What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Safety Class (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
this has the look of being the best safety class in a few years...

vaccaro and reid mid-firsts, elam late first, cyprien 2.1 (might be best IDP safety with coveted contemporary interchangeable SS/FS skill set), second rounder swearinger heir apprarent to ed reed, third rounders TJ mcdonald will start and shawn williams could be soon if he can beat out iloka...

vaccaro and reid are elite, blue chip athletes... elam and cyprien not far behind (if elam was 6'0"+, he might have been mid-first as well... cyprien may have been first if higher level of competition?)... for that matter, mcdonald has some impressive measurables (around 40" VJ?)...

it will be interesting to follow their respective careers...

vaccaro goes to a historically bad defense last year, gave up record (or close to) number of total and passing yards, with the latter contributing to former and being chief culprit for their epic ineptness... how his snaps shake out with harper and jenkins still a bit murky (sounds like they will play a lot of what is big nickel if they have three safeties on field at same time - even if vaccaro is deployed as slot CB... not sure if that will be base formation, but with league trending to increased passing, for a few years on many teams the slot CB plays more than 50% of snaps and is effectively a "starter" - mirroring the trend on offense with starting WR3, which it was designed to counteract)... he has been compared to polamalu, and someone i know mentioned blast from the past comp kenny easley (one of best safeties i ever saw with approx. contemporary ronnie lott)...

elam is commonly assumed to be ed reed replacement, at least in media, and like reed he could become the QB of secondary in year or two... but functionally, michael huff will slide into reed FS role... the more productive and consistent pollard SS role will be inherited by elam... his coverage skills are pretty good if not stellar (arguably better than many young safeties), but he is a great open field tackler, and very aggressive and physical, coupled with good instincts...

a lot has been said about cyprien already...

swearinger i haven't scouted as much, but he has an interesting skill set, with coverage skills and also a very physical, violent hitter...

mcdonald has been called stiff and tight hipped, but i think he will be a lot better than taylor mays (as far as fisher and snead are concerned, he better be, or that was wasted third round pick) - fisher praised him early in camp, though there have been too many missed tackles (not just him) in first two games... some have their doubts how well he will produce even if he keeps job... but if he gets to play in box in primarily run support capacity (he will have to cover some of time, only so much he can be protected by scheme, savvy offensive coordinators will find ways to isolate him, he will have to do better than an aging, washed up roy williams), mikell was very (like top 10) productive in recent years... there could be a lot of opportunity, as the DEs long and quinn, for whatever reason (scheme, inclination?), are not very involved in run support... if he approximates some of mikell's production, he could be very underrated and even a steal... one difference, i do expect rams offense to be better in future, if they have more long drives than in the past (lot of three and outs few years ago, in pre-fisher dark ages), could see reduced IDP opportunity for tackling positions like LB and SS - though maybe increased sack opportunity for long, quinn and brockers if they are able to "play downhill" more often, forcing opponents out of their game plan and to become unbalanced, having to pass more often...

a player i want to focus on is reid... almost everybody projects him to follow in feet of predecessor goldson (and fellow SF starting safety whitner), and be left with meager scraps playing behind almost certainly the greatest ILB tandem in league history, relegated to strictly IDP depth or worse forecast... it may turn out that logic is unassailable... though reid, like vacarro, has tantalizing athleticism and multi-talented skill set... he did play better two years ago, and some scouts interpreted that differently... some thought earlier he was "protected" by likes of top 10 pedigree CB claiborne (ie, when he had to cover more, his flaws were exposed and his overall game unravelled)... others thought he may have been trying to do too much after claiborne left, and can really shine with better surrounding talent and supporting cast?

respected independent scout frank coyle comped him with fellow LSU alum laron landry and william moore (very athletic, talented and productive, when healthy, big safeties that can run, hit, and in moore's case, cover with outstanding ball skills)... he does miss sometimes (again, like most young safeties), but when he is on can be a blow up tackler in run game, and has some range... he will be FS, with whitner entrenched as SS... if whitner leaves in few years, reid is versatile enough he could play SS, but not sure if he developes in coverage they would elect to make that switch...

one point i wanted to make is, projecting based on historical precedents with goldson may be off the mark in one important respect... reid won't be playing NFC West divisional foes from years past... it is an ascendant division that many are calling best in NFL, not just SF and SEA, but rams are on the up, and even the cards should be lot better in 2013... specifically, passing offenses could be lot better compared to few years ago... russell wilson was top 3 second half of rookie season after training wheels removed... bradford set career highs in yardage and TDs and is primed to do so again in 2013, and palmer may (i'd say does) have best aggregate receiving weapons of career...

so there could be situation where, not only more competent overall offenses make for more opportunity, but specifically vastly improved passing games could make more downfield plays, OVER THE TOP OF LBs, creating even further opportunity for reid (if whitner is deployed closer to LOS, and reid with more deep coverage responsibilities)...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're ignoring Shamarko Thomas, who could be one of the better ones... big play guy when he replaces Polamalu in Pittsburgh in a year or two.

You're ignoring Shamarko Thomas, who could be one of the better ones... big play guy when he replaces Polamalu in Pittsburgh in a year or two.
he has been compared to bob sanders (hopefully not for injuries)...

you mentioned could be several year wait... i'm in some leagues with deep rosters, but tough to roster a safety you may not get payoff for three years (not sure if polamalu's contract points to this being last year, PIT has been a team like PHI in reid era that seemed to prefer parting with a player year to soon than too late after 30)... especially if that means cutting a skill position player that might have higher upside...

also, even if he starts in 2014, and replaces polamalu, i have some questions about how close his production will be to polamalu, if he isn't as talented? not a slight of thomas, but polamalu is one of the greatest athletes and talents i've ever seen at the position, when healthy and in his prime...

philip thomas another safety worth mentioning, but already done for year, i think...

I think Shamarko was an underrated talent in the draft this year, and may be one of the best or the best safety talent wise in the draft. He's played great in preseason during the snaps he's had and may get more playing time this season than expected.

Maybe he won't be as productive as Polamalu was during the height of his career, but he has potential to be a great safety in IDP.

Shamarko will take snaps from Polamalu or Clark?

Hmm, a bit sceptical on that, barring injury.

JJ Wilcox has a lot of buzz from Cowboys camp. He had to miss a little more than a week as his mom died. Sad.

Shamarko will take snaps from Polamalu or Clark?

Hmm, a bit sceptical on that, barring injury.
Yeah, that ain't happening. But Troy is always injured so who knows? He might become relevant earlier than we think.
As long as they are healthy hes not going to take snaps from them, but he probably first off the bench to back up both positions and is already getting snaps in big nickel packages.

There's a lot to like here in dynasty formats.

i didn't distinguish between redraft and dynasty, but was thinking more in terms of dynasty...

in that sense, thomas will have more value in future, assuming he starts...

was about to add i'm a big fan of pedigree, sometimes to a fault, and a little concerned he went in fourth... i hadn't studied him much... didn't realize how athletic he is... polamalu-like measureables with 4.37 40, 40+" VJ, 11'1" broad jump at 5'9" 215 lbs, 28 reps...

frank coyle is one of my favorite independent scouts, you prompted me to check his grade there... he had him as 9th best safety, also gave him an underrated grade... comped him with TJ ward (some scouts are very high on ward, he might be more of household name except for some injuries past few years)...

JJ wilcox was mentioned above, he is an intriguing prospect, a third rounder like mcdonald and williams (last i heard not yet starting in CIN)... i assumed this would be redshirt year, but local reporter gosselin (used to be famous for accuracy of his mock drafts, discontinued few years ago) mentioned he could start sometime this year... obviously a great athlete, having only played position for one year after being RB and WR (?) earlier in college... he should have great upside once he learns the position... even in the highlights i saw in one year he played safety, he flashed very natural coverage and ball skills (also physical tackler one of his calling cards)... safety has been a huge achilles heel for DAL seemingly since roy williams was in his prime... it would seem there is a clear path to his starting by 2014... though i think norton mentioned cover two safeties haven't done really well historically (he will have sean lee and bruce carter in front of him)... i think bob sanders was productive in brief periods he was healthy, as well as antoine bethea (not sure if colts were running cover two continuously during that span?)...

Only preseason but.....

from PFF

Jacksonville Jaguars: When quarterbacks have thrown at second-round rookie John Cyprien, they have a perfect QB Rating of 158.3. His PFF coverage grade of -5.8 is the lowest for a safety.

reid reportedly first rookie to start after winning season for the 49ers in nearly 20 years (bryant young - edit/1994)...

* maybe that was on defense?

Only preseason but.....

from PFF

Jacksonville Jaguars: When quarterbacks have thrown at second-round rookie John Cyprien, they have a perfect QB Rating of 158.3. His PFF coverage grade of -5.8 is the lowest for a safety.
Isn't this a good thing for IDP?

eric reid stood out and plays like a several year vet...

intimidating hitter, dependable tackler, takes good angles, wasn't out of position, has ball skills (an INT)...

vaccaro had 5 solos & a huge PD (tipped pass led to game winning INT by harper)...

How did the Honey Badger look? I know the stat line is seven solo's, and a forced fumble

Id enjoy hearing anything really snap-count etc.

I watched the whole game and Honey Badger seemed to be all over the field. His FF was running down Jared Cook from behind and stripping him inside the 10. I was impressed to say the least.

intimidating hitter, dependable tackler, takes good angles, wasn't out of position, has ball skills (an INT)...

vaccaro had 5 solos & a huge PD (tipped pass led to game winning INT by harper)...
Yeah I thought Reid looked outstanding as well. He hits hard too.

Yeah I thought Reid looked outstanding as well. He hits hard too.
rams TJ mcdonald had about 4 tackles, and reportedly he played hardnosed and physical, as well...

reid one of five rookies (only IDP) in NFL rookie of the week voting... after geno smith, three video highlights, including heads up shoe string INT on deflection, and two plays in run support, latter giving a taste of his physicality... reid was a great pick by SF, imo is more talented than pro bowler goldson and will be the 49ers best safety in a long time...

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2013/REG/1?module=HP11_content_stream_voting_pepsi

mathieu continues to play well with 5 solos and sack... top 3-5 safety in some leagues...

vaccaro had 6 solos and a sack... around top 15 safety...

reid had 8 solos (dropped potential INT)... around top 20 safety...

Users who are viewing this thread