What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 offseason dynasty trades (2 Viewers)

10 team ppr, start 1qb/2rb/3wr

Team A: gave MJD + 2.2

Team B: gave Calvin Johnson + 1.6

Team B had Chris Johnson and Tolbert as his rbs, and Team A has Ray Rice and AP

Same league different teams.

Team A: Brandon Marshall

Team B: 1.2 + 1.10

Team B also has 1.7 pick, and only really has Vjax at WR, Team A has Fitz/Nicks/Crabtree/S.Rice at wr.

10 team ppr, start 1qb/2rb/3wrTeam A: gave MJD + 2.2Team B: gave Calvin Johnson + 1.6
What?Surely not? This is terrible
Well, there is a bit more to it than that. Calvin comes with a 1 year contract, and the owner will likely lose him in RFA, as one team has a ton more snotes (our currency) and Calvin is the only big name that will be there. MJD has 3 years left on him. So I guess it comes to 3 years of MJD or 1 year of Calvin, unless of course he sells some parts off to get enough snotes to match the offer Calvin is going to receive.

Last edited by a moderator:
16 tm IDP PPR with contract years and cap. start 1qb, 1-2rb, 3-4wr, 1-2teI gave:Chris JohnsonAdrian ArringtonJavarris James2011 2.07 rookie pick2012 5th round rookie pickHe gave:Jordy NelsonDan Connor2011 1.022011 2.022012 1st
This is a horrible trade.
Yeah. He's getting crap for it in the AC Forum as well. Just horrible.
I would certainly prefer the cj side, but this is not that bad of a trade. Its basically cj for nelson, 1.02(jjones or ingram), and what would likely be an early first in 2012. If that picks end up being the 1.1 I would take that side of the trade.

16 tm IDP PPR with contract years and cap. start 1qb, 1-2rb, 3-4wr, 1-2teI gave:Chris JohnsonAdrian ArringtonJavarris James2011 2.07 rookie pick2012 5th round rookie pickHe gave:Jordy NelsonDan Connor2011 1.022011 2.022012 1st
I would certainly prefer the cj side, but this is not that bad of a trade. Its basically cj for nelson, 1.02(jjones or ingram), and what would likely be an early first in 2012. If that picks end up being the 1.1 I would take that side of the trade.
I find it hard to believe that a team could be so bad that adding Chris Johnson, and losing no current pieces other than Nelson, would not improve them beyond the 1.1.And that's really the only scenario that would make this trade even, or give the advantage to the non-CJ side. Hypothetically, though, you could be correct. Jones/Green/Ingram + Trent Richardson (most likely) would be worth it.

Whatever the odds were that the 2012 was 1.01 went down pretty dramatically when that team acquired Chris Johnson.I view it as essentially downgrading from Chris Johnson to a non-special rookie RB prospect (he's indicated he wants to take a RB at 1.02), and getting paid a future 1st + Jordy Freaking Nelson to do so. Abysmal.

Whatever the odds were that the 2012 was 1.01 went down pretty dramatically when that team acquired Chris Johnson.I view it as essentially downgrading from Chris Johnson to a non-special rookie RB prospect (he's indicated he wants to take a RB at 1.02), and getting paid a future 1st + Jordy Freaking Nelson to do so. Abysmal.
Again, I probably wouldn't have traded cj for that, but it is certainly not "abysmal". Even if next years pick is a top 3-4 pick, he can still add a top young wr to ingram and nelson. I could easily see him ending up on the winning end of this deal a year or two from now.

Again, I probably wouldn't have traded cj for that, but it is certainly not "abysmal". Even if next years pick is a top 3-4 pick, he can still add a top young wr to ingram and nelson. I could easily see him ending up on the winning end of this deal a year or two from now.
It's not only abysmal because he's traded a stud RB for a bunch of "maybes," it's also absymal because he should have been able to get a lot more for him. It's not just the trade you make that needs to be evaluated, it's the trades that you didn't.

Add to this the fact that Warpig even said he'd be happy with 1.5, not 1.1. This makes me believe that, well, it's probably not THAT bad of a team if you are hoping for 1.4-1.7 range. So he gets Chris Johnson, loses nothing (as noted above). The guy knows he's a fringe playoff team, knows he added a horse on the cheap, and dealt his 2012 1st? Don't take his current day roster as his week 1 roster - he's probably not done. Always expect an owner dealing his 1st to make more moves subsequent to the deal he trades away his 1st. A concept lost on far too many and unfortunately probably wasn't considered.

It's not only abysmal because he's traded a stud RB for a bunch of "maybes," it's also absymal because he should have been able to get a lot more for him. It's not just the trade you make that needs to be evaluated, it's the trades that you didn't.
I don't know what other offers he turned down, and maybe he could have gotten more. My point is just the trade as is isn't terrible and its quite possible he comes out ahead when all is said and done. Also, I think ingram and a top 5 pick next year are a little more than "maybes". Plus what assurances do we have with Chris Johnson?A few people in my league went nuts before last season when a guy traded me a sure thing in Deangelo Williams and Joe Flacco for a "maybe" in Lesean Mccoy. Did you make an offer for CJ before the guy traded him?

14 Team IDP League,

gave up White, Blair IND WR;Witten, Jason DAL TE; Year 2011 Draft Pick 2.13

for Tate, Ben HOU RB;Miller, Zach OAK TE;Cole, Trent PHI DE

not sure if I'm down on Witten or high on Miller but I really don't see a difference between them.

Witten has prove hes a top 3 - 5 TE that can go all the up to #1 when the situation is right like it was last yr; but hes 29 and I wanted to move him while its a good time. With all the options available in Dallas I don't see him repeating the #s.

Miller is 26 or something and was breaking out before he got hurt; right now hes the clear cut #1 option Oak's passing game. Hes a top 5 talent.

White and Tate are pickims, rather have Tate myself; Cole is top 3 DL and a huge upgrade over 2.13.

I don't know what other offers he turned down, and maybe he could have gotten more. My point is just the trade as is isn't terrible and its quite possible he comes out ahead when all is said and done.

Also, I think ingram and a top 5 pick next year are a little more than "maybes". Plus what assurances do we have with Chris Johnson?

A few people in my league went nuts before last season when a guy traded me a sure thing in Deangelo Williams and Joe Flacco for a "maybe" in Lesean Mccoy.

Did you make an offer for CJ before the guy traded him?
This is a pretty standard case of rookie picks and rookis being over-rated during draft season. A 2012 1st is the definition of a maybe. Maybe it's 1.01. Maybe it's top 5. Maybe there will be a quality player there to take. Maybe that player won't bust. I'm not sure what your definition of "assurances" is, but Chris Johnson is about as proven a commidity as it gets in fantasy football. The assurances you have about him is that he's an elite talent who has produced elite numbers against elite competition. No, you don't have any assurances that he won't blow out his knee tomorrow while picking up the newspaper or get hit by an asteroid, but you will never have that with anyone, so using that kind of thinking is absurd.

If you would just use the "well anything can happen" logic and stretch it to the nth degree, of course you could use it to justify any trade. So can random anectdotal stories about how a trade that appeared lopsided last year ended up being really good in hindsight. Neither of these "arguments" make trading Chris Johnson for some rookie picks a good trade.

14 Team IDP League, gave up White, Blair IND WR;Witten, Jason DAL TE; Year 2011 Draft Pick 2.13for Tate, Ben HOU RB;Miller, Zach OAK TE;Cole, Trent PHI DEnot sure if I'm down on Witten or high on Miller but I really don't see a difference between them.Witten has prove hes a top 3 - 5 TE that can go all the up to #1 when the situation is right like it was last yr; but hes 29 and I wanted to move him while its a good time. With all the options available in Dallas I don't see him repeating the #s. Miller is 26 or something and was breaking out before he got hurt; right now hes the clear cut #1 option Oak's passing game. Hes a top 5 talent.White and Tate are pickims, rather have Tate myself; Cole is top 3 DL and a huge upgrade over 2.13.
Good trade for you, and really no way this trade can hurt you. I agree with you about Witten and Miller. Witten won't put up the numbers he did last year with Romo back and I think Miller is just scratching that surface. The 2.13 and White have almost no upside. Tate is an injury away from being a top 10 rb who is still just 23. There are only a few DL in that elite group and Cole is one of them.

12 team non-PPR dynasty trade

Team A gave

2011 Round 1.1

2011 Round 5.6

Team B gave

2011 2.9

2011 3.11

2011 5.1

2012 5th

2012 6th

I don't know what other offers he turned down, and maybe he could have gotten more. My point is just the trade as is isn't terrible and its quite possible he comes out ahead when all is said and done.

Also, I think ingram and a top 5 pick next year are a little more than "maybes". Plus what assurances do we have with Chris Johnson?

A few people in my league went nuts before last season when a guy traded me a sure thing in Deangelo Williams and Joe Flacco for a "maybe" in Lesean Mccoy.

This is a pretty standard case of rookie picks and rookis being over-rated during draft season. A 2012 1st is the definition of a maybe. Maybe it's 1.01. Maybe it's top 5. Maybe there will be a quality player there to take. Maybe that player won't bust. I'm not sure what your definition of "assurances" is, but Chris Johnson is about as proven a commidity as it gets in fantasy football. The assurances you have about him is that he's an elite talent who has produced elite numbers against elite competition. No, you don't have any assurances that he won't blow out his knee tomorrow while picking up the newspaper or get hit by an asteroid, but you will never have that with anyone, so using that kind of thinking is absurd.

If you would just use the "well anything can happen" logic and stretch it to the nth degree, of course you could use it to justify any trade. So can random anectdotal stories about how a trade that appeared lopsided last year ended up being really good in hindsight. Neither of these "arguments" make trading Chris Johnson for some rookie picks a good trade.
Who said it was a good trade for the guy trading away CJ? Either way, I can see we are at the point of a debate where Im done debating.

Who said it was a good trade for the guy trading away CJ? Either way, I can see we are at the point of a debate where Im done debating.
Nobody - but you're using that "logic" to reduce how horrible the trade is.

12 team non-PPR dynasty tradeTeam A gave2011 Round 1.12011 Round 5.6Team B gave2011 2.92011 3.112011 5.12012 5th2012 6th
That 2.9 had better actually be a 1.9...and even then, its an insulting, horrendous trade.This would absolutely be pretty much the worst trade in this thread if there's no typo, and still horrible either way. AND the guy with the 1.1 had to throw in an extra pick? Jesus.

12 team non-PPR dynasty tradeTeam A gave2011 Round 1.12011 Round 5.6Team B gave2011 2.92011 3.112011 5.12012 5th2012 6th
That 2.9 had better actually be a 1.9...and even then, its an insulting, horrendous trade.This would absolutely be pretty much the worst trade in this thread if there's no typo, and still horrible either way. AND the guy with the 1.1 had to throw in an extra pick? Jesus.
even if 2.9 is 1.9, 3.11 is 2.11 and 5.1 is 3.1, etc... it is still an awful trade. How could someone think that was a good idea? So bad, I think I would make a stink if it went down in one of my leagues and vote for the immediate removal of the owner.

brutal isn't it

:confused: Hoping there's a typo in there somewhere.
nope
did anyone in your league vote to veto? not a fan of those, but in this case I think it is necessary
This trade happened 3 days ago and not one email or post on the leagues message board

Why do you allow an owner like that to exist in one of your leagues?It must have been you who got the 1.1, or you'd be pissed off about the trade right now.
I took over a team in this league earlier this year but not one in this trade. Team B is also new to the league this year.I am very disappointed with this trade but others in this league may feel it is fair.

nope
did anyone in your league vote to veto? not a fan of those, but in this case I think it is necessary
This trade happened 3 days ago and not one email or post on the leagues message board
Sounds like a dying league. Or something. I have no idea how that could happen and there not be a massive uproar about it.

I took over a team in this league earlier this year but not one in this trade. Team B is also new to the league this year.I am very disappointed with this trade but others in this league may feel it is fair.
I couldn't see myself enjoying a league where this trade went down and there wasn't outrage from the majority of the league.

nope
I can see this trade closing with Team B saying "throw in the 5.6 and it's a deal".

The one getting destroyed in this trade is the Commish???

Wow.

What an incompetent owner. How can he handle running your league?

I stand on my statement that I couldn't see myself enjoying this league one bit. Your league should be in an uproar about this.

nope
I can see this trade closing with Team B saying "throw in the 5.6 and it's a deal".
Okay so about two weeks before this trade was approved, I offered team A 2011 1.3,1.9 Steve Smith (CAR) for 2011 1.1, 2.19 and 2012 4th round pickAfter 5 days with no response I revoked the offer thinking I insulted team A with the offer.

Based on your "logic", people should trade the 1.1 for Terrell Owens. After all, he is an elite talent who has put up elite numbers against elite competition, and the 1.1 is a total crapshoot.My point about Deangelo for Mccoy is that its possible that the guy who was willing to give up a proven elite talent for a basic unknown maybe saw something in both players that made him feel the upside was worth the risk. Same thing could apply with the guy who traded CJ for Ingram.

Who says the guy is even taking Ingram? In a 16 team ppr where you can start 1rb and 4 wr, a top wr has as much if not more value thsn a top RB. Maybe he thinks, along with alot if people, that the to two WRs in this class are can't miss prospects.

The fact that he also got a another young WR with good upside and a top pick next year at least makes this a trade where I dont understand how anyone can say its horrible.

Based on your "logic", people should trade the 1.1 for Terrell Owens. After all, he is an elite talent who has put up elite numbers against elite competition, and the 1.1 is a total crapshoot.My point about Deangelo for Mccoy is that its possible that the guy who was willing to give up a proven elite talent for a basic unknown maybe saw something in both players that made him feel the upside was worth the risk. Same thing could apply with the guy who traded CJ for Ingram.

Who says the guy is even taking Ingram? In a 16 team ppr where you can start 1rb and 4 wr, a top wr has as much if not more value thsn a top RB. Maybe he thinks, along with alot if people, that the to two WRs in this class are can't miss prospects.

The fact that he also got a another young WR with good upside and a top pick next year at least makes this a trade where I dont understand how anyone can say its horrible.
:rolleyes: So if I say Chris Johnson is an elite player you're going to try and lump Terrell Owens with him? I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to list all of the reasons that Chris Johnson is an elite fantasy player, I suppose I over-estimated my audience.You were the first one to mention Ingram's name, not me. And I get your point about the McCoy trade, I already addressed it in my previous post - obviously anything can happen, some bad trades end up being good, etc, but you can say that about any trade. If that is all you're going to bring to trade discussions, do not bother posting, everyone who knows anything about fantasy football knows that stud players can fall off and no-name players can emerge from everywhere, etc. It's just a cliche, and really has nothing to do with the fact that players have value and trading players is participating in a market, and, regardless of how confident you might be in the rookie you might get with a 2012 1st round pick that you don't know the position of, this trade is selling Chris Johnson far below what his value should be. So, it's a horrible trade.

Even if he thinks Johnson is worth this, he should know enough to know that Johnson is worth more than this, and should get the most of what he's trading. It's trading 101.

Team A must have had some cash deposited into his Paypal account after this. This makes no sense.
All trades are approved through the Commish. Team A=....
Somthing is up here. I wouldn't pay your dues, if you haven't already.
Dues will be paid once we are sure there will be a 2011 NFL season.

PPR

gave up Idonije, Israel CHI DE;Hawthorne, David SEA LB; Year 2011 Draft Pick 1.13;Year 2011 Draft Pick 5.13

got Collie, Austin IND WR;White, Blair IND WR; Year 2011 Draft Pick 3.11;Year 2011 Draft Pick 4.03

always a good thing to get Offense for Defense; even if Collie is a huge injury risk IMO

:rolleyes: So if I say Chris Johnson is an elite player you're going to try and lump Terrell Owens with him? I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to list all of the reasons that Chris Johnson is an elite fantasy player, I suppose I over-estimated my audience.You were the first one to mention Ingram's name, not me. And I get your point about the McCoy trade, I already addressed it in my previous post - obviously anything can happen, some bad trades end up being good, etc, but you can say that about any trade. If that is all you're going to bring to trade discussions, do not bother posting, everyone who knows anything about fantasy football knows that stud players can fall off and no-name players can emerge from everywhere, etc. It's just a cliche, and really has nothing to do with the fact that players have value and trading players is participating in a market, and, regardless of how confident you might be in the rookie you might get with a 2012 1st round pick that you don't know the position of, this trade is selling Chris Johnson far below what his value should be. So, it's a horrible trade.

Even if he thinks Johnson is worth this, he should know enough to know that Johnson is worth more than this, and should get the most of what he's trading. It's trading 101.
Trading 101 is great in theory, but it doesnt always work like that. Lets assume for a second you have a crystal ball, and you see that Chris Johndon goes on to have a few more good seasons before fizxling out. You also see that Julio Jones puts up 12 straight 100 catch, 1400 yard, 12 td seasons. Would you trade Chris Johnson for just the 1.1 if that was the best deal you could get?

12 Team Dynasty PPR:

Team A gets: Greg Jennings

Team B gets: DeSean Jackson, 2011 draft pick 1.08, 2012 1st round draft pick.

'GECKO said:
'Hoosier16 said:
'GECKO said:
'loose circuits said:
'GECKO said:
'The Berry Man said:
nope
Okay so about two weeks before this trade was approved, I offered team A 2011 1.3,1.9 Steve Smith (CAR) for 2011 1.1, 2.19 and 2012 4th round pickAfter 5 days with no response I revoked the offer thinking I insulted team A with the offer.
I'm Team B here. I thought it was fair. ;) Seriously though, Team A looks to be rebuilding, so I offered my 2011 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for his 2012 1st. The above trade was what got countered back. Of course I accepted it. I'm not in the habit of telling the other owner they offered too much. Gecko, I see your mention of 1.3 and 1.9... Trade offer sent.

Users who are viewing this thread