What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 1980's One Hit Wonders . . .​​​​ #1 - LIPPS, INC. - Funkytown *** (1 Viewer)

#20 - CHARLENE - I've Never Been To Me (#3 - 5/22/1982 - 23 Weeks)
Born Charlene Marilynn D'Angelo, she started out as a singer in 1973 using her married name (Charlene Duncan). She released a few singles that did next to nothing and then switched to just Charlene. Her debut album dropped in 1976 and generated a single that hit #97 in the Hot 100. The lead single from her follow up album in 1977 made it to #96. I've Never Been To Me was the second single off that album and reached #97 on the Hot 100 in 1977.

Charlene didn't really release much over the next 5 years and lost her recording deal. The girlfriend of Scott Shannon (then a DJ in Tampa) always liked the song and encouraged him to play it on his show. The song grew in local popularity, and Shannon and his girlfriend tracked down Charlene. By that point, she had divorced, remarried, mostly given up the music business, moved to the UK, and was working in a candy store.

She was previously signed to the Motown label, who renewed her contract, and the song became Motown's first Top Ten hit by a white female singer. The song turned into a global hit, topping the charts in Australia, Canada, Ireland, and the UK. Her follow up single Used To Be (with Stevie Wonder) made it to #46 on the singles chart, but nothing else she released charted. I've Never Been To Me gave Charlene some short-term success, as the label put out 4 of her albums in a two-year period from 1982-1984 (but none after that). Even without any additional major label support, she's remained active in music (now going by Charlene Oliver).

For those that will cast shade on I've Never Been To Me, the song was listed as the #3 worst song of all time in Jimmy Guterman's 1991 book "The Worst Rock n' Roll Records of All Time: A Fan's Guide to the Stuff You Love to Hate."

Up next, the last remaining rock song in the countdown (sad face) . . . for those of you with a little change in your pocket, the story about free milk and a cow.
Great song. Sorry if that makes me a bad person. The ears like what the ears like.

#19 - THE GEORGIA SATELLITES - Keep Your Hands To Yourself (#2 - 2/21/1987 - 20 Weeks)
I got a little change in my pocket goin' jing-a-ling-a-ling.
Wants to call you on the telephone baby, a-give you a ring.
But each time we talk, I get the same old thing.
Always no hug-ee no kiss-ee until I get a weddin' ring.
My honey my baby, don't put my love upon no shelf.
She said don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself.

Those are the opening lyrics to our first #2 entry. While those words won't win any awards for grammar or syntax, it did score The Georgia Satellites with their first (and arguably only) hit. Hailing from Atlanta, the booming, guitar rock song came from a band that originated as Keith and the Satellites in 1980. The band underwent several personnel changes before finally releasing their debut album. Keep Your Hands To Yourself seemed destined to top the charts but was blocked by the success of Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer.

Riding the success of their single, their debut album went platinum. The band remained popular enough to release 3 more albums over the proceeding 10 years but hasn't released anything new in over 20 years. For those interested in some of their other songs / singles . . . Hippy Hippy Shake from the Cocktail soundtrack hit #45, Battleship Chains climbed to #11 on the rock charts, Open All Night peaked at #6 on the rock chart, Railroad Steel snuck into the Rock Top 40, a revved up version of the Beatles' Don't Pass Me By had moderate success, as did their final single All Over But The Cryin'.

The Satellites are still around with a different lineup that does not include original founder and lead singer Dan Baird (who wrote KYHTY), and they have been playing festivals and county fairs intermittently this year. I have fond but hazy memories of this song, as I used to sing it during karaoke nights back in the day after a few too many pitchers of beer (which made my horrible singing better fit the song).

Up next, back to a sappy love song / ballad that hit the charts in 1986 about a couple wondering if they are friends or more than friends.

I do like Keep Your Hands To Yourself. Fun song even though its encroaching on sexual assault territory. :oldunsure:

Anarchy99 said:
#19 - THE GEORGIA SATELLITES - Keep Your Hands To Yourself (#2 - 2/21/1987 - 20 Weeks)

Those are the opening lyrics to our first #2 entry. While those words won't win any awards for grammar or syntax, it did score The Georgia Satellites with their first (and arguably only) hit. Hailing from Atlanta, the booming, guitar rock song came from a band that originated as Keith and the Satellites in 1980. The band underwent several personnel changes before finally releasing their debut album. Keep Your Hands To Yourself seemed destined to top the charts but was blocked by the success of Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer.

Riding the success of their single, their debut album went platinum. The band remained popular enough to release 3 more albums over the proceeding 10 years but hasn't released anything new in over 20 years. For those interested in some of their other songs / singles . . . Hippy Hippy Shake from the Cocktail soundtrack hit #45, Battleship Chains climbed to #11 on the rock charts, Open All Night peaked at #6 on the rock chart, Railroad Steel snuck into the Rock Top 40, a revved up version of the Beatles' Don't Pass Me By had moderate success, as did their final single All Over But The Cryin'.

The Satellites are still around with a different lineup that does not include original founder and lead singer Dan Baird (who wrote KYHTY), and they have been playing festivals and county fairs intermittently this year. I have fond but hazy memories of this song, as I used to sing it during karaoke nights back in the day after a few too many pitchers of beer (which made my horrible singing better fit the song).

Up next, back to a sappy love song / ballad that hit the charts in 1986 about a couple wondering if they are friends or more than friends.
Never knew these guys did the Hippy Hippy Shake song.

Anarchy99 said:

I remember a co-worker telling me about this great new song he had heard on the drive in that morning... and he was right, it was a great, fun, catchy song.

I figured these guys would have a bunch of hits after Keep Your Hands to Yourself, but it wasn't to be.

I do remember Battleship Chains getting lots of air time back in the day.

#18 - GLORIA LORING & CARL ANDERSON - Friends And Lovers (#2 - 9/27/1986 - 21 Weeks)
I am warning people ahead of time, we are headed down a road with several love songs and ballads the rest of the way. Friends and Lovers was written for the soap opera Days of Our Lives (which I never gave thought that songs would be written for daytime dramas). Loring and Anderson recorded the song first, but a duet by Juice Newton and Eddie Rabbit actually came out first. Their version was called Both to Each Other (Friends and Lovers) and hit #1 on the country charts.

The song was co-written by Jay Gruska, who has composed music for 40 TV shows and movies and has had his songs recorded by the likes of Amy Grant, Michael Jackson, Bette Midler, and Chicago. The other co-writer was Paul Gordon, who co-wrote Next Time I Fall, which hit #1 for Peter Cetera and Amy Grant.

Gloria Loring had released 5 albums prior to recording this song, which appeared on her self-titled 1986 album. She played a lounge singer on Days of Our Lives for 5 years, and this was one of the songs she performed in her act on the show. Loring was also married to actor Alan Thicke, and they had a son named Robin, who became a singer in his own right and released the smash Blurred Lines (among others). She also wrote and recorded the theme song from the tv show The Facts Of Life.

Anderson's career took off when he appeared in Broadway and movie versions of Jesus Christ Superstar in the early 70's. He released 9 jazz and soul albums in the 80's and 90's and at one point was married to Muhammad Ali's ex-wife Veronica. Anderson died of leukemia in 2009.

Friends and Lovers was the only Top 40 hit for both Loring and Anderson.

Up next, another ballad from a soap opera star that was blocked from topping the singles chart in 1985 by Madonna's Like a Virgin 

Last edited by a moderator:
#17 - JACK WAGNER - All I Need (#2 - 1/19/1985 - 22 Weeks)
Continuing the run of adult contemporary ballads, All I Need from Wagner's debut album of the same name lands at #17 in our 80's OHW chart. Wagner is almost synonymous with soap operas, as he has appeared in over 1,800 episodes of General Hospital, The Bold and the Beautiful, Santa Barbara, and Melrose Place. The album hit #44 on the album chart. Being a soap star has its privileges, as he dated Heather Locklear for 4 or 5 years.

All I Need was co-written by Glen Ballard, who has written songs for some of the industry's best known artists (Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Christina Aguilera, Shakira, Katy Perry, No Doubt, Alanis Morrissette, Aerosmith, Dave Matthews, and many others). The song was co-written and produced by Clif Magness, who has worked with Kelly Clarkson, Paula Abdul, Avril Lavigne, Quincy Jones, Steve Perry, Jessica Simpson, Barbra Streisand, Julio Iglesias, Sheena Easton, and George Benson.

Overall, Wagner released 6 albums over a 30-year period, and he scraped together 3 more songs on the Hot 100 singles chart.  Wagner has kept busy in recent years making Hallmark Channel movies.

Around the corner, the sap keeps flowing, this time a duet between a not that well known woman and the lead singer from a disco and funk band that had already had 5 chart topping singles. But since it was under her name, she gets credit for the song and for being a OHW.

#16 - TERI DESARIO WITH KC - Yes, I'm Ready - (#2 - 1/26/1980 - 23 Weeks)
Another song most FBGers won't really love. It was written by and recorded by Barbara Mason in 1965, the title track from her debut album. DeSario was in a group called Abacus and was party discovered by Barry Gibb, who wrote songs for and produced her first album in 1978. Her second album came out a year later and featured two covers with KC of KC and the Sunshine Band, Yes, I'm Ready and Dancing In The Streets (which makes the Bowie / Jagger and Van Halen versions seem spectacular by comparison).

DeDarsio ended up releasing 5 albums from 1978-1985. She is said to still be active in the music business, but it doesn't appear that she has been in the spotlight in 30+ years. KC and the Sunshine Band had mostly lost popularity by 1980, but they managed one more Top 40 hit in 1983 when Give It Up reached #18.

We press forward with another German artist for a song that everyone will recognize, although only the German version of the song charted in 1984.

#15 - NENA - 99 Luftballoons (#2 - 3/3/1984 - 23 Weeks)
This is the German version (which is the version that charted but hardly ever gets played these days). HERE is the English version (which is the version that almost always gets played these days).

Nena was both a singer and a band name. The band put out 4 albums in the mid-80's. Between solo albums and band releases, Nena the singer has put out 19 albums. She apparently hated the English version of the song and has never performed it live. That's 36 years of only performing the song in German. Her concern was that the song did not translate easily into English. Here is a closer translation of the German lyrics into English. 

Do you have some time for me
Then I sing a song for you
From 99 balloons
On their way to the horizon
Do you think great of me
Then I sing a song for you
From 99 balloons
And that something like that comes from something like that

99 balloons
On their way to the horizon
Get out of space for UFOs
That is why a general sent
The Air Force behind
To give an alarm if it was 
That they were there on the horizon
Only 99 balloons

99 jet fighters
Everyone was a great warrior
Get Captain Kirk
That gave a big fireworks display
The neighbors didn't get anything
And immediately started
In the process, one shot on the horizon
On 99 balloons

99 Ministers of War
Match and petrol canister
For smart people
See a chance for already fat prey
They wanted power
Man, who thought that
That it will happen
Because of 99 balloons

99 years of war
Don't let a place for winners
War minister no longer exists
And also no jet fliers
Today I'm doing my rounds
See the world lying in rubble
A balloon I found
Think of you and let it fly

The song is said to have been conceived when the band's guitarist was at a Rolling Stones concert and a bunch of balloons were released and floated into the sky. The song also is a reference to a 1973 prank by German students, who released 99 balloons and claimed they were UFO's. That was the framework of the song and the military got involved to shoot down the balloons and started a war by accident (which sort of gets lost in the English version).

On a side note, I remember in the late 80's or early 90's, there was a friend of the family that brought over a female foreign exchange student from Germany for a year. She and I started hanging out and spending a lot of time together. I thought things were headed a certain direction that apparently they were not. One night I was out with her and a bunch of my friends and she COMPLETELY cut me down in front of everyone pretty much at my ankles. She went off saying I wasn't funny, I was really annoying, I never shut up, she had no interest in me, and there was no chance that she would ever do anything with me. Not ever. Never. Never. Never. Basically, go away and never come back. My friends just about died laughing at the public display of me getting LAMBASTED. It got really awkward as I was the one that drove that night and we almost an hour away from home and I had to drive us all home. My friends to this day said that was the quietest I have even been.

Up next, the lead singer from a British band that had 17 Top 40 hits joins forces with the lead singer of an R&B / soul / funk band that had 16 Top 40 hits, but per the letter of the law, the song meets the OHW requirements.

I always like the original language versions if only because that's the way it was written. Translating tends to change the structure of the verse and make it sound slightly awkward.

#14 - PHILIP BAILEY & PHIL COLLINS - Easy Lover (#2 - 2/2/1985 - 23 Weeks)
Yeah, I agree this one is suspect as a OHW. Earth, Wind & Fire had 16 Top 40 hits. Phil Collins had like 40 Top 40 hits between Genesis and his solo work. BUT . . . the song came from a Philip Bailey album and this is his only solo song to hit the Top 40, so that qualifies it as a OHW. Bailey and Collins co-wrote the song, which earned a Grammy nomination. Collins was the producer of Bailey's Chinese Wall album, and Bailey asked if they could write and record a song together. The song was blocked from hitting #1 by Foreigner's I Want To Know What Love Is. It was the last Top 40 hit for Bailey, as Earth, Wind & Fire did not have another song hit the Top 40 (even though they have stayed active ever since the song came out). HERE is a live version, in which Collins looks out of place.

As we keep working slowly to get to #1, the next song is an R&B number from 1981 that would later by sampled by Will Smith.

#13 - GROVER WASHINGTON, JR. (#2 - Just The Two Of Us - 5/2/1981 - 24 Weeks)
This R&B song featured and was co-written by Bill Withers. Saxophonist Washington passed away 20 years ago. He released 25 albums and 20 singles, but this was by far his biggest hit. However, he did have 13 albums top the jazz album chart. Withers, a 4-time Grammy Winner, had several other Top 5 songs including Lean On Me, Ain't No Sunshine, and Use Me.

Just The Two Of Us stalled at number two and couldn't outpace Morning Train (9 to 5) by Sheena Easton or Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes to reach the top of the singles chart. Will Smith sampled the song in a reworked version of the song that reached the Top 20 in 1998 (back when he was still a singer / musician). That version of the song was parodied in the film Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Moving on, the final #2 song before we move on to the #1 chart toppers . . . and this one is the theme from a TV show that ran from 1981-1983.

#13 - GROVER WASHINGTON, JR. (#2 - Just The Two Of Us - 5/2/1981 - 24 Weeks)
This R&B song featured and was co-written by Bill Withers. Saxophonist Washington passed away 20 years ago. He released 25 albums and 20 singles, but this was by far his biggest hit. However, he did have 13 albums top the jazz album chart. Withers, a 4-time Grammy Winner, had several other Top 5 songs including Lean On Me, Ain't No Sunshine, and Use Me.

Just The Two Of Us stalled at number two and couldn't outpace Morning Train (9 to 5) by Sheena Easton or Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes to reach the top of the singles chart. Will Smith sampled the song in a reworked version of the song that reached the Top 20 in 1998 (back when he was still a singer / musician). That version of the song was parodied in the film Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Moving on, the final #2 song before we move on to the #1 chart toppers . . . and this one is the theme from a TV show that ran from 1981-1983.
I was on a Cruise at a piano bar and we were playing trivia.  The pianist played a bit of this tune and I dutifully wrote down "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington, Jr.  When it came time for checking the answers, the pianist said it was by Bill Withers.  I spoke out loudly, "It was a Grover Washington Jr. Record!"  The pianist looked at me like I was crazy and said it was Bill Withers.  I lost the trivia game because he didn't know his ####.  I saw the piano player at breakfast a couple days later.  We were in port in San Juan so I had an LTE signal on my phone and I went to the Wikipedia page for "Just the Two of Us" and stormed over to the pianist's table to show him I was correct.  My wife was horrified and refused to have sex with me for the rest of the cruise (but I proved my point)!

#12 - JOEY SCARBURY - Theme From Greatest American Hero (Believe It Or Not ) (#2 - 8/15/1981 - 26 Weeks)
In the guilty pleasure category for me, as I watched the entire run of the TV series. Scarbury was a musician and back up singer that didn't often take to center stage. He released his first single in 1968. By the end of the 70's, he started working with composer and producer Mike Post, king of the TV theme songs. Post has penned songs for many popular shows including Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, NYPD Blue, The A-Team, NYPD Blue, Renegade, The Rockford Files, L.A. Law, Quantum Leap, Magnum, P.I., Hill Street Blues, and many others.

The song was kept from hitting #1 by "Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. It was the highest charting song that Post was involved with. The song was so popular that it allowed Scarbury to record and release an album (the only one he ever recorded). The follow up single was When She Dances, which almost made it to the Top 40 but stalled at #49. Scarbury ended up releasing about 20 singles over 15 years.

Of course, many people will recognize the song from an episode of Seinfeld, where George uses the song as a back drop for his answering machine message. (Remember answering machines?)

The Greatest American Hero, the TV show, starred William Katt, Robert Culp, and Connie Sellecca (💗) (at least at the time when I was a teenager). It lasted for 44 episodes and was entertaining. Basically, a teacher becomes an unwilling super hero when aliens give him a special suit that gives him super powers.

Moving on, our first #1 song in the countdown . . . a duet from the movie that featured song #21 in the countdown (another one that is a little sketchy on its OHW status).

The show was probably terrible but I loved i I don't really remember much of the show but do remember the song.   

i remember the network changing his character’s last name from Hinckley to Hanley or something like that when Reagan was shot.

#11 - BILL MEDLEY & JENNIFER WARNES - (I've Had) The Time Of My Life (#1 - 11/28/1987 - 21 Weeks - 1 Week at 1)
The first of our #1 hits and the second song from Dirty Dancing in the past 10 or 11 spots. I am still disturbed that this is both my mom's and wife's favorite movie. I still have to watch it probably twice a year.

File this one in the is-it-really-a-one-hit-wonder category. Medley was part of the duo in The Righteous Brothers (best known for staples such as Unchained Melody, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, and [You're My] Soul And Inspiration. The Righteous Brothers hit the Top 40 a dozen times.

Counting this song, Warnes ended up with 4 four Top 40 songs (including Right Time Of The Night and Up Where We Belong with Joe Cocker). Her two movie duets won Grammy Awards. Time of My Life actually won a trifecta of awards (Grammy, Golden Globe, and Oscar). The song was co-written by John DeNicola, who also wrote Hungry Eyes from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

A demo of the song was originally recorded by Franke & The Knockouts (Franke Previte wrote the lyrics). I am always amazed to hear how famous songs came to be written. Previte said the lyrics were written in a car while traveling to the studio to record a different song. I am also always interested to learn stories of how movies were made. The song is used in the big musical / dance number to close the film, but that was originally set aside for a song by Lionel Richie (which wasn't used and I can't figure out what the song was). Instead, the finale of Dirty Dancing was actually the first thing that was filmed when production of the film started . . . and they used the demo of the song for choreography and to shoot the scene. The final version of the song was recorded and the scene edited with that version later on.

The initial plan was for the movie version of the song to be recorded by Donna Summer and Joe Esposito, but for some reason Summer took offense to the title of the film and opted not to record it. Medley also passed on performing the song initially, but Warnes said she would record it if they could get Medley.

Oddly enough, Warnes career fell off after Dirty Dancing. She had three Top 100 albums prior to Dirty Dancing. Her follow up album came out 5 years later and didn't sell very well. Three singles from the album did not crack the Hot 100. It took 9 years for her to release her next album and 17 years to release another. Medley didn't record much beyond the hit single. Bobby Hatfield, the other half of the Righteous Brothers, died in 2003. In 2016, Medley found a replacement and did a residency in Las Vegas as a reformed version of the Righteous Brothers.

We finally hit the Top 10 OHW's of the 80's . . . and we go back to a theme song from a Top 10 TV show that topped the charts in 1985 from a musician that has released 25 albums spanning a 50 year career.

#10 - JAN HAMMER - Miami Vice Theme (#1 - 11/9/1985 - 22 Weeks - 1 Week at #1)
Our first entry in the Top 10, Hammer's theme song came from the Miami Vice Soundtrack album that topped the U.S. album chart for 11 weeks, which held the record for best selling TV soundtrack until 2006 when it was passed by the soundtrack from High School Musical.

The TV series was a crime drama known for having 4 or 5 guest stars each week . . . from actors, to musicians, to athletes, to other well known celebrities. Some places have hailed the show as one of the Top 50 Shows of All Time based on it's look, feel, style, and fresh presentation compared to other shows of its era. I can't really comment, as I never watched it. The theme song has been voted in some polls as the best TV theme song of all time. The show ran for 112 episodes from 1984-1990. Anyone that was anyone at the time as a musical performer contributed songs to the show. The series spawned 5 albums worth of music. 

Jan Hammer wasn't really a household name before or after Miami Vice, but he certainly had his theme song garner tons of attention. The song won 2 Grammy Awards and was a Top 10 hit around the globe. The keyboardist came from Czechoslovakia and joined the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the early 70's. Prior to Miami Vice, Hammer had appeared on 11 of his own albums and had played on countless albums for other artists. The Miami Vice Theme was his first song released as a single. After more than 50 years, Hammer is still putting out albums. His 2018 release topped the Billboard New Age album category.

We continue the march to the top with an R&B / soul / pop hit from 1986 . . . another first single from a debut album like many others on the countdown so far.

Jan Hammer wasn't really a household name before or after Miami Vice, but he certainly had his theme song garner tons of attention. The song won 2 Grammy Awards and was a Top 10 hit around the globe. The keyboardist came from Czechoslovakia and joined the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the early 70's. Prior to Miami Vice, Hammer had appeared on 11 of his own albums and had played on countless albums for other artists. The Miami Vice Theme was his first song released as a single. After more than 50 years, Hammer is still putting out albums. His 2018 release topped the Billboard New Age album category.
Hammer also put out a few albums with Neil Schon in the early '80s. 

The song "No More Lies" got a lot of MTV airplay back in 1982.

Hammer also put out a few albums with Neil Schon in the early '80s. 

The song "No More Lies" got a lot of MTV airplay back in 1982.
Speaking of Schon, I vaguely remember seeing Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve in their limited run and only tour in the 1983-1984 range. Here is Missing You from that tour. It was a rather strange period for the guys in the band. It was pre-VH for Hagar (he joined right after this). IIRC, I Can't Drive 55 was released and became a became a mega hit while he was in HSAS. Journey released Frontiers and Schon was touring with Journey, so not sure how he possibly had time to be in HSAS. Bassist Kenny Aaronson was post work with Rick Derringer but before he worked some with Blue Oyster Cult (he would be named bassist of the year by Rolling Stone in 1988). And after his stint with Santana, Michael Shrieve was pretty much looking for work wherever he could get it. Overall, it was a somewhat weird combination with no real chance of long term success as no one had time to give to the band.

Hagar and Schon tried again to be in a band together in 2002 in a group called Planet Us (Hagar, Schon, Michael Anthony, Deen Castronovo, and Joe Satriani). But the same problems arose as with HSAS. All the band members were too busy doing other projects to do anything together. They wrote only two songs and performed them a couple of times and then faded into the sunset. Hagar would later re-record the songs for his solo albums.

On a side note, after Hagar left (got booted from?) Van Halen, Mitch Malloy was a leading candidate to take over singing for the band before they picked Gary Cherone. Here is the band with Malloy singing Panama. There used to be other recordings of him singing with VH on YouTube, but those seem to have disappeared.

Speaking of Schon, I vaguely remember seeing Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve in their limited run and only tour in the 1983-1984 range. Here is Missing You from that tour. It was a rather strange period for the guys in the band. It was pre-VH for Hagar (he joined right after this). IIRC, I Can't Drive 55 was released and became a became a mega hit while he was in HSAS. Journey released Frontiers and Schon was touring with Journey, so not sure how he possibly had time to be in HSAS. Bassist Kenny Aaronson was post work with Rick Derringer but before he worked some with Blue Oyster Cult (he would be named bassist of the year by Rolling Stone in 1988). And after his stint with Santana, Michael Shrieve was pretty much looking for work wherever he could get it. Overall, it was a somewhat weird combination with no real chance of long term success as no one had time to give to the band.
That one HSAS album still holds up well IMO. Their cover of “Whiter Shade of Pale” was really good. 

As for Shrieve, it’s a shame he wasn’t utilized more post-Santana. He was widely praised as being one of the best drummers in the business - to this day, many are in awe of his Woodstock performance (particularly “Soul Sacrifice”) at the ripe young age of 19.

#10 - JAN HAMMER - Miami Vice Theme (#1 - 11/9/1985 - 22 Weeks - 1 Week at #1)
Our first entry in the Top 10, Hammer's theme song came from the Miami Vice Soundtrack album that topped the U.S. album chart for 11 weeks, which held the record for best selling TV soundtrack until 2006 when it was passed by the soundtrack from High School Musical.

The TV series was a crime drama known for having 4 or 5 guest stars each week . . . from actors, to musicians, to athletes, to other well known celebrities. Some places have hailed the show as one of the Top 50 Shows of All Time based on it's look, feel, style, and fresh presentation compared to other shows of its era. I can't really comment, as I never watched it. The theme song has been voted in some polls as the best TV theme song of all time. The show ran for 112 episodes from 1984-1990. Anyone that was anyone at the time as a musical performer contributed songs to the show. The series spawned 5 albums worth of music. 

Jan Hammer wasn't really a household name before or after Miami Vice, but he certainly had his theme song garner tons of attention...
I can still picture the 2 bikini-clad women in that opening sequence.

On a side note, after Hagar left (got booted from?) Van Halen, Mitch Malloy was a leading candidate to take over singing for the band before they picked Gary Cherone. Here is the band with Malloy singing Panama. There used to be other recordings of him singing with VH on YouTube, but those seem to have disappeared.
Here is an unreleased Mitch Malloy/Van Halen song called "It's The Right Time." Eddie had given the instrumental track to Malloy in 1996, and sometime later (years later?) Malloy overdubbed vocals and uploaded the song to the internet. Van Halen also recorded the song with Gary Cherone in 1998, although that version was called "That's Why I Love You". (It was unfortunately omitted from the III album and remains officially unreleased.)

BTW, Malloy has greatly exaggerated his involvement with Van Halen. He was one of at least a dozen singers who auditioned for or jammed with Eddie in the summer of 1996, but none of them were officially offered the job as Van Halen's lead singer. But Malloy claims that he officially joined Van Halen that summer...only to quit after seeing Dave with the band at the MTV Awards later that year. We know this is a lie because Gary Cherone was already living in Eddie's guest house at that time.

Anyway, Malloy had a decent voice. A little too reedy but not any worse than dozens of other hair band guys.

That one HSAS album still holds up well IMO. Their cover of “Whiter Shade of Pale” was really good. 
The weird thing about HSAS is that they did a live concert special that was aired on MTV which featured a bunch of original tunes that weren't even on the album and basically disappeared forever. I always thought that "Ever Since You Came" had strong potential to be an AOR radio hit -- and I think Sammy felt the same way, as he occasionally performed the song during his solo spots when he was in Van Halen, and he released a solo version of the song in 1999.

The first time I heard Jan Hammer was when he was in Jeff Beck's fusion group in the 70s.
There's no question he's kept busy. Across his career working with various groups and performers, he's recorded 75 albums. And other than his contributions to the Miami Vice franchise, I don't believe any of them cracked the Billboard Top 200 album chart.

Users who are viewing this thread