What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

No Vontaze Burfict at LB?
Rotoworld
Vontaze Burfict - LB - PlayerThe Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn agrees with speculation that Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict could go undrafted.McGinn is one of the league's most respected and well-connected beat writers, so it's unlikely he's simply giving his opinion. Burfict's offseason has been one prolonged free-fall, and at this point he'll be lucky to be a seventh-round pick. Name recognition alone may be all that prevents him from going undrafted.Source: Bob McGinn on TwitterApr 10 - 9:26 AM

A lot to nit pick, but I'll just focus on 2. Stephen Hill above Kendall Wright and Stephon Gilmore as the #1 CB are laughable

A lot to nit pick, but I'll just focus on 2. Stephen Hill above Kendall Wright and Stephon Gilmore as the #1 CB are laughable
I see Wright's ceiling being Santonio Holmes and Hill having Brandon Marshall potential, but without the split personality....And as for Gilmore over Claiborne is not laughable because most rate Gilmore as the number 2 ranked CB, I personally think Gilmore has more upside and the fact that i just don't trust any LSU player. I don't think Gilmore is drafted ahead of Claiborne, but i think they will go within 5-7 picks of each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Wright's ceiling being Santonio Holmes and Hill having Brandon Marsahall potential, but without the split personality....And as for Gilmore over Claiborne is not laughable because most rate Gilmore as the number 2 ranked CB, I personally think Gilmore has more upside and the fact that i just don't trust any LSU player. I don't think Gilmore is drafted ahead of Claiborne, but i think they will go within 5-7 picks of each other.
What is Stephen Hill right now? A big, fast guy that doesn't know how to play wide receiver. There is no way to take his profile and project it out 3-5 years from now. Wright has produced on the field and has shown some quality assets along the way. Worst case, he's a very good slot receiver. Best case, he's a very good starter in a Steve Smith mold. Hill's slightly higher ceiling does not off set his canyon sized floor and complete unknown about how he'll develop.I've been seeing Gilmore's name pop up more and more over the recent weeks in round 1 and the only thing I chalk that up to is teams looking to justify an early pick on a premium position because Janoris Jenkins has enough off field problems so that 1/2 the league probably doesn't even have him on their board. Like Hill, he could develop into a starting caliber corner, but he's nowhere near that yet. Physical tools are part of the puzzle, but he has not done it on the field and until you do you can't project out who they will be. On the field, both Mo Claiborne and Kirkpatrick are much better players right now than Gilmore. Draft the surer thing first, take the projects later. If other teams want to reach for the projects, let them, you'll find other ones later instead.

I see Wright's ceiling being Santonio Holmes and Hill having Brandon Marsahall potential, but without the split personality....And as for Gilmore over Claiborne is not laughable because most rate Gilmore as the number 2 ranked CB, I personally think Gilmore has more upside and the fact that i just don't trust any LSU player. I don't think Gilmore is drafted ahead of Claiborne, but i think they will go within 5-7 picks of each other.
What is Stephen Hill right now? A big, fast guy that doesn't know how to play wide receiver. There is no way to take his profile and project it out 3-5 years from now. Wright has produced on the field and has shown some quality assets along the way. Worst case, he's a very good slot receiver. Best case, he's a very good starter in a Steve Smith mold. Hill's slightly higher ceiling does not off set his canyon sized floor and complete unknown about how he'll develop.I've been seeing Gilmore's name pop up more and more over the recent weeks in round 1 and the only thing I chalk that up to is teams looking to justify an early pick on a premium position because Janoris Jenkins has enough off field problems so that 1/2 the league probably doesn't even have him on their board. Like Hill, he could develop into a starting caliber corner, but he's nowhere near that yet. Physical tools are part of the puzzle, but he has not done it on the field and until you do you can't project out who they will be. On the field, both Mo Claiborne and Kirkpatrick are much better players right now than Gilmore. Draft the surer thing first, take the projects later. If other teams want to reach for the projects, let them, you'll find other ones later instead.
Hill is a project player that will have to take some time to develop, and that is why i threw the Brandon Marshall comparison out there because Marshall's first year he didn't play much and developed. Wright played in a spread offense and isn't the most polished route runner himself so i would throw that out the window when it comes to development because i don't think either player will contribute that much year one (obviously depending on where they go). I am not just jumping on Gilmore's bandwagon i have been a fan of his for quite some time and i do see him as a better CB then Kirkpatrick right now coming into the draft. Jenkins has his off the field issues but is a strictly zone CB (Asante Samuel) that will knock him down boards as well.

It's about time someone has the guts to rank Floyd over Blackmon. I think Floyd is head and shoulders a better prospect than Blackmon.

I see Wright's ceiling being Santonio Holmes and Hill having Brandon Marshall potential, but without the split personality....And as for Gilmore over Claiborne is not laughable because most rate Gilmore as the number 2 ranked CB, I personally think Gilmore has more upside and the fact that i just don't trust any LSU player. I don't think Gilmore is drafted ahead of Claiborne, but i think they will go within 5-7 picks of each other.
You do realize that LSU is no considered CB-University because of their track record for successful NFL CBs, right?

I see Wright's ceiling being Santonio Holmes and Hill having Brandon Marshall potential, but without the split personality....And as for Gilmore over Claiborne is not laughable because most rate Gilmore as the number 2 ranked CB, I personally think Gilmore has more upside and the fact that i just don't (trust any LSU player. I don't think Gilmore is drafted ahead of Claiborne, but i think they will go within 5-7 picks of each other.
You do realize that LSU is no considered CB-University because of their track record for successful NFL CBs, right?
I must have missed CB-University being a school that produces often average NFL talent at ALL positions... And i don't see many LSU CB's on many rosters at all.Solid

CB - C.Webster

CB - R.Gay

CB - P.Peterson (Star Potential)

Not so much

CB - C.Jackson

Here is why i don't trust LSU (Thanks Wisc)

J.Russell

T.Jackson

G.Dorsey

C.Davis

M.Clayton

J.Green

M.Spears

A.Highsmith

I know they have had a lot of good players come out of LSU, but after looking at a team that sends a lot of players to the NFL the bust rate is very high for a college that has as much talent running in and out of the program.

I admire that you're willing to go out on a bit of a limb, ranking some players higher than the norm. Perry as the #1 4-3 end is intriguing; I would be interested in hearing your reasons for that. I don't necessarily disagree, but I think you probably should justify your thinking there. Floyd over Blackmon is one I am seeing a lot lately, and that makes sense. Even Hill over Wright can probably be justified if you think Wright's lack of height severely limits his ceiling, as their athletic differences are significant (I do not buy into this line of thinking, by the way).

However, to echo MAC_32, it is difficult to defend Gilmore over Claiborne. Gilmore is incredibly raw. He's an athlete first, a defender second. He bites hard on the first move, is frequently late to look back to the ball, and loses track of his position on the field. He makes some nice plays, but has been easily embarrassed by inferior athletes (see Lance Lewis, ECU). Meanwhile, Claiborne is a highly polished CB. He takes proper angles, has great balance, and covers well both short and deep. There is always the possibility that Gilmore applies himself and develops his talent to become an elite CB, but he is a long way from doing that now, and there is no guarantee he will get to that point. Your lack of trust in LSU players should not prejudice you to Claiborne's talent, as he is the real deal.

I admire that you're willing to go out on a bit of a limb, ranking some players higher than the norm. Perry as the #1 4-3 end is intriguing; I would be interested in hearing your reasons for that. I don't necessarily disagree, but I think you probably should justify your thinking there. Floyd over Blackmon is one I am seeing a lot lately, and that makes sense. Even Hill over Wright can probably be justified if you think Wright's lack of height severely limits his ceiling, as their athletic differences are significant (I do not buy into this line of thinking, by the way).However, to echo MAC_32, it is difficult to defend Gilmore over Claiborne. Gilmore is incredibly raw. He's an athlete first, a defender second. He bites hard on the first move, is frequently late to look back to the ball, and loses track of his position on the field. He makes some nice plays, but has been easily embarrassed by inferior athletes (see Lance Lewis, ECU). Meanwhile, Claiborne is a highly polished CB. He takes proper angles, has great balance, and covers well both short and deep. There is always the possibility that Gilmore applies himself and develops his talent to become an elite CB, but he is a long way from doing that now, and there is no guarantee he will get to that point. Your lack of trust in LSU players should not prejudice you to Claiborne's talent, as he is the real deal.
I have Perry rated as the number one 4-3 end for several reasons, I do see him as the best pass rusher in the draft because of his burst and balance while rushing the passer just stands out. I think he is technically sound already coming out of USC (I think that aspect of his game is underrated). I have high doubts that Coples will be a impact pass rusher and i think Ingram fits best as a 3-4 rush OLB rather then as a 4-3 DE.

Zimm,

Have you done a fantasy rookie mock draft? If so, I would love to see it. Or a top 50 offensive rookie list.

Stephen Hill compared to Brandon Marshall? Let me know when Hill adds 15 lbs.
Jenkins has his off the field issues but is a strictly zone CB (Asante Samuel) that will knock him down boards as well.
Where are you getting this from?
:goodposting:
I said Hill had Marshall potential as a comparison...I did not say he would be Marshall at all. And Jenkings can play man to man i just think his skill set would be better off in a zone tampa 2 scheme.

I guess we'll just disagree on Jenkins. Man coverage is his greatest strength. That's what I saw with my own eyes when he was at UF and that's what every other scouting report I've seen on him says. Mayock said the other day that he might be the best man cover corner in the draft.

'Zimm said:
Stephen Hill compared to Brandon Marshall? Let me know when Hill adds 15 lbs.
Jenkins has his off the field issues but is a strictly zone CB (Asante Samuel) that will knock him down boards as well.
Where are you getting this from?
:goodposting:
I said Hill had Marshall potential as a comparison...I did not say he would be Marshall at all. And Jenkings can play man to man i just think his skill set would be better off in a zone tampa 2 scheme.
I see Hill as more a combo of Robert Meachem and Malcom Floyd and may have a similar career as those two. Odd enough that they are now teammates. San Diego would have been a great fit for Hill.

"NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reported on Path to the Draft Friday night that the Jaguars have a higher grade on Stephon Gilmore than Morris Claiborne.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell also stated in a Friday radio interview that Gilmore is a better prospect than Claiborne, the 2011 Thorpe Award winner. "He's a hot guy," Lombardi said of Gilmore. "I was told Jacksonville actually likes him more than Claiborne." Lombardi also sent Gilmore to the Jags in his latest mock draft. At this point, we'd be surprised if Gilmore got out of the top-ten picks, and No. 7 seems his likeliest destination."

At least i am not the only dummy that likes Gilmore more haha.

Users who are viewing this thread