What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Oh well it was a nice feeling but the odds were beyond slim anyway.

Now excuse me I have to cure these chest pains I am having in the last hour :X

Finished the season 6-2. I'm not hanging my head too low today. Obviously a big offseason for the team given the cap situation. I hope Worilds and Sanders make it back. A lot of young guys stepped up in the second half. I expect the OLine to be a strength and not a weakness starting out next year and the DLine has a bright future with Heyward and Hood even if they have to move on from McClendon and Keisel. Big draft and big free agency period for the foreseeable future.

Steelers made their own bed with bad losses vs Vikings, dolphins, and raiders. I don't put anything on succop or the chiefs. They played well today.

As for the offseason, I feel that this is the time to move to the 4-3. No Casey Hampton killed us this year. Tomlin is a 4-3 guy. Lebeau retires. We draft for the new scheme with a ton of defensive players plus one new WR.

Steelers made their own bed with bad losses vs Vikings, dolphins, and raiders. I don't put anything on succop or the chiefs. They played well today.

As for the offseason, I feel that this is the time to move to the 4-3. No Casey Hampton killed us this year. Tomlin is a 4-3 guy. Lebeau retires. We draft for the new scheme with a ton of defensive players plus one new WR.
Very true. It was a fun day and I'm very excited to see what this offense can do next year. Not so much with the defense......

uh oh, 7 defensive players on one side of the missed fg. NFL just acknowledged it was illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
uh oh, 7 defensive players on one side of the missed fg. NFL just acknowledged it was illegal.
I think that's why Reid took the timeout; to argue that. Also, how is their no booth review on the spot on that 4th down fake punt? Guy was stopped, then pushed forward by teammate; lost his helmet so play stopped at some point; and a fumble. How isn't that reviewed automatically? Right or wrong spot/call, confirm it at least. ####.

Chiefs place kicker Ryan Succop missed a 41-yard field goal, but the Chargers were not aligned properly on the play and should have been penalized five yards. Succop would have lined up for a 36-yard field goal had the officials correctly made the penalty call.

The NFL also acknowledged weeks ago that officials missed a penalty call at the end of the first half of the Steelers-Dolphins game at Heinz Field that should have resulted in one untimed down for the Steelers at the end of the half after a Miami coached stepped onto the field of play during a kick return by the Steelers.

The Steelers could have lined up for a short field goal attempt at the end of the half of a game they eventually lost by six points. Instead of trailing at halftime, 10-7, the Steelers could have gone to halftime tied at 10, which could have drastically affected the way both teams approached the second half.

When you lose your first four games and are 2-6 at the half season mark then you know you are in an uphill battle to make the playoffs. Blaming officials or a field goal kickers is misplaced. The Steelers lost too many close games against some bad teams and put their fate is someone else's hands. They were extremely lucky to be in a position to still make the playoffs going into the Chargers/Chiefs game.

That said finishing 6-2 in the second half was impressive and showed they aren't too far from being a decent team. The offense is actually pretty darn good but there are some massive changes that need to be made defensively.

It should definitely be an interesting offseason. The Steelers pick #15, right before the Ravens, so that could make the draft even more fun.

When you lose your first four games and are 2-6 at the half season mark then you know you are in an uphill battle to make the playoffs. Blaming officials or a field goal kickers is misplaced. The Steelers lost too many close games against some bad teams and put their fate is someone else's hands. They were extremely lucky to be in a position to still make the playoffs going into the Chargers/Chiefs game.

That said finishing 6-2 in the second half was impressive and showed they aren't too far from being a decent team. The offense is actually pretty darn good but there are some massive changes that need to be made defensively.

It should definitely be an interesting offseason. The Steelers pick #15, right before the Ravens, so that could make the draft even more fun.
I totally agree. I thought this was a 7-9 team, so they really impressed me towards the end of the season. Once they started playing the young guys on D, and the oline settled down a bit, things really changed. Hopefully the Steelers draft well and make good decisions on who stays, goes, and is signed via free agency. Holding on to the past a little too long has been a detriment the last few years.

The NFL and officiating this year has been bad and/or shady more often than in the past seemingly though. How does that FG penalty not get called? How is that OT 4th down not reviewed upstairs? It may have been the right call, but no review from the official to confirm was just bad.

I totally agree. I thought this was a 7-9 team, so they really impressed me towards the end of the season. Once they started playing the young guys on D, and the oline settled down a bit, things really changed. Hopefully the Steelers draft well and make good decisions on who stays, goes, and is signed via free agency. Holding on to the past a little too long has been a detriment the last few years.

The NFL and officiating this year has been bad and/or shady more often than in the past seemingly though. How does that FG penalty not get called? How is that OT 4th down not reviewed upstairs? It may have been the right call, but no review from the official to confirm was just bad.
One Ben was calling most of the pays instead of Haley is really what turned the season around.

One Ben was calling most of the pays instead of Haley is really what turned the season around.
Does Haley stick around then, or is this arrangement sustainable with them? Also, Leveon Bell playing made a huge impact. It's going to be interesting to compare him with Lacy the next few years.

Does Haley stick around then, or is this arrangement sustainable with them? Also, Leveon Bell playing made a huge impact. It's going to be interesting to compare him with Lacy the next few years.
Haley will be back IMO. He and Ben supposedly are getting along swimmingly now and the last thing they need to do is bring in another coordinator with new plays and terminology.

Once Bell got acclimated ...O was pretty darn good. Makes the past 'terrible O-lines' seem not so bad. It's not that he gains massive yards - but you have to account for him each play. Get Pouncey back, balance out the O-line - and we NEED a big WR/TE type like J Thomas or etc. for 3rd down/GL plays.

I'm not even close to good enough to suggest what the D should do - but shedding old money is the first step. Troy and Ike need to take less so we can get more - and a few guys need to go. Switching schemes is a tough call - could that actually kill a season?

Draft

DL CB LB? big WR OL DL DB

Get a veteran OL in FA or off our 1 year deals guys...?

Of course Ive been very impressed by the resiliency of this team in the 2nd half of the year. I think you have to give Tomlin a lot of credit for keeping what seemed like a naked skydive from a jet into one where you have a parachute and can look ahead to the future.

I think the thing I was most impressed with this season though was Le'Veon Bell.

Lacy, Gio, Stacy all look to have bright futures, but Bell just seemed to have this combination of patience, vision, and ablility to alude tackles in small spaces and gain yards that was all his own, and way beyond his years. He seems like a perfect fit for the offense, and the only guy I could see honestly being a better fit is Gio, who was already gone, but that is even hard to say. Bell said he lost weight (15, 20 lbs?) compared to his Sr. year @ MSU, and I thought the difference in his speed and agility this yr, was beyond obvious,in a tougher/faster league nonetheless.

Drafting 15 and looking at who would probably be available I'm hoping they go for one of the top TEs. Another big weapon, esp with Miller being closer to the end, would be very nice. Clinton-Dix would be nice too. Wouldn't mind WR Evans from TA&M but think he'd be gone. A dominant LT would be nice but the line wasn't terrible. Maybe Beachum continues to grow. CJ Mosley? Wouldn't a LB core of Woodley/Worilds, Timmons, Mosley and Jones be pretty awesome and impressive? That would be a lot of money and high picks there though.

If Sanders isn't re-signed, then WR is a need. NT, LT, ILB, CB, S are also needs, maybe OLB too. I think secondary help is priority 1. I've read Ike may be moved to S, if so then CB is a glaring need.

Evilgrin 72 said:
If Sanders isn't re-signed, then WR is a need. NT, LT, ILB, CB, S are also needs, maybe OLB too. I think secondary help is priority 1. I've read Ike may be moved to S, if so then CB is a glaring need.
*vomit*

If they move Taylor to S they just need to go ahead and have LeBeau committed. Last thing that D needs is another FS who can't make more than a single interception most years. Clark's been a good Steeler for most of his time there, but they really need a bigger takeaway threat.

If they're moving any of their current CBs to FS then it probably should be Gay. In the past when he's been put into position to just "read the QB" he's shown he can make plays on the ball.

Ebron out of UNC would be a perfect fit. Evans from TAMU is a punk and want no part of that guy
The last thing this Steelers team should be doing in the 1st round as Ben's window starts closing is drafting a developmental TE. If they go offense Id absolutely want Mike Evans or Marqise Lee instead of Ebron.

That said, no reason they shouldnt be taking someone to help the defense in the 1st round, and they will most likely have their choice on whether they want that to be a CB, NT, or S as there are players at all 3 positions grading out as mid-1st round picks.

Ebron out of UNC would be a perfect fit. Evans from TAMU is a punk and want no part of that guy
The last thing this Steelers team should be doing in the 1st round as Ben's window starts closing is drafting a developmental TE. If they go offense Id absolutely want Mike Evans or Marqise Lee instead of Ebron.

That said, no reason they shouldnt be taking someone to help the defense in the 1st round, and they will most likely have their choice on whether they want that to be a CB, NT, or S as there are players at all 3 positions grading out as mid-1st round picks.
I'd be ok with Amaro or Ebron. I like Lee but he seems like another smallish WR like AB, Manny, Wheaton, etc. Get BR a big physical playmaker.

Nix is about the only NT I'm aware of that is 1st round and I would think he'll be gone by their pick. Maybe not. Clinton-Dix is the only safety that should be a 1st rounder. At corner would love to have someone like Dennard but I'd think he'd be gone.

I'd be ok with Amaro or Ebron. I like Lee but he seems like another smallish WR like AB, Manny, Wheaton, etc. Get BR a big physical playmaker.

Nix is about the only NT I'm aware of that is 1st round and I would think he'll be gone by their pick. Maybe not. Clinton-Dix is the only safety that should be a 1st rounder. At corner would love to have someone like Dennard but I'd think he'd be gone.
Its way too early to know how things will shake out at the combine, pro days, etc that changes the big boards around, but right now it seems like there is a very likely chance Nix would be available at 15. Clinton-Dix as well, and I dont see him jumping up into the top 10 regardless. There's at least 3 CBs, Dennard being one of them.

What also makes it more likely that any of those guys fall to us is because its pretty much a lock 3 QBs are gone before our pick, and a reasonable chance 5 QBs go before our pick, so we would essentially be looking at a top 10 non-QB prospect.

Such an important draft and offseason. I'm sure there is a plan in place but it will be interesting to see what it is. Hopefully they have the right balance of keeping vets while infusing young talent. I think if they were to lose anyone I would be most ok with Kiesel, Foote and Woodley. I dislike Woodley a great deal more than other Steelers fans but Worilds is legit and should be of the the most important retention this offseason. I would be ok with Sanders leaving if they think Wheaton is ready. WR is a position that has been interchangeable too with Ben at QB. The Pats have proven that for years. Also it can be easy to get a cheap, talented vet like Boldin if necessary to fill that need. I will say I am hoping to see projects avoided. Landry Jones was a waste last year. Ya Ben hasn't been healthy for too many of his whole seasons but with needs everywhere they should have taken a chance on a DB or OL. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Its way too early to know how things will shake out at the combine, pro days, etc that changes the big boards around, but right now it seems like there is a very likely chance Nix would be available at 15. Clinton-Dix as well, and I dont see him jumping up into the top 10 regardless. There's at least 3 CBs, Dennard being one of them.

What also makes it more likely that any of those guys fall to us is because its pretty much a lock 3 QBs are gone before our pick, and a reasonable chance 5 QBs go before our pick, so we would essentially be looking at a top 10 non-QB prospect.
I'm just going to be praying that all the QB-needy teams in the top 15 take one. I wish Mariota hadn't stayed in school.

Such an important draft and offseason. I'm sure there is a plan in place but it will be interesting to see what it is. Hopefully they have the right balance of keeping vets while infusing young talent. I think if they were to lose anyone I would be most ok with Kiesel, Foote and Woodley. I dislike Woodley a great deal more than other Steelers fans but Worilds is legit and should be of the the most important retention this offseason. I would be ok with Sanders leaving if they think Wheaton is ready. WR is a position that has been interchangeable too with Ben at QB. The Pats have proven that for years. Also it can be easy to get a cheap, talented vet like Boldin if necessary to fill that need. I will say I am hoping to see projects avoided. Landry Jones was a waste last year. Ya Ben hasn't been healthy for too many of his whole seasons but with needs everywhere they should have taken a chance on a DB or OL. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
In fairness, barring catastrophe, Landry Jones wasn't seeing the field for at least 2 seasons. We won't know whether or not he's a "waste" for some time. Is Brock Osweiler or Ryan Mallett a wasted draft pick? Who the hell knows?

I'd be ok with Amaro or Ebron. I like Lee but he seems like another smallish WR like AB, Manny, Wheaton, etc. Get BR a big physical playmaker.Nix is about the only NT I'm aware of that is 1st round and I would think he'll be gone by their pick. Maybe not. Clinton-Dix is the only safety that should be a 1st rounder. At corner would love to have someone like Dennard but I'd think he'd be gone.

IIRC, mid first has been very kind to the Steelers. Kendrell Bell, Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, jury is out on Jones but he looks like he'll at least contribute. This is an especially good year to be in that position because if UCLA's QB comes out I for sure can see 5 QB's go in the top 14, maybe even another surprise by the end of the round too. Edit to add: Casey Hampton.

I'd be ok with Amaro or Ebron. I like Lee but he seems like another smallish WR like AB, Manny, Wheaton, etc. Get BR a big physical playmaker.Nix is about the only NT I'm aware of that is 1st round and I would think he'll be gone by their pick. Maybe not. Clinton-Dix is the only safety that should be a 1st rounder. At corner would love to have someone like Dennard but I'd think he'd be gone.

IIRC, mid first has been very kind to the Steelers. Kendrell Bell, Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, jury is out on Jones but he looks like he'll at least contribute. This is an especially good year to be in that position because if UCLA's QB comes out I for sure can see 5 QB's go in the top 14, maybe even another surprise by the end of the round too. Edit to add: Casey Hampton.
A lot can and will happen before draft day but as of now I would be shocked if the Steelers took an offensive player with the first pick. CB or S would be my choice but they need to get a real NT early in the draft. I don't remember ever seeing the Steelers give up so much up the middle in the post-Noll era.

Ben's window starts closing is drafting a developmental TE. If they go offense Id absolutely want Mike Evans or Marqise Lee instead of Ebron. That said, no reason they shouldnt be taking someone to help the defense in the 1st round, and they will most likely have their choice on whether they want that to be a CB, NT, or S as there are players at all 3 positions grading out as mid-1st round picks.
Ben is 31 almost 32. Now IS the time if you want to move in any more young players into his receiving corp.

Ben's window starts closing is drafting a developmental TE. If they go offense Id absolutely want Mike Evans or Marqise Lee instead of Ebron. That said, no reason they shouldnt be taking someone to help the defense in the 1st round, and they will most likely have their choice on whether they want that to be a CB, NT, or S as there are players at all 3 positions grading out as mid-1st round picks.
Ben is 31 almost 32. Now IS the time if you want to move in any more young players into his receiving corp.
Yeah, not a developmental guy like Ebron though, especially at 15th overall. Dude was playing DE as recently as last year.

Now that he declared, Im personally hoping we get lucky and land Allen Robinson in the 2nd round.

Yeah, not a developmental guy like Ebron though, especially at 15th overall. Dude was playing DE as recently as last year.

Now that he declared, Im personally hoping we get lucky and land Allen Robinson in the 2nd round.
Yeah Im not sure if Ebron is an elite prospect for a TE. I do know he snatches balls and is a legit 6'4" and moves fluidly.

If his skills transfer to the NFL (instead of a Spaeth/Johnson as the 2nd TE) I know Ben will use the crap out of him... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgY1-xjk4E

He is talented, no doubt. It also seems like the other top TE's ASJ and Amaro wouldnt be around by our 2nd round pick either, which maybe makes them think about TE more.

I know our TE's behind Heath are awful, especially receiving wise, but I have a tough time buying into getting a TE in the 1st round for this team.

He played DE as a fillin due to injuries. He was a TE first and has played there since his freshman year. He played both sides in HS but that's true of almost every great HS player. Quote from a Tarheel page: "Ebron was considered a high end prospect as a TE and was scouted by most programs to play on the offensive side of the ball." And I don't think he's a developmental guy other than straight inline blocking. He can block but he's not a blocker like Heath. I'm ok with that. I think he'll be one of the best in the league sooner rather than later.

Smith High School

SuperPrep All-America • Considered the No. 8 tight end in the nation by ESPNU • Ranked the No. 20 tight end in the country by Scout.com • Considered the No. 21 tight end in the country and the No. 17 overall prospect in North Carolina by Rivals.com • Rated the No. 13 athlete in the nation by SuperPrep • Member of the Associated Press North Carolina All-State Team as a senior • Member of North Carolina's Shrine Bowl team • Played wide receiver for the North Carolina Shrine Bowl team • Made 28 catches for 682 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior • Also played defensive end and made 68 tackles and 13.5 sacks • Caught 24 passes for 408 yards and four touchdowns as a junior •

if the steelers want to continue employing the 3-4 defense, they must draft a nose tackle with the 15th overall pick. I remember a couple years ago thinking that Phil Taylor might fall to the steelers in the 3rd round (where he was projected) but the Browns pulled the trigger on him with a mid-first. that's the nature of supply and demand. it used to be that only a handful of teams used the 3-4but now that number has grown, and you don't just find NTs growing on trees. knowing nothing about this draft, I still suspect that a starting NT will cost a lot--like pick 1.15.

Phil Taylor, Dontari Poe, you name it. We couldnt get that guy because he went too early. The Steelers need that that plug in the middle. Im hoping Nix is that answer, but I guess we'll see.

How many teams need a NT though? Seems like many of them got their guy lately. If Nix is there he's certainly a possibility but he's about the only one worth a first round pick. No need to reach when there are some guys who should be available in the 2nd or 3rd (would have to trade up or trade a player for a pick, also comp picks could net a 3rd). The more I think about it though and look at who picks before them and what their needs and likely picks would be...Nix definitely could be there. Question then becomes if Mosely, Clinton-Dix, Dennard, a top LT are there too, do they pick a potentially better player and grab a NT in the second like Daquan Jones? I've seen his weight listed from 305 up to 330. At 330 I think he's good to go at NT since he's played all over the line for PSU.

Curveball~~~~~

Our punting is a god damn disgrace.

I'm all for burning a 6th rounder on the best punters in the draft (especially Kirby Van Der Kamp, who kicks both straight style and rugby style).

Curveball~~~~~

Our punting is a god damn disgrace.

I'm all for burning a 6th rounder on the best punters in the draft (especially Kirby Van Der Kamp, who kicks both straight style and rugby style).
Cuz drafting punters has worked so well for them in the past? No thankee.

IIRC, mid first has been very kind to the Steelers. Kendrell Bell, Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, jury is out on Jones but he looks like he'll at least contribute.
Kendrell Bell was a 2nd rounder not a mid-first.

Users who are viewing this thread