What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre talking to others teams about Packers offense (3 Viewers)

W1cked

Footballguy
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An3m...p&type=lgns

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer 45 minutes ago

Buzz Up

Print

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Cornerback Charles Woodson says that if a media report indicating that Brett Favre shared inside knowledge of the Green Bay Packers’ offense with Detroit Lions coaches is true, it’s nothing short of sabotage.

Has one of the most beloved players in Packers history become Benedict Brett?

“He contacted them? I don’t respect that,” Woodson said after the Packers’ victory over Indianapolis on Sunday. “If they call him and he gives them information, that’s one thing. But to seek a team out and to feel like you’re trying to sabotage this team, I don’t respect that. I know he’s been the greatest player around here for a long time, but there’s no honor in that.”

Woodson’s sharp comments came in the wake of a foxsports.com report Sunday that Favre called the Lions before their Sept. 14 game against the Packers in Detroit and spent more than an hour giving coaches information on nuances of the offense he used to run.

Favre—who was traded to the New York Jets after a prolonged, ugly split with the Packers’ front office this summer—was not asked about the report after the Jets’ loss at Oakland on Sunday.

But in a text message to an NBC reporter before the Seahawks-Buccaneers primetime game, Favre strongly denied the report.

“I would say it’s disappointing,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

McCarthy added that he was aware of the report but “not really in tune” with its details and did not want to comment further.

An NFL spokesman did not immediately respond to a message sent by The Associated Press, but Favre’s alleged contact with the Lions is not believed to violate any league rules.

Woodson, however, seems to consider it unethical.

“I’ve never called a coach on another team and told them what’s going to happen,” Woodson said. “It is what it is. Obviously he says he wasn’t bitter about what happened, but obviously there is a little bit of resentment there.”

Packers wide receiver Ruvell Martin shared Woodson’s concern.

“If it’s true, then you’ve got to question motives,” Martin said. “I don’t know what to say.”

But Martin downplayed the actual damage leaked inside information could do to a team.

“In my opinion, there’s not too much you can gain,” Martin said. “You can give them our hand signals (but) those are on tape already. If we find out you’ve got our hand signals, we try to find a way (around it).”

Packers center Scott Wells said it would be “disappointing” if Favre shared information with the Lions, but noted that the Packers beat the Lions.

“Obviously it didn’t work out too well for them,” Wells said. “We were still able to go out and move the ball on them and win the game.”

Other Packers players wouldn’t touch the subject.

“I’d rather not know what it is and not comment on it,” said wide receiver Donald Driver, a close friend of Favre’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Said defensive end Cullen Jenkins: “I don’t know if he’s done it or not. It’s one of those things, personally and I don’t know the situation, but I just think it’s kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn’t talked to Aaron [Rodgers], wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he’s called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that. I don’t have nothing against Brett personally. But I think in his position, he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. If that was the case, if he did talk to the coaches, I could see if he told his coaches if they were going to play us. That’s all right. But if you go out of your way to talk to another team, nah, I don’t think that’s right.”

Said defensive end Cullen Jenkins: “I don’t know if he’s done it or not. It’s one of those things, personally and I don’t know the situation, but I just think it’s kind of messed up how he left here. Hasn’t talked to Aaron [Rodgers], wished Aaron good luck or anything or like that but he’s called everybody else, called Tony Romo and stuff like that. I don’t have nothing against Brett personally. But I think in his position, he could at least show a little more class, a little more respect to Aaron in that regard. If that was the case, if he did talk to the coaches, I could see if he told his coaches if they were going to play us. That’s all right. But if you go out of your way to talk to another team, nah, I don’t think that’s right.”
:football: I think Aaron is doing fine without his call. I think he deserves a ton of credit for the way he's handled all of this and played like he has. I thought he may be one of those who gets gushed over, but he actually doesn't seem to get as much credit as he deserves-relatively speaking.

A few things:

1. This is an allegation and needs to be treated as such. That said, Glazer is one of the best beat writers in the league. I put a lot of stock in what he reports.

2. Favre has denied the allegation.

3. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Packers have apparently heard rumors about Favre talking to other teams.

4. Detroit head coach refused to refute the report when asked about it today, offering only a "No comment." To me, that's a rather significant because if it wasn't true, why wouldn't he make it clear no conversations with Favre had ever taken place? The fact he didn't leads me to strongly believe something did occur.

5. If the report is true, Favre's reputation takes a MAJOR hit. This is classless and, quite frankly, childish. If true, he needs to grow the hell up and get over what happened between him and the Packers.

now why on Earth would Favre call up Rogers to wish him good luck? did Montana call up Young to wish him good luck? Did any other player who got booted for younger talent call up the other player to wish them good luck? Why is Favre the ambassador of "showing class"? He's a competitor through and through. He doesn't owe, nor is he owed anything. People need to get off their high horse and let things be. Players sharing info about teams is not a new concept by the way. The year that Lawyer Milloy went from the Pats to the Bills, he gave the Bills a lot of useful info about his former team. I don't remember the score, but it was a total blowout in Buffalo's favor. It was said/written afterward that Milloy's knowledge of the Pats was instrumental in helping the Bills win that game.

5. If the report is true, Favre's reputation takes a MAJOR hit. This is classless and, quite frankly, childish. If true, he needs to grow the hell up and get over what happened between him and the Packers.
IMO Favre has already proven himself to be childish and classless with his offseason drama the past 3 years, and this past offseason in particular.Hopefully we'll find out whether this allegation is true or not - if it does prove to be true, I will not be surprised in the least.

now why on Earth would Favre call up Rogers to wish him good luck? did Montana call up Young to wish him good luck? Did any other player who got booted for younger talent call up the other player to wish them good luck? Why is Favre the ambassador of "showing class"? He's a competitor through and through. He doesn't owe, nor is he owed anything. People need to get off their high horse and let things be. Players sharing info about teams is not a new concept by the way. The year that Lawyer Milloy went from the Pats to the Bills, he gave the Bills a lot of useful info about his former team. I don't remember the score, but it was a total blowout in Buffalo's favor. It was said/written afterward that Milloy's knowledge of the Pats was instrumental in helping the Bills win that game.
Um, its different when the person is sharing info for a team he is not even on.

Did any other player who got booted for younger talent call up the other player to wish them good luck?
:thumbup: Favre retired.And anyway his beef is with the Packers front office - one would think since the Packer players were his teammates and friends he would wish them well.

If there was no truth to it, then wouldn't the Lions coaches deny the claim outright. The fact that all they had to say in response was "no comment" speaks volumes to me.

Brett was Brett today throwing the ball around without a care in the world and cost the Jets a chance to win the game before the overtime.

Have fun Jet fans with Brett for this year, IMO he doesn't come back to play another year in New York.

Another check of the Favre cell phone records please.

If, and a big IF here, he did this I call it a punk move. Also a punk move by the Lions to accept the call, if indeed they did.

If the allegation is true... so what? It is not this or something similar to this has ever happened before and it will not be the last time something like this happens. Teams sign players from a team that have been cut exactly for this type of information. Again, so what. This, unlike what others have said, does nothing to Favre's reputation. All is fair in the NFL.

If the allegation is true... so what? It is not this or something similar to this has ever happened before and it will not be the last time something like this happens. Teams sign players from a team that have been cut exactly for this type of information. Again, so what. This, unlike what others have said, does nothing to Favre's reputation. All is fair in the NFL.
Link to where he signed with Detriot please. I've never heard of this happening before.

I'm pretty neutral on Favre, and would say this whole non-story is a tempest in a teapot.

The notion that a phone call to perhaps the worst team in the league would have a material impact, even if it was true which I doubt it is, is a farce.

Link to where he signed with Detriot please. I've never heard of this happening before.
Link to where the phone call actually happened and confirmed reports as to what was said in said phone call. I have heard of teams signing other players to do this exact same thing. This story is much ado about nothing.

Link to where the phone call actually happened and confirmed reports as to what was said in said phone call. I have heard of teams signing other players to do this exact same thing. This story is much ado about nothing.

I am still waiting for a link to said phone call and what was said in that phone call. The article is speculation. Got any facts?

This isn't about Favre talking to the Jets about the Packer offense. I think everyone expects that would happen if they played each other.This is about Favre (allegedly) calling OTHER TEAMS and offering info about the Packer offense. Big difference, IMO.

Nothing wrong with it. Part of the downside in dumping a long serving player.

I'm not buying it at all. Not a Packer fan, I'm a Lions fan. Why would Brett contact the Lions of all teams? It's not

like anything he tells them is going to help them beat the Pack anyways. They are THAT bad! :X

I am still waiting for a link to said phone call and what was said in that phone call. The article is speculation. Got any facts?
Well, if you're hoping the phone was bugged and recorded for all to hear, keep waiting.That doesn't mean it did or didnt happen though.

Given the skewered relationship that Favre and Green Bay management has, it also wouldn't surprise me at all.

If there was no truth to it, then wouldn't the Lions coaches deny the claim outright. The fact that all they had to say in response was "no comment" speaks volumes to me.
If I was Detroit, I wouldn't deny it if it wasn't true. Now Green Bay will be answering questions about this whether it is true or not and can be a little bit of a distraction. Any distraction for a divisional team (despite the fact you will never catch any team in the division) is a good thing. There is no upside in denying it straight out but potentially a little by letting it hang out there with a 'no comment'.

So you won't believe it until a recording of the phone call is aired? Gotcha. :X

"According to two team sources, the Packers had heard "whispers" about Favre giving out inside information to other teams but didn't know the extent. The team is fairly irritated about it, but it was hardly a surprise. The only thing that caught them off guard was that it appears that Favre went out of his way to contact the Lions and possibly other teams to give them inside information"

"Green Bay - According to a report, former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre spent 60-90 minutes on the phone helping the Detroit Lions prepare for his former team before their Week 2 matchup.

Jay Glazer of "Fox NFL Sunday" reported of Favre's phone call to the Packers' NFC North Division rival today on the Fox pre-game show.

"Favre called the Detroit Lions, starting off with (former Detroit general manager) Matt Millen," Glazer said. "Matt Millen then put him in touch with the coaching staff and gave the coaching staff like an hour or a 90-minute dissertation, every single thing that the Green Bay Packers do on offense. It's his former team. He's calling a division opponent of a team he has nothing to do with any more and just let's loose all the family secrets. How about that?"

Link

Wasn't Jay Glazer was the one that accurately reported other Favre news recently?

Until this is proven or confirmed by more sources I'll give Favre the benefit of the doubt.
:goodposting:
Really? What has he done in the last six months to suggest to you that he deserves the benefit of the doubt? Especially when the person on the other side of the equation is one of the most respected reporters in sports?
Now this is good posting.Favre's free pass continues with some folks.And of course Favre's going to deny it. What else is he going to do? He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar here. Just when I thought my opinion of the guy couldn't get much lower......

I'm pretty neutral on Favre, and would say this whole non-story is a tempest in a teapot.The notion that a phone call to perhaps the worst team in the league would have a material impact, even if it was true which I doubt it is, is a farce.
:goodposting: The upset GB fans in here are probably the ones already pissed off by Favre. Did he do something against the rules? No, so what is the big deal. Does Detroit, who plays GB twice a year for the past eternity not know the GB offense? They just don't have the personnel to do anything with any new information.Oh no, he didn't call poor Aaron and wish him the best. :cry: The last time you were kind of pushed out of a job, did you call your replacement and wish him luck. Please.I have no skin in the GB game and could care less about Rodgers or Favre outside of FF, so I can look at this objectively annd laugh that this considered anything other than a silly little story. This reminds me of all of the upset people over NE's spygate last year. The fact that people were so upset when I still see coaches put their cards over their mouths when calling in plays and you see instant pictures already in every defensive and offensive players hands right after players, made me laugh. The upset people in here have blinders on if they think all coaches in the league don't probe former players and friends for any little advantage they can get.

I believe this is 100% true. Glazer has an incredible record/resume for breaking stories. I find it funny that Favre did not call Glazer to refute the story or defend himself. Instead he called one of his corporate shills, Peter King, to make comments and give him the "exclusive" scoop.

I don't understand how people can't believe this is true. Look at the last 6 months and everything Favre has done. Unbelievable. Way to tarnish your legend.

Once again, this is completely different than being on a new team and informing your coaches. The Jets were not playing the Packers. Favre, who in week 2 should have been more concerned with learning the Jets playbook, and getting to know his new teammates, instead spent 90 minutes on the phone with the Lions coaches providing them with inside information on the Packers. It just makes him look pathetic.

A few things:1. This is an allegation and needs to be treated as such. That said, Glazer is one of the best beat writers in the league. I put a lot of stock in what he reports. 2. Favre has denied the allegation. 3. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Packers have apparently heard rumors about Favre talking to other teams. 4. Detroit head coach refused to refute the report when asked about it today, offering only a "No comment." To me, that's a rather significant because if it wasn't true, why wouldn't he make it clear no conversations with Favre had ever taken place? The fact he didn't leads me to strongly believe something did occur. 5. If the report is true, Favre's reputation takes a MAJOR hit. This is classless and, quite frankly, childish. If true, he needs to grow the hell up and get over what happened between him and the Packers.
:confused: Its one thing to hold it against management and the coaches...but to do something that could affect the team/players...its pretty bad.Though, it did not help the Lions too much...Rodgers torched them early...maybe he can call a few other teams for the Packers.

I'm pretty neutral on Favre, and would say this whole non-story is a tempest in a teapot.The notion that a phone call to perhaps the worst team in the league would have a material impact, even if it was true which I doubt it is, is a farce.
:wall: The upset GB fans in here are probably the ones already pissed off by Favre. Did he do something against the rules? No, so what is the big deal. Does Detroit, who plays GB twice a year for the past eternity not know the GB offense? They just don't have the personnel to do anything with any new information.Oh no, he didn't call poor Aaron and wish him the best. ;) The last time you were kind of pushed out of a job, did you call your replacement and wish him luck. Please.I have no skin in the GB game and could care less about Rodgers or Favre outside of FF, so I can look at this objectively annd laugh that this considered anything other than a silly little story. This reminds me of all of the upset people over NE's spygate last year. The fact that people were so upset when I still see coaches put their cards over their mouths when calling in plays and you see instant pictures already in every defensive and offensive players hands right after players, made me laugh. The upset people in here have blinders on if they think all coaches in the league don't probe former players and friends for any little advantage they can get.
Its not about being against the rules...and as others have said...if you give it to the Jets...fine...no problem.But to go out of his way to call a division rival to give information just shows him to be a vindictive ### in this situation.Again...if true.Its not against the rules...it probably had absolutely no impact on the game as Rodgers torched them early on...it just looks bad.I don't see how anyone of you can spin it otherwise about Favre in this.

Is this another case where it's getting made into a much bigger deal b/c the name Favre is tied to the story?

So many of these guys are friends. You don't think other coaches/players call their buddies that recently played for an upcoming opponent to get any tips they can?

Now if Favre just called the Lions out of the blue to sabotage, that's a little different, but I don't see how that claim will ever be substantiated since there's not going to be an investigation or anything.

I'm pretty neutral on Favre, and would say this whole non-story is a tempest in a teapot.

The notion that a phone call to perhaps the worst team in the league would have a material impact, even if it was true which I doubt it is, is a farce.
:wall: The upset GB fans in here are probably the ones already pissed off by Favre. Did he do something against the rules? No, so what is the big deal. Does Detroit, who plays GB twice a year for the past eternity not know the GB offense? They just don't have the personnel to do anything with any new information.

Oh no, he didn't call poor Aaron and wish him the best. ;) The last time you were kind of pushed out of a job, did you call your replacement and wish him luck. Please.

I have no skin in the GB game and could care less about Rodgers or Favre outside of FF, so I can look at this objectively annd laugh that this considered anything other than a silly little story. This reminds me of all of the upset people over NE's spygate last year. The fact that people were so upset when I still see coaches put their cards over their mouths when calling in plays and you see instant pictures already in every defensive and offensive players hands right after players, made me laugh. The upset people in here have blinders on if they think all coaches in the league don't probe former players and friends for any little advantage they can get.
Yes it's normal to sign another teams former player to pick their brains for anything that might help give the new team an edge. What is NOT normal is for the former player to CONTACT other teams offering information. While I'm not upset over what happened I can't imagne what information Favre could offer a team that the Packers are going to play that a decent scouting department couldn't put together on their own.If this report is true and I were the Jets, I would be more pissed that Brett had time to call and chat with the Lions for 1+ hours on how to beat his former team than using that time learning the Jets playbook better or the Patriots tendencies better so that maybe the Jets could have beaten the Patriots in week two.

Maybe the REAL truth is that Favre called up the Lions and gave them a bunch of bad information in order to help out the Packers... :wall: ;)

If this is true, then it is really sad and pathetic and i have lost a lot of respect for the guy. I mean seriously, first he pisses and moans to get off the Packers after retirement, then he makes fun of Rodgers constantly because he is jealous. Then he calls Romo and tells him to suck it up and play. And now this!!

Maybe he shoudl concentrate on the team he plays for considering they just lost to the hapless Oakland Raiders. My lord!

Is this another case where it's getting made into a much bigger deal b/c the name Favre is tied to the story?So many of these guys are friends. You don't think other coaches/players call their buddies that recently played for an upcoming opponent to get any tips they can?Now if Favre just called the Lions out of the blue to sabotage, that's a little different, but I don't see how that claim will ever be substantiated since there's not going to be an investigation or anything.
Since when is Favre friends with Matt Millen and Rod Marinelli?Its not as if he was calling a former teammate like Mike Wahle in Seattle...

If this is true, then it is really sad and pathetic and i have lost a lot of respect for the guy. I mean seriously, first he pisses and moans to get off the Packers after retirement, then he makes fun of Rodgers constantly because he is jealous. Then he calls Romo and tells him to suck it up and play. And now this!! Maybe he shoudl concentrate on the team he plays for considering they just lost to the hapless Oakland Raiders. My lord!
I'm just hoping he keeps taking snaps for the jets and that he somehow gets them into the playoffs and beyond. Come on draft choice.

If this is true, then it is really sad and pathetic and i have lost a lot of respect for the guy. I mean seriously, first he pisses and moans to get off the Packers after retirement, then he makes fun of Rodgers constantly because he is jealous. Then he calls Romo and tells him to suck it up and play. And now this!! Maybe he shoudl concentrate on the team he plays for considering they just lost to the hapless Oakland Raiders. My lord!
When has he been constantly making fun of Rodgers?

I'm just hoping he keeps taking snaps for the jets and that he somehow gets them into the playoffs and beyond. Come on draft choice.
This might be the real story...did you see how he played yesterday...I think he is trying to Sabotage GB by playing crappy and trying not to make the playoffs so the draft pick is not so good. :thumbup:

This is true. Every story that has been released about Favre in the past 6 months has been true. The Lions did not deny it. That pretty much guarantees it's true. This guy's reputation is falling off a cliff. It's one thing to be mad at the organization. It's another to stick it to the fans and your former teammates and friends by trying to feed information to a team you have no affiliation with. Favre played with several guys on the Packers for 10 years. To try and screw them over some petty argument that you have with the GM is completely classless.

Users who are viewing this thread