What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official Week 8 Waiver Wire ** (1 Viewer)

speedball

Footballguy
Looks like there is a lot to choose from this week on the wire. Please try to keep the "Can I play in your league?" comments to a minimum.

Mewelde Moore - 20/120/2, 5 Rec/14/1

Outstanding work filling in for FWP. Will FWP be back next week, or is his knee issue more serious than originally thought?

Mike Furrey - 6/89

Will we see a return to the Furrey of 2006?

Javon Walker - 5/75/1

Is the passing game finally starting to come around, or is this just a case of a blind squirrel finding a nut?

Ahman Green - 14/62/1, 1 Rec/3

Has Green returned from oblivion to become a potential bye-week starter?

Aaron Stecker - 2/10, 1 Rec/5 and Pierre Thomas - 1/2

With Bush out, will one of these two take the majority of Bush's carries, or will it become a 3-headed monster between McAllister/Stecker/Thomas?

Josh Morgan - 5/86/1

Will he emerge as the SF WR to own, or was this just his week?

Donnie Avery - 5/65/1, 1 Rush/7

Fantasy-wise, is Avery the St. Louis WR to own rather than Holt?

Cedric Benson - 14/52, 1 Rec/10

A starting RB is a starting RB, even on a team as bad as this. Will Watson eventually work into the mix?

Malcolm Floyd - 4/65/1

Will he be worth anything once Chambers is healthy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pierre Thomas

Damon Huard

Justin Fargas

Kevin Smith

I'm also curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Donnie Avery.

What is the status of Antonio Pittman? Has he been inactive due to ineffectiveness or injury?

Great initial post, speedball. Way to kick off the waiver thread. Very nice summary.

I rank 'em:

QB:

Benson

Stecker

Pierre Thomas

WR:

Furrey

Avery

We'll see... still more football to go, but once again I'm forced to plug holes in the ship due to injury... man, this gets old.

What is the status of Antonio Pittman? Has he been inactive due to ineffectiveness or injury?
Per Yahoo:"Oct 16 RB Antonio Pittman (leg), who did some limited work in practice Wednesday, did not participate Thursday with the team in full pads. Pittman is expected to be able to play Oct. 26 against New England."IIRC, he looked decent during camp and was the no. 2 behind SJax.

Great initial post, speedball. Way to kick off the waiver thread. Very nice summary.I rank 'em: QB: BensonSteckerPierre ThomasWR:FurreyAveryWe'll see... still more football to go, but once again I'm forced to plug holes in the ship due to injury... man, this gets old.
Your league is a lot more lenient than mine at the QB position.

Furrey don't have much value IMHO.

He had a good match up today and didn't do much. Orlovsky is not a starting NFL QB. He's the third WR on a bad offense with a below average QB

Great initial post, speedball. Way to kick off the waiver thread. Very nice summary.I rank 'em: QB: BensonSteckerPierre ThomasWR:FurreyAveryWe'll see... still more football to go, but once again I'm forced to plug holes in the ship due to injury... man, this gets old.
:banned:Agree that he hot pickups tonight will be Stecker, Pierre Thomas, Leonard, Minor, Pittman - but let's also look at the Jets' backup WRs, And Dustin Keller takes a big bump if Cotch/Coles/Franks miss time (and it appears Franks is done).

Great initial post, speedball. Way to kick off the waiver thread. Very nice summary.

I rank 'em:

QB:

Benson

Stecker

Pierre Thomas

WR:

Furrey

Avery

We'll see... still more football to go, but once again I'm forced to plug holes in the ship due to injury... man, this gets old.
:rolleyes: Agree that he hot pickups tonight will be Stecker, Pierre Thomas, Leonard, Minor, Pittman - but let's also look at the Jets' backup WRs, And Dustin Keller takes a big bump if Cotch/Coles/Franks miss time (and it appears Franks is done).
Leonard's on IR.

I like Furrey because I don't think Shaun MacDonald has shown enough in his career to warrant his status. Calvin is going to draw such insane double and triple coverage because its so apparent that he's the guy to stop on that team that it will leave Furrey open for the underneath garbage time passing. Which from the looks of the gutty motor city kitties, will be early and often.

Antonio Bryant - 6/115/1

What happens when Galloway comes back?
Crap did Bryant really just post those numbers? The week after I drop the bum ...Bias aside, I don't think he has a ton of value when Galloway gets back, which I thought was this week?

Who is the go to WR in JAX if Matt Jones is suspended and with M.Walker still out for a while? Reggie Williams? Northcutt? Nobody? Does Jerry Porter arise from the dead?

I am thinking about grabbing Brady Quinn now since my Brad Johnson experiment failed miserably last week.

DA looked bad again and I think it may just be a matter of time. Quinn has far more upside than others that remain on my waiver wire right now such as Frerotte, and Fitzpatrick so might as well add him as my backup.

Cadillac Williams?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Carnell "Cadillac" Williams will return to practice on Wednesday for the first time in 13 months. "All indications are that the Cadillac is ready to come out of the garage and take some runs," HC Jon Gruden said Monday. "I think this guy has a chance to be ready to go quickly. Boy, he could give us a lift."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/10/cadillac-to-ret.html
Seems like he would need a few weeks at least if he is just returning to his first practice in over a year.

Antonio Bryant - 6/115/1

Crap did Bryant really just post those numbers? The week after I drop the bum ...Bias aside, I don't think he has a ton of value when Galloway gets back, which I thought was this week?
Hmm...he's top 15 WR in targets with 55, which is always a good sign. That's almost as many as the #2 and #3 in targets have combined in Tampa Bay (Dunn/Hilliard).

Antonio Bryant - 6/115/1

Hmm...he's top 15 WR in targets with 55, which is always a good sign. That's almost as many as the #2 and #3 in targets have combined in Tampa Bay (Dunn/Hilliard).
he's already been named the starter even after Galloway comes back. He's been very inconsistant but has good value.

Good list!

1) M. Moore. Yes. I like him. Always have. He does have a tendency to get nicked up though, so expect a short ride with him.

2) M. Furrey. No. That teams doesn't have a QB and he is still third and CJ is the strong number 1 who will get the Lion's share of looks.

3) Walker. Big NO. He didn't look that great. Russell is still learning and growing. He will get better but he looked shocked himself when he caught a pass. Guy has lost a step.

4) Green. No.

5) Pierre Thomas or Stecker. Yes, one of them. Problem is we don't know which one yet. Early in the year it was Thomas. Lately it has been Stecker. I think it will be Thomas but who knows? Deuce will be primary beneficiary, but they won't ask him to do it all.

6) Josh Morgan. Big YES. Guy has all the looks of a future stud. Change in coaching today may be a set back though because earlier Nolan had declared him the starter again in front of Johnson.

7) Avery. I like but I haven't seen him play much.

8) Benson. No. Not unless you are desperate to field a HB.

9) Floyd. Yes. He looks really good, has great size and great hands and plays on a team with a good QB. What's not to like?

Who is the go to WR in JAX if Matt Jones is suspended and with M.Walker still out for a while? Reggie Williams? Northcutt? Nobody? Does Jerry Porter arise from the dead?
I would guess Reggie Williams assuming that Walker is still out. Porter has a shot, but I never have been a believer in him.

From one of the Bush injury threads...

(http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=433747)

"(Rotoworld) Orthopedic Dr. James Andrews performed arthroscopic surgery on the medial meniscus in Reggie Bush's left knee Monday. Bush is expected to miss 2-4 weeks.

Analysis: Profootballtalk.com suggests that Bush could miss more time to ensure he's 100%, but the Saints would probably have to start winning for that to be a possibility. "Hopefully (he will be sidelined) on a short-term basis rather than a long-term basis, and it sounds like that's the case," coach Sean Payton said, sounding optimistic. Deuce McAllister will start while Bush is out. Pierre Thomas will get his share of carries."

From Rotoworld, so YMMV, but the first thing I've seen indicating Thomas will take Bush's share of the carries (at least that is how I read that last sentence - maybe they mean Thomas will just see an increase in carries, but not necessarily ALL of Bush's carries).

Last edited by a moderator:
What I need here is for someone to rank:

Stecker

Thomas

A Pittman

Minor

Green-Ellis

Jordan

Faulk

and anyone else I'm not thinking of that could be bursting on the scene here for a few weeks in NO STL and NE.

Stecker

Thomas

A Pittman

Minor

Green-Ellis

Jordan

Faulk

and anyone else I'm not thinking of that could be bursting on the scene here for a few weeks in NO STL and NE.
I'd put the Rams at the bottom, since it looks like SJ will be good to go:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...p;#entry9414818

With the Saints and Patriots, there are just a lot of guys to sort through that could be sharing touches. This means a lot of chances to be wrong on your waiver wire pickup, unless there is clear direction from the coaching staff.

Random thoughts: Kevin Faulk has been real productive with limited touches all year. If his role is expanded a little, I think he will be a great pickup. It's hard to get a feel for Green-Ellis after Monday night, simply because the Broncos D is just so incredibly bad. And Jordan looked good earlier this year, but who knows whats up with his injury.

And, as for the Saints, it would seem that Stecker would fill the pass catching role. And he's another one who has really done a lot when given the opportunity. But then you got the talk that Pierre will be getting Bush's carries, and Deuce already in there...

I think the pick up is Benson, who I predict will have a good game against Houston. He's earned a bad rap, but seems to be running like someone who is trying to prove a world full of doubters wrong.

Antonio Bryant - 6/115/1

per KFFL--AB will keep the job

What does everyone think about the Patriots defense moving forward?

They play the Rams this week.

Stecker

Thomas

A Pittman

Minor

Green-Ellis

Jordan

Faulk

I'd put the Rams at the bottom, since it looks like SJ will be good to go:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...p;#entry9414818

With the Saints and Patriots, there are just a lot of guys to sort through that could be sharing touches. This means a lot of chances to be wrong on your waiver wire pickup, unless there is clear direction from the coaching staff.

Random thoughts: Kevin Faulk has been real productive with limited touches all year. If his role is expanded a little, I think he will be a great pickup. It's hard to get a feel for Green-Ellis after Monday night, simply because the Broncos D is just so incredibly bad. And Jordan looked good earlier this year, but who knows whats up with his injury.

And, as for the Saints, it would seem that Stecker would fill the pass catching role. And he's another one who has really done a lot when given the opportunity. But then you got the talk that Pierre will be getting Bush's carries, and Deuce already in there...

I think the pick up is Benson, who I predict will have a good game against Houston. He's earned a bad rap, but seems to be running like someone who is trying to prove a world full of doubters wrong.
:P Not only can you scratch the STL guys, but apparently Morris wasn't even limping on his way out of the stadium last night, so maybe the NE guys should be scratched too.

In NO, you've got two guys fighting for a part-time role for 2-4 weeks. Hard to get too excited about those prospects either.

I think you've convinced me that Benson is the guy to take a flyer on.

Thoughts on some good bye week defenses as Chicago, Minnesota and GB have byes.

Is NE for real?

Can Jax come back?

Carolina any good?

Benson has upside for Weeks 14-16 when leagues are decided. A lot of FF superbowl rosters in redrafts look pretty bad by the time the Superbowl is actually played. Rosters usually freeze around Week 11 or 12. Thats 4 or 5 more weeks worth of injuries and whatnot until the FF superbowl.

Benson can be had for virtually nothing and it gets pretty bad after Houston this week with the next 4 being Jax, Phi, @ Pit, Bal. So he is not going to help you get to the playoffs.

But stash him as a RB5, then if injuries hit while your roster is frozen, you have a starting RB (that has looked at least serviceable if you can stomach watching Cincy) playing wk 14 at Indy and Week 16 at Cleveland.

Stranger options have helped teams win FF superbowls.

:kicksrock:Agree that he hot pickups tonight will be Stecker, Pierre Thomas, Leonard, Minor, Pittman - but let's also look at the Jets' backup WRs, And Dustin Keller takes a big bump if Cotch/Coles/Franks miss time (and it appears Franks is done).
Not Leonard (Rotoworld): The Rams signed running back Kenneth Darby to replace Brian Leonard, who was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. He'll likely have surgery in the next couple weeks. "His shoulder popped out," said coach Jim Haslett. "He tore some more ligaments and muscles in it, so we thought he could probably do rehab for a couple weeks and could play, but it would probably happen again."(Updated 10/15/2008).Fantasy AnalysisLeonard is no longer a low-end handcuff for Steven Jackson (Antonio Pittman is). Darby was a candidate for playing time in Tampa Bay last year but has since been cut and bounced around the league, landing on the Falcons' practice squad until now. He's also not worth owning at this time.

Antonio Bryant - 6/115/1

Antonio Bryant has performed well enough in the place of the injured Joey Galloway that he appears likely to hold onto the starting split end job even when Galloway returns."I'm not going to move him at this point in time," said coach Jon Gruden. Bryant has established himself as a solid fantasy contributor and has the potential to contribute even with a healthy Galloway.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Who is the better dynasty league prospect (excluding this season) in a deep league, Green-Ellis or Chaz Shillinz?

Users who are viewing this thread