What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gas prices: worse than '81 oil shock (2 Viewers)

either it's Republicans saying "so what, Europeans pay $7 a gallon" or it's Dems saying "this is a crime!"
I'm Republican, and I think Republicans who don't think gas prices affect people are being extremely short-sighted. "I'm not feeling it so no one else must be feeling it"? What kind of a mindset is that?
Where have you heard people say that?
I think it's more the ho-hum attitude than an actual quote. HTH.
Ah."Let them eat cake" becomes "Let them ride bikes".
Well put. :thumbup:

gas goes up 50% in 6 weeks and we're supposed to just shrug our shoulders and say "that's just the way it is"?
What else do you suggest?
i think a Congressional investigation is in order at the very least.gas goes up 4-5 cents a day around here. with reasons like "well, a semi overturned in Idaho last nite.. devestated the world market." :wall:gas was $1.99 here about 6 weeks ago. it's $3.36 this morning. i'm no maff expert but that looks like a 60% increase to me. i can't think of one other product that has increased 60% in 6 weeks despite falling oil prices and increased supply.

gas goes up 50% in 6 weeks and we're supposed to just shrug our shoulders and say "that's just the way it is"?
:wall: It is what it is. You can show all the outrage you want. But as long as you keep buying SUV's to drive to work and keep buying the gas they will continue to charge what they want when they want.I still can't get over watching a news report about the cost of gas.. They interviewed one person after another driving SUV's alone on their way to work complaining about the price of gas. :goodposting:

should we not be enraged that Venezuelans pay $0.12 a gallon?

i mean.. we're paying a LOT more than that. :wall:
As soon as we can drill in our own backyard and supply our own oil then we can have those prices to.
BUT WE'RE AMERICA! just flipping the idea that we should all shut up because Europeans pay $7 a gallon. :goodposting: doesn't quite work like that... if we should eat #### because Europe pays double. shouldn't we be burning embassies because Venezuelans pay a fraction of what we do?

yeah it's stupid. but so is the idea that because Europeans are taxed outrageously.. that we should be content we're not. :goodposting:

dunno what the two have to do with each other. we're talking American gas prices.. not European.

Other perks the Venezualens get:

Only 3% of the sewage in the country is treated,

20% of the population don't have access to potable water

20% of kids are malnourished

37% of the population live in poverty.

They have nearly 3x the cases of AIDS that we do even though our population is over 11x theirs.

All things considered, I'll stick with the USA and the $3.29 per gallon.

:lmao: It is what it is. You can show all the outrage you want. But as long as you keep buying SUV's to drive to work and keep buying the gas they will continue to charge what they want when they want.I still can't get over watching a news report about the cost of gas.. They interviewed one person after another driving SUV's alone on their way to work complaining about the price of gas. :shrug:
people are complaining because something that was once reasonable.. has nearly doubled in very short order.of course people are going to complain. it's shocking. my fiancee has no choice but to commute to work right now.. she's dropping $45 a week in the tank. $180 a month. we're not exactly banking chet money over here. and she drives a car that's getting appx 30-32 mpg. not a gas guzzler by current standards.

Other perks the Venezualens get:

Only 3% of the sewage in the country is treated,

20% of the population don't have access to potable water

20% of kids are malnourished

37% of the population live in poverty.

They have nearly 3x the cases of AIDS that we do even though our population is over 11x theirs.

All things considered, I'll stick with the USA and the $3.29 per gallon.
and this is kinda my point.it's silly to compare our gas prices to that of Europe. there's really no comparison. :lmao: it's just as dumb, to me anyways, as comparing what Venezuelans pay.

different countries, different governments, different treaties and agreements, different supply. it's apples and bicycles.

Local news story here on TV was about cancer patients not being able to afford gas to get to their treatments now (vs. a month ago). They were driving about 40 miles each way. Let's see -- 20 mpg, that's 2 gallons each way. So, now about $12.50 a trip vs. $10.50 a month ago. $2 holding you back from taking your cancer treatment.

This interview was conducted in a Starbucks, where...oh, nevermind.

i mean.. we're paying a LOT more than that. :lmao:
As soon as we can drill in our own backyard and supply our own oil then we can have those prices to.
BUT WE'RE AMERICA! just flipping the idea that we should all shut up because Europeans pay $7 a gallon. :shrug: doesn't quite work like that... if we should eat #### because Europe pays double. shouldn't we be burning embassies because Venezuelans pay a fraction of what we do?

yeah it's stupid. but so is the idea that because Europeans are taxed outrageously.. that we should be content we're not. :shrug:

dunno what the two have to do with each other. we're talking American gas prices.. not European.
Not my argument GB.. My argument is we've brought this upon ourselves by buying as many SUV's and F350's we could when prices were below $2.

I'm with you.. the prices here have NOTHING to do with what those "over there" pay.

All we can do is do what each person can do to reduce your consumption.

My wife & I both drive vechiles that get 30+ to the gallon..

We have made the decision to only drive within a hour or two from our house this year with our RV to save money.

Adjust to the situation around you and plan ahead.

If I had some extra money I'd look into buying something like this for our around town trips:

Cheap

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes me wonder, is why hasn't the Government increased the Gas Per Diem? It has been the same price since Jan last year.

If I had some extra money I'd look into buying something like this for our around town trips:

Cheap
:lmao: If you had $5500 extra dollars, you'd a) spend it on a $5500 motorcycle rather than b) take $500 to pay for the added expense of the vehicles you already drive and pocket the $5000 difference?

You guys do understand how oil and gas prices are determined, don't you? The oil companies don't just "decide" what to charge.
Can't speak for others, but I'm much more interested in what's happening upstream from the oil companies. Why is refining capacity so strained? More upstream -- why is the $/barrel price moving so much and so quickly?

i think a Congressional investigation is in order at the very least.
Do you really think this hasn't been done multiple times before? Why do you want to see Congress waste time yet again on this to only prove that it is supply and demand in action?

Cheap
:rolleyes: If you had $5500 extra dollars, you'd a) spend it on a $5500 motorcycle rather than b) take $500 to pay for the added expense of the vehicles you already drive and pocket the $5000 difference?
:mellow: Something to cruise around town in without wasting gas. The trips around town are a waste of gas.

Start the car, drive a mile or two, turn off car, restart car, drive to other side of town, shut off car.. Restart car, drive another couple miles, repeat until I get back home......

Also, notice I said "Something like this".. I'd actually look to buy used and something a lot cheaper(<$1000).. That was just the first link I found..

i mean.. we're paying a LOT more than that. :o
BUT WE'RE AMERICA! just flipping the idea that we should all shut up because Europeans pay $7 a gallon. :shrug: doesn't quite work like that... if we should eat #### because Europe pays double. shouldn't we be burning embassies because Venezuelans pay a fraction of what we do?

yeah it's stupid. but so is the idea that because Europeans are taxed outrageously.. that we should be content we're not. :shrug:

Not my argument GB.. My argument is we've brought this upon ourselves by buying as many SUV's and F350's we could when prices were below $2.

I'm with you.. the prices here have NOTHING to do with what those "over there" pay.

We have made the decision to only drive within a hour or two from our house this year with our RV to save money.

Cheap
:rolleyes: i've taken to walking to work. look for a trimmer/slimmer furley in '07!

You guys do understand how oil and gas prices are determined, don't you? The oil companies don't just "decide" what to charge.
Can't speak for others, but I'm much more interested in what's happening upstream from the oil companies. Why is refining capacity so strained? More upstream -- why is the $/barrel price moving so much and so quickly?
The most recent reason I have seen for the sudden increase to the price of oil is because Mr. Chaves decided to nationalize the oil industry and back out of OPEC, among other things. Actions such as this cause the futures market to freak out thus driving up the cost of fuels and other petrol based items. Also petrolium jelly is not actually made from petrol, incase anyone was still wondering.Schlzm

i mean.. we're paying a LOT more than that. :shrug:

Cheap
:rolleyes: i've taken to walking to work. look for a trimmer/slimmer furley in '07!
Yea, but your future wife said she is marrying you for the extra warmth in the winter time.. guess she will have to find another for that.. :o ;)

... only prove that it is supply and demand in action?
I'm not currently satisfied with the pat answer of "supply and demand, supply and demand". I have questions about how oil-producing nations calculate supply and demand, and how they adjust/don't adjust production to match the data. How good are they at predicting the near-term future? Do they heed the data selectively (ignore future signs of lower demand, while trumpeting anticipations of greater demand)?Are all the gradual $1/$2 bumps in the per-barrel price absolutely necessary? Are those bumps in respone to real events, or anticipations? Those are small ripples that cause big waves as they percolate through the system.

:rolleyes: It is what it is. You can show all the outrage you want. But as long as you keep buying SUV's to drive to work and keep buying the gas they will continue to charge what they want when they want.

I still can't get over watching a news report about the cost of gas..

They interviewed one person after another driving SUV's alone on their way to work complaining about the price of gas. :o
people are complaining because something that was once reasonable.. has nearly doubled in very short order.of course people are going to complain. it's shocking.

my fiancee has no choice but to commute to work right now.. she's dropping $45 a week in the tank. $180 a month. we're not exactly banking chet money over here. and she drives a car that's getting appx 30-32 mpg. not a gas guzzler by current standards.
50% is "nearly double"?

I'm not defending gas companies, but they do have to operate within the law. And when the law requires summer grade gasoline to be different than winter grade gasoline, they have to build up a storage of the current grade so they can begin switching the facilities over to processing the next grade. If people begin consuming that storage more than they predicted, they're going to increase the price to help the storage last until the next grade can begin to be sold.

I'm not currently satisfied with the pat answer of "supply and demand, supply and demand". I have questions about how oil-producing nations calculate supply and demand, and how they adjust/don't adjust production to match the data. How good are they at predicting the near-term future? Do they heed the data selectively (ignore future signs of lower demand, while trumpeting anticipations of greater demand)?Are all the gradual $1/$2 bumps in the per-barrel price absolutely necessary? Are those bumps in respone to real events, or anticipations? Those are small ripples that cause big waves as they percolate through the system.
OPEC determines it. It's a cartel, of which Saddam use to be a member of. The members don't like each other, but they also don't like the rest of the world. Makes for a great situation.

I'm not currently satisfied with the pat answer of "supply and demand, supply and demand".
There is some truth in the "supply and demand" logic. Remember back when gas was dirt cheap during the clinton administration? That was the result of a mass sell-off of the strategic oil reserves (which was ordered to obtain a balanced budget) With so much oil out there, prices dropped like a stone. It even got to the point where the U.S. was selling it's oil for less than they bought it. So the Dept. of Energy suspended sales of the strategic oil reserves until the price went back up. The price did go up, so DOE started selling the oil again to lower prices (interesting side note: Clinton made a big deal when the gas prices started going up by saying he was authorizing the sale of the Strategic Oil Reserves to help keep gas prices down, when in fact the order to sell the gas had come a year earlier and DOE had already predetermined when to start sellling oil again. Nice spin.)

:rolleyes: It is what it is. You can show all the outrage you want. But as long as you keep buying SUV's to drive to work and keep buying the gas they will continue to charge what they want when they want.

They interviewed one person after another driving SUV's alone on their way to work complaining about the price of gas. :o
people are complaining because something that was once reasonable.. has nearly doubled in very short order.of course people are going to complain. it's shocking.

my fiancee has no choice but to commute to work right now.. she's dropping $45 a week in the tank. $180 a month. we're not exactly banking chet money over here. and she drives a car that's getting appx 30-32 mpg. not a gas guzzler by current standards.
50% is "nearly double"?
I paid $1.79/gallon a little over a year ago. On Friday I paid $3.42 a gallon.

The most recent reason I have seen for the sudden increase to the price of oil is because Mr. Chaves decided to nationalize the oil industry and back out of OPEC, among other things. Actions such as this cause the futures market to freak out thus driving up the cost of fuels and other petrol based items.
Thanks for the response.There are some black boxes in your response that I would love to see opened (note that I'm not putting you personally on the hook for greater detail, as I'm sure these issues are pretty darned complicated). For instance, I didn't think Venezuela controlled a large enough percentage of the world's production to cause a "freak-out". Also, is the "freak out" warranted? Isn't Venezuela still selling oil on the market,only now in competition to OPEC? If so, why isn't this competition leading to a decrease in per-barrel prices?

And what exactly constitutes a "freak out"? Is that really a good enough excuse? Perhaps instead of "freaking out", there's some analysts out there that need to spend a little more time checking out the price environment, and not just clicking on the "INCREASE" button everytime anything changes.

Look, I'm just trying to apply some common sense to a ridiculously complex system. I know I'm missing loads of facts and nuances here. I would love just to understand, and be able to mentally account for the quick movement of the price I pay at the pump.

Are there really a lot of people saying "Who cares - Europe past $7"???
:bag:
I am baffled at Americans complaining about the price of petrol in their country. Most countries in europe have the price at $7 a gallon.
i've seen it come up a bit in these oil price discussions. and was over-hearing an argument about it this weekend.
Jeez.I would hope that this does not represent the majority of the thinking out there.

:bag: It is what it is. You can show all the outrage you want. But as long as you keep buying SUV's to drive to work and keep buying the gas they will continue to charge what they want when they want.

They interviewed one person after another driving SUV's alone on their way to work complaining about the price of gas. :lmao:

50% is "nearly double"?
WHERE I COME FROM IT IS! :digsinheels:YOU WANT SOME!?!?! :turnshataround: :lmao:

Are there really a lot of people saying "Who cares - Europe past $7"???
:bag:
I am baffled at Americans complaining about the price of petrol in their country. Most countries in europe have the price at $7 a gallon.
i've seen it come up a bit in these oil price discussions. and was over-hearing an argument about it this weekend.
If Offa an American? I know I've heard Doctor Detroit say similar things, but he actually lives in Europe (Netherlands if I recall)

:bag: It is what it is. You can show all the outrage you want. But as long as you keep buying SUV's to drive to work and keep buying the gas they will continue to charge what they want when they want.

They interviewed one person after another driving SUV's alone on their way to work complaining about the price of gas. :lmao:

50% is "nearly double"?
I paid $1.79/gallon a little over a year ago. On Friday I paid $3.42 a gallon.
a year is "very short order"?

I'll make sure the global gasoline price-setting czar seeks your approval on all future increases.
DeathBytes and Rayderr are helping to increase my (and others') understanding. Through jest, y are saying essentially that I should not seek to understand ... that I should just accept it. In a sense, I must accept it, of course ... but I'd like to accept it with a better idea of what's going on. What can I say? I'm a curious sort.Death, Rayderr -- the implication of your posts is that a lot of the at-the-pump price of gasoline actually gets determined post-refining. I thought the opposite was true for America (because taxes are a proportionally bigger issue for European gas prices, for example).

So ... let's say that the entire U.S. government made it their sworn mission to significantly lower gas prices, starting today. The goal is a $1.50/gal national average by Labor Day 2007. Are there methods out there by which this could be accomplished (anything you can think of is in play)? Methods out there by which this could be maintained? And is doing so desirable? Would it cause a long-term problem of some kind?

The most recent reason I have seen for the sudden increase to the price of oil is because Mr. Chaves decided to nationalize the oil industry and back out of OPEC, among other things. Actions such as this cause the futures market to freak out thus driving up the cost of fuels and other petrol based items.
Thanks for the response.There are some black boxes in your response that I would love to see opened (note that I'm not putting you personally on the hook for greater detail, as I'm sure these issues are pretty darned complicated). For instance, I didn't think Venezuela controlled a large enough percentage of the world's production to cause a "freak-out". Also, is the "freak out" warranted? Isn't Venezuela still selling oil on the market,only now in competition to OPEC? If so, why isn't this competition leading to a decrease in per-barrel prices?

And what exactly constitutes a "freak out"? Is that really a good enough excuse? Perhaps instead of "freaking out", there's some analysts out there that need to spend a little more time checking out the price environment, and not just clicking on the "INCREASE" button everytime anything changes.

Look, I'm just trying to apply some common sense to a ridiculously complex system. I know I'm missing loads of facts and nuances here. I would love just to understand, and be able to mentally account for the quick movement of the price I pay at the pump.
I don't have all the answers to your questions but I will try and add a little more insight and provide a few links as to why Venezuelas recent actions have cause the sudden changes to the futures markets.Major dealings with China

Takes over drilling operations from foreign companies.

Takes over local TelCo

Sweeping nationalization overview

Strategic agreements with China

Sweeping reforms throughout government

Add to this other activities around the world such as growing Russian hostility, Iranian hardlining, Iraq, some Royal ##### crashing his yacht in the ME, etc... etc... and it really starts to affect how investors trade on the futures markets and how OPEC decides to throttle output.

Schlzm

I'll make sure the global gasoline price-setting czar seeks your approval on all future increases.
DeathBytes and Rayderr are helping to increase my (and others') understanding. Through jest, y are saying essentially that I should not seek to understand ... that I should just accept it. In a sense, I must accept it, of course ... but I'd like to accept it with a better idea of what's going on. What can I say? I'm a curious sort.Death, Rayderr -- the implication of your posts is that a lot of the at-the-pump price of gasoline actually gets determined post-refining. I thought the opposite was true for America (because taxes are a proportionally bigger issue for European gas prices, for example).

So ... let's say that the entire U.S. government made it their sworn mission to significantly lower gas prices, starting today. The goal is a $1.50/gal national average by Labor Day 2007. Are there methods out there by which this could be accomplished (anything you can think of is in play)? Methods out there by which this could be maintained? And is doing so desirable? Would it cause a long-term problem of some kind?
Sure there are ways. But would the government do it? I doubt it. I think the government realizes it's in the best interests of America's future that gas prices continue to increase. One of the reasons alternative fuels aren't a pragmatic solution is because they are so expensive. People don't want to drive alternative fuel vehicles when alternative fuel is $5-$6 a gallon and gas is $2 a gallon. But the more expensive gas becomes, the more appealing alternative fuels become. I don't think it's a conspiracy within the government to just let gas prices increase. I just think no one is going to stand up and fight it because both parties can see that higher gas prices eventually leads us to reduce our dependence on foriegn oil.

I don't have all the answers to your questions but I will try and add a little more insight and provide a few links as to why Venezuelas recent actions have cause the sudden changes to the futures markets.Major dealings with China

Takes over drilling operations from foreign companies.

Takes over local TelCo

Sweeping nationalization overview

Strategic agreements with China

Sweeping reforms throughout government

Add to this other activities around the world such as growing Russian hostility, Iranian hardlining, Iraq, some Royal ##### crashing his yacht in the ME, etc... etc... and it really starts to affect how investors trade on the futures markets and how OPEC decides to throttle output.

Schlzm
this type stuff has been happening for years and years and years. gas stayed relatively stable for most of my teens and 20s. we went through a war during that period, a conflict or three, saw the collapse of the USSR. we had major hurricanes, devestation of Kuwait and Iraq's oil fields...those are pretty major changes.... gas generally stayed the same or at least the fluctuations were "reasonable". now every other day or so we read another news article about how Bangladesh has experienced a drop in their birth rate by 0.00002% which has a(e)ffected the way oil is refined in Greenland so we can expect a 4 cent increase at the pump.

it's a joke

gas prices literally go up 4-5 cents every 2 to 3 days here.

a year is "very short order"?
Actually ... yes. Compare it to the price of groceries, clothes, automobiles, etc. Gasoline has increased far faster than any other consumer good I can think of.Consider my vantage point: In my driving lifetime, gas around here moved, with some fluctuations, between about 70 cents to $1.25/gal over the course of about 15 years (up until January 2003). But in the last 4 1/2 years, the price has more than doubled, and has done so in an especially herky-jerky manner.

Only way that happens is open up drilling in other areas in the United States.. Alaska, Wyoming, Gulf of Mexico, etc.. We are currently controlled by our demand of overseas oil. America needs to look at themselves and decide:

Do we continue to rely on Mid-east and Venezuela for our oil and continue to consume more and more oil?

Or do we say enough is enough.. Cut back on consumption, start doing our own drilling and truly look for alternative energy instead of all talk and no substance.

Until that happens we will have no choice but to pay what they charge.

Only way that happens is open up drilling in other areas in the United States.. Alaska, Wyoming, Gulf of Mexico, etc.. We are currently controlled by our demand of overseas oil. America needs to look at themselves and decide:

Do we continue to rely on Mid-east and Venezuela for our oil and continue to consume more and more oil?

Or do we say enough is enough.. Cut back on consumption, start doing our own drilling and truly look for alternative energy instead of all talk and no substance.

Until that happens we will have no choice but to pay what they charge.
how much burden does the auto industry bear for not adapting more eco-friendly auto's? or for not sticking in a more fuel efficient engine?how much effect does 2 wars have on the price of oil? the US military has to be sucking up the oil faster than any other segment of similar size.

I think the government realizes it's in the best interests of America's future that gas prices continue to increase. One of the reasons alternative fuels aren't a pragmatic solution is because they are so expensive. People don't want to drive alternative fuel vehicles when alternative fuel is $5-$6 a gallon and gas is $2 a gallon. But the more expensive gas becomes, the more appealing alternative fuels become. I don't think it's a conspiracy within the government to just let gas prices increase. I just think no one is going to stand up and fight it because both parties can see that higher gas prices eventually leads us to reduce our dependence on foriegn oil.
Thanks for another thoughtful response.Especially noteworthy is that some powerful people are resisting the temptation to score quick popularity points as they stand back and "let" the gas prices rise. I can agree that reduced dependence on foreign oil is a worthy long-term (heck, middle-term) goal.Over time, perhaps expensive gas can also trigger the entire economy upward. There should be some kind of trickle effect that puts more pressure on companies to increase the prices for goods (already happenings), and for these prices to eventually get passed on to American labor as wage increases (because people will need more $$$ to live on, and will not work for year 2002 wages).

how much burden does the auto industry bear for not adapting more eco-friendly auto's? or for not sticking in a more fuel efficient engine?
It's not the auto industry's responsibility to keep gasoline affordable for everyone. The auto industry is supposed be held accountable by consumer demand - if Americans are genuinely upset with the price of gasoline (and/or its consumption's effect on the environment), then those feelings should be manifested by a drop in demand for automobile's that are not "eco-friendly."

Actually, my comments dealt more with crude oil prices and how they affect gasoline prices. But I'll answer your questions anyways...Ways the Fed. Gov't can make it gas cost less:

1. Implement a nationwide, year-round gas formula, so that refineries don't have to keep switching every couple months and make several different blends.

2. More oil supply. sadly, this means more drilling. can't get gasoline without the crude oil. but if not in the U.S. try to broker a deal with the Russians. their economy is in the crapper, and many oil industry experts believe they are sitting on a huge oil field.

3. Make hybrid engines mandatory. The quality of engines is to the point now where it rivals combustion engines. making it standard should help lower the cost of hybrid vehicles as well.

Users who are viewing this thread