What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Dynasty "Sell High" (1 Viewer)

I doubt it's going to happen, but I'd love to see Reggie Bush there.
i'd love Reggie in Green Bay actually. i think he'd be a great fit in that offense but it would be tough to imagine him coming there. small market, cold weather team and a cheap contract make it tough to come off. reggie could be looking to win a superbowl though.

For people saying to sell the likes of Foster, Rice, ADP (I think someone even mentioned Calvin). What exactly can you hope to get?

I own both Rice and Calvin in one league, and even if I were to sell "high" would it even be worth it? Move Rice for Martin + Picks? I doubt the Martin owner would even consider that.

What do you sell a top 5 player at their position? Another 5-8ish ranged RB/WR + Picks? The drop off from Top 5, to 6-10 is so big, that it'd kill my hopes for the next season.
In a dynasty league I would be happy with a straight up trade of Rice for Martin... you're getting a workhorse back that is 4 years younger.And didn't Martin just score 40 more points on the season compared to Rice? In non-PPR Martin was the number 2 back. Why wouldn't you do this is my question...
Rice is about exactly 2 years older (not 4). Will you feel better about Rice at 29 than Martin at 27? I think I might feel better about Rice. It is close though. On a team with weakness at QB, WR, or TE, moving Rice or Foster for young and already elite QB/WR/TE is a good way to reduce risk and extend your window. I started offering Rice for AJ Green and Julio types this year. I have a good feeling about Rice's longevity, but still I think it's a good risk mitigation strategy.

I doubt it's going to happen, but I'd love to see Reggie Bush there.
On the same note, Felix Jones could be the FF beast he was born to be in the ATL.
Bush, Mendenhall and to a lesser degree Felix are all guys who could totally bust out if they land in a bad place, but have ceilings well above their current price IMO. And Felix is the cheapest by a mile. Great buy right now IMO.
I've had Felix in a few leagues throughout his entire career and at this point I'm not holding my breath for a breakout. It seems like every time he's poised to finally become a useful player, he gets hurt or disappoints. He obviously has some talent, but he doesn't seem cut out for featured duty. I'd be happy to sell him if someone offered decent value.

I own both Rice and Calvin in one league, and even if I were to sell "high" would it even be worth it? Move Rice for Martin + Picks? I doubt the Martin owner would even consider that.
This is why timing is so important. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. To consistently get good value in dynasty trades, you need to be ahead of the curve. That means buying a guy like Doug Martin before he breaks out or maybe even before he's in the league. The more you wait for the player to "prove" himself at the NFL level, the higher his price becomes. So if you see a guy like Kaepernick, Shorts, or Morris putting a couple good games together, you need to immediately try to make a judgment call on whether or not he's a mirage. If you think he's legit, you need to pounce right away. I traded Rice for Richardson and a late 1st round pick (dev league) in the middle of the 2011 season. If I had waited another three months, I wouldn't have been able to get that deal. I got Shorts for Matt Barkley this year after week 7. If I had waited another month, I doubt the other owner would've accepted. There is a "buy" window for almost every player in the NFL, but it can close in a matter of weeks. Once a player proves himself, he becomes untouchable. You will not be able to trade for a guy like Martin, Spiller, Demaryius, or Kaepernick right now. You will have to pay an insane price. But there were buy windows for all of those players. You just had to be in the right place at the right time with the right vision. The ability to leverage uncertainty is massively important in dynasty leagues. Uncertainty is a dynasty owner's best friend because it is one of the only ways that he can get talent at a discount. The trick is making the right decision. That's not always easy. You don't want to give up Ray Rice for Gio Bernard just because he's younger. There aren't many players on Rice's level. If you can't get fair value, I'd probably just keep him. I know that I'm stuck with Fitzgerald in two leagues because I could never get a decent deal for him. I offered him for guys like Dez and Blackmon when they were out of fashion, but nobody budged and so I've still got Fitz. It's not the end of the world.

This is why timing is so important. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. To consistently get good value in dynasty trades, you need to be ahead of the curve. That means buying a guy like Doug Martin before he breaks out or maybe even before he's in the league. The more you wait for the player to "prove" himself at the NFL level, the higher his price becomes. So if you see a guy like Kaepernick, Shorts, or Morris putting a couple good games together, you need to immediately try to make a judgment call on whether or not he's a mirage. If you think he's legit, you need to pounce right away. I traded Rice for Richardson and a late 1st round pick (dev league) in the middle of the 2011 season. If I had waited another three months, I wouldn't have been able to get that deal. I got Shorts for Matt Barkley this year after week 7. If I had waited another month, I doubt the other owner would've accepted. There is a "buy" window for almost every player in the NFL, but it can close in a matter of weeks. Once a player proves himself, he becomes untouchable. You will not be able to trade for a guy like Martin, Spiller, Demaryius, or Kaepernick right now. You will have to pay an insane price. But there were buy windows for all of those players. You just had to be in the right place at the right time with the right vision. The ability to leverage uncertainty is massively important in dynasty leagues. Uncertainty is a dynasty owner's best friend because it is one of the only ways that he can get talent at a discount. The trick is making the right decision. That's not always easy. You don't want to give up Ray Rice for Gio Bernard just because he's younger. There aren't many players on Rice's level. If you can't get fair value, I'd probably just keep him. I know that I'm stuck with Fitzgerald in two leagues because I could never get a decent deal for him. I offered him for guys like Dez and Blackmon when they were out of fashion, but nobody budged and so I've still got Fitz. It's not the end of the world.
Crazy that you can't get Blackmon for Fitzgerald.

Sell Gronkowski - two seasons cut short due to injury,leaving fantasy teams

without the star TE during the fantasy playoffs each year..but more importantly, he appears to be injury prone, dating back to his college days..

great player when healthy,scores buckets of TDs..relative to his lofty ADP , you'd expect a lot more out of him..

at 6'6,265lbs, with the way he plays, it's going to be tough to keep him healthy for an entire 16 game schedule.

I'd let someone else deal with the injuries..

depending on whether or not the Ravens hire a new OC, I'd say Ray Rice is a sell high for 2013..

without the star TE during the fantasy playoffs each year..but more importantly, he appears to be injury prone, dating back to his college days..

great player when healthy,scores buckets of TDs..relative to his lofty ADP , you'd expect a lot more out of him..

at 6'6,265lbs, with the way he plays, it's going to be tough to keep him healthy for an entire 16 game schedule.

depending on whether or not the Ravens hire a new OC, I'd say Ray Rice is a sell high for 2013..
Rice is a sell high in my book. Pierce is looking good and getting more looks. Why am I supposed to be scared of Bryce Brown but not Pierce? I am still a Gronk buyer, however. Nothing chronic and since when is being huge a negative, when it comes to taking hits? I rarely see Gronk take big hits - he's bigger than the people hitting him.

Would love to use Gronk's injury as a way to merely have his owners to consider trading him, let alone "buying him low".

Not true. He got injured in the NFL playoffs in 2011. He pretty much beasted beginning to end for owners that year

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with Ray Rice but this year was the first time Gronk has missed a game. I hope you are in my league and selling!

How about James Jones? Is he a sell high even with the impending departure of Jennings?
I think so. Been in the league for a long time and never sniffed a 1000 yard season.He's not going to lead the league in TD catches very often.Nelson is better. Cobb is overrated, but better than Jones. And knowing GB, they're pretty likely to dip into this deep rookie WR class.

How about James Jones? Is he a sell high even with the impending departure of Jennings?
Unsustainable TD rate, if you can find someone that will buy this year's stats move him.
Won't score 14 again, but had 7 in 2011 as well so he's likely to score a good number again as he becomes the full-time starter in 2013. In short, no one respects James Jones so you are not going to get any value. Hold him and he should be consistent WR3/Flex option in 2013 like he was in 2012.

Sell Ridley while you can.
I would agree with this.Ridley will certainly have an important role in the running game, but Vereen may have just earned a permanent, prominent spot himself. At least potentially enough to revert back to a true RBBC.

A year ago, some touted Drew Brees as a sell high. I'm glad I didn't move him (never really considered it) and he finished #1 overall in our scoring system.But, teams know what I know about Brees (and Brady, etc.)... that he is getting older. And that would be reflected in his price... So, while it would be "nice" to get a king's ransom for these players, are people really getting value when they give up a stud with strong production on the table for some future question marks?
QB (in 1 QB leagues) is one of those positions where it's usually best to ride studs until they retire. Peyton, Brady and Brees are in that category. While they are playing they are top 5 at their position but not many people want to give up a lot knowing they could get over the hill anytime. Unless you have a young stud or aren't a contender most of the time they aren't worth moving.
Exactly. I had Brady/Brees/Ryan in a dynasty league and I could hardly get an offer let alone value for Brady.
I acquired Peyton Manning cheap this year despite already having Brees. His owner had shopped him around, posted on the site that he was available cheap, etc. but had no other offers. QBs just don't cost much in my established leagues.
Manning, coming off injury, could have been an exceptional case. Another possibility for his low price could have been the sellers other options at QB. Or, maybe your scoring system devalues the position.

Unsustainable TD rate, if you can find someone that will buy this year's stats move him.
He is a hold to see if Jennings leaves, if he does I would buy low on him. He will be starting and I am not a believe in Jordy and Cobb is a slot guy.
If you think Jones is a buy low waiting is a bad idea, odds of Jennings coming back are slim.

Won't score 14 again, but had 7 in 2011 as well so he's likely to score a good number again as he becomes the full-time starter in 2013. In short, no one respects James Jones so you are not going to get any value. Hold him and he should be consistent WR3/Flex option in 2013 like he was in 2012.
You're right about the no one respects him point. I don't. Never have trusted him and by the time I do it will be too late. I think Jordy and Cobb are A and B next year, Jones is a step back from both. If you trusted Jones enough to get him in the first place then you're probably the one that should own him...no one else trusts him.

2 guys I am looking at selling are Colston and Sid Rice.Colston put together a decent season nad his health was a little better than previous years, but I wonder how long the band aids will hold him together. Would hate to hold for another year and see the Saints sign a FA or draft a prospect. Thinking hard about this one.Sid Rice just doesnt see mto be getting any better. He stayed healthy (ish) and came back from a hit that look like sure fire concussion to me. My main concerns though are rumours of Seattle going WR early in the draft and also in watching late season games Wilson seemd to realise that Baldwin was pretty good. I just dont see anything worth holding here for 2013 - not sure what I can get today but even if I can move up in the draft to get a better prospect I might think about it.

Several "Cobb is over-rated" comments in here. Where do the masses value him that makes him over-rated? I look at him as a mid-level (to maybe high-end) WR2.

Several "Cobb is over-rated" comments in here. Where do the masses value him that makes him over-rated? I look at him as a mid-level (to maybe high-end) WR2.
I see him in the 12-15 type of range with Nelson, Crabree, Nicks, Roddy, etc. Gun to my head, I'd actually still take Nelson over him.

I have him in my top 10.EBF's just mad that he gave him away for Ced Benson last year ;)
Nah. I knew it was a bad deal. I did it anyway because I had Demaryius, Holmes, Rice, Jordy, Cruz, and others to fill 3 WR slots and my RBs were Jonathan Stewart and Felix Jones. If Benson hadn't gotten hurt, I probably win my playoff game and who knows from there. Cobb is a good football player, but if someone is paying top 10 dynasty WR prices then I'm selling. He isn't THAT good. And bear in mind that he probably wouldn't have had a breakout season if not for the fact that Jennings and (to a lesser extent) Nelson hadn't been hurt. When those guys came back in the playoffs he became pretty anonymous again.

I have him in my top 10.EBF's just mad that he gave him away for Ced Benson last year ;)
Nah. I knew it was a bad deal. I did it anyway because I had Demaryius, Holmes, Rice, Jordy, Cruz, and others to fill 3 WR slots and my RBs were Jonathan Stewart and Felix Jones. If Benson hadn't gotten hurt, I probably win my playoff game and who knows from there. Cobb is a good football player, but if someone is paying top 10 dynasty WR prices then I'm selling. He isn't THAT good. And bear in mind that he probably wouldn't have had a breakout season if not for the fact that Jennings and (to a lesser extent) Nelson hadn't been hurt. When those guys came back in the playoffs he became pretty anonymous again.
Nah I'm only winding you up. In a vacuum it looks bad but trades are never like that. He may have suffered a drop with Jennings back but remember 1. Covb was injured at that point too and 2. Jennings will most likely be gone again next year.

Nah I'm only winding you up. In a vacuum it looks bad but trades are never like that. He may have suffered a drop with Jennings back but remember 1. Covb was injured at that point too and 2. Jennings will most likely be gone again next year.
I think the first 7 games of the year is about what you'd expect from Cobb next year, when Jordy was healthy and Jennings was mostly out of the lineup. A good amount of catches, really poor YPC, a few running plays, and a handful of TDs. 85-90 rec, 950-1050 yards, 6-7 TD. I think Jordy and Jones will continue to garner most of the TDs in that offense.FWIW, Jordy was on pace for 90-1200-11 before he got hurt...seems that is often overlooked.

Cobb is a good football player, but if someone is paying top 10 dynasty WR prices then I'm selling. He isn't THAT good. And bear in mind that he probably wouldn't have had a breakout season if not for the fact that Jennings and (to a lesser extent) Nelson hadn't been hurt. When those guys came back in the playoffs he became pretty anonymous again.
Didn't he have like 9 receptions for 80 yards in week 1 when everyone was healthy and playing?

Cobb is a good football player, but if someone is paying top 10 dynasty WR prices then I'm selling. He isn't THAT good. And bear in mind that he probably wouldn't have had a breakout season if not for the fact that Jennings and (to a lesser extent) Nelson hadn't been hurt. When those guys came back in the playoffs he became pretty anonymous again.
Didn't he have like 9 receptions for 80 yards in week 1 when everyone was healthy and playing?
Yes, and in the next two weeks he did nada. Then Jennings goes down and his production jumps.

Yes, and in the next two weeks he did nada. Then Jennings goes down and his production jumps.
2 games against Chicago and Seattle where Rodgers didn't really play that well.

For people saying to sell the likes of Foster, Rice, ADP (I think someone even mentioned Calvin). What exactly can you hope to get?

What do you sell a top 5 player at their position? Another 5-8ish ranged RB/WR + Picks? The drop off from Top 5, to 6-10 is so big, that it'd kill my hopes for the next season.
In a dynasty league I would be happy with a straight up trade of Rice for Martin... you're getting a workhorse back that is 4 years younger.And didn't Martin just score 40 more points on the season compared to Rice? In non-PPR Martin was the number 2 back. Why wouldn't you do this is my question...
Rice is about exactly 2 years older (not 4). Will you feel better about Rice at 29 than Martin at 27? I think I might feel better about Rice. It is close though. On a team with weakness at QB, WR, or TE, moving Rice or Foster for young and already elite QB/WR/TE is a good way to reduce risk and extend your window. I started offering Rice for AJ Green and Julio types this year. I have a good feeling about Rice's longevity, but still I think it's a good risk mitigation strategy.
By 4 years, that's in NFL terms. Rice has 4 more years of 250+ carries on him than Martin. That's a lot of tread, man. Especially given Martin just had a better year.

A bit of revisionist history - you seemed to think that it was a great deal at the time. And trading for a RB who turned 30 that year was not exactly receiving "top 10 dynasty WR prices" IMO (which is why some here found the trade jaw dropping at the time).

A bit of revisionist history - you seemed to think that it was a great deal at the time. And trading for a RB who turned 30 that year was not exactly receiving "top 10 dynasty WR prices" IMO (which is why some here found the trade jaw dropping at the time).
While I know that you generally monitor my trades and maneuvers more closely than I do, your memory is a bit off here.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=629975&st=3300&p=14688323entry14688323

Not expecting any love for this one...

12 team ppr dynasty. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 FLEX, 1 TE.

Gave up Randall Cobb for Cedric Benson.

Would never do this trade in a vacuum, but in the context of this league and team I thought it was worth a shot.

My RBs before the deal were Stewart, Felix, Pierce, D Lewis, and D Richardson. I was probably going to be starting Felix every week.

My WRs after the deal are Cruz, Jordy, Demaryius, Holmes, and Rice. I doubt Cobb would've played a game for me this year.

Losing deal for me long term. Wasn't gonna win anything this year without adding another RB though. And in this league it's always pretty easy to find WR prospects. Cobb was my 2nd round rookie pick last year.
Deduct ten points from your stalker scorecard.

Crazy that you can't get Blackmon for Fitzgerald.
Thought the same thing. I'd rather have Fitz.

While I know that you generally monitor my trades and maneuvers more closely than I do, your memory is a bit off here.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=629975&st=3300&p=14688323entry14688323

Would never do this trade in a vacuum, but in the context of this league and team I thought it was worth a shot.

My RBs before the deal were Stewart, Felix, Pierce, D Lewis, and D Richardson. I was probably going to be starting Felix every week.

My WRs after the deal are Cruz, Jordy, Demaryius, Holmes, and Rice. I doubt Cobb would've played a game for me this year.

Losing deal for me long term. Wasn't gonna win anything this year without adding another RB though. And in this league it's always pretty easy to find WR prospects. Cobb was my 2nd round rookie pick last year.
Not expecting any love does not mean you didn't think it was a great deal, which you did. And the fact it was a long term loser didn't alter the fact that you thought it was a big time short term winner.Add ten points to your self-righteous scorecard.

Not expecting any love does not mean you didn't think it was a great deal, which you did. And the fact it was a long term loser didn't alter the fact that you thought it was a big time short term winner.Add ten points to your self-righteous scorecard.
Seems pretty plain EBF knew it wasn't a great deal, not sure why you're reading so much into it.

And the fact it was a long term loser didn't alter the fact that you thought it was a big time short term winner.Add ten points to your self-righteous scorecard.
I don't think I ever loved the deal. It was a necessary evil more than anything. And it broke bad for me in two regards. If Benson stays healthy, he starts every game for me. If Jennings stays healthy, Cobb has a quiet season.So it goes. I traded Gabbert for Moreno in one league before McGahee got hurt. Doesn't make me a psychic. Just means I got lucky. Luck is a big factor in FF. It can make a bad decision look good or vice versa.

Seems pretty plain EBF knew it wasn't a great deal, not sure why you're reading so much into it.
Agreed. Better to pick another battle.

'bonesman said:
'EBF said:
'bonesman said:
2 games against Chicago and Seattle where Rodgers didn't really play that well.
I thought Jennings got hurt in SF game. At least that's what I remember since I was starting him and realized I was screwed that week.

Would love to use Gronk's injury as a way to merely have his owners to consider trading him, let alone "buying him low".
Two freak injuries. Pollard rolls his body weight on to his ankle and an arm injury blocking on ST's. These are not chronic joint, muscular or head issues.He does play with abandon; isn't that what we want in our players?

'EBF said:
'squistion said:
And the fact it was a long term loser didn't alter the fact that you thought it was a big time short term winner.Add ten points to your self-righteous scorecard.
I don't think I ever loved the deal. It was a necessary evil more than anything. And it broke bad for me in two regards. If Benson stays healthy, he starts every game for me. If Jennings stays healthy, Cobb has a quiet season.So it goes. I traded Gabbert for Moreno in one league before McGahee got hurt. Doesn't make me a psychic. Just means I got lucky. Luck is a big factor in FF. It can make a bad decision look good or vice versa.
I have to say it is a welcome sight to see "prominent" posters discuss their "bad" trades as well as their "good" ones. If one wants to be thought of only as a rock star they wouldn't do it. It would make for a boring thread as well.Yep, Luck has a lot to do with FF success. So does risk.

I think so. Been in the league for a long time and never sniffed a 1000 yard season.He's not going to lead the league in TD catches very often.Nelson is better. Cobb is overrated, but better than Jones. And knowing GB, they're pretty likely to dip into this deep rookie WR class.
:goodposting:

I'm trying to sell Lynch high, but its not to be. Mind, I have set my sights extremely high with offers for AJ Green and Gronk. Swift declines to those proposals

I think so. Been in the league for a long time and never sniffed a 1000 yard season.He's not going to lead the league in TD catches very often.

Nelson is better. Cobb is overrated, but better than Jones.

And knowing GB, they're pretty likely to dip into this deep rookie WR class.
You crazy!

I think so. Been in the league for a long time and never sniffed a 1000 yard season.He's not going to lead the league in TD catches very often.

Nelson is better. Cobb is overrated, but better than Jones.

And knowing GB, they're pretty likely to dip into this deep rookie WR class.
You crazy!
Cobb owners in most of my leagues are valuing him as a top 6 or 7 dynasty WR, which to me is a bit overrated. I think he's very good but I'm not ready to put him that high quite yet.

Users who are viewing this thread