What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli or Romo, who would you rather have now? (1 Viewer)

if Samuel hangs onto that ball on their last drive the Eli sucks posts would be on this board in droves. The giants got all the bounces to go their way and their defense played incredible. They deserved to win but I'd still take romo any day of the week. Eli manages games the giants win. Romo WINS the games that Dallas wins. He's more of an integral part of the teams overall success than Eli was/is for the giants.
Man, I know that Im a Giants fan, but are we getting a different TV feed here than other people, or is the hatred for Eli just too much for some to overcome?First, the Samuel throw was bad... not as bad as Brett Favre's INT, but not good for sure.That said, Eli was absolutely the reason the Giants won in terms of offense. He was their MVP throughout the playoffs... huge drives, time and time again. Very few mistakes throughout the post season. Giants got all the bounces? What about those two long throws that Brady left WAY underthrown? Easily could have been intercepted on either one. I guess Eli throwing a very good pass for a likely 1st down - or VERY close - that gets popped into the air by Steve Smith for an INT is a good bounce for the Giants?Again, I can see someone taking Romo - but the reasons given in this thread by many are ludicrous and smell not of objective football but of some other motive.

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:
Still rather have Romo. His defense cost him the game against the Giants, not him. Eli didnt LEAD his team anywhere. He was the beneficiary of one of the most under rated defenses in football and a coach that was smart enough to take the game out of his hands. He made ONE good play in the super bowl. One. He was REALLY lucky on others, the fumble, the dropped INT by Samuel, the GREAT catch by Tyree.
You can legitimately say you want Romo.You can NOT legitimately say Eli did not lead his team anywhere. That is objectively and clearly wrong. Whether it is your fandom in your way or what I can't say - but watching the last month, the clutch play, Eli's calm in the huddle, and what everyone close to the team - objective reporters and non objective observers and teamates alike - will attest to how Eli was a true leader in this run.BTW, ONE good play in the SB? You are only hurting your credibility. The tyree TD was a perfect pass... there were many other passes similar to that (including Boss) that had to be thrown perfectly or an INT could have resulted. So, either you don't understand football, did not watch the playoffs, certainly did not watch (or understand what happened in) the Super Bowl, or for some reason you are biased so as not to see what was pretty damn apparant.That doesnt mean Eli will outperform Romo from here out... but to dismiss what Eli did during the past month is to ignore reality.One good play. :kicksrock: Please.
Its Romo and it is not even close in my view.Over two season Romo has proven to be a far more capable QB than Eli.He is also far more dangerous as a mobile QB...and doesn't fumble as much as Eli seems to. Romo has had two bad playoffs but he wasn't a disaster in those games. Romo is the best young QB in the league right. I find it far more likely that Romo repeats his overall states and passer rating from this year than Eli plays an entire season like he did in these 4 playoff games

Eli was virtually mistake free during their hot streak, but his passing numbers (other than INT's) were merely average. Romo set team records this year.

ROMO

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:
Still rather have Romo. His defense cost him the game against the Giants, not him. Eli didnt LEAD his team anywhere. He was the beneficiary of one of the most under rated defenses in football and a coach that was smart enough to take the game out of his hands. He made ONE good play in the super bowl. One. He was REALLY lucky on others, the fumble, the dropped INT by Samuel, the GREAT catch by Tyree.
You can legitimately say you want Romo.You can NOT legitimately say Eli did not lead his team anywhere. That is objectively and clearly wrong. Whether it is your fandom in your way or what I can't say - but watching the last month, the clutch play, Eli's calm in the huddle, and what everyone close to the team - objective reporters and non objective observers and teamates alike - will attest to how Eli was a true leader in this run.BTW, ONE good play in the SB? You are only hurting your credibility. The tyree TD was a perfect pass... there were many other passes similar to that (including Boss) that had to be thrown perfectly or an INT could have resulted. So, either you don't understand football, did not watch the playoffs, certainly did not watch (or understand what happened in) the Super Bowl, or for some reason you are biased so as not to see what was pretty damn apparant.That doesnt mean Eli will outperform Romo from here out... but to dismiss what Eli did during the past month is to ignore reality.One good play. :coffee: Please.
Its Romo and it is not even close in my view.Over two season Romo has proven to be a far more capable QB than Eli.He is also far more dangerous as a mobile QB...and doesn't fumble as much as Eli seems to. Romo has had two bad playoffs but he wasn't a disaster in those games. Romo is the best young QB in the league right. I find it far more likely that Romo repeats his overall states and passer rating from this year than Eli plays an entire season like he did in these 4 playoff games
That is at least a fair post to make. But to base anything anti-Eli on this postseason is where people seem to lose their sanity.FWIW, I think Romo showed some chinks in his armor - if you can get pressure on him (as is true with most / all QBs) he is not nearly the QB and he definately declined in play over the last third of the season. Was this just a blip or have defenses caught up a little to him is to be seen next year (and I know this first hand as I had Romo on my fantasy team, and the last few weeks sucked for the most part).Question for those who follow Romo closely - what is his resume re: late game comebacks?

FWIW, I think Romo showed some chinks in his armor - if you can get pressure on him (as is true with most / all QBs) he is not nearly the QB and he definately declined in play over the last third of the season. Was this just a blip or have defenses caught up a little to him is to be seen next year (and I know this first hand as I had Romo on my fantasy team, and the last few weeks sucked for the most part).
You think the chinks had to do with the fact that he was hurt and his #1 wr were out?

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:
Still rather have Romo. His defense cost him the game against the Giants, not him.

Eli didnt LEAD his team anywhere. He was the beneficiary of one of the most under rated defenses in football and a coach that was smart enough to take the game out of his hands.

He made ONE good play in the super bowl. One. He was REALLY lucky on others, the fumble, the dropped INT by Samuel, the GREAT catch by Tyree.
You can legitimately say you want Romo.You can NOT legitimately say Eli did not lead his team anywhere. That is objectively and clearly wrong.

Whether it is your fandom in your way or what I can't say - but watching the last month, the clutch play, Eli's calm in the huddle, and what everyone close to the team - objective reporters and non objective observers and teamates alike - will attest to how Eli was a true leader in this run.

BTW, ONE good play in the SB? You are only hurting your credibility. The tyree TD was a perfect pass... there were many other passes similar to that (including Boss) that had to be thrown perfectly or an INT could have resulted.

So, either you don't understand football, did not watch the playoffs, certainly did not watch (or understand what happened in) the Super Bowl, or for some reason you are biased so as not to see what was pretty damn apparant.

That doesnt mean Eli will outperform Romo from here out... but to dismiss what Eli did during the past month is to ignore reality.

One good play. :loco: Please.
Its Romo and it is not even close in my view.Over two season Romo has proven to be a far more capable QB than Eli.

He is also far more dangerous as a mobile QB...and doesn't fumble as much as Eli seems to. Romo has had two bad playoffs but he wasn't a disaster in those games.

Romo is the best young QB in the league right.

I find it far more likely that Romo repeats his overall states and passer rating from this year than Eli plays an entire season like he did in these 4 playoff games
Romo is a year older than Eli and Big Ben and 2 years younger than Brady and what has he accomplished? I will have to disagree with your statement.

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:
Still rather have Romo. His defense cost him the game against the Giants, not him.

Eli didnt LEAD his team anywhere. He was the beneficiary of one of the most under rated defenses in football and a coach that was smart enough to take the game out of his hands.

He made ONE good play in the super bowl. One. He was REALLY lucky on others, the fumble, the dropped INT by Samuel, the GREAT catch by Tyree.
You can legitimately say you want Romo.You can NOT legitimately say Eli did not lead his team anywhere. That is objectively and clearly wrong.

Whether it is your fandom in your way or what I can't say - but watching the last month, the clutch play, Eli's calm in the huddle, and what everyone close to the team - objective reporters and non objective observers and teamates alike - will attest to how Eli was a true leader in this run.

BTW, ONE good play in the SB? You are only hurting your credibility. The tyree TD was a perfect pass... there were many other passes similar to that (including Boss) that had to be thrown perfectly or an INT could have resulted.

So, either you don't understand football, did not watch the playoffs, certainly did not watch (or understand what happened in) the Super Bowl, or for some reason you are biased so as not to see what was pretty damn apparant.

That doesnt mean Eli will outperform Romo from here out... but to dismiss what Eli did during the past month is to ignore reality.

One good play. :unsure: Please.
Its Romo and it is not even close in my view.Over two season Romo has proven to be a far more capable QB than Eli.

He is also far more dangerous as a mobile QB...and doesn't fumble as much as Eli seems to. Romo has had two bad playoffs but he wasn't a disaster in those games.

I find it far more likely that Romo repeats his overall states and passer rating from this year than Eli plays an entire season like he did in these 4 playoff games
Romo is a year older than Eli and Big Ben and 2 years younger than Brady and what has he accomplished? I will have to disagree with your statement.
He's going into his 3rd year in the league. He's taken his team to the playoffs 2 years in a row and shown they he is a solid starting Qb week in and week out. I forgot that Big Ben is so youngEli has most certainly not shown this to be true

FWIW, I think Romo showed some chinks in his armor - if you can get pressure on him (as is true with most / all QBs) he is not nearly the QB and he definately declined in play over the last third of the season. Was this just a blip or have defenses caught up a little to him is to be seen next year (and I know this first hand as I had Romo on my fantasy team, and the last few weeks sucked for the most part).
You think the chinks had to do with the fact that he was hurt and his #1 wr were out?
I am talking about before then.

No question it's Eli. Ask coaches, and I bet we'd get an 80% vote that way.He has what Romo needs...an ability to handle pressure.
I think you are right about the NFL coaches ... every time I hear those in the know in the NFL talk about Manning they comment how well regarded he is as a QB talent ...

But Eli has something in his makeup, and he has proven that not only in the regular season, but in the postseason - the ability to find a way to win. To calmly lead his team down, sometimes more than once in the 4th quarter, to pull victory from defeat.This is not found in stat lines. It is not found in pretty throws or whomever the media darling is... but when you watch a game, you see a leader and a winning QB that has PROVEN he can win not only the big game, but the biggest game.When/if Romo and the others do that, they could surpass Eli... but right now I think people discount the intangibles involved in being a QB.
Didn't Eli lose in the playoffs in the first round in '05 and '06? Romo lost his 2 playoff games as well.
Yes. But Eli then lead his team to the SB and he was by far the best offensive player throughout that span.If Romo does the same, or even comes close, then it's a different discussion.As I noted, I dont think Eli will ever be in the mold of the uber productive QBs. He wont look pretty. He will have some very bad games when his accuracy is off (god knows Favre has had his share of AWFUL games and some consider him the greatest ever, although I do not at all). But when the game is on the line, Eli has a proven track record of getting his #### together and leading his team to wins... and this year he parlayed that ability into HUGE drives against the Cowboys (before the half when momentum was slipping away), against Green Bay (on a number of occasions, although his kicker didnt help the cause origionally) and in the Superbowl with two 80 yard drives to take the lead in the 4th.As the poster said above, Eli is BOTH the inconsistent guy that will have you wondering wtf is up, and ALSO the QB whom in crunch time just finds a way to get it done. I'd take that over 4000 yards and 30 TDs anyday.
can u remember more HUGE drives by manning before this playoffs ???

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:
You can legitimately say you want Romo.You can NOT legitimately say Eli did not lead his team anywhere. That is objectively and clearly wrong. Whether it is your fandom in your way or what I can't say - but watching the last month, the clutch play, Eli's calm in the huddle, and what everyone close to the team - objective reporters and non objective observers and teamates alike - will attest to how Eli was a true leader in this run.BTW, ONE good play in the SB? You are only hurting your credibility. The tyree TD was a perfect pass... there were many other passes similar to that (including Boss) that had to be thrown perfectly or an INT could have resulted. So, either you don't understand football, did not watch the playoffs, certainly did not watch (or understand what happened in) the Super Bowl, or for some reason you are biased so as not to see what was pretty damn apparant.That doesnt mean Eli will outperform Romo from here out... but to dismiss what Eli did during the past month is to ignore reality.One good play. :unsure: Please.
That is at least a fair post to make. But to base anything anti-Eli on this postseason is where people seem to lose their sanity.FWIW, I think Romo showed some chinks in his armor - if you can get pressure on him (as is true with most / all QBs) he is not nearly the QB and he definately declined in play over the last third of the season. Was this just a blip or have defenses caught up a little to him is to be seen next year (and I know this first hand as I had Romo on my fantasy team, and the last few weeks sucked for the most part).Question for those who follow Romo closely - what is his resume re: late game comebacks?
I'm pretty sure he has had multiple ones. In fact I would argue that 99% of cowboys fans were convinced that Romo was going to take them down and score against the Giants. It was a shock that they didn't.Romo's biggest weakness is he tends to think he can get out of any situation no matter how tough with his feet. He really needs to just throw the ball away more often

But Eli has something in his makeup, and he has proven that not only in the regular season, but in the postseason - the ability to find a way to win. To calmly lead his team down, sometimes more than once in the 4th quarter, to pull victory from defeat.This is not found in stat lines. It is not found in pretty throws or whomever the media darling is... but when you watch a game, you see a leader and a winning QB that has PROVEN he can win not only the big game, but the biggest game.When/if Romo and the others do that, they could surpass Eli... but right now I think people discount the intangibles involved in being a QB.
Didn't Eli lose in the playoffs in the first round in '05 and '06? Romo lost his 2 playoff games as well.
Yes. But Eli then lead his team to the SB and he was by far the best offensive player throughout that span.If Romo does the same, or even comes close, then it's a different discussion.As I noted, I dont think Eli will ever be in the mold of the uber productive QBs. He wont look pretty. He will have some very bad games when his accuracy is off (god knows Favre has had his share of AWFUL games and some consider him the greatest ever, although I do not at all). But when the game is on the line, Eli has a proven track record of getting his #### together and leading his team to wins... and this year he parlayed that ability into HUGE drives against the Cowboys (before the half when momentum was slipping away), against Green Bay (on a number of occasions, although his kicker didnt help the cause origionally) and in the Superbowl with two 80 yard drives to take the lead in the 4th.As the poster said above, Eli is BOTH the inconsistent guy that will have you wondering wtf is up, and ALSO the QB whom in crunch time just finds a way to get it done. I'd take that over 4000 yards and 30 TDs anyday.
Yes..but can u remember how awful Eli has been for the last 3 years minus those 4 games? Whats the bigger sample size????

No question it's Eli. Ask coaches, and I bet we'd get an 80% vote that way.He has what Romo needs...an ability to handle pressure.
I think you are right about the NFL coaches ... every time I hear those in the know in the NFL talk about Manning they comment how well regarded he is as a QB talent ...
$50 says Romo has better stats, a higher passer rating, less turnovers, next year as a QB compared to Manning.

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:

One good play. :thumbup: Please.

He's going into his 3rd year in the league. He's taken his team to the playoffs 2 years in a row and shown they he is a solid starting Qb week in and week out. I forgot that Big Ben is so youngEli has most certainly not shown this to be true
How are QB ratings of 22.2, 81.2, 34.9, and 64.7, as your team is losing 3 of 4 down the stretch and flopping out of the playoffs getting it done week in and week out?One of these two just won 3 straight road playoff games and the Super Bowl. The other hasn't won a playoff game. I can see an argument for Romo, but the idea that it isn't close is ridiculous.

For the record, I would take Eli.

$50 says Romo has better stats, a higher passer rating, less turnovers, next year as a QB compared to Manning.
QB play is not about stats. It's about finding a way to win.I need to talk on a messageboard that is not so fantasy related - posters here can't get their eyes off the numbers. There is one number that trumps ALL other - Wins.I will take worse states, a lower rating and more turnovers with the confidence that in crunch time, when you need it most, my QB will not only do ok, but will find a way to win - over and over. Eli has not done this a couple times... it has been a mark of his early albeit inconsistent career and was a trademark during these playoffs.

Yes..but can u remember how awful Eli has been for the last 3 years minus those 4 games? Whats the bigger sample size????
last 3 years... that's why i would pick Romo and the NYG Defense

QB play is not about stats. It's about finding a way to win.I need to talk on a messageboard that is not so fantasy related - posters here can't get their eyes off the numbers. There is one number that trumps ALL other - Wins.I will take worse states, a lower rating and more turnovers with the confidence that in crunch time, when you need it most, my QB will not only do ok, but will find a way to win - over and over. Eli has not done this a couple times... it has been a mark of his early albeit inconsistent career and was a trademark during these playoffs.
winnig as a lot more to do with the team than just the QB its not like Eli has had great games and wasnt saved by his teammates time and again

Eli has not been awful during those three years. He has been inconsistent but has shown repeated flashes of what finally culminated in a playoff run to a SB win.Eli has never missed the playoffs as the teams starting QB and he has had some amazing wins during that time. Where does anyone come off calling him awful, unless the reality of the situation is less important than perception on messageboards?

I am talking about before then.
Well in the 6 games prior to him getting hurt his #'s were...Phi 20-20-324-3-1NYG 20-28-247-4-1Was 22-32-293-4-1NYJ 21-28-195-2-1GB 19-30-309-4-1Det 35-44-302-2-0So his avg over that span was 23-31 (74%) 291 - 3.16 tds - .83 ints (not bad) compared to Eli over the same span...113-202 (55%) 210 - .83 tds - 1.33 ints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Koya said:
Texasmouth said:

One good play. :tinfoilhat: Please.

How are QB ratings of 22.2, 81.2, 34.9, and 64.7, as your team is losing 3 of 4 down the stretch and flopping out of the playoffs getting it done week in and week out?One of these two just won 3 straight road playoff games and the Super Bowl. The other hasn't won a playoff game. I can see an argument for Romo, but the idea that it isn't close is ridiculous.

2007Romo ranked #1 in the NFC and # 5 overall---Eli was ranked #12 in NFc and #25 overall in NFL

1 Tony Romo QB, DAL 335 520 64.4 4211 8.10 59 36 6.9 19 3.7 24.0 176 97.4

12 E. Manning QB, NYG 297 529 56.1 3336 6.31 60 23 4.3 20 3.8 27.0 217 73.9

Eli was behind Joey Harrington, Brian Griese, Jason Campbell, and Drew Brees

2006- Romo's rookie year he's ranked #3 in NFC and #5 overall

3 Tony Romo QB, DAL 220 337 65.3 2903 8.61 56 19 5.6 13 3.9 21.0 124 95.1

8 E. Manning QB, NYG 301 522 57.7 3244 6.22 55 24 4.6 18 3.4 25.0 186 77.0

Manning behind Mark Brunell and Jon Kitna in NFC and ranked # 18 overall in NFL

but post season obv defines how good a QB is whiich why Tom Brady is the greatest Qb in the universe

Eli has not been awful during those three years. He has been inconsistent but has shown repeated flashes of what finally culminated in a playoff run to a SB win.Eli has never missed the playoffs as the teams starting QB and he has had some amazing wins during that time. Where does anyone come off calling him awful, unless the reality of the situation is less important than perception on messageboards?
you realize eli was 25th in the league in QB passing rating right? (Minus the playoffs) this was Eli's worst year in terms of passing rating

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:

One good play. :confused: Please.

2007Romo ranked #1 in the NFC and # 5 overall---Eli was ranked #12 in NFc and #25 overall in NFL

1 Tony Romo QB, DAL 335 520 64.4 4211 8.10 59 36 6.9 19 3.7 24.0 176 97.4

12 E. Manning QB, NYG 297 529 56.1 3336 6.31 60 23 4.3 20 3.8 27.0 217 73.9

Eli was behind Joey Harrington, Brian Griese, Jason Campbell, and Drew Brees

2006- Romo's rookie year he's ranked #3 in NFC and #5 overall

3 Tony Romo QB, DAL 220 337 65.3 2903 8.61 56 19 5.6 13 3.9 21.0 124 95.1

8 E. Manning QB, NYG 301 522 57.7 3244 6.22 55 24 4.6 18 3.4 25.0 186 77.0

Manning behind Mark Brunell and Jon Kitna in NFC and ranked # 18 overall in NFL

but post season obv defines how good a QB is whiich why Tom Brady is the greatest Qb in the universe
:kicksrock: Stats don't win championships. I'm pretty sure Tom Brady would trade in all those passing records he set this year for a win last Sunday. Eli came up big when it counted most, and, to date, Romo hasn't. Not saying that he can't or won't, but right now only one of them has proved that he can.

you simply can't argue that Manning was impressive as virtually an error-free QB the final few games of the regular season and throughout the playoffs

overall though I am still not impressed with him (he's simply not exciting to watch *most of the time*) and he will forever be in the shadow of his big brother

but if you are comparing Romo and Eli, I truly believe that Romo will prove to be a better QB overall

<note to self> check this thread in 3 years

you realize eli was 25th in the league in QB passing rating right? (Minus the playoffs) this was Eli's worst year in terms of passing rating
Yes. You realize the most important stat for a QB is wins, right?And something that so many are ignoring that I brought up ages ago in this very thread: There is a LOT to be said for a QB who can handle the pressure, week after week and win not one, not two in this case not even three big do or die games... but a Super Bowl. While Romo has the stats and the flair and the love of fans, he has yet to prove that he can win a Super Bowl. That is not to say he can't, but he has not shown that he can.Eli HAS shown that, and he was the teams MVP during the Super Bowl run. I will take that reality, and the proof that its possible under a specific QB over stats.

Yes. You realize the most important stat for a QB is wins, right?And something that so many are ignoring that I brought up ages ago in this very thread: There is a LOT to be said for a QB who can handle the pressure, week after week and win not one, not two in this case not even three big do or die games... but a Super Bowl. While Romo has the stats and the flair and the love of fans, he has yet to prove that he can win a Super Bowl. That is not to say he can't, but he has not shown that he can.Eli HAS shown that, and he was the teams MVP during the Super Bowl run. I will take that reality, and the proof that its possible under a specific QB over stats.
the DLine was the MVP

the DLine was the MVP
:rant: :hifive: Eli was the default MVP, no single player on the Giants team stood out, it was a TEAM win"If you can't find a stand out, hand the MVP to the winning QB" rule was in effect :)

OK, if a good QB is measured by wins, which QB has the highest pro career winning percentage???

I'm guessing Romo and I don't have the time to check.

As a Bears fan I would rather have Eli as my QB of the future than I would Romo.

On my fantasy team, Romo in a heartbeat.

:penalty: :wub: Eli was the default MVP, no single player on the Giants team stood out, it was a TEAM win"If you can't find a stand out, hand the MVP to the winning QB" rule was in effect :rolleyes:
First, yes, the DL was the best unit. That said, MVP is an individual prize and while Eli was clearly the team MVP throughout the playoffs, I definately would give it to the DL in the Super Bowl if that were possible.But no SINGLE player was as responsible for the win as Eli, even in the Superbowl. Once again, only he and Joe Montana have had two go ahead TDs in the fourth quarter. Eli led that team to two 80+ yard TOUCHDOWN drives to win the game. While he had a few bad throws, his one INT was not his fault at all.Eli was not an unquestioned MVP, but he was certainly the guy most worth it since you have to give it to one player.In terms of winning percentage, there is something to be said for a player who leads his team through four games away from home, underdog in every game only to win the Super Bowl at the end of that journey. I can't believe how people discount that and I think if it were not Eli "the guy people love to hate" Manning, he would be getting the credit a QB deserves for being a teams playoff MVP.

ahh yes the Vince Young defenition of QB greatnessin other news...Derek Jeter is one of the best defensive SS in the leaguewhy wasn't he able to handle the pressur ein the other 40 something games he was in.

:wub: :shrug: Eli was the default MVP, no single player on the Giants team stood out, it was a TEAM win"If you can't find a stand out, hand the MVP to the winning QB" rule was in effect :rolleyes:
First, yes, the DL was the best unit. That said, MVP is an individual prize and while Eli was clearly the team MVP throughout the playoffs, I definately would give it to the DL in the Super Bowl if that were possible.But no SINGLE player was as responsible for the win as Eli, even in the Superbowl. Once again, only he and Joe Montana have had two go ahead TDs in the fourth quarter. Eli led that team to two 80+ yard TOUCHDOWN drives to win the game. While he had a few bad throws, his one INT was not his fault at all.Eli was not an unquestioned MVP, but he was certainly the guy most worth it since you have to give it to one player.In terms of winning percentage, there is something to be said for a player who leads his team through four games away from home, underdog in every game only to win the Super Bowl at the end of that journey. I can't believe how people discount that and I think if it were not Eli "the guy people love to hate" Manning, he would be getting the credit a QB deserves for being a teams playoff MVP.
Yes but 4 games does not make a great QB or even a very good QB.If Eli keeps it up for a season ala Romo,Brady,Peyton, etc then you can include him with those groups. But short of that Eli played great in those 4 games and looked like the QB everyone hoped he would be. But he needs to actually not suck over the course of a season to be considered a very good QB

:goodposting: :lol:

Eli was the default MVP, no single player on the Giants team stood out, it was a TEAM win

"If you can't find a stand out, hand the MVP to the winning QB" rule was in effect :rolleyes:
First, yes, the DL was the best unit. That said, MVP is an individual prize and while Eli was clearly the team MVP throughout the playoffs, I definately would give it to the DL in the Super Bowl if that were possible.But no SINGLE player was as responsible for the win as Eli, even in the Superbowl. Once again, only he and Joe Montana have had two go ahead TDs in the fourth quarter. Eli led that team to two 80+ yard TOUCHDOWN drives to win the game. While he had a few bad throws, his one INT was not his fault at all.

Eli was not an unquestioned MVP, but he was certainly the guy most worth it since you have to give it to one player.

In terms of winning percentage, there is something to be said for a player who leads his team through four games away from home, underdog in every game only to win the Super Bowl at the end of that journey. I can't believe how people discount that and I think if it were not Eli "the guy people love to hate" Manning, he would be getting the credit a QB deserves for being a teams playoff MVP.
Yes but 4 games does not make a great QB or even a very good QB.If Eli keeps it up for a season ala Romo,Brady,Peyton, etc then you can include him with those groups. But short of that Eli played great in those 4 games and looked like the QB everyone hoped he would be. But he needs to actually not suck over the course of a season to be considered a very good QB
:lmao: Seriously?

ahh yes the Vince Young defenition of QB greatnessin other news...Derek Jeter is one of the best defensive SS in the leaguewhy wasn't he able to handle the pressur ein the other 40 something games he was in.
Huh? Please show me a stretch in Vince Youngs NFL career that lead a team to a super bowl in large part because of his work?And I never claimed Eli is a great QB. But he does have an uncanny ability early on in his career for some great comebacks, and now take that and add great post season run with some very long, pivotal, QB dependent drives as major reasons for wins during that run.

Romo.His thumb was still in bad shape for the playoff game.He has more upside.Eli is a good, solid QB, but that's about it.
Romo has more upside - what have you been smoking. Lets face it the Manning brothers were groomed to be starting QBs. It is no accident that they are both SB MVPs in back to back years. Its in their genetics and upbringing. Romo is too short and too much of a risk taker....8 years from now, us Giants fans will be laughing about "that guy that used to QB the Cowboys that Parcells groomed".I love all the Cowboy fans that used to laugh at Eli...

I like Romo over Eli slightly if we are talking NFL.I like Romo over Eli by a wide margin if we are talking fantasy.Romo may have not won the superbowl this year but overall I think he has been more consistently good since being a starter.
If TO is healthy this thread doesn't exist. If Dallas's line didn't collapse against the Giants pass rush in the 2nd half this thread doesn't exist. If Favre doesn't throw an INT in OT and they kick a FG this thread doesn't exist.
If my dog had legs and boobs he would be hot?????

if Samuel hangs onto that ball on their last drive the Eli sucks posts would be on this board in droves. The giants got all the bounces to go their way and their defense played incredible. They deserved to win but I'd still take romo any day of the week. Eli manages games the giants win. Romo WINS the games that Dallas wins. He's more of an integral part of the teams overall success than Eli was/is for the giants.
Wrongo...Lets see where Romo is in the second year of Wade Phillips. Nobody realizes, especially Dallas fans, that Parcells made this charade and he will be nothing in the years to come.

Eli was virtually mistake free during their hot streak, but his passing numbers (other than INT's) were merely average. Romo set team records this year.ROMO
PLEASE - can anybody look at Romo's numbers the past two years in December. Yes, that would be crunch timeThe only bright spot over the last 2 Decembers has been Detroit.

Romo is an idiot... he seriously is going to burn out, unless he puts his head on right and stops thinking he's arrived. Manning comes from a serious family. A football family... that seems to be good about acting like they've been there before and they know where they are going.

Romo's superbowl is trotting around with Jessica. As a Cowboy fan I'm not bitter about the loss. I just think there are many chinks in the armor. I think its a joke that he received the contract he got... when he hasn't done anything ala Tom Brady, Brett Favre..

Jeez.. he puts up an Erik Kramer high light reel and dallas is ready to go crazy. The team is good... no doubt.. he's just a piece of the puzzle. One I'm VERY dissapointed with.

Koya said:
Texasmouth said:

One good play. ;) Please.

Bryan...buddie. You are embarrassing yourself. First of all, your name is Brian. Secondly, Eli made the Playoffs 3 years in a row!!!! AND HE BEAT ROMO HEAD TO HEAD in the playoffs. Now, if Romo had the magic all you boys fans are hoping for, that last pass to Glenn...yes, Glenn...what a fabulous coaching decision to not throw to TO. And lastly, Eli won a SUPER BOWL. Please...look at Romo's December stats over the last two years. They are terrible

Eli was virtually mistake free during their hot streak, but his passing numbers (other than INT's) were merely average. Romo set team records this year.ROMO
PLEASE - can anybody look at Romo's numbers the past two years in December. Yes, that would be crunch timeThe only bright spot over the last 2 Decembers has been Detroit.
Lol I'm sure most of you guys would prefer Derek Jeter over Alex Rodriguez cuz he's "Mr. Clutch"Again never argued that Eli is a bad QB simply he is not consistent and you can't say 4 games means he is going to be elite or great. Yes he occasionally made big clutch drives prior to the playoffs this year..but so did freaking Jake Plummer.Eli was money in the playoffs this year. But you can't base a QB off of one playoff series...same goes for Brady, Peyton, Farve, Romo etc.If Eli comes out and is a Top 10 QB in the league next year and Top 3 in the NFC then you can honestly say that something "changed" after that Week 17 game. But if he goes back to the Eli of the past 3 years...people will wonder what the hell happened and why can't he play like he did in the playoffs last year.Based on the stats that are available. It is far more likely that he reverts back to form then he stays at the level he just recently showed.Eli has played 4 seasonsRomo has played 2Romo in just 2 years has a career QB rating of 95.5Eli's is 73.3 over 4 years and actually got worse in his 4th yearCareer Completion %Romo 64Eli 54Romo will be the better QB longterm ---- but Eli will play on the better team given the D's age and esp if they continue to be a run first team with Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ward.

I wonder if anyone argued so hard for Trent Dilfer when he won a Super bowl like some are for Eli...so winning a superbowl and actually being a consistant QB for 3 games gets you crowned Denny Green style now? :moneybag:

Im not trying to hate but really....too small and inconsistent a sample size for both guys to be ranking them as high as some folks are ranking them.

I wonder if anyone argued so hard for Trent Dilfer when he won a Super bowl like some are for Eli...so winning a superbowl and actually being a consistant QB for 3 games gets you crowned Denny Green style now? :thumbup: Im not trying to hate but really....too small and inconsistent a sample size for both guys to be ranking them as high as some folks are ranking them.
I dont get the comparisons to Dilfer, Dilfer played on a run first - play huge defense. Throw for 135 yards and try not to get picked off. Eli is in a balanced offense, you can argue a pass-first offense. And he has played for 3 - 1/2 years for those counting

Lol I'm sure most of you guys would prefer Derek Jeter over Alex Rodriguez cuz he's "Mr. Clutch"Again never argued that Eli is a bad QB simply he is not consistent and you can't say 4 games means he is going to be elite or great. Yes he occasionally made big clutch drives prior to the playoffs this year..but so did freaking Jake Plummer.Eli was money in the playoffs this year. But you can't base a QB off of one playoff series...same goes for Brady, Peyton, Farve, Romo etc.If Eli comes out and is a Top 10 QB in the league next year and Top 3 in the NFC then you can honestly say that something "changed" after that Week 17 game. But if he goes back to the Eli of the past 3 years...people will wonder what the hell happened and why can't he play like he did in the playoffs last year.Based on the stats that are available. It is far more likely that he reverts back to form then he stays at the level he just recently showed.Eli has played 4 seasonsRomo has played 2Romo in just 2 years has a career QB rating of 95.5Eli's is 73.3 over 4 years and actually got worse in his 4th yearCareer Completion %Romo 64Eli 54Romo will be the better QB longterm ---- but Eli will play on the better team given the D's age and esp if they continue to be a run first team with Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ward.
You wont judge Eli on the sample size of 4 playoff games - even though he had many other great, not good but great games over 3.5 years...but out of the other side of your mouth we are supposed to judge Romo off of a year and a half of games and 2 horrible Decembers and two choke filled playoff games.Stop it - you are embarrassing yourself

I wonder if anyone argued so hard for Trent Dilfer when he won a Super bowl like some are for Eli...so winning a superbowl and actually being a consistant QB for 3 games gets you crowned Denny Green style now? :thumbup: Im not trying to hate but really....too small and inconsistent a sample size for both guys to be ranking them as high as some folks are ranking them.
I dont get the comparisons to Dilfer, Dilfer played on a run first - play huge defense. Throw for 135 yards and try not to get picked off. Eli is in a balanced offense, you can argue a pass-first offense. And he has played for 3 - 1/2 years for those counting
The Dilfer comparison is more about a players stock going up because of a SB win, not a direct contrast of playing styles. Just because a guy gets hot for 3 to 4 games should not suddenly make him elite. Some of the comments about how great Eli is compared to his peers seems immature. He needs to prove it consistently.

Franchise Playa said:
I wonder if anyone argued so hard for Trent Dilfer when he won a Super bowl like some are for Eli...so winning a superbowl and actually being a consistant QB for 3 games gets you crowned Denny Green style now? :confused: Im not trying to hate but really....too small and inconsistent a sample size for both guys to be ranking them as high as some folks are ranking them.
I thought the same thing, Dilfer won a super bowl and many may have said the Ravens won "in spite of" Dilfer. The same argument could be made for Eli, though not as strongly.Until this last streak of games by Eli, most Giants fans I know lived in the fear of "oh no! what is Eli going to do to screw this game up". This recent streak may be a sign that he is moving beyond the point of the QB who makes everyone cringe when he drops back to pass. That would be good for the league and the NYG's. Don't forget folks, just before Eli's "great escape"/helmet catch by Tyree, there was an ill-advised floating pass that was very close to being intercepted on the sidelines by the PATS.Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Elisha, but let's not pretend he is flawless just because he won a super bowl! It obviously does not take a QB "great" to win a SB, see earlier Dilfer reference.

Users who are viewing this thread