What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Barack Obama FBG campaign headquarters *** (2 Viewers)

Could someone let me know when it becomes safe to take Statorama off ignore? TIA.
:goodposting: i was thinking the same thing
How did your voter protection go yesterday? Mine was mostly uneventful, though I'd like to take credit for delivering Indiana to Obama.
I still can't believe Indiana went blue. I remember vividly as a kid watching the presidential elections in 76, 80, 84......when Indiana would be the first state to go red. Never thought I'd see this day. I'll have to see if my parents voted for Obama. I doubt it, but you never know.
My stepfather waited in line for 3-1/2 hours to vote for Obama in Indiana. I'm especially proud of him today. :football:

I called BO nomination after Super Tuesday. The math did not favor HRC regardless of whatever events followed those days. I'm ready to call the general election for BO. The way the polls are breaking and the way the general mood of the country is WRT the economy and how foreign policy has not become the referendum here makes it impossible for me to see how JM can win this in any situation. At this point the worst case I can see for BO is 290 or so.

The "east coast" comment by Palin shows everything IMO. It's just that the east coast represents some 170+ votes for BO. They've conceded both coasts with the exception of SC and GA. Hell even backwards West Virginia is now looking to tip to BO.

The way I see it he's got almost certainly

170 east coast and new england votes (~150 worst case, ~180 best case)

78 west coast votes (mortal lock)

All he has to do is hang onto IL and pick up just one or two midwest states and it's over.

If I had to set a vegas line at this point I'd put it somewhere Obama by 140.

I've supported him for awhile. I "worked" for him down in TX during the primaries and I'm a little lukewarm on some of his stuff. I'm really lukewarm on Biden, but the way he's handled himself makes me think that he will be able to really get some quality work done right away. He's already talking cabinet privately and the people that are being mentioned are some of the strongest I've seen. No "good old boy" network to be found.
That is exactly what we need - a collection of the best and the brightest as opposed to the 8 years of cronyism we're approaching the (hopeful) end of. I'd love to see Sam Nunn somewhere in that cabinet, perhaps as SOD.
I'd think Hillery Clinton as AG in the second would be a bigger steal than Nunn.
Well, even publicly he's said HRC might actually best serve as AG. Gates is a near lock in my mind to stay on as SOD. Nunn for SOS perhaps?
I see no reason Gates would be SOD. None. I would also be shocked if Nunn was in the cabinet.
I talk out of my ### a ton, but was dead on with this one.

dantheman8417 said:
But I will say that I think the civil rights angle does him a great disservice. To say that this victory is somehow heightened by the fact that he is a black man is, to me, a slap in the face to his incredible openness and inclusive nature.
It's not a disservice to enjoy seeing a black man elected to the presidency of the US after that country enslaved men of his color not too long ago. It's not a disservice for all black men and women today to look at him as a sign of hope, as a beacon of what they can accomplish if they try hard enough. It's not a slap in the face to those people who look at what he's accomplished and been energized by it.It's not a central theme of his presidency, it's not why I voted for him, it's not what's most important overall, but it's certainly worthy of attention, admiration, and approval that in this country, with our history, with all the people that fought for exactly the opportunity Obama took advantage of...that the highest office in the land is filled by an african american.Sit back, enjoy, smile, pour out a bit for those who gave their lives for such a thing to be possible, put the cap back on the liquor, wipe your mouth, stand up, and let's all get to work together to fix this country.

dantheman8417 said:
But I will say that I think the civil rights angle does him a great disservice. To say that this victory is somehow heightened by the fact that he is a black man is, to me, a slap in the face to his incredible openness and inclusive nature.
It's not a disservice to enjoy seeing a black man elected to the presidency of the US after that country enslaved men of his color not too long ago. It's not a disservice for all black men and women today to look at him as a sign of hope, as a beacon of what they can accomplish if they try hard enough. It's not a slap in the face to those people who look at what he's accomplished and been energized by it.It's not a central theme of his presidency, it's not why I voted for him, it's not what's most important overall, but it's certainly worthy of attention, admiration, and approval that in this country, with our history, with all the people that fought for exactly the opportunity Obama took advantage of...that the highest office in the land is filled by an african american.Sit back, enjoy, smile, pour out a bit for those who gave their lives for such a thing to be possible, put the cap back on the liquor, wipe your mouth, stand up, and let's all get to work together to fix this country.
Well, to be honest with you, I don't believe that racism is any less in this country than it was two days ago. I don't see it ever changing sadly. His campaign to me was never about the idea that blacks and whites can come together, but that we are all one people just the same and can win out over the evils of this society. If he had framed his campaign about race relations with the same intensity that Martin Luther King had, I might buy this stuff, but he didn't. I didn't mean to say that people are wrong to celebrate it though. If that's what I had conveyed to you, my apologies, but the success of his campaign certainly had a lot more to do with his personality than any sort of civil rights movement. I think there's a pretty thin line between celebrating race and voting for someone because of race. And if people voted for him because he's black or McCain because he is white, I think that's a shame. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, to be honest with you, I don't believe that racism is any less in this country than it was two days ago.
Forty years ago, it would have been unthinkable for a black man to be elected President. If you read through the early part of this thread, even two years ago there were people seriously questioning whether it was possible this year.So no, race relations aren't any better today than they were two days ago. But this election stands as proof of how far we as a country have come.

I dont pretend to know anything about politics, so I have a question...

When can we expect changes? Will it take days, weeks, months, years? Just trying to get a gauge here.

I dont pretend to know anything about politics, so I have a question...When can we expect changes? Will it take days, weeks, months, years? Just trying to get a gauge here.
Depends on what kind of change you're talking about. We have some already, we'll have more within weeks, still more within the first 6 months, and more during the first year and subsequent years.It'll be gradual in some degrees, rapid in others, and some others might not be accomplished.

Well, to be honest with you, I don't believe that racism is any less in this country than it was two days ago.
Forty years ago, it would have been unthinkable for a black man to be elected President. If you read through the early part of this thread, even two years ago there were people seriously questioning whether it was possible this year.So no, race relations aren't any better today than they were two days ago. But this election stands as proof of how far we as a country have come.
Fair enough.

I dont pretend to know anything about politics, so I have a question...When can we expect changes? Will it take days, weeks, months, years? Just trying to get a gauge here.
Excellent question.Some changes will come in days. Some changes will take weeks, some will take months, some even years.HTH

This is a good posting. As generations pass and young people start to shed the racist views of our forefathers, racial hate starts to dissapate. I mentioned in another thread that my gramps in Kentucky wouldn't vote for Obama because Obama's a Muslim. My wife's dad came from New Orleans. Suffice it to say that New Orleans is not the mecca of racial harmony. The wife and I have a lot of racist blood flowing in our veins, but that has eroded with this generation.

Are you asking when you will see the changes made or are you asking when you will see the effects of the changes? The first depends on how all the little politicians play with each other in the sessions going forward. I give 4 years for the second. So I look a lot at what happened in 2004 to see why we are where we are today. It's sorta like giving a CFB coach 5 years to get his players, make his changes THEN judging his progress. There are some changes in direction that have longer lasting effects and some that have smaller effects, but in general I use 4 years.

Depends on what kind of change you're talking about. We have some already, we'll have more within weeks, still more within the first 6 months, and more during the first year and subsequent years.It'll be gradual in some degrees, rapid in others, and some others might not be accomplished.
Excellent question.Some changes will come in days. Some changes will take weeks, some will take months, some even years.HTH
I am talking big changes...Troops getting yanked....is that gonna happen?Healthcare getting government regulation....When do I get my gas cards and my mortgage gift certificates?? (Kidding)

I don't dare bring it up in the Palin thread, but probably should.

What if that stevens guy gets in and then is kicked out by the senate and she names herself senator? Could easily be looking at one of the primary candidates in that place. If the Dem goes on to serve it's probably last we ever hear of her.

GOP has to be looking at possible replacements in next months really. Presidential election cycles are 46 months now. Jindal seems to be the most talked about name.

I supported Obama both in the Democratic primary and in the general election. But when he won the primary, I voiced an uneasiness about how fervent the crowd was when he gave his acceptance speech. Kind of cult-like. I expressed my view pretty clumsily. I think Terrance Chan said it a bit better today:

Most of the worst politicians and figures in history have been charismatic individuals. I fear charismatic politicians. When it comes to a position of power, I'd much rather have a guy with just so-so charisma; someone that people like but aren't entranced by. Obama creates this wave of excitement and fervor everywhere he goes. It's probably just me, but I'm genuinely scared when I see massive, massive throngs of people gathering to hail any one man as the messiah and saviour and the great bringer of change and bearer of hope. People have always showed up to political rallies to support and cheer for their candidate, but Obama supporters seemed particularly fervent. And today, when his win was made official, people were so ####### happy. There's this great sense of pride among Americans that they elected Obama. And all of that is scary to me. Because at the end of the day, he's still a politician. He and his ilk are still going to take away liberties, still spend other peoples' money, and still make up laws to benefit some at the expense of others. He will say things he doesn't believe or are grounded in fallacy, and he will say them with a straight face because they are the popular things to say. He will do these things because he is a politician, and that's what politicians do.

But still, yeah, I'm glad the election is over, and I'm glad the less-sucky of the two mainstream politicians won. I suppose I'm just less glad than everyone else.

krista4 said:
Could someone let me know when it becomes safe to take Statorama off ignore? TIA.
:hophead: i was thinking the same thing
How did your voter protection go yesterday? Mine was mostly uneventful, though I'd like to take credit for delivering Indiana to Obama.
I still can't believe Indiana went blue. I remember vividly as a kid watching the presidential elections in 76, 80, 84......when Indiana would be the first state to go red. Never thought I'd see this day. I'll have to see if my parents voted for Obama. I doubt it, but you never know.
My stepfather waited in line for 3-1/2 hours to vote for Obama in Indiana. I'm especially proud of him today. :mellow:
what city?

I'm really curious if Obama is going to continue to engage his organization of volunteers. If he sent out an email asking for people to call or send letters to their Senator to pressure them on a particular bill, how many people do you think would actually do it?

If he sent out an email asking people to stay involved and listed a ton of organizations, both national and local, that needed volunteers and donations to keep their agenda moving forward, how many would keep expending their energy and money, and how many would delete it thinking that they'd already gotten their guy into the White House and so nothing more was necessary?

I'm really curious if Obama is going to continue to engage his organization of volunteers. If he sent out an email asking for people to call or send letters to their Senator to pressure them on a particular bill, how many people do you think would actually do it?If he sent out an email asking people to stay involved and listed a ton of organizations, both national and local, that needed volunteers and donations to keep their agenda moving forward, how many would keep expending their energy and money, and how many would delete it thinking that they'd already gotten their guy into the White House and so nothing more was necessary?
I would be willing to help some more. I've long said that I don't respecct people who complain about politicians but don't vote or participate in the process. So this would be my chance to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm really curious if Obama is going to continue to engage his organization of volunteers. If he sent out an email asking for people to call or send letters to their Senator to pressure them on a particular bill, how many people do you think would actually do it?If he sent out an email asking people to stay involved and listed a ton of organizations, both national and local, that needed volunteers and donations to keep their agenda moving forward, how many would keep expending their energy and money, and how many would delete it thinking that they'd already gotten their guy into the White House and so nothing more was necessary?
I would be willing to help some more. I've long said that I don't respecct people who complain about politicians but don't vote or participate in the process. So this would be my chance to put my money where my mouth is.
Likewise. I said in another thread that he'll use the database of supporters, and maybe even expand it if he chooses to, in order to effect certain changes. I'm not sure exactly what this will look like, and I doubt he knows himself, but I look forward to finding out.If he's looking for people interested in teaching who come from a science/math background, and he'd be willing to increase pay...I'd listen.

Likewise. I said in another thread that he'll use the database of supporters, and maybe even expand it if he chooses to, in order to effect certain changes. I'm not sure exactly what this will look like, and I doubt he knows himself, but I look forward to finding out.If he's looking for people interested in teaching who come from a science/math background, and he'd be willing to increase pay...I'd listen.
I would think that a network of letter-writing on Congressional issues would be a great place to start.

krista4 said:
:popcorn: i was thinking the same thing
My stepfather waited in line for 3-1/2 hours to vote for Obama in Indiana. I'm especially proud of him today. :lmao:
what city?
New Albany. Southern Indiana, suburb of Louisville.

I hope he proves to be the moderate uniter his supporters claimed him to be.
I hope we are right, but am pretty confident that we are. It's all about his general philosophy (United States rather than red/blue as laid out time and time again) and common sense pragmatic problem solving.

I supported Obama both in the Democratic primary and in the general election. But when he won the primary, I voiced an uneasiness about how fervent the crowd was when he gave his acceptance speech. Kind of cult-like. I expressed my view pretty clumsily. I think Terrance Chan said it a bit better today:
Not sure I can buy into this. Would you have feared JFK or MLK?
If we start seeing Obama murals on the sides of buildings I'll start to worry.

I don't know if it was in this thread or another one, but somebody asked how long it would take before we started seeing real change.

The answer is that we didn't have to wait long at all. Here is a pretty drastic change:

Robert Novak on on Nov. 6, 2004 after Bush won a narrow victory:

Q: Bob Novak, is 51 percent of the vote really a mandate?

NOVAK: Of course it is. It's a 3.5 million vote margin.
Robert Novak on Nov. 5, 2008:
But Obama's win was nothing like [FDR's, when his opponent won only two states]. He may have opened the door to enactment of the long-deferred liberal agenda, but he neither received a broad mandate from the public nor the needed large congressional majorities.

Not sure I can buy into this. Would you have feared JFK or MLK?
If we start seeing Obama murals on the sides of buildings I'll start to worry.
Obama mural on the side of a building.

I don't know if it was in this thread or another one, but somebody asked how long it would take before we started seeing real change.

The answer is that we didn't have to wait long at all. Here is a pretty drastic change:

But Obama's win was nothing like [FDR's, when his opponent won only two states]. He may have opened the door to enactment of the long-deferred liberal agenda, but he neither received a broad mandate from the public nor the needed large congressional majorities.
It was me who asked...I dont understand what you are saying above...

Apparently the margin for a mandate has changed already.

Paraphrasing Jon Stewart; to be fair though, Bob Novak is a lying sack of ####.

WOW, I am lost....so you no longer need 2/3rds for a supermajority??
What does this have to do with whether Obama has a mandate?
WTF IS A MANDATE....I stated when I popped into this thread, I dont pretend to know anything about politics. I need to be treated like a moron....please feel free to explain any big words to me. Thanks.
A mandate is when the most people that have ever voted show up and put you into office with a large number of votes over your rival. Right now I believe we are looking at an 8 million vote gap. And there are still votes being counted. We are looking at a serious EV win regardless. This win was a mandate on we want something different. Now we'll see what Barak delivers.

What mandate, you do realize that more people voted against Obama than for him, right???

WOW, I am lost....so you no longer need 2/3rds for a supermajority??
What does this have to do with whether Obama has a mandate?
WTF IS A MANDATE....I stated when I popped into this thread, I dont pretend to know anything about politics. I need to be treated like a moron....please feel free to explain any big words to me. Thanks.
A mandate is when the most people that have ever voted show up and put you into office with a large number of votes over your rival. Right now I believe we are looking at an 8 million vote gap. And there are still votes being counted. We are looking at a serious EV win regardless. This win was a mandate on we want something different. Now we'll see what Barak delivers.
Now THIS is what I came in here to learn....thanks guy

What mandate, you do realize that more people voted against Obama than for him, right???
Eh?

Read my quote in the context of MT's posting.

Spell it out for us.

How do you figure?

Users who are viewing this thread