What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gas prices: worse than '81 oil shock (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
#### YEAH AMERICA! EAT IT WORLD!! :lmao:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/21/news/econo...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Gas prices: Worse than '81 oil shock

Gas now at highest level, even adjusted for inflation; AAA's reading of nearly $3.20 a gallon marks ninth straight record high in current dollars.

May 21 2007: 8:31 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gasoline prices soared to levels never seen before as even the inflation-adjusted price for a gallon of unleaded topped the 1981 record spike in price that had stood for 26 years.

And higher prices could be on the way as Americans get ready to hit the road for the Memorial Day holiday and the start of the summer driving season.

The Lundberg Survey, a bi-weekly gas price tracking service, put the price of a gallon of unleaded at $3.18 in its latest reading released late Sunday, up more than 11 cents from its reading of two weeks ago.

While gasoline had already been in record territory in current dollars, Trilby Lundberg, publisher of the survey, said this is the first time that her survey topped her 1981 record high when adjusted for inflation. The price of $1.35 in 1981 works out to $3.15 in current dollars, she said. The Iran-Iraq war, which started the year before, choked off oil supplies to the global market, causing that spike in prices.

The motorist group AAA does a daily survey of up to 85,000 gas stations, but that reading does not go back to the 1981 spike. It's survey has been showing a series of record high prices in current dollars since May 13, and Monday the average price for a gallon of self-serve unleaded hit $3.196, the ninth straight record high and up from Sunday's record of $3.178.

The AAA survey now shows prices up 4 percent over the course of the last week, along with an increase of 11.8 percent over the last month.

AAA warned in congressional testimony last week it believes that more record prices could be on the way. It is forecasting prices will approach $3.25 a gallon over the next 60 days.

Still AAA is predicting a record number of Americans will be hitting the road holiday weekend, with 38.3 million expected to be traveling 100 miles or more over the Memorial Day holiday, up 1.7 percent from a year ago. And most of those - 32.1 million - will be driving on their trip, according to the motorist group.

Topping post-Katrina records

Before this recent run of record-high gas prices, the highest price ever recorded in current dollars was $3.057 in the AAA survey, which was set Sept. 4 and Sept. 5, 2005, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. That storm disrupted refinery operations and pipelines and caused a temporary spike, sending prices above the $3 mark for eight days.

The only other time that the AAA national average has topped the $3 mark was in August 2006, after Israel invaded Lebanon and oil futures shot higher. Gas prices then reached as high as $3.036 during that 19-day spike.

The current price increases are due to problems in gasoline supplies and refinery output. The average gas price went above $3 a gallon on May 4, and has been climbing since. Unless prices fall suddenly, Wednesday will mark the longest stretch of $3 gas on the AAA survey's history.

Few states have an average gas price below $3. California had the highest average price, with a gallon of self-serve unleaded costing $3.457, up slightly from the $3.453 reading Sunday after several days of prices slipping slightly there.

New Jersey retained the lead in the race to have the cheapest average gas price, but it is quickly approaching the $3 a gallon threshold itself. The average price there came in at $2.938 a gallon in the Monday reading, up from $2.93 Sunday.

New Jersey is one of only three states with an average price below the $3 mark. The other two - South Carolina and New Hampshire - are both within a penny or less of that mark, after both rose in the latest reading.

Four more states - Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Virginia - became the latest states to cross that $3 a gallon benchmark in the Sunday survey.

While crude oil prices have fallen over the last few weeks and oil supplies are high in the United States, problems at several refineries have crimped gasoline output ahead of the summer driving season.

The refinery problems include fires, power outages, and longer-than-usual maintenance periods.

The run-up in prices is a big concern for store chains, according to the retailers' trade group. Its survey released early Friday found the average consumer believes that the price of gas will reach $3.32 per gallon by Father's Day.

As a result, 40.2 percent of consumers are taking fewer shopping trips, while 37.9 percent told the survey they plan to shop closer to home. In addition, 30.7 percent said they are shopping for sales more often and 23.5 percent are using more coupons.

6 ways to lower gas prices

Perhaps of greatest concern to the retailers, 24.1 percent said they are spending less on clothing, while only one in five have delayed major purchases, such as a car, television or furniture, and 31.1 percent are dining out less.

"Consumers are entering the summer season with a cautious view of increasing gas prices," NRF President and CEO Tracy Mullin said. "To offset the effects of higher prices, more consumers are giving their wallets a little extra cushion by cutting back on discretionary spending or choosing to frequent retailers closer to home."

Interestingly enough, the retailers' survey also found that 32.6 percent have decreased their vacation travel plans this year, despite the AAA survey that projected a record number of Americans on the highways this weekend.

Major retailers were reporting weak April sales even before the recent spike in gasoline prices started earlier this month. Wal-Mart Stores (Charts, Fortune 500), the world's largest retailer, had its worst sales comparison on record in April as it forecast essentially flat sales at stores open at least a year in May, a closely watched measure of retail strength known as same-store sales.

Overall same-store sales in April were among the weakest on record as other major retailers including Target (Charts, Fortune 500), Gap (Charts, Fortune 500), Federated Department Stores (Charts, Fortune 500) and J.C. Penney (Charts, Fortune 500) all reported declines in that key sales measure.

Big Oil went on the defensive Wednesday, getting grilled before a House panel and denying accusations that mismanagement and a lack of competition are the reasons behind this spring's record gasoline prices.

Well thank god the democrats are in charge of congress now and are taking care of it. Gas prices should drop any minute now.

Do gas prices really matter? I mean, whatever the gas company tells me I have to pay, I pay. 1 dollar a gallon, or 7 dollars a gallon. I am at the mercy of the "man".

I've often wondered ... what's stopping major oil producers from agreeing to just make their oil $200, $500, or even $1,000 a barrel? Who else is selling enough oil out there to make this economically infeasible?

Second thought -- let's say gas tomorrow was a national average of $20/gal. Could the average American make some kinds of on-the-fly adjustments to offset the hit to the pocketbook?

Price per gallon in the U.S. has risen about 50% since early February (local cheap gas then was $1.97 ... cheap places are now $2.97 - $2.99). That seems way too fast for simple supply-and-demand to have caused ... is the supply now really that different from February?

I am baffled at Americans complaining about the price of petrol in their country. Most countries in europe have the price at $7 a gallon.

I've often wondered ... what's stopping major oil producers from agreeing to just make their oil $200, $500, or even $1,000 a barrel? Who else is selling enough oil out there to make this economically infeasible?

Second thought -- let's say gas tomorrow was a national average of $20/gal. Could the average American make some kinds of on-the-fly adjustments to offset the hit to the pocketbook?

Price per gallon in the U.S. has risen about 50% since early February (local cheap gas then was $1.97 ... cheap places are now $2.97 - $2.99). That seems way too fast for simple supply-and-demand to have caused ... is the supply now really that different from February?
Might want to check your math there chief.

Do gas prices really matter? I mean, whatever the gas company tells me I have to pay, I pay. 1 dollar a gallon, or 7 dollars a gallon. I am at the mercy of the "man".
At some point, it matters, doesn't it? Or do you drive a company car, and use a company gas card for fill-ups?Could you pay for $5/gal gas tommorow? $10/gal? $20/gal? More? At what point would you think you'd start feeling it?

Was driving home from a trip yesterday..put 60 dollars in and only got 3/4 of a tank. :goodposting:

So after paying that is cash..we did not go out to dinner.

1.97 X .5 = .9851.97 + .99 = 2.96

Are you upset that he missed by a penny? :goodposting:

Why, his math is right.50% of roughly 2 dollars is roughly 1 dollar.

Hence, a rise from 2 dollars to 3 dollars represents a 50% increase from last years price.

My math is correct, if approximate: from $1.97 to $2.97 is a little more than a 50% increase. The $1.00 increase is divided by the starting price (not ending price) to derive % increase. I started with $1.97 ... took 50% of that figure, and ended up close to $3/gal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am baffled at Americans complaining about the price of petrol in their country. Most countries in europe have the price at $7 a gallon.
The rate of increase is what's alarming. Have prices remained stable in Europe over the last few years? Has there been a 50% increase over the past three-and-a-half months? Was it around €1.50/liter in February?** all numbers above are approximations

I've often wondered ... what's stopping major oil producers from agreeing to just make their oil $200, $500, or even $1,000 a barrel? Who else is selling enough oil out there to make this economically infeasible?Second thought -- let's say gas tomorrow was a national average of $20/gal. Could the average American make some kinds of on-the-fly adjustments to offset the hit to the pocketbook?
To an extent, we could. I would start taking the T (the public transportation system) to work IMMEDIATELY. Others in this area would do the same. I also think would that carpooling would increase - people would simply HAVE to find an alternative way to do it with a cost increase that big.And that's just the short-run. Over the long-run, a cost of gasoline that high would spark alternative energy development, IMO.

from '05

http://goeurope.about.com/od/transportation/a/gas_prices.htm

"Make no mistake: the price of the raw gas is about the same as the U.S., but Europe taxes gasoline at a higher rate. At the moment, taxes in France make up about 70 percent of the pump price. For comparison, the U.S. federal gasoline tax of of 2005 was 18.4 cents per gallon, with each State adding between 10 and 33 cents of tax, according to Widipedia. That makes the maximum gasoline tax rate 17% in the U.S. "

While crude oil prices have fallen over the last few weeks and oil supplies are high in the United States, problems at several refineries have crimped gasoline output ahead of the summer driving season.The refinery problems include fires, power outages, and longer-than-usual maintenance periods.
Hmmm...

i love that this has fallen on party lines.

either it's Republicans saying "so what, Europeans pay $7 a gallon" or it's Dems saying "this is a crime!"

we're ALL taking it in the ###. :thumbup:

women fly off the handle when milk prices flux... and that's a few pennies. gas goes up 50% in 6 weeks and we're supposed to just shrug our shoulders and say "that's just the way it is"?

:thumbup: Ready to air up the tires on the old bike and start waking up an hour earlier

1.97 X .5 = .9851.97 + .99 = 2.96

Are you upset that he missed by a penny? :thumbup:
actually, guess it's a matter of semantics. Gas is only 33% more than it was in February. Just some of the fun one can have with numbers. I withdraw my criticism.

I'm curious (and I honestly don't know)... how much of that is tax?
How much of our increase since '81 is tax?
Most gas taxes are calulated by gallon, not by percentage. On average, you pay about 38 cents per gallon in taxes whether you pay $1.75 or $3.38 per gallon.

i love that this has fallen on party lines.either it's Republicans saying "so what, Europeans pay $7 a gallon" or it's Dems saying "this is a crime!"we're ALL taking it in the ###. :confused: women fly off the handle when milk prices flux... and that's a few pennies. gas goes up 50% in 6 weeks and we're supposed to just shrug our shoulders and say "that's just the way it is"?
:lmao: yep, and get ready for the rise in :thumbup: prices (and everything else) when gas goes up another buck or two

from '05

http://goeurope.about.com/od/transportation/a/gas_prices.htm

"Make no mistake: the price of the raw gas is about the same as the U.S., but Europe taxes gasoline at a higher rate. At the moment, taxes in France make up about 70 percent of the pump price. For comparison, the U.S. federal gasoline tax of of 2005 was 18.4 cents per gallon, with each State adding between 10 and 33 cents of tax, according to Widipedia. That makes the maximum gasoline tax rate 17% in the U.S. "
If I'm not mistaken, the federal fuel tax is a hard number - not a percentage or a rate of the price of gas. So really, the federal government doesn't make more money when the price goes higher - the federal government makes more money the more people buy gas. That's an important distinction, IMO.But yeah European countries tax the #### out of gas and offer tax breaks and incentives for people to by hybrids and whatnot. Pretty smart.

The sick part is that this no longer has anything to do with the price of crude oil. We are now being openly raped.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12452503/

What does gasoline cost in other countries?

MSNBC.com answers your questions on business, personal finance

By John W. Schoen

Senior Producer

MSNBC

With gasoline prices rising relentlessly here in the U.S., Joseph in California is wondering whether drivers in other countries are feeling the same pain at the pump that he is. It turns out American drivers aren't seeing the worst of it. But they're also not enjoying the kind of energy bargains available in some parts of the world.

I would be curious to know how other countries are faring with the run-up on gas prices. Are they being exposed to the same price shock that Americans are experiencing right now?

Joseph M., Linden, Calif.

Gasoline prices are going up around the world, but the pain is not being felt everywhere the same way. Drivers in some countries pay a lot more than U.S. consumers. But others pay substantially less. That’s because pump prices don’t reflect just the cost of gasoline.

In most of the industrialized world, including Europe and Japan, pump prices are much higher than in the U.S. – even though the wholesale price is roughly the same. The difference is a heavy tax load those countries impose to discourage consumption.

The Dutch have the dubious distinction of paying the most to fill 'er up, according to the U.S. Deptatment of Energy. (There are various agencies that track gasoline prices, but these are among the most recent figures available.) As of April 10, drivers in the Netherlands were paying the equivalent of about $6.73 a gallon at the pump. The gas itself cost $2.61; the rest — $4.12 — represented tax. That’s a 158 percent tax. By comparison, the U.S. has the lowest tax on gasoline of any industrialized country: about 15 percent at current prices.

A ridiculous amount of it is tax, not sure how much.
The federal gas tax is a flat 18.4 cents per gallon. State taxes range from 7.5 cents per gallon (Georgia) to 32 cents per gallon (New York).I'm shuked that people would complain about a 26 cent tax but barely bat an eyelash at a $1.20 price increase.

The federal gas tax is a flat 18.4 cents per gallon. State taxes range from 7.5 cents per gallon (Georgia) to 32 cents per gallon (New York).I'm shuked that people would complain about a 26 cent tax but barely bat an eyelash at a $1.20 price increase.
I was asking how much of the $7 of European gas was tax.

so combining the tax info with Furleys last post about actual gas cost in the Netherlands, it looks like we're paying the same amount or less as our european friends pre-tax.

either it's Republicans saying "so what, Europeans pay $7 a gallon" or it's Dems saying "this is a crime!"
I'm Republican, and I think Republicans who don't think gas prices affect people are being extremely short-sighted. "I'm not feeling it so no one else must be feeling it"? What kind of a mindset is that?

I guess you missed the post with the answer then.

Well, one of the reasons Iraq invaded Kuwait is because Kuwait was selling oil at prices cheaper than OPEC had set.

I'm Republican, and I think Republicans who don't think gas prices affect people are being extremely short-sighted. "I'm not feeling it so no one else must be feeling it"? What kind of a mindset is that?
Where have you heard people say that?

No. I was pointing out that it appeared that Gilmore misunderstood the question that I was asking.

I'm guessing they're with the people who are cancelling thier 2 hour drive to the beach for vacation this summer. (seriously, if you can't afford an extra $5 for gas, you probably shouldn't be taking a vacation in the first place.)

No. I was pointing out that it appeared that Gilmore misunderstood the question that I was asking.
The Dutch have the dubious distinction of paying the most to fill 'er up, according to the U.S. Deptatment of Energy. (There are various agencies that track gasoline prices, but these are among the most recent figures available.) As of April 10, drivers in the Netherlands were paying the equivalent of about $6.73 a gallon at the pump. The gas itself cost $2.61; the rest — $4.12 — represented tax. That’s a 158 percent tax. By comparison, the U.S. has the lowest tax on gasoline of any industrialized country: about 15 percent at current prices.
What in this doesn't answer your question?

Getting closer to the point where the company I consult at would rather have me telecommute then pay me more to come in. We've had discussion before about me driving in vs. telecommuting and this will just add more to my argument to allow me to telecommute more.. :thumbup:

I write code, I have no reason at all to be in the office except to use their T3 lines to post here ;) and listen to the complaining of the "Real" employees about their pay/job.

With any luck I can talk them into 3 day drive-in weeks soon. :pickle:

I think it's more the ho-hum attitude than an actual quote. HTH.

What in this doesn't answer your question?
Nothing. It does. And it was posted after I asked it.Why is this so important to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's more the ho-hum attitude than an actual quote. HTH.
Ah."Let them eat cake" becomes "Let them ride bikes".

question for the people saying "well, Europeans are paying $7 a gallon so shut up"

what does it matter what Europeans are paying?

should we also shut up about the price of basic necessities until inflation is at "1593%" because people in Zimbabwe are paying exorbitant prices for milk and eggs.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread