What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

An Alternative to Overtime (1 Viewer)

I've seen several options discussed to improve the overtime system, including the idea of awarding a win to the team that scores 6 points. I am not sure if this would mean the first to win by 6 or the first to score 6 points. Thinking about this recently, I thought a good idea would be a first to win by 4 points. This could compel teams to try to score a touchdown on the initial drive. If the team kicked a field goal instead, the receiving team could then attempt to score a touchdown instead of a field goal in order to win by 4. I think this would reduce the value of the coin flip immensely and make for some strategic decision and "edge of your seat" football.

Thoughts?

I've seen several options discussed to improve the overtime system, including the idea of awarding a win to the team that scores 6 points. I am not sure if this would mean the first to win by 6 or the first to score 6 points. Thinking about this recently, I thought a good idea would be a first to win by 4 points. This could compel teams to try to score a touchdown on the initial drive. If the team kicked a field goal instead, the receiving team could then attempt to score a touchdown instead of a field goal in order to win by 4. I think this would reduce the value of the coin flip immensely and make for some strategic decision and "edge of your seat" football.Thoughts?
I like it...I always thought that both teams should have a chance to put points on the board.

IMO, the best option is to just play a full 15 minute period and let the chips fall where they may. If a team scores 3 TD and the other nothing, oh well. If it ends in a tie, oh well.

IMO, the best option is to just play a full 15 minute period and let the chips fall where they may. If a team scores 3 TD and the other nothing, oh well. If it ends in a tie, oh well.
The game can end in a tie? :jawdrop:
Games ended in ties all the time in the old days. Regular season overtime was not incorporated until 1974. How many quarters are played in the NFL where both teams score exactly the same amount of points?

The game can end in a tie? :thumbdown:
Games ended in ties all the time in the old days. Regular season overtime was not incorporated until 1974. How many quarters are played in the NFL where both teams score exactly the same amount of points?
:whoosh:

The game can end in a tie? :whoosh:
:suds:
:thumbdown:

The game can end in a tie? :confused:
:lmao:
The point was that if teams played a full 15 minute overtime, how often do teams play each other exactly even in any given quarter (since OT = 1 quarter of football)?

:wub:
The point was that if teams played a full 15 minute overtime, how often do teams play each other exactly even in any given quarter (since OT = 1 quarter of football)?
hmmm...double :whoosh: or am i just missing somethin?

Donovan McNabb down?

a ####load?

So you are saying a game can end in a tie? :whoosh:

Never heard of this idea, but I like it, a lot. Of course, won't happen, but I like it.

I say no overtime. Continue the fourth quarter until one team wins.

No coin toss, no kickoff, no extra timeouts. Just keep playing with the clock expired until someone scores.

David Yudkin said:
This makes alot of sense when you give it some thought. Team A scores a touchdown in overtime. Team B scores a touchdown later, and it is more than likely they will go for 2, instead of kicking an extra point. The only reason alot of teams kick the extra point in regulation at the end of games, is because they know they will have a chance to win the game in overtime.Sudden death is something that needs to be eliminated, just play a whole quarter and give each team opportunities to score and if the game ends in a tie than so be it. I personally don't think too many games would end tied this way.

-baller said:
David Yudkin said:
Avery said:
comfortably numb said:
David Yudkin said:
Avery said:
David Yudkin said:
The game can end in a tie? :shrug:
:lmao:
:goodposting:
a ####load?
:unsure:That is probably the worst thing the NFL could do.

"first to score 4 points" = "no team will ever attempt a field goal"

May as well just ban field goals, then.

David Yudkin said:
Since 1994, 23% of all games have been tied at the end of one quarter.Possibly a more relevant estimate is this: since 1994, 17% of all games that were tied at the end of three quarters ended up being tied at the end of regulation

David Yudkin said:
Since 1994, 23% of all games have been tied at the end of one quarter.Possibly a more relevant estimate is this: since 1994, 17% of all games that were tied at the end of three quarters ended up being tied at the end of regulation
What % of games were tied after 3 quarters?

David Yudkin said:
About 6%

David Yudkin said:
About 6%
How about games that went into overtime?If we expected the same rate of being tied at 17% of games that went to OT, that couldn't amount to many times each season if they played a full 15 minute overtime session.

I say no overtime. Continue the fourth quarter until one team wins. No coin toss, no kickoff, no extra timeouts. Just keep playing with the clock expired until someone scores.
Luv'd a few ideas but this is the best
Actually that is horrible. If teams were tied with 2 minutes left, the team with the ball would not need to hurry up. I think they should play a full quarter or at least allow for an equal number of possessions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say no overtime. Continue the fourth quarter until one team wins. No coin toss, no kickoff, no extra timeouts. Just keep playing with the clock expired until someone scores.
Luv'd a few ideas but this is the best
Actually that is horrible. If teams were tied with 2 minutes left, the team with the ball would not need to hurry up. I think they should play a full quarter or at least allow for an equal number of possessions.
I agree with you, this is a horrible idea. Hurry up offense and clock management down the stretch (or clock mismanagement as the case may be) is one of the most exciting things in football and is often times what separates the good players/coaches from the great ones. Taking away the clock in the 4th quarter would definitely take away from football, not add to it.ETA: I like the first to 4 idea. I actually do not believe that equates to getting rid of field goals either, and for some defensive teams I think it is quite the opposite. If a team got themselves in field goal range and had a 4th and 9 or something with a great defense, why would they not kick the field goal and trust that they can keep the other team out of the endzone. By doing so they could then win by getting into field goal position one more time. I think it is a solid idea and keeps us out of the college way of things (which is good in its own right).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the first team to 6 points wins the game... if the period runs out, whoever is in the lead wins the game... it is still tied, then it is a tie

Im surprised about how many people here have no problem with there being ties.

Why not have the cheerleaders wrestle for the win? How could that not be something that would not only be fair, but be interesting TV?

Why? What is wrong with a tie?If a team cannot score more points than their opponent in 75 minutes of game play... does one team deserve a "W" and another an "L"?
Why should it matter if a team deserves to win or not? Every week teams that don't deserve to win the game end up victorious. A tie sucks plain and simple.

Milwalkeysbeast said:
just make it like high school - each team has 4 downs to score from the 20. Round and round it goes until someone blinks
:fishing: Please God don't let the NFL ever do this.

Why? What is wrong with a tie?If a team cannot score more points than their opponent in 75 minutes of game play... does one team deserve a "W" and another an "L"?
Why should it matter if a team deserves to win or not? Every week teams that don't deserve to win the game end up victorious. A tie sucks plain and simple.
I used to think ties were dumb too. Then it hit me. Why should a team get a W after not proving they're better during 60 minutes of regulation? What is the point of an endless game just to show 1 team is "better"? Why even have a game clock.Remember regular season ties can still happen after 1 qtr of overtime, so why bother having overtime and just end in a tie in the first place. Saves wear and tear on players in this violent sport.Playoff games obviously need overtime. I like the "win by 4" format better than sudden death.

Playing a full 15 min qtr of OT WILL NEVER happen. The NFL & Players Union care about injuries. Injury risk increases when players are fatigued. Starters are usually pretty gassed after 60 minutes of football.

I do like the win by 6 myself, although it is doubtful per the above reason.

Right now there is no real decided advantage, close to a 50/50 split so the NFL doesn't see the system as broken.

The college/high school approach is much too like Arena Ball. I'd rather they scrap OT entirely than adopt that rinky dink system.

Right now there is no real decided advantage, close to a 50/50 split so the NFL doesn't see the system as broken.
The only part of the system that I see being "broken" is the coin toss thing. I'm not saying I have a solution but anytime a team can win a suddeen death overtime and the opponent never even saw the ball I have a problem with that.I know I know, some will say "maybe their defense should have stopped them" but when only one possession can happen and a game is decided that stinks. Imagine if a baseball game went to extra innings and if the first team up to bat scored, the game was over. Sudden death right? If the defense couldn't stop them in the NFL why couldn't the pitcher stop them in baseball? I like the "just don't allow kickers in overtime" idea honestly. No field goals and only two point conversions allowed. But honestly, that would just make overtime games take longer.

Ties during the regular season are fine if neither team can win the game.

Do away with OT altogether.

If you want to decrease the chance of a tie at the end of regulation, do away with PAT and require a 2pt conversion attempt after all TDs.

Your assumption is the existing rules are flawed. I disagree.

Using the recent Patriots/Jets game, New England's defense had a golden opportunity to stop the Jets and establish excellent field position. They failed and lost the game. The fact they never had "the ball" is irrelevant. Football is a strategic battle of field position involving offense, defense and special teams. To decide an overtime game with a different set of rules is a mistake.

Your assumption is the existing rules are flawed. I disagree.Using the recent Patriots/Jets game, New England's defense had a golden opportunity to stop the Jets and establish excellent field position. They failed and lost the game. The fact they never had "the ball" is irrelevant. Football is a strategic battle of field position involving offense, defense and special teams. To decide an overtime game with a different set of rules is a mistake.
So does the NCAA and high school have it wrong? How come the NFL is the only level of football to use these rules?

Users who are viewing this thread