What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

william gay (@williamgay22) tweeted at 5:29 PM on Sun, Mar 03, 2013:I'm glad I didn't sell my condo in Pittsburgh....(https://twitter.com/...343334999568384)
Also he changed his twitter profile to read "cornerback of the Pittsburgh steelers"
Replacing Keenan with Gay?Steelers 2013-14 season :kicksrock:
Oh #### this ####If we dont sign Lewis and at the same time dont cut Colon and/or Harrison to make room for him Im gonna be off my rocker.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Grid71 said:
'JoeSteeler said:
william gay (@williamgay22) tweeted at 5:29 PM on Sun, Mar 03, 2013:I'm glad I didn't sell my condo in Pittsburgh....(https://twitter.com/...343334999568384)
Also he changed his twitter profile to read "cornerback of the Pittsburgh steelers"
Oh #### this ####If we dont sign Lewis and at the same time dont cut Colon and/or Harrison to make room for him Im gonna be off my rocker.
Seems pretty elementary.

'Grid71 said:
'JoeSteeler said:
Yeah. I don't mind Gay as a 3rd corner for depth but I don't want him starting. I get the feeling the Steelers have had preliminary talks with Keenan Lewis' agent and his price tag just might be too high. As much as I don't want to lose Lewis I also don't want to see the Steelers over pay him either. He had a good 2/3rds of a season last year but the first 3 years of his career he was lousy. I think he is on the brink of becoming a pretty good corner but you can't break the bank for him either.

I don't think Gay would start regardless. As a Nickle corner, where he can sit back and read and make plays on the ball from the slot, they could do worse.If Lewis leaves I'd expect that Cortez the Killer is your new starter opposite Ike. Signing Gay doesn't HAVE to mean that Lewis is history though. Has this been reported anywhere other than Gay's Twitter?

Bouchette said that he'll likely be nickel CB if Lewis were to leave, with Taylor/C. Allen starting at the corners -- if anything, I think Gay is an upgrade over Van Dyke or Justin King.

I don't think Gay would start regardless. As a Nickle corner, where he can sit back and read and make plays on the ball from the slot, they could do worse.If Lewis leaves I'd expect that Cortez the Killer is your new starter opposite Ike. Signing Gay doesn't HAVE to mean that Lewis is history though. Has this been reported anywhere other than Gay's Twitter?
no official word yet that i have seen

Bouchette said that he'll likely be nickel CB if Lewis were to leave, with Taylor/C. Allen starting at the corners -- if anything, I think Gay is an upgrade over Van Dyke or Justin King.
I think **** Van Dyke and Larry King would be upgrades over those two.

'Grid71 said:
'JoeSteeler said:
I was so glad when this guy was gone, now I have to watch a high school level DB again. UUUGGGHHHHH!!! This dud is awful!!

'Grid71 said:
'JoeSteeler said:
william gay (@williamgay22) tweeted at 5:29 PM on Sun, Mar 03, 2013:

I'm glad I didn't sell my condo in Pittsburgh....

(https://twitter.com/...343334999568384)
Yeah. I don't mind Gay as a 3rd corner for depth but I don't want him starting. I get the feeling the Steelers have had preliminary talks with Keenan Lewis' agent and his price tag just might be too high. As much as I don't want to lose Lewis I also don't want to see the Steelers over pay him either. He had a good 2/3rds of a season last year but the first 3 years of his career he was lousy. I think he is on the brink of becoming a pretty good corner but you can't break the bank for him either.
I thought he was fine in 2011 as well. He's basically looked like a different player since Carnell Lake became the DB coach. I agree dont overpay him, but I hope we offer him market value for an above average CB2 because I definitely think he's worth it.

Bouchette said that he'll likely be nickel CB if Lewis were to leave, with Taylor/C. Allen starting at the corners
Maybe its just me, but Id consider this a very easy and obvious decision for the coaches to make.Im perfectly fine with Ike and Cortez the Killer as our starters, but Ike being 33 in May and the Stillers having nothing behind them is a big reason why letting Lewis walk would be a bad decision IMO. If 1 gets hurt we are F'd majorly. Not to mention having those 3 as our top 3 CBs would make it a position of strength as opposed to one Id probably consider a weakness if we only have 2 of them. Additionally, keeping Lewis means we can likely scratch off CB from our long list of 1st round position needs/possibilities.

Bouchette said that he'll likely be nickel CB if Lewis were to leave, with Taylor/C. Allen starting at the corners
Maybe its just me, but Id consider this a very easy and obvious decision for the coaches to make.Im perfectly fine with Ike and Cortez the Killer as our starters, but Ike being 33 in May and the Stillers having nothing behind them is a big reason why letting Lewis walk would be a bad decision IMO. If 1 gets hurt we are F'd majorly. Not to mention having those 3 as our top 3 CBs would make it a position of strength as opposed to one Id probably consider a weakness if we only have 2 of them. Additionally, keeping Lewis means we can likely scratch off CB from our long list of 1st round position needs/possibilities.
Well said...

3/3/2013: Signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus

Gay's contract (per rotoworld)

sorry i know this is off topic but I know this guy and i think this is a interesting story. Would like to see the Steelers give him a chance as a late rounder or UFA:

Rontez Miles from nearby California University of Pa. hasn't let bad luck -- or his Steelers tattoo -- stop his quest of ending up in the NFL. Here's his story from the NFL Combine:

I couldn't help but think about my own life when I heard analyst Rich Eisen making fun of Rontez Miles's Steelers tattoo on TV.

If you watched the NFL Combine – in particular the DB portion of the week-long extravaganza – you couldn't help but notice the kid with the Steelers logo tattooed on his left shoulder.

I mean, it's carved with such dark, rich ink, and so very prominent, that it must've looked like purple neon in the middle of a church to the 31 general managers not from Pittsburgh who showed up in Indianapolis to sort through the newest batch of job applicants.

As I heard Eisen and Mike Mayock squeal with laughter over what it would be like to walk through, say, the Ravens' locker room with that tattoo, I could hear my old boss asking me some 25 years ago, "Why do you have to do everything the wrong way? Why do you have to make things so difficult for yourself?"

I can't even remember what it was about, whether it was the time I called the president of the WPIAL a cheating liar, or the time I told a school board member that fans don't go to football games to see his marching band, or whether I was standing up to some big-mouthed bully in the media, but I'm sure that what I was doing was very wrong.

Eh, for better or worse. But it seemed like a good idea at the time, didn't it Rontez?

"Hey, I'm a die-hard. I couldn't help it," said Miles. "I was born and raised on the Steelers. I mean, I played on their field for our high school championship."

Miles was born in Braddock to a father who had another baby born at the same time to another mother. Daddy left the two boys to grow up and fend for themselves in a drug-infested neighborhood, and they ended up at Woodland Hills High School playing with Rob Gronkowski, among others. Rontez was the hard-hitting defensive back. His brother Vondre Griffn was the quarterback.

After their senior season ended with an upset loss to the University of North Allegheny, Rontez could've opted to join Gronkowski in the desert, only at Arizona State instead of Arizona.

That would've been the smart move, the easy move. But Rontez doesn't do things the easy way.

Instead he stayed with his brother, and they both went to Kent State.

Rontez couldn't play right away because of his grades, so he took online courses. His brother redshirted. But the next year, after Vondre was caught driving a car in which someone else had marijuana, Kent State called the two boys in for a talk.

"We sat right beside each other and they asked him to leave and they asked me to stay," Miles said. "And I told them no."

So they both headed for California University of Pa., a Division II school. But since Vondre still had financial issues with Kent, he had to attend a community college. Rontez, meanwhile, stepped right into the starting lineup, and he didn't come out.

No, there hasn't been a happy ending; at least not yet.

Last summer, just before the start of his senior season, Rontez received the worst phone call of his life. His brother had been charged with homicide after a night at a bar in McKeesport.

"It's a self-defense case," said Miles, who believes the story that three men had accosted his brother. He believes his brother will eventually be exonerated, but of course it weighs on him.

"It's a hard situation," Miles said. "I've been with him since we were 2, 3 years old. We've been side by side. His life changed, but it's given me a bigger chip and more drive. I've got to stay focused and keep driving forward."

While his decisions have been made earnestly, with righteousness and loyalty in mind, Miles no doubt does things the hard way. But those decisions haven't made his future impossible because he has been noticed.

After a second consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award in the PSAC West Conference, Miles was named to the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star game. There he talked to Steelers scouts, who told him that "if I practice like that all the time, I should have no problem being in the NFL." Miles practiced so well he was named a starter. And in the game he made three tackles – one a tackle for loss and another forced a fumble – and he also had an interception.

The interception was the key play of the game for Miles's team. With a 4-point lead, the other all-star team was driving, but the interception and subsequent 50-yard return set up the game's final touchdown. He later forced the fumble a play before his quarterback took a knee.

"I wouldn't say that game was my biggest moment," Miles said, "but I would say it's one of my favorites. It showed everybody I could play. It was one of my favorite weeks of college football, just the fact I got to be next to Jawanza Sterling from USC and the guy from Kentucky and Jordan Kovacs from Michigan. I was lining up with D-1 players and I actually got to start that game and played pretty well."

He played so well he was invited to the NFL Combine.

"He's a talented kid," Mayock told viewers before the tattoo engulfed the conversation. "If you make it here from Cal Pa., it means the scouts have noticed you. And he's got great size and movement skills, which is why he's here."

Miles checked in at 5-11 5/8, 203, and only four of the other 59 defensive backs had longer arms than Miles' (32 7/8-inches) and only three had bigger hands than his (10¼-inches). Miles ran his 40s in 4.6 and 4.62, the 3-cone in 6.97, and the 20-shuttle in 4.27. His vertical jump was 36.5 inches and his broad jump was 10-3.

All of those times and measurements rank well above average, or better than anything current Pro Bowler Ryan Clark had posted while coming out of LSU as an undrafted safety. Miles, though, will be drafted, at least that's what he's being led to believe after meeting for a third time with the Steelers.

"I always knew I was going to do it," he said. "I know I have NFL talent, like I knew I was a D-1 athlete as well. I've just had bad luck in my life. But I'm determined to show everybody I can do even more than this." Do it, Rontez. Do it for all of those – all of us – who refuse to do things the easy way.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1270435.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool story :thumbup: Looks like he had a good combine, I wonder when he's projected to go? Im pretty sure they'd bring him in as a UDFA if he wouldnt get picked based on what it says the Steelers scouts told him.

He looks like a good tackler, big hitter. Good instincts. Based on the combine and the

the speed looks like its there too.

Cool story :thumbup: Looks like he had a good combine, I wonder when he's projected to go? Im pretty sure they'd bring him in as a UDFA if he wouldnt get picked based on what it says the Steelers scouts told him.

He looks like a good tackler, big hitter. Good instincts. Based on the combine and the

Pretty cool story. Ill be watching for him on draft day. If not, perhaps an UDFA.

Well said...
proposed: Cut Ike. Have Lewis/Allen/Gay as the 1/2/3 corners. Thoughts?

Won't happen, IMO. Particularly since, if Twatterverse rumors are to be believed, that Gay was re-acquired at Taylor's behest. One "expert" was claiming that "Taylor begged the front office to bring back Gay."

No idea of the veracity of said rumors. Just saw 'em earlier.

Ignoring that....could they even afford to cut Ike yet? The cap hit may be too large. There's also the rub that, right now, Taylor's still better overall than any of the young guys. Of course, that may not be true in another 6 months or a year.

Harrison’s agent, Steelers looking for “common ground”

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 5, 2013, 5:43 PM EST

James Harrison AP

The agent for Steelers linebacker James Harrison said early on in the process he didn’t think he should have to take a pay cut.

But agent Bill Parise said Tuesday he’s talking to the Steelers, to see if there’s a way to carve into Harrison’s cap charge.

Parise told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the two sides were working to find a resolution.

“We’re talking,” Parise said. “Both sides want to try to do something. We’re trying to [find] common ground.”

The soon-to-be 35-year-old linebacker is scheduled to make $6.57 million this year and $7.575 million next year. Parise did not say whether the Steelers offered a pay cut.

It would be easy enough to drop the cap charge if Harrison hadn’t dug in heels on a pay cut, but it might be tricky to balance the need for short-term room with the long-term interest of the team.

Alan Robinson's about two weeks behind the rest of us. Still don't see a way he's afforded unless he "plays for free because of the promise to start."

I dont know what Bradshaw will get offered, but if Im choosing between him and Mendenhall at the same price for a 2-3 yr contract, I think at this point Im taking Bradshaw. Most teams RB situations are so significantly better than ours, I really doubt Bradshaw is going to get signed for much considering the injury concerns.

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Well said...
proposed: Cut Ike. Have Lewis/Allen/Gay as the 1/2/3 corners. Thoughts?
I dont see it happening. Plus, why cut Ike when you have Colon and Harrison right there ripe for the cutting board? With what Godsbrother posted, sounds like Harrison is getting closer to renegotiating but we'll see.And like I said, I think its really important - at least for 2013 - for us to have all 3 of Ike, Lewis, and Cortez. Im fine with Gay as a slot CB, but lose Lewis and Gay is an injury away from being our starting CB :yucky:

Per Ed Bouchette, Willie Colon is not expected to be released per Colon's agent, Joe Linta.
Big Ben and Willie are very good friends, wonder if Ben has anything to do with it. If they keep him and he misses a significant amount of time again, then shame on them.
From the story - 'Colon is safe for now, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Steelers come calling about a reduction in pay before the season starts -- if he lasts that long.'IF the Steelers are not asking him to restructure his contract I expect that makes it more likely he will be cut.

McShay mock has Steelers taking Jarvis Jones. I'd be pretty happy if that happened.
Ditto 3C
If we get him it will be a Decastro-like gift. I have a feeling (or maybe just hope) 1 of the consensus Top 5 pass rushers will slip to us (Jones, Jordan, Mingo, Ansah, Werner). It seems like about half the mocks Ive seen agree with that and the other half have all of them gone by 17. The only guy that doesnt appear to be a possibility to fall to us is Dion Jordan.

Bouchette reported today Steelers and Harrison at an impasse for contract negotiations.

....I also still dont get why they ARE re-negotiating with Harrison but ARENT even attempting to do so with Colon.

Bouchette reported today Steelers and Harrison at an impasse for contract negotiations.....I also still dont get why they ARE re-negotiating with Harrison but ARENT even attempting to do so with Colon.
I hope the Steelers play hardball here. No one enjoys taking a pay cut but there is no way Harrison is getting anywhere close to $6.57 million this year and $7.6 million next if he hits the open market. His agent needs to estimate what Harrison could realistically expect as a free agent and go from there. Time is running out though...As far as Colon goes I am not sure why he is still on the team although in fairness he was their best guard last season when he was healthy. Maybe they are negotiating and we don't know it or maybe they are biding their time and will release him when absolutely necessary.The Steelers aren't perfect but they usually handle this stuff pretty well.

If they cut Colon, they only save $1.2M on the cap, unless they release him post June 1st, in which case, they save $5.5M on this year's cap but carry $4.3M in dead money on next year's cap. I'm sure they want to avoid that and likely don't think they can adequately replace him at G for the (relatively) small savings they'd realize.

@jeffphowe: Whoa RT @jharrison9292: It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end. Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!

Whats does this do with our cap #? I hope to god they spend this money on Lewis.

edit: from the ESPN link above, gives us 5.1M

@jeffphowe: Whoa RT @jharrison9292: It's been a great run but all good things must come to a end. Thank you Steelers Nation I will miss you all!
He could always sign with the Steelers for a lesser contract. Does he think someone else is going to pay him what he was scheduled to make this season? I suspect FA won't be as good to him as he thinks.

Sad day in Steelers history today. I had the same feeling when they let Rod Woodson go. I hate that signing and keeping lazy injury prone guys like Woodley and Colon leads the team to have to part ways with a guy who works hard in the off season and lays it all on the line during the season. Harrison isn't the same type of pass rusher he was a few yrs ago, but he was still stout against the run. These recent draft picks better start proving their worth or the Steelers are bound for a few yrs of mediocrity and waste Ben's prime years. :kicksrock: :hot: :rant: :shock: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread