What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Officially Unofficial FBG Post-season Kicker Contest! (1 Viewer)

12 of 29 are in the books.

1st - bro1ncos - 10.1
2nd - Dark Matter - 14.6
3rd - Mitchie - 27.1

Something tells me none of those will finish in the top 3.

12 of 29 are in the books.

1st - bro1ncos - 10.1
2nd - Dark Matter - 14.6
3rd - Mitchie - 27.1

Something tells me none of those will finish in the top 3.
Welllll .... 7 more down. Just 10 to go. And those top two are still #1 and #2. But Gottabesweet pulls into 3rd place with 24.3. Can't imagine 10.1 could really win it! But it's becoming more plausible.

ETA: This is my officially unofficial scoring for the officially unofficial contest.

After last night's game, top two are still the same, but Leroy Hoard pulls into 3rd place.

1st - bro1ncos - 10.1
2nd - Dark Matter - 14.6
3rd - Leroy Hoard - 15.5

#officiallyunofficial

Finally getting some potentially good scores here.

Currently ...

BassNBrew leads, mid-game, with 2.8.
Then SoBeDad, also mid-game, with 2.9.
Then Itnoratio Elenchi, also mid-game, with 3.0.

Oh and after this game the only participant left is -OZ- with McLaughlin tonight.

Currently ...

Oh and after this game the only participant left is -OZ- with McLaughlin tonight.
So, based on my count these are the prospective winners. Only -OZ- with McLaughlin (7.4, 44) tonight can knock those three any lower than #1, 2, 3.

#officiallyunofficial

Fun little nugget here:

The top 11 participants' kickers were, in order:

Boswell
Boswell
Boswell
Bass
Boswell
Bass
Butker
Butker
Badgley
Badgley
Bass

And the remaining 18 participants all had non-B named kickers.

(-OZ- still tbd, of course)

Currently ...

So, based on my count these are the prospective winners.

:excited:

3rd place and beyond will receive nothing but scorn and ridicule from everyone at FBG, and shall hang their heads in shame for all time. Wearing a scarlet letter is an individual choice, and optional, but encouraged.

:kicksrock:

haha this would be a fitting finish considering i didn't really understand the rules when i posted. amazing it's so close.

Currently ...

3rd place and beyond will receive nothing but scorn and ridicule from everyone at FBG, and shall hang their heads in shame for all time. Wearing a scarlet letter is an individual choice, and optional, but encouraged.

haha this would be a fitting finish considering i didn't really understand the rules when i posted. amazing it's so close.
Oh, shoot, sorry, haha. I honestly was thinking third place got some small prize or else I would've only listed top two! Don't know why I was thinking that.

Currently ...

I love when others do the work for me since I’m lazy. :)

Currently ...

I love when others do the work for me since I’m lazy. :)
As long as some time is allowed for anyone to chime in if they think this is incorrect. I used a spreadsheet, but I could have plugged a number in wrong or something.

Currently ...

What also sucks is you're 0.2 away from first place and you were #1 in the timestamp tiebreaker 😭 But not too shabby for not understanding the rules.

I just want to make sure I understand the scoring correctly. I predicted Bass with 11.7 pts and a long of 49 yds

Bass scored 6.5 pts (4 xpts + 4.5 pts (45 yd FG) minus 2 pts for 2 missed FG's). So my score is (11.7-6.5) plus (49-45) for a total of 9.2

Is that correct?

I just want to make sure I understand the scoring correctly. I predicted Bass with 11.7 pts and a long of 49 yds

Bass scored 6.5 pts (4 xpts + 4.5 pts (45 yd FG) minus 2 pts for 2 missed FG's). So my score is (11.7-6.5) plus (49-45) for a total of 9.2

Is that correct?
Bass had 4 XP (4) and a 45 yard FG (4.5) = 8.5.

You guessed 11.7 total points, a 3.2 point difference.

you guessed a long of 49, his long was 45, for a 4 point difference.

Total differential of 7.2

2 MFG = 2 penalty points added to the differential.

Your total differential was 9.2 points.

Apologies if the penalty points were confusing. I may not have explained that well since I expressed it as negative scoring. Penalty points are intended to hurt, not help anyone’s score.

Is that correct?

Apologies if the penalty points were confusing. I may not have explained that well since I expressed it as negative scoring. Penalty points are intended to hurt, not help anyone’s score.
Ohhh! I had no idea. I thought the points came off of the kicker's score. My bad, everybody. Glad I specified my scoring was officially unofficial.

Is that correct?

So I got it right. Nice.......other than the score being bad......

Is that correct?

Nailed it.

Sorry folks - work demanded I put this on hold for a coupe of hours. I have half in a spreadsheet & will finish it up when I get home from deliveries/post office in a bit.

Is that correct?

So based on my new understand of the rules, you got the correct answer using the wrong method (the same wrong method I was using for scoring). When you're off in the "over" direction on the points guess (as yours was), the missed FG's/PAT's give the same result whether you score it the wrong way or the right way. That is to say, the correct scoring says "those misses have no effect on your kicker's score, but they hurt your final score with the penalty of x points," while the incorrect scoring says, "you receive no penalty on your final score, but those misses hurt your kicker's score, which makes your guess further off by x points."

Either way you read it, it comes out the same.

Whereas, if your points guess was off in the "under" direction (by an amount of x or greater), the two rule interpretations have opposite effects. The correct scoring says the misses hurt your final score by x, but the incorrect scoring says the misses reduce your kicker's score by x, which gets you x points closer.

So based on my new understand of the rules, you got the correct answer using the wrong method (the same wrong method I was using for scoring). When you're off in the "over" direction on the points guess (as yours was), the missed FG's/PAT's give the same result whether you score it the wrong way or the right way. That is to say, the correct scoring says "those misses have no effect on your kicker's score, but they hurt your final score with the penalty of x points," while the incorrect scoring says, "you receive no penalty on your final score, but those misses hurt your kicker's score, which makes your guess further off by x points."

Whereas, if your points guess was off in the "under" direction (by an amount of x or greater), the two rule interpretations have opposite effects. The correct scoring says the misses hurt your final score by x, but the incorrect scoring says the misses reduce your kicker's score by x, which gets you x points closer.
Hmm........Interesting. I figured my initial guess wrong then because when I was figuring the points for the kicker I was taking the misses as losing points for the kicker and figured that in accordingly. I didn't think it counted against your score at the end.

For example, to come up with 11.7 pts. I thought he would make 4 xpts, 38 yd FG, 49 yd FG and a missed FG bringing the total to 11.7 pts. So even if that happened I would then have a score of being two points off instead of exactly correct as I was predicting. Crazy.
Here’s how it works - pick a kicker. He’s your pony.
• Guess how many total points your kicker will score to 1 decimal place (51 yards = 5.1 points) including PATs (at 1 point per PAT)
• Guess the long for your kicker.
• Negative scoring applies. A MPAT = -3 points. Because cmon dude. A missed FG of any distance = -1 point.
• There are no cheat codes. A K on an active roster who’s hurt and expected to score 0 is not a valid entry. All entries must be greater than 0 points.
Also your guy must have at least 1 successful non-PAT FG to qualify.
• closest guesses to both of these metrics wins.
For me, the key is the bold. It references the two metrics. Kicker points (which should include the minuses for the missed kicks since....you know, the kicker missed the kicks so his point totals should go down) as one metric and then the yardage metric for the longest FG. It doesn't say then subtract any points for the misses the kicker made at the end bringing in a third metric (misses).

Hey, I am not trying to fight this at all. I am just clarifying the way I read the rules and seeing now that this could be a very interesting difference.

Hmm........Interesting. I figured my initial guess wrong then because when I was figuring the points for the kicker I was taking the misses as losing points for the kicker and figured that in accordingly. I didn't think it counted against your score at the end.

For example, to come up with 11.7 pts. I thought he would make 4 xpts, 38 yd FG, 49 yd FG and a missed FG bringing the total to 11.7 pts. So even if that happened I would then have a score of being two points off instead of exactly correct as I was predicting. Crazy.
Here’s how it works - pick a kicker. He’s your pony.
• Guess how many total points your kicker will score to 1 decimal place (51 yards = 5.1 points) including PATs (at 1 point per PAT)
• Guess the long for your kicker.
• Negative scoring applies. A MPAT = -3 points. Because cmon dude. A missed FG of any distance = -1 point.
• There are no cheat codes. A K on an active roster who’s hurt and expected to score 0 is not a valid entry. All entries must be greater than 0 points.
Also your guy must have at least 1 successful non-PAT FG to qualify.
• closest guesses to both of these metrics wins.
For me, the key is the bold. It references the two metrics. Kicker points (which should include the minuses for the missed kicks since....you know, the kicker missed the kicks so his point totals should go down) as one metric and then the yardage metric for the longest FG. It doesn't say then subtract any points for the misses the kicker made at the end bringing in a third metric (misses).

Hey, I am not trying to fight this at all. I am just clarifying the way I read the rules and seeing now that this could be a very interesting difference.
That's a good point. Likewise, though I disagree with the wording, I wouldn't fight it even if it were the difference between me winning and losing. Hot Sauce Guy hosts the contest, so it's his rules and his ruling, and frankly that's how it should be. More clarity in future editions, that's all 👍

I appreciate it. I will absolutely add this clarification to the rules next year. Missed kicks should always penalize rather than reward scoring.

I appreciate it. I will absolutely add this clarification to the rules next year. Missed kicks should always penalize rather than rewards scoring.
Well, they do penalize the kicker if you factor that into the kicker's score total but I guess that is a meaningless penalty to some degree. You want the penalty to be very hurtful to the contestent....not the kicker. It definitely changes the kicker I would choose in the future. The way I took it, I could factor in the likelihood of a kicker missing a kick into my point total guess. In the future, I will now put out my vibes to my kicker not to miss any kicks and therefore won't factor it in there.........hahahaha

I appreciate it. I will absolutely add this clarification to the rules next year. Missed kicks should always penalize rather than reward scoring.
That makes sense and that works fine. But the fact that it's a "pick any guy and predict how he does" contest, rather than a "pick the guy you think will do the best" contest (aka fantasy football), definitely would allow for the "incorrect scoring" to make sense as well.

If the contest were "pick a kicker, take his points plus his long FG, and that's your score, high score wins, (and whatever tiebreaker)", in that case, a miss helping your score would be very counterintuitive, since you're trying to pick a good kicker. This contest, though, has nothing to do with picking a skilled kicker (except, well, that he has to make at least one FG).

OK here we go! .1 point decided 3rd, 2nd, & 1st, and all with the same kicker. I'm always amazed at how these contests end up so close. Also, this is the 1st time I can recall that multiple kickers were DQ'd for not kicking a FG. And in the NFL Playoffs, too. Crazy. Sanders & Patterson, you suck.

Honorable mention to @Ignoratio Elenchi, who really deserved to win something, but tragically does not. Ignoratio guessed a spectacular 6 points for Boswell, nailing it (0) 100%. And got so so, just so close to the long with a guess of 43, but the long was 40 (3) for a total difference of 3 points.

And then amazingly, also on Boswell, @SoBeDad guessed 7.9 (1.9) and a long of 39 (1) for a difference of 2.9. I really thought this would win 1st.

But then I saw @BassNBrew who guessed 5.2 total points (.8) and a long of 42 (2) for a total difference of 2.8, just edging out SoBeDad.

1st Place = @BassNBrew 🥇
2nd Place = @SoBeDad 🥈

Scorn & ridicule, @Ignoratio Elenchi & everyone else who entered. Please mock them soundly, and throw rotten vegetables at them when they walk by.

@BassNBrew already reached out with his address, so I just need @SoBeDad's to get the prizes out tomorrow. Please DM me when you get a chance.

Thanks to everyone for playing & congratulations to the winners.

Scott
AKA Hot Sauce Guy
And now a word from our sponsor :)

I was ready to send this message ...

If you missed out, like I barely did, add hot sauce to your Valentines or Father's Day wish list. I did last year and my daughters came through! It makes a great gift that will be used. A coming attraction is the 2024 draft contest, I was a lucky dog winning in 2021.

But then I saw @BassNBrew who guessed 5.2 total points (.8) and a long of 42 (2) for a total difference of 2.8, just edging out SoBeDad.
Do you have historical records of the contest to list out the winners with some of the superlatives like closest ever to win and the furthest ever to win?

ETA: I am old so I like historical data and my memory is bad so it helps refresh it..haha

OK here we go! .1 point decided 3rd, 2nd, & 1st, and all with the same kicker. I'm always amazed at how these contests end up so close. Also, this is the 1st time I can recall that multiple kickers were DQ'd for not kicking a FG. And in the NFL Playoffs, too. Crazy. Sanders & Patterson, you suck.

Honorable mention to @Ignoratio Elenchi, who really deserved to win something, but tragically does not. Ignoratio guessed a spectacular 6 points for Boswell, nailing it (0) 100%. And got so so, just so close to the long with a guess of 43, but the long was 40 (3) for a total difference of 3 points.

And then amazingly, also on Boswell, @SoBeDad guessed 7.9 (1.9) and a long of 39 (1) for a difference of 2.9. I really thought this would win 1st.

1st Place = @BassNBrew 🥇
2nd Place = @SoBeDad 🥈

Scorn & ridicule, @Ignoratio Elenchi & everyone else who entered. Please mock them soundly, and throw rotten vegetables at them when they walk by.

@BassNBrew already reached out with his address, so I just need @SoBeDad's to get the prizes out tomorrow. Please DM me when you get a chance.

Thanks to everyone for playing & congratulations to the winners.

Scott
AKA Hot Sauce Guy
And now a word from our sponsor :)
Thank you, much appreciated. Hit every page on your website.

My thought was 42 yard, 2 XP, one missed FG for 5.2.

If you missed out, like I barely did, add hot sauce to your Valentines or Father's Day wish list. I did last year and my daughters came through! It makes a great gift that will be used. A coming attraction is the 2024 draft contest, I was a lucky dog winning in 2021.

Agree and I highly recommend the "Peach Heat" (y)

Do you have historical records of the contest to list out the winners with some of the superlatives like closest ever to win and the furthest ever to win?

ETA: I am old so I like historical data and my memory is bad so it helps refresh it..haha
I might have some old spreadsheets saved to a folder.

Anecdotally, I remember one time someone’s guess was like ~1 point off, and they were sure they won…and they ended up losing to someone who’s total variance was .1 from their guess.

I’ll take a look when I get a chance to see if I can find any older results.

Thanks for the kind words - and now you only have to send an address.
😃

I appreciate it. I will absolutely add this clarification to the rules next year. Missed kicks should always penalize rather than rewards scoring.
Well, they do penalize the kicker if you factor that into the kicker's score total but I guess that is a meaningless penalty to some degree. You want the penalty to be very hurtful to the contestent....not the kicker. It definitely changes the kicker I would choose in the future. The way I took it, I could factor in the likelihood of a kicker missing a kick into my point total guess. In the future, I will now put out my vibes to my kicker not to miss any kicks and therefore won't factor it in there.........hahahaha
Yeah, a MPAT or MFG is considered separate from the scoring differentials, and added on after the fact to increase the differential.

it would be silly to have an MFG or MPAT back you into being closer to a win.

Yeah, a MPAT or MFG is considered separate from the scoring differentials, and added on after the fact to increase the differential.

it would be silly to have an MFG or MPAT back you into being closer to a win.
Suppose I have guessed 7.8 and 36 long.

And say my kicker is exactly at 7.8 and 36 long currently (I'm perfect currently).

Then in the final seconds of the game he lines up to attempt a game-winning 62-yard field goal. If he makes it, all of a sudden instead of being off by 0.0, I'll be off by a massive 29.6. (Edit: 32.8. Dont know where I got 29.6.)

However, he misses it, and now I'm still perfect and just get 1 added to my score, for a final score of 1.0. So his miss helped me tremendously anyway despite the "misses can't help you" line of reasoning.

Granted, the whole package of attempt+miss still hurt me by one point. But, given the attempt, the miss was way, way, way better than a make. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread