What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 housing crisis - why did no one go to jail? (1 Viewer)

Hope and change.  Now instead of roping people into bad loans to improve the bottom line, Wall Street just buys the home directly and gets a tenant to pay the loans.  Much easier to evict a person than foreclose on them.  I estimate Wall Street may have control of 10% of the homes in many markets and are trying to expand this number.  Just a matter of time before this house of cards comes tumbling down.

I voted for Obama because I struck out terribly with Bush and I thought he would put banksters in jail. But he hired the same elite banksters as every president before him. Trump did too. 

They even went beyond misrepresentation of the packaged loans. After they sold a tranche to customers they proceeded to bet against the tranche of securities profiting on the declines they knew were coming. I thought this was all common knowledge now.

They even went beyond misrepresentation of the packaged loans. After they sold a tranche to customers they proceeded to bet against the tranche of securities profiting on the declines they knew were coming. I thought this was all common knowledge now.
I thought the laws were weak and bad and people took advantage. I’m not aware that laws were broken. Am I wrong about this? 

i agree with your explanation of why it was all very wrong and perhaps illegal, but what are the criminal statutes that would have resulted in jail time?

Too easy. They packaged sub prime and F rated securities into bundles and received A+ ratings. They bankrupted their investors selling garbage as triple a rated.
True, but it was mostly legal to do that under the laws at the time.

In a capitalist system, the best way to grow the economy and create jobs is to limit the amount of government regulation of private business. It would have been bad for the economy if the government interfered with their ability to self-regulate.

i get that, but can you answer my question?
No I’m not a lawyer. Financial institutions have a fiduciary duty to their customers. They misrepresented the securities and bet against them. When they got sued they settled without admitting guilt. Doesn’t mean people shouldn’t have gone to jail like they did for the S and L crisis in the eighties.

i guess it's not really true that no one went to jail, though in an overall sense, i am still not totally clear on what crimes there were with a lot of the subprime manipulation, except in cases like these where the fraud and deception were individualized and obvious.

https://ig.ft.com/jailed-bankers/

https://money.cnn.com/2016/04/28/news/companies/bankers-prison/index.html
Issuing loans based on information you know is bad is fraud, and selling those fraudulent loans to others is 100% definitely fraud.

If you really want to dig into what could have been possible read up on the S&L scandal from the late-80s/early-90s.  A LOT of people went to jail for that one and it was dwarfed in size by the 2008 crisis.

Also, since we're on the subject, this is one of the all-time great speeches in the Senate.  Byron Dorgan, 1999, arguing against the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Issuing loans based on information you know is fraud, and selling those fraudulent loans to others is 100% definitely fraud.

If you really want to dig into what could have been possible read up on the S&L scandal from the late-80s/early-90s.  A LOT of people went to jail for that one.
The way Obama was talking all this hope and change I thought he would put some of them in jail. Instead he hired them to his cabinet just like Trump Bush and Clinton did. Rolling stone did a piece on it.

i guess it's not really true that no one went to jail, though in an overall sense, i am still not totally clear on what crimes there were with a lot of the subprime manipulation, except in cases like these where the fraud and deception were individualized and obvious.

https://ig.ft.com/jailed-bankers/

https://money.cnn.com/2016/04/28/news/companies/bankers-prison/index.html
This quote from that article is what I was getting at...

"I certainly understand the frustration of the people who want to see accountability for those who brought on the financial crisis," she told CNNMoney. "Some of these institutions where we are finding criminal conduct, the level of accountability stops at a lower level and doesn't rise up."

Please explain your reasoning why someone should have gone to jail, with reference to statutes violated
I won't get too deep but when you promote and sell worthless stuff while selling worthless stuff to those people you should be ended.  Legally who knows, money dictates law on this country.  But let's say you are right.  Crappy humans deserve crappy humans.

I won't get too deep but when you promote and sell worthless stuff while selling worthless stuff to those people you should be ended.  Legally who knows, money dictates law on this country.  But let's say you are right.  Crappy humans deserve crappy humans.
You don't like the shopping channel much, do you 

You don't like the shopping channel much, do you 
Dude i needed those 20 knives! I use the grizzly skinner all the time. The bat knife is great for steaks and the buck ripper is great for cutting rope. The crocodile slayer is awesome for cantaloupe. 

A lot of people did go to jail.  They were the guys at the small banks and S&Ls, not the big banks with real influence.

Users who are viewing this thread