped:

Derrick Ward, NYG RB

Wistrom, Grant FA DE

Also traded:

* AJ Moura gave up Year 2007 Draft Pick 1.13 (became Posluszny)

* Jeff Pasquino gave up Year 2008 Round 1 Draft Pick from Jeff Pasquino

and

* Jake Bachman gave up Year 2007 Draft Pick 4.14 (became Justise Hairston); Year 2008 Round 5 Draft Pick from Derek Tonn

* Jeff Pasquino gave up Rosenfels, Sage HOU QB

and

* Jeff Pasquino gave up Looker, Dane STL WR; Year 2008 Round 2 Draft Pick from Jeff Pasquino

* AJ Moura gave up Year 2008 Round 3 Draft Pick from AJ Moura;Year 2008 Round 3 Draft Pick from Jake Bachman

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you've had one of the best rookie drafts so far....a little bit of a reach on Allison, but #### if you wanted him that bad... :shrug:
:thanks: :)

What's the over/under on how long we'll be waiting on "Shake-n-Bake" Jake Bachman?

redman said:
My rookie draft's over. I picked up the following guys:

Pick Ovr Franchise Selection 1.16 16. Chris Overton Booker, Lorenzo MIA RB (R) 2.08 24. Chris Overton Williams, Paul TEN WR (R) 3.07 39. Chris Overton Piscitelli, Sabby TBB S (R) 3.16 48. Chris Overton Black, Quincy TBB LB (R) 4.01 49. Chris Overton Anderson, Jamaal ATL DE (R)It's a well-rounded draft, assisting different positions, which makes it a bit easier to find roster space for that "one extra player" you inevitably find yourself with come the roster cut-down. A few comments:1.16 Lorenzo Booker MIA RB: I was very pleased he fell to me here. While I have LT, my RB2 is Lendale and then a bunch of scrubs (C. Brown; Houston; A Train), and Booker reminds me a little of Leon Washington, a mighty mite who is talented and may end up starting. And in a PPR league his receiving abilties are very attractive.

I then traded down with Brian from the 2.02, as follows:

Chris Overton gave up Year 2007 Draft Pick 2.02;Year 2007 Draft Pick 5.16

Brian Smith gave up Year 2007 Draft Pick 2.08;Year 2007 Draft Pick 3.07

I felt like jumping up 2.5 rounds was a nice benefit in exchange for dropping only six picks in the second round of a relatively weak draft, so I went for it.

2.08 Paul Williams TEN WR: This is a pure upside pick. In a relatively thin rookie draft, I decided that rather than settle for "safe" picks in Anthony Gonzalez or Steve Smith, I'd go with a guy who had a chance to be a stud if things break right. Williams has freakish talent and is unique in his WR corps in Tennessee in that regard, but his dedication to the game is questionable. I'm hoping Vince Young can inspire this guy to achieve his greatness.

3.07 Sabby Piscatelli TBB S: I got some ridicule for this pick, but I believe that this guy is the best safety in the draft not named Landry. He's big, physical, athletic, and a leader. I could see him anchoring the TB defense for years the way that John Lynch did for so long.

3.16 Quincy Black TBB LB: Black is a steal here. He's the heir apparent to Derrick Brooks. I might have to wait a year or two, but that's ok. 'Nuff said.

4.01 Jamaal Anderson ATL DE: I was simply looking for value here. The only DE drafted to this point was Spencer, which I found odd actually, so I jumped on Anderson who I like more than Adams because his size lends itself to being a factor in the running game. Like with Mario Williams last year, I'm hoping that he grows into his potential by developing a game that matches his crazy combine numbers. As a bonus, he'll get all the chances in the world to succeed as the Falcons' 8th overall draft pick.

My depth chart:

QB: Bulger; Frerotte, Carr, Wallace, Martin

RB: Tomlinson; L. White; Booker; Houston; A. Thomas; C. Brown

WR: Colston; Burress; Porter; Henry; Baskett; Williams; Randle El

TE: Scheffler; Graham; Wiggins

PK: Kaeding; Suisham

DT: J. Williams; M. Myers

DE: Peppers; Suggs; Anderson; LaBoy; Dumervil

LB: Pierce; Hayes; Gaither; Brooks; Anderson; Dobbins; Black; Quarles

CB: Mathis; McFadden; Herndon; Dyson

S: A. Wilson; N. Collins; Milloy; Sanders; Piscitelli; Knight

My only regrets coming out of this draft were my inability to bolster my QB or TE corps, but that couldn't be helped in a relatively weak draft year. I took a straight BPA approach and just didn't feel comfortable drafting the QB and TE prospects where I would have needed to in order to land them.
I updated this with trade and depth chart info.

1.05 Russell, JaMarcus OAK QB ®

1.07 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR ®

1.08 Willis, Patrick SFO LB ®

1.13 Posluszny, Paul BUF LB ®

2.10 Allison, Aundrae MIN WR ®

4.14 Hairston, Justise NEP RB ® - Someone has to be the 2nd back in NE - why not him?
I needed WR help but Russell is too good to pass up at 5. I like Bowe over Meachem, so I'm happy there. Willis and Pos are likely starters for me this year, so I'm also happy with those. Did feel rather strange taking 4 picks in the Top 13 and no RBs.Aundrae Allison in the 2nd made me feel better about only 1 WR in Round 1.

4.14 was a gift in a trade of Sage Rosenfels, and I thought about Hairston or Ben Patrick there (who went at the next pick). Gamble either way.

Overall happy with it. I'll post my complete team in a minute.
I think you've had one of the best rookie drafts so far....a little bit of a reach on Allison, but #### if you wanted him that bad... :thanks:
I would have agreed if he had gone Meachem over Russell, and Gonzo/Davis/Hill over Allison. I like Allison's talent and opportunity, but all three of them are clearly better talents, and Hill's situation is just as good. Davis and Gonzo will take a few years to see the results but they have fantastic upside.
:shrug: I agree. Not really sold on Minnesota's offensive plan. They took Rice and still have Williamson tied in w/ a huge contract. Not to mention they have Bobby Wade and Mcmullen, I just don't see were Allison fits in. Other then that I think Jeff did very well. Love the Russell and Posluszny picks.

DE-STL-Adam Carriker

Basically went with BPA. He could contribute in year 1, but overall I think he has a solid career ahead of him.

Roster now looks like.

DT

DE

:thanks:
Fixed. :shrug: I read that STL is planning on moving Carriker to DT. I was looking at him last night and I was all set to have him #1 on my pre-draft list until that scared me off of him.

Carriker has 45 solo, 8 sack potential inside in the current STL scheme. Unless you think Okoye is destined to be the next Warren Sapp, Carriker is far and away the best rookie DT prospect.He has much, much higher value at DT.

4.14 Hairston, Justise NEP RB ® - Someone has to be the 2nd back in NE - why not him?
I needed WR help but Russell is too good to pass up at 5. I like Bowe over Meachem, so I'm happy there. Willis and Pos are likely starters for me this year, so I'm also happy with those. Did feel rather strange taking 4 picks in the Top 13 and no RBs.Aundrae Allison in the 2nd made me feel better about only 1 WR in Round 1.

4.14 was a gift in a trade of Sage Rosenfels, and I thought about Hairston or Ben Patrick there (who went at the next pick). Gamble either way.

:yes: I agree. Not really sold on Minnesota's offensive plan. They took Rice and still have Williamson tied in w/ a huge contract. Not to mention they have Bobby Wade and Mcmullen, I just don't see were Allison fits in. Other then that I think Jeff did very well. Love the Russell and Posluszny picks.
I disagree on Russell only because he has Vick and Jackson and sorely needed some long term WR help (his #1 and #2? Driver and Glenn). New Orleans is a fantasy bonanza for WRs, and WRs are the premium and tough to find in a 16 team start 3.

Maybe this has been posted, but how did Pasquino acquire all those 1st rounders?
This is how:Jeff Pasquino gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 4.07AJ Moura gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 4.15;Year 2006 Draft Pick 46.15Comments: swap of 4ths for your 1.15 rookie. Fri Feb 2 1:37:00 p.m. PT 2007 Nick Chadick gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 2.13;Year 2006 Draft Pick 5.15;Year 2006 Draft Pick 46.05Jeff Pasquino gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 3.10;Year 2006 Draft Pick 3.14;Year 2006 Draft Pick 46.13 Sat Feb 3 9:07:55 p.m. PT 2007 AJ Moura gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 1.04;Year 2006 Draft Pick 3.14;Year 2006 Draft Pick 46.13Jeff Pasquino gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 1.10;Year 2006 Draft Pick 2.07;Year 2006 Draft Pick 30.07 Sat Feb 3 8:42:16 a.m. PT 2007 Jeff Pasquino gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 46.15;Year 2006 Draft Pick 48.07AJ Moura gave up Year 2006 Draft Pick 46.13;Year 2006 Draft Pick 49.02;Year 2006 Draft Pick 49.04 Thu Feb 8 7:08:30 p.m. PT 2007 AJ Moura gave up Year 2007 Draft Pick 1.13Jeff Pasquino gave up Year 2008 Round 1 Draft Pick from Jeff Pasquino Fri Mar 9 3:19:58 p.m. PT 2007 *Note- the "Year 2006 Round 46.XX" picks are actually 2007 rookie picks made before the mfl.com site switched over to the new year; the 2006 veteran dynasty draft was 45 rounds. They say you can't rape the willing, but I'm not so sure anymore. :shrug:

DE-STL-Adam Carriker

Roster now looks like.

DT

DE

:shrug:
Fixed. :yes: I read that STL is planning on moving Carriker to DT. I was looking at him last night and I was all set to have him #1 on my pre-draft list until that scared me off of him.

Carriker has 45 solo, 8 sack potential inside in the current STL scheme. Unless you think Okoye is destined to be the next Warren Sapp, Carriker is far and away the best rookie DT prospect.He has much, much higher value at DT.
Second only to CB's, I'm just not a believer in drafting rookie DT's. They tend to take a while to develop, are extremely hard to predict in terms of fantasy performance, and at least decent ones tend to be available on waivers.

I think you've had one of the best rookie drafts so far....a little bit of a reach on Allison, but #### if you wanted him that bad... :thumbup:
:o I agree. Not really sold on Minnesota's offensive plan. They took Rice and still have Williamson tied in w/ a huge contract. Not to mention they have Bobby Wade and Mcmullen, I just don't see were Allison fits in. Other then that I think Jeff did very well. Love the Russell and Posluszny picks.
I disagree on Russell only because he has Vick and Jackson and sorely needed some long term WR help (his #1 and #2? Driver and Glenn). New Orleans is a fantasy bonanza for WRs, and WRs are the premium and tough to find in a 16 team start 3.
Sure but WR's are riskier picks when compared with QB's. If Russell pans out he can trade Vick for a WR. I see JR as a safer pick with higher upside, just not at a position of need unfortunately.

DE-STL-Adam Carriker

Roster now looks like.

DT

DE

:bag:
Fixed. :bag: I read that STL is planning on moving Carriker to DT. I was looking at him last night and I was all set to have him #1 on my pre-draft list until that scared me off of him.

Second only to CB's, I'm just not a believer in drafting rookie DT's. They tend to take a while to develop, are extremely hard to predict in terms of fantasy performance, and at least decent ones tend to be available on waivers.
I don't disagree and there's some risk with Carriker being moved back outside or becoming the victim of a scheme change. But the relative advantage at DT from DT1-DT5-DT16 is often very significant. In your scoring system, those slots scored 196-150-134 in 2006.There'll be turnover in those spots every year so you'll often be cycling guys in and out. But securing a guy with Vonnie Holliday, Warren Sapp, Rod Coleman, Kevin Williams type two-five year top five potential is worth considering.

I know I'll always be in the minority here, but in scoring systems where IDPs are weighted similarly to offensive players I think it's a mistake to draft deep sleeper hopefuls at skill positions when more probable stud talent is available on defense. I get the positional scarcity on the free agent wire and depth chart arguments. And I don't mean to single anyone out, but which player has the higher likelihood chance of becoming a year-in, year-out top ten player at their position -- Jamaal Anderson or Brian Leonard? Eric Weddle or Isaiah Stanbach?

In a deep dynasty league with the DT position split out, Adam Carriker should be drafted. And I think he should be drafted relatively highly for the same reasons you take a shot at Drew Stanton relatively highly. Not that those positions should carry similar rookie draft round grades -- I like where both went here -- but sloughing a potential stud at a particular position because you can get a decent quality player off the wire is a mistake.

I don't disagree and there's some risk with Carriker being moved back outside or becoming the victim of a scheme change. But the relative advantage at DT from DT1-DT5-DT16 is often very significant. In your scoring system, those slots scored 196-150-134 in 2006.There'll be turnover in those spots every year so you'll often be cycling guys in and out. But securing a guy with Vonnie Holliday, Warren Sapp, Rod Coleman, Kevin Williams type two-five year top five potential is worth considering.I know I'll always be in the minority here, but in scoring systems where IDPs are weighted similarly to offensive players I think it's a mistake to draft deep sleeper hopefuls at skill positions when more probable stud talent is available on defense. I get the positional scarcity on the free agent wire and depth chart arguments. And I don't mean to single anyone out, but which player has the higher likelihood chance of becoming a year-in, year-out top ten player at their position -- Jamaal Anderson or Brian Leonard? Eric Weddle or Isaiah Stanbach?In a deep dynasty league with the DT position split out, Adam Carriker should be drafted. And I think he should be drafted relatively highly for the same reasons you take a shot at Drew Stanton relatively highly. Not that those positions should carry similar rookie draft round grades -- I like where both went here -- but sloughing a potential stud at a particular position because you can get a decent quality player off the wire is a mistake.
No doubt, the higher a player is drafted, the better the chance he has to be a producer, all other things held equal. There just seems to be so much more alchemy involved when evaluating DT's, and it's probably due to the complexity that that position has. I don't equate DT's with DE's for that very reason. Guys like Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson are going to be put on the outside with chances to go one-on-one against a OT and make plays. Certain schemes of course allow them to do this more often than others, but their roles tend to be relatively specialized, and those guys were drafted as high as they were because their talents lend themselves to beating a OT and getting to a QB. A DT can play a variety of different roles, and often they don't all play the same role even on the same team. How many teams do you know that try to funnel plays towards the DT? Far more often the DT is there as a support player to take double teams and keep the LB's free to roam. The other thing I didn't mention about DT's is that they tend to have a short shelf life in terms of their production. There's so much weight and pounding on their legs that even the elite ones tend to decline after only a few years of productivity. The Warren Sapp's of the world are few and far between. Sure, they stay in the league, but they just aren't the same. Cortez Kennedy was like that, as was Sean Gilbert, Darryl Gardener, and some others. DE's, OTOH, can play effectively well into their 30's as demonstrated by Strahan, Bruce Smith, Trace Armstrong, etc. I know you can find gems at that position, and maybe I'm blind to things I should be looking for, but as a draft day investment I'm just not enthusiastic about this position.

I think you've had one of the best rookie drafts so far....a little bit of a reach on Allison, but #### if you wanted him that bad... :blackdot:
:shrug: I agree. Not really sold on Minnesota's offensive plan. They took Rice and still have Williamson tied in w/ a huge contract. Not to mention they have Bobby Wade and Mcmullen, I just don't see were Allison fits in. Other then that I think Jeff did very well. Love the Russell and Posluszny picks.
Sure but WR's are riskier picks when compared with QB's. If Russell pans out he can trade Vick for a WR. I see JR as a safer pick with higher upside, just not at a position of need unfortunately.
Good back and forth here.I actually had forgotten I pre-drafted and Russell was already taken, but that wouldn't have changed my pick (just shows me that I was right to gauge talent back in March).

I earmarked these 3 picks as QB/WR/BPA when I looked at them in March. Why? I thought 1.06 would be a QB and I wanted one of the Top 2 prospects, either for trade power or for production. WR was the next need of course, and I had Bowe at 3 after Meachem - and they are close. I did think about WR/WR at 7/8, but given the length of career for a stud LB and this scoring system, I had to take the #1 LB at 8.

Similar logic at 1.13 - concerned again on WR, but I felt the draft was deep enough to permit me to take the #2 LB - Posluszny. Again, stud starter for years.

2.10 - Bloom's more up on these guys than me, but I liked Allison. Minn is a great opportunity for him and I could easily see him start at #2 opposite of Rice. Would be a nice complimentary WR to Tarvaris as well.

4.14 was a total flier and will be a PS guy most likely. We'll see if the former Scarlet Knight can contribute.

I don't disagree and there's some risk with Carriker being moved back outside or becoming the victim of a scheme change. But the relative advantage at DT from DT1-DT5-DT16 is often very significant. In your scoring system, those slots scored 196-150-134 in 2006.There'll be turnover in those spots every year so you'll often be cycling guys in and out. But securing a guy with Vonnie Holliday, Warren Sapp, Rod Coleman, Kevin Williams type two-five year top five potential is worth considering.I know I'll always be in the minority here, but in scoring systems where IDPs are weighted similarly to offensive players I think it's a mistake to draft deep sleeper hopefuls at skill positions when more probable stud talent is available on defense. I get the positional scarcity on the free agent wire and depth chart arguments. And I don't mean to single anyone out, but which player has the higher likelihood chance of becoming a year-in, year-out top ten player at their position -- Jamaal Anderson or Brian Leonard? Eric Weddle or Isaiah Stanbach?In a deep dynasty league with the DT position split out, Adam Carriker should be drafted. And I think he should be drafted relatively highly for the same reasons you take a shot at Drew Stanton relatively highly. Not that those positions should carry similar rookie draft round grades -- I like where both went here -- but sloughing a potential stud at a particular position because you can get a decent quality player off the wire is a mistake.
No doubt, the higher a player is drafted, the better the chance he has to be a producer, all other things held equal. There just seems to be so much more alchemy involved when evaluating DT's, and it's probably due to the complexity that that position has. I don't equate DT's with DE's for that very reason. Guys like Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson are going to be put on the outside with chances to go one-on-one against a OT and make plays. Certain schemes of course allow them to do this more often than others, but their roles tend to be relatively specialized, and those guys were drafted as high as they were because their talents lend themselves to beating a OT and getting to a QB. A DT can play a variety of different roles, and often they don't all play the same role even on the same team. How many teams do you know that try to funnel plays towards the DT? Far more often the DT is there as a support player to take double teams and keep the LB's free to roam. The other thing I didn't mention about DT's is that they tend to have a short shelf life in terms of their production. There's so much weight and pounding on their legs that even the elite ones tend to decline after only a few years of productivity. The Warren Sapp's of the world are few and far between. Sure, they stay in the league, but they just aren't the same. Cortez Kennedy was like that, as was Sean Gilbert, Darryl Gardener, and some others. DE's, OTOH, can play effectively well into their 30's as demonstrated by Strahan, Bruce Smith, Trace Armstrong, etc. I know you can find gems at that position, and maybe I'm blind to things I should be looking for, but as a draft day investment I'm just not enthusiastic about this position.
Agreed that without some intimate knowledge of the playbook and gameplan, it's difficult to know which DT is likely to make the most tackles in any given week. Still, you can usually identify which teams use under fronts and three technique tackles, which schemes (Miami 4-3 tree) prefer gap control tackles, and which teams rely on a rotation of three or four tackles. And there's always just over-riding talent.And there's no doubt you'll have to be cycling DTs because of the relatively short shelf-life. But I still don't believe that's a good enough reason to consider passing on the potential huge relative advantage for a less likely advantage elsewhere. You'll still be smartly monitoring the free agent lists for the Kedric Golstons and Fred Robbins.As I said, I'm sure I'll be in the minority here and maybe rightly so. I have a pretty risk tolerant style of roster management in some ways. Situations like this are one.

HOO-RAY! Bachman made his pick.

Now I can critique my draft class.

1.06 - Robert Meachem:

I thought about possibly taking Quinn here, but figured I could get a decent QB later. Meachem certainly was a "need" pick for me since my starting WR's look like Stallworth, Moose, and Jenkins :X . I have plenty of depth at WR but nothing that can contribute now. Meachem landed in the most favorable situation out of any of the other WR's not named Calvin. This was a no brainer to me.

2.11 - Kenny Irons:

I didn't know too much about Irons except that he was being hyped at the beginning of the year as one of the best RB's of the class. I guess injuries played a part in his drop. Sure, he's behind one of the most consistent RB's in the league in Rudi, but Rudi is 28 or 29 and should start breaking down sooner rather than later. As a 2nd round pick, the Bengals must be thinking of him as an investment. I'm fine if he starts out as a 3rd down RB. But I think he has the skillset to be an every down starter and so do a lot of people.

3.06 - Brian Leonard:

I wasn't impressed with anything sitting here so I decided to take the most talented player on the board at the time. Leonard has the skillset to be an every down RB in the NFL...unfortunately, he's white. I'm not scared by the situation he landed in. Like the sharks say, talent will find it's way on the field and SJax will need someone to back him up. And if Jackson gets hurt, Leonard could be golden. I call this my "Brass Balls" pick. :)

4.11 - Justin Durant:

I liked what I read/heard about this guy. An amazing athlete whom coaches (and opposing O-coordinators) raved about. He has the skillset to be a 3 down backer. He's a tackling machine and can cover the flats with the best of them. Mike Peterson may never be what he once was and Durant could be sitting pretty next year playing behind Henderson and Stroud. (I've never been too high on Mike Peterson anyway).

5.06 - David Clowney:

My "Mr. Irrelevant". Clowney was being touted as a 1st rounder at the beginning of the year but fell due to an injury. He is a burner and can spread the defense. Speed + Favre's rocket = :X I'll take a chance on the potential being there. I like his upside.

I envision him earning playing time sooner rather than later because of his speed. I think Favre will love his speed and the two will end up getting married and having many ugly children together. :wub:

1.06 - Robert Meachem:

I thought about possibly taking Quinn here, but figured I could get a decent QB later. Meachem certainly was a "need" pick for me since my starting WR's look like Stallworth, Moose, and Jenkins :X . I have plenty of depth at WR but nothing that can contribute now. Meachem landed in the most favorable situation out of any of the other WR's not named Calvin. This was a no brainer to me.

2.11 - Kenny Irons:

I didn't know too much about Irons except that he was being hyped at the beginning of the year as one of the best RB's of the class. I guess injuries played a part in his drop. Sure, he's behind one of the most consistent RB's in the league in Rudi, but Rudi is 28 or 29 and should start breaking down sooner rather than later. As a 2nd round pick, the Bengals must be thinking of him as an investment. I'm fine if he starts out as a 3rd down RB. But I think he has the skillset to be an every down starter and so do a lot of people.

3.06 - Brian Leonard:

I wasn't impressed with anything sitting here so I decided to take the most talented player on the board at the time. Leonard has the skillset to be an every down RB in the NFL...unfortunately, he's white. I'm not scared by the situation he landed in. Like the sharks say, talent will find it's way on the field and SJax will need someone to back him up. And if Jackson gets hurt, Leonard could be golden. I call this my "Brass Balls" pick. :)

4.11 - Justin Durant:

I liked what I read/heard about this guy. An amazing athlete whom coaches (and opposing O-coordinators) raved about. He has the skillset to be a 3 down backer. He's a tackling machine and can cover the flats with the best of them. Mike Peterson may never be what he once was and Durant could be sitting pretty next year playing behind Henderson and Stroud. (I've never been too high on Mike Peterson anyway).

5.06 - David Clowney:

My "Mr. Irrelevant". Clowney was being touted as a 1st rounder at the beginning of the year but fell due to an injury. He is a burner and can spread the defense. Speed + Favre's rocket = :thumbup: I'll take a chance on the potential being there. I like his upside.

I envision him earning playing time sooner rather than later because of his speed. I think Favre will love his speed and the two will end up getting married and having many ugly children together. :wub:
meachem fell into your lap, he should have went 4thI disagree on Irons as an everydown back, he's not a great receiver or blocker. Ideally, he would have went to GB or HOU, a ZBS team. He's ok, yes fell due to being banged up all year.

Leonard was a real nice pick i was :nerd: when you took him. Almost grabbed him over Pittman.

Durant was a bonafide steal, he's indeed a 3down LB in the making.

Clowney is pinkston, but its a 5th, so i cant argue.

1.06 - Robert Meachem:

2.11 - Kenny Irons:

3.06 - Brian Leonard:

4.11 - Justin Durant:

5.06 - David Clowney:

My "Mr. Irrelevant". Clowney was being touted as a 1st rounder at the beginning of the year but fell due to an injury. He is a burner and can spread the defense. Speed + Favre's rocket = :confused: I'll take a chance on the potential being there. I like his upside.

meachem fell into your lap, he should have went 4thI disagree on Irons as an everydown back, he's not a great receiver or blocker. Ideally, he would have went to GB or HOU, a ZBS team. He's ok, yes fell due to being banged up all year.

Leonard was a real nice pick i was :rant: when you took him. Almost grabbed him over Pittman.

Durant was a bonafide steal, he's indeed a 3down LB in the making.

Clowney is pinkston, but its a 5th, so i cant argue.
:hifive: I owe it all to Bob Sorter's rankings! :D

;)

My rookie draft.

traded 1.10 (TE Greg Olsen) for 2.01 (LB Jon Beason) and 2.15 (WR Mike Walker). I probably could have used Olsen or Brady Quinn at the 10 spot...not sure how this deal will work out for me but hopefully I get 2 starters instead of 1, and with 4 starting LBs most weeks, I don't think you can ever have too many good ones.

2.01 LB Jon Beason (thought Posluszny might be here for this pick but he went 4 picks earlier, ahead of Quinn)

2.07 QB John Beck (thought Drew Stanton or Zach Miller might be here but they both went in the 2 picks ahead of me. I needed another QB starter since Kitna may not last long in Detroit.)

2.15 WR Mike Walker (thought that Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez, or Jason Hill would be here but they went in the 3 picks ahead of me. scrambled and took Walker, whose situation I like more than Higgins. Passed on RBs like Pittman and Leonard here b/c I felt WR was a bigger need for my team.)

3.10 QB Trent Edwards (good value at this point and I already have Losman/Nall on the roster)

4.07 S Aaron Rouse (I wasn't happy with my safeties in general and wanted to upgrade this position if possible. Rouse had the most fantasy upside of all the remaining safeties).

5.10 S Michael Griffin (was a consideration with my 4th round pick and a pretty easy choice after he slid to me at this pick)

Overall, I think I improved my depth at QB, added a WR with upside, and added at least 2 long-term starters at key IDP positions.

It appears the Chiefs addressed their offensive line woes in the 1st round after all.

THEY DRAFTED BOWE SO THEY COULD USE HIS "FEROCIOUS" BLOCKS DOWNFIELD!

LJ IS DANCING IN THE STREETS!

From Rotoworld: :lmao:

Eddie Kennison is expected to remain a starter despite the Chiefs' selection of Dwayne Bowe with their first-round pick.

Still, keeping Bowe and his ferocious blocking on the field should be a priority for Kansas City. Bowe and Kennison will likely be the starters.

It appears the Chiefs addressed their offensive line woes in the 1st round after all.

From Rotoworld: :rolleyes:

Eddie Kennison is expected to remain a starter despite the Chiefs' selection of Dwayne Bowe with their first-round pick.

Still, keeping Bowe and his ferocious blocking on the field should be a priority for Kansas City. Bowe and Kennison will likely be the starters.
:rolleyes:
:popcorn:

From Rotoworld: :ph34r:

I didn't know we needed to fill O-lineman positions on our roster? :thumbup: :shrug: :lmao:

When does our waiver wire open up?
settle down knucklehead, email coming in a few......basic plan is in about 24 hrs, thinking just making it 8pm est tomorrow i will open fcfs free agency with a max of 2 adds during first 24 hr period.......then completely open after that.... :o

Why not, everyone else is doing it:

1.10- Olsen TE Chi. In this league, TE scoring is very nice and since I was stuck with D.Martin/Utecht and scrubs, actually took a need in TE over a want in WR(Jarrett)

2.03- L.Landry S Was. I might have reached a little, but when you want someone that bad, you got to, right? RIGHT?????

2.04- Jacoby Jones WR Hou. Again, some might see him as a minor reach, but with his potential of being the #2 off the bat, I like his chances.

3.09- S.Nicholas LB Atl. After finding out D.Williams is out for at least 5 months with a Torn Pec muscle, I was very happy I got him in this spot.

3.15- A.Waters LB SD. Absolute beast in college, can he take over the starting spot over Wilhelm or Cooper? I think he can.

5.05- B.Siler LB SD. 5th round, why not take a chance?????

What's the over/under on how long we'll be waiting on "Shake-n-Bake" Jake Bachman?
SJax2 usually comes on after work 4:00 EDT
I put his pick in. We're back in business.
I vote you in as new commish
:cry: 2 week ban, i will not tollerate mutineers
Your getting soft in your old age...
fine, your out.........we have 1 open team......now accepting applications

Users who are viewing this thread