What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli or Romo, who would you rather have now? (1 Viewer)

Maroney=Speed

Footballguy
Not sure even Giant fans agree with me.

But can't help that.

Now what do you say?

Yes, I said Eli four weeks ago. I still beleive I'm correct.

What says You?

EI would take Eli over Romo. Eli seems to really have grown the last half of the season. Thee is no way Romo could have went on the road and won 4 straight playoff games. Romo still seems a bit skittish in big games.

Last edited by a moderator:
No question it's Eli. Ask coaches, and I bet we'd get an 80% vote that way.

He has what Romo needs...an ability to handle pressure.

Not sure even Giant fans agree with me.But can't help that.Now what do you say?Yes, I said Eli four weeks ago. I still beleive I'm correct. What says You?
Romo everyday of the week.
Except Playoff days. :confused: Giant fan?
Damn, so you're always this obnoxious?I'd take Romo. Eli is a solid QB, but Romo is more of a play maker.
Yep, I said this weeks ago. Now more will agree.It's the way it is. But Romo has more weapons and still lost.To Eli's Giants. Eli's only INT in playoffs was a dropped pass.Eli is the pick over Romo.Put TO on the Giants.

Romo.

His thumb was still in bad shape for the playoff game.

He has more upside.

Eli is a good, solid QB, but that's about it.

I love the microwave mentality of most FF'ers. Two good weeks a guy is great, 2 bad weeks they suck.

Look at Eli's week 12-16 THIS YEAR....

12 Min 21-49-273-1-4 33.8 rating

13 @ Chi 16-27-195-1-2 63 rating

14 @ Phi 17-31-219-1-0 88 rating

15 Was 18-52-184-1-0 52.1 rating

16 @ Buf 7-15-111-0-2 32 rating

Then he and the Giants, specifically their defense got on a roll and started to peak.

Manning's #'s for the year 3336 23-20 73.9 rating (good for 25th). The Eli over reaction is waayyy overboard. He's a fine QB but not top 10.

No question it's Eli. Ask coaches, and I bet we'd get an 80% vote that way.He has what Romo needs...an ability to handle pressure.
That is so funny because that's always been Eli's perceived problem. Half way through this year his own GM called him skittish. It's amazing how different players are perceived when their line solidifies and picks up blitz's.

I love the microwave mentality of most FF'ers. Two good weeks a guy is great, 2 bad weeks they suck.Look at Eli's week 12-16 THIS YEAR....12 Min 21-49-273-1-4 33.8 rating13 @ Chi 16-27-195-1-2 63 rating 14 @ Phi 17-31-219-1-0 88 rating15 Was 18-52-184-1-0 52.1 rating16 @ Buf 7-15-111-0-2 32 ratingThen he and the Giants, specifically their defense got on a roll and started to peak. Manning's #'s for the year 3336 23-20 73.9 rating (good for 25th). The Eli over reaction is waayyy overboard. He's a fine QB but not top 10.
Fantasy wise Romo. Real life yes Eli.Manning is a winner. Romo may be, but He's not yet. So the answer is Eli. Giant fan?

In fantasy or the NFL? The answer to either is Romo, but in fantasy he runs away with it. Romo has to win his games on his back. Eli had that defense which makes his job possible. If the Giants had to play shootout with NE, Eli would have had a very long day.

Not sure even Giant fans agree with me.But can't help that.Now what do you say?Yes, I said Eli four weeks ago. I still beleive I'm correct. What says You?
Fantasy = RomoReality = Eli
Ok, we agree on something.Dude where will you be today.I'm already in City, I need to get drunk. :thumbup:
I'll be at City Hall by 1 today. Should be nuts.
Yep, took off today. Anyways. :cry: I have to wear a Shockey's jersey, that was my only bet.So not too bad. It was either Shockey or Plax. jersey. Easy choice. :D

Except Playoff days. :thumbup: Giant fan?
Damn, so you're always this obnoxious?I'd take Romo. Eli is a solid QB, but Romo is more of a play maker.
Yep, I said this weeks ago. Now more will agree.It's the way it is. But Romo has more weapons and still lost.To Eli's Giants. Eli's only INT in playoffs was a dropped pass.Eli is the pick over Romo.Put TO on the Giants.
So by your theory Eli is better then Brady because clearly Brady has more weapons. Romo's defense, OL, and Crayton let him down Vs/ the Giants. Could he have played better? Sure. He played better this year then the year before. I suspect he plays even better this upcoming year.

I love the microwave mentality of most FF'ers. Two good weeks a guy is great, 2 bad weeks they suck.Look at Eli's week 12-16 THIS YEAR....12 Min 21-49-273-1-4 33.8 rating13 @ Chi 16-27-195-1-2 63 rating 14 @ Phi 17-31-219-1-0 88 rating15 Was 18-52-184-1-0 52.1 rating16 @ Buf 7-15-111-0-2 32 ratingThen he and the Giants, specifically their defense got on a roll and started to peak. Manning's #'s for the year 3336 23-20 73.9 rating (good for 25th). The Eli over reaction is waayyy overboard. He's a fine QB but not top 10.
Fantasy wise Romo. Real life yes Eli.Manning is a winner. Romo may be, but He's not yet. So the answer is Eli. Giant fan?
No, I'm still not a Giant fan. So if Brady completes the 80 yard bomb to Moss, is Romo the right answer? If Favre doesn't throw an INT in OT and goes down and scores, is Romo the right answer?

Except Playoff days. :excited: Giant fan?
So by your theory Eli is better then Brady because clearly Brady has more weapons. Romo's defense, OL, and Crayton let him down Vs/ the Giants. Could he have played better? Sure. He played better this year then the year before. I suspect he plays even better this upcoming year.
Yep, Brady was always loaded with weapons at wr.Branch,Troy Brown. Dude NO. But do know you facts.

Ok, we agree on something.Dude where will you be today.I'm already in City, I need to get drunk. :excited:
Yep, took off today. Anyways. :cry: I have to wear a Shockey's jersey, that was my only bet.So not too bad. It was either Shockey or Plax. jersey. Easy choice. :D
I'll look for the Shockey jersey.

I like Romo over Eli slightly if we are talking NFL.

I like Romo over Eli by a wide margin if we are talking fantasy.

Romo may have not won the superbowl this year but overall I think he has been more consistently good since being a starter.

No, I'm still not a Giant fan. So if Brady completes the 80 yard bomb to Moss, is Romo the right answer? If Favre doesn't throw an INT in OT and goes down and scores, is Romo the right answer?
NO,NO,that was the right read and a good throw by Favre. :excited: Dude look back I said this weeks ago. It's just knowing the game.Little things like that. :cry:

I like Romo over Eli slightly if we are talking NFL.I like Romo over Eli by a wide margin if we are talking fantasy.Romo may have not won the superbowl this year but overall I think he has been more consistently good since being a starter.
If TO is healthy this thread doesn't exist. If Dallas's line didn't collapse against the Giants pass rush in the 2nd half this thread doesn't exist. If Favre doesn't throw an INT in OT and they kick a FG this thread doesn't exist.

Ok, we agree on something.Dude where will you be today.I'm already in City, I need to get drunk. :cry:
Yep, took off today. Anyways. :D I have to wear a Shockey's jersey, that was my only bet.So not too bad. It was either Shockey or Plax. jersey. Easy choice. :yes:
My friends will have on Plax. and S.Smith jersey.3 guys over 6 feet, wont be hard to find us.Friend said I will also have a banner, 'NE sucks' :excited:

But can't help that.

Now what do you say?

What says You?
Ok, we agree on something.Dude where will you be today.

I'm already in City, I need to get drunk. :suds:
Yep, took off today. Anyways. :cry: I have to wear a Shockey's jersey, that was my only bet.

So not too bad. It was either Shockey or Plax. jersey. Easy choice. :D
My friends will have on Plax. and S.Smith jersey.3 guys over 6 feet, wont be hard to find us.

Friend said I will also have a banner, 'NE sucks' :thumbdown:
:lmao:

Except Playoff days. :thumbdown: Giant fan?
Yep, Brady was always loaded with weapons at wr.Branch,Troy Brown. Dude NO. But do know you facts.
No, but Brady did have better defenses then both Romo and Eli in his other super Bowl runs. You act as if Manning doesn't have weapons. Plax, Shockey (Or Boss if you prefer) Toomer has had a rough year dropping a lot of balls but he's a very good veteran. In fact I would even argue that Romo and Eli have roughly equal talent on O.J.Jones, M. Barber = Jacobs/Ward/BradshawOwens > Plax (But Plax has better hands by far)Crayton < ToomerWitten > Shockey or Boss

Owens > Plax (But Plax has better hands by far)
Damning praise, that. :rolleyes: That's probably the one and only time anyone will EVER accuse Burress of having "better hands" than *insert player name here*.You're right, though....but then a cardboard box on wheels probably has better hands than TO. Or at least comparable. Throw to the box(or TO) enough and eventually you'll get a couple balls to stay "in the basket."

Two weeks is one thing. Being the team's MVP for a four week playoff run is another thing altogether.You talk about FF'ers, there has been so much uncalled for Eli hate over the past few years, that far overcompensates for over reacting over the past month.Fantasy I take Romo. Real life, it's now Eli. Eli has PROVEN that he can not only play in the playoffs, but he can play well. Eli was as much a reason as the defense for winning this Super Bowl. Very few mistakes, some great throws, some fantastic clutch play and the ability to handle pressure - figuratively and literally.Romo might be more exciting to watch, but he has not proven himself a true winner yet.

I like Romo over Eli slightly if we are talking NFL.I like Romo over Eli by a wide margin if we are talking fantasy.Romo may have not won the superbowl this year but overall I think he has been more consistently good since being a starter.
If TO is healthy this thread doesn't exist. If Dallas's line didn't collapse against the Giants pass rush in the 2nd half this thread doesn't exist. If Favre doesn't throw an INT in OT and they kick a FG this thread doesn't exist.
First, TO was very close to 100% in that game. Sour grapes? The cowboys lost. Its our super bowl. Make excuses next year.Second, Dallas line collapsed because the Giants D stepped up and was dominating. If Tynes didnt choke on two kicks, you would have Favre with any chance at all in OT.Love people's selective memories here. What it comes down to, is scoreboard and trophy. We have it. All y'all don't. You can try next year.

This is the right answer.FWIW, I have posted all season that guys like Ben R, Romo and Eli are all in the same bucket or Tier. To me, there's very little difference in their play if you evaluate them.I think with what we saw in the playoffs this season, you now have to give the edge to Eli Manning. Now, I may believe Tony Romo has that in him, but if you're being objective, you give the edge to Eli even if I do believe Romo has the ability to lead a team to the SB.BTW, a better question is really who would you rather have:Ben Rothlesberger or Eli ManningBoth are young, both came out of the same draft and both have 1 SB ring. The Tony Romo thing is really just to stir up the Cowboy fans IMO......but we have a thick skin and it'll take better bait to get us to bite.

I say wait until next year when the Giants get every teams "best game" because they know they are playing against the SB champs and will step up their game...that's when we will see how good Eli really is.The correct answer here is Big Ben without a doubt...you guys can have Eli I'll take the real athlete...

This is the right answer.FWIW, I have posted all season that guys like Ben R, Romo and Eli are all in the same bucket or Tier. To me, there's very little difference in their play if you evaluate them.I think with what we saw in the playoffs this season, you now have to give the edge to Eli Manning. Now, I may believe Tony Romo has that in him, but if you're being objective, you give the edge to Eli even if I do believe Romo has the ability to lead a team to the SB.BTW, a better question is really who would you rather have:Ben Rothlesberger or Eli ManningBoth are young, both came out of the same draft and both have 1 SB ring. The Tony Romo thing is really just to stir up the Cowboy fans IMO......but we have a thick skin and it'll take better bait to get us to bite.
Ive soured a bit on Roeths, but it's close. Close enough that my Giants-fandom will not let me take Roeths over Eli although I can absolutely see a rationale for it. The fact is, both Roeths and Romo should put up better career numbers, but Eli has that something special in terms of coming from behind and just winning the game. Something overlooked in these circles especially since FF is just numbers based, and the postseason doesnt mean a thing.

But can't help that.

Now what do you say?

What says You?
I say wait until next year when the Giants get every teams "best game" because they know they are playing against the SB champs and will step up their game...that's when we will see how good Eli really is.Right now I take Romo and it's not even close.
This I dont get. How can it "not even be close" when Eli has PROVEN he can be an integral player on a Super Bowl winning team? That is not to say Romo cant, but he certainly has not shown that he can while Eli has. And don't give me Dilfer who was there to not screw up on a team with one of the top 5 defenses ever and a fantastic running game to complement that defense... Dilfer was a caretaker while Eli was a leader and key playmaker - on a Super Bowl winning team!How that carries no weight I dont know.

First, TO was very close to 100% in that game. Sour grapes? The cowboys lost. Its our super bowl. Make excuses next year.Second, Dallas line collapsed because the Giants D stepped up and was dominating. If Tynes didnt choke on two kicks, you would have Favre with any chance at all in OT.Love people's selective memories here. What it comes down to, is scoreboard and trophy. We have it. All y'all don't. You can try next year.
I have no horse in this race. I was rooting for the Giants big time and am absolutely thrilled that they won the game. The fact that he had a good 4 game run does not change his body of work over his career. Take a look at his 6 games before this run. His own GM was calling him skittish in the papers. Yes he played well, the defense played unreal, their line was unreal, Bradshaw played great, Steve Smith played well, Boss played well, Plax was excellent, their special teams were great. If one of these ingredients was lacking Manning isn't on the podium. They won as a TEAM and the fact that their TEAM won doesn't all the sudden make Manning a great QB. If somehow Brady completes that 80 yard bomb and the Pats go onto to score and win the game, does that make Manning less of a QB? The fact that the defense made a good play and knocked it down, and the Giants win, that makes Manning a better QB since they won?I was on the other side of this argument several years ago when his older brother couldn't "win the big one". I argued that he was a great QB despite not winning "the big one". We see how that worked out...

But can't help that.

Now what do you say?

What says You?
I say wait until next year when the Giants get every teams "best game" because they know they are playing against the SB champs and will step up their game...that's when we will see how good Eli really is.Right now I take Romo and it's not even close.
This I dont get. How can it "not even be close" when Eli has PROVEN he can be an integral player on a Super Bowl winning team? That is not to say Romo cant, but he certainly has not shown that he can while Eli has. And don't give me Dilfer who was there to not screw up on a team with one of the top 5 defenses ever and a fantastic running game to complement that defense... Dilfer was a caretaker while Eli was a leader and key playmaker - on a Super Bowl winning team!How that carries no weight I dont know.
He's wrong.....don't get frustrated over it. I can say Isiah Thomas was better than Michael Jordan but sometimes an opinion is just wrong.To say Romo is in some other class than Eli Manning after what we just saw is wrong, plain and simple.

But can't help that.

Now what do you say?

What says You?
You're OBVIOUSLY a homer and that's fine.Im not the guy who you responded to earlier, and I don't have any sour grapes towards the Giants for my Cowboys. That being said, Please detach yourself from Eli's nuts.

The defense won that SB, the GREAT catch by"whats his name" was a desperate pass by Eli. He Brett Favred that one. NOBODY other then Giants fans honestly think this Giants team is even in the discussion of great teams. Relax.

Eli is a very solid QB, and I think he is a lot better then a lot of people give him credit for, stop being so insecure when people take other players of the "legendary" Eli Nelson Manning.

But can't help that.

Now what do you say?

What says You?
You're OBVIOUSLY a homer and that's fine.Im not the guy who you responded to earlier, and I don't have any sour grapes towards the Giants for my Cowboys. That being said, Please detach yourself from Eli's nuts.

The defense won that SB, the GREAT catch by"whats his name" was a desperate pass by Eli. He Brett Favred that one. NOBODY other then Giants fans honestly think this Giants team is even in the discussion of great teams. Relax.

Eli is a very solid QB, and I think he is a lot better then a lot of people give him credit for, stop being so insecure when people take other players of the "legendary" Eli Nelson Manning.
First, I am clear that the Giants are my team.That said, I am quite critical of my home teams, Eli included.I never said the Giants were a "great team"

Nor do I think Eli is a better "regular season QB" than Romo or others mentioned.

But Eli has something in his makeup, and he has proven that not only in the regular season, but in the postseason - the ability to find a way to win. To calmly lead his team down, sometimes more than once in the 4th quarter, to pull victory from defeat.

This is not found in stat lines. It is not found in pretty throws or whomever the media darling is... but when you watch a game, you see a leader and a winning QB that has PROVEN he can win not only the big game, but the biggest game.

When/if Romo and the others do that, they could surpass Eli... but right now I think people discount the intangibles involved in being a QB.

Which is the real Eli Manning? Great playoff performer, super bowl MVP, now GREAT QB or the guy that averaged 16-35 (45%) 196 - .6 tds - 1.2 int's and a 53 QB rating weeks 12-16 THIS YEAR against 4 non-playoff teams? IMO he's somewhere in between.

Which is the real Eli Manning? Great playoff performer, super bowl MVP, now GREAT QB or the guy that averaged 16-35 (45%) 196 - .6 tds - 1.2 int's and a 53 QB rating weeks 12-16 THIS YEAR against 4 non-playoff teams? IMO he's somewhere in between.
It seems to me that some people can't understand that he's both. He's a little inconsistent but as he matures, the inconsistency subsides a little bit and you see more of the polished QB.Even players like Brett Farve started off their careers very rocky, very inconsistent and at times you still see flashes of those inconsistencies but more often you'd see what makes them great.Eli Manning will have bad games again. To act like he won't ever throw a pick in a tough situation is silly.....but he can also do what we just saw and is capable of doing it again.Who are we gonna see? The bad Eli, the good Eli. The bad Romo or the good Romo.I'd expect to see more good than bad because he has come into his own.

But Eli has something in his makeup, and he has proven that not only in the regular season, but in the postseason - the ability to find a way to win. To calmly lead his team down, sometimes more than once in the 4th quarter, to pull victory from defeat.This is not found in stat lines. It is not found in pretty throws or whomever the media darling is... but when you watch a game, you see a leader and a winning QB that has PROVEN he can win not only the big game, but the biggest game.When/if Romo and the others do that, they could surpass Eli... but right now I think people discount the intangibles involved in being a QB.
Didn't Eli lose in the playoffs in the first round in '05 and '06? Romo lost his 2 playoff games as well. Maybe Romo is super MVP next year....

But Eli has something in his makeup, and he has proven that not only in the regular season, but in the postseason - the ability to find a way to win. To calmly lead his team down, sometimes more than once in the 4th quarter, to pull victory from defeat.This is not found in stat lines. It is not found in pretty throws or whomever the media darling is... but when you watch a game, you see a leader and a winning QB that has PROVEN he can win not only the big game, but the biggest game.When/if Romo and the others do that, they could surpass Eli... but right now I think people discount the intangibles involved in being a QB.
Didn't Eli lose in the playoffs in the first round in '05 and '06? Romo lost his 2 playoff games as well.
Yes. But Eli then lead his team to the SB and he was by far the best offensive player throughout that span.If Romo does the same, or even comes close, then it's a different discussion.As I noted, I dont think Eli will ever be in the mold of the uber productive QBs. He wont look pretty. He will have some very bad games when his accuracy is off (god knows Favre has had his share of AWFUL games and some consider him the greatest ever, although I do not at all). But when the game is on the line, Eli has a proven track record of getting his #### together and leading his team to wins... and this year he parlayed that ability into HUGE drives against the Cowboys (before the half when momentum was slipping away), against Green Bay (on a number of occasions, although his kicker didnt help the cause origionally) and in the Superbowl with two 80 yard drives to take the lead in the 4th.As the poster said above, Eli is BOTH the inconsistent guy that will have you wondering wtf is up, and ALSO the QB whom in crunch time just finds a way to get it done. I'd take that over 4000 yards and 30 TDs anyday.

Still rather have Romo. His defense cost him the game against the Giants, not him.

Eli didnt LEAD his team anywhere. He was the beneficiary of one of the most under rated defenses in football and a coach that was smart enough to take the game out of his hands.

He made ONE good play in the super bowl. One. He was REALLY lucky on others, the fumble, the dropped INT by Samuel, the GREAT catch by Tyree.

Still rather have Romo. His defense cost him the game against the Giants, not him. Eli didnt LEAD his team anywhere. He was the beneficiary of one of the most under rated defenses in football and a coach that was smart enough to take the game out of his hands. He made ONE good play in the super bowl. One. He was REALLY lucky on others, the fumble, the dropped INT by Samuel, the GREAT catch by Tyree.
You can legitimately say you want Romo.You can NOT legitimately say Eli did not lead his team anywhere. That is objectively and clearly wrong. Whether it is your fandom in your way or what I can't say - but watching the last month, the clutch play, Eli's calm in the huddle, and what everyone close to the team - objective reporters and non objective observers and teamates alike - will attest to how Eli was a true leader in this run.BTW, ONE good play in the SB? You are only hurting your credibility. The tyree TD was a perfect pass... there were many other passes similar to that (including Boss) that had to be thrown perfectly or an INT could have resulted. So, either you don't understand football, did not watch the playoffs, certainly did not watch (or understand what happened in) the Super Bowl, or for some reason you are biased so as not to see what was pretty damn apparant.That doesnt mean Eli will outperform Romo from here out... but to dismiss what Eli did during the past month is to ignore reality.One good play. :lmao: Please.

if Samuel hangs onto that ball on their last drive the Eli sucks posts would be on this board in droves. The giants got all the bounces to go their way and their defense played incredible. They deserved to win but I'd still take romo any day of the week. Eli manages games the giants win. Romo WINS the games that Dallas wins. He's more of an integral part of the teams overall success than Eli was/is for the giants.

Users who are viewing this thread