What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Lol... I'm just remembering the hand wringing we did when that 6 chose mexico instead of the us. I can't even remember his name now. Did he ever feature for el tri?
I think you are referring to Jonathan Gonzalez whose career has taken a steep nose dive after a very bright start as a teenager.

He played for Mexico 3 times but not since 2019.

He has been loaned out to 4 different teams in recent years.

Lol... I'm just remembering the hand wringing we did when that 6 chose mexico instead of the us. I can't even remember his name now. Did he ever feature for el tri?
I think you are referring to Jonathan Gonzalez whose career has taken a steep nose dive after a very bright start as a teenager.

Cautionary tale for all dual-nats

Yeah, remember when we all thought he was the 2nd best talent in the whole pool? Dude stepped into like the 2nd best team in Mexico as an 18 year old and looked like he belonged.

And we never....saw him.....again.

Seems like Efrain Alvarez ended up the same way.

Philly won the U17 Generation Adidas Cup today. Cavan played for the Philly U17's during the tournament and scored today in the final.

It went to PK's but I have not seen who took the pk's. Philly obviously won the PK shootout though.

Flamengo pulled out from this after losing to Philly in the previous rounds, claiming racist comments from Philly.
This is a deeper story, sadly.

Flamengo had two players and a coach red carded for using racist terms in the game. One Philly player was also red carded but it was not confirmed if it was racist related. Flamengo were very likely to have been kicked out of tournament even if they did not pull out themselves.

And this fiasco came after Red Bull also pulled out of the tournament stating racist comments from their opponents.

Just a complete and total disaster.

Philly won the U17 Generation Adidas Cup today. Cavan played for the Philly U17's during the tournament and scored today in the final.

It went to PK's but I have not seen who took the pk's. Philly obviously won the PK shootout though.

Cavan missed the semifinal vs Flamengo due to a prior red card. He's a great player and probably the best on the Philly U17s, but they are obviously very talented with or without him. They actually won this tournament last year and finished runner up in the U15s. Lot of elite players.

Cavan missed the semifinal vs Flamengo due to a prior red card. He's a great player and probably the best on the Philly U17s, but they are obviously very talented with or without him. They actually won this tournament last year and finished runner up in the U15s. Lot of elite players.
Truly amazing what Philly is doing with their academy. Imagine if the regionality thing was gone and Philly Union could recruit across the whole of the country. This is what Bayern, Barça, Real, Juve do.

Truly amazing what Philly is doing with their academy. Imagine if the regionality thing was gone and Philly Union could recruit across the whole of the country. This is what Bayern, Barça, Real, Juve do.
Are they still doing their school for their academy players? Am I remembering that right?

Are the other academies doing the same thing?... I seem to recall others using local schools or homeschooling, but I'm definitely not following this closely.

Flamengo pulled out from this after losing to Philly in the previous rounds, claiming racist comments from Philly.
This is a deeper story, sadly.

Flamengo had two players and a coach red carded for using racist terms in the game. One Philly player was also red carded but it was not confirmed if it was racist related. Flamengo were very likely to have been kicked out of tournament even if they did not pull out themselves.

And this fiasco came after Red Bull also pulled out of the tournament stating racist comments from their opponents.

Just a complete and total disaster.
Read up more on this- had missed NYRB pulling out over it. Abuse from a Mex team (Monterey, iirc) and Hajduk Split (I saw something about using the word "monkey"). This is pretty terrible/sad business if kids are doing it...

Are they still doing their school for their academy players? Am I remembering that right?

Are the other academies doing the same thing?... I seem to recall others using local schools or homeschooling, but I'm definitely not following this closely.
Maybe @Ted Lange as your Bartender can speak to this more.

The YSC Academy (the one that combines school and soccer development) still looks like it is up and running but I don't know if it is still directly tied to the Union academy in any way.

Yes and it is now located directly at the Union's new training complex next to Subaru Park. The training fields are done, they were just starting the construction on the indoor field and whatever else is going to be in the fieldhouse when my sons team played against them in January. It is impressive. https://www.yscacademy.com/about/campus-training-locations/

Hoping he doesn't get too full of himself. Saw video of him at the GA Cup after a game he was over by the fence and people were throwing him their phones so he could take selfies with them in the background. That is a lot for a 15 year old. There is also video of the Flamengo team interrupting the Union team moving there name on big bracket after the Semi-Final win. Video is on the Ballbandars Instgram account.

Last edited:

Hoping he doesn't get too full of himself. Saw video of him at the GA Cup after a game he was over by the fence and people were throwing him their phones so he could take selfies with them in the background. That is a lot for a 15 year old. There is also video of the Flamengo team interrupting the Union team moving there name on big bracket after the Semi-Final win. Video is on the Ballbandars Instgram account.
He's actually 14. He doesn't turn 15 until September. I think he's in 8th grade, or should be.

A name like this...he has to be a star in the making right? :)

=========================

Youth Soccer Central
https://twitter.com/yscentral
@yscentral

Rocket Ritarita has reportedly left Atlanta United for Charlotte FC. Ritarita was the 2023 MLS Next Cup MVP and an MLS Next All Star
Even if his first name wasn't Rocket, Ritarita sounds like a a made up 80s song name.
Or a cocktail at TGIFriday's
Make mine a ROCKET Ritarita, barkeep

A name like this...he has to be a star in the making right? :)

=========================

Youth Soccer Central
https://twitter.com/yscentral
@yscentral

Rocket Ritarita has reportedly left Atlanta United for Charlotte FC. Ritarita was the 2023 MLS Next Cup MVP and an MLS Next All Star

Dual eligible for Phillippines apparently
They're always swiping our guys!
Seriously. They took my entire call center once.

I don't know if there is a USWNT thread, but Alex Morgan has gotten slow. At least for a center forward. Though she will probably score 5 goals now that I posted this.

I fear the USWNT culture is that where they won’t push old stars out, and let them linger for years. I hope I’m wrong.

I'm not sure if youre kidding
Yeah - I was riffing off the idea that most of what he's offered for the USMNT is work rate and occasional hold up play.
I remember him having a beautiful give and go with Jonathan Amon in one of the post-wet-and-bumpy, pre-GGG friendlies. IMHO he's just missing those 'fast-twitch' muscles associated with quickness, always thought he had the mechanics of a striker down pretty well, just needed a step or three more.

Yeah - I was riffing off the idea that most of what he's offered for the USMNT is work rate and occasional hold up play.
I remember him having a beautiful give and go with Jonathan Amon in one of the post-wet-and-bumpy, pre-GGG friendlies. IMHO he's just missing those 'fast-twitch' muscles associated with quickness, always thought he had the mechanics of a striker down pretty well, just needed a step or three more.
I don't think it was this play I was referring to at the :50 second mark, as I seem to recall Sargent was more central in the play I remember, but this is quite deft, too.

I fear the USWNT culture is that where they won’t push old stars out, and let them linger for years. I hope I’m wrong.
I think they have a solid batch of young players who are stepping up now. But I think they had a gap in talent from Morgan's group to now, with not enough high level players to legit take the spots

He lacks explosiveness (saying same thing I think). It showed too much in the EPL where defenders just gobbled him up too easily. But maybe it's gotten better or he's gotten more savvy how to work around it.

I hope they are all doing this. Home school sucks for a kid away from home. In a lot of place you can't just put a kid in a local school unless the parents purchase a home or sign a lease in the area. I knew a couple of parents that went the lease route so in additional to academy expenses you had an apartment lease for a year.

I think they have a solid batch of young players who are stepping up now. But I think they had a gap in talent from Morgan's group to now, with not enough high level players to legit take the spots
Up until recently there were also winning all the time. Hard to turn over while that happens. And Morgan was called in due to injuries.

I hope you are right about the youth though. With the Women's league in Europe getting better, the US Dominance is up for debate.

Dest, Tillman and Aaronson all start today (against each other). Pepi still out hurt.

Sargent and Haji both start as normal, continuing their quest for a promotion playoff spot.

Users who are viewing this thread