What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2007 Staff IDP Redraft League (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
For those interested, here is the link to the 2007 FBG staff IDP redraft league MFL homepage and draft.

Scoring is similar to standard FBG scoring with small bonuses for PPR and sacks worth slightly more. Starting lineups are QB/2RB/3WR/TE/PK/2DL/3LB/3DB.

The Combatants

Defense Mechanisms (Bloom)

Res Ipsa Loquitur (Grant)

Borbely's Bunker Brigade (Borbely)

Aaron Rudnicki (Rudnicki)

Fake IDP (Pasquino) -- 2006 Champion

Miles Ahead (Magaw)

Gringo (Baker)

earl's finest (Bramel)

Eye of the Guru (Norton)

Maurile Tremblay (Tremblay)

The Iron Maiden (Gray)

Yevaud's Sons (Wimer)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested to see how blooms draft goes since I just had the #1 Slot for an IDP Mock for another site.

Our starting requirements were very similar except we have the ability to start either 2RB/3WR or 3RB/2WR...also we had positional limits for drafting purposes. Also our scoring setup is a bit more tackle friendly(2pts/tackle, 1pt/assist, 3pts/sack) but the biggest difference is that our INTS are only 3pts vs FBGs at 6pts that and all our receptions are .5 each...

This is the team that I was able to assemble:

Leinart, Campbell

LT, Jamal Lewis, Fred Taylor, Lendale White

Fitz, RoyWilliams, Cotchery, Troy Williamson

Cooley, Shiancoe

Kaeding, JBrown

TSuggs, Osi, Andre Carter

Ray Ray, Mike Peterson, Ahmad Brooks, Jon Beason

Michael Lewis, ABethea, Considine, Minter

We had to include a 100-150 word write up on our draft strategy too(here was my write up):

Prior to the start of this draft I formulated a strategy I am calling "Double Dipping". Taking LT #1 was a no-brainer but then at every possible pass my strategy was to take two players from the same position that each had Top 5 upside even if it meant taking a position early. I was able to "Double Dip" the following players Fitzgerald/RoyWilliams, Ray Lewis/MPeterson, TSuggs/Umenyiora thats 7 starters that can finish Top 5 at their positions thru 7 rounds. I knew this strategy would leave me looking at two older vets at RB(JLewis/FTaylor) but nabbed LenDale White(15.1) for some upside. Leinart/Cooley was my first non "Double Dip" but I love the upside of Leinart and Cooley is another top 5 type player. DB is deep enough that I was able to mine four good starters late. This team is loaded with difference makers and should really make some noise.

I am interested to see how blooms draft goes since I just had the #1 Slot for an IDP Mock for another site.

Our starting requirements were very similar except we have the ability to start either 2RB/3WR or 3RB/2WR...also we had positional limits for drafting purposes. Also our scoring setup is a bit more tackle friendly(2pts/tackle, 1pt/assist, 3pts/sack) but the biggest difference is that our INTS are only 3pts vs FBGs at 6pts that and all our receptions are .5 each...

Leinart, Campbell

Cooley, Shiancoe

Kaeding, JBrown

We had to include a 100-150 word write up on our draft strategy too(here was my write up):

Prior to the start of this draft I formulated a strategy I am calling "Double Dipping". Taking LT #1 was a no-brainer but then at every possible pass my strategy was to take two players from the same position that each had Top 5 upside even if it meant taking a position early. I was able to "Double Dip" the following players Fitzgerald/RoyWilliams, Ray Lewis/MPeterson, TSuggs/Umenyiora thats 7 starters that can finish Top 5 at their positions thru 7 rounds. I knew this strategy would leave me looking at two older vets at RB(JLewis/FTaylor) but nabbed LenDale White(15.1) for some upside. Leinart/Cooley was my first non "Double Dip" but I love the upside of Leinart and Cooley is another top 5 type player. DB is deep enough that I was able to mine four good starters late. This team is loaded with difference makers and should really make some noise.
:thumbup: i like that team alot

Scoring does make a difference but I thought I would take a look at the draft positions of my players vs the FBGs Draft

Player My Draft vs FBGs Draft(both are 12 team drafts)

LT 1.1 vs 1.1

Fitz 2.12(24th) vs 2.9(21st)

Roy Williams 3.1(25th) vs 3.2(26th)

Ray Ray 4.12(48th) vs 10.6(114th)

Mike Peterson 5.1(49th) vs 9.8(104th)

TSuggs 6.12(72nd) vs 8.10(94th)

Osi 7.1(73rd) vs 12.5(137th)

Jamal Lewis 8.12(96th) vs 6.6(66th)

Fred Taylor 9.1(97th) vs 8.2(86th)

Cooley 10.12(120th) vs 10.4(112th)

Leinart 11.1(121st) vs 13.8(152nd)

Cotchery 12.12(144th) vs 6.11(71st)

Beason 13.1(145th) vs 20.10(238th)

Ahmad Brooks 14.12(168th) vs 14.4(160th)

Lendale White 15.1(169th) vs 14.8(164th)

Michael Lewis 16.12(192nd) vs 13.9(153rd)

ABethea 17.1(193rd) vs 19.7(223rd)

Considine 18.12(216th) vs 21.12(252nd)

TWilliamson 19.1(217th) vs 20.07(235th)

Andre Carter 20.12(240th) vs 22.7(259th)

Mike Minter 21.1(241st) vs UNDRAFTED

Campbell 22.12(264th) vs 14.9(165th)

Kaeding 23.1(265th) vs UNDRAFTED

Shiancoe 24.12(288th) vs UNDRAFTED

Josh Brown 25.1(289th) vs UNDRAFTED

Leinart, Campbell

Cooley, Shiancoe

Kaeding, JBrown

:lmao: i like that team alot
thanks

The defending champion's team so far through 24 selections:

1.05 5. Fake IDP Westbrook, Brian PHI RB - I'm sure you are all shocked.

2.08 20. Fake IDP Holt, Torry STL WR

3.11 35. Fake IDP Taylor, Jason MIA DE - Shooting the lock off of the IDPs...

4.02 38. Fake IDP Evans, Lee BUF WR

5.11 59. Fake IDP Shockey, Jeremy NYG TE

6.02 62. Fake IDP Barber, Marion DAL RB

7.11 83. Fake IDP Thomas, Zach MIA LB

8.02 86. Fake IDP Taylor, Fred JAC RB

9.11 107. Fake IDP Stallworth, Donte' NEP WR

10.02 110. Fake IDP Vick, Michael ATL QB

11.11 131. Fake IDP Muhammad, Muhsin CHI WR

12.02 134. Fake IDP Posluszny, Paul BUF LB

13.11 155. Fake IDP Taylor, Sean WAS S

14.02 158. Fake IDP Barnett, Nick GBP LB

15.11 179. Fake IDP Whitner, Donte BUF S

16.02 182. Fake IDP Miller, Heath PIT TE

17.11 203. Fake IDP Cole, Trent PHI DE

18.02 206. Fake IDP Smith, Alex SFO QB

19.11 227. Fake IDP Carter, Drew CAR WR

20.02 230. Fake IDP Crowell, Angelo BUF LB

21.11 251. Fake IDP Ruud, Barrett TBB LB

22.02 254. Fake IDP Buckhalter, Correll PHI RB

23.11 275. Fake IDP Engram, Bobby SEA WR

24.02 278. Fake IDP Rolle, Antrel ARI CB

Multiple comments and analysis will follow when we're done, but I just thought I would mention that I did swap 1st/2nd picks with Clayton.

BigSteelThrill said:
While by no stretch does an opinion mean anything so far away from the season...The teams I like are Magaw followed by Pasquino. :lmao:
some of us will do writeups on our team here after the draft...for now, i can say a few things...didn't look any further than division i'm in, but looking at the owners (also jene, aaron and dave) i can already tell it will be a snake pit to try & emerge from...1 - didn't plan on getting 3 RBs with first four picks... could have had SA instead of addai at 1.06... 3.06 might have been slightly high for peterson, but i'm super high on him (& lucked out by getting taylor handcuff very late, when i hadn't prioritized it)... cadillac seemed like too good a value in 4th round to pass up (& a hedge in case AD & taylor split carries so evenly the effectively null each other out, though i expect peterson to take control of the RBBC before mid-season)...2 - took TO WR3 (after smith & CJ)... very easily could have taken holt, but i think TO will be better in year two with romo, he had a broken finger last season, led league in drops & still led league in receiving TDs... plus DAL may have more wide open, downfield attack in '07 to take advantage of what romo does well... CJII maybe a reach in 5th round, but like peterson, i think he could be a once-a-decade/generation-type talent, & think he has upside as WR2, & having d-jax & santonio holmes as WR3/4 mitigates risk... williamson boom-bust pick later... if the nike vision work helps him to see the ball better (he has the hand-eye coordination to catch), he could be one of the most explosive WRs in the game after the catch... though even in best case scenarios his top end production likely limited by youth & inexperience of QB jackson...3 - didn't get a top 5 QB (wanted bulger in 6th but sniped by maurille... if bulger stays healthy he could be in the mix for QB2 with palmer, brees & brady, after manning)... did get my QB2 early, & like the upside of the kitna/romo combo... either or both could come close to top 5... hopefully less risky together than by themselves...4 - similarly waited on TE, but got TE2 early, & like upside of watson/mcmichael combo...5 - surprised to be able to get starting LB trio of witherspoon, bart scott & donnie edwards (switching teams & positions to WLB)... they could all be top 10, maybe better... adalius thomas could be solid depth...6 - by prioritizing offense & LB earlier in draft had to make compromises at DL & DB... sometimes i have conscious strategy of relying on my knowledge of sleeper DL & DBs to find hidden gems later (meanwhile loading up at other positions not likely to have quality available later) but it doesn't always work... & lately even sleeper candidates have been getting sniped...7 - at DL, jared allen misses first month but could produce at top 5 level rest of the way... ty warren not a household name but was top 10 last year & did it with sacks & a bunch of tackles, which might be reproducible... carter did little first half of the season but then caught fire... when projecting his last 4-6 weeks stats (he was with new team, scheme) if he could sustain them for a whole season, he would surge up to top 5-10 DL...8 - DBs will be a motley crew (& still a work in progess)... clements at his best could put up top 5-15 DB numbers... archuleta is a total roll of the dice (but gotten relatively late if he clicks)... he had his most productive seasons under lovie smith in STL, & smith certainly knows how to best position him for success... i was seriously bummed to just miss out on richard marshall & antrel rolle recently for DB2 & DB3... imo they have top 10-20 DB upside... kudos to other owners for sniping them...* it would be remiss to not mention that waiting on IDPs can backfire in a big way (especially in leagues like this where the talent among the owners is pretty evenly distributed)... if new to the format, it might be better to prioritize D more in middle rounds (depending on scoring system), and even if knowledgable the waiting on IDPs strategy can be dangerous...elite, blue chip defensive players are very valuable in this format, in some cases, even relative to skill position players... if you whiff on mid-round offensive players while fellow owners are nailing their cumulative defensive selections, it can lead to slim pickings at the end, & if you fail to backfill IDPs during the mid-part & endgame of the draft, you can be in a world of hurt... :hophead:

1 - didn't plan on getting 3 RBs with first four picks... could have had SA instead of addai at 1.06... 3.06 might have been slightly high for peterson, but i'm super high on him (& lucked out by getting taylor handcuff very late, when i hadn't prioritized it)... cadillac seemed like too good a value in 4th round to pass up (& a hedge in case AD & taylor split carries so evenly the effectively null each other out, though i expect peterson to take control of the RBBC before mid-season)...
I think a 3RB in 4pick start is safe when WR was the 2nd pick, but I don't like it as much as I did a few years ago. I consciously try to avoid it believing a combo of later round RBs is protection enough and another top WR makes my starting lineup more powerful, but you're right about the value you were looking at. Good luck, Bob.And thanks guys. This thread got the juices flowing for my 25 round IDP redraft last year, and I'm just starting to peruse your draft, but it's doing it again.

Fake IDP (Pasquino) -- 2006 Champion
Congrats Jeff! Iirc you were relatively new to IDPs, loaded up early, and most importantly...I predicted them Fake IDPs had the best shot after the draft! :popcorn:
Well, I won't say new to it, but certainly newer to the depth (and just started doing full team 11 IDP leagues). I went with "Fake IDP" because it has been a running joke that I didn't know IDP at all when I was hired (something I might have exaggerated a little, but I'm nowhere near as hardcore as Jene, Bloom, Norton, Ruds, etc.) - but the funny part was that Mike Anderson thought that my IDP depth and knowledge was the reason I was brought on board. When I noted I had 2000+ post in the SP and exactly ONE in the IDP forum at the time, well, the joke was on........."Fake IDP" was an homage to that persona, and given that I'm defending champ (yes I'll be milking that all year) I'm not changing it.So the bottom line - how you win is figuring out strategy. That's my forte - strategy. I see the format and know how to attack the draft. Even if I misstep (and I often screw up somewhere, it happens) I can still recover. Last year I had the #1 pick but still fumbled it (took LJ over LT2 :yes: ) - but I saw the value for stud MLBs and took two at the 4/5 turn IIRC (Zach Thomas, Urlacher). That helped a ton. Also hearing about Chris Hope's role in TEN last year (analagous to Palomalu's in PIT) and getting him with my last pick was probably the SOD.So that was a goal here - get value at LB. ZT is a mainstay for me, but I started with Jason Taylor (my #2 on my list, not my #1 - might have been an error there, but I love both) as the first overall IDP player selected. I share Bloom's opinion that these two are the cream of the crop and getting them is like getting Gates at TE - head and shoulders above the rest of the position, so you have a weekly advantage.Getting Westy via a trade and also his attractive bye (not many other teams share a "5" this year where I want their RBs - CIN, MIN, OAK) which gave me later flexibility in the draft.

I will have more to say once we finish drafting. For now, here is my projected starting lineup:

QB: Donovan McNabb

RB: Larry Johnson, Ronnie Brown

WR: Marques Colston, Hines Ward, Mark Clayton

TE: Antonio Gates

DE: Terrell Suggs, Aaron Schobel

LB: Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Jon Beason

DB: Brian Dawkins, Antoine Winfield, Rodney Harrison

I like this lineup a lot. Being a league which is favorable to TE's, and taking Gates for that reason, I think I did well at WR considering the wait until late round 4 to pick my first one.

I will have more to say once we finish drafting. For now, here is my projected starting lineup:QB: Donovan McNabbRB: Larry Johnson, Ronnie BrownWR: Marques Colston, Hines Ward, Mark ClaytonTE: Antonio GatesDE: Terrell Suggs, Aaron SchobelLB: Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Job BeasonDB: Brian Dawkins, Antoine Winfield, Rodney HarrisonI like this lineup a lot. Being a league which is favorable to TE's, and taking Gates for that reason, I think I did well at WR considering the wait until late round 4 to pick my first one.
Nice lineup. Round 4 is a good spot to get Colston. Beason could be ROY if Morgan goes down.Odell and C Henry too, Going for the Bengals Penal Contingent.

I'm a little bored this afternoon, and I'll finish up my thoughts on my back end guys as I draft them, but since I had the time, here's the who/where/why of my 2007 draft.

Short version:

If you don’t like reading my long ramblings, the short version of this is that I’m much happier this year with the result and very much like a starting lineup of:

QB Leinart or Rivers

RB Parker/Portis

WR Houshmandzadeh/AJohnson/Hackett

TE Daniels or Pollard

DL Umenyiora/White or Geathers

LB Peterson/DJWilliams/Willis

DB AWilson/Hope/Landry

May end up regretting not taking a TE sooner and would feel more comfortable with an established DL2 but you can’t have everything. I think there’s a lot of relative value on the roster and feel like this team should contend for a playoff spot.

Long version:

After coming out of last year’s 33 round draft with what proved to be only three players with any kind of consistent week-to-week production and fully realizing my making the playoffs was the worst kind of travashamockery, I was pretty sure I needed to script things a little differently this year. But I remain a big believer in pushing relative advantage where available and will comfortably slough any position if there’s better relative value to be had elsewhere. I’m hoping the execution of that strategy works better this season than last.

I entered the draft with a two pronged strategy. Get two RBs and two WRs in the first four rounds, taking the BPA at each point. I would consider a 3rd WR if there was no clear RB2 value during those rounds, but didn’t expect that to happen with this group.

That’s about how it played out.

1.08 Willie Parker

2.05 Clinton Portis

3.08 TJ Houshmandzadeh

4.05 Andre Johnson

I was expecting to have a very tough decision between Alexander, Maroney and Henry at 1.08 and was pleasantly surprised to grab Parker. I was just as pleased to get Portis at 2.05. I don’t think Betts will make this a RBBC and I expect Portis to be active enough as a pass catcher on early downs and at the goal line to keep him in the top 15 if he stays healthy. TJ Championship was a tough call over Lee Evans, but I decided to take the better QB and overall offense. And I think the poor red zone output of Johnson was a fluke last year. If the targets remain high, and how could they not, I think AJ will be a very good WR2.

The second part of my strategy depends on whether my LB rankings this year are correct. I’m significantly higher on Mike Peterson, DJ Williams, Patrick Willis and Ahmad Brooks than the rest of the staff. I think the first three have top ten potential and Brooks may well be top 25. These guys (and a couple of others) were either going to fall to me a little later or I would have some consensus higher ranked backers drop to my anyway. So, against all that is holy to a veteran IDP owner, I planned to slough LBs until at least the 8th round.

5.08 Adrian Wilson

6.05 Chris Hope

7.08 DJ Hackett

8.05 Kevin Jones

9.08 Mike Peterson

10.05 DJ Williams

11.08 Patrick Willis

As Plaxico Burress continued to fall in the fifth round, I had my eyes on what would have been the best WR corps I may have ever had in a redraft IDP league. Not because I think these three are clearly top fifteen options, it’s just that I’m usually targeting stud IDPs and sloughing offense right now. When Baker crushed my dream at 5.07 (you’re on my list, Baker), I shifted to Plan A2. I think there are eight stud DBs this year, guys that have LB2 potential in this system. I want as many of them as possible for the extreme relative advantage they’ll provide. Wilson and Hope will hopefully be the first of what becomes six LB2 or better scores every week. I’m buying into the DJ Hackett hype and, while I cringed over the backers while I did it, Kevin Jones was way too good to pass up in the 8th, injury concerns aside. I absolutely love Peterson/Williams/Willis as the 10th-12th-17th backers off the board. So far, I’m pretty happy.

Now, the plan is to take BPA, paying attention to big dropoff value and highest upside, the rest of the way. I’m not particulary enamored with any of the QB/TE right now, but figured I’d have to take a couple of QBs soon since a couple owners were already looking at their QB2.

The rest of the draft with some short thoughts along the way.

12.05 Osi Umenyiora – Still has top five potential when healthy

13.08 Matt Leinart – Just a humble IDP guy but I think he’s better than the 16th QB overall

14.05 Philip Rivers – Wanted Ahmad Brooks badly here (Norton’s on the list)

15.08 Derrick Mason – Wanted Jared Allen or Brandon Jones here (Bloom/Magaw = list)

16.05 LaRon Landry – Landry will have a bigger impact in my lineup than more than half the names that came off the board in the 24 picks prior. I’ll go to my IDP grave arguing that sloughing IDPs because of offensive positional scarcity is a poor strategy.

17.08 Chad Greenway

18.05 Lorenzo Booker – Hate him but likely to get snaps during a bye week

19.08 Dewayne White – Grand plan was to get Allen; should’ve pulled the trigger before the 15th.

20.05 Owen Daniels – Couldn’t slough TE any longer. Might pay for not addressing sooner.

21.08 Bernard Pollard – See Landry, LaRon. Borbely and Bloom go on the list for Beason and Battle.

22.05 Michael Jenkins – Not bad as a WR5

23.08 Marcus Pollard

24.05 Robert Geathers

25.08 David Harris – Another guy I’m higher on than just about anyone else

26.05 Demorrio Williams – Rehab reports are good

27.08 Anthony Gonzalez

28.05 Deon Grant

29.08 Omar Gaither

30.05 Olindo Mare

31.08 Ernest Wilford

32.05 Aaron Rouse

33.08 Erasmus James

Bramel, your picks of Osi, Hackett, and Greenway also made me :moneybag: - I think you have one of the two or three strongest squads in the league right now :bloomed:

i was sleeping peacefully last night, & was roused by a horrific nightmare... jene's DBs... OUCH...

wilson, hope & landry is stupid...

landry was earmarked for my squad, & you are just borrowing him temporarily...

This will likely assure my Clayton-like finish this year, but this draft went about as ideal for me as any in a few years.

Last year I went Peyton in the first round and disliked the rest of my draft. Although I finished in the playoffs, I had an idea there would be no first round QB for me. Instead, I emphasized waiting on QB and went heavy with WRs, something I love to do. With Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress and Chris Chambers, I think I have the best group pf four in the league. I added Dwayne Jarrett and Bobby Wade too.

My biggest gambit is at QB, where I waited until round 13 to get my first. I am one of the few that actually like Eli Manning's prospects this year and knew he'd last until very late. I'm not completely ignorant of his second half collapse and bouts of inconsistency though, so I added Delhomme and Losman, both guys with legitimate upside.

At RB, getting Alexander was nice at 1.07. Cedric Benson in the third and Jamal Lewis in the sixth gave me three guys to turn to all year long. If Joe Thomas signs early with Cleveland, Lewis could end up around top 15 running behind Thomas and Steinbach on the left side.

At tight end, I really like Jason Witten and I should finish in the top half of TE points in the league. Zach Miller could put up decent numbers with Oakland too.

I decided to wait a little on LBs and DBs and roll with DEs. I've been pimping Robert Mathis for a while and gobbled him up. Adding Charles Grant and Dwight Freeney gives me a group of DEs to stand up against anyone.

At LB, Ray Lewis shoudl at least be good for one more top five finish, and Gary Brackett has no competition and if healthy is a top 15 guy. Karlos Dansby is a huge playmaker with solid upside this year. EJ Henderson should have a career year and Keith Ellison is in a great spot.

At DB, I got Kerry Rhodes early and he's one of the very best. Antoine Bethea and Marlin Jackson gives me two of the valuable cover two DBs for the Colts. Brodney Pool has nice upside this year and Sharper adds consistency in case of injury.

The entire league has done a nice job of drafting. We kid Clayton a lot, but he's more than held his own too.

my squad:

QB

Ben Roethlisberger (13.04)

Jason Campbell (14.09)

Rex Grossman (19.04)

I waited a long time to grab my starter. I just couldn't pull the trigger on any of the top-8 or so and then figured I could safely wait once most people had grabbed their starters. I think Ben is going to be very productive this year with a strong group of weapons and a new coaching staff. Campbell put up great numbers last year and should be a strong #2. Given I waited awhile to grab my first 2, I wanted a 3rd QB who had a starting job locked up and I think Grossman qualifies. All 3 have different bye weeks so I should be covered for the year.

RB

Frank Gore (1.04)

Deuce McAllister (4.09)

Jerious Norwood (8.09)

Leon Washington (16.09)

Mike Bell (21.04)

I was very happy to land a top-4 pick so Gore gives me a stud RB to build around. I went WR in rounds 2 and 3 but was happy to still land Deuce in the late 4th. I didn't think RBs were as valuable in this league as they normally are, but I think Norwood will make a very solid RB3 and I thought he was great value at the end of round 8. Waited awhile before taking any more but I think Washington is a player who will get points every week due to his receiving skills, and Bell should have been gone long before round 21 given that he is the primary handcuff to Travis Henry in a dominant running offense. I see potential in this group, but having a stud like Gore definitely keeps me competitive with anyone.

WR

Larry Fitzgerald (2.09)

Marvin Harrison (3.04)

Braylon Edwards (6.09)

Kevin Curtis (10.09)

Wes Welker (24.09)

Nate Washington (29.04)

I'll take my starting 3 WRs over anyone else's in the league and that should clearly be the strength of my team. I think Curtis will put up numbers comparable to those from Reggie Brown and Donte Stallworth last year and provide good depth and bye week/injury coverage. Given the strength of my top-4, I waited a long time before drafting any more WRs but I think Welker and Washington will be productive slot WRs in potent offenses that can be plugged into the lineup if necessary.

TE

Todd Heap (5.04)

Desmond Clark (22.09)

Given the TE-friendly scoring, I wanted a stud so I was happy to land Heap in the 5th. Clark was incredible value in the 22nd round given how productive he was a year ago.

PK

Jeff Wilkins (28.09)

Love the Rams offense this year and I think Wilkins will have a huge year as a result.

DL

Aaron Kampman (7.04)

Leonard Little (11.04)

Kyle VandenBosch (17.04)

Chris Kelsay (30.09)

I like having stud DL that I can rely on for consistent production every week. I think Kampman and Little are both top-5 type of players who will give me a big edge over pretty much every other team. VandenBosch wasn't a need but seemed like the best player available and will give me a solid backup who can start during bye weeks. Kelsay signed a big contract so I assume the Bills will give him more playing time this year. He's due for a breakout season.

LB

Lofa Tatupu (9.04)

Ernie Sims (12.09)

Derrick Brooks (15.04)

Morlon Greenwood (20.09)

Bradie James (26.09)

Tatupu didn't seem to build on his rookie performance in year 2 but he still finished 2006 as the #15 ranked LB and only scored 10 fewer fantasy points than he did the year before. I like that type of consistency and reliability from my LB1 and I view him as a very safe pick with a great chance to crack the top-10. Sims just missed the top-30 as a rookie but managed to play in every game and I expect him to join the elite fantasy LBs this year. Brooks is old but he finished as LB17 in this scoring system a year ago...just 2 points behind Tatupu. He's safe, reliable, and should make an excellent LB3 for my squad. Last 2 players here were value picks. Greenwood isn't an exciting player but he was LB25 in 2006 and LB28 in 2005 so assuming no big dropoff in production, he should be a very solid LB4. Bradie James was LB29 in this system a year ago and figures to play the Donnie Edwards role in Wade Phillips defense. Not sure why I was able to get him in the 26th round while a completely unproven player like Matt Wilhelm went in the 12th, but I'll gladly take him as my LB5.

DB

Ed Reed (18.09)

Kenoy Kennedy (23.04)

Ken Hamlin (25.04)

Dre Bly (27.04)

Terrence McGee (31.04)

This wound up being my weakest position but it was by design. After the top handful of players at this position, they all pretty much looked the same to me. I believe that DB scoring is often the hardest to predict and the easiest spot to fill with late picks and waiver pickups. Reed was the #1 scoring DB not too long ago and always has big potential due to his playmaking skills. I think Kennedy can be very productive if he stays healthy. Not a big Hamlin fan in Dallas but he was proven and I think worth the risk at that spot of the draft. Bly may not be as physical as Darrent Williams was but he's excellent in coverage with tremendous ball skills so I think he'll thrive playing opposite Champ. McGee should collect 70 tackles with a shot at 3 or 4 interceptions and probably a TD or two. I'll take my chances with these guys even though they lack the star power that many other teams have.

Aaron and I had similar draft plans, it seems. We both went QB late, both went heavy on WR (despite both going RB in round one), both went heavy at DE and waited a bit on DB (although I got Rhodes).

Perhaps not coincidentally, I think Aaron has one of the better teams in the league and am not pleased to see him in my division.

Well, I was lucky enough to draw the #1 overall pick, so that focused my draft strategy. I decided that having LT made it more important to minimize risk with my early picks, since I had a nice advantage at RB1 already. The scoring in this league is also a bit different than what you might be used to:6 pts per passing TD

.25 PPR for WR/RB

.5 PPR for TE

1.5 per tackle, .75 per assist for LB/CB

2 per tackle, 1 per assist for DL

6 per INT

3.5 per sack for LB, 4 for DB, 5 for DL

to give you an idea of how this plays out (based on 2006 stats):

QBs range from 12 PPG for "the pack" to about 20 for Manning/McNabb (Brees 16.8, Bulger 16.1, Brady 14.5 and so on). 3 of the 10 and 11 of the top 41 overall scorers were QBs.

RBs range from 27 PPG for LT, 21 and change for LJ and SJax, Westbrook 18ish, Gore, Parker 17ish, "the pack" around 11-12. There were 7 RBs in the top 12 scorers, but only 11 in the rest of the top 100.

WRs range from 14 PPG for Harrison and Smith, 4 guys in the 13s, 6 in the 12s, and a decent sized "pack" in the 9-11 range. Only 11 WRs were in the top 100 scorers. Only 25 in the top 200.

TEs range from 16.2 for Gates and 15.7 for Gonzo to 11-12 for the rest of the first tier guys, and then a steep dropoff. Only 12 TEs averaged over 7.5 PPG. Gates was the #10 overall scorer. Gonzo was #20.

DLs range from 16 for Taylor and around 15 for Allen and Kampman, about 10 more guys in the 11-12 range, 8 in the 10s, 7 in the 9s, then a huge pack in the 7-8 range.

LBs range from Ryans, Fletcher, Merriman in the 15s, 4 more in the 14s, 5 in the 13s, and then appx 10 each in the 12s, 11s, and 10s, with a decent sized pack in the 8s and 9s.

DBs were led by Bailey with a shade over 14, Hope and Wilson in the 13s, 8 guys in the 12s, 5 in the 11s, then a HUGE pack in the 9s and 10s.

I set these priorities:Getting one of the top 5 QBs (abandoning my usual strategy of getting VY, because of the 6 pts per TD). I see passing QBs emphasized in this setup.

Getting one of the top 3 TEs, with a hope for Gates at 24. I see TE as the most emphasized position in this setup.

Getting Peppers or Taylor at the 6/7 turn, and getting three of my top 15 DL. I see DL as the most emphasized IDP position.

Throwing a pick at RB2 in my first 10, but otherwise not focusing on it, and instead stocking up on some decent backups late. I would only want to heavily invest in my RB2 if I thought he had a shot to be a top 6-8 kind of guy and give me a big edge, and I figured none of those guys would fall to 24/25.

Getting a very good WR1, and maybe WR2 if the value is right, and otherwise throwing some mid round picks at the position. I see WR as severely deemphasized in this setup, even though we start 3.

Getting ballhawks at DB - an INT is worth the same as a TD! I usually go with Aaron's "slough DB because it is so deep" strategy, but the 6 ppINT swayed me to spend a few early picks on guys I could plug in every week and "fuggedaboutit"

Getting an anchor early for my LB corps, then going with Hawk or Ware as my #2 (undervalued across the board in IDP leagues), and a committee at LB3 that would include at least on new kid on the block like Keiaho, Greenway, Willis.

With all that qualification, here's what I ended up with:

QB

Carson Palmer (2.12)

Steve McNair (18.12)

I would have happily passed on Palmer and taken Gates if he had fallen to the 2/3 turn. He didn't. I suppose I could have Palmer slide and instead gone with an RB (Benson or Ronnie Brown) or a WR2 (Probably Roy Williams) to match with Reggie Wayne, who was my pick at 3.01. I wussed out a bit and took Palmer, because 22 picks is a long time wait and I would have been :thumbup: if 4 QBs went in that span (and I really thought it was possible in this scoring), and I felt it was important to err on the safe side since I had LT. Palmer was still shaking off rust and dealing with a somewhat porous line last year. I think he's the clear #2 QB this year, and he's also build much sturdier than Brees or Bulger, which is who i would have been looking at at the 4/5 turn. With Palmer I felt I could wait a long time to take a backup (if Palmer goes down, oh well, I wasnt going to invest a high pick on a backup). McNair was one of the last viable backups, and I got him right before a prodigous backup QB run, so I got lucky.

RB

LT (1.01)

DeAngelo Williams (4.12)

Turner (16.12)

DeDe Dorsey (24.12)

Sammy Morris (28.12)

Michael Robinson (29.01)

I know the stud RB purists will hate what I have here, but Im fine with it. I have the SD RB locked up. DeAngelo will be my default #2. I probably should have taken Foster at the 14/15 turn, but I liked what I got there (Brandon Jones and Will Smith) more, and thought he might fall to 16/17, where I would have happily taken him. CAR and SD both have week 7 byes, so yes, Ill be hurting that week. The philosophy of my backup RB crew was: no week 7 byes, some touches even while the starter is healthy, starters that dont have a clear injury record, potent offenses. The potency of SF's offense can be argued, but otherwise, I like what I've got. I think Dorsey is vastly underrated by the fantasy community right now. If there's any offense that you can just "plug and play" an RB with a pulse and expect production, it's Indy's.

WR

Reggie Wayne (3.01)

Brandon Marshall (8.12)

Isaac Bruce (9.01)

Brandon Jones (15.01)

Demetrius Williams (20.12)

Arnaz Battle (21.01)

Derek Hagan (30.12)

Well, I was met with frustration at every turn when it came to WR. Looking back, taking Roy Williams instead of Palmer would have helped a LOT. I wanted Colston at 4.12, he went at 4.10. I wanted Edwards at 6.12, he went at 6.09. In both cases, they were the last WR of a tier, and I didnt see anyone from the next tier that really stood out, especially with the toned down scoring at WR. I felt comfortable with getting 2 of my 3rd tier WRs at the 8/9 turn. I had to choose two of Marshall, Holmes, Berrian, and Bruce. Berrian would have been safer than Marshall, but y'all know the story there. I really didn't think WR was going to be this big a problem with the muted scoring, but everyone drafted as if this was a PPR league or something. I think Jones and Battle are both great sleepers, and I see a 50-75% chance that I can get a startable guy from them week to week. Williams is my favorite deep sleeper at WR this year, he will pass Mason before the year is over. Hagan could pass Booker, we'll see, Greg Bedard (Palm Beach Post) told us on the Audible this coaching staff has really brought out the best in him so far this offseason.

TE

Gonzo (5.01)

Vernon Davis (11.01)

Gonzo was easy in this format. As I said earlier, I wanted Gates, but Borbely sniped him. Heap was a consideration, but Gonzo is an old standby. I wasn't planning on taking a 2nd TE, after all, I had Gonzo, but I was sick of watching Davis fall. I saw him as the last top tier TE, with top 3 upside. I feel strongly that someone is going to want to trade for Gonzo or Davis with the steep dropoff at TE, and honestly, I saw him in the top 50-75 overall in this scoring, so getting him at 121, and as the last of the #1 guys (in my mind at least) was a steal. I also had him way ahead of any QBs WRs and RBs left in value at that point in the draft. I won't be surprised if I end up starting Davis more than Gonzo if I can't trade one.

DL

Julius "Sergeant" Peppers (6.12)

Will Smith (14.12)

John Abraham (19.01)

I achieved my objective here - 3 top end DL (I don't see much I like at DL after 15 or so, at least in scoring like this league where the curve is much steeper). Peppers is a guy I aim for in every IDP league. The first half of last year showed us exactly what he is capable of - #1 overall IDP kind of scoring. I really wanted Osi bad as my #2 at the 12/13 turn, but Jene sniped him at 12.05. If I hadn't taken Davis at 11.01, then the pick would have been Mathis, but I really thought Osi was going to fall after an injury riddled 06. Will Smith is no consolation to scoff at, he's a top notch DL2, with DL1 upside. John Abraham just needs to be healthy for the bye weeks... but he has the potential to be a top 10 player when healthy. I could see myself starting him over Smith some weeks.

LB

London Fletcher-Baker (7.01)

Demarcus Ware (12.12)

Freddy Keiaho (17.01)

Daryl Smith (22.12)

DQwell Jackson (26.12)

Manny Lawson (27.01)

Paris Lenon (31.01)

Fletcher-Baker was a bit of a punt at 7.01. I didnt see any WRs that stood out, I felt we were at the beginning of the long and wide 3rd tier. I could have taken a safer RB2 to pair with DeAngelo like Fred Taylor or Warrick Dunn (or a high risk guy like Kevin Jones), but I expected TE/QB/IDP to start being priorities for everyone, so I thought there was a good chance one would fall to the 8/9 turn. I would have jumped on AJ Hawk at the 10/11 turn, but he went to Wimer at the 9/10 turn, so at that point I was fine with Ware as my LB2. He was #20 on a PPG basis last year, that should only improve in the attack based Wade Philips defense. After that I was fine with biding my time, because I felt I only had one everyweek starter to fill. Keiaho will be the guy, but if he doesnt step up, my crew of youngsters all have high upside and good roles. I toyed with the idea of going with 3 of my first 11 picks at LB to attempt to get LB1s at every position, but I felt good about my ability to uncover value later.

DB

Champ Bailey (10.12)

Charles Tillman (13.01)

Richard Marshall (23.01)

Michael Huff (25.01)

I focused on ballhawks here, and got the king of them all, Champ Bailey. He was #1 in PPG last year among DBs, #2 in 2005 (Tillman was #1). Tillman is a ballhawk not quite on Bailey's level, but he makes up for it by being active in run D. I was always planning on marshall as my DB3 - I wrote the upside for his faceoff if you want the whole story as to why. I took at flier on Huff at my DB4 because I think he can make a huge step this year as a Reed like centerfielder and playmaker, and again, ballhawks are emphasized in this scoring. Overall I am fine with carrying little depth here because of that huge pack on the WW who are fine bye week/injury fill-ins.

So there you have it, lots of safe boring picks early (Palmer, Wayne, Gonzo, Fletcher-Baker, Peppers, Bailey, Tillman, Ware, WSmith). I was really trying to lock in the value of most of my first 15 picks with quality everyweek starters instead of high risk/high rewards guys because I felt LT gave me that luxury. I focused on building a core of guys at every position that I will plug in every week without even pausing, and leaving a couple of positions (RB2, WR3, DB3, LB3) that I could throw some darts at, focus on in free agency, and maybe improve with a trade or two. Last year my team (drafted mainly while I was on painkillers) was one of the best in the league all year, and then flopped in the playoffs (which is generally my fantasy MO).

The scoring in this league is also a bit different than what you might be used to:6 pts per passing TD.25 PPR for WR/RB.5 PPR for TE1.5 per tackle, .75 per assist for LB/CB2 per tackle, 1 per assist for DL6 per INT3.5 per sack for LB, 4 for DB, 5 for DLto give you an idea of how this plays out (based on 2006 stats):QBs range from 12 PPG for "the pack" to about 20 for Manning/McNabb (Brees 16.8, Bulger 16.1, Brady 14.5 and so on). 3 of the 10 and 11 of the top 41 overall scorers were QBs.RBs range from 27 PPG for LT, 21 and change for LJ and SJax, Westbrook 18ish, Gore, Parker 17ish, "the pack" around 11-12. There were 7 RBs in the top 12 scorers, but only 11 in the rest of the top 100.WRs range from 14 PPG for Harrison and Smith, 4 guys in the 13s, 6 in the 12s, and a decent sized "pack" in the 9-11 range. Only 11 WRs were in the top 100 scorers. Only 25 in the top 200.TEs range from 16.2 for Gates and 15.7 for Gonzo to 11-12 for the rest of the first tier guys, and then a steep dropoff. Only 12 TEs averaged over 7.5 PPG. Gates was the #10 overall scorer. Gonzo was #20.DLs range from 16 for Taylor and around 15 for Allen and Kampman, about 10 more guys in the 11-12 range, 8 in the 10s, 7 in the 9s, then a huge pack in the 7-8 range.LBs range from Ryans, Fletcher, Merriman in the 15s, 4 more in the 14s, 5 in the 13s, and then appx 10 each in the 12s, 11s, and 10s, with a decent sized pack in the 8s and 9s.DBs were led by Bailey with a shade over 14, Hope and Wilson in the 13s, 8 guys in the 12s, 5 in the 11s, then a HUGE pack in the 9s and 10s.I set these priorities:Getting one of the top 5 QBs (abandoning my usual strategy of getting VY, because of the 6 pts per TD). I see QB emphasized in this setup.Getting one of the 3 TEs, with a hope for Gates at 24. I see TE as the most emphasized position in this setup.Getting Peppers or Taylor at the 6/7 turn, and getting three of my top 10 DL. I see DL as the most emphasized IDP position.Throwing a pick at RB2 in my first 10, but otherwise not focusing on it, and instead stocking up on some decent backups late. I would only want to heavily invest in my RB2 if I thought he had a shot to be a top 6-8 kind of guy and give me a big edge, and I figured none of those guys would fall to 24/25.Getting a very good WR1, and maybe WR2 if the value is right, and otherwise throwing some mid round picks at the position. I see WR as severely deemphasized in this setup, even though we start 3.Getting ballhawks at DB - an INT is worth the same as a TD! I usually go with Aaron's "slough DB because it is so deep" strategy, but the 6 ppINT swayed me to spend a few early picks on guys I could plug in every week and "fuggedaboutit"Getting an anchor early for my LB corps, then going with Ware as my #2 (undervalued across the board in IDP leagues), and a committee at LB3 that would include at least on new kid on the block like Keiaho, Greenway, Willis.
:thumbup: infinity.This is exactly what any owner who wants to win a league should be doing every season.

So here's my team, in draft order:

01.05 RB6 Brian Westbrook Phi/5

02.08 WR3 Torry Holt StL/9

03.11 DL1 Jason Taylor Mia/9

04.02 WR12 Lee Evans Buf/6

05.11 TE3 Jeremy Shockey NYG/9

06.02 RB26 Marion Barber III Dal/8

07.11 LB3 Zach Thomas Mia/9

08.02 RB28 Fred Taylor Jac/4

09.11 WR35 Donte' Stallworth NE/10

10.02 QB12 Michael Vick Atl/8

11.11 WR38 Muhsin Muhammad Chi/9

12.02 LB20 Paul Posluszny Buf/6

13.11 DB20 Sean Taylor Was/4

14.02 LB17 Nick Barnett GB/7

15.11 DB31 Donte Whitner Buf/6

16.02 TE11 Heath Miller Pit/6

17.11 DL9 Trent Cole Phi/5

18.02 QB19 Alex Smith SF/6

19.11 WR50 Drew Carter Car/7

20.02 LB42 Angelo Crowell Buf/6

21.11 LB40 Barrett Ruud TB/10

22.02 RB47 Correll Buckhalter Phi/5

23.11 WR48 Bobby Engram Sea/8

24.02 DB24 Antrel Rolle Ari/8

25.11 RB69 Chris Henry Ten/4

26.02 DB67 Lawyer Milloy Atl/8

27.11 QB27 Tarvaris Jackson Min/5

28.02 DB110 Gerald Sensabaugh Jac/4

29.11 LB48 David Thornton Ten/4

30.02 PK4 Jason Elam Den/6

31.11 RB111 Cecil Sapp Den/6

32.02 PK8 Robbie Gould Chi/9

33.11 QB34 Joey Harrington Atl/8

I traded 1st/2nd picks with Clayton to get Westy, which I'm glad I did.

I knew I'd be going IDP early, which is different for many, but with the values so high for studly players (and my success with that strategy last year) I felt I could take that approach again.

I wanted to favor offense early, but I also wanted a top notch player at each IDP position. I knew I'd be heavy early with LBs and I agree with Ruds that DBs are more of a crapshoot (so you can wait, usually).

Breaking down by position:

10.02 QB12 Michael Vick Atl/8

18.02 QB19 Alex Smith SF/6

27.11 QB27 Tarvaris Jackson Min/5

33.11 QB34 Joey Harrington Atl/8

The goal here was to get a stud QB early, and with my wagering that Vick would be OK to play this season and with him finishing as the #2 QB in this format last year, I thought he was a steal in Round 10. He still may very well be one, but in the interim and with recent news, I had to change my 33rd and final pick to Harrington rather than grab a third DL. By the time news breaks one way or the other, I should be able to figure out what to do here as I doubt I'll carry 4 QBs all season.

Alex Smith is a very nice (and underrated) QB for this season, so I like his chances. Tarv was too much of a value to pass up on (and he's fleet afoot, a bonus in this league). Even without Vick I'd be ok, but I like my chances far better with him.

01.05 RB6 Brian Westbrook Phi/5

06.02 RB26 Marion Barber III Dal/8

08.02 RB28 Fred Taylor Jac/4

22.02 RB47 Correll Buckhalter Phi/5

25.11 RB69 Chris Henry Ten/4

31.11 RB111 Cecil Sapp Den/6

Running backs - Originally thought I'd take 5 and then 7 WRs, but after seeing the value dwindle (and Bloom take both Demetrius Williams AND Arnaz Battle back to back) I decided that getting a 6th was a good idea, if only for the chance at upside. Westbrook's my #1, clear and away. MB3 I've been a fan of for years, and I think his TD potential is 10+ again this year. Freddie T is flying under the radar way too much this year, but I'll gladly take it. C-Buck was a cheap handcuff and Chris Henry is a nice flier for a late pick. You can have the MoMo's and Pittman's of the world - I want a RB5 or RB6 that has a shot to start, not just give me 4-5 points. I'm swinging for the fences here, so a strikeout is acceptable.

02.08 WR3 Torry Holt StL/9

04.02 WR12 Lee Evans Buf/6

09.11 WR35 Donte' Stallworth NE/10

11.11 WR38 Muhsin Muhammad Chi/9

19.11 WR50 Drew Carter Car/7

23.11 WR48 Bobby Engram Sea/8

Holt and Evans are studs here, and with 3 starters I wanted to lock that down early. Stallworth/Muhsin will platoon for WR3, with Drew Carter a nice bye week cover. Engram is a quiet #3 WR in Seattle, but he's an end zone favorite for Hasselbeck. I'd expect him to have 5-6 TDs this year, not bad for such a late pick.

05.11 TE3 Jeremy Shockey NYG/9

16.02 TE11 Heath Miller Pit/6

Yes, yes, yes - this is a TE friendly league. So I got two nice starters and a solid TE early. Shockey is going to have to help Eli without Tiki this year, so I like his numbers. Pitt wants to throw more, so look for Miller to do well also. I love this pairing.

03.11 DL1 Jason Taylor Mia/9

17.11 DL9 Trent Cole Phi/5

I almost took 3, and in fact I would have if it hadn't been for a news item on Ron Mexico today. I was torn on taking Taylor or Peppers, as I have both as "1" and "1A" on my rankings, but I went with Taylor here. I just like the big play bonuses a little more, and I think Taylor is going to really do well (as will Peppers, but I have him in a few other leagues so I just took JT here). Cole gets a lot of sacks, which are worth quite a bit in this setup. A 3rd would have been nice, but that's for the waiver wire at this point.

07.11 LB3 Zach Thomas Mia/9

12.02 LB20 Paul Posluszny Buf/6

14.02 LB17 Nick Barnett GB/7

20.02 LB42 Angelo Crowell Buf/6

21.11 LB40 Barrett Ruud TB/10

29.11 LB48 David Thornton Ten/4

LBs were to be my core asset on defense, as the right ones can post 200+ points. Zach helped me to win last year, so I took him once again. Poz should be a very solid #2, but I took a solid backup / handcuff in Crowell who is a nice 'backer in his own right. Barnett should post very nice numbers (another possible lawsuit, please no....) and that's a good starting corps. I needed backups early here as we start 3 and I took two "6" byes, so enter Mr. Ruud as LB5. Tampa Bay MLB should be a good contributor, and I was very surprised to see Thornton fall so late. That kind of production (109 combined tackes, 87 solo, LB#43 in 2006) in Round 29 was a nice value.

13.11 DB20 Sean Taylor Was/4

15.11 DB31 Donte Whitner Buf/6

24.02 DB24 Antrel Rolle Ari/8

26.02 DB67 Lawyer Milloy Atl/8

28.02 DB110 Gerald Sensabaugh Jac/4

Again, starting 3 DBs so I needed some depth, but 5 seemed like a good number. Sean Taylor and Donte Whitner, well, few can argue against them being in the Top 20 this season once again. Rolle and Milloy should post solid numbers and Sensabaugh felt like the best match late in the draft. With no Darius left in Jax, I think he could put up similar numbers and that should be good enough for a few starts.

30.02 PK4 Jason Elam Den/6

32.02 PK8 Robbie Gould Chi/9

Elam is a stud kicker, and I was surprised that everyone sluffed getting a second one. I'll take Gould and pair him with Elam to have the best set of PKs here, as several games last season were decided by 5 points or less. That could be enough of a difference to make PKs matter.

Overall I drafted according to the strategy I wanted. RB early, load up on WRs, take a 2nd RB a little later than most and QB much later (I wasn't last for QB1, but it was close), grab a solid TE earlier than usual. I wanted 2-3 stud IDPs early to start in my 8 starters on a weekly basis, and emphasize LB over DL or DB after I had one good one each.

Take 2 kickers later, with later draft picks emphasizing upside instead of steady performance. Overall, I was happy with the outcome (aside from Vick's news).

McIntosh wasn't even drafted yet Dan Morgan, Nicholas, Paris Lenon were? :thumbdown:

Linebackers
With London Fletcher and Marcus Washington there, McIntiosh may only be a 2 down LB. If he is, I don't see him being a viable fantasy LB this year. That likely is why nobody drafted him. I drafted Morgan and Nicholas, and will have the reasons shortly when I do my team analysis.

McIntosh wasn't even drafted yet Dan Morgan, Nicholas, Paris Lenon were? :thumbdown:

Linebackers
With London Fletcher and Marcus Washington there, McIntiosh may only be a 2 down LB. If he is, I don't see him being a viable fantasy LB this year. That likely is why nobody drafted him. I drafted Morgan and Nicholas, and will have the reasons shortly when I do my team analysis.
They do both have upside. I have both in a dynasty just to see if they have value.

McIntosh wasn't even drafted yet Dan Morgan, Nicholas, Paris Lenon were? :bag:

Linebackers
I would have considered McIntosh over Lenon, but I have Fletcher-Baker and didn't really see the point in doubling up from the same defense. If my LB1 was anyone else, I might have taken McIntosh. I was also surprised that he went undrafted.Why the harsh tone towards Lenon? He's currently the starter at MLB and reportedly a three down LB He's not a top notch physical talent, but any presumptive 3 down LB (his main competition in the short term, Teddy Lehman, will be lucky to ever get back to his early career form, his long term competition, Johnny Baldwin, is far away from being able to start mentally, although he's an excellent physical talent. Guys like Keiaho and Wilhelm are getting more hype, but Lenon is a nice sleeper in his own right, and much much cheaper.

McIntosh wasn't even drafted yet Dan Morgan, Nicholas, Paris Lenon were? :excited:

Linebackers
I would have considered McIntosh over Lenon, but I have Fletcher-Baker and didn't really see the point in doubling up from the same defense. If my LB1 was anyone else, I might have taken McIntosh. I was also surprised that he went undrafted.Why the harsh tone towards Lenon? He's currently the starter at MLB and reportedly a three down LB He's not a top notch physical talent, but any presumptive 3 down LB (his main competition in the short term, Teddy Lehman, will be lucky to ever get back to his early career form, his long term competition, Johnny Baldwin, is far away from being able to start mentally, although he's an excellent physical talent. Guys like Keiaho and Wilhelm are getting more hype, but Lenon is a nice sleeper in his own right, and much much cheaper.
Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh. I picked him off waivers(very cheap) but thought it was doubtful he remained the starter.

I picked him up after reading that article. Marinelli does seem to like him so I could be wrong there.

Borbely's Bunker Brigade

My basic plan before we started was as follows:

I drew the 3rd spot in the draft, so the basic plan was to take LJ, and go from there. With the generous TE scoring (TEs and WRs get .5PPR, RBs get ,25; TEs also get ,2 points per yard after 50 yards), I was praying that Gates would fall to me. This would determine the remainder of the early rounds. If Gates was there, I was taking him, as he is a HUGE weapon in this scoring system. If not, I would take a RB if a good one was available; if not, stud WR, and another stud WR in round 3. If I didn't get a quality RB in either round 2 or 3, I likely would have tried to get 2 more by the end of round 6.

I definitely wanted one of the top 7 TEs on my board, and was prepared to let QB slide for a bit unless one fell to me. I also was prepared to let WR3 go and grab a couple from rounds 8-12. WR4 and above, I was planning on letting go as long as possible.

As far as IDPs, I wanted to grab 2 stud DEs early, and play them every week. I feel the elite DEs drop off fast and steep. I also was hoping for 2 every week DBs, with the 3rd being rotated. I wanted at least 1 top 10 LB if possible, but after that, I was prepared to let LB go longer because I feel the position is deep, plus LBs seem to come out of nowhere more than other positions (Chris Draft, Danny Clark, Demorrio Williams for example, just to name a few). I knew one position would be weaker than the rest, and I chose LB because I feel it is a deep position and pretty much interchangeable once you get to about LB30-35, and above.

I am one who usually can find WRs and LBs later than other positions, so I felt comfortable with my plan. I also like to take chances at certain points on upside guys, and mix them with safe players, by position.

My basic IDP strategy is to get high tackle guys, even with a slightly generous big play scoring. The reason is they are more consistent from week to week. I also adjusted this slightly to the league scoring, but I did not want players with inconsistent or low tackle numbers. I like consistency from my IDPs more than the spiked highs and lows.

I also knew that I had to be sharp drafting with this group, and limit mistakes, or I would take a beating.

Here is the position by position breakdown:

QB

Donovan McNabb (7.03)

Byron Leftwich (18.10)

Matt Schaub (19.03)

I had originally planned on not taking a top QB unless the value was too good to pass up. I saw Brees slip into round 5, and would have taken him at 5.03, only to see him go to Grant at 5.02. Then round 7 approached and McNabb was still available. He put up Manning type numbers last season and generally has been a top QB when healthy. I felt the reward was much greater than the risk at this point, so I selected him. I decided to wait as long as possible for 2 backups (I usually like 3 dependable QBs), and took Leftwich as the 22nd QB taken. Leftwich was 10th in PPG in this scoring last season, and I wanted this kind of backup, even with the injury risk. Schaub was taken as QB25 right after Leftwich, and the objective with my 3rd QB was someone who will start every week barring injury.

Overall, I loved the value of McNabb, and am satisfied with the backups considering I waited quite some time to select them.

GRADE: B (It would have been an A-, but McNabb's injury history can't be ignored)

RB

Larry Johnson (1.03)

Ronnie Brown (3.03)

Vernand Morency (10.10)

Chris Brown (12.10)

Dwayne Wright (25.03)

Michael Pittman (32.10)

LJ was a no brainer, and I am thrilled to have a beast like him to anchor my team. After taking Gates in round 2, I was completely shocked to see Ronnie Brown available at 3.03, and I feel this was an absolute steal, and was the key pick in my draft. I now did not have to worry about using RBBC types every week. That allowed me to fill my other offensive starters earlier. I saw RBs disappearing from this point until the 10th round, and did not see a good value pick, so I decided to load up on stud starters and let RB depth go for a bit. I took Morency at 10.10 and Chris Brown at 12.10. At this point, there was not much to choose from. These two are the RBs I feel will get more work than their competition. If one pans out, I will be satisfied considering where I selected them. Dwayne Wright was a bargain at 25.03, and I feel he will get enough work to justify a RB5 spot on my team. Pittman was a late pick at 32.10, and was taken because Caddy has had back issues and I feel if Caddy goes down, Pittman will be a solid RB. There was no risk this late.

Overall, I loved the value of Ronnie Brown at 3.03, and combined with LJ, gives me a strong 1-2 punch. Brown falling to me at 3.03 was the key part of my draft. The depth is a mild concern, but I liked the value of the bench players with respect to where I selected them.

GRADE: B+

WR

Marques Colston (4.10)

Hines Ward (5.03)

Mark Clayton (6.10)

Matt Jones (15.03)

Eddie Kennison (16.10)

Chris Henry (24.10)

Considering I did not select a WR until 4.10, I feel I got tremendous value. Colston fell to me at 4.10 and that really had an impact on the quality of my starters. Ward at 5.03 is a solid top 15 WR and I feel he will have a great year, as Ben will not be the mess he was last season. I just missed on Braylon Edwards, as Rudnicki selected him one pick before me, so I settled for Mark Clayton at 6.10, which was still a solid pick as WR3. I then decided I would wait a bit on a WR4 unless one was too good to pass up. I got to round 15 and took Matt Jones at 15.03, followed by Eddie Kennison at 16.10. I wanted one upside WR and one safe one between the two picks, and I achieved that. I went upside again at 24.10 when I took Chris Henry. He is a great talent and should provide some solid production, but I have to wait half a season. I felt he was worth taking this late.

Overall, I lack an Elite WR, but considering I took Gates in round 2, and no WR until 4.10, I am elated with the starters I got. Depth is a little below par, but acceptable considering how long I waited.

GRADE: B- (The grade is based on the players I have. Considering how long I waited, I feel the value is tremendous).

TE

Antonio Gates (2.10)

Ben Troupe (21.03)

Gates is a monster in this scoring system and I really didn't think he would make it to me at 2.10. He gives me a real weapon every week and a huge advantage over every team, especially those who have lower level TEs. I decided to wait as long as possible for a backup, because there is no backup who could replace Gates anyways. I decided I wanted someone with upside instead of safe, in the event Gates got injured. I took Troupe at 21.03 over McMichael simply because he has a higher ceiling.

Overall, getting Gates in this scoring system makes my team that much stronger. The drop from Gates to everyone else is HUGE. I have a tremendous advantage every week at TE.

GRADE: A+

K

Jason Hanson (30.10)

A kicker on a high scoring team that plays in a dome is always great. He is as good as they come.

GRADE: A-

DL

Terrell Suggs (8.10)

Aaron Schobel (9.03)

Gaines Adams (26.10)

I achieved one of my main goals, and that was getting two elite DEs. I was able to get 2 of my top 5 DEs and I will have an edge almost every week at DL. I selected Suggs at 8.10 and hoped Schobel would make it to me at 9.03, and he did. These are two tremendous DEs year after year and I am elated to have them anchor my defense. Gaines Adams was taken at 26.10 and his upside made the pick a no brainer that late. If I need another DE, I can find solid replacements on the WW.

Overall, two of my top 5 DEs and a backup with upside is as good as I could have hoped for. I am rock solid at DL.

GRADE: A

LB

Kirk Morrison (11.03)

Andra Davis (17.03)

Jon Beason (20.10)

Odell Thurman (22.10)

Mike Vrabel (27.03)

Dan Morgan (28.10)

Stephen Nicholas (33.03)

This is by far my weakest position, and it was to be expected, considering where I drafted the group. I selected LBs in rounds 11, 17, 20, 22, 27, 28 and 33. I am betting I waited longer across the board to pick my LBs. I was pretty happy getting Morrison with my 11.03. He is not a stud, but is a solid LB and he finished 10th in this leagues scoring last season. He was the 16th LB selected. I waited a long time to take my LB2 and selected Andra Davis at 17.03. He was the 34th LB taken, and was one of many in the cluster of LB3 types, and since I waited so long, I knew I would not get a solid LB2. Beason at 20.10 (44th LB taken) was a steal in my opinion, and made my overall starters much better than I could have hoped for. He should start at WLB, and then move to the middle WHEN Morgan gets hurt. Morgan may not play at all, in which case I have a starting MLB on a team which produces high scoring MLBs every year. Odell Thurman was a pick based strictly on upside at pick 22.10. I feel if he gets a legit chance to compete that he could produce top 10 numbers at either MLB or WLB. This is a high risk pick, but the rewards are so high that he could change my LBs from below average to great. Morgan was a huge risk at 28.10, but he produces elite level fantasy numbers when he plays. If I can get 4-5 games from him, the pick is worth it in round 28. I selected Stephen Nicholas at 33.03, mainly because of Demorrios injury. If Nicholas starts in Atlanta, he could produce respectable numbers. This late, it was worth the risk. If he doesn't start, I can cut him and pick up someone else.

Overall, the weakest area of my team. I took some chances with Thurman and Morgan. The upside was worth it, especially with this being a weakness.

GRADE: C- (If Odell can earn a starting job, this grade will be much higher).

DB

Brian Dawkins (13.03)

Antoine Winfield (14.10)

Rodney Harrison (23.03)

Sabby Piscitelli (29.03)

Daniel Bullocks (31.03)

I was elated to get Dawkins at 13.03, as the 13th DB selected. He finished 11th last year and 5th in 2005 in this leagues scoring, and I am comfortable with him as my DB 1, considering waiting this long to take a DB. Winfield is a solid DB who puts up consistent tackle numbers every year. He was 19th in scoring last year and is a solid DB2 at pick 14.10. I waited until 23.03 to make another pick and gambled on Rodney Harrison being healthy. He can be a respectable DB3 if he is healthy. Piscitelli was my pick at 29.03, and I feel this will be a great value pick if he can earn the starting job at some point. Bullocks was my last Db at 31.03, and may wind up starting at SS if Kennedy doesnt play better. This late, it was worth the chance.

Overall, I got 2 solid every week DBs despite waiting until the 13th round. DB3 will be a concern and depth is not great. But since I waited so long, it's not surprising.

GRADE: B-

Borbely's Bunker Brigade starting lineup:

QB: Donovan McNabb

RB: Larry Johnson, Ronnie Brown

WR: Marques Colston, Hines Ward, Mark Clayton

TE: Antonio Gates

K: Jason Hanson

DL: Terrell Suggs, Aaron Schobel

LB: Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Jon Beason

DB: Brian Dawkins, Antoine Winfield, Rodney Harrison

I feel that my starters are as good as anyones, and I fully expect to compete. The biggest areas of concern are my LBs after Morrison, DB3, and mild concern about RB depth. I felt like i got a lot of value across the board and I think my draft was solid all the way around.

McIntosh wasn't even drafted yet Dan Morgan, Nicholas, Paris Lenon were? :lmao:

Linebackers
I like Lenon as well and I have him on other teams - his bye just didn't fit well with this team. Bloom and I seem to have had similar takes on this draft, so I'm glad we were at opposite ends of the snake.

McIntosh wasn't even drafted yet Dan Morgan, Nicholas, Paris Lenon were? :lmao:

Linebackers
Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh. I picked him off waivers(very cheap) but thought it was doubtful he remained the starter.

I picked him up after reading that article. Marinelli does seem to like him so I could be wrong there.
Unless the Lions pick up a LB, Lenon is almost guaranteed to start.

So, against all that is holy to a veteran IDP owner, I planned to slough LBs until at least the 8th round.

9.08 Mike Peterson

10.05 DJ Williams

11.08 Patrick Willis
I did this with great results for a few years ion the earlier 00s. I thought it prudent since I believed I had stronger IDP projections than most. I could load up the offense when those LBs and DBs first started falling and find very similar production, if not better, just a couple rounds later. In two very similar leagues over the past two seasons it just hasn't gone well. But, I look at that threesome and think you may have pulled it off. Of course, you were loading up at DB in 5 and 6 where I was generally stacking my offense. It's probably a "theory/approach" a bang around in my head more than anything when it comes to IDP redrafts.

Chaos Commish said:
So, against all that is holy to a veteran IDP owner, I planned to slough LBs until at least the 8th round.

9.08 Mike Peterson

10.05 DJ Williams

11.08 Patrick Willis
I did this with great results for a few years ion the earlier 00s. I thought it prudent since I believed I had stronger IDP projections than most. I could load up the offense when those LBs and DBs first started falling and find very similar production, if not better, just a couple rounds later. In two very similar leagues over the past two seasons it just hasn't gone well. But, I look at that threesome and think you may have pulled it off. Of course, you were loading up at DB in 5 and 6 where I was generally stacking my offense. It's probably a "theory/approach" a bang around in my head more than anything when it comes to IDP redrafts.
It was just a perfect storm for me because of where they were ranked relative to the other staffers. I think these three are top fifteen players this year and was willing to risk that they'd fall while the traditional consistent studs went higher based on the rankings of most of the other staffers. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable doing this again as I really prefer to have stud IDPs rather than marginally better WR3 and QB1. It just sickens me to see top five projected backers on somebody else's team. :lmao: I think you hit on the key points of my draft. I may seriously regret not taking a better RB3 and TE1 when I grabbed those DBs. My strategies are generally pro-starter/anti-depth, though. We'll see if it works out.

Congratulations to Sigmund Bloom, whose very good team flew mostly under the radar of Bob Magaw's regular season juggernaut, and knocked Bob's team out in the championship.

Just read through this thread again and two things were readily apparent. First, everyone should re-read Sig's mid-thread gameplan post. I said it immediately after and say it all the time. It's clearly worth the effort to go through those thought processes before you draft. Second, it's also painfully clear that I have to work on some sort of :reversebloom: for 2008.

:finger: to my DBs, btw, :finger: to you all. :thumbup:

Congrats on your championship Bloom. :bag:

As for my team, I made the playoffs by winning my division, but lost in round one. More or less, I was just good enough to not be good enough.

Great season guys - my team stepped it up when they needed to....

Jene that makes two leagues that Ive seen you out together a solid team only to get bent over by the schedule

I absorbed some pain from drafting Peppers and DeAngelo, my Carolina bust combo, but this was the perfect year to do the shotgun approach with backup RBs, and as in many other leagues, Brandon Marshall was huge - going to miss getting him in the 7th-9th rounds in every league next year. :goodposting:

On D, my DL flopped, but Will Smith mustered up a strong finish to carry me, while Peppers was on my bench for the big game. Fletcher was the anchor I was hoping for when I took him early, couldnt have asked for more from ware, and Keiaho/Jackson/Lenon was a great three-headed #3. Yes, you can wait on LB and be just fine. At DB, Richard Marshall's strong finish was huge, and picking up Revis and Hayden very early made a big difference when Tillman was banged up.

Watch out for the Iron Maiden in year three, I think Clayton is getting the hang of this.

Congrats, bloom

I'm happy to see that the experts got burned on "studs" like adrian wilson and jeremy shockey just like I did

BTW this was my first year playing with IDP and you FBG staffers helped me assemble a team that made it to the championship game so thanks for that.

Yeah yeah yeah, congrats to Bloom. He won another title vs me in the final in another IDP league that included Jene among other notables. PM or e me the necessary info Sig, and I'll send you some love.

Great year, buddy! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread