What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Thick as Thieves- Alec Baldwin, Andre Braugher, Rebeccah deMornay... this came out a while ago and makes its rounds on the premium cable channels. Maybe it's from Canada? For a movie I'd never heard of before seeing part of it a few year's back (and the rest the other night), it was pretty enjoyable. I've always really liked Braugher- guy can do no wrong, from what I've seen- and Baldwin does a pretty standard and solid Baldwin performance. Story of double cross and revenge amongst gangsters/thieves, mostly comedic. Nicely shot and written with one of my favorite funny lines in recent memory: "You can take the ##### out the ghetto... but you just can't take the ##### out the ghetto". Not going to open your eyes or make you think, but pretty good, light-hearted fare.

I had The Black Dahlia on Tivo for a long time before finally watching it.

Should've just deleted it. :thumbdown:
did the same thing with American Pysco, Christin Bale. My brother said it was good :no: :thumbdown:
:confused: Really good movie... to each their own, I guess.
:hifive:
:hug:First negative comment I've seen about AP... :shrug:

Hey, jdog- did you ever see "The Bridge"... damn but that thing has been haunting me- but probably in an exploitative, rathter than cinematic way.

did the same thing with American Pysco, Christin Bale. My brother said it was good :no: :thumbup:

Hey, jdog- did you ever see "The Bridge"... damn but that thing has been haunting me- but probably in an exploitative, rathter than cinematic way.
I think American Psycho is brilliant satire. I have The Bridge very high in my queue, so I will report back after I watch.

Saw American Gangster last night. My wife was bored but I liked the deliberate pacing since the movie covered a multi-year period and it gave me time to relax and let the characters develop. The movie could have benefitted, however, from a greater emphasis on Carla Gugino's wonderful body.

jdoggydogg said:
El Floppo said:
jdoggydogg said:
El Floppo said:

did the same thing with American Pysco, Christin Bale. My brother said it was good :no: :thumbdown:

I think American Psycho is brilliant satire. I have The Bridge very high in my queue, so I will report back after I watch.
:thumbup: I was just talking about AP yesterday, because a Huey Lewis song came on at work.

"Do you like Huey Lewis & the News?"

jdoggydogg said:
El Floppo said:
jdoggydogg said:
El Floppo said:

:hophead: I was just talking about AP yesterday, because a Huey Lewis song came on at work.

"Do you like Huey Lewis & the News?"
I don't like Huey Lewis. His music is too ethnic.

I know I've brought up Heaven before, but I just caught most of it again on one of the premium channels.

Directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, Princess and the Warrior) and written by Krzysztof Kieslowski (Red, Blue, White, Decalogue) with Kate Blanchette and Giovanni Ribisi. Really a stunning, moving film- one of the more beautifully filmed and... vibed movies I've seen.

Plot deals with issues on a more mythic level (pure Kieslowski)- Love, Redemption, Justice- and is jaw-droppingly beautifully filmed and acted- all in Italy, and mostly in Italian. If you're looking for a more straight ahead story, the mythic quality creates some forced plot lines, which bugged me a little when I first saw this in the theater (still loved the look and vibe at the time), but seemed more apparent and completely forgivable on this 3rd-ish viewing.

Every frame is carefully composed, and Tykwer somehow manages to get a lot of calm movement from his camera while staying tight on his lead actors (Blanchette :bs: ). Stunning use of light and shadow in every scene that brings to mind Renaissance paintings... or maybe Vermeer. Spare, haunting score- often w/out sound- that suits the movie perfectly, even if I'd never want to listen to it on it's own. There are two scenes at the end that are some of my all time favorite on a purely visual level (one involving a sunrise and the characters in silhouette, the other a helicopter).

Just hoping somebody else has seen this? I forget what came up last time I mentioned it.

Okay. I have a lot of rambling thoughts here, but I'll try to get them in line.

First of all, I'm a big fan of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. But secondly, I'm a confirmed movie snob, so when the third Guy Ritchie movie came about I Am Mr. Madonna, or whatever it was called, I had to just say no.

But, sticking by my love for the first two, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and watched Revolver tonight. Wow. So many thoughts wanting to rush out, but I can say that I feel that this is definitely a progression from the first two. Not to say that I necessarily think one is above another, I just think this one builds on the other two. Dunno. Hard to explain. Plus, I've been drinking Jameson.

But.........Guy Ritchie back in form + Andre 3000 + the coolest character since Rory Breaker = skeet skeet skeet (5/5)

First of all, I'm a big fan of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. But secondly, I'm a confirmed movie snob, so when the third Guy Ritchie movie came about I Am Mr. Madonna, or whatever it was called, I had to just say no.

But, sticking by my love for the first two, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and watched Revolver tonight. Wow. So many thoughts wanting to rush out, but I can say that I feel that this is definitely a progression from the first two. Not to say that I necessarily think one is above another, I just think this one builds on the other two. Dunno. Hard to explain. Plus, I've been drinking Jameson.

But.........Guy Ritchie back in form + Andre 3000 + the coolest character since Rory Breaker = skeet skeet skeet (5/5)
Revolver got panned, so it's good to know that someone liked it. I haven't seen it yet.

Children of Men - heard a lot of buzz about this, and while I did like it, it didn't knock me out. also, and this may be ticky tacky, but there was about a 3 minute section during the crazy shootout scene where there were blood splatters on the camera lens, and it really broke the illusion of the movie to me. it distracted me and I found it hard to suspend disbelief. on a side note, that Ejiofor cat is becoming one of my favorite actors.

Michael Clayton - it was overall an enjoyable movie, especially any scene with Tom Wilkinson. there was one scene in particular where Wilkinson's character was acting kinda goofy and scattered. and then all the sudden he gets cold and sharp, and you can tell why people thought of him as a courtroom legend. Clooney was solid, but he basically played the same type of character that he's been in a million movies. meh. I enjoyed it, but won't feel any need to watch it again for a while.

The Host - this is the Korean monster flick that people rave about. I keep hearing how Cloverfield stole from it, how it's so much better than any American monster movie, and blah blah blah. really? this movie? it was okay and I guess I enjoyed it, but wouldn't put it even on the same level as Cloverfield. maybe my expectations were too high after hearing everyone pump it up...

Last edited by a moderator:
sergio leone's "duck, you sucker!" tonight. rod steiger and james coburn both in a strange and funny movie. steiger - with the worst spanish accent i've seen since robert loggia in "Scarface" - plays a bandido who gets mixed up with the mexican revolution. coburn - one of my film idols - plays an IRA bomber who gets mixed up in it too. the plot is all over the place. it's like leone spent his time planning the explosions rather than tinkering with the script. it's not a bad film but a total mess with a serious homo-erotic undercurrent to it.

Children of Men - heard a lot of buzz about this, and while I did like it, it didn't knock me out. also, and this may be ticky tacky, but there was about a 3 minute section during the crazy shootout scene where there were blood splatters on the camera lens, and it really broke the illusion of the movie to me. it distracted me and I found it hard to suspend disbelief. on a side note, that Ejiofor cat is becoming one of my favorite actors.
It's amazing how people can interpret something a completely different way. The blood splatter on the camera made me feel like I was a part of the scene, almost like what was happening was actually "real"...

sergio leone's "duck, you sucker!" tonight. rod steiger and james coburn both in a strange and funny movie. steiger - with the worst spanish accent i've seen since robert loggia in "Scarface" - plays a bandido who gets mixed up with the mexican revolution. coburn - one of my film idols - plays an IRA bomber who gets mixed up in it too. the plot is all over the place. it's like leone spent his time planning the explosions rather than tinkering with the script. it's not a bad film but a total mess with a serious homo-erotic undercurrent to it.
Maybe the best movie title ever. Totally forgot about that one, which I know I saw back when Leone movies were always on TV (late 70s, early 80s?).Your write-up reminded me of My Name is Nobody- I think it's also by Leone. More of a comedy (intentional or unintentional, I'm not sure), and also with homo-erotic undertones... hell, IIRC, they were more overtones. Does this one ring any bells?

Revolver got panned, so it's good to know that someone liked it. I haven't seen it yet.
Yeah. When I said I had lot of rambling thoughts, what I meant to say, but the Jameson probably prevented me from doing so, is that it's like a Guy Ritchie movie, that is also VERY cerebral. Those that go in expecting just a funny action movie with a lot of funny characters won't like it. I watched the Making Of afterwards, and Guy and his editor were talking about when it came out. The editor said he always felt it would probably get panned, and then find it's legs on DVD. Guy said, of course that's not what you want to happen, and he was nervous, but they watched it right before it got released, and there wasn't one thing he would change. Also said it was his favorite movie that he's made.

Your write-up reminded me of My Name is Nobody- I think it's also by Leone. More of a comedy (intentional or unintentional, I'm not sure), and also with homo-erotic undertones... hell, IIRC, they were more overtones. Does this one ring any bells?
I saw that when I was a kid.

Yeah. When I said I had lot of rambling thoughts, what I meant to say, but the Jameson probably prevented me from doing so, is that it's like a Guy Ritchie movie, that is also VERY cerebral. Those that go in expecting just a funny action movie with a lot of funny characters won't like it. I watched the Making Of afterwards, and Guy and his editor were talking about when it came out. The editor said he always felt it would probably get panned, and then find it's legs on DVD. Guy said, of course that's not what you want to happen, and he was nervous, but they watched it right before it got released, and there wasn't one thing he would change. Also said it was his favorite movie that he's made.
Interesting. The Onion AV club hated it, but your review is enough for me to rent it.

It's amazing how people can interpret something a completely different way. The blood splatter on the camera made me feel like I was a part of the scene, almost like what was happening was actually "real"...
I also like the blood splatter, but I wonder if they would have kept it in if it wasn't that amazingly long continuous scene. Some great film work with that and the car scene.I loved Eastern Promises. It actually made me realize why I didn't love No Country. I felt an emotional attachment to almost all of the characters in EP, something that I just didn't get from NCFOM.

Great acting, so many different storylines, and...a satisfying ending.

Great movie.

Also checked out Lenny with Dustin Hoffman and Valerie Perrine. Solid movie. Didn't know all that much about Lenny Bruce and it was a good overview. The standup scene with Hoffman in the overcoat was an amazing performance. Well shot and directed. Not great but worth watching.

El Floppo said:
I know I've brought up Heaven before, but I just caught most of it again on one of the premium channels.

Directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, Princess and the Warrior) and written by Krzysztof Kieslowski (Red, Blue, White, Decalogue) with Kate Blanchette and Giovanni Ribisi. Really a stunning, moving film- one of the more beautifully filmed and... vibed movies I've seen.

Plot deals with issues on a more mythic level (pure Kieslowski)- Love, Redemption, Justice- and is jaw-droppingly beautifully filmed and acted- all in Italy, and mostly in Italian. If you're looking for a more straight ahead story, the mythic quality creates some forced plot lines, which bugged me a little when I first saw this in the theater (still loved the look and vibe at the time), but seemed more apparent and completely forgivable on this 3rd-ish viewing.

Every frame is carefully composed, and Tykwer somehow manages to get a lot of calm movement from his camera while staying tight on his lead actors (Blanchette :shrug: ). Stunning use of light and shadow in every scene that brings to mind Renaissance paintings... or maybe Vermeer. Spare, haunting score- often w/out sound- that suits the movie perfectly, even if I'd never want to listen to it on it's own. There are two scenes at the end that are some of my all time favorite on a purely visual level (one involving a sunrise and the characters in silhouette, the other a helicopter).

Just hoping somebody else has seen this? I forget what came up last time I mentioned it.
Yes, you and I had a discussion about this movie before. One of my favorite movie endings ever. Go and look up our past posts, lazy. :lmao:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: Beautiful cinematography. Great performances. I've heard complaints that it was slow-paced, but it really didn't seem that way to me. It never felt plodding. Really, I have no complaints. A quiet, subtle, underseen film.

Elizabeth II: Not bad, great acting, but the story ended a bit too abruptly for me...flow and story could have been better.

Into the Wild: Great movie...I really enjoy different movies and this movie fits that bill. Great acting, great story, great direction...all around solid flick.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: Beautiful cinematography. Great performances. I've heard complaints that it was slow-paced, but it really didn't seem that way to me. It never felt plodding. Really, I have no complaints. A quiet, subtle, underseen film.
:excited:

This was not rented.

Kicking it Old School - Jamie Kennedy.

I don't know if this was straight to video or what. This is soooooooo bad I loved it!!!!!

FINALLY got around to watching The Big Lebowski.

Surprised, but I liked the movie quite a bit. Thought Goodman's character was great. I think it got a little weak in the 2nd half, and I could've done without the dream sequences, but still a damn good movie. It felt like one of those movies that gets funnier upon repeat viewings.

On a (not really) sad side note- I'll be joining the side of the enemy soon. I sold my part of the video store to the partner and will probably joining netflix soon even though I think it's the devil. :shrug: Just way too many old movies that I want to catch up on that I don't have access to. Paying $17 a month >>>>>> paying for each movie as I want to watch them or paying the gas money to drive into Madison to go to the specialty stores.

I feel so dirty....

Every frame is carefully composed, and Tykwer somehow manages to get a lot of calm movement from his camera while staying tight on his lead actors (Blanchette :lmao: ). Stunning use of light and shadow in every scene that brings to mind Renaissance paintings... or maybe Vermeer. Spare, haunting score- often w/out sound- that suits the movie perfectly, even if I'd never want to listen to it on it's own. There are two scenes at the end that are some of my all time favorite on a purely visual level (one involving a sunrise and the characters in silhouette, the other a helicopter).

Yes, you and I had a discussion about this movie before. One of my favorite movie endings ever. Go and look up our past posts, lazy. :lmao:
:lmao: .... Meanie!Vaguely rememberd and figured you had seen this one. Besides the ending, did you like the rest of the movie?

Anybody else see this?

How about Decalogue, written and directed by Kierslowksi? I think done for Polish TV in 10 x1hour segments to match the 10 commandments. Similar narrative approach, IMO, although less beautiful visually.

Surprised, but I liked the movie quite a bit. Thought Goodman's character was great. I think it got a little weak in the 2nd half, and I could've done without the dream sequences, but still a damn good movie. It felt like one of those movies that gets funnier upon repeat viewings.

On a (not really) sad side note- I'll be joining the side of the enemy soon. I sold my part of the video store to the partner and will probably joining netflix soon even though I think it's the devil. :lmao: Just way too many old movies that I want to catch up on that I don't have access to. Paying $17 a month >>>>>> paying for each movie as I want to watch them or paying the gas money to drive into Madison to go to the specialty stores.

I feel so dirty....
I saw this movie in the theaters when it came out and got so ridiculously high for it that I didn't even remember seeing it the second I left the theater. I remember less now. I know as a Coen fan that I need to revisit this "classic" which I've absorbed by osmosis around these parts.Wait... what were we talking about?

Elizabeth II: Not bad, great acting, but the story ended a bit too abruptly for me...flow and story could have been better.
Great costumes, but groaningly self-indulgent direction. Every shot felt like the director was trying to make the Sistine Chapel but of course didn't, just ended up distracting me from the story, beautiful Blanchette :lmao: and pretty costumes. And I agree- something about the way it flowed- maybe trying to cover too much, maybe the editing, but the story didn't work.

Conspiracy

I'm a big Val Kilmer fan, but this wasn't one of his better movies. His character is good and the chick is cute. Its a syrupy story and you know pretty much every hollywood cliche in this movie but even so i kind of liked it. the last 20 minutes compressed the action aspect of this slow movie and made it tolerable. I'd give it a C at best.

Atonement

Fantastic cinematography, and brilliant acting aren't enough to carry the mediocre storyline. I thought the movie was pretty good, but could have been great. It's definitely worth a rental though.

Atonement

Fantastic cinematography, and brilliant acting aren't enough to carry the mediocre storyline. I thought the movie was pretty good, but could have been great. It's definitely worth a rental though.
After reading the book, I have practically no interest in seeing the movie... much like you described the movie- very well written, but annoying story.

Good movie. The scene where Turturro bowls to the Gipsy Kings' "Hotel California" is one of my favorite scenes in a movie.
On a (not really) sad side note- I'll be joining the side of the enemy soon. I sold my part of the video store to the partner and will probably joining netflix soon even though I think it's the devil. :goodposting: Just way too many old movies that I want to catch up on that I don't have access to. Paying $17 a month >>>>>> paying for each movie as I want to watch them or paying the gas money to drive into Madison to go to the specialty stores.

I feel so dirty....
I used to frequent a local, indy video store - and I loved it. It killed me to join Netflix. But sadly, the old model of video stores stinks. It's not convenient.

Great costumes, but groaningly self-indulgent direction. Every shot felt like the director was trying to make the Sistine Chapel but of course didn't, just ended up distracting me from the story, beautiful Blanchette :wall: and pretty costumes. And I agree- something about the way it flowed- maybe trying to cover too much, maybe the editing, but the story didn't work.
The sequal looks like ###, but the first film was awesome.

I've got Juno in my queue, but this sure looks like a dud. From the scenes I've seen, it looks like it's really trying hard to be clever. Anyone that's seen it have an opinion?

I've got Juno in my queue, but this sure looks like a dud. From the scenes I've seen, it looks like it's really trying hard to be clever. Anyone that's seen it have an opinion?
It's a bit precious in it's writing, yeah- but the writing is still pretty good. Only problem I had with the writing was that it suffered from all the characters having too similar a voice. Relied too much on the actors, rather than the writing, to differentiate the characters. Other problem was the lack of change that occured to Juno while she was pregnant... not much of a character arc, despite the major-life-changing thing like a pregnancy.eta: but it's not a dud... definitely worth the watch.

It's a bit precious in it's writing, yeah- but the writing is still pretty good. Only problem I had with the writing was that it suffered from all the characters having too similar a voice. Relied too much on the actors, rather than the writing, to differentiate the characters. Other problem was the lack of change that occured to Juno while she was pregnant... not much of a character arc, despite the major-life-changing thing like a pregnancy.eta: but it's not a dud... definitely worth the watch.
Excellent. I also have these ready on my hi-def DVR saved up:Flags of our Fathers

Blades of Glory

The Last King of Scotland

try the "Juno" thread? it's more than a few pages long...
Nah, too lazy :lmao:
My short review in the Juno thread.
Too wordy. ;)
I like to mince words.

Excellent. I also have these ready on my hi-def DVR saved up:Flags of our FathersBlades of Glory
Not a fan. :pickle:
Really? I liked Sands of Iwo Jima.
From the technical aspect, Sands was good. The story bothered me though. I understand that the "other guy" can get swept up by the winds of war too, but that movie essentially asked me to sympathize with a race of warriors unmatched in their brutality in modern times.The shorter answer was that I thought Eastwood's attempt at moral equivalency was :bs:

Users who are viewing this thread