What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones (1 Viewer)

Jun. 9 - 11:11 am et

Lions coach Rod Marinelli acknowledged Friday that Kevin Jones (foot) and Brian Calhoun (torn ACL) are candidates to begin the year on PUP.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...356/1004/SPORTS
so much for "he's running on the side of the field" puff pieces . . .-------------------

they didnt trade for Bell for nothing . . .
Yeah, definitely a high risk/high reward player, especially for redraft. For dynasty I like his long-term prospects better ... and he's been dropping far in initial dynasty drafts ... represents great value IF he returns healthy sometime this year.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli acknowledged Friday that Kevin Jones (foot) and Brian Calhoun (torn ACL) are candidates to begin the year on PUP.

no reason why management/coaches would rush him back, exactly why they traded for T.Bell and got Duckett. Yes, Martz loves KJ is what he heard all of last year, but noone really knows if he'll ever be back to full strength, and even if he does, i don't think he can be better than how he did last year before the injury.high-risk, low-reward IMO.

so much for "he's running on the side of the field" puff pieces . . .-------------------

Yeah, definitely a high risk/high reward player, especially for redraft. For dynasty I like his long-term prospects better ... and he's been dropping far in initial dynasty drafts ... represents great value IF he returns healthy sometime this year.
:confused: In a 10-team initial dynasty draft, I got Kevin Jones in the 6th, as the 26th RB off the board, after guys like Brandon Jacobs, Deuce McAllister, and Thomas Jones. After that, I just grabbed Bell in the 10th as some insurance (31st RB off the board). The best part of this strategy is that Tatum is a free agent after this season, so if Kevin Jones proves he's healthy, it's possible Bell goes elsewhere and starts next year, giving you two young starting RBs. And if KJ isn't healthy, then you still have Bell in Detroit.

no reason why management/coaches would rush him back, exactly why they traded for T.Bell and got Duckett. Yes, Martz loves KJ is what he heard all of last year, but noone really knows if he'll ever be back to full strength, and even if he does, i don't think he can be better than how he did last year before the injury.high-risk, low-reward IMO.
There's no reason to think that he cant come back at full strength and just as good as he was before. If he heals and rehabs correctly there should be nothing keeping him from doing so. Also keep in mind this is just one bit of information as there have been quite a few reports of him running and exercising on it. Also as far as "High Risk/ Low Reward", thats just silly. Where is this "high risk", even in a dynasty you could give an owner an apple and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and they'll hand him right over. His perceived value is next to nothing, so the more accurate description would be low risk, possible high reward

There's no reason to think that he cant come back at full strength and just as good as he was before. If he heals and rehabs correctly there should be nothing keeping him from doing so. Also keep in mind this is just one bit of information as there have been quite a few reports of him running and exercising on it. Also as far as "High Risk/ Low Reward", thats just silly. Where is this "high risk", even in a dynasty you could give an owner an apple and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and they'll hand him right over. His perceived value is next to nothing, so the more accurate description would be low risk, possible high reward
If he didnt get hurt, i'd say he was for sure going to get better just as any 3rd year RBs would, and 2nd year in Martz system. All I've heard from this injury are doom and gloom remarks like some guys dont come back at all from this injury. Feet for a RB is HUGE to say the least. Best case is he comes back and be an average back at best, i dont think you can expect what most guys including me was expecting for this guy, a top-10 back if not for the injury. This injury will and have set his development back and i doubt he'll ever be the same.Just my opinion. I plan to pass on this guy as I really dont see the high-risk/high-reward value. Hey, I could be wrong.

Duane I know we are both in agreeance on this. :headbang:

Id

lol ... maybe some KJ owners ... I've got him in a dynasty and it would take a little more than that ... I recognize the possibility that he may never return from injury (or be a shell of the best RB he's demonstrated to date), but I'll wait out this season before considering trading him for less than fair market value for a good young RB ... I haven't received anything other than a couple low-ball offers so far, as expected, but I'm content to wait it out (fortunately have 3 other solid RBs in that league) ... if he returns healthy, I'll be surprised if he doesn't quickly regain featured back status ... which would equate to RB5-15 in DET (if he can stay healthy) ... so I guess I'm betting that he returns AND performs well AND stays healthy ... high risk/high reward IMO ...

Don't read too much into the comment. There is a video of Marinelli talking about this. Before you jump to conclusions, listen to this and even more important, watch Marinelli hesitate when asked and look at the expression on his face. He clearly wasn't sure that will happen, only that it's a possibility.

I don't think this says anything that we already don't know. Everyone knows Kevin Jones is questionable for the start of the season. The way the comment was shown doesn't reflect how he said it. I don't think it means anything different than has been said all along. It doesn't mean that they don't think he will be ready, it means he is a candidate to go on PUP. That is no more of a negative than the other pieces on how he is progressing is a positive. It is a wait and see thing, and this doesn't say they are leaning to placing him on PUP, it says that it COULD happen.

Here is the interview. You can clearly tell he didn't want to commit to anything either way. Listen for yourself, here is a link, along with a couple of interviews with Martz, one about Stanton, and another about the offense in general.

http://spartannation.com/Hondo's_House...39;s_House.html

In the Marinelli interview, the part about the injuries is at about the 10:45 point in the interview. Watch his expressions carefully and listen to how he hesitates, and to me that is very telling.

Personally, the Jones situation is the same as it has been in my opinion. Do yourselves a favor and watch this interview before rushing off and making a trade or something. Watch this closely, and listen carefully and judge for yourself.

Hmm. The original story at the Detroit news reads:

Marinelli said five players recovering from injuries are candidates to be on the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list when training camp opens July 26: tailbacks Kevin Jones (foot), Brian Calhoun (knee) and Shawn Bryson (knee), tight end Dan Campbell (elbow) and cornerback Dee McCann (knee).
And naturally, being on the training camp PUP is quite different from starting the season there.Of course this is still well worth keeping a :blackdot: on, but I'm wondering if whoever posted that on Rotoworld didn't overreact.

There's no reason to think that he cant come back at full strength and just as good as he was before.
Are you sure about this? Isn't this the injury that no RB has come back from and been the same? Didn't it essentially end Duce Staley's career

jones had a decent rookie year, but a dreadfull season in '05. he had less than 700 yards, a 3.6 YPC, and was virtually worthless. his only value last year was in PPR leagues. he had 61 receptions in 12 games, but still couldn't crack 4.0 YPC. he was also only on a pace for 900 yards rushing. so, his only claim to fame the last 2 years is the 5 catches a game he averaged. that is impressive in a PPR league, but it is also something that can change very fast.

jones is only worth something as long as he is catching passes in matrz system. if he can come back, and continue where he left off, is not someting i would want to bet on.

There's no reason to think that he cant come back at full strength and just as good as he was before.
Are you sure about this? Isn't this the injury that no RB has come back from and been the same? Didn't it essentially end Duce Staley's career
Brian Westbrook seems to be doing OK.
Warrick Dunn also came back from a lisfranc injury just fine. Sorry, old news, I was already beaten to the punch on Dunn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't read too much into the comment. There is a video of Marinelli talking about this. Before you jump to conclusions, listen to this and even more important, watch Marinelli hesitate when asked and look at the expression on his face. He clearly wasn't sure that will happen, only that it's a possibility.

I don't think this says anything that we already don't know. Everyone knows Kevin Jones is questionable for the start of the season. The way the comment was shown doesn't reflect how he said it. I don't think it means anything different than has been said all along. It doesn't mean that they don't think he will be ready, it means he is a candidate to go on PUP. That is no more of a negative than the other pieces on how he is progressing is a positive. It is a wait and see thing, and this doesn't say they are leaning to placing him on PUP, it says that it COULD happen.

Here is the interview. You can clearly tell he didn't want to commit to anything either way. Listen for yourself, here is a link, along with a couple of interviews with Martz, one about Stanton, and another about the offense in general.

In the Marinelli interview, the part about the injuries is at about the 10:45 point in the interview. Watch his expressions carefully and listen to how he hesitates, and to me that is very telling.

Personally, the Jones situation is the same as it has been in my opinion. Do yourselves a favor and watch this interview before rushing off and making a trade or something. Watch this closely, and listen carefully and judge for yourself.
Thanks for the linkage. Good info here. :confused:

The Lions should be concerned about who is going to block on 3rd downs . . .

Bryson is not a FF factor (directly anyway)

but his presence on passing downs helps Kitna and the receivers . . . if KJ is out as well . . . who blocks??

Bell and Duckett are average at best . . . the problem is that Martz needs a very good blocker to give Kitna time to throw the deep routes . . .

People will hear what they want to hear.

jones had a decent rookie year, but a dreadfull season in '05. he had less than 700 yards, a 3.6 YPC, and was virtually worthless. his only value last year was in PPR leagues. he had 61 receptions in 12 games, but still couldn't crack 4.0 YPC. he was also only on a pace for 900 yards rushing. so, his only claim to fame the last 2 years is the 5 catches a game he averaged. that is impressive in a PPR league, but it is also something that can change very fast. jones is only worth something as long as he is catching passes in matrz system. if he can come back, and continue where he left off, is not someting i would want to bet on.
This is a solid articulation of the dowside Kevin Jones, but it is hardly a fair estimate of his upside or his past performance. It ascribes his rookie year (far more than "decent," by the way) to random chance, blames him fully for 2005, and only marginally values his solid top 10 performance last year. I'm more impressed by the fact that he had a lower YPC on a struggling offense and still found a way to score huge points. I see the Lions offense getting better each year, and along with that, individual statistics.A healthy Kevin Jones is a top 10 RB, IMO.

PUP means he is out for this first 6 weeks right
The regular season PUP - yes.The pre-season PUP (which the coach is talking about "we can take him off 3 days later"), he can be taken off at any time. It just saves the Lions a pre-season roster spot for required roster cut-down days.The title to this thread is misleading as well.The article says training camp, the title of the post says season.A full 6 weeks from July 26th isn't even week one of the NFL season (Sep 9th)

jones had a decent rookie year, but a dreadfull season in '05. he had less than 700 yards, a 3.6 YPC, and was virtually worthless. his only value last year was in PPR leagues. he had 61 receptions in 12 games, but still couldn't crack 4.0 YPC. he was also only on a pace for 900 yards rushing. so, his only claim to fame the last 2 years is the 5 catches a game he averaged. that is impressive in a PPR league, but it is also something that can change very fast. jones is only worth something as long as he is catching passes in matrz system. if he can come back, and continue where he left off, is not someting i would want to bet on.
This is a solid articulation of the dowside Kevin Jones, but it is hardly a fair estimate of his upside or his past performance. It ascribes his rookie year (far more than "decent," by the way) to random chance, blames him fully for 2005, and only marginally values his solid top 10 performance last year. I'm more impressed by the fact that he had a lower YPC on a struggling offense and still found a way to score huge points. I see the Lions offense getting better each year, and along with that, individual statistics.A healthy Kevin Jones is a top 10 RB, IMO.
:coffee: You also have to consider the offense in 2005. Mariucci's play calling was so bad I could sit in my chair and know the plays. Not only that, the QB's were Harrington and an injured Garcia. The WR's were terrible, the line was and still in terrible, and the players had no confidence that it would improve. The 2006 offense was a lot better than 2005, but still could not consistently run the ball. The guards were terrible and by the last game we started two 3rd string guards and a 3rd string right tackle, 2 of the 3 were not with the team until late in the season and weren't here in training camp. Jones ran hard last year. But you can't run with no holes. You can't just look at plain numbers/stats and not consider the circumstances. Also, nothing is better than seeing them play a lot. The line was clearly the main reason the yards per carry was only around 4. There were so many changes that they never had any continuity or chemistry, and those 2 things are very important to not only the offensive line, but the rest of the offense as well.

:D You also have to consider the offense in 2005. Mariucci's play calling was so bad I could sit in my chair and know the plays. Not only that, the QB's were Harrington and an injured Garcia. The WR's were terrible, the line was and still in terrible, and the players had no confidence that it would improve. The 2006 offense was a lot better than 2005, but still could not consistently run the ball. The guards were terrible and by the last game we started two 3rd string guards and a 3rd string right tackle, 2 of the 3 were not with the team until late in the season and weren't here in training camp. Jones ran hard last year. But you can't run with no holes. You can't just look at plain numbers/stats and not consider the circumstances. Also, nothing is better than seeing them play a lot. The line was clearly the main reason the yards per carry was only around 4. There were so many changes that they never had any continuity or chemistry, and those 2 things are very important to not only the offensive line, but the rest of the offense as well.
What I liked in the Martz interview you linked to, his final comments were about the offensive line. That Martz, who many believe (and with good reason) is an offensive genius, believes the most important aspect of a football team and the game of football is the offensive line. He says it effects how the team runs the ball how they protect the QB how long the defense has to be on the field.. everything starts with the offensive line. I know the Lambs have had some good lines when Martz was there starting with all world Orlando Pace as well as other good players. I have criticized him before for leaving his QBs too much in harms way not leaving in a RB to block and with the multiple WR sets (they have always used the TE as an extra blocker). What I didn't realize is how important the Oline is to Martz before hearing these comments and I think it is somthing to be mindful of if you respect Martz's knowledge of football especialy offensive football that he places this much emphais on the success or failure of a team on the abilities of the offensive line.

Brian Westbrook seems to be doing OK.
Warrick Dunn also came back from a lisfranc injury just fine. Sorry, old news, I was already beaten to the punch on Dunn.
Were Dunn/Westbrook's injuries close to Jones' in severity? I'd heard Jones was much worse. Don't remember Westbrook going through this kind of rehab - in fact, I didn't even think it was the same kind of injury, or was just a sprain. Dunn I can't remember.

Kevin Jones = Robert Smith, without the talent.he's a fragile potato chip.

Kevin Jones = Robert Smith, without the talent.he's a fragile potato chip.
I, for one, am happy to see nygiants56 have the above opinion since I disagree with his opinions in general -- given the above, look for Kevin Jones to have a phenomenal year.

PUP means he is out for this first 6 weeks right
The regular season PUP - yes.The pre-season PUP (which the coach is talking about "we can take him off 3 days later"), he can be taken off at any time. It just saves the Lions a pre-season roster spot for required roster cut-down days.The title to this thread is misleading as well.The article says training camp, the title of the post says season.A full 6 weeks from July 26th isn't even week one of the NFL season (Sep 9th)
:rolleyes:

Westbrook and Dunn both came back from the same injury, and lack of talent stifled staley's career
Westbrook's injury was MUCH LESS SEVERE than KJs. Westbrook had a Lis Franc sprain, KJ had a full blown fracture/dislocation. This doesn't work as a comparison IMO. Dunn is a better comparison because I believe he had very similar surgery. Having said that, the original poster's quote of "There's no reason to think he can't come back at full strength" doesn't make much sense to me. Of course there's a possibility he doesn't come back at full strength -- after any major injury like this, and this is a major injury, there is a possibility the player loses something. This doesn't mean KJ won't come back, but to say there is absolutely no concern about him being just as good as before the injury seems strange.

:goodposting: Great information. However, I couldn't figure out which was the correct video. I listened to the Marinelli interview in four parts and didn't hear KJ mentioned. Is the video not on that site anymore? Which one is it?

:thumbup: Great information. However, I couldn't figure out which was the correct video. I listened to the Marinelli interview in four parts and didn't hear KJ mentioned. Is the video not on that site anymore? Which one is it?

I just looked and it isn't there anymore. I think they were lucky to even have it there as long as they did. This is from mlive.com: Sunday update: The videos are now gone from the site. At the top now are a T.J. Duckett and Greg Jennings interview from a celebrity softball game.

Below is why:

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2007/0..._force_cut.html

New NFL policy will force cut back on MLive.com Lions coverage

Posted by Bill Emkow May 15, 2007 16:14PM

A new policy from the NFL will dramatically reduce the way MLive.com covers the Detroit Lions. Gone are the days of lengthy training camp or minicamp interviews, as well as weekly press conference audio. Here is the official word from the Lions and the NFL.

ONLINE VIDEO AND AUDIO USAGE (New NFL Policy)

Credentialed third-party news organizations (newspapers, local TV stations, magazines, regional and national sports networks) are permitted to use up 45 seconds per day of video and audio content (combined) of interviews or press conferences with NFL employees (including, but not limited to, players and coaches) or team practice footage for online use.

Video and audio content may not be used live and may be archived for 24 hours. Video and audio content can not be permanently archived.

All third-party media using interview, press conference or practice footage either in video or audio form must include links to NFL.com or Detroitlions.com regardless of footage source. (Ex: For more information, go to www.nfl.com and www.detroitlions.com)

Video and Audio content can only be used in an editorial context (i.e., as links or sidebars to illustrate stories) and can not be presented in separate multimedia sections of third-party websites.

Integrated ads are not permitted. Video and audio content may appear on pages with banners and contextual ads, but ads may not be specifically related to the NFL video or audio content.

Online video and audio usage policy is effective for gamedays and weekdays (mini-camp, OTA's, training camp and regular season practice week).

There is no limitation of "talking head" audio and video content of reporters that does not include practice footage, press conferences or interviews with NFL employees.

There is quite a bit of gray area that still needs to be sorted out, and even the Lions don't know every detail of this rule, so we'll still do our best with what we can. There are still a few other things way up in the air as to what is allowed and what isn't.

This won't prohibit Tom Kowalski's WDFN-AM Detroit audio from being posted, and from my understanding any interviews WDFN does with a Lions player, coach, or employee will still be available to us. The Dan Miller interviews are also still fair game. It's just press conferences, practice interviews, and post game interviews are likely over. All-in-all, 45 seconds of audio that cannot be archived likely is not worth the time put into it.

I was recently promoted to Managing Producer at MLive, that means I'll be out of the production side of the business. I will still be helping lead the editorial direction of the site, so you can expect us to keep up with what we are allowed to do. I do plan on keeping up with this blog as much as my schedule permits. My personal daily involvement was going to cut back, but there's no doubt this policy will affect us in a bigger way. Our days of going to Lions practices and press conferences may be over. (Or cut back dramatically. Photos are still a possibility.)

Enjoy today's photo gallery.

Westbrook and Dunn both came back from the same injury, and lack of talent stifled staley's career
Westbrook's injury was MUCH LESS SEVERE than KJs. Westbrook had a Lis Franc sprain, KJ had a full blown fracture/dislocation. This doesn't work as a comparison IMO. Dunn is a better comparison because I believe he had very similar surgery. Having said that, the original poster's quote of "There's no reason to think he can't come back at full strength" doesn't make much sense to me. Of course there's a possibility he doesn't come back at full strength -- after any major injury like this, and this is a major injury, there is a possibility the player loses something. This doesn't mean KJ won't come back, but to say there is absolutely no concern about him being just as good as before the injury seems strange.
Sometimes sprains can be MORE severe then fractures. I think the reality is no one has a clue how Jones will do...

A healthy Kevin Jones is a top 10 RB, IMO.
This is an oxymoron.
They used to say that about Isaac Bruce, Fred Taylor and a litany of other top performers. People on this board are too quick to permanently write players off due to injuries.
They also used to say it about Kijana Carter and Tim Biakabutuka.
A lot has happened in the last 10 years with respect to the career implications of injuries.

Sometimes sprains can be MORE severe then fractures. I think the reality is no one has a clue how Jones will do...
Sometimes sprains can be more severe, but in Westbrook's case it wasn't true. KJ's is worse and requires a much longer rehabilitation than Westy's did. You're dead on about no one has a clue about how Jones will do, which was my whole point. The original post's comment made it seem like it was impossible he wouldn't come back to 100%.

Sometimes sprains can be more severe, but in Westbrook's case it wasn't true. KJ's is worse and requires a much longer rehabilitation than Westy's did. You're dead on about no one has a clue about how Jones will do, which was my whole point. The original post's comment made it seem like it was impossible he wouldn't come back to 100%.
Personally, i'd stay away. Chances of him BETTER than where he was before the injury is low or even getting to where he was before he got hurt. Upside top-20/25, downside - career over.

Personally, i'd stay away. Chances of him BETTER than where he was before the injury is low or even getting to where he was before he got hurt. Upside top-20/25, downside - career over.
He was top-10 before he got hurt, though. Last season if you toss out week 11 (where he got hurt after 11 carries), he was on pace for 1750 total yards and 12 TDs (as well as a whopping 89 receptions). When he finally won the starting job his rookie season, he was on pace for 1690 yards and 9 TDs. His upside isn't top 20/25, it's top 10. Top 10 upside as the 25th-30th RB off the board? Sounds good to me.

Well, it's a good thing we still have a few months to sort this out before most drafts start. I think we are going to need all the time we can get on this one.

FWIW, I traded 3.03, 3.05 for KJ in a keeper, hoping he'll be alright in '08.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, baby, keepin' them fingers crossed.

Which is below 700 yards rushing, 5 fumbles, and a 3.8 ypc average. :goodposting:

This is an oxymoron.
They used to say that about Isaac Bruce, Fred Taylor and a litany of other top performers. People on this board are too quick to permanently write players off due to injuries.
How bout due to performance? According to FBG's rankings, he's never finished in the Top 20 of RB's since he's been in the league. Now I know rankings are subject to each leagues scoring system, but that has to count for a little. He certainly hasnt been Fred Taylor-like in performance. Fred has 3 Top 10 finishes and 1 at 11. Not ready to write him off, but to-date he hasnt done much to brag about.

This is an oxymoron.
How bout due to performance? According to FBG's rankings, he's never finished in the Top 20 of RB's since he's been in the league. Now I know rankings are subject to each leagues scoring system, but that has to count for a little. He certainly hasnt been Fred Taylor-like in performance. Fred has 3 Top 10 finishes and 1 at 11. Not ready to write him off, but to-date he hasnt done much to brag about.
Pro-rate. Pro-rate his numbers and he has two top-10 finishes in 3 years. When he's been healthy and on the field, he has produced very well.

Users who are viewing this thread