What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (6 Viewers)

I'm not on board trading any pick higher than a 3 for Fields. I am just not convinced he'll ever be any better than what he has already shown.

For 2024 I am fine rolling with Pickett and whatever veteran QB they can get on the cheap. Concentrate the draft picks and cap space on improving the offensive line and solidifying the defense and worry about QB in 2025.
That was my point above. If they can get someone like Wilson cheap, why not bring him in and have him compete with KP. Unless the goal is to just tank next season completely. In that case, just anoint KP the starter now.
Why do you think he'll be cheap? Or, what is your definition of cheap? His current contract owes him ~$50 - $55 million per year. Is cheap $35 - 37 mil per year, like Goff & Carr? If so, that's our entire free agent budget, plus some. So we'd bring in Wilson who's been ok the last few years, and have to get everything else through the draft. Why would Wilson take less than Carr, a replacement level QB.

There is some clause in his contract that he gives up certain money if he signed for >$X or something, So it is expected he signs something close to the minimum.
Thank you for explaining that. I'd seen people talking about him being cheap and wasn't sure why.

Cordarelle Patterson's contract voided. I'd bet $ he's a Steeler if I could.
He's so useful and well respected by teammates. A super easy sell for Arthur to Tomlin. Saves a roster spot (or two) also.

He's so useful and well respected by teammates. A super easy sell for Arthur to Tomlin. Saves a roster spot (or two) also.
Does he play special teams? Could we use him as a Boykin replacement if we lose him?

Does he play special teams? Could we use him as a Boykin replacement if we lose him?
Yeah he's up there in return TD rankings.
He even played TE last camp to try n help Pitts learn.
Swiss army knife of the NFL if there ever was one

Cordarrelle will be 33 next month his better days are behind him. Reminds me of the trap I fall into at times in fantasy football drafting someone like OBJ whose better days are behind him and me hoping he turns a corner.

Chad Johnson hears Russell Wilson will sign with the Steelers.
"A little birdie told me...Russell Wilson’s coming on over to the Steelers.”

Who you gonna believe? Ochocinco or Dulac? ;)

For the record. I hope we get Wilson. I think he sucks and will prove again whst a mess the FO is and massive failure Tomlin is.

For the record. I hope we get Wilson. I think he sucks and will prove again whst a mess the FO is and massive failure Tomlin is.
I think Omar has done a pretty great job so far. The Steelers draft last year is rated in the top 3 by pretty much everyone. He signed some solid ILB help that happened to get hurt. He did the best he could at QB with what he had available. I don't think he had the solo power to get rid of Canada and there wasn't really a play for the Steelers to move up last year for Stroud or Young.

Has anyone gone back and watched tape of Big Ben from his early years recently? If so, you'll see him stare down 1st reads a lot, and have off target throws, and hold the ball too long, and have plays every once in a while that are WOW. The one main difference thus far between him and KP is that Ben was able to throw with more anticipation. But Hines Ward and Heath bailed him out a ton on bad throws.

I'm hoping that having a true OC and staff will help Kenny learn to be more decisive and throw with anticipation. You don't get a long time to get good in the NFL, hopefully he can show marked improvement this coming season. If not, it might just end up being a case of what could have been.

That said, KP would be ideal as a backup QB. A guy who has a chance to win and isn't likely to turn the ball over.

Has anyone gone back and watched tape of Big Ben from his early years recently? If so, you'll see him stare down 1st reads a lot, and have off target throws, and hold the ball too long, and have plays every once in a while that are WOW. The one main difference thus far between him and KP is that Ben was able to throw with more anticipation. But Hines Ward and Heath bailed him out a ton on bad throws.

I'm hoping that having a true OC and staff will help Kenny learn to be more decisive and throw with anticipation. You don't get a long time to get good in the NFL, hopefully he can show marked improvement this coming season. If not, it might just end up being a case of what could have been.

That said, KP would be ideal as a backup QB. A guy who has a chance to win and isn't likely to turn the ball over.

Ben did that all as a, like, 21 year old though. Kenny's almost 43, I think. Afraid he may already be "what he is" at this point.

They should've stunk for a year with Mitch/Mason and not drafted a QB that year at all, prior to a day 3 body. Theyd probably be at least a 50/50 shot to be sitting on Stroud if they had. Instead, we're hearing sqwaking heads debating the merits 106-year-old Ryan Tannehill/Russell Wilson as a better fit for the team, or drafting freaking Bo Nix/McCarthy in round 1. 😐

Last edited:
Yes Omar had a great draft more or less. He had some nice free agent signings.
But
Omar did resign Mitch he overpaid for ARobber. He gave away Dotson.

Okafor I have a feeling he will rebound nicely with his next team. I was surprised they didn't even try to trade him or found out there was no interest.

I know Tomlin loves ARob. But ARob should be cut unless there waiting for the right time. Even Copilot thinks he should be cut.

Here's what CoPilot had to say about ARob

The Pittsburgh Steelers are facing some critical decisions regarding their roster and salary cap. Allen Robinson, the wide receiver, has been a topic of discussion. Let’s delve into the details:

1. Allen Robinson’s Performance:
    • In his first season with the Steelers, Robinson’s performance was underwhelming. He made just 34 catches for 280 yards and didn’t score any touchdowns in 2023.
    • His contract, however, is quite substantial. He’s set to carry a cap hit of $11.9 million in 20241.
    • Given his lackluster output, the Steelers might consider parting ways with him.
  2. Cap Space Considerations:
  3. Abundance of Talented Receivers:
In summary, cutting Allen Robinson would free up valuable cap space for other necessary moves. The Steelers have a rich tradition of receiver talent, and they can continue to thrive without him.

Ben did that all as a, like, 21 year old though. Kenny's almost 43, I think. Afraid he may already be "what he is" at this point.

They should've stunk for a year with Mitch/Mason and not drafted a QB that year at all, prior to a day 3 body. Theyd probably be at least a 50/50 shot to be sitting on Stroud if they had. Instead, we're hearing sqwaking heads debating the merits 106-year-old Ryan Tannehill/Russell Wilson as a better fit for the team, or drafting freaking Bo Nix/McCarthy in round 1. 😐

Right. He is 26 and does not have the physical tools/gifts that Ben had from a size or strength perspective. And his pocket awareness just seems bad. I hope he somehow proves me wrong though.

This cracks me up. Had to share.

Linkage

“In any event, the Steelers are not interested in bringing in a quarterback who wants to be a starter," Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette wrote

Can imagine the interview now.
Omar: We are going to sign 3 QB before training camp and have just one question to make sure you are a fit for the organization. Are you interested in being a starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Professional QB: Yes!!! Starting for the Steelers and playing for Coach T would be a dream come true. It’s what I worked for all my life. I won’t let you down sir.

Omar: Thanks for your honesty. I’m sorry things aren’t going to work out.

Seems like Smith has been down this road with Fields before and wanted no part of him.

TJ Watt is coming off as a huge crybaby.. There has been hundreds of guys who deserve awards and didn't get it.

Guessing he would probably get a nice little bonus for winning DPOY, don't blame him one bit for being upset, anyone who actually watches the games knows he is a superior player to Garrett.

Where's all this "poise" Brad's talking about?

KP has pretty lousy pocket awareness, and his signature move is stepping in the bucket and doing that "back to the defense bail out" spin move. That's sort of the opposite of poised, in my book at least.
Kenny and his spin move into pressure...

Copilot
Certainly! Here are some reasons why Kenny Pickett has faced criticism as a quarterback:
  1. Inconsistent Performance:
    • Pickett’s performance has been inconsistent, with both impressive moments and significant struggles.
    • His completion percentage and passing efficiency have been below par, leading to concerns about his ability to consistently move the offense.
  2. Turnover Troubles:
  3. Limited Upside:
    • Some analysts believe that Pickett lacks the high ceiling seen in elite quarterbacks.
    • His limitations in arm strength and decision-making have raised doubts about his long-term potential.
  4. Sack Vulnerability:
  5. Health Issues:
    • Pickett’s injury history has impacted his availability. Staying healthy is crucial for a starting quarterback.
    • Fans and analysts worry about his durability over a full NFL season.
  6. Struggles Under Pressure:
    • When facing strong pass rushes or critical game situations, Pickett has often faltered.
    • His decision-making and accuracy decline when the stakes are high.
  7. Limited Mobility:
    • Pickett lacks the elite mobility seen in some successful modern quarterbacks.
    • Mobility is essential for extending plays and escaping pressure.
  8. Overall Team Struggles:
    • While not entirely his fault, Pickett has been part of a struggling Pittsburgh Steelers team.
    • The lack of offensive weapons and inconsistent play-calling has affected his performance.
In summary, Pickett’s limitations in consistency, turnovers, and handling pressure situations have contributed to the perception that he faces significant challenges as an NFL quarterback.

I tend to disagree with lack of offensive weapons. Offensive line I see a weakness at Center and Tackle. The starting TE is an adequate blocker at best. But the Steeler's have good running backs. Pickens and Diontae Johnson are good receivers. With the later being over paid.

Where's all this "poise" Brad's talking about?

KP has pretty lousy pocket awareness, and his signature move is stepping in the bucket and doing that "back to the defense bail out" spin move. That's sort of the opposite of poised, in my book at least.
Kenny and his spin move into pressure...

<high fives Pat Pete>

I tend to disagree with lack of offensive weapons. Offensive line I see a weakness at Center and Tackle. The starting TE is an adequate blocker at best. But the Steeler's have good running backs. Pickens and Diontae Johnson are good receivers. With the later being over paid.

Yeah, not really buying that angle fully either.

Decent top 2 wide receivers,two good receiving running backs, a good receiving TE (when he plays). He has a few things to work with. Not elite,but certainly not garbage.

Fully allow his OL hasn't done him any favors, and his offensive coordinator was historically awful. The pocket awareness is on him though.

Last edited:

Decent top 2 wide receivers,two good receiving running backs, a good receiving TE (when he plays). He Has a few things to work with. Not elite,but certainly not garbage.

Fully allow his OL hasn't done him any favors, and his offense of coordinator was historically awful. The pocket awareness is on him though.
Agree with both of you and IMO if the QB was better the discussion about the weapons being and issue would cease.

Do need to WR depth in a bad way but that's not quite the same as weapons being an issue, not when everyone is healthy anyway.

Decent top 2 wide receivers,two good receiving running backs, a good receiving TE (when he plays). He Has a few things to work with. Not elite,but certainly not garbage.

Fully allow his OL hasn't done him any favors, and his offense of coordinator was historically awful. The pocket awareness is on him though.
Agree with both of you and IMO if the QB was better the discussion about the weapons being and issue would cease.

Do need to WR depth in a bad way but that's not quite the same as weapons being an issue, not when everyone is healthy anyway.
Weapons looked pretty effective with Rudolph under center. Made big plays with a cannon arm. Dare you to single up on Pickens. Made the run more effective and Diontae eats all day when coverage rolls too far towards Pickens.

Kenny doesn't possess the traits to scare defenses. They lick their chops like a big ol steak and lobster dinner just rolled itself out on the field. Pass the spicy melted butter please and thank you.

Is there a jeff hartings out there or do we need to draft a center?

Probably need to draft, IMO. Not a lot available I'm seeing in FA that would be a particularly good fit for Artie's scheme. At least not "pure" Centers.

Connor Williams would have been pretty interesting, had he not popped his ACL in December.

Cordarrelle will be 33 next month his better days are behind him. Reminds me of the trap I fall into at times in fantasy football drafting someone like OBJ whose better days are behind him and me hoping he turns a corner.
Nah it's not like that.
He's definitely a part time player but it suits his usefulness. He won't start. He won't command big $. He'll play ten plays a game and maybe only ST for the first half of the season. Injuries hit and then he fills in more. Solely depth

Aaron Brewer Tennessee Titans. Who Arthur coached. Here's a list that includes Conor. Also, Kelce is on the list, and he's retired.

2024 NFL Free Agent Centers

He's very well drilled and very small soooo he's not good.
Smallish linemen never make it in the NFL. He did. He has a lot of redeeming qualities to his game but ultimately a 330 pound DT is gonna be too much.
He will probably win a backup job in some camp.
Arthur likes the same linemen the Steelers do- Munchak types- and Brewer isn't that.

Atlanta had a very good line on paper and they played poorly. If there's an Arthur linemen connection it probably comes from there AND the player didn't perform well so the Steelers will be doing their own "do we want him?" They're not trash, most were rated well by PFF the year before last; just last year the Falcons line stunk.

Arthur will probably attract some backups, that's it. He's not a big presence guy. He's a former lineman and acts as such.

There may be a new QB and there may be a need for a clear gem at RB but every Steelers fan knew that long before Arthur.

Henry is probably discussed but probably by all 32 teams. Kirk Cousins same...on and on.

All I've heard lately w Steelers is Tannehill probably not going there unless he's cheap- which is what I said earlier. He's old and had two bad years- that's not a command big $ situation. And the same debate w Pickett and Rudolph from last year.
Fields to Steelers has been hanging around about a month now.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that, even if the Steelers are unsuccessful in their pursuit of a Rudolph re-up, the club will not consider an external addition who is eyeing a QB1 role.

This has to be smoke and mirrors or Dulac is just making things up. Why would any team not pursue making their squad better? "Our qb1 is questionable and we have no one else. We good!"

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that, even if the Steelers are unsuccessful in their pursuit of a Rudolph re-up, the club will not consider an external addition who is eyeing a QB1 role.

This has to be smoke and mirrors or Dulac is just making things up. Why would any team not pursue making their squad better? "Our qb1 is questionable and we have no one else. We good!"
How reliable has he really been the last several years?

I'm going to go with not much.

I'm going to go with not much.
He's been about as accurate as the average fan, which is a bit sad.

My worst nightmare prior to the draft. Pickett is the only QB on the roster. I'm with 3c's that the Steeler's should be looking to better the roster. I'm hoping Dulac is putting out smoke n mirrors to potentially driving down the cost to acquire a veteran QB.

Dulac is like any ESPN person it's all about the click bait to stay relevant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread